Best cheap offshore sport boat

PinkSpinnaker

Currently trying to find a cheap sportboat that could be raced offshore and ramp launched. Eyeballing a Carrera 290 Modified, but it is not a drop keel. Hobie 33 sounds practical but I cannot find a drop keel for less than $18k. My budget is a lot less then that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sportboats w/ a lifting keel that can be raced offshore in that price range is going to be tough and will also depend on the rules and regulations in your area.  Some boats that come to mind would be the Ultimate 20 or 24, might be able to get an older Melges 24 below 18K.  Not sure either of those would be allowed to race offshore in all regions though.  It's possible to ramp launch fixed keel boats, it just takes longer.  Fixed keel boat opens your list up considerably.  Express 27, Moore 24, etc.  Then there's the usual recommendation to race what other people are racing in your area.

4 hours ago, thistle3466 said:

Currently trying to find a cheap sportboat that could be raced offshore and ramp launched. Eyeballing a Carrera 290 Modified, but it is not a drop keel. Hobie 33 sounds practical but I cannot find a drop keel for less than $18k. My budget is a lot less then that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Let me get this straight.... you expect to find a boat that is cheaper AND faster than a Hobie 33, and you want to sail it offshore?

I can't help with that, sorry. Doesn't sound very promising.

FB- Doug

2 hours ago, Aqua Logic said:

There's an SR 27 for sale in Buffalo, NY that would likely fit your bill..

Is it? I was visiting up there this spring and walked right by that boat in the yard; didn't see a "for sale" sign or anything. The SR-27 is on my short list of boats I want for my next family-PHRF sailing adventure

Thanks

FB- Doug

Archived