30 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

the smaller foils are faster and so I think ETNZ who have the smallest now may go one smaller come the final. To go smaller you must master the time to foil and tack and gybe speeds. the 6.5 Knot wind range will be the stuff of nightmares

Smaller foils are not necessarily faster. Only if the extra drag from higher AOA or more flap use doesn't outweigh the drag reduction from less surface area.

And also remember that foils can be bigger or smaller in 3 dimensions. We have largely assumed that they are all full width, and then judged cord length based on that- which may be valid or not. And we have rarely had any reliable info on their thickness

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

3 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Smaller foils are not necessarily faster. Only if the extra drag from higher AOA or more flap use doesn't outweigh the drag reduction from less surface area.

And also remember that foils can be bigger or smaller in 3 dimensions. We have largely assumed that they are all full width, and then judged cord length based on that- which may be valid or not. And we have rarely had any reliable info on their thickness

TH specifically mentioned surface area when he discussed which foils were smaller.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, I14RACER said:

Here’s a snapshot from that latest video. The foil bulb-to-wing blend looks more Kiwi like now...

6DC34E64-F946-4811-B7CB-EF9C67FAFFD6.jpeg

I suspect the new foils will look more like the NZ foils with a blended bulb.  TH seemed to make a big point about how they will be a logical progression from the first two sets.  He must have wanted people to know that it comes from their plan and not that they are copying NZ.

The foils seem to be moving into two camps, which are the big surface area of LR and Ineos and the blended wing smaller surface area of AM and ETNZ.  Considering that AM  and ETNZ look like the faster boats, it would seem sensible for LR and Ineos to move into this area. There’s nothing stoping these syndicates trimming their wings and staying within the 20% rule. 

45 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Would be an interesting pre-start maneuver to pull off at the right time

Could be useful at the leeward gate, maybe for getting a split or something.  Luna Rosa's roundings straight into foiling takes were certainly working for them during the ACWS.

3 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Or one bloody quick  POB manoeuvre when Deano drops his pie overboard the seagulls would be shit out of luck .

• Like 1
On 1/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, I14RACER said:

Here’s a snapshot from that latest video. The foil bulb-to-wing blend looks more Kiwi like now...

6DC34E64-F946-4811-B7CB-EF9C67FAFFD6.jpeg

So that shark sushi pic was more than likely real then...

14 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

This should also be the required penalty maneuver. The subjectively bullshit slow down until the umpires determine that you've fallen back enough to clear it should go away. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, crashtack said:

So do we know what the final set of foils look like?

They said they are still finalizing them in their interview. I’m guessing we won’t see them for a bit unless needed in this series.

1 minute ago, I14RACER said:

They said they are still finalizing them in their interview. I’m guessing we won’t see them for a bit unless needed in this series.

Seems a bit arrogant to keep their final set in the bag until after the selection series...

6 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Seems a bit arrogant to keep their final set in the bag until after the selection series...

Not at all. They can still change foils before anything really matters in the Prada Cup. Why not keep the good kit hidden as long as possible?

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Not at all. They can still change foils before anything really matters in the Prada Cup. Why not keep the good kit hidden as long as possible?

Of course, keep your powder dry if you can!  The purpose is to win the Prada Cup.

16 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Seems like going in with completely new gear in a win-or-swim situation is a ...worrying proposition. It's not like ETNZ is going to have the time to reverse-engineer their foils in the 50 days until the AC, especially considering they've used their 3 set allotment.

40 minutes ago, crashtack said:

Seems like going in with completely new gear in a win-or-swim situation is a ...worrying proposition. It's not like ETNZ is going to have the time to reverse-engineer their foils in the 50 days until the AC, especially considering they've used their 3 set allotment.

All the teams will advance to the Semi’s so it’s not win or swim till then. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Ben gave Dean a lesson pre-start.

But what a difference in boat modes/speed/VMG!

I'm stuck with PJM on radio. They said 4kt VMG advantage to INEOS?? At least in one of the earlier legs.

