• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

14 hours ago, minca3 said:

at least some one wants to race

Clearly shows AM is foiling pretty nicely while LR is stuck in displacement mode. </Sarcasm font off>

Don't know if all boats are designed to foil in 6kt, would be interesting to have few races in marginal conditions as the game might become keep airborne at all cost and we could see interesting maneuvers and such. While I prefer to see them at the upper end of their potential, I think it would be quite a show at the lower end as well.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 2:57 AM, Lakrass said:

Clearly shows AM is foiling pretty nicely while LR is stuck in displacement mode. </Sarcasm font off>

Don't know if all boats are designed to foil in 6kt, would be interesting to have few races in marginal conditions as the game might become keep airborne at all cost and we could see interesting maneuvers and such. While I prefer to see them at the upper end of their potential, I think it would be quite a show at the lower end as well.

unfortunately I feel like that would just result in a lot of two-tack beats...

The davit on the back (media station?) sure is freakin ugly. Hope its specs were made public early. Looks like something you would need to account for in the design cycle, especially when compared to the relatively tiny rudder.

I wonder if the shallow aft section on AM is designed to generate righting moment by creating a pocket of low pressure below the hull.

Whereas the other challengers have clearly tried to maximize the end plate effect, and seal the hull against the water, AM is perhaps trading power from the bottom of the main for righting moment, which could allow them to make use of more power up higher in the rig where the wind is stronger? 

• Like 3

Here's more video than you're going to see on a real race day! (I deleted half my footage and it it's still stupidly long, sorry)

Best to view it on YouTube, I've put timestamps of a few interesting moments in a pinned comment.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It certainly looks like these AC75's will be spending all of their time up on the foils.

If they get wind around the minimum, say 6-8 knots, I think they will struggle, especially as they tack.

43 minutes ago, JustinL42 said:

Two downwind crosses and then Patriot gets a bit squirly after the last cross.

@1:53 is that Rita's wind shadow effect in action? If so it's massive.

13 minutes ago, laser 173312 said:

@1:53 is that Rita's wind shadow effect in action? If so it's massive.

He said in the description on youtube he couldn't tell if it was that or them swerving to miss a chase boat. He said multiple teams had chase boats in the area but he was zoomed in from far away so hard to tell.

4 hours ago, JustinL42 said:

He said in the description on youtube he couldn't tell if it was that or them swerving to miss a chase boat. He said multiple teams had chase boats in the area but he was zoomed in from far away so hard to tell.

Looked like either massive wind shadow, in which case racing will be interesting, or they went too low to try and cross in front, which will also make racing interesting! 

• Like 2
On 11/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, minimumfuss said:

Looked like either massive wind shadow, in which case racing will be interesting, or they went too low to try and cross in front, which will also make racing interesting! 

At the distance the video was being taken I highly doubt the boats were as close as it is perceived. The perspective effect brings them closer but it was probably further apart. Probably an intentional stoppage or an oops. No winds shadow effect.

Remember that during the last 2 AC cycles there weren’t any huge wind shadow effects during a crossing. Minor at best and with their speeds a crossing wind shadow effect last a second at most.

• Like 1

FYI,  the Vendée Globe race starts today (Sun 8th).   Start time is 12:00p GMT,  11:00p AEDT, 1:00a NZ (Mon).   33 yachts are competing.

No TV coverage for Aussies, but apparently online at  http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/web-tv  or their YouTube channel http://channel www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdv_hgDx7oTT3kJAMnd5A .

image.png.ea206db9202aca68fa4c1a63525d2123.png

Apologies if this info has already been posted.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2020 at 9:31 AM, olboss said:

I wonder if the shallow aft section on AM is designed to generate righting moment by creating a pocket of low pressure below the hull.

Whereas the other challengers have clearly tried to maximize the end plate effect, and seal the hull against the water, AM is perhaps trading power from the bottom of the main for righting moment, which could allow them to make use of more power up higher in the rig where the wind is stronger? 

You better delete your post before the forum’s vocal majority sees it. Had the same comment when LR B1 first sailed - ground effect similar to F1 cars’ raked floor, except peak low pressure would be towards the bow - and was tarred and feathered

It is true what you note, other B2s appear to sail much flatter - so we may never know

21 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

FYI,  the Vendée Globe race starts today (Sun 8th).   Start time is 12:00p GMT,  11:00p AEDT, 1:00a NZ (Mon).   33 yachts are competing.

No TV coverage for Aussies, but apparently online at  http://www.vendeeglobe.org/en/web-tv  or their YouTube channel http://channel www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pdv_hgDx7oTT3kJAMnd5A .

image.png.ea206db9202aca68fa4c1a63525d2123.png

Apologies if this info has already been posted.

Thanks, My first sighting here. It's gonna be an epic battle.

I've got two 90-min Sky NZ segments recorded but they are on the big screen downstairs here in the "Village."  Savingt up for viewing tonight!

1 hour ago, pluscount said:
Whatever the "Vendee Globe" is, I'm not sure how it relates to Team NYYC. Are they entered?

Oh...wait....I just saw that all the interest was from 1 wanker in AU and one wanker from NZ.  Now I understand.

My apologies. On reflection, I can see that a foiling 60' round-the-world monohull ocean racer could not possibly be of interest in relation to a 65' foiling monohull in the AC.

From an Aussie wanker.

• Like 4
On 11/8/2020 at 5:59 AM, I14RACER said:

At the distance the video was being taken I highly doubt the boats were as close as it is perceived. The perspective effect brings them closer but it was probably further apart. Probably an intentional stoppage or an oops. No winds shadow effect.

Remember that during the last 2 AC cycles there weren’t any huge wind shadow effects during a crossing. Minor at best and with their speeds a crossing wind shadow effect last a second at most.

Adding my 2 cents: identical boat sizes in the frame suggests they may have actually crossed very close.

image.png.5a696e00063ccd3c198ed56168dc3d2e.png

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, pluscount said:
Whatever the "Vendee Globe" is, I'm not sure how it relates to Team NYYC. Are they entered?

Oh...wait....I just saw that all the interest was from 1 wanker in AU and one wanker from NZ.  Now I understand.

I know you live far from salt water but surely you jest!

Vendee Globe was first contested in 1989 as a solo non-stop around the world race. This year will be the ninth. To put it mildly, a rich history.   Mostly French and some European racers. Only two Americans, Mike Plant and Rich Wilson. 

And the relevance of foils? Foil-assisted boats took the first four places four years ago.

Read and enjoy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendée_Globe

From a Kiwi wanker!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

My apologies. On reflection, I can see that a foiling 60' round-the-world monohull ocean racer could not possibly be of interest in relation to a 65' foiling monohull in the AC.

@MaxHugen Then I submit respectfully that you should start a new thread with this information.  This kind of thread drift/hijack is annoying.  If that was your intent, you hit the mark with me.

• Downvote 1
20 hours ago, bortolo said:

Adding my 2 cents: identical boat sizes in the frame suggests they may have actually crossed very close.

Seems like AM is riding higher, but their masthead is lower... And, yeah, they are closer to each other than they are to the camera, but not necessarily all that close to each other. But cool shot anyway.

6 hours ago, I14RACER said:

It takes a good bit of difference in distance between object to give the sense of perspective.

You may be right. However I did a quick calculation just for the sake of wasting work time.

Assuming:
- Mast height: 26.5m
- Camera distance: 500m
- Supposed boats relative distance (in direction of the camera): 50m
Perceived difference of mast heights would be 2.65m (that is 10%). Clearly not the case in the frame.

Assuming camera distance = 1000m and same 50m between boats then the perceived mast heights difference would be 1.325m (5%). Maybe this is more compatible with the frame.

So it all depends on how far they were from Justin's camera. 

I still like to think that they were at 1-2 boat lengths when they crossed and that Sir Ben did try a trick on the yankees. It's just more fun.

