Was down at St Heliers around hour ago and could see Te Kahu out in the distance by North Head, and what appeared to be Defiant (?) displacing out by Rangitoto.

Any other reports?

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Forourselves said:

What ever it added, it wasn’t there when it was launched. 
NZ hasn’t “removed” anything. B1 still has its bustle. The test boat has a V shape hull. As stated on multiple occasions, and even by Nick Holroud himself on Shirley Robertson’s podcast, LRs skeg is simply a more extreme version of ETNZs hull shape. It is essentially there to reduce wetted surface area and aid in early flight. As in AM, I have t said she can’t sail. I’m saying there is not the footage to prove what you or anyone else is saying in regards to it’s performance being anything close, better or faster than what Te Aihe is currently displaying. Which is absolutely true. I don’t know what theyve changed, if anything, but they haven’t gone with any obvious hull changes. 

Go back and read what I said.  I said that NZ is really the only boat with a full bustle and even they changed it when they built the test boat (B1.5 according to the team).  I would not be surprised to see major changes in the hull for NZ B2 to make it more stabile during takeoff.  Their deep, full rounded bustle makes the hull behave more like a round buoy in the water, just when they have no RM before take off. That is where the flatter hulls like AM, UK and to an extent LR, can achieve earlier take off.  They can power up the sails earlier without excessive heeling (when the boat has little RM, the major flaw to this boat design).  I don't think the suction of more wetted surface out weighs the increase stability of the flatter hulls.  The flatter hull would tend to get up and plane on the water sooner than one that has a bustle or keel cutting into the water.  As for having a smaller wetted area, the center part of the hull on LR or GB would more cut into the water instead of glance off of it during a touch down.  Maybe the center pod of the NZ hull would help with skipping off of the water, but it does hang down lower from the arm swing points.  A flatter hull would still be above the water at the point where the NZ hull touches.

As for AM, you constantly make totally unfounded claims about how slow or bad of a boat it is.  You can do your own homework to find the videos of her sailing fast and doing dry maneuvers.  You can not sail a boat for 140 mile over two days of training in a small harbor without being fast and good at maneuvers.  I am sure that we have speeds in excess of 40 knots in some of the videos.  But again, you do your own homework.  I am not going to go digging back through the threads just to disprove the crap that you are throwing at the walls.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Hawke said:

It was out there a week ago.  Some pretty shitty weather since then.  Does that constitute "not being sailed"?

After the last storm went through you wouldn't want to sail in the harbour for a few days anyway with the amount of junk and logs in the harbour.

It looks like team NZ is willing to sell B1.  Something you don’t do if it is any good.  I guess I was right with them liking the test boat better.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2020/07/america-s-cup-2021-stars-stripes-seek-team-nz-boat-for-challenger-series.html

15 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

It looks like team NZ is willing to sell B1.  Something you don’t do if it is any good.  I guess I was right with them liking the test boat better.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2020/07/america-s-cup-2021-stars-stripes-seek-team-nz-boat-for-challenger-series.html

They have a boat 1.5. When they have a boat 1.5 and a boat 2, there’s no need for a B1. 

20 hours ago, Forourselves said:

LRs skeg is simply a more extreme version of ETNZs hull shape. It is essentially there to reduce wetted surface area and aid in early flight.

No, the rounded bustle reduces the wetted surface, the mini keel on LR and Ineos increases it. 

5 minutes ago, nroose said:

Aren't they prohibited from 2-boat testing b1 v b2 anyway?

Once the challenger series/Prada cup is under way they can sail both boats against each other, prior to then you're correct only one hull getting wet at the same time

23 hours ago, nroose said:

Aren't they prohibited from 2-boat testing b1 v b2 anyway?

That is not what I was talking about.  

If NZ B1 is that revolutionary of a boat design (from what we have been hearing on SA, it is vastly superior to all of the other teams), then why would you want to put it in the hands of a competitor?  Obviously, team NZ thinks that the B2 design is going to be a substantial leap from B1.  If it is that great of a design, then team UK or AM could just use S&S to buy it for UK or AM to use.  

23 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I hope everyone’s charged their batteries?

Including AM! :) 

Big moment for this AC cycle, here’s hoping they get to canting and full-flight foiling! 

23 minutes ago, mikenz2 said:

They have finally left the inner harbour!

The teams have definitely been sharing notes on how to hide behind harbour cranes!

Thank you. Great to see another AC75 in the harbour at long last..

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hawke said:

We await with anticipation Smack a Daddy's analysis.  Bound to be enlightening.

