Some frames from the last Justin Mitchell's video. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3AhQa-EPuc ) 

They have this strange "thing" that I think held  the backstays together. It's hard to understand what's going on because sometimes the shadow of the backstays on the sail is confusing, it seems another cable. 

backstays.thumb.png.b8f10503827b4c413dfba291f392727f.png

The man behind JS has 94 on the helmet, but N. 94, according LR site, is Davide Cannata, which doesn't resemble a lot to this guy (and he's in the wrong position, Davide is a grinder )

94.thumb.png.3fba9e84f0a9229a426503711399dbe7.png

guest.png.7f2786747b73bc99938c4250c4595341.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RING RING RING RING JS "um...cia... errr... pronto!" RC "Jimmy, it's me" JS "Who?" RC "Me mate, your old boss" JS "Fuck you Kiwis all sound the same to me mate, and I've

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everyt

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/ Since there are not so much news in these days, here'

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kaihoe said:

At 23:05 you see them pass the TNZ boat who has the camera's on their boat - there is a quick look back from LR and a wave....you can only image JS saying "You're next"

And not a single person on the kiwi boat would have given a shit.. 

they put over 3mins and 1.20 Into Prada without even trying in the Xmas cup. 
rewatch the races, new improved Prada would still get dicked. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

And not a single person on the kiwi boat would have given a shit.. 

they put over 3mins and 1.20 Into Prada without even trying in the Xmas cup. 
rewatch the races, new improved Prada would still get dicked. 

Confidence good. Overconfidence not good.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Confidence good. Overconfidence not good.

True, but that applies to the teams not the fans. And in this case the actual example was about illustrating that LR are (overly?) confident about ETNZ ;-)

3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

True, but that applies to the teams not the fans. And in this case the actual example was about illustrating that LR are (overly?) confident about ETNZ ;-)

Second rule: rule number one doesn't apply to Jimmy Spithill. :-)

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

Some frames from the last Justin Mitchell's video. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3AhQa-EPuc ) 

They have this strange "thing" that I think held  the backstays together. It's hard to understand what's going on because sometimes the shadow of the backstays on the sail is confusing, it seems another cable. 

backstays.thumb.png.b8f10503827b4c413dfba291f392727f.png

The man behind JS has 94 on the helmet, but N. 94, according LR site, is Davide Cannata, which doesn't resemble a lot to this guy (and he's in the wrong position, Davide is a grinder )

94.thumb.png.3fba9e84f0a9229a426503711399dbe7.png

guest.png.7f2786747b73bc99938c4250c4595341.png

They have a grab handle on the back of the main on some of the other boats. Not on Luna Rossa I think as they don't switch sides. The million $$$ question is who has found the more speed and or VMG between Luna Rossa and Ineos. When Luna Rossa was racing AM (No that it lasted long) it gave Ineos a bit more time for speed mods/tuning. Ineos had the edge when they last raced but Luna Rossa claimed they got 10% faster after that? Who have you all got for the Prada Cup Final?

14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

The million $$$ question is who has found the more speed and or VMG between Luna Rossa and Ineos.

A big, big factor will be the conditions and who is faster in them. If the conditions vary or cross over, then maybe we will see more races instead of a blowout. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

They have a grab handle on the back of the main on some of the other boats. Not on Luna Rossa I think as they don't switch sides.

Pretty sure Pietro Sibello was hanging onto something at the back of the sail when occasionally looking up the course for breeze in maybe semi–final race 3 vs AM. Maybe it was the leech, but likely they have a handle, even though the helms don't change sides. This guy is hanging onto something and swinging around the sail using something that seems to be aft of the leech and not the runners, from the vid at 14:10.

435762210_LRhandlemaybe.png.bac5f5bde3c37917438152a0fe8fbbac.png

Great video also from Gilles Martin Raget  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhwiFGS3tw4

Here some interesting frames, seems that port shrouds are different. Maybe they're trying different "hiding" for the backstays, hidden with the shrouds port side and with that "thing" starboard side. They're also trying the little red tippled foils. 

Schermata_2021-02-04_alle_03_57_50.thumb.png.5ebc41a7f3e194c7bf4b60d33fa9fbce.png

155590369_Schermata2021-02-04alle04_00_35.png.c30c52d531f335843ce6aa5a3997087e.png

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

LRPP for the, Prada Cup.

ETNZ for the Match.

Yep, LR for the PC.    Coz a mate offered me silly 6:1 odds (in beer at the pub).  :D

• Like 4

Luna Rossa practicing Eagle Mode sailing with both foils down so I wonder if they expect to have to do this against Ineos? There are times when it comes in handy. 

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They have a grab handle on the back of the main on some of the other boats. Not on Luna Rossa I think as they don't switch sides. The million $$$ question is who has found the more speed and or VMG between Luna Rossa and Ineos. When Luna Rossa was racing AM (No that it lasted long) it gave Ineos a bit more time for speed mods/tuning. Ineos had the edge when they last raced but Luna Rossa claimed they got 10% faster after that? Who have you all got for the Prada Cup Final?

In the last race between the 2 one had the cunningham issue. So I wonder how that slowed the Brits?

9 hours ago, terrafirma said:

They have a grab handle on the back of the main on some of the other boats. Not on Luna Rossa I think as they don't switch sides. 

I think LR has flexible handles off the leach like AM did because even though the helms don't swap sides  the main trmmer does. Whereas GB has a solid post at the back of the boom. Minor point but it looked to me like GB's solution allows the crew a lot more speed and confidence swinging round the back

Presumably NZ don't have anything as they go round the front. Will be interesting watching that in a full on race

14 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Luna Rossa practicing Eagle Mode sailing with both foils down so I wonder if they expect to have to do this against Ineos? There are times when it comes in handy. 

That "eagle mode" will place premium demand on the foil-arm hydraulic power packs - they wouldn't want one of them to fail at the wrong time.

The Italians need to get over the back stay thing.  It looks to be becoming a distraction.  If you’ve got to have them, you might as well set it up so you can use them.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

The Italians need to get over the back stay thing.  It looks to be becoming a distraction.  If you’ve got to have them, you might as well set it up so you can use them.

If you have a boat designed not to use them, using them is a waste, I guess it gives the intern something to do :lol::lol:

3 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

I suspect the stern quarters are not structurally designed to handle the loads involved in traditional use

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

I suspect the stern quarters are not structurally designed to handle the loads involved in traditional use

1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

No, the stern has no load issues. They always sailed with the backstays on with stronger winds. They found a way to sail without them only in  light breeze. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Xlot said:

5 minutes ago, Zaal said:

No, the stern has no load issues. They always sailed with the backstays on with stronger winds. They found a way to sail without them only in  light breeze. 

I stand corrected, thanks!

4 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Maybe they are just screwing with the heads of their competitors.  I'm sure GB and ETNZ are looking at "what ifs" because of this. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, yoyo said:

Maybe they are just screwing with the heads of their competitors.  I'm sure GB and ETNZ are looking at "what ifs" because of this. 

You could be right and all adds to the spice. A bit of intrigue goes a long way. 

55 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

You could be right and all adds to the spice. A bit of intrigue goes a long way. 

My guess would be that they're happy to sail without, and just wanted the aero effect so had people on shore doing a lot of filing to see if they could get away with it.  Would be awesome if they have a secret weapon using the stays to do.... something else?... but I doubt it.  

11 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

FYI, there is an interesting video on YT re the construction of NZ B2.   They turned the hull upside down, and applied 50t of force to test longitudinal structural stiffness!

10 hours ago, RMac said:

My guess would be that they're happy to sail without, and just wanted the aero effect so had people on shore doing a lot of filing to see if they could get away with it.  Would be awesome if they have a secret weapon using the stays to do.... something else?... but I doubt it.  

...and keep topping up the Arb.Panel's cash register? I doubt Bertelli got where he is by spending money that way.

9 hours ago, Indio said:

...and keep topping up the Arb.Panel's cash register? I doubt Bertelli got where he is by spending money that way.

They will want to win the Prada Cup otherwise Mr Bertelli may want to pack them up..!

^ looks like they went fishing for a one actuator per control surface, and got it.

I'm still not convinced that etnz is using a one piece flap with a single control as @Mozzy Sails suggests. And this interp would suggest not, otherwise we would see etnz appear with some changes. Haven't seen solid proof of single flap, have we?

49 minutes ago, barfy said:

The blended bulb has very little height to work with, compared to the other set ups. 

Don't need much height. You need length. There is less height in the GB foils, and they fit actuators either side.

7 hours ago, barfy said:

^ looks like they went fishing for a one actuator per control surface, and got it.

I'm still not convinced that etnz is using a one piece flap with a single control as @Mozzy Sails suggests. And this interp would suggest not, otherwise we would see etnz appear with some changes. Haven't seen solid proof of single flap, have we?

One piece is unlikely as it would contravene the Rule:
15.2 Each foil shall include two foil flaps, one lying entirely on one side of the foil wing symmetry plane, and one lying entirely on the other side of the foil wing symmetry plane

However, recent pics show that the inboard edges of the two flaps are very close together, with what might be a flexible section between, to satisfy the rule.

NZ's BFB has ample room for the actuators, considering we have seen examples of foils with no bulb at all. Those "no-bulb" designs may have housed the actuators in the lower foil arm.

7 hours ago, Xlot said:

Gianni Cariboni was saying foil actuators work very near the max. allowed pressure (600 bar IIRC), and stroke is a few cms

The hydraulic cylinders driving the barrel to which the foil arms are connected have a stroke of 780mm - 78cms is a little more than a "few cms"..

8 hours ago, barfy said:

The flaps would be driven by Maxon motors I would suggest: light weight, small size, high-torque capacity, quicker response.

16 hours ago, Indio said:

The flaps would be driven by Maxon motors I would suggest: light weight, small size, high-torque capacity, quicker response.

And that was a very early hint as an advertorial video they put out, so they're either doing that or faking doing that for the press :lol:

I swear that if someone try to insult Barker even here, in the reign of Luna Rossa, I will personally call Mr Bertelli and ask him to hire Dean as a third helmsman on LR, maybe adding a central (fake) wheel. Just to add some more chatting in the afterguard and induce in confusion the British.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, strider470 said:

I swear that if someone try to insult Barker even here, in the reign of Luna Rossa, I will personally call Mr Bertelli and ask him to hire Dean as a third helmsman on LR, maybe adding a central (fake) wheel. Just to add some more chatting in the afterguard and induce in confusion the British.

Deans wheel could act like a casting vote. Sensible.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

One piece is unlikely as it would contravene the Rule:
15.2 Each foil shall include two foil flaps, one lying entirely on one side of the foil wing symmetry plane, and one lying entirely on the other side of the foil wing symmetry plane

However, recent pics show that the inboard edges of the two flaps are very close together, with what might be a flexible section between, to satisfy the rule.

NZ's BFB has ample room for the actuators, considering we have seen examples of foils with no bulb at all. Those "no-bulb" designs may have housed the actuators in the lower foil arm.

It is an advantage LR may have; flaps adjacent to the biggest section of the bulb.

The flexible section is interesting as was the fishing expedition to try and get it classified as a control surface.

17 hours ago, Indio said:

We had discussed that previously, I guess the only drawback would be water ingress.

• Like 1

Really interesting video by Federico Albano, there's more on his social accounts. He's a naval engineer, he writes a lot also about F1. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

Really interesting video by Federico Albano, there's more on his social accounts. He's a naval engineer, he writes a lot also about F1. 

Well that’s good-and he used a Fourier Transform -well bu@@er me I never even thought about that full marks!

