13 minutes ago, Rushman said:

No, that is a question to which we all know the answer unfortunately, you have already answered it.

(I am hoping he finds himself in a bar, surrounded by All Blacks who have just lost the Bledisloe and he calls them kiwiwhingers...)

Are there photos of what happened next?

The pic is just click bait for granny Heralds pay wall courtesy of RG.

• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we have liftoff!!

I for one was happy to finally see an American team that didn’t just reek of assholes. Terry was a great bloke to have in front of the cameras and the intimate videos behind the scenes I found quite f

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Unlikely.

mummy would have to let him out, Jacinda would have to let him in, ABs would have to loose to Australia, Plus your media would have to not shop your just beaten ABs for going to a bar. 

what’s the odds on all of that? 

Don’t destroy my dream!

PS As an Aussie I can’t see the AB’s losing the Bledisloe for a long long time

54 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

Looks very stable and super fast doesn't it?! 

Incoming attack on the class in 3, 2, ...

Guess which pic won't be posted in every thread several times a week for the next several months? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, fish7yu said:

Looks very stable and super fast doesn't it?! :unsure:

Looks like a 12 metre class AC boat shredding its way up the harbour.

Yuk, displacement mode. 

22 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Fuck it’s ugly as.

A2DDF790-307C-4F42-8D9A-FA93BFCE0507.jpeg.d43909735131d6a33df38036c9af7fdb.jpeg

The future of yachting with the accompanying gas guzzling ensemble.

78A9209D-5A94-41E5-BBBF-BEC744ECCA7E.jpeg.15f63676e571c133c1876608571a332f.jpeg

My you are sensitive. Do tell,

What do you and your wife drive? Just for contexT.

Gladwell's description of the above:

As Defiant exited a high-speed gybe, aiming to pass close to a race mark the AC75 appeared to be very powered up, with a rain squall approaching.

Helmed by Dean Barker, Defiant heeled to leeward at what looked to be quite an alarming angle, as the rudder pushed out a solid rooster-tail of spray, indicative of cavitation.

With the leeward foil/wing starting to load up, Defiant rounded up slightly, going into a bow up stern down trim, as the rudder wing lost grip on the water probably due to cavitation.

The photo below is from the same sequence.

- NZ Herald, photo credit Richard Gladwell

5Z77BPX7PFHSPGZ3HJ5UDRQRGM.jpg

2 hours ago, weta27 said:

Gladwell's description of the above:

As Defiant exited a high-speed gybe, aiming to pass close to a race mark the AC75 appeared to be very powered up, with a rain squall approaching.

Helmed by Dean Barker, Defiant heeled to leeward at what looked to be quite an alarming angle, as the rudder pushed out a solid rooster-tail of spray, indicative of cavitation.

With the leeward foil/wing starting to load up, Defiant rounded up slightly, going into a bow up stern down trim, as the rudder wing lost grip on the water probably due to cavitation.

The photo below is from the same sequence.

- NZ Herald, photo credit Richard Gladwell

5Z77BPX7PFHSPGZ3HJ5UDRQRGM.jpg

gee he loves a bit of assumption and cavitation doesn't he... 

cavitation is known to throw up a big rooster tail?

what about just losing grip from a large steering angle demand, I mean that's not as sexy sounding as cavitation but hey lets not truth get in the was of sensationalism

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

what about just losing grip from a large steering angle demand, I mean that's not as sexy sounding as cavitation but hey lets not truth get in the was of sensationalism

Jeez mate, you love to pile it on don’t ya Cunty. Why would a rudder loses grip from a “large steering demand”? Because it starts cavitating!

So you get up him for going on about cavitation & then use cavitation yourself as an example.

You couldn’t make this shit up. What a sack  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

4F20C1AF-DD35-4C63-B8F2-343C3772820F.thumb.jpeg.32a1d62813b83e2f64708604812fbfb7.jpeg

Wow. Great job handling one of the worse boat concepts in AC history in rough conditions.

Not everyone has that skill...not even the ones that dropped the AC75 turd on the carpet in the first place (literally)...

yysw275971.jpg

...in a mild 10 knots,.

Oof.

• Downvote 1
35 minutes ago, Onthelock! said:

Jeez mate, you love to pile it on don’t ya Cunty. Why would a rudder loses grip from a “large steering demand”? Because it starts cavitating!

So you get up him for going on about cavitation & then use cavitation yourself as an example.

You couldn’t make this shit up. What a sack  

Hi sock

yeah read the context you bellend, why would it lose grip? Ventilation from flow detaching with the rudder asked to steer too hard with too much load.