Trying to go slow on purpose to confuse the chase boats while overloading each component before selling the boat to S&S

he's also drugged half the seagulls with sleeping pills and the other half he has given meth just to confuse frame speed checkers

• Like 1

Seems to me that there has been more in the way of photos and video of ETNZ's boats than any other team - at least on SA.

With AM now here (welcome by the way!) hopefully we will see a lot more of them now.

Whilst the lack (or at least limited amount) of evidence on show from all teams hasn't stopped no end of posturing on the merits or otherwise of the various teams, facts are our friends and at last we will have two boats in proximity to one another (coincidentally of course) which can only be a good thing.

• Like 2

Call me when they dive to the bottom like the Emiraties. Until there is reliable info on actual speed differentials, the only way to win right now is staying on the foils. Period.

AM has shown they can do that pretty well. The Emiratis on the other hand...

EasyEnviousAsianelephant-small.gif

47 minutes ago, barfy said:

Well quoted Muppet

See, there you go again, proving my point that you are a poisonous waste of space.

MikeNZ2 captured probably the very first video posted here, of the first AC Challenger to sail in Auckland, for AC36. Why not instead just applaud that moment and effort too, dumbass? Got anything as good as that to contribute, or do you still have only farts? 

Please: F*ck off! ;) 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

F*ck off! ;)

It's cute the way you troll kids stick up for each other, and lick each other,I mean like each other. You are a waste of cut and paste space spinbot.

5 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Just stop, nobody needs your shitty attacks. You too, think about it. 

Thanks for another useless waste of bits...you must really have no friends to talk to.

• Downvote 4
1 hour ago, phill_nz said:

lucky it wasn't the hawk or the dolphin

somebody would be rant trolling for days

I only point out failure.

8 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Te Aihes first day In 5 months v DefiantS first day in 5 months.

I do have to admit - Te Ahmed is looking almost as good as DEFIANT was 6 months ago. Give the Emiratis another 6 months and they might be even...oh yeah.

5 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I do have to admit - Te Ahmed is looking almost as good as DEFIANT was 6 months ago. Give the Emiratis another 6 months and they might be even...oh yeah.

Link? Oh that’s right, you dont do proof lol we’re just all expected to take your word for it lol

57 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

lets be honest. Defiant is nowhere as crisp through manoeuvres as Te Aihe is. And before you AM fans get all defensive, both teams have been off the water for about the same amount of time. 

totally agree ... i'm trying to be open minded ... but Te Aihe looks like poetry  and the Air Bus looks like a Bumble Bee going from flower to flower 

• Like 2

Do we know whether the AM flight-team were able to keep working together on the simulator over the past months? 

There's no real denying that the comparison videos heavily favour ETNZ but they had plenty of time on the sim and then flying the Hawk around together over their '5 months' - if AM didn't even have the sim to train on together then we should perhaps allow AM a bit more of a warm-up before condemning them to the shit-can...

Also - glad to see they finally have some version of a deck-sweeper!  

5 hours ago, barfy said:

Thanks for another useless waste of bits...you must really have no friends to talk to.

You three are really so cute...

But, get a room.

Edit: just missing smack head to have a full house! Birds of a feather

Screenshot_20200727-195636_Chrome.jpg

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, weta27 said:

The (new?) boom and decksweeper arrangement - differential between sail skins (blue and red trims) visible.

skins1.jpg

That is cool. Again with the big gap between leaches...I wonder if the vacuum created helps to suck the skins together..

36 minutes ago, NZK said:

Do we know whether the AM flight-team were able to keep working together on the simulator over the past months? 

There's no real denying that the comparison videos heavily favour ETNZ but they had plenty of time on the sim and then flying the Hawk around together over their '5 months' - if AM didn't even have the sim to train on together then we should perhaps allow AM a bit more of a warm-up before condemning them to the shit-can...

Also - glad to see they finally have some version of a deck-sweeper!  

To this point, AM’s relaunch today comes further into their campaign than ETNZ’s above. They have had more opportunity to sail and practice on the simulator than ETNZ would have had at their relaunch. 

1 hour ago, Bushman said:

totally agree ... i'm trying to be open minded ... but Te Aihe looks like poetry  and the Air Bus looks like a Bumble Bee going from flower to flower 

The Kiwi's look more powered up to me for some reason and the sails look better. Hard to tell as it seems AM damaged their jib and used a smaller one when video'd. Early days and don't forget the Kiwis have been training with their test boat. I think AM will get better but I think we all knew the Kiwis would be hard to beat. For me the question is how will AM go against the other 2 challengers? 

5 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

That SY ‘Marae’ is it local to Auckland? 