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, oatsandbeans said:

Well that’s good-and he used a Fourier Transform -well bu@@er me I never even thought about that full marks!

And now we've learnt that LR's heel frequency is similar to the ingredients of spaghetti carbonara!

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, marlowe said:

And now we've learnt that LR's heel frequency is similar to the ingredients of spaghetti carbonara!

And in the hands of Italian cooks that is a winning recipe.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

And in the hands of Italian cooks that is a winning recipe.

If the AC was a cooking competition I'm sure the Italians would be favourites. :)

1 minute ago, marlowe said:

If the AC was a cooking competition I'm sure the Italians would be favourites. :)

Ahahahaah that's for sure, and maybe there would be another challenger from France too.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, oatsandbeans said:

Very interesting that bit. Shame there is no data on defender to do the same 

Judging by comments and videos on this forum, there hasn't been much sign of LR this last week. Given the measurement date that seems surprising You'd think they would want to test any changes to foils or sails before they commit to them. So do we take it that their major upgrades are systems and software rather than the visible bits?

2 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

Judging by comments and videos on this forum, there hasn't been much sign of LR this last week. Given the measurement date that seems surprising You'd think they would want to test any changes to foils or sails before they commit to them. So do we take it that their major upgrades are systems and software rather than the visible bits?

Good question. I was wondering why we haven’t seen or heard much about them. 

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

plenty new video from all the boats on Justin's You Tube channel

Thanks. I’ll have a good look tonight. I also whiled away a few hours rewatching AC35 and as much of AC34 as I could stomach. I was struck by how good Ray Davies was on the boat. Giles on INEOS is similarly impressive. 

25 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

They were out sailing on Monday, friend spotted them in playing around displacement mode.

'My Trim'

'Il mio asseto!'

'My fuck'n trim mate!'

'Ooh ees de skipper eh Jimmy?'

'Eh ehh guys, Beana Rocka!'

• Like 1

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everything he can share with the audience. 

- They knew that Ineos would have fixed the boat for the Prada Cup (edit: that's true, Max always said that in every interview). ITUK  sailed better, but the main reason they lost against them  was that LR did some mistakes. They didn't close the door when they could, they allowed BA to make some split and keep the race open. LR didn't apply the classic match race playbook, and there's a reason for that: with these boats you sail more following the wind  than marking your opponent, so you can improve your lead. Problem is that the wind is very shifty, so they decided that's better to lose some lead marking the other boat, instead of lose all the lead trying to increase it. 

- AM paradoxically was the fastest boat of the fleet in certain wind conditions. 

- On board communication was the main LR problem. They decided the double helmsman configuration early in the campaign, and Max thinks that it will be a great weapon, especially from now on, when races will get closer and closer. They discarded the option of taking off a grinder in favor of a tactician, since  AC75 are too power-hungry. Every team has a different sailing configuration, ETNZ for example doesn't have a dedicated mainsail trimmer, PB helms and controls the main from the wheel. On LR, both JS and FB can control the mainsail, that's why they say "my trav, my rudder" at the end of transitions, and that's why they decided that Pietro Sibello (edit: PS from now on) could be delivered sometimes from the mainsail trimming and deliver precious info about wind pressure and the position of the other boat. He's the "eye" of the boat, he calls when it's time to cover the other boat and when there's a wind shift to be taken, so JS and FB can take the right decisions, since they're two of the best match racers in the world. Both JS and FB trained a lot to get the right confidence helming and trimming the mainsail at the same time, both in transitions and in straight line. Max is really proud to have PS on-board. 

- Asked about his post-race Ineos  interview, Max says he was really upset. He was angry not because they lost some races, but for the reasons they lost them. He made some meetings, first some one to one with Vasco Vascotto (the off-board tactician and sail design manager), JS and FB, then with the four of them together. You can lose because the other boat is faster, or they sail better, but not because of some errors, that's what Max keep saying. They're now really happy about the new configuration. 

