On 8/3/2019 at 12:48 AM, Ex-yachtie said:

Happened to notice this in a local shop.

For those who wonder if kiwis will turn up to watch a yachting event, this is a Whitbread race, c.1989? The fleet can be seen being followed out the harbour in front of Rangitoto, a volcano that will help form the race area for AC36.

The photo is taken in Browns Bay, ~25 mins drive north of the city. 

9089F396-1B6F-4968-85AD-6F91CD9B347F.jpeg

Hell yea, there must be a 100 people or even more....

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RE-BIRTH OF A SHIPYARD The old Percy Vos boat shed and slipway on Hamer St has been undergoing renovations for almost a year now. The long-term objective, as per a 2013 report I saw, was that it

This irresponsible populism makes my blood boil. I'm old enough that I will somehow cope with any change of the political landscape, but light-thought announcers play with the future of the young -

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Herfy said:

Too bad there is no shot of North head, it almost sinks at the start of the National coastal classic.

Brown's bay is miles off the line out of town, and from the ac36 courses. Lots of better spots.

Edit: but thanks for sharing herfy

NAka173.jpg

Just now, trt131 said:

Why is the race the "National" Coastal Classic

Was just trying to make clear that it's not a huge international race, like the Whitbread. It's a race from Auckland to Russell with mostly local boats, hell my live aboard neighbors do it in their boat.

Same turn out for any race that leaves Auckland, all run from one side of North head to the other as the boats round the point.

10 hours ago, Herfy said:

Pretty bloody obvious that you don't get it!

Look more closely. That thin white line on the far shore ain't breaking surf.. It's a massive spectator fleet.

And I'd say it's impressive that the "100 people or even more" just on this little section of beach are there at all, given the distance from the sailing action.

And no ......  they are not there to build sand castles!

C'mon down for the AC.  We'll assist with an attitude reset.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:00 AM, Herfy said:

A 20 metre section of beach, part of a string of beaches about 15 to 10 kilometres long, all with basically the same view of the course (i.e. sweet sod all)...

and yeah the people on the beacha aren't even the impressive part...

A quick walk by.  Work has stopped on all sites.  “Base E” is the American Magic base (because they entered first) and it’s asphalted.  Base D (the brits) and C have a basecourse, but no finished surface.

My guess is that the brits haven’t finalised their base plans and the site has been left in a state that allows them to run in-ground services.  No sign of construction on the American base.  It doesn’t look like anyone’s in a rush.

AED18488-CBE6-4DB0-ADDD-9D36A07D8470.png

DF9F6915-F1CD-4239-8F5E-4AB205BD5BA7.png

5BAB97F5-9F1B-4A50-B161-639622A1F2CD.png

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

That doesn't look like Minor Damage to me!

Sure, but you’re a scare monger who appears to be unable to engage with any issue without the inflating it to a major catastrophe, so I might just take your opinion with a grain of salt. 

It's a total disaster!

a fence!

fell over...

Apparently the poles were delaminating after being delivered 4 months late and it just couldn't deal with the local conditions.

• Like 4
On 8/13/2019 at 9:51 PM, rh3000 said:

a scene from DGs wet dream...

Fuck it!! This is unacceptable, if just being on land and even near the AC causes this much devastation I think it’s time we backed DG in getting it all called off, 

If its simply too dangerous to be near the site, how long until merely typing the AC is enough to trigger injury and death 

3 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Fuck it!! This is unacceptable, if just being on land and even near the AC causes this much devastation I think it’s time we backed DG in getting it all called off, 

If its simply too dangerous to be near the site, how long until merely typing the AC is enough to trigger injury and death 

It's easy to mitigate, as the cause of this incident was the wind - we'll just ensure there is no wind during the races.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

It's easy to mitigate, as the cause of this incident was the wind - we'll just ensure there is no wind during the races.

I think we need to see how the challenger boats perform in no wind before leaping to such hasty decisions, however if our boat looks distinctly faster in no wind then I strongly advise we take this option, only to make the event safer mind you!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Under the safety first racing rules, the first team to have foil arms that convert to galley-type oars wins! Remember,  guest racer not allowed to help row or they would use Olympic medallists.

1459_rd.jpg

Not safe. Monohull with no keel. 

12 hours ago, rh3000 said:

A zero tolerance of wind ensures a safe a successful event where all boats and teams performance is equal a sense of fair play sportsmanship and inclusivity enshrines the event.

after all these are the the things that are sacred to the running of the AC

• Like 1

"It is now a tantalising prospect that four teams - the Defender Emirates Team New Zealand, Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team (Challenger of Record), NYYC American Magic, and INEOS TEAM UK - could all launch their first AC75 yachts in the next few weeks." ... Sail World

poor S&S

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Miffy said:

What kind of desperate stupid cunt has schadenfreude re a tornado going thru a waterfront. 

Which cunt are you talking about, you seem overly sensitive these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at the AC50 attached to the side of ETNZ's base today (pictures on Team NZ thread) and whilst there wondered over to where the bases for AM  and Basher will be and looking at the site safety map outside a third base area ( for S&S) is clearly shown, not labelled as such, but nor are the others, and the area has clearly been prepared for a base to be constructed. They were also actively working on the quayside in that area.

I would guess that S&S are still expected to be there.

Hoping so away.......

On 8/9/2019 at 8:25 PM, Ex-yachtie said:

A quick walk by.  Work has stopped on all sites.  “Base E” is the American Magic base (because they entered first) and it’s asphalted.  Base D (the brits) and C have a basecourse, but no finished surface.

My guess is that the brits haven’t finalised their base plans and the site has been left in a state that allows them to run in-ground services.  No sign of construction on the American base.  It doesn’t look like anyone’s in a rush.

AED18488-CBE6-4DB0-ADDD-9D36A07D8470.png

DF9F6915-F1CD-4239-8F5E-4AB205BD5BA7.png

5BAB97F5-9F1B-4A50-B161-639622A1F2CD.png

@Woolfy, this sign?

Any progress beyond this?

That's the one, but it's been changed, I guess it's updated daily, it showed where various contracting firms were by name and area. The area just above base c and d had contractors marked as being there and I could see them working. I think all the base areas are complete in the sense that they can now be handed over with or without underground services in (we've not been told what state of preparation for slab pouring was agreed with each individual team) there was a press release saying that they had been handed over. So I wasn't surprised to see nothing going on in that area. All the work was going on on the quayside.

• 2 weeks later...

America's Cup bases on course as Team NZ boat launch looms

"All of the infrastructure that was planned, agreed and needed is on time and on budget," said Tina Symmans, who chairs the team's event organisation America's Cup Event Limited.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/auckland/115551012/americas-cup-bases-on-course-as-team-nz-boat-launch-looms

This makes disappointing reading for the trolls

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

That's just the ETNZ smoke screen for the webcam whilst they tow out.

While they sail out. Not wanting spies to capture their take off technique they lift off in the smoke, and smoke that nw corner of the Hyatt at 30kt. 

I saw them foil in until abeam the marine railway in the 50's. Edit..to their old base.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Now that the boats have been revealed and look relatively slow to maneuver.  The tacking and gibing ability becomes critical.

Based on the proposed course layouts, what are talking about for the amounts of tacks and gybes during a race?

Hmmm, not sure if we have seen anything about maneuvers yet. Wait a month maybe?

On 9/19/2019 at 5:19 AM, Enzedel92 said:

Now that the boats have been revealed and look relatively slow to maneuver.  The tacking and gibing ability becomes critical.

Based on the proposed course layouts, what are talking about for the amounts of tacks and gybes during a race?

As I understand it the have enough battery power for 70 foil arm movements. These things may be quite agile. I wouldn't commit to the idea that they'll be sluggish.

On 9/19/2019 at 5:19 AM, Enzedel92 said:

Hmmm Glenn describes the new boats as being "so maneuverable" and "one of the best boats for match racing"

On 9/9/2019 at 12:55 PM, Ex-yachtie said:

The removal of more tanks doesn’t seem to be going very well. 

AD428048-5424-49D9-B52C-830CA105F855.jpeg

Anyone know what that was about?

For what its worth I've heard at least some of the tanks at the South end are being kept, converted into some kind of park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 7:00 AM, Herfy said:

and about 10000 boats from kayaks to super yachts that turned Auckland Harbour into a giant washing machine. was similar array of nav lights at 4am waiting for the whitbread to arrive many moons ago also. caught many snapper while waiting tho. I worry the course is too short to have so many spectator boats around. 

• 2 weeks later...

America's Cup: World Sailing CEO involved in Cup ruckus

Sail-World has ascertained that America's Cup organisers have agreed in principle the terms and amount of a sanctioning fee with World Sailing, the world governing body for the sport.

