Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, weta27 said:

The Swiss video posted above by Priscilla (#7086) tells us it is a Sony P50 4k camera inside the casing, with Fujinon UA 46x zoom lens.

Recommend watching that video if you want a nice summary, or more detail on the manufacturers website:

https://shotover.com/products/m1

Just watched it, thank you and thank you @Priscilla for the video ;) I worked closely with the russian arm, camera operator and driver must work together in an incredible way, and here must be the same. Bit surprised there's no focus puller. Amazing shots by the tv crew by the way. Sony is the right choice for broadcast, Red and Arri are for different works like advs, movies, not live stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RING RING RING RING JS "um...cia... errr... pronto!" RC "Jimmy, it's me" JS "Who?" RC "Me mate, your old boss" JS "Fuck you Kiwis all sound the same to me mate, and I've

New Max Sirena interview by Bacci del Buono and Mario Giuffrè for Giornale della Vela. It's a really long interview, almost 2 hours, Max as always is very straight and open to talk about nearly everyt

https://farevela.net/2020/06/03/americas-cup-che-coppa-sara-diretta-4-giugno-2130-ospiti-bruni-e-vascotto-commento-tecnico-dalbertas-pinucci/ Since there are not so much news in these days, here'

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, weta27 said:

Thanks Zaal, it makes me wish I was young again and picking a career - this stuff is so cool!!

Thank you my friend, I think your job is super cool and you always gift us with wonderful pics :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs

 

So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, uflux said:

So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists :rolleyes:

Just Italian journalists being as ridiculous as the NZ journalists.

Of course the local journos are going to play up to the local crowd by saying ETNZ are fucking awesome regardless of whether they are or not.

Storm in a teacup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I clearly remember all the NZ media hype about NZL82, as well.

And we all know how well that turned out.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

I clearly remember all the NZ media hype about NZL82, as well.

And we all know how well that turned out.

Indeed! But at least we don't have anything weird like the Hula this time round with team members wearing Hawaiian shirts etc at the unveiling

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, strider470 said:

We have our Stuff in Italy too :D

I mean obviously they are right in this case cos we are going to smoke you guys. But they don't know for sure like we do, they are only guessing! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I mean obviously they are right in this case cos we are going to smoke you guys. But they don't know for sure like we do, they are only guessing! :lol:

Smoking is not healthy,  you are not a good example for new generations. Nobody should smoke an Italian, or a Cuban etc :)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Nobody should smoke an Italian

... but "We have our 'Stuff' in Italy too ;)"

Now I know why you Italians are usually so happy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Smoking is not healthy,  you are not a good example for new generations. Nobody should smoke an Italian, or a Cuban etc :)

I got hot with a Greek chick in the 90s and it seemed good for my health.

Got lots of exercise at least.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 1eyedkiwi said:

Indeed! But at least we don't have anything weird like the Hula this time round with team members wearing Hawaiian shirts etc at the unveiling

But you have batwing mains and code zeroes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice interview to Max Sirena. 

Q: is it true that you swept the yard in Punta Ala one of the first days? (he's asking about Max first days in Luna Rossa, back in the 90s. Punta Ala was the yacht club of the first LR challenge, and the base was there)

A: No, that was before, in Livorno, I did it several days.  I painted containers, I went to buy food to put in sandwiches, I bought the bolts from the ironmongery, I washed the chase boats. I wanted to enter in the AC world at all costs and I was ready to do anything, obviously in the context of personal dignity. In Punta Ala I slept inside America Cube. They were different times, and it was the dream of my life, I couldn't miss that chance. 

 

Ladies and gentleman, Max Sirena. I hope he'll write a book one day.  And, by the way, Max did all of this but he was already a pro sailor, that had won some important races. Still, he worked so hard to get the job. Now, with 2 AC already won, he leads the team, and has the chance to win with LR. Great person, I really admire him. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Zaal said:

 

Ladies and gentleman, Max Sirena. I hope he'll write a book one day.  And, by the way, Max did all of this but he was already a pro sailor, that had won some important races. Still, he worked so hard to get the job. Now, with 2 AC already won, he leads the team, and has the chance to win with LR. Great person, I really admire him. 

Yes. His interviews have been a revelation. 

If by any chance Mr Bertelli throws in the towel after this Cup (losing yes, giving up this time no) then Ratcliffe should put Max on the top of his list to run team INEOS next time. Ben can look after the sailing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Yes. His interviews have been a revelation. 

If by any chance Mr Bertelli throws in the towel after this Cup (losing yes, giving up this time no) then Ratcliffe should put Max on the top of his list to run team INEOS next time. Ben can look after the sailing.

Should INEOS decide to throw in the towel, Max should put Ratcliffe on top of the list to fund Luna Rossa, Bertelli can look after the style ;) 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically he says the stays thing is about the "boom", meaning LR boom is a structural part strong enough to carry the rig up to quite a lot of wind.
This also explains all the backstays fuzz. They basically (over)build the boom in order to get rid of the runners, and now they are likely stuck with all the tradeoffs that this design comes with without the runnerless drag advantage. 
Well, at least LR will have some robustness in troubled water.
Thx @Mozzy Sails for the video. (hope I posted the right one...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Thewas said:

So basically he says the stays thing is about the "boom", meaning LR boom is a structural part strong enough to carry the rig up to quite a lot of wind.
This also explains all the backstays fuzz. They basically (over)build the boom in order to get rid of the runners, and now they are likely stuck with all the tradeoffs that this design comes with without the runnerless drag advantage. 
Well, at least LR will have some robustness in troubled water.
Thx @Mozzy Sails for the video. (hope I posted the right one...)

The single actuator in ETNZ foils was borderline as well but has been accepted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, strider470 said:

The single actuator in ETNZ foils was borderline as well but has been accepted.

I'd say more than borderline. But I still can't believe LR designers messed up that bad in a OneDesign rig area. They should have know better, IMO. 
You can have a chance of getting away with some borderline stuff in many part of the boat, but when it comes to the supplied OD rig you better know very well how to get it measured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thewas said:

I'd say more than borderline. But I still can't believe LR designers messed up that bad in a OneDesign rig area. They should have know better, IMO. 
You can have a chance of getting away with some borderline stuff in many part of the boat, but when it comes to the supplied OD rig you better know very well how to get it measured.

If they did it, I think the rule was in someway subject to interpretation. They have smart people specifically working on those subjects I suppose. It didn't go well, amen, but I bet should ETNZ have done the same, maybe the result would have been different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, strider470 said:

If they did it, I think the rule was in someway subject to interpretation. They have smart people specifically working on those subjects I suppose. It didn't go well, amen, but I bet should ETNZ have done the same, maybe the result would have been different.

It's still the America's Cup: if you want to push some rule, you better be the Defender. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thewas said:

It's still the America's Cup: if you want to push some rule, you better be the Defender. ;)

Exactly. Li mortacci loro :D (don't try google translator on this, it's wrong)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, strider470 said:

 

Whatever the outcome, you have to admire the professionalism and determination of LR. A worthy challenger and a class act.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Whatever the outcome, you have to admire the professionalism and determination of LR. A worthy challenger and a class act.

Now you can understand why I was so upset when some people tried to discredit the team.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Now you can understand why I was so upset when some people tried to discredit the team.

I completely understand. All of Italy can be very proud of this team.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

I completely understand. All of Italy can be very proud of this team.

I think we all are, and, as opposed to the previous campaigns, it's not just cheering: they're showing to the world a view of Italy that almost nobody suspect, but that we as Italians have always knew. 
Except maybe for Ferrari (and not always), it's still pretty rare to see this (big) part of Italy in the limelight. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thewas said:

I think we all are, and, as opposed to the previous campaigns, it's not just cheering: they're showing to the world a view of Italy that almost nobody suspect, but that we as Italians have always knew. 
Except maybe for Ferrari (and not always), it's still pretty rare to see this (big) part of Italy in the limelight. 

Everybody loves Italy and all it gives to the world ..... the list is too long to mention. Enjoy the Final and celebrate, win or lose. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Everybody loves Italy and all it gives to the world ..... the list is too long to mention. Enjoy the Final and celebrate, win or lose. 

Whether LR win or ETNZ lose, I will always be proud of our team! ;)

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Everybody loves Italy and all it gives to the world ..... the list is too long to mention. Enjoy the Final and celebrate, win or lose. 

I am grateful for all the Challengers - they have all shown they are class acts, and have been great to have in Auckland.  The Italians even have Jimmy S saying all the right things, the Americans were class acts particularly off the water and acknowledged the help they got from the other teams (I loved the band-aids), and the Brits fought hard but acknowledged the superior team when bowing out.  There are a few off the water shenanigans, mainly beat-ups by 'journalists' interviewing their keyboards, but it is still the America's Cup!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

If they, LR are beaten by ETNZ, it will be very sad for the Italian community. I have had a number of trips there and have been spoilt by a huge number of sensational people. All the way back from WW2 till now, the countries have been linked including in my family. For us to lose to LR will be sad also but hopefully, the new holders will be gracious when they set their AC competition up for all to come. 