Seems like the right was windier, and INEOS assiduously avoided the left. I don't think there is any way we can know what it would have been like had they had the same breeze. But yeah. A shellacking.

• Like 1

Hard to tell anything from the data overlays as they're moving so fast and they never stick on it for more than a few seconds at a time.

The only time we saw them in the same wind/water off the start line Patriot seemed faster.

I think most of the difference was pressure on the favored side of the course and missed laylines that caused them to do a few more tacks.

We shall see as the racing goes on.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, idontwan2know said:

I think most of the difference was pressure on the favored side of the course and missed laylines that caused them to do a few more tacks.

Pressure, smessher.  They were either smoked or sandbagging.  Place your bets.

3 minutes ago, nroose said:

They also lost the start due to conservative decision making.

Agreed. They could have timed their start better and throttled up better and probably gotten over the top to claim the right side. Probably a totally different race if they do.

Not unreasonable. Carbon has great (strength,stiffness)/weight ratios but steel is still better for (strength/stiffness)/volume plus is much more forgiving in terms of manufacturing for the rudder shapes/sizes in question. Most likely most of the rudders in the fleet are made from both metal and carbon fiber but it wouldnt surprise me if teams had made shorter lead time foils or more likely elevators from pure metal.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, SoCalSlacker said:

Not unreasonable. Carbon has great (strength,stiffness)/weight ratios but steel is still better for (strength/stiffness)/volume plus is much more forgiving in terms of manufacturing for the rudder shapes/sizes in question. Most likely most of the rudders in the fleet are made from both metal and carbon fiber but it wouldnt surprise me if teams had made shorter lead time foils or more likely elevators from pure metal.

I recall that ETNZ switched to milled steel boards in AC35 to get sufficient strength for their narrow thin foils.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Eh?  How do they delaminate?

I didn't say anything about delaminating.... ???   Have you confused that with "milled" somehow?

6 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I thought ETNZ foils in AC35 were delaminating during the Match.

Certainly not during the Cup, on their steel foils.  But perhaps they had carbon foils, with delam issues earlier in the series, before deciding they had to switch to steel? I don't know just when they switched.

13 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

I thought ETNZ foils in AC35 were delaminating during the Match.

As far as I remember they were on the last legs with their foils and were worried they could break at any time.  That’s what they said afterwards  anyway.   They were having them scanned for damage every night after racing.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Certainly not during the Cup, on their steel foils.  But perhaps they had carbon foils, with delam issues earlier in the series, before deciding they had to switch to steel? I don't know just when they switched.

No no no.  During the Match their favoured foils were delaminating. Lots of articles online about this.  Every night they were scanning them to see if they would last.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

I recall that ETNZ switched to milled steel boards in AC35 to get sufficient strength for their narrow thin foils.

ETNZ changed to a steel rudder not foils.  The infamous Steely Dan.

3 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

No no no.  During the Match their favoured foils were delaminating. Lots of articles online about this.  Every night they were scanning them to see if they would last.

I don't know if they were technically delaminating - rather the steel was starting to show signs of fatigue and hairline cracking (?) they were able to scan the foils to examine the internal steel to see the hairline cracks... kinda like aeronautical metal fatigue

https://www.zetec.com/blog/metal-fatigue-detection-using-advanced-ndt-to-identify-failing-metals/

• Like 1

Yes as I recall the issue was metal fatigue & they didn't have % change available to go in & fix it.

So there was at least a metal core in there.

10 minutes ago, hoom said:

Yes as I recall the issue was metal fatigue & they didn't have % change available to go in & fix it.

So there was at least a metal core in there.

Pretty much the only info I've found is same as in https://www.yachtingworld.com/americas-cup/design-in-detail-exactly-what-made-emirates-team-new-zealand-so-fast-109101  :

" They had less wetted surface area, too, something they achieved with a different build method, milled steel sheathed in carbon, which was heavier but allowed them to create a finer, slenderer shape. "

According to https://www.sail-world.com/news/233299/Americas-Cup-Rialto-Nov-20-Kiwis-first-sail  , ETNZ is again using steel:

" The wings and flaps are all made from milled steel [Bernasconi]"

• Like 2

The Yankee Doodles will have to face Prada tomorrow, wind prediction is a lighter breeze than today.  Then they have to face the Brits again. IF at the end of tomorrow they haven’t won either race, things will be looking grim for them. 

40 minutes ago, mako23 said:

The Yankee Doodles will have to face Prada tomorrow, wind prediction is a lighter breeze than today.  Then they have to face the Brits again. IF at the end of tomorrow they haven’t won either race, things will be looking grim for them. 

They'll have some "go faster" to bolt on, so not really. If they don't have any more "go faster" in stock, they're screwed, obviously...

1 hour ago, Nutta said:

They'll have some "go faster" to bolt on, so not really. If they don't have any more "go faster" in stock, they're screwed, obviously...

They have some soul searching to do to be sure after that as kicking but all three teams make the semis so plenty of time to tune up for when it really counts. 

Question will be is where everyone was in relation to the ranges on the foils. 

If AM/Prada were way over range today for their lightest wind foils then they should pick up performance when it gets lighter. 

with only head sail and main changes allowed and no one knowing the range of use for the light air foils it’s going to be revealing.

given the forecast you would have to have gone with your lightest air set up (foils) and hoped it didn’t get too strong today or you didn’t lose to INEOS .. 

2 hours ago, Nutta said:

I doubt that speed is the problem - it certainly wasn't in the ACWS.  More likely strategy.

As much as AM talked about respecting all of the challengers, I think they underestimated the speed of UK.  It was probably obvious to all of the crews that the right side was the better side.  I think that AM misread the wind differentials.  Ben captured the right and Dean chose to split thinking that he could make up the difference with a "faster boat".  It did not work, at times UK had upwind VMG's 5-8 knot faster than AM.  Ben also got the right side with LR, but at least LR spent most of their time on the right side and didn't fall so far behind as AM.  But even LR didn't have enough speed to overtake UK.

9 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

As much as AM talked about respecting all of the challengers, I think they underestimated the speed of UK.  It was probably obvious to all of the crews that the right side was the better side.  I think that AM misread the wind differentials.  Ben captured the right and Dean chose to split thinking that he could make up the difference with a "faster boat".  It did not work, at times UK had upwind VMG's 5-8 knot faster than AM.  Ben also got the right side with LR, but at least LR spent most of their time on the right side and didn't fall so far behind as AM.  But even LR didn't have enough speed to overtake UK.

Maybe, but at the presser Terry said they favoured the left.

Bad start, bad weather read and worse VMG. They will be the ones sleepless tonight I think, esp as they are the one with 2 races tomorrow

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

that aged well...

To be fair there were times where they were looking down the course with no sign of Rita, mainly because INEOS were on a different leg :lol:

2 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

Bad start, bad weather read and worse VMG. They will be the ones sleepless tonight I think, esp as they are the one with 2 races tomorrow

Look Terry and Deano make an awful tactical combination..  Goes all the way back to the 2007 America’s Cup.  Hutch and Deano REFUSED to take the right off the starts.  Race after race they allowed Alinghi the right and Alinghi bludgeoned them tack after tack and reduced ETNZ to a pile of rubble.  

They don’t make the best sailing decisions, been like that for years..

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Look Terry and Deano make an awful tactical combination..  Goes all the way back to the 2007 America’s Cup.  Hutch and Deano REFUSED to take the right off the starts.  Race after race they allowed Alinghi the right and Alinghi bludgeoned them tack after tack and reduced ETNZ to a pile of rubble.  

They don’t make the best sailing decisions, been like that for years..

Exactly my thought when I heard that both are in the same team again.

The lefty that screwed Prada at the start of  Race 2 could have saved a lot of bacon if it had happened during a race.

So there were left hand shifts, but they weren't frequent enough of loud enough to matter much.

Although we are supposed to love short races close to shore, this is a pretty crap place to play for high stakes.  

