Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

Have been very critical of the ownership of this team, but am so glad for the team members that they are going to get another shot.  Having a campaign end on such a hair trigger move that led to catastrophe would be gutting. Go get em!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RMac said:

Have been very critical of the ownership of this team, but am so glad for the team members that they are going to get another shot.  Having a campaign end on such a hair trigger move that led to catastrophe would be gutting. Go get em!

I don't know, if they go down without winning a race despite getting the boat back on the water, there will be a few secretly wishing they hadn't made it so it could be seen to be their fault...

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sosoomii said:

I hate to talk COVID on a sailing site, but in the UK in the first week of January there were 18,000 deaths. Usually there are about 12,000. Those extra 6,000 deaths in a single week are nearly all attributable to COVID, not boredom.  Cancer deaths will inevitably rise at some point due to missed appointments but that time bomb hasn’t struck yet

Ugh! I'm going to regret responding I'm sure but there needs to be a more informed opinion here.

In the US, a 1% increase in unemployment results in an extra 40,000 deaths. This study has likewise been performed with similar results in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ etc.

For the US this will easily mean another 400,000 dead. 

You can argue about the merit of lockdown but you need to do so with some more information than you currently seem to have.

  • Like 5
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents on the choice of boat, and I like fast boats as much as the next guy.

Think about the difference between car racing and pretty much any team sport - any version of football for example.

In car racing you watch an object competing with other objects.  The only team aspect is the pit stop.

In any team sport you watch all the team members doing choreographed things together so the team can win.

In the olden days AC races looked a lot more like a team sport - spinnaker sets, douses, gybes, tacks - all that stuff is choreographed like a play in American football.  There is just a lot of stuff going on.

I love the speed of the boats, but watching eight guys pump up hydro fluid while one guy drives is kind of boring.  Personally I'd eliminate the use of stored power and put them in 100 foot maxis with symmetrical spinnakers.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jaysper said:

Ugh! I'm going to regret responding I'm sure but there needs to be a more informed opinion here.

In the US, a 1% increase in unemployment results in an extra 40,000 deaths. This study has likewise been performed with similar results in Canada, UK, Australia, NZ etc.

For the US this will easily mean another 400,000 dead. 

Sigh. 2 words. Health system

2 more words. Lockdown = AC (happening) 

Wonder if they have been measured already while in the shed to have a full day out

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TodB said:

In the olden days AC races looked a lot more like a team sport - spinnaker sets, douses, gybes, tacks - all that stuff is choreographed like a play in American football.  There is just a lot of stuff going on.

I love the speed of the boats, but watching eight guys pump up hydro fluid while one guy drives is kind of boring.

I agree, the team aspect is huge part of my personal enjoyment of sailing, and why I've gravitated toward keelboats and scows instead of small dinghies. There's still a huge team component to these boats (even the grinders), but it's not very visible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dent said:

I would love it if they painted a big band-aide on it LOL

 

Wow! You are psychic. Not just one but two!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dullers said:

Average age of death from covid in the UK is 82. Google is your friend. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000j50w/question-time-2020-14052020    Go to Luke Johnston.  As of may 2020 350 people below 60 had died.  We lose 400 people a year to drowning. I dont know the numbers for below 60 now as information and facts are hard to come by. In 1969 we had a mayor flu outbreak that killed thousands more than is normal. If you want to hide away from life dont let me stop you but i am not interested in loosing my freedom to eak out a few more years on this earth.  

“Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt the Younger — Speech in the House of Commons (18 November, 1783).

As long as you promise to go curl up in your basement and die if you get sick and not be a burden on the healthcare system.  You can't claim to be a tough guy if you need to keep running back crying for help from the same people your ridicule.

Better yet, cut the taxpayer costs by volunteering to carry bodybags out of the nearest hospital.  Come on, man up.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arr4ws said:

4E8031B5-A210-4785-861B-FBDBE8FAEA57.jpeg

The Yankee Doodles want to go back to the old lead mines of yesteryear. Which is totally their right if they win. For this reason I hope they don’t win. However it’s hard to hate these guys. Their behaviour on and off the course is being good. T.H on the media comes across likeable and the painted bandage was a classy response. 

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

As long as you promise to go curl up in your basement and die if you get sick and not be a burden on the healthcare system.  You can't claim to be a tough guy if you need to keep running back crying for help from the same people your ridicule.

Better yet, cut the taxpayer costs by volunteering to carry bodybags out of the nearest hospital.  Come on, man up.

Even America the Bastion of capitalism is providing care for their COVID patients and providing financial support to those who have lost their jobs. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

As long as you promise to go curl up in your basement and die if you get sick and not be a burden on the healthcare system.  You can't claim to be a tough guy if you need to keep running back crying for help from the same people your ridicule.

Better yet, cut the taxpayer costs by volunteering to carry bodybags out of the nearest hospital.  Come on, man up.

I pay my taxes. We have health care even for people with different views.  Who was I ridiculing?  I am all ears. I disagree on the lock down.  You don't but I wish you no harm either way.  I am always amazed you would wish others harm even if you disagree.

PS you have the nicest looking boat. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arr4ws said:

4E8031B5-A210-4785-861B-FBDBE8FAEA57.jpeg

I love that!  A sense of humor combined with a sincere thank you. It makes me even happier to be an AM fan!

edit:  Just to clarify, after years of Oracle, it’s awesome to have a likable team again!  

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

 

 [Insert two minutes of uncontrolled cackling]

 

Pause to listen to the national pump-up anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPoDNEn3I0


[Insert two more minutes of uncontrolled cackling]
 

Everybody who got bent out of shape about the hulls skin failing can go eat a square foot of that same laminate. 

 

ps. -unrelated- Seems to me that 90% of the dean-bashing comes from kiwis. I don't think anyone did anything wrong and this regatta is very obviously not over. If anything, it's now an even game and the brits have thankfully found their modes.

 

LETS GO!

DRC
 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TodB said:

Lifelines on the foredeck?  Don’t think I’ve seen them before.

 

Geez we have covered this ad infinitum many times over the previous months.

2 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

H&S Requirement for all teams, part of the class rule and NZ law. 

Correct and only fitted when the boat is out of the water and either on a stand or under crane.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m loving the new spads on the foil arms. I can just imagine the conversation....

GD:  We’ll offer whatever help you need from our builders to get back out there. 
TH:  Cool. Have ‘em knock out a set of the same foil arm fairings you guys are running. 
GD:  That’s not what I meant. 
TH:  Thanks buddy!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do. 

You don’t race much, do you?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mako23 said:

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do.  

Last incident? I'd have thought he might be a bit gun shy after the last decade or so of his America's cup career.

Sorry low blow I think he is a decent guy and top sailor - its been a sterling effort to get back on the water but I'm rooting for Goody to take the helm.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daniel Holman said:

Last incident? I'd have thought he might be a bit gun shy after the last decade or so of his America's cup career.

Sorry low blow I think he is a decent guy and top sailor - its been a sterling effort to get back on the water but I'm rooting for Goody to take the helm.

 

 

Some of you Kiwis are heartless cunts. The guy was given inferior boats, yet turned in respectable results. What else can you ask for?

  • Like 8
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Some of you Kiwis are heartless cunts. The guy was given inferior boats, yet turned in respectable results. What else can you ask for?

I'm a british heartless c£$t hence my nationalistic self interest - but agree he gets a lot of underserved shit, and carries himself well despite it. Hats off to the guy for coming back after 2013, many wouldn't.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Just marveling at your victimhood. Everything is a threat to you assholes. Even trying to be nice. 

If you could quote your niceness I will partake of some. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Just marveling at your victimhood. Everything is a threat to you assholes. Even trying to be nice. 

He’s just a little cranky because the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and the Swiss aren’t nice enough to share the Cup with his silly little island. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I wonder if they will keep that on for the racing :-D

On a broadcast with Ken Read and Shirley Robertson just now they said the band-aids and the gloves will come off for racing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danstanford said:

On a broadcast with Ken Read and Shirley Robertson just now they said the band-aids and the gloves will come off for racing.

That’s a bummer. It doesn’t harm their sponsors in any way, and only makes them more friendly to every foreign fan. I hope they decide to keep it. I mostly want them to keep it because us American fans appreciated all the help in stopping our boat from sinking!!!!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mako23 said:

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do. 

Give him a pint and a dodgy petrol station pie, and send him on out. He'll be fine...

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Monkey said:

That’s a bummer. It doesn’t harm their sponsors in any way, and only makes them more friendly to every foreign fan. I hope they decide to keep it. I mostly want them to keep it because us American fans appreciated all the help in stopping our boat from sinking!!!!

probably vinyl stickers

if they don't take them off, they will come off anyway

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I’m loving the new spads on the foil arms. I can just imagine the conversation....

GD:  We’ll offer whatever help you need from our builders to get back out there. 
TH:  Cool. Have ‘em knock out a set of the same foil arm fairings you guys are running. 
GD:  That’s not what I meant. 
TH:  Thanks buddy!

Look slike they may have only had time to knock out one :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dullers said:

I pay my taxes. We have health care even for people with different views.  Who was I ridiculing?  I am all ears. I disagree on the lock down.  You don't but I wish you no harm either way.  I am always amazed you would wish others harm even if you disagree.

PS you have the nicest looking boat. 

thanks, it is a nice looking boat.  

I was not wishing you harm, just pointed out that if you take greater risks than you need to be responsible for the outcome and not expect those that follow the rules to be responsible for your actions.  He in the US we still have people thinking Covid is fake while they are in the hospital taking their dying breath.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

:D

The reflections in that photo actually are pretty stunning, helluva shot. 

You're right, absolutely gorgeous!

The foil and arm actually looks like its painted on at first glance.

Good on AM for showing appreciation in such an obvious and humorous fashion.

Shows great character.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites