• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

Yes, I'm pretty sure nearly sending her to the bottom was right on script... 8)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, arr4ws said:

4E8031B5-A210-4785-861B-FBDBE8FAEA57.jpeg

I love that!  A sense of humor combined with a sincere thank you. It makes me even happier to be an AM fan!

edit:  Just to clarify, after years of Oracle, it’s awesome to have a likable team again!  

• Like 12
13 minutes ago, Barnyb said:

[Insert two minutes of uncontrolled cackling]

Pause to listen to the national pump-up anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPoDNEn3I0

[Insert two more minutes of uncontrolled cackling]

Everybody who got bent out of shape about the hulls skin failing can go eat a square foot of that same laminate. 

ps. -unrelated- Seems to me that 90% of the dean-bashing comes from kiwis. I don't think anyone did anything wrong and this regatta is very obviously not over. If anything, it's now an even game and the brits have thankfully found their modes.

LETS GO!

DRC

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, TodB said:

Lifelines on the foredeck?  Don’t think I’ve seen them before.

Geez we have covered this ad infinitum many times over the previous months.

2 minutes ago, WakaNZ said:

H&S Requirement for all teams, part of the class rule and NZ law. 

Correct and only fitted when the boat is out of the water and either on a stand or under crane.

I’m loving the new spads on the foil arms. I can just imagine the conversation....

GD:  We’ll offer whatever help you need from our builders to get back out there. 
TH:  Cool. Have ‘em knock out a set of the same foil arm fairings you guys are running. 
GD:  That’s not what I meant. 
TH:  Thanks buddy!

• Like 4

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mako23 said:

This damage to American Magic might be psychological. Dean Barker might be a little gun shy after the last incident. He needs to still trust the boat and race it to the maximum. Easy to say but not so easy to do. 

You don’t race much, do you?  

Just now, mako23 said:

Last incident? I'd have thought he might be a bit gun shy after the last decade or so of his America's cup career.

Sorry low blow I think he is a decent guy and top sailor - its been a sterling effort to get back on the water but I'm rooting for Goody to take the helm.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Daniel Holman said:

Last incident? I'd have thought he might be a bit gun shy after the last decade or so of his America's cup career.

Sorry low blow I think he is a decent guy and top sailor - its been a sterling effort to get back on the water but I'm rooting for Goody to take the helm.

Some of you Kiwis are heartless cunts. The guy was given inferior boats, yet turned in respectable results. What else can you ask for?

• Like 8
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, dullers said:

Are you by chance having a good virtue signalling fetish?

Just marveling at your victimhood. Everything is a threat to you assholes. Even trying to be nice. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Some of you Kiwis are heartless cunts. The guy was given inferior boats, yet turned in respectable results. What else can you ask for?

I'm a british heartless c£$t hence my nationalistic self interest - but agree he gets a lot of underserved shit, and carries himself well despite it. Hats off to the guy for coming back after 2013, many wouldn't.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Just marveling at your victimhood. Everything is a threat to you assholes. Even trying to be nice. 

If you could quote your niceness I will partake of some. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

He’s just a little cranky because the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and the Swiss aren’t nice enough to share the Cup with his silly little island. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I wonder if they will keep that on for the racing :-D

On a broadcast with Ken Read and Shirley Robertson just now they said the band-aids and the gloves will come off for racing.

3 minutes ago, danstanford said:

On a broadcast with Ken Read and Shirley Robertson just now they said the band-aids and the gloves will come off for racing.

Damn where is this broadcasted? 

3 minutes ago, danstanford said:

That’s a bummer. It doesn’t harm their sponsors in any way, and only makes them more friendly to every foreign fan. I hope they decide to keep it. I mostly want them to keep it because us American fans appreciated all the help in stopping our boat from sinking!!!!

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Give him a pint and a dodgy petrol station pie, and send him on out. He'll be fine...

20 minutes ago, Monkey said:

That’s a bummer. It doesn’t harm their sponsors in any way, and only makes them more friendly to every foreign fan. I hope they decide to keep it. I mostly want them to keep it because us American fans appreciated all the help in stopping our boat from sinking!!!!

probably vinyl stickers

if they don't take them off, they will come off anyway

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

I’m loving the new spads on the foil arms. I can just imagine the conversation....

GD:  We’ll offer whatever help you need from our builders to get back out there. 
TH:  Cool. Have ‘em knock out a set of the same foil arm fairings you guys are running. 
GD:  That’s not what I meant. 
TH:  Thanks buddy!

Look slike they may have only had time to knock out one :-)

2 hours ago, dullers said:

I pay my taxes. We have health care even for people with different views.  Who was I ridiculing?  I am all ears. I disagree on the lock down.  You don't but I wish you no harm either way.  I am always amazed you would wish others harm even if you disagree.

PS you have the nicest looking boat. 

thanks, it is a nice looking boat.  

I was not wishing you harm, just pointed out that if you take greater risks than you need to be responsible for the outcome and not expect those that follow the rules to be responsible for your actions.  He in the US we still have people thinking Covid is fake while they are in the hospital taking their dying breath.

1 minute ago, zillafreak said:

I think I see a patch. Or maybe its just a reflection.. :D

It's the deflection from the batteries. I'm not certified to add the yellow lines that prove that though.

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

:D

The reflections in that photo actually are pretty stunning, helluva shot. 

You're right, absolutely gorgeous!

The foil and arm actually looks like its painted on at first glance.

Good on AM for showing appreciation in such an obvious and humorous fashion.

Shows great character.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

:D

The reflections in that photo actually are pretty stunning, helluva shot. 

Regardless of who wins this Cup, I hope that photo lives on as a lesson to the future billionaires who get involved. I’m pretty sure all the teams jumped in to help without approval from their sugar daddies, which is awesome. Hopefully all the folks paying for this realize that the PR generated by selflessly aiding your competitor against your own best interest in the name of sportsmanship is priceless. 

This is just a weird, feel good moment for the Cup. In all honesty, it kind of needed one lately. 

• Like 19
6 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Regardless of who wins this Cup, I hope that photo lives on as a lesson to the future billionaires who get involved. I’m pretty sure all the teams jumped in to help without approval from their sugar daddies, which is awesome. Hopefully all the folks paying for this realize that the PR generated by selflessly aiding your competitor against your own best interest in the name of sportsmanship is priceless. 

This is just a weird, feel good moment for the Cup. In all honesty, it kind of needed one lately. 

Such lessons transcend sport...I know it affected my 12 year old. He was particularly struck by the pics / video of Burling helping out (a guy he met in Newport at the last VOR stopover). Literally their rivals in every sense of the word. Ken Read mentioned the “sailors code”. It I was this in spades. That is the beauty of sport (well...sometimes). 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Vin said:

Such lessons transcend sport...I know it affected my 12 year old. He was particularly struck by the pics / video of Burling helping out (a guy he met in Newport at the last VOR stopover). Literally their rivals in every sense of the word. Ken Read mentioned the “sailors code”. It I was this in spades. That is the beauty of sport (well...sometimes). 

What I love is that the worst tends to expose the best in our sport. There are always going to be legal messes and endless shitfights in the America’s Cup. However, this was a perfect example of how the actual sailors and support crews feel. I had the same warm and fuzzy feeling last cycle when Ben was on the radio asking permission to let their support boat jump in to help ETNZ. AM just happened to figure out a hilarious way to show gratitude, and probably score a PR win for every team at once, while somehow making themselves the lovable underdog. It’s just a fun day. 

• Like 10
10 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_5387.JPG

DSC_5393.JPG

DSC_5395.JPG

Thanks for the pics. Were you able to see if NZ &/or AM were able to take-off without help?

1 hour ago, 33jesus said:

Any idea if that’s the same main from the capsize? Clearly a different jib. 

Flexseal model jib.  Just in case....

Great show of sportsmanship all around.  Good look for the sport.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zillafreak said:

I think I see a patch.

If you look on the topside, between the band aids and the foil, you can see another ... ummm ... discontinuity.

Won't make sod all difference once it's in the air, of course.

Good on them. A week(ish)to repair and hit the water again was a good effort.

4 hours ago, Monkey said:

Welcome to NZ - Home of the "Tall Poppy Syndrome"......

DB was the chosen one, anointed by RC himself in that last race before he ( a large core) shot the gap to Ainghi and the 1st DB era campaign hit the sea floor rightly or wrongly he was held accountable for the design flaws / failures... rig breakages..... and all the rest of the crap.

DB is an intensely private guy, he was painfully shy back when he was on the RNZYS YTS sp roll round into SFO he gets absolutely crucified as has been documented here and elsewhere.

NZ by and large doesn't forgive nor tolerate failure by their National sporting teams and hero's - end of story, in a country that has had it's own issues early on, part of the British Commonwealth, it's parliamentary system/ Justice system / even the Health system FFS were completely modeled after the UK's. From a population of approx 4.9 million (NYC metro has (or had) approx 19m.....

Punched above it's weight in Sport world war's and conflict's, in general, make a true friendship with a Kiwi you have someone who has your back to hell's reception area....

So what can you ask for as a Kiwi? To win... He's not the only Kiwi held in a bad light from sporting failures

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

NZ by and large doesn't forgive nor tolerate failure by their National sporting teams and hero's - end of story,

Utter tripe your comments may have held some weight many moons ago but look at the recent Rugby World Cup loss life went on we are more pragmatic than your narrow perspective paints.

If the Poisoned Chalice leaves for foreign shores hey it is what it is there are more pressing national issues that urgently require our focus and attention.

8 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

Welcome to NZ - Home of the "Tall Poppy Syndrome"......

DB was the chosen one, anointed by RC himself in that last race before he ( a large core) shot the gap to Ainghi and the 1st DB era campaign hit the sea floor rightly or wrongly he was held accountable for the design flaws / failures... rig breakages..... and all the rest of the crap.

DB is an intensely private guy, he was painfully shy back when he was on the RNZYS YTS sp roll round into SFO he gets absolutely crucified as has been documented here and elsewhere.

NZ by and large doesn't forgive nor tolerate failure by their National sporting teams and hero's - end of story, in a country that has had it's own issues early on, part of the British Commonwealth, it's parliamentary system/ Justice system / even the Health system FFS were completely modeled after the UK's. From a population of approx 4.9 million (NYC metro has (or had) approx 19m.....

Punched above it's weight in Sport world war's and conflict's, in general, make a true friendship with a Kiwi you have someone who has your back to hell's reception area....

So what can you ask for as a Kiwi? To win... He's not the only Kiwi held in a bad light from sporting failures

Until you redeem yourself

See Beaver as an example. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Monkey said:

The guy was skipper. As skipper he calls the shots. He makes the decisions not only on the boat, but also every decision that leads up to designing and building that boat. As the guy who makes the decisions, you should be held accountable for those decisions. 

In the video "Black Magic - The Team NZ story" Blakey summed it up. "The skipper had to be involved in all the key decisions to do with the boat, and the trial program, and the sail program everything else, he had to know all about it, it had to be his".

The 95 program no doubt had Russell Coutts fingerprints all over it - and he got the results.

Glenn Ashby did the same in Bermuda. As stated in the "The birth of foiling" video, clearly Ashby wanted the team to go in a certain direction, he wanted the team to implement the bike system, but also needed his team to keep it under wraps and he also wanted the team to have a new look and a new feel to it, hence the hiring of a new generation of Olympic sailors like Pete and Blair and also Andy Maloney and Josh Junior.

Much of what we saw in 95, 2000 and 2017 was down to the skipper making decisions and backing himself in his calls. 

Barker never took on that decision making. If he did, either he made the wrong decisions, in 3 campaigns and rightly so, was relieved of those duties, or no one listened to him, or

he left those decisions up to someone else because he wasn't comfortable making those decisions.

Either way, the skipper has a responsibility, and expectation. If you fail to live up to those things, you also need to be held accountable.

Taine Randell is a good example of an All Black captain who is probably seen as one of the biggest failures of the Black jersey in generations. He has faded into obscurity.

As the Mandalorian so famously put it... "This is the way"

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Piet56 said:

NZers either want them to win, or sacrifice themsleves for the Team.

DB was asked to do the latter after 2013 and refused.

Ray Davies was also asked the same and obliged, he is no longer on the boat, but is instrumental in the teams success, and shares in the spoils.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Barnyb said:

I wonder if they have secured the battery?  :)

The whining Italians will most likely protest it as against the Class Rules - the band aids, that is.

1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Utter tripe your comments may have held some weight many moons ago but look at the recent Rugby World Cup loss life went on we are more pragmatic than your narrow perspective paints.

Don't change Priscilla..... don't ever change

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Indio said:

The whining Italians will most likely protest it as against the Class Rules - the band aids, that is.

performance enhancement.....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Forourselves said:

The guy was skipper. As skipper he calls the shots. He makes the decisions not only on the boat, but also every decision that leads up to designing and building that boat. As the guy who makes the decisions, you should be held accountable for those decisions. 

In the video "Black Magic - The Team NZ story" Blakey summed it up. "The skipper had to be involved in all the key decisions to do with the boat, and the trial program, and the sail program everything else, he had to know all about it, it had to be his".

The 95 program no doubt had Russell Coutts fingerprints all over it - and he got the results.

Glenn Ashby did the same in Bermuda. As stated in the "The birth of foiling" video, clearly Ashby wanted the team to go in a certain direction, he wanted the team to implement the bike system, but also needed his team to keep it under wraps and he also wanted the team to have a new look and a new feel to it, hence the hiring of a new generation of Olympic sailors like Pete and Blair and also Andy Maloney and Josh Junior.

Much of what we saw in 95, 2000 and 2017 was down to the skipper making decisions and backing himself in his calls. 

Barker never took on that decision making. If he did, either he made the wrong decisions, in 3 campaigns and rightly so, was relieved of those duties, or no one listened to him, or

he left those decisions up to someone else because he wasn't comfortable making those decisions.

Either way, the skipper has a responsibility, and expectation. If you fail to live up to those things, you also need to be held accountable.

Taine Randell is a good example of an All Black captain who is probably seen as one of the biggest failures of the Black jersey in generations. He has faded into obscurity.

As the Mandalorian so famously put it... "This is the way"

After San Francisco, there was a big internal review of ETNZ. Nothing escaped scrutiny. Glenn's leadership was one of the few positives that came from that review and it became pretty essential that everybody going forward needed to be multi-dimensional. You couldn't just be a sailor. You had to have something else to contribute. Whilst that review was being finalised there were questions being raised about how much new blood/talent should come into the team. Burling & Tuke as 2012 Silver medallists were an obvious set of candidates, but the question was whether they gamble with youth over experience. 

Enter the 2015 Moth Worlds in Melbourne. The only world class foiling event outside the America's Cup at the time besides the C Class catamaran. Outteridge, Jensen, Bruni, Chris Draper and a few potential AC candidates like Tom Slingsby joined Burling, Tuke, Davies, Ashby & Barker to see who could get bragging rights going into the next AC cycle. The rest is history. Burling smashed everybody. Outteridge was second, but everybody else in the AC world beat Barker. Even Ray Davies and Glenn Ashby who had been sailing Moths for less than 6 weeks. From the end of that regatta, he knew he was cooked at ETNZ.

Two months later he was crying to the country on national radio claiming he'd been sacked.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

After San Francisco, there was a big internal review of ETNZ. Nothing escaped scrutiny. Glenn's leadership was one of the few positives that came from that review and it became pretty essential that everybody going forward needed to be multi-dimensional. You couldn't just be a sailor. You had to have something else to contribute. Whilst that review was being finalised there were questions being raised about how much new blood/talent should come into the team. Burling & Tuke as 2012 Silver medallists were an obvious set of candidates, but the question was whether they gamble with youth over experience. 

Enter the 2015 Moth Worlds in Melbourne. The only world class foiling event outside the America's Cup. Outteridge, Jensen, Bruni, Chris Draper and a few potential AC candidates like Tom Slingsby joined Burling, Tuke, Davies, Ashby & Barker to see who could get bragging rights going into the next AC cycle. The rest is history. Burling smashed everybody. Outteridge was second, but everybody else in the AC world beat Barker. Even Ray Davies and Glenn Ashby who had been sailing Moths for less than 6 weeks. From the end of that regatta, he knew he was cooked.

Two months later he was crying to the country on national radio claiming he'd been sacked.

One thing about the whole capsize that stood out for Me was, during the recovery, when there was chaos, when we saw guys like Goodison, guys from the shore crew, guys from ETNZ, pumping water, hauling sails around, where was Barker during the whole thing?

This photo sums it up for me:

dean-barker-looks-on-as-the-new-zealand-

patriot-sinking-nzherald.jpg?width=635&h

gettyimages-1296793563.jpg?itok=wq3JXJbc

LJTESHGEAFGCXDCIP4Q4PG36B4.jpg

The Kiwi's are in there boots n all, getting their hands dirty. While Dean looks stunned wondering what he should be doing.

• Like 1

As Four has said in the past Deano appears to be sailing like he attempting to shed his past demons that awkward stance white knuckles gripping the shaking wheel of his last opportunity for AC success and redemption.

The more I looked at the wipeout the telling turn back to face Goody was proof enough that doubt at 40 knots just hastened the rather quick journey to chaos.

The irony of facing light conditions for the semis won’t be lost on the Amway crew.

14 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

One thing about the whole capsize that stood out for Me was, during the recovery, when there was chaos, when we saw guys like Goodison, guys from the shore crew, guys from ETNZ, pumping water, hauling sails around, where was Barker during the whole thing?

The Kiwi's are in there boots n all, getting their hands dirty. While Dean looks stunned wondering what he should be doing.

When the question was asked of what else he could do other than drive at ETNZ during the review, I don't think they could find any more meaningful contributions...

42 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

Enter the 2015 Moth Worlds in Melbourne. The only world class foiling event outside the America's Cup at the time besides the C Class catamaran. Outteridge, Jensen, Bruni, Chris Draper and a few potential AC candidates like Tom Slingsby joined Burling, Tuke, Davies, Ashby & Barker to see who could get bragging rights going into the next AC cycle. The rest is history. Burling smashed everybody. Outteridge was second, but everybody else in the AC world beat Barker. Even Ray Davies and Glenn Ashby who had been sailing Moths for less than 6 weeks. From the end of that regatta, he knew he was cooked at ETNZ.

thought I'd fact check this.

https://www.foilingweek.com/2015/01/16/mcdougallmcconaghy-2015-moth-worlds-final-results/

DB finished 31st, between tom slingsby and goodie. 

Quite impressive to see blair tuke in 6th.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Or quick boys get their secrets before the bloody thing sinks

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, shebeen said:

thought I'd fact check this.

https://www.foilingweek.com/2015/01/16/mcdougallmcconaghy-2015-moth-worlds-final-results/

DB finished 31st, between tom slingsby and goodie. 

Quite impressive to see blair tuke in 6th.

Tom rocked up with a borrowed boat and no support like db, and weighs a ton. Good result...too bad we don't see him on an AC ride

• Like 4