SHC

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

The lefty that screwed Prada at the start of  Race 2 could have saved a lot of bacon if it had happened during a race.

So there were left hand shifts, but they weren't frequent enough of loud enough to matter much.

Although we are supposed to love short races close to shore, this is a pretty crap place to play for high stakes.  

SHC

Nailed it! 

I wonder if a fairer course might have been laid elsewhere instead. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

If Memory serves the Hauraki Gulf is a funhouseofhorrors ( which I think is the meaning of "Hauraki")  no matter where or what you sail.

SHC

I'm pretty sure the English translation of Hauraki has always been "sparkling waters where America's Cup challenges fail, sink and die", though my cat may well have just made that up.

4 minutes ago, Steve Clark said:

If Memory serves the Hauraki Gulf is a funhouseofhorrors ( which I think is the meaning of "Hauraki")  no matter where or what you sail.

SHC

Compared to Bermuda and more especially SF, yes it’s historically been a ‘house of horrors’ at times, the 2003 CSS especially so. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, enigmatically2 said:

That is the other conclusion, they read it totally wrong.

These two charts tell a lot.  UK had much higher TWS over most of the race.

1336598313_ScreenShot2021-01-15at2_28_28PM.thumb.jpg.4ee339eec9127657cd802f3b1c0eff7e.jpg

But this shows that AM is a faster boat:

126122008_ScreenShot2021-01-15at2_26_33PM.thumb.jpg.40fc5666db7e83cf87ca261df9889fbb.jpg

But, you need to sail the wind to win.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

1336598313_ScreenShot2021-01-15at2_28_28PM.thumb.jpg.4ee339eec9127657cd802f3b1c0eff7e.jpg

126122008_ScreenShot2021-01-15at2_26_33PM.thumb.jpg.40fc5666db7e83cf87ca261df9889fbb.jpg

Indeed.

Plus: Komparativ Defissit in TWS mutsh eezyer* to reverss than KD in Botespeed 

(*at leest, in approx 50% ov raysez, over tym)

18 hours ago, idontwan2know said:

Hard to tell anything from the data overlays as they're moving so fast and they never stick on it for more than a few seconds at a time.

The only time we saw them in the same wind/water off the start line Patriot seemed faster.

We shall see as the racing goes on.

Look at the start on virtual eye. The figures point to Ineos being faster with vmg as well.

18 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Indeed.

Plus: Komparativ Defissit in TWS mutsh eezyer* to reverss than KD in Botespeed 

(*at leest, in approx 50% ov raysez, over tym)

We need the VMG graph otherwise the speed one is inconclusive.

• Like 1
Just now, dullers said:

We need the VMG graph otherwise the speed one is inconclusive.

Tru dat. It IZ vmg/tws tho.

look klosely at bottom

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Tru dat. It IZ vmg/tws tho.

look klosely at bottom

Hello Old friend. I am not the sharpest of tools but how can the graph being showing VMG/TWS or is it a divided figure? We know INEOS sailed 500 m less which tells me anyway that their vmg was better?

2 minutes ago, dullers said:

Hello Old friend. I am not the sharpest of tools but how can the graph being showing VMG/TWS or is it a divided figure?

Korrekt

aka a raysheeo

not to be konfewzed with horaysheeo (az in hornblower) az sed by a Frentshy

Edited by snaerk
clarifikayshun
1 minute ago, snaerk said:

Korrekt

I edited it before you replied but i will copy the relevant bit...We know INEOS sailed 500 m less which tells me anyway that their vmg was better?

2 minutes ago, dullers said:

I edited it before you replied but i will copy the relevant bit...We know INEOS sailed 500 m less which tells me anyway that their vmg was better?

Unless thay takt and/or jybd less offen, praps dew to better shift picks at will (dew to beeing leeder)

How pressed is AM to make drastic changes prior to today when all 3 teams make the semi’s?   I’m sure they had a thorough debrief from yesterday’s ass kicking but they have time to make gradual adjustments. Not panic mode time. 