Details of the arrangement, are yet to be confirmed, but it is believed that the amount of the Sanctioning Fee is similar to that paid for previous America's Cups.

An Emirates Team New Zealand spokesman has confirmed in a written statement that: “Despite the World Sailing CEO Andy Hunt attempting to circumvent the process by contacting the NZ Government, negotiations direct with the Board of World Sailing for the America’s Cup to be a sanctioned event have been satisfactorily concluded on behalf of the Challenger of Record / Defender.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/222960/Americas-Cup-Special-Event-status-agreed

37 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

World Sailing CEO Andy Hunt

This clown was booted from the British Olympic Association. Not sure how he ended up at World Sailing as he's not a competitive sailor.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/09/04/World-Sailing-Staff-exodus-continues-CEO-Andy-Hunts-number-two-marketing-chief-Hugh-Chambers-resigns-more-on-our-live-webcast-at-1300-PDT-today

22 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

This clown was booted from the British Olympic Association. Not sure how he ended up at World Sailing as he's not a competitive sailor.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/09/04/World-Sailing-Staff-exodus-continues-CEO-Andy-Hunts-number-two-marketing-chief-Hugh-Chambers-resigns-more-on-our-live-webcast-at-1300-PDT-today

Clearly no one even bothers to read CVs anymore...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I think Andy Hunt's days are numbered and will be booted very soon after the November conference when the WS President will be voted out.

• Like 1

https://www.sail-world.com/news/223192/130-superyachts-register-for-Americas-Cup-events?fbclid=IwAR2DekaZCLMxlwZO65KT_viQmn9zqN8r5-1TmLk60PqzgiWHsOf9y6Da-Ro

America's Cup: 'Almost full' sign goes up in Auckland

Despite earlier media reports to the contrary, 130 superyachts have registered an interest in attending the America's Cup events in Auckland in 2020-2021.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, luminary said:

So is 'Rita' their nic-name of the boat? Is that why it's in red lettering in the 'Britannua' text?

If so, the matching red lettering says 'is second' in the subsequent image. Not a really positive message. Freudian?

All of Ben's own boats have  been named Rita, I think like his habit of never shaving during the length of a regatta it's just one of his superstitions.

2 hours ago, Woolfy said:

All of Ben's own boats have  been named Rita, I think like his habit of never shaving during the length of a regatta it's just one of his superstitions.

Prolly won't eat bananas on board, either.

I remember a guy who wouldn't race without his red socks. Funny lot, sailors.

• Like 1

https://www.sail-world.com/news/223235/Americas-Cup-AC75-Skiffs-vs-Scows--whos-right?fbclid=IwAR2yJf1WXtaSeAmRTDtn1fRUQzYv5NyrH_X0PKXhmihj6n8gZDuNfb5tVPs

America's Cup: Italian and British teams reveal first sailing AC75 images

"Wind limits are unlikely to be imposed in Auckland due to the issues that arrive when an absolute threshold is exceeded by just 0.1kt, and there is the ability to shift the course to a less affected area for safety reasons, making wind limits redundant. This is the same approach adopted for the 2009 Louis Vuitton Pacific Trophy when racing was conducted on the final day in quite extreme conditions in the IACC monohulls.

No wind limit assures the certainty of TV coverage starting on time, and avoids the crazy sight from the 2000 and 2003 America's Cup boats returning home without racing due to a wind limit being exceeded and ignominiously being towed past Optimist fleets quite happily racing in the "excessive" conditions.

4 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Red seems to be the Frackers theme colour unless you are paying the bills.

754CBBD1-0EEB-4A00-B61B-0387D0205763.thumb.jpeg.fe5707bff369d76242ba71dca5bf5898.jpeg

Alright Ben I'll give you the money, but you have to wear these clown pants for the entire campaign!

• Like 1

Went for a walk today, just as the fire broke out. 

No progress on the base sites, although there may be new in-ground services in place. The southern most base (NYYC?) is being used to store some enormous tanks for the infrastructure construction. 

Most of the silos to the south have been removed. The pier for the base sites is well underway. Streets in the area are being opened up, probably in time for summer.

Its now five hours since I took these photos and the fire is still burning. Who knows how much of that building is going to be standing in the morning.

(I also hAte the fact that my iPhone doesn’t upload the photos the right way!)