My wife's father was stationed there at the end of WW2 and when we travel in Italy she always looks for people that may look like her family members such was the affection he spoke of the country. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Indio said:

Very sad looking boat :lol:

Of course she is, do you think we are heartless?  But I hope it will be at least quick, if not painless for our Kiwi friends. :-P

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

Mozzy has some completion the jumper arena.

Her tits are likely better?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Thewas said:

A good point, for sure.
Of course not considering Miuccia Prada.

In Luna Rossa, the Boss of the Bosses is a woman :D

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Selection is merit based, if any role in the team could be covered by a woman I don't think gender choice would have been a limitation. By the way, the lawyer that is following LR since 21 years is a lady... who really seems to be the one wearing pants

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong @guser, I actually think this tweet from LR is a pretty low PR.
It basically shows women as "family an support", and it's not (IMO) up to 2021.
But there are not that many Sam Davies or Elise Beaver out there, and this is AC: you only hire the best you can find.
It's not a runner up competition, and unfortunately there are still not enough women with the right profiles. For the moment.
With this cycle quite a lot of thing changed, namely the kind of expertise required pushed all the teams out of the sailing bubble to hunt for the right people.
A lot of them are women, and I'm sure from the next cycle on we'll see in every team way more women in key roles.

  • Like 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, alvelo said:

Selection is merit based, if any role in the team could be covered by a woman I don't think gender choice would have been a limitation. By the way, the lawyer that is following LR since 21 years is a lady... who really seems to be the one wearing pants

Diversity only happens through deliberate action. Without deliberate intent to do otherwise, teams will tend to pick new members who look and think very much like the rest of the team, often explained as "they need to fit in with the team".

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RobG said:

Diversity only happens through deliberate action. Without deliberate intent to do otherwise, teams will tend to pick new members who look and think very much like the rest of the team, often explained as "they need to fit in with the team".

SailGP.  It's a start.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alvelo said:

Selection is merit based, if any role in the team could be covered by a woman I don't think gender choice would have been a limitation. By the way, the lawyer that is following LR since 21 years is a lady... who really seems to be the one wearing pants

"Merit" in this context is one of the greatest myths of the late 20th / early 21st century. 

1 hour ago, RobG said:

Diversity only happens through deliberate action. Without deliberate intent to do otherwise, teams will tend to pick new members who look and think very much like the rest of the team, often explained as "they need to fit in with the team".

Exactly. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

"Merit" in this context is one of the greatest myths of the late 20th / early 21st century. 

1 hour ago, RobG said:

Fully agree.

1 hour ago, RobG said:

Diversity only happens through deliberate action. Without deliberate intent to do otherwise, teams will tend to pick new members who look and think very much like the rest of the team, often explained as "they need to fit in with the team".

True, but only to a certain extent. 

AC is a way too restrict environment to apply any standard to.
Starting from the crew: cutting off the grinders (even if in my rowing days I met few women that probably would have been up to the task on these boats) you're left with 3 people to choose per boat. 
I don't see, for the moment, any hypertrophic ego billionaire wasting hundreds of million in a campaign without putting on the helm the absolute best he can afford.
"Best" doesn't mean just from a sailing POV, it means somebody who can put pressure on the opponents just by being there and can attract sponsorships.
Unless, of course, somebody will put a line in the next Protocol: the "deliberate action".
That will be great. But I repeat: AC is a way too peculiar environment, even if we can still dream. ;-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean also from design point of view, if there was a skilled lady she would be included in the design team. Unfortuantely this is quite a nice dishipline and women still have a lot to do to gain room. Alessanda Sensini is CONI vice-president. I am pretty sure if there was room for her nobody would have rejected her application

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, bortolo said:

“I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like <...>"

(Picture from Justin Mitchell's video)

LRPP-Choppers.PNG

Had to add this mate :D

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a kiwi I’m wishing the Italians no bad luck. Which means if ETNZ wins today’s races it’s not due an equipment failure on LR. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Zaal said:

Apocalypse now ? No. our motto is : my rake, my trav ;)

 

myrakemytrav.thumb.jpg.3d0794ab88221bc7b3840e884e06e1ef.jpg

 

 

Still looking forward for the t-shirts to hit the market. Even the jackets.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the presser did Max say 'ETNZ are fasta' or 'ETNZ are faster'?

And when Bertelli said 'no chance' did he mean LR has no chance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RobG said:

Diversity only happens through deliberate action. Without deliberate intent to do otherwise, teams will tend to pick new members who look and think very much like the rest of the team, often explained as "they need to fit in with the team".

