Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

psycho tiller

I'm starting to wonder now if, like Niagara Falls, her references to "White squalls" in the "Devil's Triangle" and other outlandish claims/language, aren't in fact sexually-charged metaphors...

And, to get back on topic, now that I've read the entire, utterly salacious and brilliant scandal-mongering Daily Mail article and viewed the nautical photographs therein, I realize why she never went up the rig to address the rigging issue.  She only had what looks to me like a very difficult to use bosun's chair...and stilettos are probably the wrong kinda shoes for mast work, too...

IMG_5298.JPG

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tane said:
13 hours ago, RKoch said:

She lived aboard, it might be some kind of portable washer. Although, judging by appearances she might just be a pack-rat that collected junk.

thanx RKoch, a new word to add to the vocabulary of an anglophile: "pack-rat"! hilarious! another dreary day SA brightens!!!

You have much to learn, grasshopper. For our next exercise in vocabulary expansion, we will add "ass-carrot"

There's a day-brightener for ya

FB- Doug

1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

You have much to learn, grasshopper. For our next exercise in vocabulary expansion, we will add "ass-carrot"

There's a day-brightener for ya

FB- Doug

“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?" And women.

3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

You never heard the work pack-rat before?  Must be living under a rock somewhere, I reckon??

in Austria Sir, with english being my second language that I started learning at schol with 10 years of age! may I ask which other languages you are proficient in apart from primitive ("I reckon") english?

5 minutes ago, tane said:

in Austria Sir, with english being my second language that I started learning at schol with 10 years of age! may I ask which other languages you are proficient in apart from primitic ("I reckon") english?

it's not obvious from your profile that English is not your first language, and no offense was intended!  I was conceived in Austria, but sadly have a little French, but only very little.  Je le parle, meilleur que je le comprend....

Ok, serious question for sailors in Hawaii (Whisper?)  - when one isn't whipping one's sub's ass with a black leather riding crop, and in your spare time you end up accidentally driving your boat aground on a Hawaiian reef, etc., (as Appel did earlier), how does one pay for the presumably very expensive removal of the hull, environmental clean up fee, etc.?  As I understand it, the state of Hawaii imposes hefty fines/fees for boats that go up on reefs there.

Is there an insurance policy available to boats in Hawaii for such accidents?  I can only imagine the fees involved if you had to pay out of pocket.  What if you sail into Hawaii (as I'm planning) temporarily - is there some sort of insurance available so that you're not bankrupted by towing/clean up fees if you're unlucky enough to run aground there?

7 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:
Ok, serious question for sailors in Hawaii (Whisper?)  - when one isn't whipping one's sub's ass with a black leather riding crop, and in your spare time you end up accidentally driving your boat aground on a Hawaiian reef, etc., (as Appel did earlier), how does one pay for the presumably very expensive removal of the hull, environmental clean up fee, etc.?  As I understand it, the state of Hawaii imposes hefty fines/fees for boats that go up on reefs there.

Is there an insurance policy available to boats in Hawaii for such accidents?  I can only imagine the fees involved if you had to pay out of pocket.  What if you sail into Hawaii (as I'm planning) temporarily - is there some sort of insurance available so that you're not bankrupted by towing/clean up fees if you're unlucky enough to run aground there?

Photo seems to show boat wrecked on a jetty, not a reef. IDF if fines are applicable or assessed. I think she had insurance on that boat, that may have paid for removal. 

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Photo seems to show boat wrecked on a jetty, not a reef. IDF if fines are applicable or assessed. I think she had insurance on that boat, that may have paid for removal. 

My question is specific - does anyone with Hawaii knowledge know if such local/short term insurance is available?

16 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

My question is specific - does anyone with Hawaii knowledge know if such local/short term insurance is available?

Whisper would probably know. My own guess is that insurance in Hawaii is probably readily available, but limits how far offshore it covers. I would think policies would cover salvage costs, up to the coverage limit. IDK if there's liability coverage that would cover environmental fines. 

2 hours ago, tane said:

in Austria Sir, with english being my second language that I started learning at schol with 10 years of age! may I ask which other languages you are proficient in apart from primitive ("I reckon") english?

I admire you Austrians.  Quiet, pretty country.  You have managed to convince the world that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian.  Well done!

58 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The news article stated Appel had insurance:

"According to the Department of Land and Natural Resources' Oahu boating district manager, Meghan Statts, the vessel had insurance and the company hired Vessel Assist to immediately begin removal of the vessel."

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

If you’re a grifter, you find a way.

I’d have to check my insurance policy, but I think wreck removal is covered.

Didn’t I read in the article that vessel assist is usually involved in these situations?  And she stiffed the local guy for most of the cost?  I wonder if my Vessel Assist towing coverage would cover a vertical tow?

Sorry, I’ve been in Hawaii less than a year and I haven’t beached the boat yet.  I guess I should look into that.

9 minutes ago, Whisper said:

If you’re a grifter, you find a way.

I’d have to check my insurance policy, but I think wreck removal is covered.

Didn’t I read in the article that vessel assist is usually involved in these situations?  And she stiffed the local guy for most of the cost?  I wonder if my Vessel Assist towing coverage would cover a vertical tow?

Sorry, I’ve been in Hawaii less than a year and I haven’t beached the boat yet.  I guess I should look into that.

I've heard/read that because of the DLNR or whatever it's called assessing big fees in the event of something happening --e.g., a mooring dragging off Lahaina Yacht Club and your boat going aground, or if it's your fault and you crash on a jetty/reef-- people cruising through, or racing there, get insurance to protect themselves specifically just for, and while in, Hawaii (I.e, if passing through to Polynesia, or back to North America).  Don't know if such exists, and I'd like to know - planning Hawaii crossing in a summer or two.  

20 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Achy Breaky News: This just in from Hollywood! The two gals have been signed to release their previously written screen play but unfortunately WILL NOT play themselves in the proposed lesbian movie,  A Salt and Pepper Sea. My exclusive on Access Hollywood,  suggests the leading characters will be played by Jane Fonda and Precious: image.png.7cb221a1d6e5246cbe52b6ec93771f76.png

image.png.01d572808cbad51b0d43ecddb14c5e25.png

The dogs will be played by Oscar winner Kevin Spacey and producer Harvey Weinstein.

This is funny.

4 hours ago, tane said:

Question: What do you call a person who only speaks one language?

Answer: American

17 minutes ago, mookiesurfs said:

Anyone who goes "Out to Eat" in Kalifornia Speaks at least a couple languages ;)

4 hours ago, chinabald said:
12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

In her book, somehow she themes this ^^ into erotica. I've not read the whole thing, only excerpts.

Just the sections that someone else highlighted? 

No, just the free previews on Amazon.

3 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Somewhere I read that a 3rd party removed the wreck and eventually got paid pennies on the dollar for the costs by Appell.

2 hours ago, soak_ed said:

I admire you Austrians.  Quiet, pretty country.  You have managed to convince the world that Hitler was German and Beethoven was Austrian.  Well done!

"quiet"? -yeah so much excitement one has to go look for it. "pretty"? - yeah in a landlocked sort of way

& as to the germans: the perfection of 80 million people just across the border sometimes is a bit hard to suffer gladly: they are better than the austrians in just  about every way, jees, they even have a state-budget-surplus (austria only ever had a deficit as long as I can remember & I'm 62 in a fortnight)

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I'm starting to wonder now if, like Niagara Falls, her references to "White squalls" in the "Devil's Triangle" and other outlandish claims/language, aren't in fact sexually-charged metaphors...

And, to get back on topic, now that I've read the entire, utterly salacious and brilliant scandal-mongering Daily Mail article and viewed the nautical photographs therein, I realize why she never went up the rig to address the rigging issue.  She only had what looks to me like a very difficult to use bosun's chair...and stilettos are probably the wrong kinda shoes for mast work, too...

IMG_5298.JPG

If one was to google her screen name that is on this picture speedqueen08. One might find a number of questionable profiles on a number of websites. Be advised, if one was to do this. Make sure you are incognito and your virus software up to date. This particular picture might be one of the more tame ones you might find. 

5 minutes ago, chinabald said:

If one was to google her screen name that is on this picture speedqueen08. One might find a number of questionable profiles on a number of websites. Be advised, if one was to do this. Make sure you are incognito and your virus software up to date. This particular picture might be one of the more tame ones you might find. 

What I find questionable is the skipper's stated preference for 10+ inches (14" for balls deep, she says) in her profile (here: https://passion.com/profile/speedqueen08?pid=p38260&pg=1).  

But she took off with a chick.  And never made a serious, concerted effort at self-rescue (I.e., jury-rig).  So, 5 months straight with Tasha, who has (I can only assume) 0 inches.  Makes no sense.

