7 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

In terms of 2-boat sailing are they allowed to do either? I thought 2 boat tuning was prohibited except in the series, and that ETNZ is allowed to race 2 of her boats during the challenger series?(but i don't claim to be an expert on the rules for this AC)

Once the Challenger has been confirmed, it's open slather. In an ideal world, all Challengers would help prepare The Challenger, but in these days of tactical and political manoeuvring and alliances towards CoR for the next AC edition, different priorities prevail.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RING RING RING RING JS "um...cia... errr... pronto!" RC "Jimmy, it's me" JS "Who?" RC "Me mate, your old boss" JS "Fuck you Kiwis all sound the same to me mate, and I've

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everyt

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/ Since there are not so much news in these days, here'

Posted Images

Just now, Indio said:

Once the Challenger has been confirmed, it's open slather. In an ideal world, all Challengers would help prepare The Challenger, but in these days of tactical and political manoeuvring and alliances towards CoR for the next AC edition, different priorities prevail.

thanks

Tidbits from additional videos on FareVela:

Gilberto Nobili (operations manager) - a tribute to ETNZ’s unique “family” cohesiveness

Pierliugi De Felice (sail trimmer) - has NZ citizenship, additional “boards” (foils or arm fairings?) arriving

• Like 1
17 hours ago, k-f-u said:

In their insta story they blurred the deck around the mast. As if spies were spying in instagram? :blink:

Screenshot_20201020-210206_Instagram.png

If you've ever been involved in a highly technical sport, you'd know that their competitors will pour over literally EVERY picture of that boat.  They will sit looking at it, trying to figure out how every system works, was designed, and how it functions in concert with the rest of the boat.  This will lead those competitors to ideas they may not have had on their own.

I've been involved in technological challenges like this one, and our motto has always been "Steal with pride".  Every single year, we can point to a couple mission-critical systems that we completely redesigned after seeing a competitor and realizing they had a better solution than we did.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

If you've ever been involved in a highly technical sport, you'd know that their competitors will pour over literally EVERY picture of that boat. 

They should be paying Mike then, as he's got some pretty clear shots of LR's deck gear.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grrr... said:

If you've ever been involved in a highly technical sport, you'd know that their competitors will pour over literally EVERY picture of that boat.  They will sit looking at it, trying to figure out how every system works, was designed, and how it functions in concert with the rest of the boat.  This will lead those competitors to ideas they may not have had on their own.

I've been involved in technological challenges like this one, and our motto has always been "Steal with pride".  Every single year, we can point to a couple mission-critical systems that we completely redesigned after seeing a competitor and realizing they had a better solution than we did.

Their competitors were standing no further away taking much better photos than this one.

35 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Their competitors were standing no further away taking much better photos than this one.

Doesn't matter.  You never give an inch in a competition like this.  Even after our product is revealed at competition, we still continue to suppress any information from the team regarding it's abilities.

5 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Doesn't matter.  You never give an inch in a competition like this.  Even after our product is revealed at competition, we still continue to suppress any information from the team regarding it's abilities.

I guess, just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean those bastards aren't out to get you!

It's an instagram post.  Low res, filter added.  I'm with @k-f-u on this one.

1 hour ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I guess, just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean those bastards aren't out to get you!

It's an instagram post.  Low res, filter added.  I'm with @k-f-u on this one.

They are ALWAYS out to get you.  Every minute.  Of every day.  Tinfoil hat is required :lol:

Got a bit of a statistic question

If Jimmy's on one side of luna and ??? on the other helming there respective tacks.

With a single AC race do they both get 1 win or is it half each?

I'm thinking of Jimmy's Americas Cup count (vs Connor and Coutts)

Opinions anyone?

15 minutes ago, gungabow said:

If Jimmy's on one side of luna and ??? on the other helming there respective tacks.

Opinions anyone?

I'm guessing a half is better than zip, no?

19 minutes ago, gungabow said:

Opinions anyone?

Doesn't everybody involved count the wins

1 hour ago, gungabow said:

Opinions anyone?

They'll both be credited with the win

5 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

No other team has fucked around like this in the water (?) is there something wrong they are trying to sort out?

No, this is seemed all pretty normal. Felt like just commissioning testing.