Seems like in reality most of the time it's lack of diversity that only happens through deliberate action. The problem is that in too many places, that deliberate action is the norm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 9:24 AM, guser said:

Good point by Sam who is an absolute champion:

F70ADA8A-0722-43E2-87ED-9687F956F843.jpeg

Sam has experience in this area, with the Magenta project, and trying to get women experience in the Volvo race. That proved that you do need to take deliberate action to improve things and I think she is absolutely right to call attention to this.

 

On 3/9/2021 at 12:15 PM, alvelo said:

Selection is merit based, if any role in the team could be covered by a woman I don't think gender choice would have been a limitation. By the way, the lawyer that is following LR since 21 years is a lady... who really seems to be the one wearing pants

Merit is a bit of a myth, to become the best in the world at anything you need support and talent. If you take away the support and opportunity given to some of the worlds top male skippers, you can bet your ass they would not be as good as they are today.

To say the "Americas Cup is merit based so it doesn't matter the gender" ignores the fact that currently only men seem to be given the support and opportunity to get the experience to "win on merit", thats not being selected for being the best, thats being selected for "being the best of this particular set of people who have experience", which is defacto, not on merit at all, but on privilege.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Sam has experience in this area, with the Magenta project, and trying to get women experience in the Volvo race. That proved that you do need to take deliberate action to improve things and I think she is absolutely right to call attention to this.

 

Merit is a bit of a myth, to become the best in the world at anything you need support and talent. If you take away the support and opportunity given to some of the worlds top male skippers, you can bet your ass they would not be as good as they are today.

To say the "Americas Cup is merit based so it doesn't matter the gender" ignores the fact that currently only men seem to be given the support and opportunity to get the experience to "win on merit", thats not being selected for being the best, thats being selected for "being the best of this particular set of people who have experience", which is defacto, not on merit at all, but on privilege.

 

 

If I were Miuccia Prada I would create a second all women AC Team, and call it Luna Rosa  (Pink Moon) instead of Luna Rossa (Red Moon). Maybe with a super competitive international crew.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fully agree. There is plenty of multi medals olimpics women; their value is recognized and maybe one day some of them may access one of these things. Excluding the power generators (grinders), all the others are an extreemly small selection of sailors worldwide and if a woman was at a close level she would be involved for sure. Who is the silly that would not have the best desiner in the team if she was a lady?

I realize LR spot showing some partners does not celebrate women value but take it as a Mimosa for all women, like mothers, partners, daughters, friends. Their social position don't really matter. My toughts

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats my point though, that pool of extremely small selection of sailors is exclusive because the people in it are the ones who have had prior cup experience. You cannot have the experience if you are not given the chance to get it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Thats my point though, that pool of extremely small selection of sailors is exclusive because the people in it are the ones who have had prior cup experience. You cannot have the experience if you are not given the chance to get it.

This also explains why there are so many recycled kiwi members.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2021 at 6:42 AM, Paddywackery said:

Whatever the outcome, you have to admire the professionalism and determination of LR. A worthy challenger and a class act.

Siamo tutti italiani adesso ma chi è kiwi preferirebbe che gli italiani si comportassero "allegro ma non Troppo"

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Siamo tutti italiani adesso ma chi è kiwi preferirebbe che gli italiani si comportassero "allegro ma non Troppo"

@snaerkare you a musician?? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Complimenti Checco, Jimmy e i bravi uomini a bordo di Luna Rossa oggi! 

Spitelli always delivers with his swashbuckling style at the post race pressers… Todays’ Day 1 AC heat also raised a chuckle when I noticed his new LRPP team wear emblem addition right sleeve.

 

Untitled-1.jpg.ef35029c9d4a8d1eeb830f7b5200bb76.jpg

 

Looking very much forward to Friday… Forza Italia!
 

SC_MST.thumb.jpg.60940ee07078ecfff63702e52d5d3c53.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strider470 said:

If I were Miuccia Prada I would create a second all women AC Team, and call it Luna Rosa  (Pink Moon) instead of Luna Rossa (Red Moon). Maybe with a super competitive international crew.

Man, that's going to mess up the spelling in this forum pretty bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, strider470 said:

If I were Miuccia Prada I would create a second all women AC Team, and call it Luna Rosa  (Pink Moon) instead of Luna Rossa (Red Moon). Maybe with a super competitive international crew.

And skippered by Lina Rossi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 4:40 AM, jaysper said:

I got hot with a Greek chick in the 90s and it seemed good for my health.

Got lots of exercise at least.

moustache? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dullers said:

moustache? 

 

Nah, she was a hottie but she was only 20.

By 30 she probably would have had a moustache, chest hair, etc.

Greek guy I used to work with told me this joke.

Q: Why do Greeks wear gold chains?

A: So they know when to stop shaving.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites