6 hours ago, dullers said:

I dont give a fuck if it rains or snows on you either.

Of course you dont. Seems like the only person you give a fuck about is you. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

Just re-watched the video of the crash,

Bullshit about the rudder 'sinking'.  It stalled yes, Barker said so, but it was skipping across the surface when the rest of the boat was in the air.  At no time did the transome touch the water before the crash.

It's not exactly a rumor when it's written in the rules that it will be done by 3pm on Wednesday 27 January.  No one is measuring in any earlier than they need to

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NSP said:

It's not exactly a rumor when it's written in the rules that it will be done by 3pm on Wednesday 27 January.  No one is measuring in any earlier than they need to

But it is rumoured that AM is ready to be measured  (remember the off they had?)

4 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

But it is rumoured that AM is ready to be measured  (remember the off they had?)

If they are not ready to be measured tomorrow then they wont be racing on friday. 

7 hours ago, Varan said:

I find servers in Canada work extremely well. Not much traffic and relatively low latency. Way better than the NZ and UK servers I tried.

It's due to the low temperature of the interweby lines.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, I14RACER said:

If American Magic wins they should switch to these boats. This is what I race for 8 weekends in the summer.

14005B96-1EAE-40A8-A9D9-8F18179DF481.jpeg

What they are doing there, polishing their pants?

From this book:

91rdNofkucL.jpg

8 hours ago, JJD said:

Oh dear.

Average age of death from covid in the UK is 82. Google is your friend. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j50w/question-time-2020-14052020    Go to Luke Johnston.  As of may 2020 350 people below 60 had died.  We lose 400 people a year to drowning. I dont know the numbers for below 60 now as information and facts are hard to come by. In 1969 we had a mayor flu outbreak that killed thousands more than is normal. If you want to hide away from life dont let me stop you but i am not interested in loosing my freedom to eak out a few more years on this earth.  

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt the Younger — Speech in the House of Commons (18 November, 1783).

• Like 3
  • Downvote 5
7 hours ago, mako23 said:

Swine Flu was a nasty flu and I had the displeasure of seeing my father die from it. Covid is a lot worse than swine flu. It is a pandemic that has taken two million lives. Your caviller attitude does these people an injustice. Of that two boats million there is 99,000 British dead. A death toll for the UK that only has been surpassed by the world wars.  There a lot of people suffering in England now and all you seem to be worried about is your fucken money. 

That fuken money pays for our welfare infrastructures. If we are broke we wont have them and many more will die long term. It is estimated that 26000 have died in the UK because of the lockdown. Cancer treatment is way down.  It is not just about the anecdotal experiences of you or me. I am not stopping you hiding away till it is over.  We are reaching a point where the lockdown will kill more.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, kenergy said:

Of course you dont. Seems like the only person you give a fuck about is you. 

Welcome to the west.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mako23 said:

duller's - remind him of those who died of cancer (men & women) in the UK Alone (in excess of 180K) Not a dicky bird about Male deaths from Prostate cancer, can't hear a damned think out of their lips for the women who died from Breast & ovarian cancer..... Yet a genetically engineered variant of a virus that untill this recent line of B.S. started & we get this crap....Fact - they cannot tell the difference between COVID /AVIAN / SWINE flu's on initial testing... Hell they can't even tell the difference between the common cold & covid.......

Don't play with your food mate - some of these troll's ain't worth it

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

There's definitely some genetic rearrangement gone on in the above members organs. 

Happy trails to the yanks if they relaunch in the morning.

Take the tinfoil to another forum, it works well in a microwave I hear. 

• Like 10
6 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Are you sure that's not the new caterpillar drive, from Red October?

Well, that's good news.  That means they are satisfied with the hull repair.  You don't take time to paint if you've got shit to do.  So, the obvious question is how the electrical systems and hydraulic controls are going.  I'm not so worried about the hydraulics themselves.

11 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Well, that's good news.  That means they are satisfied with the hull repair.  You don't take time to paint if you've got shit to do.  So, the obvious question is how the electrical systems and hydraulic controls are going.  I'm not so worried about the hydraulics themselves.

They said she had a heartbeat. I figured that had to either do with the electrical or hydraulic systems. Given that the hydraulics were in good shape. It should be a reference to the electrical systems status.

3 hours ago, Pertsa said:

What they are doing there, polishing their pants?

From this book:

91rdNofkucL.jpg

Keeping her heeled! I’ve read that book. Definitely gonna have to check it out.

Here’s a cool clip where we’re reaching in 20+ knots of breeze. Staying up was the way to win on this day.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Grrr... said:

Making it watertight is one thing, and once the hull is sealed you might as well get bodies thrown at the paint work to get ahead of things there whilst the boys inside are figuring out when they will get the structure out of Defiant to fit and work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, I14RACER said:

They said she had a heartbeat. I figured that had to either do with the electrical or hydraulic systems. Given that the hydraulics were in good shape. It should be a reference to the electrical systems status.

Usually a heartbeat on an industrial network refers to a regular update message so that the main controller knows all its peripherals are connected..  However, that may be reading too much into it.

1 minute ago, Chimp too said:

Making it watertight is one thing, and once the hull is sealed you might as well get bodies thrown at the paint work to get ahead of things there whilst the boys inside are figuring out when they will get the structure out of Defiant to fit and work.

As they say... If you can piss you can paint!

7 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Seems like the internal structure would have been done before the panel was attached.  They had everything they needed to repair the structure (assumedly) and had the time waiting for the frames to be shaped, then the panel laid, bagged, and cured at ETNZ.  I'm betting most of them are doing their normal jobs now.  The electrical workup is rarely the work of more than a handful of specialized people, while the mechanical guys sit around and debug when electrical finds a problem.  "XXX didn't move.  Replace this controller and valve."  "YYY is slow.  Check for binding." "ZZZ is running backwards, swap the fucking hoses" etc.

The mechanical portion of something like this is usually far more straightforward then the electrical gremlins that pop up.

11 minutes ago, Grrr... said:

Seems like the internal structure would have been done before the panel was attached.  They had everything they needed to repair the structure (assumedly) and had the time waiting for the frames to be shaped, then the panel laid, bagged, and cured at ETNZ.  I'm betting most of them are doing their normal jobs now.  T

I struggle to believe that a boat that takes 80,000 man hours to build can be rebuilt so easily and quickly, particularly to the exacting standards required. If it can then why did it take so long the first time around?!

I hope that I am wrong.

I struggle to believe that a boat that takes 80,000 man hours to build can be rebuilt so easily and quickly, particularly to the exacting standards required. If it can then why did it take so long the first time around?!

I hope that I am wrong.

Apart from anything else, 2nd time around you know what to do, because you have already done it.

But also they won't be worrying about the last micron of finish, or gram of weight.

And they are only really redoing a small part (no sails, rig, foils, rudder, only 10% of hull etc )

1 minute ago, enigmatically2 said:

Apart from anything else, 2nd time around you know what to do, because you have already done it

Building components and assembling in the processes established over months of preparation is rather different than scarfing in new bits to the first bit of good structure you can find. Done a good number of significant composite repairs, and overseen many more. It ain't that simple.

Building components and assembling in the processes established over months of preparation is rather different than scarfing in new bits to the first bit of good structure you can find. Done a good number of significant composite repairs, and overseen many more. It ain't that simple.

OK, well if they are ready for the semis, then I am right, and if not, you are

16 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

I hope that I am wrong.

Just for a rough, conservative calculation: If there were 40 people working on the repair for 10 hrs/day over the course of 5 days, that's 2,000 man hours.  It's also 2.5% of the mentioned 80,000 original build time.  I'd bet there were more people and longer hours than that, so it doesn't seems unreasonable to me.

24 minutes ago, shoeby11 said:

Just for a rough, conservative calculation: If there were 40 people working on the repair for 10 hrs/day over the course of 5 days, that's 2,000 man hours.  It's also 2.5% of the mentioned 80,000 original build time.  I'd bet there were more people and longer hours than that, so it doesn't seems unreasonable to me.

That makes a lot of sense. Also keep in mind there are some extremely detail oriented people working on that boat, just guessing they have every hose and wire harness noted from the first build, plus whatever changes.  Makes sense to think that their systems and software for organzing probably still have Penske letterhead on them!

10 hours ago, Barnyb said:
The renewal of PATRIOT reaches an important stage as the tenting for the painting process goes up around the AC75. Any color you want... as long as its AwlGrip HDT ultra-high performance finish in Flag Blue!

140938881_823826234840837_2945865977096943475_o.jpg

I would love it if they painted a big band-aide on it LOL

• Like 6
9 hours ago, waterboy42 said:

Apparently, these were really cheap, easy to build and offered great ease of entry for new teams into the Cup environment at the time....

The AC has never been about egalitarian participation.. It is a brute force, dramatic clash of massive ego's, budgets, technology, sailors and lawyers and George Schuyler's Deed of Gift has spit roasted any Billionaires attempt's to subvert it to another purpose.

There are plenty of other fair but dull regattas around the world for people to watch (that don't), but we are all entranced by it because it is a horse that can never be tamed and long may that continue.

I agree, all it nees are two boats, a course free of headlands... blah, blah, blah.

But the challengers usually tell the world "Once we'll hold the Cup, we will implement cost saving measures, have a low entry level, want to attract as many challengers as possible... And we will do everything to make it a commercial success."

After they hold the Cup, it's the most expensive regatta that's ever been. Haha.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Chimp too said:

I hope that I am wrong.

The 80,000 man-hours number was including design work iirc

2 hours ago, Chimp too said:

Will MA be heavier on one side after repairs?  What might that do to foil control?  (If anything....)

5 hours ago, Piet56 said:

Hell they can't even tell the difference between the common cold & covid.......

Yes they can, they can even tell the difference between the thousands of variants of each, there are 3 dominant strains (original, UK and SA) of COVID right now each with multiple sub strains, categorising viruses has been something we've be able to do for decades. Hell in 2009 an American university sequenced the then 100 dominate strains of the common cold that year. Theres never been a vaccine for the common cold for economic reasons (you'd have to revaccinate in 6 months time) not for technological reasons.

• Like 3
Just now, enigmatically2 said:

It is Wednesday. Whether that is today at this point in time depends upon your location, and in some cases your state of mind

It is wednesday (in new zealand) my dudes.

• Like 1

@dullers   wrote . . I agree, I am being blamed for slavery, The British Empire, gender issues and being nasty to the environment. I have no idea where I am going to get the time to sort this out. My Great Grandfather...what a bastard!  

If you benefit from crimes committed by your family and/or your country, you have an ethical obligation to ameliorate that injustice . . 

but I get that the Reich does not grasp this . .  

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3
2 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

@dullers   wrote . . I agree, I am being blamed for slavery, The British Empire, gender issues and being nasty to the environment. I have no idea where I am going to get the time to sort this out. My Great Grandfather...what a bastard!  

If you benefit from crimes committed by your family and/or your country, you have an ethical obligation to ameliorate that injustice . . 

but I get that the Reich does not grasp this . .  

No I dont.

1 hour ago, enigmatically2 said:

It is Wednesday. Whether that is today at this point in time depends upon your location, and in some cases your state of mind

Wednesday is today. State of mind is irrelevant and the only location that matters is Auckland NZ. 

37 minutes ago, dullers said:

No I dont.

You also don't get the concept of trying to make the world better. You just want to feed at the trough until there is nothing left. 

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

You also don't get the concept of trying to make the world better. You just want to feed at the trough until there is nothing left. 

Are you by chance having a good virtue signalling fetish?

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

A corollary of "Blame gramps, not me !!" is . . 

"Screw you, I've got mine !!" 

• Like 2

FFS guys....can we put the shitfight on hold for a while? I keep refreshing this page hoping that there are some good spy photos getting posted...but NOOOOOOOOOO...its a bunch of dudes wanging about crapping on each other 'bout stuff OTHER than sailing. CUT THE NONSENSE! 

:)

• Like 14

"The inside of the boat shed has been covered in messages of support from friends, family and fans around the world.

The shore, production, design and sailing teams for American Magic, the U.S. Challenger for the America's Cup, are working 24 hours a day to get PATRIOT ready for the Prada Cup Semifinals, which start on January 29. The American AC75 sustained severe damage and a near-sinking during and after her Round Robin race on Sunday, January 17." (AM)

142415637_823826271507500_8489113798664886194_o.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

Measure and hopefully a tow test today, IMO

I don't think they can afford to restrict themselves to a tow test today. They need to sail.

37 minutes ago, Vin said:

FFS guys....can we put the shitfight on hold for a while? I keep refreshing this page hoping that there are some good spy photos getting posted...but NOOOOOOOOOO...its a bunch of dudes wanging about crapping on each other 'bout stuff OTHER than sailing. CUT THE NONSENSE! 

:)

First time here?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

First time here?

No...but I feel compelled to yell once every 20 pages or so. 

• Like 9
9 hours ago, dullers said:

That fuken money pays for our welfare infrastructures. If we are broke we wont have them and many more will die long term. It is estimated that 26000 have died in the UK because of the lockdown. Cancer treatment is way down.  It is not just about the anecdotal experiences of you or me. I am not stopping you hiding away till it is over.  We are reaching a point where the lockdown will kill more.

I hate to talk COVID on a sailing site, but in the UK in the first week of January there were 18,000 deaths. Usually there are about 12,000. Those extra 6,000 deaths in a single week are nearly all attributable to COVID, not boredom.  Cancer deaths will inevitably rise at some point due to missed appointments but that time bomb hasn’t struck yet. 

3 hours ago, crashtack said:

The 80,000 man-hours number was including design work iirc

Surely more than that to design, analyse, develop and build an AC75? Simulation alone could burn that. 

• Like 1

Have been very critical of the ownership of this team, but am so glad for the team members that they are going to get another shot.  Having a campaign end on such a hair trigger move that led to catastrophe would be gutting. Go get em!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RMac said:

Have been very critical of the ownership of this team, but am so glad for the team members that they are going to get another shot.  Having a campaign end on such a hair trigger move that led to catastrophe would be gutting. Go get em!

I don't know, if they go down without winning a race despite getting the boat back on the water, there will be a few secretly wishing they hadn't made it so it could be seen to be their fault...

22 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

I hate to talk COVID on a sailing site, but in the UK in the first week of January there were 18,000 deaths. Usually there are about 12,000. Those extra 6,000 deaths in a single week are nearly all attributable to COVID, not boredom.  Cancer deaths will inevitably rise at some point due to missed appointments but that time bomb hasn’t struck yet

Ugh! I'm going to regret responding I'm sure but there needs to be a more informed opinion here.

In the US, a 1% increase in unemployment results in an extra 40,000 deaths. This study has likewise been performed with similar results in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ etc.

For the US this will easily mean another 400,000 dead. 

You can argue about the merit of lockdown but you need to do so with some more information than you currently seem to have.

• Like 5
  • Downvote 1

My two cents on the choice of boat, and I like fast boats as much as the next guy.

Think about the difference between car racing and pretty much any team sport - any version of football for example.

In car racing you watch an object competing with other objects.  The only team aspect is the pit stop.

In any team sport you watch all the team members doing choreographed things together so the team can win.

In the olden days AC races looked a lot more like a team sport - spinnaker sets, douses, gybes, tacks - all that stuff is choreographed like a play in American football.  There is just a lot of stuff going on.

I love the speed of the boats, but watching eight guys pump up hydro fluid while one guy drives is kind of boring.  Personally I'd eliminate the use of stored power and put them in 100 foot maxis with symmetrical spinnakers.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Ugh! I'm going to regret responding I'm sure but there needs to be a more informed opinion here.

In the US, a 1% increase in unemployment results in an extra 40,000 deaths. This study has likewise been performed with similar results in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ etc.

For the US this will easily mean another 400,000 dead. 

Sigh. 2 words. Health system

2 more words. Lockdown = AC (happening) 

Wonder if they have been measured already while in the shed to have a full day out

9 minutes ago, TodB said:

In the olden days AC races looked a lot more like a team sport - spinnaker sets, douses, gybes, tacks - all that stuff is choreographed like a play in American football.  There is just a lot of stuff going on.

I love the speed of the boats, but watching eight guys pump up hydro fluid while one guy drives is kind of boring.

I agree, the team aspect is huge part of my personal enjoyment of sailing, and why I've gravitated toward keelboats and scows instead of small dinghies. There's still a huge team component to these boats (even the grinders), but it's not very visible.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dent said:

I would love it if they painted a big band-aide on it LOL

Wow! You are psychic. Not just one but two!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

So the direction is good? 

Yes, the mast is still above water even.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dullers said:

Average age of death from covid in the UK is 82. Google is your friend. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j50w/question-time-2020-14052020    Go to Luke Johnston.  As of may 2020 350 people below 60 had died.  We lose 400 people a year to drowning. I dont know the numbers for below 60 now as information and facts are hard to come by. In 1969 we had a mayor flu outbreak that killed thousands more than is normal. If you want to hide away from life dont let me stop you but i am not interested in loosing my freedom to eak out a few more years on this earth.  

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt the Younger — Speech in the House of Commons (18 November, 1783).

As long as you promise to go curl up in your basement and die if you get sick and not be a burden on the healthcare system.  You can't claim to be a tough guy if you need to keep running back crying for help from the same people your ridicule.

Better yet, cut the taxpayer costs by volunteering to carry bodybags out of the nearest hospital.  Come on, man up.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, arr4ws said:

4E8031B5-A210-4785-861B-FBDBE8FAEA57.jpeg

The Yankee Doodles want to go back to the old lead mines of yesteryear. Which is totally their right if they win. For this reason I hope they don’t win. However it’s hard to hate these guys. Their behaviour on and off the course is being good. T.H on the media comes across likeable and the painted bandage was a classy response. 

• Like 9