We've seen other teams do a similar tests before going sailing each day. Just never seen it filmed.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, rh3000 said:

It appears Jimmy's still carrying a big ego.

Qsuy8q.gif

Every successful sportsman gets accused of having an ego. Personally, I believe top sportsmen need a degree of super confidence-cum-arrogance to succeed in their sport. Nothing wrong with it...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Flippin Out said:

I didn't think diesel generator powered foil arm movements would be allowed ? Has LR found a loop hole in the rule ?

It isn't being powered by a diesel generator that would be something else you are hearing. Obviously a diesel something is running behind the camera. Irrespective of that they are not racing and only testing so they can do what they want.

53 minutes ago, Indio said:

Every successful sportsman gets accused of having an ego. Personally, I believe top sportsmen need a degree of super confidence-cum-arrogance to succeed in their sport. Nothing wrong with it...

I think Jimmy has been quite humble in his press coverage so far. Jimmy is a personality just like Grant Dalton, I think it's great, so many of the others don't have personalities at all IMO. It would be a bloody boring event with people like Jimmy..! 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I think Jimmy has been quite humble in his press coverage so far. Jimmy is a personality just like Grant Dalton, I think it's great, so many of the others don't have personalities at all IMO. It would be a bloody boring event with people like Jimmy..! 

Jimmy knows how to play the game. Easy for him knowing his Aussiness guarantees a hook-up every time he casts a line.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Indio said:

Jimmy knows how to play the game. Easy for him knowing his Aussiness guarantees a hook-up every time he casts a line.

True.! I think the Italians may have told Jimmy how they want him to present? Just a hunch. Jimmy was humbled big time last time around but is always man enough to lose like a good sport. Guys like Peter Burling aren't bluffed anyway so Jimmy knows where he's at right now. He's a hyped up guy anyhow just look at the build on him, he is driven to be the best and sometimes full on. Good for the sport.

6 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

True.! I think the Italians may have told Jimmy how they want him to present? Just a hunch. Jimmy was humbled big time last time around but is always man enough to lose like a good sport. Guys like Peter Burling aren't bluffed anyway so Jimmy knows where he's at right now. He's a hyped up guy anyhow just look at the build on him, he is driven to be the best and sometimes full on. Good for the sport.

When LR announced Jimmy's signing, our local media tried to get a rise out of Dalts who simply stated that ETNZ had no problems with Jimmy as long as he "keeps his gob shut", a clear reference to the obnoxious way Jimmy played up to Coutts in his public proclamations that Dalts should resign from ETNZ, etc. Dalts also added that LR appeared to have that under control..

Besides, Jimmy is only the second of two uber drivers with Max seemingly their official spokesman...

59 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

It isn't being powered by a diesel generator that would be something else you are hearing. Obviously a diesel something is running behind the camera. Irrespective of that they are not racing and only testing so they can do what they want.

Was an air compressor and generator behind me, being used by some tradies.

2 hours ago, Indio said:

Sorry all... it was merely what I thought was an obvious low-blow/poor/tired/old joke about Jimmy's ego in this case being the reason for the boat being tilted... hence the 'I'll get me coat' gif at the end...

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Sorry all... it was merely what I thought was an obvious low-blow/poor/tired/old joke about Jimmy's ego in this case being the reason for the boat being tilted... hence the 'I'll get me coat' gif at the end...

That was too profound for us mere mortals :)

• Like 2
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Surely this was a joke, just a bit of a laugh. Why so serious?

6 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

That's a very interesting video.  Not because of the foil movement but because of the observed hull movement.

Yeah really highlights just how much more leverage the foil arm is getting when it's slung right out to windward!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, rh3000 said:

I thought it was clever.

9 hours ago, ed__miller said:

Fighting talk from LR https://bit.ly/3dLve9w

"that tend to mask the attempt to gain an unfair advantage over the Challengers who, we repeat, unanimously supported COR 36 by each lodging their own independent submission."

LR and both other challengers were involved.  Anything that could be viewed as ETNZ attack on LR does look like bad behavior at this point. 

I understand that ETNZ was potentially just trying to manipulate local government involvement to get all courses allowed for all racing.  If so, can anyone explain the poking at LR?

• Downvote 1
47 minutes ago, P Flados said:

I understand that ETNZ was potentially just trying to manipulate local government involvement to get all courses allowed for all racing.  If so, can anyone explain the poking at LR?

Yes the ‘We are outraged’ (GD) response is a bit weird, considering that LR doesn’t take a position on if courses B and C get excluded or not; they simply point out that whatever the situation, it needs to apply to both the Prada Cup and the Match. 

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Yip.  It was clear enough to most of us.

I think there is one unwritten guarantee in the deed, and that's that at some point, the defender is going to do something dodgy!  Hopefully they sort it out, as it seems like it should be easy to fix, and Grant can wipe the righteous indignation of his face

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
20 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So use a dark grey cover?

Padding for the extra sensitive egos. Or maybe they felt she needed a bra. Like a car bra for bugs. They are a clothing company. Also, all boats have dark decks that get really hot in the sun.

20 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So use a dark grey cover?

Er yep, it’s less heat absorbent than matte black 

however they like use the stuff developed for AT vendee boat that’s more thermally efficient. 

that deck is likely slippy so the cover, keeps it cooler, stops people slipping over and tools  sliding off 

Entire boom assembly is below deck and wider than a trad boom would be, the skins can then be pulled/pushed any where on that wide frame giving total shape control 

basically like the control nz had in the last cup

plus a lower centre of gravity 

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Entire boom assembly is below deck and wider than a trad boom would be, the skins can then be pulled/pushed any where on that wide frame giving total shape control 

Perfect, thanks for the refresh.

Evidence of it must be visible from a view of the deck, right? Did they have coverings over them, on launch day? 

5 hours ago, P Flados said:

"that tend to mask the attempt to gain an unfair advantage over the Challengers who, we repeat, unanimously supported COR 36 by each lodging their own independent submission."

LR and both other challengers were involved.  Anything that could be viewed as ETNZ attack on LR does look like bad behavior at this point. 

When it suits them, LR invites support and involvement by the rest of the Challengers. Remember that LR took it upon themselves to try to lower the wind limits for the match, without consulting the other Challengers:

"Emirates Team New Zealand was therefore very surprised to learn that the current stance of the Challenger of Record in relation to wind limits does not reflect the collective position of all Challengers. The Defender's position on the Wind Limits is what is needed to ensure a quality event in Auckland for the benefit of the New Zealand public, international visitors and the world audience.” ACAP#06

LR dutifully filed a complaint to the Arb.Panel over a perceived breach of confidentiality during these negotiations, an application denied. LR are evidently being...well, Italian!!

They'd better win the Auld Mug because whether or not NYYC makes it into the Match, they will be the AC37 CoR.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, buckdouger said:

Good point, could also be a surface finish thing. 

Given that people as a general rule aren't allowed up there during racing / sailing it makes sense to finish it with something super smooth and possibly actually slippery, it may be both to protect the surface and ensure nobody goes ass over tits when wandering around up on the cradle.

6 minutes ago, Boybland said:

Given that people as a general rule aren't allowed up there during racing / sailing it makes sense to finish it with something super smooth and possibly actually slippery, it may be both to protect the surface and ensure nobody goes ass over tits when wandering around up on the cradle.

Hiding solar panels :P

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

With reference to a photo like this one, can you elaborate a bit? The skins don't appear to be attached to anything below deck - I don't think I'm quite understanding your description. Thanks

luna1-kjXG-U32001621306906ioE-656x492@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpeg.929fed8ce8852e4364ca73b003aefd6e.jpeg

• Like 2

I'm guessing they have developed some sort of grid electromagnetic control system below the deck, with the foot of the mainsail able to be morphed into any shape they please. Not an expert by any means but would be one way you could control the foot of the mainsail very accurately. It would also cost a significant amount to develop and given the comments previously from LR around the high costs of the control systems/software, it would seem to fit..

3 minutes ago, CaptKeen said:

I'm guessing they have developed some sort of grid electromagnetic control system below the deck, with the foot of the mainsail able to be morphed into any shape they please. Not an expert by any means but would be one way you could control the foot of the mainsail very accurately. It would also cost a significant amount to develop and given the comments previously from LR around the high costs of the control systems/software, it would seem to fit..

You wouldn't need it to be electromagnetic and I think the forces at play would not make it worth it. You could just have rows of tracks with hydraulic cars running across the boat, each track can be adjusted to create shape, and pulled down to create tension where needed, could possibly also include rotation for even better shape.

All of this under the deck with just small slots for fastening the sail to the boom.

• Like 1

I heard that the LR2 rig is an electromagneticfusionpowered AI-controlled system. With a kickass LIDAR buried below deck too, it’s name is the Monster. 

The commissioning will include BB, swinging naked from a forestay hallowed. At night. 

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

You wouldn't need it to be electromagnetic and I think the forces at play would not make it worth it. You could just have rows of tracks with hydraulic cars running across the boat, each track can be adjusted to create shape, and pulled down to create tension where needed, could possibly also include rotation for even better shape.

All of this under the deck with just small slots for fastening the sail to the boom.

Thought this initially too, but all the images I've seen show no signs of slots in the deck. Hence why I tried to think of a way they could control the foot through the deck without any physical connection.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

I heard that the LR2 rig is an electromagneticfusionpowered AI-controlled system. With a kickass LIDAR buried below deck too, it’s name is the Monster. 

The commissioning will include BB, swinging naked from a forestay hallowed. At night. 

BB said show me the money and I'll show you....! Selling intellectual property to the Italians too. The shame of the man......................:D

• Like 1
On 10/21/2020 at 7:13 PM, mako23 said:

This  week you say 

and  

I agree with this, but last  week you said 

Which one is it....? the first statement or last weeks statement. They both cant be correct 

Maybe English isn't your strong point, because both statements can be correct.

The more iterations you have run, the better you understand you model and therefore when you have a real data point (from a real boat), you can apply it to all the work you have done. A 4 month head start means you have far more modelling and simulation data to compare against the real data, which then allows you to move forward to the design of the second boat sooner.

Of course, if your models turn out to be shit when you get data from your first boat, then you might lose some or all of that advantage, but if you are in the right ballpark, you keep your 4 month lead.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, CaptKeen said:

Thought this initially too, but all the images I've seen show no signs of slots in the deck. Hence why I tried to think of a way they could control the foot through the deck without any physical connection.

Yes that is where it gets quite confusing to me too. There were some photos of a boom arrangement on their catamaran test platform previously but nothing that I recall easily translated to a 'below deck' arrangement. 

Wrt magnetic forces, any air gap or separation that isn't filled with a ferrous material would cause a huge diminution of the force, I doubt it would be practical. 

If you imagine ETNZs boom being simply below the deck and not between the skins, that might be more plausible as it's only connection point to its skins seems to be at the clew. But then I'm not sure I see the complexity, maybe they start with that but add degrees of freedom to the ram arrangement so it can translate, and also tilt in ways that isn't happening on other boats. 

1 hour ago, SimonN said:

Maybe English isn't your strong point, because both statements can be correct.

You really are a vain man. Your incessant desire to explain yourself to PROVE your point, is indicative of an individual with high intellect and poor social skills. You can’t handle anyone disagreeing with you. If you can’t see how your two statements do clash, then more discourse with you is unlikely to reach a compromise. 
Individuals with “I MUST BE RIGHT” syndrome can be fun to aggravate at times. However there’s a time and place for everything. Try and remember no one can’t be right all the time. 

5 hours ago, rh3000 said:

That’s pretty much what I couldn’t be bothered to type last night 

thank you 

9 hours ago, buckdouger said:

The skins don't appear to be attached to anything below deck

I never bought the idea of the below deck boom, slots thing.

It was based on a couple of low-res pics from bad angles.

We've never really seen any hi-res pics from better angles so nothing to dis/prove it definitively.

Just found this interesting interview by sailor / journalist Bacci del Buono with Pietro Sibello, mainsail trimmer of Luna Rossa. 

- The softwing / double mainsail is an hybrid of the wingsail and a traditional mainsail. It takes the best of both. The mast (26 mt tall) has a D section. The two mainsail are hoisted on it, continuing the two profiles of the D. The sofwing is more performing than a traditional mainsail and it's a lot easier to manage than the wingsail. If you have any issue during the training you can always lower the mainsail and go back home, without having to take off the entire mast. 

-  Asked by Bacci on what's inside the two sails, Sibello answer that the Rule is open about this, every team is free to design their own system to control the shape of the sails. The softwing can be controlled in two parts of the mast. In the 4 mt at the top of the mast and in the 1.5 mt at the base. Between this two sections you can only choose where to put the battens, and how many of them (although there is a maximum limit on how many battens you can use). You can choose also how to connect the battens to the mast. You can connect them directly to the mast, so they rotate with it, or you can put something between the mast and the batten in order to make it move less when the mast rotate. 

- The mast rotates, and the spreaders are connected to it with a ball, a little sphere that allow the spreaders to keep their position while the mast is rotated.

- They sail at more than  30 knots upwind, with 15 knots of wind. The apparent wind is more than 50 knots, so the aerodynamics is a key element of this boats, and that's why you have to seal the lower part of the mainsail (or the boom) to the deck. You have to be very "clean" very essential, in that part of the boat, and having a boom makes it difficult. He confirms that the current boomless setup is achieved with two semi rigid battens. He adds that of course removing the boom it's not easy, but he's happy about their solution. 

- American magic has a traditional boom, while ETNZ has a boom that is not 100% structural, they use ut to control the camber of the mainsail. 

- The main purpose of closing the gap between the lower part of the sail / the boom and the deck is to avoid the passing of air between the deck and the boom. This could disturb the main air flow creating turbolence. Every team do this, with different solutions. Teams that have the boom put a sort of apron under it and close the gap. He adds that it's difficout to cover the boom without having defects in the shape of the mainsail and in the air flow. If the sail is sealed with the deck it's more clean and more performing. 

- He would choose the wingsail over the soft wing for performances, but the sofwing is a lot more manageable. 

- Asked about the possible future use of the double mainsail in other boat classes, he answer that it's possible it will be used in top races circuits, but not in less competitive environment. Bacci jokes that it will be used in the Sidney - Hobart but not in the  Alassio (a small italian city) Winter Regatta. 

• Like 3
On 10/21/2020 at 2:03 PM, Xlot said:

Tidbits from additional videos on FareVela:

Gilberto Nobili (operations manager) - a tribute to ETNZ’s unique “family” cohesiveness

Pierliugi De Felice (sail trimmer) - has NZ citizenship, additional “boards” (foils or arm fairings?) arriving

Thank you @Xlot ! I missed it, here's the full report.

Gilberto Nobili (operation manager)

- This is his sixth campaign, the last one was with ETNZ. Team New Zealand is more a family than a team, they've been working together a lot of years, so they're very strong. It' s difficult to re-create this bond for other teams. 

- They took a different design approach. They didn't want to design B1 and then re-start designing a new boat, they started directly with B2 concept. They developed B1 to her maximum, and then started B2 building. So B2 started where B1 finished. (EDIT: so just like it was a single project, developed with 2 boats). B2 is a natural evolution of B1. there's nothing completely new, but everything is bettered. They chose a philosophy at the starting of the campaign and that philosophy has proven right, so they kept following it. 

- Asked about the transfer in New Zealand, that he coordinated, he says that moving 110 persons, an entire team, two boats to other side of the world in Covid time it's not very easy. They had a very ambitious plan and they accomplished it, they stopped sailing at the end of August after a great summer session and now  everything is ready at the base and B2 is splashed. 

Pierluigi de Felice (sail trimmer)

- He's first America's Cup experience was in 2003, in Auckland. 

- There's a lot of talks about other teams B2, what they changed etc etc, but what really matters is that they were very happy about B1, and they firmly believe in their design ideas. 

- He has NZ citizenship, it's since 2003 that he frequently travel to and from NZ. He knows well Auckland, he expects a lot of different wind conditions during the Prada Cup, while for the America's Cup matches it will depends on the westly sea breeze  and the nortly sea breeze behaviour. ETNZ scheduled the races between 4 pm and 6 pm because by that time one of the two breezes is stronger than the other one, so t's clearer the wind direction, and it's more stable. 

- The main differences between Cagliari and Auckland is that in Cagliare when ther's a lot of wind there's also a lot of waves, while in Auckland only the North-East wind brings waves. So in Auckland water is flatter, but there's more current, and when you have the current is going one way and the wind in the opposite, you can have little chops. Cagliari was perfect for foils appendages and sails testing because the wind was super stable,  always the same, so the comparison datas where more reliable. In Auckland the wind is a lot more shifty. 