DC62FC82-EB4E-49C4-A9B6-7424CD27D978.jpeg

4F488717-FE83-4B17-938D-735AEBF2488B.jpeg

084BEF20-FFE8-4590-8CD1-2481FDF1F7C0.jpeg

867ED312-3FED-4876-810E-7D11E58EB79D.jpeg

BC121596-21F6-44BF-B7AB-AF51DBA842EF.jpeg

FC5DA42A-9E22-4F6E-984B-D7DF83BA6FD6.jpeg

• Like 1
On 10/19/2019 at 7:35 AM, Priscilla said:

Red seems to be the Frackers theme colour unless you are paying the bills.

754CBBD1-0EEB-4A00-B61B-0387D0205763.thumb.jpeg.fe5707bff369d76242ba71dca5bf5898.jpeg

On 10/19/2019 at 12:06 PM, Boybland said:

Alright Ben I'll give you the money, but you have to wear these clown pants for the entire campaign!

You do know that their royal yacht club is based in Cowes, do you?

And that those red trousers are commonly referred to as "I've been to Cowes trousers"?

Ask @dogwatch , he will know and probably wear them too.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You do know that their royal yacht club is based in Cowes, do you?

And that those red trousers are commonly referred to as "I've been to Cowes trousers"?

Ask @dogwatch , he will know and probably wear them too.

image.jpeg.3b3161957182d08667a1daf4fddbaadc.jpeg

• Like 2

I've posted this on here before, but I'm intrigued by the connection now that the AC is being held in Auckland, so for anyone who didn't see it the first time, and with apologies to anyone who did.

My grandfather was a shipwright and was on the team that built this piece of "composite" technology, launched right about where the new AC bases stand today, on 22 September 1941.

HMS Manuka was an anti-magnetic Castle class minesweeper built for the Navy by Mason Brothers Engineering, of composite construction, ie., kauri planking on steel frames.

The colour pic appeared in National Geographic in 1942.

Note the Manuka branch on the bow - she had a proper Maori blessing during the launch ceremony.

In the B&W team photo, presumably taken the same day, my grandfather and his brother (also a shipwright) are front right.

the-minesweeper-hms-manuka-is-sent-to-meet-the-japanese-BRH5FG.jpg

HMSManuka-Sid-FredSHAW-1941.jpg

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

? Whoa, wth is that?

The Germans laid mines all around the NZ coastline during WW2. Most were detonated by contact but the Navy was worried about magnetic mines so built several wooden sweepers. In fact some magnetic mines were laid but it was only after the War that they were discovered.

Edit: At least one ship was sunk by German mines, and one which just happened to have a large quantity of gold on board! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Niagara

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, weta27 said:

The Germans laid mines all around the NZ coastline during WW2. Most were detonated by contact but the Navy was worried about magnetic mines so built several wooden sweepers. In fact some magnetic mines were laid but it was only after the War that they were discovered.

Edit: At least one ship was sunk by German mines, and one which just happened to have a large quantity of gold on board! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Niagara

There is also claimed to be sufficient oil aboard for a significant environmental disaster!  periodically interest is shown in doing something about it https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/shows/2018/07/race-to-prevent-potential-oil-spill-from-niagara-shipwreck-off-whang-rei.html 

But then it goes back in the too hard basket.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, weta27 said:

HMS Manuka was an anti-magnetic Castle class minesweeper built for the Navy by Mason Brothers Engineering, of composite construction, ie., kauri planking on steel frames.

Supplementary facts for the day:

• Mason Brothers Engineering built a factory in Wynyard Quarter.  They also built hydro dam turbines I believe.
  • The Mason Brothers Building was later occupied by Southern Spars.
  • The building was recently re-purposed for commercial offices and now house Wynyard Edge, who are responsible for the infrastructure for the America's Cup. 

https://warrenandmahoney.com/portfolio/mason-bros-wynyard-quarter

Interesting article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/79772478/wynyard-quarter-building-gets-its-plaque-back

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, Rennmaus said:

Don't know where to put it ...

... but watching Stephen Colbert’s series about his recent trip to NZ: yours really looks like a lovely country - and Jacinda’s unreal

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Xlot said:

... but watching Stephen Colbert’s series about his recent trip to NZ: yours really looks like a lovely country - and Jacinda’s unreal

Yep. Jacinda is unreal alright.

• Like 3

trumpy is in a league of his own ... there is not much good, honest or even human about him

silly cindy is not the greatest brain wise ( one still wonders if she is a thatcher clone )

and the jury is still out on whether the fisher is her husband or wife