10 hours ago, bortolo said:

You may be right. However I did a quick calculation just for the sake of wasting work time.

Assuming:
- Mast height: 26.5m
- Camera distance: 500m
- Supposed boats relative distance (in direction of the camera): 50m
Perceived difference of mast heights would be 2.65m (that is 10%). Clearly not the case in the frame.

Assuming camera distance = 1000m and same 50m between boats then the perceived mast heights difference would be 1.325m (5%). Maybe this is more compatible with the frame.

So it all depends on how far they were from Justin's camera. 

I still like to think that they were at 1-2 boat lengths when they crossed and that Sir Ben did try a trick on the yankees. It's just more fun.

In the case of this video, the actual camera distance is an order of magnitude higher. We're using very long lens which flatted the video immensely. Here are some distances from the camera to some fixed points in the video.

Northern Leading light, 2.6km
image.png.f1834a57651fbbccbb9b0125f643ee93.png

Motuihi Island (left): 11.5km
Browns Island beacon: 7.8km
image.png.910253c570af3fc6e5a8be12d90866ec.png

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

In the case of this video, the actual camera distance is an order of magnitude higher. We're using very long lens which flatted the video immensely. Here are some distances from the camera to some fixed points in the video.

Northern Leading light, 2.6km
image.png.f1834a57651fbbccbb9b0125f643ee93.png

Motuihi Island (left): 11.5km
Browns Island beacon: 7.8km
image.png.910253c570af3fc6e5a8be12d90866ec.png

Thank you Mike!

this illustrates perfectly how wild the “estimates” can be 

bloke with well meaning home brew calcs says distance is 500m and uses that to cook the rest of the numbers 

bloke who took the video/pics, “yeah it’s about 10k away... “

home brew maths” bugger” 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Thank you Mike!

this illustrates perfectly how wild the “estimates” can be 

bloke with well meaning home brew calcs says distance is 500m and uses that to cook the rest of the numbers 

bloke who took the video/pics, “yeah it’s about 10k away... “

home brew maths” bugger” 

Yes but you know the height of the beacon and the height of the point on Motuihe and the distance between the two.  Doesn't that help with calculations between two other objects in the same frame?

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Yes but you know the height of the beacon and the height of the point on Motuihe and the distance between the two.  Doesn't that help with calculations between two other objects in the same frame?

In theory it would but the error margins are far too great to make a reliable estimate

2 hours ago, Kate short for Bob said:

When they are  guessing at 500m and coming out with a 10% margin of error and the correct distance is in the 9-10km region it’s not leaving me especially confident.. 

On 11/9/2020 at 3:26 AM, bortolo said:

Forget looking at the race boats.  Go back to the video & look at the chase boats.  The cross was very close given that chase boats following AM and Ineos had to take all kinds of evasive actions to avoid running into each other.

Now the AM splashdown occurred well after the cross and I saw no chase boats causing AM and problems.  I am just betting it was some kind of goof from a crewmember on the boat.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JustinL42 said:

Man that's cutting it a bit close isn't it! That's another power boat on the other side it looks like.

Hope the fishers weren't using floaters. ;-)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JustinL42 said:

Looks like Roger Mills got some footage.

Patriot looked bloody quick in that opening sequence from .025 until the belly flop. She might well be a rocket ship.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, weta27 said:

Saw them towing back in, into the strong southwesterly, 25 knots gusting 35 according to Metservice. Would have been a handful out there.

Darn, would have been interesting to see them in that "breeze".

[edit] oops, should have watched Roger's video first.

First of the cut down main sails?

Looks a bit agricultural with the battens sticking out the leech. Why can't they just get smaller battens to fit the smaller main?

(edit: well, first smaller than min batten length at least))

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Patriot looked bloody quick in that opening sequence from .025 until the belly flop. She might well be a rocket ship.

She left the chase boats in the spray for sure. Looked like a controlled sit down rather than a flop really.

• Like 1