- He can't wait to start sailing B2 and to be near some of the competitors boat, so he can see their level and get confirmation about their simulations. New set of appendages, rudders and sails coming for testing. 

• Like 5
17 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I guess when you’re cutting structural tolerances, you’ve gotta be extra careful. 

Reminds me tbat one design problem for civilian airplanes corridors was/is point load of women’s high heels

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

to add  I got the functionality thing wrong on the under boom , got a pm correcting me on it.

An under deck boom wouldn't do much more than a traveler track with the same radius curve

My opinion hasn't changed on the LR setup, which is that their traveler/sheet does only angle of attack and leech tension, and they're developing all their foot tension with a batten system

21 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes the ‘We are outraged’ (GD) response is a bit weird, considering that LR doesn’t take a position on if courses B and C get excluded or not; they simply point out that whatever the situation, it needs to apply to both the Prada Cup and the Match. 

BB must be the one behind this, he’s sharp and wouldn’t stray away from a chance to make GDs life misareble?

3 hours ago, Colomba said:

BB must be the one behind this, he’s sharp and wouldn’t stray away from a chance to make GDs life misareble?

Much as I like the mental picture, the recourse to arbitration should predate BB’s hiring. Also, if that were the case LR’s legal eagles (is Alessandra Pandarese still there, BTW?) would have been as inept as  EB’s prior to AC33

Good anyway, otherwise BB’s new Lego house would risk being torched by the local populace (again)

5 hours ago, Xlot said:

Reminds me tbat one design problem for civilian airplanes corridors was/is point load of women’s high heels

You can say what you like about Jimmy, but there’s no place in this forum for people passing comment about anyone’s sexual preferences.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Xlot said:

Much as I like the mental picture, the recourse to arbitration should predate BB’s hiring. Also, if that were the case LR’s legal eagles (is Alessandra Pandarese still there, BTW?) would have been as inept as  EB’s prior to AC33

Good anyway, otherwise BB’s new Lego house would risk being torched by the local populace (again)

LRPP legal beagles earned their money this time round. They found the Protocol loophole over the course selections, and then filed the application to the Arbitration Panel, even though LRPP had agreed with the decision back in February.

"The statement overnight by the city is quite clear evidence that they were aware that a deal was done and arranged because the ports of Auckland and the harbour master wanted it to be this way. We have no problem with it, we agreed with it, we were represented in that meeting, the Challenger of Record Luna Rossa was represented in that meeting and they agreed at that time,” Dalton told Newstalk ZB.

Now if they genuinely want to have courses B&C included in the roster available to the Regatta Director for selection, LRPP can very easily say "Si!!" - and then join ETNZ in trying to change the fucking Harbourmaster's mind...

...or have him wake up cuddling a severed horse's head!!

6 hours ago, Colomba said:

Not sure many who know him would subscribe to this characterisation. "Street-smart, cunning - yes. Erudite, cerebral smart? Errr .. not so much.

Still a Kiwi AC legend - I for one am glad he's still involved in the AC. And I hope he's involved in the broadcast commentary, for his his expertise delivered with dry wit and humour.

28 minutes ago, Indio said:

Still a Kiwi AC legend - I for one am glad he's still involved in the AC. And I hope he's involved in the broadcast commentary, for his his expertise delivered with dry wit and humour.

Agree

7 hours ago, Colomba said:

How are you behind something when discussion took place 6 months before you were hired by the Italians and therefore had no part in the discussion or outcome? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mako23 said:

He certainly brings intrigue and speculation into the America’s cup. 

He also left a decent human being, (who got him a job in the cup and did more for NZ sailing than all others combined), Sir Peter Blake stranded when he and Russell got greenback fever. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Zaal said:

...They sail at more than  30 knots upwind, with 15 knots of wind. The apparent wind is more than 50 knots, ...

Somebody please help me out here. If you go 30 kts directly upwind in 15 kts of breeze, is your apparent wind 45 kts? And anything other than directly upwind, the apparent wind decreases if everything else remains the same?

• Like 1