- It was real racing against AM. Watching closely at their VMG they were'n slow at all. After the loss against Ineos Max told Philippe Presti that maybe it was good to have other races ahead. Race time is golden, it's when you truly improve your skills. Of course, there was some risk. But in the end he's happy for this additional racing time, they needed it. 

- ETNZ has a really fast boat. Max opinion is that they'll rely strongly on boat speed to overcome the lack of racing time, the lack of real pre-start practice. Due to the Kiwis sailing configuration, without a dedicated mainsail trimmer,  they could suffer in a real close race, in a tacking duel, or in a close and hard pre-start. In 12-13 knots or wind Te Rehutai is indubitably fast, really really fast. Anyway, LR need to be focused on Ineos right now, not ETNZ. 

- In the last race against Ineos umpires didn't give a penalty to the UK because  the chief umpire can always monitor the projected trajectories of the boats, and in that case the simulation showed that there wouldn't be a collision. Problem is that in the last seconds LR took a windshift in her favor, and was sailing with much more pressure, it can be seen by the speed and VMG numbers that didn't decrease when bearing. That changed the projection, and a collision was really possible. The on-water umpires wanted to give Ineos the penalty.  In a recent meeting the teams were told by the umpires that should a similar situation occur again, they'll probably give the penalty.  Max adds that JS didn't want to make a show, a "Hollywood",  'cause a collision it's simply too risky to try something like that. Anyway, they didn't lose because of that episode only. 

- Talking about LR Hight Mode, it's a great weapon that they have, they worked a lot on that. They can use it just after the start or in some tactical situation, as Federico Albano showed really well in his latest video (edit: they show one part of the video, against AM. The full video is already posted here). They developed this mode after the last race against Ineos. 

- They're making mods to the boat on daily basis. For example, they keep updating the flap control software. They raced against Ineos with foil 4 and 5 (edit: I assume they're numbered from 1 to 6, three pairs). 5 is the first foil of the last pair, but it was what Max calls an "hybrid". That foil wasn't at the final stage of configuration in that race. They'll sail against Ineos with the last set of foils. They made some changes also to the flaps, and the foils are quite big but smaller than the previous ones. They'll have new mainsails, new jibs, and they made some aero mods to the deck that can give you 4-8 seconds of gain, that are two boat lenghts at 40 knots of speed. If they'll win the final, they have some aero mods at the ready, that will be very noticeable. LR will be a different boat from the previous race against Ineos. 

- Foils are for sure one of the main key element of the boat performance. Max says for example that you can reach the same top speed both with  big foils or with a small foils. It's a really technical topic, he adds that for example foil area is not that crucial, the "boot" dimension are much more effective speed-wise. He calls the boot the part between the foil bulb and the end of the arm. Every team targeted the boat (and the foils) for different wind strenght. LR is for medium / light breeze, AM for winds higher than 12-13 knots, ETNZ for medium / strong breeze, but they're trying to lower the optimal range. Theoretically there should have been  8-10 knots of breeze in these period, but due to "La Nina" they're now sailing in stronger winds quite always. Anyway, there are a lot of other things that are crucial to the boat performance: sails, hull, rudder. The rudder can give incredible gains. 

- Asked again about the races against AM, Max says that it was real races. LR won every start, and AM didn't have any problems in the pre-starts. AM numbers were good, they were fast. On board comms were not sad or desperate, you could ear them ready to fight. In the race where AM capsized LR was slower, but they didn't have any info about boundaries or the race course, the race software was completely dead (edit: in another interview, FB said that in that race he and JS had to make the start with their wrist clock as the only tool). 

- Asked again about the gap between the challengers and ETNZ max says that whoever will win the Prada Cup will be a tough opponent for the Kiwis. He expects close races in the Americas Cup match. Wind conditions will be really important. Paradoxically with top end wind condition ETNZ could have some problems, since Te Rehutai is a very radical boat, hard to sail. The challenger won't some errors already made in the Prada Cup. 

- Weather forecast for Saturday 8-15 knots. For Sunday 8-15 or 15-20 knots if a perturbation go in a certain direction. 

- Asked about the backstays issue, they had found a possible loophole sailing without them, so they hid them between the two mainsail in the ACWS. The  other teams liked the idea, since there's a significative drag reduction, but their simulation showed that they couldn't sail without backstays, there would have been structural issues. So they appealed to the panel, trying to stop LR doing it. That's why LR showed that card at the ACWS and not at the Prada Cup, to avoid the risk of  loosing a point at the Prada Cup due to this dispute. With the last arbitrations they can put the backstays in other places on the boat, but without a great drag reduction. They'll sail the final with the backstays on - and they'll use them - and if they win they'll eventually try to do something about them for the Match. Sails were designed for racing both with and without backstays anyway, so there was no set back in the designing progress. 

- Ineos has made some mods to the boat. They added some fairings to the foils, probably to reduce ventilation, and they changed something about the mast to increase the rake. They also put on a smaller bowsprit, and they'll have a completely new set of sails. 

-  He has a very good relation with Patrizio Bertelli. PB always challenge him to push himself and the team more and more. 

- The Code Zero is completely useless since the time limit for the  first lap is 12 minutes. That's enough time for a boat to complete the lap with the biggest jib in the lowest wind speed 6.5 knots. There's simply no match between a boat with the code 0 and a boat with the biggest jib. The Code 0 is too draggy once you're up and foiling. Every team now have small bowsprits, they need only to have a certain minimum load strenght.

- Max thinks AC75 could be used again in the future Cup editions. Future versions could be without the bowsprits. 

- They feel rock'n loaded to sail against Ineos. 

• Like 23
19 minutes ago, Zaal said:

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everything he can share with the audience. 

- They knew that Ineos would have fixed the boat for the Prada Cup (edit: that's true, Max always said that in every interview). ITUK  sailed better, but the main reason they lost against them  was that LR did some mistakes. They didn't close the door when they could, they allowed BA to make some split and keep the race open. LR didn't apply the classic match race playbook, and there's a reason for that: with these boats you sail more following the wind  than marking your opponent, so you can improve your lead. Problem is that the wind is very shifty, so they decided that's better to lose some lead marking the other boat, instead of lose all the lead trying to increase it. 

- AM paradoxically was the fastest boat of the fleet in certain wind conditions. 

- On board communication was the main LR problem. They decided the double helmsman configuration early in the campaign, and Max thinks that it will be a great weapon, especially from now on, when races will get closer and closer. They discarded the option of taking off a grinder in favor of a tactician, since  AC75 are too power-hungry. Every team has a different sailing configuration, ETNZ for example doesn't have a dedicated mainsail trimmer, PB helms and controls the main from the wheel. On LR, both JS and FB can control the mainsail, that's why they say "my trav, my rudder" at the end of transitions, and that's why they decided that Pietro Sibello (edit: PS from now on) could be delivered sometimes from the mainsail trimming and deliver precious info about wind pressure and the position of the other boat. He's the "eye" of the boat, he calls when it's time to cover the other boat and when there's a wind shift to be taken, so JS and FB can take the right decisions, since they're two of the best match racers in the world. Both JS and FB trained a lot to get the right confidence helming and trimming the mainsail at the same time, both in transitions and in straight line. Max is really proud to have PS on-board. 

- Asked about his post-race Ineos  interview, Max says he was really upset. He was angry not because they lost some races, but for the reasons they lost them. He made some meetings, first some one to one with Vasco Vascotto (the off-board tactician and sail design manager), JS and FB, then with the four of them together. You can lose because the other boat is faster, or they sail better, but not because of some errors, that's what Max keep saying. They're now really happy about the new configuration. 

- It was real racing against AM. Watching closely at their VMG they were'n slow at all. After the loss against Ineos Max told Philippe Presti that maybe it was good to have other races ahead. Race time is golden, it's when you truly improve your skills. Of course, there was some risk. But in the end he's happy for this additional racing time, they needed it. 

- ETNZ has a really fast boat. Max opinion is that they'll rely strongly on boat speed to overcome the lack of racing time, the lack of real pre-start practice. Due to the Kiwis sailing configuration, without a dedicated mainsail trimmer,  they could suffer in a real close race, in a tacking duel, or in a close and hard pre-start. In 12-13 knots or wind Te Rehutai is indubitably fast, really really fast. Anyway, LR need to be focused on Ineos right now, not ETNZ. 

- In the last race against Ineos umpires didn't give a penalty to the UK because  the chief umpire can always monitor the projected trajectories of the boats, and in that case the simulation showed that there wouldn't be a collision. Problem is that in the last seconds LR took a windshift in her favor, and was sailing with much more pressure, it can be seen by the speed and VMG numbers that didn't decrease when bearing. That changed the projection, and a collision was really possible. The on-water umpires wanted to give Ineos the penalty.  In a recent meeting the teams were told by the umpires that should a similar situation occur again, they'll probably give the penalty.  Max adds that JS didn't want to make a show, a "Hollywood",  'cause a collision it's simply too risky to try something like that. Anyway, they didn't lose because of that episode only. 

- Talking about LR Hight Mode, it's a great weapon that they have, they worked a lot on that. They can use it just after the start or in some tactical situation, as Federico Albano showed really well in his latest video (edit: they show one part of the video, against AM. The full video is already posted here). They developed this mode after the last race against Ineos. 

- They're making mods to the boat on daily basis. For example, they keep updating the flap control software. They raced against Ineos with foil 4 and 5 (edit: I assume they're numbered from 1 to 6, three pairs). 5 is the first foil of the last pair, but it was what Max calls an "hybrid". That foil wasn't at the final stage of configuration in that race. They'll sail against Ineos with the last set of foils. They made some changes also to the flaps, and the foils are quite big but smaller than the previous ones. They'll have new mainsails, new jibs, and they made some aero mods to the deck that can give you 4-8 seconds of gain, that are two boat lenghts at 40 knots of speed. If they'll win the final, they have some aero mods at the ready, that will be very noticeable. LR will be a different boat from the previous race against Ineos. 

- Foils are for sure one of the main key element of the boat performance. Max says for example that you can reach the same top speed both with  big foils or with a small foils. It's a really technical topic, he adds that for example foil area is not that crucial, the "boot" dimension are much more effective speed-wise. He calls the boot the part between the foil bulb and the end of the arm. Every team targeted the boat (and the foils) for different wind strenght. LR is for medium / light breeze, AM for winds higher than 12-13 knots, ETNZ for medium / strong breeze, but they're trying to lower the optimal range. Theoretically there should have been  8-10 knots of breeze in these period, but due to "La Nina" they're now sailing in stronger winds quite always. Anyway, there are a lot of other things that are crucial to the boat performance: sails, hull, rudder. The rudder can give incredible gains. 

- Asked again about the races against AM, Max says that it was real races. LR won every start, and AM didn't have any problems in the pre-starts. AM numbers were good, they were fast. On board comms were not sad or desperate, you could ear them ready to fight. In the race where AM capsized LR was slower, but they didn't have any info about boundaries or the race course, the race software was completely dead (edit: in another interview, FB said that in that race he and JS had to make the start with their wrist clock as the only tool). 

- Asked again about the gap between the challengers and ETNZ max says that whoever will win the Prada Cup will be a tough opponent for the Kiwis. He expects close races in the Americas Cup match. Wind conditions will be really important. Paradoxically with top end wind condition ETNZ could have some problems, since Te Rehutai is a very radical boat, hard to sail. The challenger won't some errors already made in the Prada Cup. 

- Weather forecast for Saturday 8-15 knots. For Sunday 8-15 or 15-20 knots if a perturbation go in a certain direction. 

- Asked about the backstays issue, they had found a possible loophole sailing without them, so they hid them between the two mainsail in the ACWS. The  other teams liked the idea, since there's a significative drag reduction, but their simulation showed that they couldn't sail without backstays, there would have been structural issues. So they appealed to the panel, trying to stop LR doing it. That's why LR showed that card at the ACWS and not at the Prada Cup, to avoid the risk of  loosing a point at the Prada Cup due to this dispute. With the last arbitrations they can put the backstays in other places on the boat, but without a great drag reduction. They'll sail the final with the backstays on - and they'll use them - and if they win they'll eventually try to do something about them for the Match. Sails were designed for racing both with and without backstays anyway, so there was no set back in the designing progress. 

- Ineos has made some mods to the boat. They added some fairings to the foils, probably to reduce ventilation, and they changed something about the mast to increase the rake. They also put on a smaller bowsprit, and they'll have a completely new set of sails. 

-  He has a very good relation with Patrizio Bertelli. PB always challenge him to push himself and the team more and more. 

- The Code Zero is completely useless since the time limit for the  first lap is 12 minutes. That's enough time for a boat to complete the lap with the biggest jib in the lowest wind speed 6.5 knots. There's simply no match between a boat with the code 0 and a boat with the biggest jib. The Code 0 is too draggy once you're up and foiling. Every team now have small bowsprits, they need only to have a certain minimum load strenght.

- Max thinks AC75 could be used again in the future Cup editions. Future versions could be without the bowsprits. 

Thank you very much Zaal for a tremendous summary in your post. That took time to write and was a most interesting insight. Sounds like they’re on top of their game which is great for the spectacle. 

• Like 6

well after that lot it better be a 7-0 thrashing he is dishing out or its going to look like ALOT of bluster.

Its alot of changes to a boat that was faster but just making mistakes too..and still on about THAT pass? let go chap.

I imagine INEOS will be pleased though as yet again he has written them off and chalked up all their wins as won through others mistakes, he could just say the better team won on the day rather than the excuses.

6 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

well after that lot it better be a 7-0 thrashing he is dishing out or its going to look like ALOT of bluster.

I imagine INEOS will be pleased though as yet again he has written them off and chalked up all their wins as won through others mistakes, he could just say the better team won on the day rather than the excuses.

On the contrary, I think he’s being very open about their own internal mistakes. There’s a big difference between his comments and the mutterings of the Spitbull. And he certainly doesn’t come across like he’s writing anyone off, least of all, his own team. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Thanks for the translation/summary, there are some quite interesting comments in the interview!

Max said "ETNZ for example doesn't have a dedicated mainsail trimmer, PB helms and controls the main from the wheel."   Is that actually correct? Or does PB just manage the traveller?

1 hour ago, Zaal said:

Che lavoro immane Zaal! Grande!

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks for the translation/summary, there are some quite interesting comments in the interview!

Max said "ETNZ for example doesn't have a dedicated mainsail trimmer, PB helms and controls the main from the wheel."   Is that actually correct? Or does PB just manage the traveller?

Good question! What Max says is that, he didn't add any details, but in a previous interview he said that GA helps PB during the transitions. 

4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Che lavoro immane Zaal! Grande!

hahahaha grazie ma in realtà il merito è di Max che è sempre così disponibile nelle interviste 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaal said:

Sorry to quote myself, the other journalist is Mauro Giuffrè, not Mario. Se per caso mi leggi scusa Mauro ! Too much excitement for the races I think ;) 

1 minute ago, Zaal said:

Sorry, the other journalist is Mauro Giuffrè, not Mario. Se mi leggi scusa Mauro ! Too much excitement for the races I think ;) 

This could invalidate the whole translation!!! ;-) Yellow card!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, JALhazmat said:

You’re sounding like the Ineos version of Fourourselves. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, JJD said:

You’re sounding like the Ineos version of Fourourselves. 

Nope, I don’t have a past back catalogue under a different account. 

it’s gonna be a big old fight on the water. It would be nice if that’s where it stays.