On 04/02/2021 at 5:09 AM, Chris UK said:

You've clearly never sailed with a national/international championship helm......or you'd have more respect for maneuvers.....

Maneuvers performed under pressure win races, as AMs turn at speed was....hell, Nathan Outterridge is forever telling you as much if you'd only listen.

Maneuvers are the bendy bits that connect the straight bits for christsake.

Obviously not relevant to you as socks don't sail.

At least he can spell....

That whole post is such a wankfest.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

5 hours ago, 167149 said:

well it's had a pretty thorough recent wash through so..... strip off all the shiney and oiley stuff and tow it way out past the enviroment and blow the front off, make an ideal home for some glow in the dark fish

I didn't think the front was meant to fall off?

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/the-devlin-radio-show/audio/dean-barker-i-find-it-hard-to-accept-the-exit-because-of-how-much-we-put-into-it/

The voice of a loser....   He is so out of touch with reality. 

No winning attitude .. no " I'm pissed off with what happened".

He doesn't care that he loses.

• Downvote 2
2 hours ago, Baconator said:

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/on-air/the-devlin-radio-show/audio/dean-barker-i-find-it-hard-to-accept-the-exit-because-of-how-much-we-put-into-it/

The voice of a loser....   He is so out of touch with reality. 

No winning attitude .. no " I'm pissed off with what happened".

He doesn't care that he loses.

Ma Barker per caso ha ucciso qualcuno della tua famiglia? :-D

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey it's a cruel world came past the Amway base this morning felt like someone had just flicked off the life switch very eery.

Yeah, sucks.

The AC is always like that with eliminated teams, but it's the manner in which they were eliminated that bites.

They should open it up to SAAC denizens, so we can draw yellow lines on shit, and let the calibrated seagulls loose...

• Like 1

You will find a very interesting interview from Dimitri Despierres, rep for mechatronic in american magic team.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/video-america-s-cup-exclusif-le-debrief-du-brutal-echec-americain-avec-dimitri-despierres-72fa3016-660d-11eb-b7fd-4c2d7f67ad57

one opportunity to improve "votre français"

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, herve.saulnier said:

You will find a very interesting interview from Dimitri Despierres, rep for mechatronic in american magic team.

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/regate/coupe-de-l-america/video-america-s-cup-exclusif-le-debrief-du-brutal-echec-americain-avec-dimitri-despierres-72fa3016-660d-11eb-b7fd-4c2d7f67ad57 

one opportunity to improve "votre français"

Merci beaucoup

43 minutes ago, herve.saulnier said:

the debriefing of the brutal American failure with Dimitri Despierres

Interesting. I hope I understood correctly. If someone can speak a better French, help appreciated. Here just some lines: He said that the level of performance of Patriot was the same as it was prior to the capsize. Unfortunately of course, they couldn't develop it further in the days used for the reconstruction, and couldn't try untested solutions for the race. When asked if the crew had to battle against their own boat, he said that in the semis they had some issues with the batteries (one design) giving frequent errors and the hydraulic system too: oil overheating sensors caused the system to stop. He said that strategy, tactics and communications are fundamental for winning the races, with the vision of the whole race course and that Ineos is the proof of that, having won some races also for this reason.

• Like 2

It's a shame that the team with the most time on the water came apart so fast when regatta time hit.  The rebuild was incredible but the feeling of impending doom after such an unbelievable rebuild and "all hands on deck" situation was, understandably, there for everyone.  For sure they gave it their best shot and all worked their asses off.  However, they were outclassed in tactics and boat handling and were the only team that didn't/couldn't improve from the first day of racing.  Every other team was able to "level up" leaving AM in the dust.

This platform is so damn expensive I would not be surprised to see NYYC go dormant again until a more reasonable platform is instituted.

9 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Interesting. I hope I understood correctly. If someone can speak a better French, help appreciated. Here just some lines: He said that the level of performance of Patriot was the same as it was prior to the capsize. Unfortunately of course, they couldn't develop it further in the days used for the reconstruction, and couldn't try untested solutions for the race. When asked if the crew had to battle against their own boat, he said that in the semis they had some issues with the batteries (one design) giving frequent errors and the hydraulic system too: oil overheating sensors caused the system to stop. He said that strategy, tactics and communications are fundamental for winning the races, with the vision of the whole race course and that Ineos is the proof of that, having won some races also for this reason. 

Yep you understood well

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, strider470 said:

Here just some lines: ....

Thanks for the interpretation. 

It's a shame that more websites in countries where English is not the native language, like France, don't offer an English version as well. I can understand the additional costs involved, but I (an Aussie) do like to get info and opinions from other perspectives.

• Like 1
Just now, MaxHugen said:

It's a shame that more websites in countries where English is not the native language, like France, don't offer an English version as well. I can understand the additional costs involved, but I (an Aussie) do like to get info and opinions from other perspectives.

In Italy it's even worse: the level of English is so low it would be almost impossible to have an English version with the same content. :-D :-D But the new generations are better I hope. We have some politicians that struggle with Italian too :-D

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

Trying to work out whether this is a troll or a genuine suggestion...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

SailGP USA team snapping up guys from American Magic:

Spithill snaps up American Magic sailors for United States SailGP Team | Yacht Racing Life

Will be interesting to see what role Andrew Campbell is going to perform - I think when they announced Spithill joining to help, Rome Kirby was delegated to the flight control?

SailGP certainly have an awesome collection of top sailors with foiling experience. Looking forward to watching it. :)

• Like 1
On 2/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, Chris UK said:

Watched the above and something didn't wash.

They said that Patriot was designed and setup for straight line speed, but as a consequence the sailing team didn't have the confidence to perform tight turns on the foils and around the marks........which sounds a reasonable conclusion.....only, in that last race to create the split at the bottom mark they performed a turn to take the bottom left gate and create the split that was excellent i.e. right up there with Ineos's turn the create the split again LR.......

History is going to be a harsh judge or AM/Patriot and I get that, but lets not neglect that she did have moments, and that mark rounding was one of them.

Well every race has mark rounding and design better remember that.

4 hours ago, MastaVonBlasta said:

Spithill snaps up American Magic sailors for United States SailGP Team | Yacht Racing Life

Will be interesting to see what role Andrew Campbell is going to perform - I think when they announced Spithill joining to help, Rome Kirby was delegated to the flight control?

All three are highly competent sailors top level sailors.  None of them will grow into a helm/tactician to match Sling, NO, BA or PB.   We need to invest in the pipeline if we are going to home grow world class talent. But then we dont have a driver who competes in Formula one either.

But we do have Tom Brady! a once in a life time phenomenon 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Alex Sinclair is he still NZ? They need a woman on board too so with Spithill, Campbell, Dresser, Sinclair and a woman not much room for the old gang like Taylor or Rome. Sayonara?

Did you assume Jemima Spithill's gender?

20 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

All three are highly competent sailors top level sailors.  None of them will grow into a helm/tactician to match Sling, NO, BA or PB.   We need to invest in the pipeline if we are going to home grow world class talent. But then we dont have a driver who competes in Formula one either.

But we do have Tom Brady! a once in a life time phenomenon 

Campbell, Dressler and Sinclair are listed as grinders. Kirby flight controller. Spitball helm. So the woman would be wing trimmer if that's still a position? I am being judgemental and assuming not a grinder. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Campbell, Dressler and Sinclair are listed as grinders. Kirby flight controller. Spitball helm. So the woman would be wing trimmer if that's still a position? I am being judgemental and assuming not a grinder. 

There are only five crewmembers on an F 50.

On 2/8/2021 at 8:55 AM, MastaVonBlasta said:

You certainly would't hire the guy who flew the American Tragic boats for the last 3 years as a grinder, my guess would be if Rome wants to still be on the boat, he will be hitting the gym a lot more now.

So much for sail GP's nationality scheme, Americans 3 to 2 against AUS/ NZL/ ANT...... I'd bet a beer that by the time they cross the first start line, the only Americans onboard will be Andrew and Dressler.

1 hour ago, accnick said:

There are only five crewmembers on an F 50.

Used to be 2 grinders on the boat. Helm, flight controller, grinder, grinder, wing trimmer. They got a spare or...? Spozed to have a woman per the pr crap I read before their seditionweasel-backing owner became a total turnoff.

30 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Used to be 2 grinders on the boat. Helm, flight controller, grinder, grinder, wing trimmer. They got a spare or...? Spozed to have a woman per the pr crap I read before their seditionweasel-backing owner became a total turnoff.

We don't know yet what they will come up with for the final crew rules for season 2. I'm just quoting what the current Class Rule says: five crew, max weight 437.5 kg. RD can specify fewer crew (proposed for ultra-light conditions), but max crew weight is the same. No minimum crew weight, unlike the AC.

The used to carry crew corrector weights to more or less equalize the weights of crews, but the teams quickly figured out how to game that system, so that went away for the Sydney 2020 regatta, the last event sailed.

The boats are only designed for a specific maximum crew weight, so you can't just arbitrarily increase crew weight and add another crew member. There also isn't a lot of room. The cockpit layout is optimized for five, and is not easily changed. That doesn't mean it won't get changed, however.

Only the French team sailed with a woman during Season 1: Marie Riou. And before you ask, she was not the lightest sailor on the boat, nor were they the lightest crew, so they were not disadvantaged in any way by having a woman aboard. Plus, she's a great sailor.

16 hours ago, Norcal said:

You certainly would't hire the guy who flew the American Tragic boats for the last 3 years as a grinder, my guess would be if Rome wants to still be on the boat, he will be hitting the gym a lot more now.

So much for sail GP's nationality scheme, Americans 3 to 2 against AUS/ NZL/ ANT...... I'd bet a beer that by the time they cross the first start line, the only Americans onboard will be Andrew and Dressler.

Jimmy has American citizenship from his time at Oracle I believe. 

7 hours ago, JonRowe said:

Jimmy has American citizenship from his time at Oracle I believe. 

Have never heard JS say what-all passports or citizenship rights he may have but his wife is for sure American and his 3 kids were (I think) born and raised where they live in San Diego. 

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

He certainly would be eligible for a green card and SB says he has one. 

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/12/08/spithill-takes-control-of-u-s-sailgp-team/

Thanks, first time I’ve seen it.

As Spithill holds a USA Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) for his primary residence in San Diego, CA, and his wife and kids are all U.S. citizens, he successfully declared U.S. citizenship for SailGP which would allow, if desired, the U.S. team to include another non-national crew member.

After AC34 SF JS was on The Late Show one night with Steve Colbert (a sailing fan) and Colbert asked JS about his accent. ‘Is it a southern accent?’ JS responded very fast with a laughing reply ‘Yes, a very southern accent!’ Etc. 

It may have been rehearsed (probably) but it was pretty smooth and very damn funny! 

42 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

As Spithill holds a USA Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) for his primary residence in San Diego, CA, and his wife and kids are all U.S. citizens, he successfully declared U.S. citizenship for SailGP which would allow, if desired, the U.S. team to include another non-national crew member.

Then why did he win Australian sailor of the year and not US sailor of the year for winning the America Cup?

47 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

This is interesting, my understanding re: World Sailing or whatever they are called, is that you only get to change your citizenship once. Not sure if they govern Americas Cup or The F50 circus though?

I think Mitch Booth might have done this AUS -> NED 

Dual nationality and nationality changes
19.13 Unless Regulations 19.14 to 19.17 apply:

(a) a competitor who is a national of two or more countries at the same time may
represent either one of them as he may elect (this election may be made once
only); and

(b) after representing one country, a competitor shall not represent another
country.

19.14 A competitor shall not be regarded as having represented a country unless he is at
least 16 years of age at the time.

19.15 A competitor who has represented one country and who has another nationality, has
changed his nationality, or has acquired a new nationality shall not represent his new
country unless:
(a) he has not represented his old country within the last three years; and
(b) at least three years has passed since such change or acquisition.
The World Sailing Board may, after taking into account the circumstances of each case
and with the agreement of the Member National Authorities concerned, reduce or
cancel the three-year periods referred to in (a) and (b) above.

19.16 If a part of an existing country (such as an associated state, province or overseas
department, country or colony) acquires independence and becomes a new country, or
is incorporated into or is associated with another country, a competitor may:
(a) continue to represent the former country if he remains a national of that
country; or
(b) represent the new country provided that country has a Member National
Authority and the competitor becomes or applies to become a national of that
country.
The choice provided for in this Regulation may only be made once in respect of such
change in national status (subject to Regulation 19.15) and shall be notified to the
Chief Executive Officer. The country a competitor represents must be recognised by
the International Olympic Committee.

Apparently SailGP has rules of their own? That, or we don’t know what all multi-citizenship passports JS has, they could even include an Italian one? And a Swiss one, for tax reasons? Wth knows.. 

That NZ sailor who tried to sue OR had some weird thing going on with his paychecks going to an account in Dubai, to a ‘company’ he was the owner and the only employee of. 

On 2/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, strider470 said:

In Italy it's even worse: the level of English is so low it would be almost impossible to have an English version with the same content.

I used to give technical briefings in Italy for my company and it was an interesting experience. My Italian is just about sufficient to order a pizza and a beer. 20 client personnel would gather in a room and a local from my company would translate what I said. An animated twenty minute discussion would follow, while I stood there uncertain of what to do with myself, like the singer during an endless guitar solo. Eventually, the local would give me a one sentence summary of what happened. So I really had no clue what was going on. But this was in IT. In every other country, IT people speak English, even the French deign to do so, while the Germans and Scandinavians  speak better English than most English.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

That NZ sailor who tried to sue OR had some weird thing going on with his paychecks going to an account in Dubai, to a ‘company’ he was the owner and the only employee of.

Thats nothing unusual about single person companies, its common as a contractor because companies offer you a legal protection and many other companies will only deal with companies.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Thats nothing unusual about single person companies, its common as a contractor because companies offer you a legal protection and many other companies will only deal with companies.

That's a bit too complicated for spinray.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:31 PM, dogwatch said:

I used to give technical briefings in Italy for my company and it was an interesting experience. My Italian is just about sufficient to order a pizza and a beer. 20 client personnel would gather in a room and a local from my company would translate what I said. An animated twenty minute discussion would follow, while I stood there uncertain of what to do with myself, like the singer during an endless guitar solo. Eventually, the local would give me a one sentence summary of what happened. So I really had no clue what was going on. But this was in IT. In every other country, IT people speak English, even the French deign to do so, while the Germans and Scandinavians  speak better English than most English.

Great story, enjoyed it 

4 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

As you say, cruel given the week that was in it. 

Hutch should just wipe his butt with the notice, but being the nice guy he is he'll probably pay it out of his own pocket. The incident was in September and they've only now just issued the fine? Someone should have just ripped up the notice and let it go..

4 minutes ago, Indio said:

Hutch should just wipe his butt with the notice, but being the nice guy he is he'll probably pay it out of his own pocket. The incident was in September and they've only now just issued the fine? Someone should have just ripped up the notice and let it go..

Well said, I hadn’t realized it happened in September which makes it all the more petty given subsequent events. Reminds me of the time I had to leave the house here during lockdown to take a call from a customer overseas where I needed good mobile cover. I’m sitting parked in the car on the phone when a weapons inspector in a yellow jacket puts a ticket on my windscreen. When I challenged the moron he said he needed to get a few tickets issued or he’d lose his job. A few days later I’m in the same spot on another call and he strolls by, like a horse overtaking a car, and I’m waiting and ready and he winks at me, and I wink back, and I’m good to go ever since.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Paddywackery said:

Well said, I hadn’t realized it happened in September which makes it all the more petty given subsequent events. Reminds me of the time I had to leave the house here during lockdown to take a call from a customer overseas where I needed good mobile cover. I’m sitting parked in the car on the phone when a weapons inspector in a yellow jacket puts a ticket on my windscreen. When I challenged the moron he said he needed to get a few tickets issued or he’d lose his job. A few days later I’m in the same spot on another call and he strolls by, like a horse overtaking a car, and I’m waiting and ready and he winks at me, and I wink back, and I’m good to go ever since.

I predict GD will publicly pick up the tab. :-)

On 2/8/2021 at 2:02 PM, MaxHugen said:

True this, so many of the Vendee, IMOCA and Jules Verne challenges never have much in English 

16 hours ago, 45Roller said:

True this, so many of the Vendee, IMOCA and Jules Verne challenges never have much in English 

They have more english content than the Americas Cup has french content...

• Like 6
1 hour ago, JonRowe said:

They have more english content than the Americas Cup has french content...

Agreed, no question, but there's not as much interest in the AC in France, if there was a challenger from there I'm sure we would see more content. Whereas with ocean racing they are world leaders, so a lot more interest from non French speaking countries 

29 minutes ago, veritas said:

Have they packed up and fucked off yet?

B1and B2 are wrapped up in the shed an array of containers are sitting on the forecourt along with a couple of shrink wrapped tenders and the remainder in the water the launch crane has gone all rather a weird scene scaled against their neighbours the Frackers readying for tomorrow’s encounter on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup for now until it is either lost on the water or lost to the highest bidder...

41 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

B1and B2 are wrapped up in the shed an array of containers are sitting on the forecourt along with a couple of shrink wrapped tenders and the remainder in the water the launch crane has gone all rather a weird scene scaled against their neighbours the Frackers readying for tomorrow’s encounter on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup for now until it is either lost on the water or lost to the highest bidder...

Have they made any comments about wanting to challenge again ?

43 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Cheers, amazing to think another one will/could be gone in two days. So much for the economic benefit (and please don't go there it has been done to death! At $1.35 from $1.70 last weekend but whilst I have a hefty 7-0 bet INEOS just has to sail well. Forecast not promising though and course E? Been 100 years since I sailed there in  SW 

9 hours ago, 45Roller said:

Was Bora Gulari not considered for helm at any stage? 

IIRC Bora came and went from the team line-up very early on - not sure why but it might be related to him not having been part of the Quantum 52 or Bella 72 programs which filled a lot of the roster....? That's just guesswork.

11 minutes ago, mako23 said:

None that I'm aware of. I have heard that Hap Fauth hasn't been a big fan of how it has all played out with the 75s - I think he was originally sold on the 'monohull' idea and never came round to the 75s. There's a bunch of gossip floating around about the internal politics but nothing that hasn't already been covered before.

My guess is that a lot hinges on the outcome of the Cup and who goes in as COR - there's rumours that Alinghi are primed if LR win and it seems like INEOS will be COR if ETNZ keep the cup. I expect any NYYC challenge would be announced once new protocols for AC37 are confirmed and it may be a different financial conglomerate....

34 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

^^^ You must have gone to AKL Grammar Pris, where punctuation is optional.........

Hah yes I did not the greatest of memories learnt to smoke ambush bully’s in the bike sheds and beat the crap out of them relocated the Goldie in the main hall got told to leave and did.

5 hours ago, NZK said:

IIRC Bora came and went from the team line-up very early on - not sure why but it might be related to him not having been part of the Quantum 52 or Bella 72 programs which filled a lot of the roster....? That's just guesswork.

OK thanks for that, guesswork is better than nothing, I like your theory tho, not sure what kind of big boat campaign experience he has? 

24 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

OK thanks for that, guesswork is better than nothing, I like your theory tho, not sure what kind of big boat campaign experience he has? 

He was involved in the Quantum TP52 program for a while but that hasn't been for a few seasons (2017 IIRC) ...

4 minutes ago, NZK said:

He was involved in the Quantum TP52 program for a while but that hasn't been for a few seasons (2017 IIRC) ...

Ok thanks for the info, here's hoping there will be a US challenger in the next cup

On 2/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, MaxHugen said:

The real shame is that some people refuse to learn (i.e. a second/other language) ....

and then those ignorant people expect that there should be transltions or them  ... while they fliunder in their laziness ....   

7 hours ago, mako23 said:

There seems to be interest, but highly unlikely that a decision is made until this cup is over. I hope they do. We can use all the teams we can get and expecting to win on your fist go is a bit like starting a new NFL franchise and expecting to win the Super Bowl on year 1. (unless you have Brady :P).

33 minutes ago, Norberto said:

... since it is from Australia ....  probably a real post .... they do not believe in learning another language there ...

Perhaps this Aussie prefers learning subjects other than languages.

I can't speak for all other 24M Aussies as apparently you can.

Q.E.D.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

As a personal comment, Aussies might find it worthwhile learning other accents ...

But geopolitically, the logical foreign language to learn would be mandarin

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Xlot said:

As a personal comment, Aussies might find it worthwhile learning other accents ...

True.  Of foreign languages studied, I understand Japanese is #1, followed by French, then Mandarin.

Due to immigration, some 30% of Aussies speak more than one language, and that's increasing each year.

I know a few languages besides English:  VB, C#, JavaScript, and bits of some others... :)

• Like 3
3 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

True.  Of foreign languages studied, I understand Japanese is #1, followed by French, then Mandarin.

Due to immigration, some 30% of Aussies speak more than one language, and that's increasing each year.

I know a few languages besides English:  VB, C#, JavaScript, and bits of some others... :)

You show class. And objects

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MaxHugen said:

I can't speak for all other 24M Aussies as apparently you can.

Q.E.D.

You're all still criminals, but point well made... 8)

5 hours ago, Xlot said:

Nah mate, Maori. It's pretty much compulsory in NZ, it's only a matter of time before Jacinda raises it with Scotty Morrison.

9 hours ago, EastCoastHustle said:

There seems to be interest, but highly unlikely that a decision is made until this cup is over. I hope they do. We can use all the teams we can get and expecting to win on your fist go is a bit like starting a new NFL franchise and expecting to win the Super Bowl on year 1. (unless you have Brady :P).

And the gronk