Ensign is Stars & Stripes, so probably not, Stinger.

• Downvote 1
14 minutes ago, barfy said:

Again with the big gap between leaches...I wonder if the vacuum created helps to suck the skins together..

That apparent gap is actually the skins sliding past each other I think; when de-powered, the gap almost disappeared.

skins2.jpg

6 minutes ago, weta27 said:

That apparent gap is actually the skins sliding past each other I think; when de-powered, the gap almost disappeared.

skins2.jpg

So the first shot is powered up with leeches taut, and this shot is hove to?

Thx again for the sweet coverage, in one day we have as much info as we did for the entire campaign to date. Excluding propaganda.

America's Cup Rialto - July 27: American Magic has first sail on the Waitemata

by Richard Gladwell/Sail-World.com/NZ 26 Jul 22:32 PDT27 July 2020

The New York Yacht Club's America's Cup team, American Magic became the first Challenger to sail on the Waitemata Harbour, putting in an almost six hour session. After leaving the dock at 10.40am, Defiant's crew had to cool their heels waiting for the breeze to build and were rewarded with an 8kt SE breeze - enough for Defiant to get foiling in the Waitemata Harbour.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/230392/Americas-Cup-Rialto-American-Magic-goes-foiling

Pic: RG

yysw290383.jpg

• Like 5
38 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

To this point, AM’s relaunch today comes further into their campaign than ETNZ’s above. They have had more opportunity to sail and practice on the simulator than ETNZ would have had at their relaunch. 

Yep, that'd be totally fair IF we knew whether or not AM had access to the simulator during the 5 months. If Deano, Goody etc have been on the sim together a bunch in the past weeks/months then this footage is more concerning. If they haven't been able to train together at all then maybe we give them a few days to warm back up....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, barfy said:

You three are really so cute...

But, get a room.

Edit: just missing smack head to have a full house! Birds of a feather

Screenshot_20200727-195636_Chrome.jpg

I don't really downvote people. It's for wusses.

On the other hand, if anyone deserves downvotes - it's you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Some nice footage there. 35 knots+ is good going in light wind. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

Yeah they look really good here Popping up on foils really easily and they seemed balanced and fast. 

5 hours ago, NZK said:

There's no real denying that the comparison videos heavily favour ETNZ ...

...Also - glad to see they finally have some version of a deck-sweeper!  

Can you elaborate on the first point? Are you talking about manoeuvres? Looked pretty good in @mikenz2 's last video. 

That was in place back in Florida pretty sure. 

Someone had posted about the difference between Ineos' battened foot vs ETNZs boom (articulating), suggesting Ineos' could only achieve a configuration of near matching camber down low vs flat windward skin. AM is certainly the most restricted for the shape of the main on the windward side down low (non articulating boom). Raises the question what shapes are actually desirable there. Ideally we hear from someone knowledgeable like @Basiliscus 

10 hours ago, weta27 said:

We heard the 'bang' as they went past, just as they got up on the foils.

How do they look getting up on the foils?  Were they stable in the light winds while still on the water, get up quicker, heel much, etc...  Just trying to get your gut feel about how they compare to NZ.

8 hours ago, Forourselves said:

lets be honest. Defiant is nowhere as crisp through manoeuvres as Te Aihe is. And before you AM fans get all defensive, both teams have been off the water for about the same amount of time. 

Come on.. NZ has been sailing the test boat all along to learn how to do the maneuvers.  Plus AM is handicapped with a small jib in lighter winds.  Soon you won’t be able to make all this crap up because we will have a lot of videos to watch.

1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

Come on.. NZ has been sailing the test boat all along to learn how to do the maneuvers.  Plus AM is handicapped with a small jib in lighter winds.  Soon you won’t be able to make all this crap up because we will have a lot of videos to watch.

My own take is that NZ is ahead on boat handling, but not by a mile or anything.  I do recall that in the lead up to 2013 there'd be days watching the web cam where one team or another would look like dogshit every time they'd turn the boat, then have a couple days of crisp moves. If I have a point, it's that we don't necessarily know what they were up to that day. I would personally guess that it's a shakedown and get back in the saddle moment.  Feel free, however, to classify it as "they're doomed" or "I can taste the cup already!" depending on your team fandom. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

One noticeable difference.  AM didn’t need to be towed around or pulled up unto their foils.  In light wind, they just sailed it.

I’m reminded of the very first simulations - by AM in fact - that showed boats would need 13 kts to take off. Now it’s below 8 kts (and of course this varies with the square of the ratio). Just like full foiling previously, there’s nothing like the AC for unlocking