2 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Unless thay takt and/or jybd less offen, praps dew to better shift picks at will (dew to beeing leeder)

I know what you are saying but vmg is the true indicator of speed IMHO. If us Poms were sailing higher than our speed would be less so maybe we are really seeing a high mode boat v a low mode boat. Is low mode less speed and higher pointing or the other way round? I could google it i suppose.

5 minutes ago, snaerk said:

Yesterday’s results were very much a case of the better sailers making a difference.  Rita is competitive in those conditions and Ainslie and Co definitely sailed better than their competitors in terms of starts and picking sides etc.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, WetHog said:

How pressed is AM to make drastic changes prior to today when all 3 teams make the semi’s?   I’m sure they had a thorough debrief from yesterday’s ass kicking but they have time to make gradual adjustments. Not panic mode time. 

I think being forced to the left was 90% of their problems imho.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

I am not believing the TWS on Ineos reported by virtual eye.  Ineos always hide higher TWS even in the same water as AM so someones gauge is busted IMO. 

I tried to follow the vmg and speed only but they had the annoying habit of changing it all the time and having the read outs in different places for each boat. So it went VMG SOG  SOG VMG and my brain was dysfunctional at 2 in the morning.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

But that doesn't make sense, UK having more wind wouldn't help them win if they are still slower, UNLESS they get better VMG. And the only time they are near they seem to have. UK weren't tacking on headers they were tacking to protect RHS so must be better VMG

13 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

But that doesn't make sense, UK having more wind wouldn't help them win if they are still slower, UNLESS they get better VMG. And the only time they are near they seem to have. UK weren't tacking on headers they were tacking to protect RHS so must be better VMG

You can absolutely win with these boats if your the slower boat. These boats make speeds three times the wind speed. If boat A which is 5 % slower than boat B  is in 11 knots of wind they will make (3 *11) * .95 = 31.35 knots. If boat B which is the faster boat is in 10 knots they will have speed of  (3 * 10) = 30 knots

So boat A which is in 1 more knot of wind will be going 1.35 knots quicker than boat B 

playing the shifts in these boats are super critical, even more so than the older iacc boats of past 

2 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Don't jump to conclusions from this data: TWS and TWD are very unreliable, especially from INEOS. Their instruments add approx +1 kn to the wind reading seen on the buoys over the VirtualEye. Wind direction can be misleading, too.

By the way, does anyone have a photo of the wind instruments mounted on a buoy?

16 minutes ago, mako23 said:

You can absolutely win with these boats if your the slower boat. These boats make speeds three times the wind speed. If boat A which is 5 % slower than boat B  is in 11 knots of wind they will make (3 *11) * .95 = 31.35 knots. If boat B which is the faster boat is in 10 knots they will have speed of  (3 * 10) = 30 knots

So boat A which is in 1 more knot of wind will be going 1.35 knots quicker than boat B 

playing the shifts in these boats are super critical, even more so than the older iacc boats of past 

But alchy was suggesting that IK were slower on average despite having more wid. So that doesn't fit with your thesis.

Not slower on the same wind, but slower in the wind they had.

I'd also note that at the start it was 10-11 kts. And they visually pulled away after the first tack.

So if they are quicker in anything above 10kts it doesn't leave a very big window to lower limit, even assuming they are slower in that

The wind has picked up in South Auckland , don’t know how that translates into wind on the habour but it’s looking positive for a good days sailing 

• Like 1

One race is a pretty small sample size.

Rule 1 of winning regattas is “Trust your tuning.”   They have done hours of work and know exactly how the boat performed relative to the numbers.

The conclusions from Day 1:

Rita doesn’t suck anymore.  

Ineos tech team knows what it is doing and is very capable.

Sir Ben knows how to race sailboats.

SHC

• Like 6
4 hours ago, dullers said:

Not necessarily, wind shift can shorten you course dramatically.

• Like 1

I posted an analysis of the INEOS - AM race on the Boats and Foils thread. There was almost no difference in VMG between the two (VMG relative to TWA). INEOS just sailed better. But they did fix their boat so now they have about the same performance as the other challengers.

• Like 1