Tell me smart cunt how does foil buried in the water shoot rooster tail tens of feet out of the water if it is In cavitation?  Does vaporised water blast vertically upwards? 

You know the difference between ventilation and cavitation? Or do we have to go through this again? 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
16 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Hi sock

yeah read the context you bellend, why would it lose grip? Ventilation from flow detaching with the rudder asked to steer too hard with too much load.

Tell me smart cunt how does foil buried in the water shoot rooster tail tens of feet out of the water if it is In cavitation?  Does vaporised water blast vertically upwards? 

You know the difference between ventilation and cavitation? Or do we have to go through this again? 

Not a sock & I dont even have an argument with you. Just a bit rich calling him out for something you regularly attack with maniacal vigour. Enjoy the circle jerk. Done.

No beef/argument?

dont open with Calling me cunty and you won’t get such a response 

all I ask is that “respected sailing journos” just try once in a while to get facts and terminology correct once in a while. 

3 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

all I ask is that “respected sailing journos” just try once in a while to get facts and terminology correct once in a while. 

How often?

11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

No beef/argument?

dont open with Calling me cunty and you won’t get such a response 

OK Cunt

It's kind of interesting that Amwagic seems to end up bow up a lot of times when it's transitioning, either from stopped to foils, or from straight flight to brown shorts.  Wonder if the weight aft is a feature or a bug here?  NZ seems to roll to leeward often in the same transitions.  

We've all been on a boat in big air where someone wants to cheat the lazy sheet a bit tight to save some effort on the tack!

I will admit that Gladwell's use of cavitation instead of ventilation also bothered me. 

I see lots of people making this mistake and it can make a difference at times.  

There is also the less likely possibility that the rudder simply stalled to initiate the problem and then churned up the white water. 

Having a rudder "lose grip" for whatever reason is bad news during an AC75 jibe. 

Even though the boat rounded up and they kept sailing, the time lost would probably trash a boats chance for a win in an otherwise close race should it occur during competition. 

Alternately, the loss of control can potentially cascade into an even worse situation if the boat goes over and something breaks or if someone gets hurt.  The ETNZ capsize was a "warning shot" that all teams should take seriously and not assume that these events are "no big deal".     

• Like 1
4 hours ago, P Flados said:

I will admit that Gladwell's use of cavitation instead of ventilation also bothered me. 

I see lots of people making this mistake and it can make a difference at times.  

There is also the less likely possibility that the rudder simply stalled to initiate the problem and then churned up the white water. 

Having a rudder "lose grip" for whatever reason is bad news during an AC75 jibe. 

Even though the boat rounded up and they kept sailing, the time lost would probably trash a boats chance for a win in an otherwise close race should it occur during competition. 

Alternately, the loss of control can potentially cascade into an even worse situation if the boat goes over and something breaks or if someone gets hurt.  The ETNZ capsize was a "warning shot" that all teams should take seriously and not assume that these events are "no big deal".     

In the video a few days back, people commented on crabbing. I also saw shitloads of weather helm. Seems they have quite a balance issue and the rudder is a big part. We may see more spectacular fails yet!

12 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

It's about the only time I've not seen that traveller move.

I thought it was a barge. Maybe it's actually a submarine?

They’re trying to test out some local techniques. Had to get the boat wet first to make sure the crew has the infamous Kiwi bucket bailing technique dialed in. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Priscilla said:

4F20C1AF-DD35-4C63-B8F2-343C3772820F.thumb.jpeg.32a1d62813b83e2f64708604812fbfb7.jpeg

Would be awesome to see video of this, looks like the strongest breeze that I’ve seen the AC75 out in so far.

I'm not sure if anyone is following the pattern

San Fran - Oracle capsize - end up winning

Bermuda - ETNZ capsize - end up winning

Auckland - ETNZ capsize - ...

(somehow I need feel the need to note that this is satire and not actual statistical analysis for those that don't see the funny side:rolleyes:)

• Like 3
11 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Other peoples work and suggestion. Not what I would call quality journalism...

6 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

yysw292152.jpg

Got it. In the much calmer conditions. Makes sense.

It was a similar situation on Monday - except the US challenger stayed on the water.

The kiwis packed up ahead of the first of three rain squalls to hit the course area, and the AC75 did a fast tow on foils back to their base.

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Lickindip said:

I'm not sure if anyone is following the pattern

San Fran - Oracle capsize - end up winning

Bermuda - ETNZ capsize - end up winning

Auckland - ETNZ capsize - ...

(somehow I need feel the need to note that this is satire and not actual statistical analysis for those that don't see the funny side:rolleyes:)

Well, you know what they say about having a small sample from a large population… :ph34r:

1 minute ago, RobG said:

Well, you know what they say about having a small sample from a large population… :ph34r:

At least he could get a job writing content for something like Womans Day. At least there all you need is a bad idea, rumour and/or speculation to produce a 5 page piece...

Oh, here we go...still in fine form I see...

yysw292148.jpg

EasyEnviousAsianelephant-small.gif.124d5cfa9fbc26e844b74547e820bc79.gif

And not even any sheep in the paddock? Oh my.

Heh.

PS - And yes, little, NZL -  don't worry - I see you whimpering over there in the corner...

1835224259_ScreenShot2020-08-18at7_17_33PM.thumb.png.b5a1ccf25ac41c0fd5cd48e009b37b99.png

• Downvote 1
31 minutes ago, the saint said:

WOW somebody is reading a lot of shit in a lot of threads

You'd think he'd have at least some modicum of self-control/respect. It's like a whining puppy humping your leg as you walk through the bar...

Anyway, fish, that's my point...

29 minutes ago, fish7yu said:

10 KNOTS OF BREEZE...AAAAND FAIL. TIME TO GO HOME BOYS!

yysw292148.jpg

25 KNOTS OF COLD FRONT FURY...AAAAND LIGHT TOUCHDOWN. LET'S DO IT AGAIN BOYS!

yysw292126.jpg

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
31 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You'd think he'd have at least some modicum of self-control/respect. It's like a whining puppy humping your leg as you walk through the bar...

Love your dedication. 

9 minutes ago, Varan said:

Love your dedication. 

Heh. Thanks.

What's going to be funny is if the Emiratis lose on their home waters because they can only go fast in Bermuda-like, putting-green conditions. The Hairwhacky is just too much for them.

Seriously, we've seen both AM and LR hammering it out in some real stink. Not so much with the other 2.

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Looks even more than 25 knots there with AM. If there's 25 true there's always 35 gusts..! 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, P Flados said:

Footnote, it was in 25+++ knots of wind.  The races will be called in those conditions.   Lol

6 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Looks even more than 25 knots there with AM. If there's 25 true there's always 35 gusts..! 

55 knots AWS? Not many 75'ers can carry full rag in 60 mph winds, that's for sure.

Too bad Smack thinks these things are a pile of shit.

5 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

55 knots AWS? Not many 75'ers can carry full rag in 60 mph winds, that's for sure.

Where is that photo/video of an AC75 handling 55 knots again? 45? I'm not sure I've even sen 35 yet.

And where were the 60mph winds? Seagulls please.

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

I think terrafirma was suggesting that for an average of 25kts was it’s possible to GUST UP TO 35kts.

It’s possible but not guaranteed. 

NOT  be sailing in 25 and have 35 kt gusts. 

On 8/17/2020 at 8:01 PM, NZL3481 said:

https://www.foilingweek.com/2015/01/16/mcdougallmcconaghy-2015-moth-worlds-final-results/

It's never a good look when your tactician and wing trimmer smash you, not to mention the young guns. Barker had a year to lift his game after Burling & Tuke signed on, yet like in San Fransicso, failed to take his opportunities.

I guess it can happen to the best of them:

https://www.mysailingclub.com.au/DisplayResults/DisplayPublicSeriesResults?Id=337&Id2=2018 A-Cat Worlds

6 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Where is that photo/video of an AC75 handling 55 knots again? 45? I'm not sure I've even sen 35 yet.

And where were the 60mph winds? Seagulls please.

If Defiant’s boat speed is equal to TWS, then it needs to be doing 30 knots to generate 55 knots AWS across the deck......

I would expect AC75’s to be a lot faster than wind speed in most conditions..... They are know to do more than 50 knots, which if done in ~18 knots TWS, would also generate 55 knots AWS.

3 hours ago, rcbrds said:

I guess it can happen to the best of them:

Are you really trying to equate Gashby, Tuke & Burling all in top 5

with 1, 6, 16, Coach Ray Davies 18 -> -> -> Barker 31st? :blink:

To be fair Barker did still beat a whole heap of very good sailors there.

4 hours ago, Sidecar said:

They are know to do more than 50 knots...

Where is that documented?

I think Sting's math above starts to make some sense. But these things haven't shown the proven ability to hang on in these higher wind speeds. Sure they can do short bursts - and you might see some high numbers in those bursts - but then they inevitably go underwater. That's not great performance.

So far, what I've seen from the photos and videos is that these AC75s are so-so oversized golfcarts that can get some speed on smooth cartpaths rolling downhill. How much speed remains to be seen. And whether they can truly handle rougher conditions also remains to be seen.

LR took their golfcart off-roading. The craziest conditions we've seen an AC75 in by far. That was definitely entertaining - but far from impressive performance.

And AM has shown the ability to successfully sail their AC75 in a far wider range of conditions than the Emiratis in their own backyard...while the latter cower in the barn.

So, there is MUCH that remains to be seen...especially that 50+ knots you're talking about.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hoom said:

And got smashed by his peers (AC Helmsmen) at the time - Burling, Outteridge & Draper, not to mention his remaining team mates. He knew he was toast at the end of that regatta. 

1 hour ago, hoom said:

No, I'm not trying to equate them. But, the fact remains that someone said  "It's never a good look when your tactician and wing trimmer smash you" .  That was little to good to pass up.  Respect to all these guys, they're all great.

35 minutes ago, NZL3481 said:

And got smashed by his peers (AC Helmsmen) at the time - Burling, Outteridge & Draper, not to mention his remaining team mates. He knew he was toast at the end of that regatta. 

Yeah Deano got nailed by Jimmy in some of the AC34 starts with penalties etc on match point. But on the upwind legs Oracle was that much faster I doubt it really mattered. There was also that light race that got cancelled due to time limit when Deano was miles ahead but that wasn't his fault. I don't know Deano but he comes across as a really chilled guy does he have the killer instinct? That said we all know boat speed is a skipper's best friend..!

44 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

So, there is MUCH that remains to be seen...especially that 50+ knots you're talking about.

Some of you want to confuse Boat Speed, True Wind Speed and Apparent Wind Speed to suit your arguments.....

Maybe Te Aihe and Defiant haven’t hit 50 knots yet, but I am sure that you have seen this from the early posts on the InEOS thread.... and InEOS should be faster by now:

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2019/10/30/americas-cup-ineos-team-uk-go-for-the-full-monty/

36 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Some of you want to confuse Boat Speed, True Wind Speed and Apparent Wind Speed to suit your arguments.....

Maybe Te Aihe and Defiant haven’t hit 50 knots yet, but I am sure that you have seen this from the early posts on the InEOS thread.... and InEOS should be faster by now:

https://www.sailweb.co.uk/2019/10/30/americas-cup-ineos-team-uk-go-for-the-full-monty/

I'd not seen that article, but here is what it said...

John also reported that the automatic identification system (AIS) had a peak speed at 51.8 Knots on Monday with several over 40 knots!

Not sure how accurate that is but is still impressive.

AIS? Really? His last statement in red there is the key. No, Gerald, it's not impressive if it's not accurate.

So, if anyone is using dubious data to support an argument, it's you. I'm not nearly as willing to take Gerald and John's word for it as you are. Let's see some proof from a reliable measurement source. It's not that hard. SGP does it every day.

At the end of the day, I don't discount that these AC75s are capable of doing 50 knots. They are super powerful and they foil. So they should be able to.

That does not make them, however, good race boats. We've seen that in spades as every single team has found the bottom with these ridiculous things - and have a hell of a time trying to keep them consistently fast in maneuvers.

That's my point. And it's backed up by data - not some chucklehead looking at AIS.

• Downvote 1
1 hour ago, smackdaddy said:

And AM has shown the ability to successfully sail their AC75 in a far wider range of conditions than the Emiratis in their own backyard

That's not true, ETNZ have been out in all kinds of stuff, including worse, before AM even arrived.

This day, July 15, they were approaching the limits of the AC75, I would say; we watched them for quite a while and you could tell had their work cut out.

DSC_0824.jpg

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, weta27 said:

That's not true, ETNZ have been out in all kinds of stuff, including worse, before AM even arrived.

This day, July 15, they were approaching the limits of the AC75, I would say; we watched them for quite a while and you could tell had their work cut out.

DSC_0824.jpg

Again - we can only go by what we see. The conditions in this photo are not the level we see in the AM photo above.

Until we have video and actual conditions data, I'd have to give it to AM at this point based on the evidence provided. They were out in it while the Emiratis were in the barn. And even then, we're still talking moments in time - not the extended control needed for racing (back to the problem with the class itself).

There's only one way to cut through the BS and theoretical/hopeful postulation. Proof.

• Downvote 2
2 minutes ago, weta27 said:

DSC_0824.jpg

fuck sake ... stop bringing common sense, first-hand info and actual evidence to this forum ... it's just not fair on the conspiracy theoriests :lol::lol: 

image.png.3882472b61f7f01532abea199a542ce0.png

• Like 5
2 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah Deano got nailed by Jimmy in some of the AC34 starts with penalties etc on match point. But on the upwind legs Oracle was that much faster I doubt it really mattered. There was also that light race that got cancelled due to time limit when Deano was miles ahead but that wasn't his fault. I don't know Deano but he comes across as a really chilled guy does he have the killer instinct? That said we all know boat speed is a skipper's best friend..!

His reputation for cracking under pressure goes back a long way...

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

I'd not seen that article, but here is what it said...

AIS? Really? His last statement in red there is the key. No, Gerald, it's not impressive if it's not accurate.

So, if anyone is using dubious data to support an argument, it's you. I'm not nearly as willing to take Gerald and John's word for it as you are. Let's see some proof from a reliable measurement source. It's not that hard. SGP does it every day.

At the end of the day, I don't discount that these AC75s are capable of doing 50 knots. They are super powerful and they foil. So they should be able to.

That does not make them, however, good race boats. We've seen that in spades as every single team has found the bottom with these ridiculous things - and have a hell of a time trying to keep them consistently fast in maneuvers.

That's my point. And it's backed up by data - not some chucklehead looking at AIS.

Total deflection. You challenged the boat speeds and the apparent winds they might produce and I provided you with an indication.  I am not interested in buying into or debating your new self imposed argument about how good race boats AC75’s are.

And FWIW Solent spring tides could give up to +/- 4 knot difference between (AIS) SOG and through the water boat speed depending on direction of travel and location on the Solent at the time of the AIS data points.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Again - we can only go by what we see. The conditions in this photo are not the level we see in the AM photo above.

Until we have video and actual conditions data, I'd have to give it to AM at this point based on the evidence provided. They were out in it while the Emiratis were in the barn. And even then, we're still talking moments in time - not the extended control needed for racing (back to the problem with the class itself).

There's only one way to cut through the BS and theoretical/hopeful postulation. Proof.

1/ You don't know Auckland.

2/ The only evidence we've seen so far from video taken by people on the ground in Auckland, shows AM lacking either technique, power or control, causing issues with their maneuvering.

3/ You are the last person that should talk about proof. Its not something you're good at providing. I've been waiting for weeks for the proof of your statement that AM were pulling off maneuvers 6 months ago as crisp, clean and fast as Te Aihe was on July 15th.

Its been weeks of stalling from you, and you still haven't produced it. 

• Like 2

From everything we are seeing and yet so early these things will obliterate an AC50 especially around a course where they will have higher sustained speeds through a tack. To be fair though we are comparing a 50 foot cat vs a 75 foot mono albeit less a wing sail. All we need is close racing to make it a great spectacle. All 4 teams competing are well funded and sailed so it should be close enough to make it a spectacle. Conversely could we see one team a way ahead like the Kiwis?

7 hours ago, Sidecar said:

And all boats will have seen way over 50kt AWS, with those huge rigs. Impressive.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sidecar said:

Total deflection. You challenged the boat speeds and the apparent winds they might produce and I provided you with an indication.  I am not interested in buying into or debating your new self imposed argument about how good race boats AC75’s are.

And FWIW Solent spring tides could give up to +/- 4 knot difference between (AIS) SOG and through the water boat speed depending on direction of travel and location on the Solent at the time of the AIS data points.

What you provided was a second-hand, hearsay guess at boatspeed. If that's enough for you to accept - fine. But even you undermine your own point with your last sentence - which means you at least understand some of why I don't buy it. So, I too am uninterested in debating guess work - which is pretty much all I see from you and the other posters above.

There is more than enough evidence to prove my points - photos, videos, direct statements from the actual stakeholders. And I've provided that in my arguments while I've been around here. There's almost none to prove the opposite. So you guys produce the actual proof for your arguments and we'll talk. Oh, and words like "will" and "will have" and "seagulls" and "Gerald said..." are clear indicators that you don't have it.

My point stands. And we'll only see who is right when the racing happens - if it happens.

• Downvote 1

SGP data analysts are very clear and upfront  that they correct boat speed using detailed tide/current models and feed that corrected speed to the boat tactical software displays. If you doubt this, ask one.

Because models are obviously +/- something I would not get too excited unless I was a marketer over a couple of tenths of knots over 50. Let's  see how the AC75s do with their corrected speeds. And the newly tweaked F50s. 

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

SGP data analysts are very clear and upfront  that they correct boat speed using detailed tide/current models and feed that corrected speed to the boat tactical software displays. If you doubt this, ask one.

Because models are obviously +/- something I would not get too excited unless I was a marketer over a couple of tenths of knots over 50. Let's  see how the AC75s do with their corrected speeds. And the newly tweaked F50s. 

AIS doesn’t...... Read the cite given.