Darwin strikes again

11 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/africa/tanzania-us-man-proposal-drowns-intl-trnd/index.html

American drowns after proposing to his girlfriend underwater in Tanzania

Not sure that counts, just tragically sad in my book. 

Diving down a few feet is hardly Darwin worthy. 

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got that backwards. Boiling water at sea level is 212. As the altitude increases, the boiling point of water goes down, so you can boil water at much lower temperatures at higher altitude and stil

110 bones.  

Guns in the hands of good people, solve problems successfully.    Honestly Timothy’s friend should be charged as an accessory to his death, and also charged with an attempted robbery.      Gun co

Posted Images

On 9/9/2019 at 1:00 PM, Grrr... said:

Yeah, my comment was more pissy than factual.  I'm dealing with an 'issue' right now where the lawyers won't take a case because it's contingency and the payout isn't big enough.  It's gone so far that in one session I was told "we'd pursue this if the person involved had died.... but seeing as how they are still alive, it just isn't worth the money it would take to bring to court." So I have a pretty bad taste in my mouth right now over lawyers.

Understand.  That's a shitty situation and I feel for you.  Note that contingency lawyers who take cases worth less than half a mill are usually going to be very young or very shit.  Michigan has almost no good 33 percenters because of our unique no-fault law.  Same reason auto insurance is twice as much here as in the rest of the country.

Feel free to drop me a line if I might be able to help you navigate anything, perhaps give you some ideas on how to recover some of the damages without a contingency lawyer.

Disclaimer: This is not an offer to represent anyone and no attorney-client relationship has been formed or can be formed with me without a written retainer agreement, I am not an attorney registered in your state  and cannot represent you, and cannot offer legal information or advice about a matter in your state, only general factual information, etc. etc.

I wonder if this Darwin award needs a sub category.   I genuinely feel bad for this swimming guy whose misguided proposal went wrong.

Typically I'm here to condemn the idiots offing themselves with a bud light in one hand.   This poor guy shouldn't be in water deeper than a bathtub.

Sadness all about,   And Snaggy is correct.  Requirements satisfied.  Presumably before reproduction, but perhaps not?

On 9/21/2019 at 5:34 PM, Cal20sailor said:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/21/africa/tanzania-us-man-proposal-drowns-intl-trnd/index.html

American drowns after proposing to his girlfriend underwater in Tanzania

Sue Neptune.

Receive Judgement.

Don't ever go near the sea again.

Neptune waits, and is very very patient. He'll wait until you don't notice that one wave.

Another Darwin Award wannabe...

A video posted on Instagram shows a woman who climbed into the Bronx Zoo's African lion exhibit this past weekend.

The queen of bad ideas confronted the king of the jungle on Saturday when she climbed into a lion enclosure at the Bronx Zoo and taunted one of the big cats in a wild, caught-on-camera encounter.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/01/woman-walks-into-lions-den-at-bronx-zoo-and-survives/

The unidentified woman can be seen dancing and waving at the wild animal as though it were nothing more than a common house cat, according to video clips posted to Instagram.

Zoogoers on Tuesday questioned whether the woman belongs at the top of the food chain with the rest of the human race.

“I’m sorry, but that’s dumb,” Andrea Arndt said on Tuesday when shown the hair-raising video.

“Why would you do this? What drug was she on to make her dance around a lion like that? It may be a zoo, but it’s still a wild animal.”

Lucky for the woman, there was a roughly 15-foot moat between her and the lion meant to keep the razor-toothed cats from simply leaping out of their pen and wreaking havoc on the Big Apple.

380238310_Womanteasinglion.jpeg.b8a669b2ed0db5f879dd8fd9f9773883.jpeg

Still, the zoo wasn’t exactly thrilled.

“This action was a serious violation and unlawful trespass that could have resulted in serious injury or death,” zoo officials said in a statement Tuesday.

“Barriers and rules are in place to keep both visitors, staff and animals safe.

“We have a zero-tolerance policy on trespass and violation of barriers.”

The zoo reported the feline caper to police — and told cops the woman also climbed into a giraffe enclosure, according to law-enforcement officials.

4 hours ago, QBF said:

Another Darwin Award wannabe...

A video posted on Instagram shows a woman who climbed into the Bronx Zoo's African lion exhibit this past weekend.

The queen of bad ideas confronted the king of the jungle on Saturday when she climbed into a lion enclosure at the Bronx Zoo and taunted one of the big cats in a wild, caught-on-camera encounter.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/01/woman-walks-into-lions-den-at-bronx-zoo-and-survives/

380238310_Womanteasinglion.jpeg.b8a669b2ed0db5f879dd8fd9f9773883.jpeg

see even the king of the zoo won't deal with crazy...

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

see even the king of the zoo won't deal with crazy...

It is a good thing for the lion that he didn’t attack that woman. If he had, he most likely would have been put down.

Update: This crazy lady has been identified. She told people that She has nothing to fear from anything breathing as even animals can feel love!

https://nypost.com/2019/10/02/woman-who-climbed-into-bronx-zoo-lions-den-identified/

On 8/27/2019 at 4:10 PM, Windward said:

So hypothetically lets just say the railing had a defect... rust stains, a loose bolt, a bird poo.

Then what... would this be the railings fault? Probably according to some.

Why not do the stupid stuff we all did to injure ourselves in youth. 

Sledding questionable hills with a creek at the bottom.
That jump on the BMX bike that was of shoddy construction.
That last "one more" run of the day skiing when you are tired and cold.
That snowball of perfect ice/snow/whatever detritus aimed at the window.  (well that only injured by rear later)

Want to do parcour?  Have at it.  Wingsuit? probably not the greatest idea, but ok.  Extreme Yoga?  No. Thats just dumb.  Like photographing yourself doing extreme knitting in dangerous locations. 

Our friends in NZ will probably answer the above in the completely opposite way than we in the West.  

On 8/28/2019 at 5:18 AM, Grrr... said:

Nope.  It's not in the United States.  Only our batshit insane legal system assumes there is always a victim.

Yes it's batshit.  God help you if you do some of the dumb shit we did back in the day nowdays.  Lawsuit is probably the least of your worries. 

• 2 weeks later...

A woman was killed as she leaned out of a train window  a report said.

Bethan Roper, 28, was hit in the head by a tree branch while on board a Great Western Railway (GWR) service travelling at about 75mph (120km/h) near Twerton, Bath after she stuck her head out the train window  

_109251638_capture.jpg

• 1 month later...

yes, late entries coming in for the year end award..

A 65-year-old American man who rigged his home with a booby trap to keep out intruders has been killed by the device.

Ronald Cyr called police in the town of Van Buren in the state of Maine to say he had been shot.

Police found a door had been designed to fire a handgun should anyone attempt to enter. Mr Cyr was taken to hospital but died of his injuries.

36 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

yes, late entries coming in for the year end award..

Even in Maine that's gonna get you fucked if it shoots someone besides you (and definitely don't set up spring guns if you are a drinker or a stoner).  One of the first cases you learn in law school.  https://legaldictionary.net/katko-v-briney/

• 2 months later...

Darwin missed a golden opportunity.

Rescuers said four people helped from Ben Nevis were lucky to be alive.

They said the group who were caught in blizzard conditions had "no ice axes, no crampons and as far as we are aware no maps". Three of them were wearing trainers.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team found them near the summit of the mountain.

All four were taken by helicopter from part-way down the mountain to be checked over at Belford Hospital in Fort William.

The rescue helicopter, R151, could not be used near the summit because of the severity of the conditions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226

29 minutes ago, mad said:

Darwin missed a golden opportunity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51447226

In the summer a walk up Ben Nevis is a gentle stroll, ice axes and crampons would not be required even in winter, however proper maps compasses clothing and boots would be..

After All Clarkeson drove a Discovery up there, and 108 years ago someone drove a Model T ford up there..

PS I bet one of them had a moblie phone that could tell then where they were and which way to go..

On 10/16/2019 at 3:50 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

_109251638_capture.jpg

This event  has caused all railways (in the UK) to be told to fit interlocks, so windows can't be opened when moving.. Even historic carriages on preserved railways..

We get these types of folks year round

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hikers-rescued-after-accidentally-climbing-north-shore-mountain-1.4825464

"Somehow the women got lost, Jardine said. 

"They ended up on the top of a mountain, tens of kilometres away from where they should have been," Jardine said.

The two women unintentionally climbed nearly 1,000 metres from their starting point to the top of Coliseum Mountain, a peak north of Norvan Falls.

There were dressed in light jackets and tennis shoes and were carrying little food and water and had just one umbrella between them, Jardine said."

I've mentioned this before but around here it's not uncommon for "outsiders" to think - "Well, if I get lost I'll just look out and see the city and that will orient me"

They are looking at this when they think that

image.png.2343fe571fefc461c528ac737db06c4b.png

Thinking it will be like this

image.png.1a8df9f29f3dbbb6c71eb885e82942e8.png

And when they realize they are lost, this is all they see

image.png.f622751c32a0856abd6990b6e394b65b.png

People just don't realize they can get lost and die in the wilderness withing hiking distance of a major city.

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've mentioned this before but around here it's not uncommon for "outsiders" to think - "Well, if I get lost I'll just look out and see the city and that will orient me"

People just don't realize they can get lost and die in the wilderness withing hiking distance of a major city.

That has to be one of the best illustrations of hiking the coastal mountains I have seen.  On some mountains there are only a few viewpoints where you can see anything beyond the third picture, and the terrain is not a constant slope.  When climbing one of these mountains, you are really scaling a series of ridges, meaning to get to the top, you don't just climb, you go up and down constantly, which when combined with only a few hundred feet of visibility, can make it very disorienting, as without a compass/map or GPS, you can't tell which way you are going.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Marinatrix447 said:

Non-Jag owning racist... with minimal brain function, thankfully no longer on the loose down here in Devon.

I'm curious about the "Non-Jag owning" reference since it doesn't appear to have any bearing on this at all.

Despicable act. Glad he will get some time for that. Can you enlighten me?

• Like 1

Perhaps Trix thinks that everyone in the UK owns a Jag?

just a guess...

And the smoking hair and blast was a nice touch.  Too bad he didn't catch fire.

11 minutes ago, basketcase said:

one hell of a lawn dart.

He may not have proven that the Earth was flat, but he did prove that it is hard. Very hard.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Caca Cabeza said:

He may not have proven that the Earth was flat, but he did prove that it is hard. Very hard.

It was flat where he landed.

Even flatter now.

Sure glad I never hired his limo.

"I like to do extraordinary things that no one else can do and no one in the history of mankind has designed built and launched himself in his own rocket."

"I don't believe in science," Hughes added. "I know about aerodynamics and fluid dynamics and how things move through the air, about the certain size of rocket nozzles, and thrust. But that's not science, that's just a formula. There's no difference between science and science fiction."

"The reason why we're winning against science is that science just throws math at us,"   (Another flat earther, but worth including in this anti-tribute.)

• Like 1
On 2/11/2020 at 10:51 PM, SloopJonB said:

That was the point we were trying to make! 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:39 PM, Marinatrix447 said:

Evenin' chaps...

On P4 of this here thread… one Jeremy Clarkson (a Brit) suggests Jag owners are what we may term scallywags…. Hence the quip… though this twerp is a what we term over here in Blighty a WHITE VAN MAN

Really??  Which decade are you living in? 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Fairre questione..............                               :)

Dick Van Dyke sorry for 'atrocious cockney accent' in Mary Poppins

2 hours ago, Autonomous said:

When that chute opened up it deflected the rocket's trajectory. I wonder if he had the capability to shut down the motor and used it.

What was the chute for,  was that his idea for landing safely.  Ie when the rocket reaches its apex.  He jumps out and parachutes down

52 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

What was the chute for,  was that his idea for landing safely.  Ie when the rocket reaches its apex.  He jumps out and parachutes down

Yeah, and why was he not wearing it? Or was he wearing it and was dismembered when it got away and opened. The acceleration looked a bit extreme, too. But I’m sure that was fully vetted in the well-instrumented testing program....

Is the FAA or NTSB required to do an investigation?

That guy long ago with the balloons, lawn chair and pellet gun was wayyy smarter than today’s idiot. However Mad Mike appears to have attracted a crack ground crew. Can they continue without their leader?

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

You meane Lawne Chaire Larrey                                               :)

920x920.jpg

:)

When we were 14 one of my friends wanted to do that.

He outgrew the idea before he could track down the balloons he needed.

4 hours ago, Autonomous said:

It looks like the 'chute was for the whole craft.

Yeah - the same thing that Evel Knievel had at the Snake River.

Much the same result too - except his deployed instead of ripping off.

On 12/22/2017 at 10:08 PM, SloopJonB said:

Wow.

That would be interesting cleanup duty - I wonder if skin holds together after a fall like that?

No.  It doesn't.  Picture a tomato getting hit by a hammer.

12 hours ago, mad said:

Really??  Which decade are you living in? 

The 18JRMs, when the sun never set, blah, blah, blah.

32 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I’m guessing it’s a bit less than flat on that spot....

"Cleanup! Cleanup! Negative flatness in aisle 14."

Who pays for the cleanup?

His property must be a shambles.

Limo soon to be seen on Craigslist?

What a mess, and a selfish way to go if he made no plans.  I hope he did, but I doubt it.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It would be a consolation to him if he saw just enough to convince himself "It's FLAT!"

In the ende, Mikes worlde wase compreste/flattened to matche hise viewe.  Win/Win,  gonig oute sollide.                                         :)

53 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

It would be a consolation to him if he saw just enough to convince himself "It's FLAT!"

More likely he had just a brief moment of "Oh, fuck. It's round."  

If I was the deity I would have chosen this outcome.    Allow him to wast years and thousands, let him prove himself wrong, then just as he becomes enlightened and accepts Eratosthenes let him prove his steam Rocket was unsafe.    

On 2/24/2020 at 1:48 AM, SloopJonB said:

When we were 14 one of my friends wanted to do that.

He outgrew the idea before he could track down the balloons he needed.

I  actually did that to a kid who was about..... Hmmmm..... Maybe 5 y/o at a wedding in London in 2000. I tied 7-8 helium balloons to his belt, and tossed him in the air. His friends had a great time batting him around the hall until some adult got involved, and brought him down to earth.... I have pictures somewhere....

We once, after filling our bellies with beers, filled a garbage bag with helium, attached a particularly annoying small homeless cat, and let it fly. Like Mad Mike it seemed like a good idea until moments after launch. Lucky for everyone the bag turned out to to be sufficiently leaky and the cat soon came safely back to earth. Seemed to enjoy the ride, though.

An attempted UFO hoax failed.    Three balloons can lift a glow stick.   A snake of these, connected by fish line, ballasted with a few nuts for near neutral buoyancy, will slowly float downwind bobbing up and down like a Chinese dragon.    Unfortunately nobody noticed.   

Nowadays the radiologists are appalled we waste helium on such frivolous things when they need it for their MRIs.   

On 10/2/2019 at 11:07 AM, QBF said:

This is the best video of a Darwin wannabe I’ve ever seen!

I would throw a fire cracker down manholes when I was a kid. Till one blew up. But I never would stand next to one after dropping the fire cracker in. 

7 hours ago, Topmast said:

I would throw a fire cracker down manholes when I was a kid. Till one blew up. But I never would stand next to one after dropping the fire cracker in. 

Now that will make a great anti-littering commercial

49 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

this has to be a winner...

25kg of dry ice in an indoor pool.  results in several dead...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51680049

ffwd to the one minute mark if you want see them drop the ice in the pool

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uZpxF_1582986725

I can't believe that nobody there said "hey, guys..."

2 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Yeahe, orr even "Эй, ребята..."                                         :)

I discovered something very disturbing.

Snaggy spells correctly in cyrillic !!!

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

this has to be a winner...

25kg of dry ice in an indoor pool.  results in several dead...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51680049

ffwd to the one minute mark if you want see them drop the ice in the pool

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uZpxF_1582986725

The so called journalists referring to CO2 as a poisonous gas are real winners. It simply displaces the O2 in the air.