13 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

What I find questionable is the skipper's stated preference for 10+ inches (14" for balls deep, she says) in her profile (here: https://passion.com/profile/speedqueen08?pid=p38260&pg=1).  

But she took off with a chick.  And never made a serious, concerted effort at self-rescue (I.e., jury-rig).  So, 5 months straight with Tasha, who has (I can only assume) 0 inches.  Makes no sense.

I think she goes both ways, as long as she's dominant.

19 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Barracuda are easy to catch and come pre-greased

downside might attract sharks

1 hour ago, tane said:

"quiet"? -yeah so much excitement one has to go look for it. "pretty"? - yeah in a landlocked sort of way

& as to the germans: the perfection of 80 million people just across the border sometimes is a bit hard to suffer gladly: they are better than the austrians in just  about every way, jees, they even have a state-budget-surplus (austria only ever had a deficit as long as I can remember & I'm 62 in a fortnight)

Yes, I lived in Germany for 11 years total, I wouldn't do it again.   Maybe we are twins from different mothers, my birthday was last week.

So, cruising around with my Tor browser, I read in one of her blogs (that I spent a total of 5 minutes perusing):

"You might be intelligent if:

. . .Since a magnitude 9.0 earthquake is 100 times stronger than a magnitude 6 earthquake. . ."

IIRC, the scale for earthquakes is logarithmic, like for pH.  That makes a 9 *1000* times stronger than a 6.  I might be more intelligent if I don't go back and read any more.  I feel icky and stupider.

In the Matt Lauer interview, I understood Appel to say that the handheld GPS she showed Lauer was "one of the GPSs we had" and "it shows we were no where near Tahiti".  (at 2:55)

The Garmin GPS Appel showed Lauer looks like a 76 which I don't think is sold any more.

Did she take a GPS off the boat?  And as commented earlier, how could that unit hold 5 mos. of tracking data?  Also, she would have had to had the unit plugged into 12v power since it would have eaten a bunch of batteries in 5 mos.

26 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

In the Matt Lauer interview, I understood Appel to say that the handheld GPS she showed Lauer was "one of the GPSs we had" and "it shows we were no where near Tahiti".  (at 2:55)

The Garmin GPS Appel showed Lauer looks like a 76 which I don't think is sold any more.

Did she take a GPS off the boat?  And as commented earlier, how could that unit hold 5 mos. of tracking data?  Also, she would have had to had the unit plugged into 12v power since it would have eaten a bunch of batteries in 5 mos.

Your first mistake is assuming anything she says is true.

35 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

It did look like a GPS map 76 and that unit can in no way hold 5 months worth of tracking data. But at least she has a gps and knows what it is (apparently).

4 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:

Hmmm...  I’m American and half assed speak three. The stereotype is pretty fair though. There’s nothing worse than being in another country and the guy standing next to you thinks it helps if he speaks slower and louder. 

I’ll still admit, the most useful phrase I know is “I’m sorry my Spanish/German is very bad. Do you speak English?” It’s amazing how many people will pretend not to understand the silly American, but warm up immediately when they realize you’re at least trying to be polite in their country. 

^^^^^^^ That might be what she was referring to about preferring a Much Longer Shaft

that surfboard looks to have had all the SEXWAX licked off of it

7 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

I've heard/read that because of the DLNR or whatever it's called assessing big fees in the event of something happening --e.g., a mooring dragging off Lahaina Yacht Club and your boat going aground, or if it's your fault and you crash on a jetty/reef-- people cruising through, or racing there, get insurance to protect themselves specifically just for, and while in, Hawaii (I.e, if passing through to Polynesia, or back to North America).  Don't know if such exists, and I'd like to know - planning Hawaii crossing in a summer or two.  

Hawaii does have insurance coverage and policy limit requirements.  I forgot what they are, but I knew them last year.  My broker knew the requirements and put together a standard Hawaii policy.

3 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

No, watch again.  She said the one they used is on the boat.  Yet she held up the examplar to give weight to her statement they were no where near Tahiti when the Coast Guard was in contact.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

By April 2017, Appel had saved up the $5,000 she needed for a years' worth of food for the voyage – but had not raised enough cash to fix the Sea Nymph's elderly mast 

Can anyone find the Pic of Hot Rod junior doing this? 

YCMTSU.

1 hour ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

The dog has a woody?!?

I believe the correct canine erect term is "mongrel", or for non English pricks, bâtard, mischling, mestizo, bastardo, blandras or дворняжка to name just a few.

9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Strap ons come in many sizes.

So, fun fact- I’ve got a buddy who’s currently 150+/- nm WSW  of Bermuda on a swan 44 that’s lost its rig completely and also suffered a lost prop. He’s under jury rig at the moment making 4-6kts towards bda- spin pole for mast-  jury rigged sails, one very seasick crew aboard- 

hes in contact with bda radio- as well as key people on the mainland- no emergency, seamanship is prevailing

eta bda within the next 24 hours barring being attacked by sharks teaching their young and the odd force 11 sleep storm..

but hey- it’s not like he had a bent bolt on a spreader bracket or a short in the ignition system. He’s just mildly inconvenienced by, you know, losing the rig and forward propulsion. 

1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

So, fun fact- I’ve got a buddy who’s currently 150+/- nm WSW  of Bermuda on a swan 44 that’s lost its rig completely and also suffered a lost prop. He’s under jury rig at the moment making 4-6kts towards bda- spin pole for mast-  jury rigged sails, one very seasick crew aboard- 

hes in contact with bda radio- as well as key people on the mainland- no emergency, seamanship is prevailing

eta bda within the next 24 hours barring being attacked by sharks teaching their young and the odd force 11 sleep storm..

but hey- it’s not like he had a bent bolt on a spreader bracket or a short in the ignition system. He’s just mildly inconvenienced by, you know, losing the rig and forward propulsion. 

Big deal, he's still got a rudder. Tell him to saw that off and then I'll be impressed.

1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

Your buddy is such a twit. No possibility of a book or Hollywood deal. No endless SA thread, even. How is he ever going to come out ahead? </SARCASM> Good on him & good luck, too. A real sailor.

6 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

He should be okay so long as he stays out of their living room

Ironic as sharks living rooms are just like grandmother’s living room-  generaly unexplored and mostly covered in plastic...

41 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Ironic as sharks living rooms are just like grandmother’s living room-  generaly unexplored and mostly covered in plastic...

Sharks living room is fine, it's their dining room to be worried about.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Swan 44's came in 3 versions around 25 years apart. The first a S&S in early 70's. The last a Frers. The latter a quick cruiser.

And all would do 6 knots uphill, and downhill. Regardless of extra sail area downwind. :)

Right now he’s making 3kts and the wind has clocked right making pointing difficult, as of 8pm his cog is 135 and his hdg to bda is 75°.. 

looking like he will try to get as close as he can and hopefully pick up a tow- 

hes just over 100nm out. 

Wind over 20, seas 6-9’. 

9 hours ago, shaggy said:

I think he was using a shovel, so winning!!

yep was a shovel, cant help but wonder  how long that dog spent roughly in that position over those months though...........

6 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Right now he’s making 3kts and the wind has clocked right making pointing difficult, as of 8pm his cog is 135 and his hdg to bda is 75°.. 

looking like he will try to get as close as he can and hopefully pick up a tow- 

hes just over 100nm out. 

Wind over 20, seas 6-9’. 

Keep it coming US,

more interesting than this numpty.  

Losing a rig, prop, and making it work enough to continue without outside assistance, that's a sailor.  

3 hours ago, 167149 said:

yep was a shovel, cant help but wonder  how long that dog spent roughly in that position over those months though...........

Well that is easy just divide the amount of peanut butter and or hummus (the fat one was a vegetarian tight) by 2.  X=pb+ xmonths at sea /amount of BS she is saying and you might have something.  

3 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Keep it coming US,

more interesting than this numpty.  

Losing a rig, prop, and making it work enough to continue without outside assistance, that's a sailor.  

Yep especially contrasted with the # of abandoned boats with lesser problems we're usually reading about. GPS made it possible for inexperienced folks to become RTW sailors, or not if something goes wrong. Most of us would be too embarrassed to go on nat'l TV with that story.

Jen's 0 for 2 on boats we know about and says she wants to go again. WTF.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Yep especially contrasted with the # of abandoned boats with lesser problems we're usually reading about. GPS made it possible for inexperienced folks to become RTW sailors, or not if something goes wrong. Most of us would be too embarrassed to go on nat'l TV with that story.

How many boats has Rimus trashed?  These people make Reid Stowe look like the real deal!! LOL!

As of 8am- still making ESE cog. Need ENE... rigged up killer reaching jib- (his words) 

sick crew feeling better- sarcasm and humor coming thru in messages- still trudging onward- should be under 100mi wsw of bda-

mote to follow

Name withheld at this time- the right people know about the situation- no need to alarm anyone who can’t do anything- 

once their fate is determined and everyone is safe, names will be released. 

14 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

As of 8am- still making ESE cog. Need ENE... rigged up killer reaching jib- (his words) 

sick crew feeling better- sarcasm and humor coming thru in messages- still trudging onward- should be under 100mi wsw of bda-

Windy.com shows wind veering to E in 24 hours, hopefully that will allow them to tack for and lay BDA. 

Yep- plan is to get as Far East as possible by 9pm then start thinking about a tack to the North.... avg sog is up to 4kts... COG is still 135, losing bearing on bda at the moment but as I was just told, “she points like an Irwin, best twa is >70°”. 

Oh nooooooo they are spreading, now an Canadian who bought a boat in the UK, left Uk and could not even manage to sail to The Netherlands, and spend 3 days drifting till he got scared by the traffic and send up a flare, no communications, no sailing skills etc. every canadian feeling guilty because the rescueboat is non govermental, buy some dutch xmas cards https://www.reddingwinkel.nl/  (just for fun, I know enough stupid cloggy's around the world doing stupid stuff)

20171111CuckooMutty001.jpg?w=700&h=470

https://www.knrm.nl/nieuws/knrm-reddingstation-hoek-van-holland/rode-flare-van-zeiljacht-42-nm-west-van-hoek-van-holland-foto

Canadian! Wot does one expect!

Seriously tho, the US territorial limit is 12 NM (13.8 real miles) off low tide line. Here in NC, everyday folks regularly go 20-40+ miles offshore just to play for the day, so the limit needs to be more, let's say 100 real miles offshore is the dividing line. Troubles within 100 milles? we'll go save ya. Beyond? ... well if you're going that far out, ya better be prepared to handle what comes yer way.

It is drifting now only 25 miles off the coast, coastguard posts positions, will soon be picked up by either government or private parties.

As the Skipper (63 yrs old) is off the boat its now for someone up for grabs, though its a bit windy at the moment.

1 hour ago, LeoV said:

Oh nooooooo they are spreading, now an Canadian who bought a boat in the UK, left Uk and could not even manage to sail to The Netherlands, and spend 3 days drifting till he got scared by the traffic and send up a flare, no communications, no sailing skills etc. every canadian feeling guilty because the rescueboat is non govermental, buy some dutch xmas cards https://www.reddingwinkel.nl/  (just for fun, I know enough stupid cloggy's around the world doing stupid stuff)

20171111CuckooMutty001.jpg?w=700&h=470

https://www.knrm.nl/nieuws/knrm-reddingstation-hoek-van-holland/rode-flare-van-zeiljacht-42-nm-west-van-hoek-van-holland-foto

Hell, they can't even get aboard without needing a rescue. Ish, was that you?? Just kidding... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/oak-bay-water-rescue-1.4399263

Blame that Keep Turning Left guy's videos... illererate kanuckistanis from the far Commonwealth visually seduced into the adventure...he makes it look easy;)  Keep Turning Left

11 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Well we learned about the packs of tiger sharks training their young and why empty boats emerge from the Devil's Triangle with matching momma and pup tiger shark tail slap marks on the hulls.

Just think what we'll learn next time!

I'm browsing The Blonde's perspective at the link above.  Did the authorities shake-up radio announcements?  Gone is sécurité?  'EPIRB' added?  The three she lists below are now varying types of distress calls?  Bye bye navigational hazards losing  sécurité.  I liked that one.   Made me feel more cosmopolitan.

'There is a definite distinction but all three types of communications: MAYDAY, EPIRB and Pahn Pahn are varying types of distress calls.'

ALOHA WORLD!
I want to thank everyone for their support. Our journey was a fantastic experience until we met the fishing vessel. Think about it - if we were "RESCUED" by the fishing vessel, why did we need to be RESCUED from them by the US NAVY???

The media has spent alot of time adding spin to a story that needed none. Many of the facts are omitted and many obfuscations surround the tale.
Hard to believe, but we have not signed a book or movie deal as the ordeal in itself is still continuing... the last portion being: truth in media, fact checking

We were never "LOST" - we knew where we were - but because the 4' antenna was missing - we were "Lost" to the rest of the world.

I know there is confusion about the initial storm. We were offshore more than 100 miles before the first raindrop hit us. Now, confirmation from the NWS is coming out in support of a piece of the claim on May 3, 2017. I also have supporting data from the raw satellite feed showing an actual storm. My mast is 57' tall - call it 60' for the purposes of discussion. (That is 6 stories tall.) The spreaders are about 35' off the deck. I experienced waves on May 5th starting about 5 am of which 2/3 of them reached more than 1/2 way up to the spreaders. The remaining 1/3 were either higher or lower. You do the math. 

We circled Christmas Island, tried to fix the rigging damage and were denied entry. Went to the Cooks and got in a ten knot west current that without full sails we could not safely navigate so we decided to turn back towards Hawaii.

We got into a white squall. That sent us to the Devil's Triangle where we met blue water sharks - which behave quite differently than near shore sharks. I did write a story about them and will put that out with pictures soon. The video I took from under the boat before abandoning her shows many chunks of pretty blue paint missing. It didn't flake off - these were things that hit us.

We left that area and went back to Hawaii - getting as far north as 8 degrees North and 156 degrees West - under Maui but the rigging would not hold.

We went West with the waves and current, using kiteboarding kites (Thank you Bernie), to help steer us to a TINY 7.4km island owned by the US Military called Wake Island. We talked with them and asked for help, but it did not come.

We then decided to go North and catch the bottom of one of the typhoons producing a WNW swell so we could go over the top of the French Frigate Shoals and back to Hawaii - that is what produces the famous North Shore Surfing and October was a banger month - we got it before you guys did!

That is when we met the fishing vessel - they were running from the storm. There were about 20+ Fillipino, Indonesian and Tawainese individuals on the boat. None spoke English. These people kill beautiful things in an incredibly harsh manner for a living - so you can have fish.

They showed me W26 typhoon hitting Japan. We agreed to go to the nearest island to make repairs (Minami) so they offered help. When they learned there were no men aboard, their eyes filled with the sights of fresh meat and dessert.

I know of no safe towing experience where a 100 ton steel boat crashes into a 25 ton fiberglass boat on purpose. I have video of the boat from the day before and the day after meeting the fishing vessel. The damage done in less than 24 hours was incredible. What can knock off a 3/8" steel bow anchor roller out in the ocean??? It was more incredible that we were still floating after being treated like a marlin.

The EPIRB issue is moot. I sent out a PR statement from Okinawa - which I will put up with the other documentation but the press didn't use it because it did not fit THEIR NARRATIVE of our story.

The USS Ashland experience was amazing. My first glimpse of safety being M-16 rifles pointed at me and then those people became some of our best friends. Go back and listen to CO Steve Wasson tell how the Navy was given coordinates 60 miles away from where they actually found us...

XO German will make a fantastic CO, again, on his next ship. Many mahalos to Seaman Aves of Ewa Beach and Chief Don of Kalihi - it was great having O'ahu, Hawaii to help us feel our way around the ship and make us feel aloha comfortable. I have many more to thank but that will come with their chapter.

We also want to thank the US Consulate, without whose help, we could not have made it in a land where I don't speak the language.

The Quarantine officer, MR. YAMAGUCHI, is the most professional and caring human a person in our situation could have encountered. He came in on a holiday and two of his days off to let me be with the dogs. I am grateful.

We are in NYC in Times Square and it is very different than being under the carpet of stars with water lapping at the hull.

I will start putting out video and stories at a blogspot (to be named) after I can get some sleep.

We won't be able to return to Hawaii until the Hawaiian dogs can get two sets of rabies shots to fulfill the Hawaii Quarantine requirement.

I am still hopeful I will get SEA NYMPH back - she has made it through 3 tsunamis since we left her and to the best of my knowledge - my home is still floationg.

I modified the hull over a two year peiod of time and paid for experts to do the mast, antenna, radio hookups and rigging. 

Aloha
Jen, Tasha, Val and Zeus

189830_211266232219148_1969802_n.jpg?oh=

5 days ago... It is odd that the media would report there were no storms if.... and we did not hear either of the following broadcasts - we heard the one posted after 6:30 pm on May 3, 2017

Aloha Ms Appel,

The Sea Nymph has not been located, nor have we received any alerts from your EPIRB (2DCC444622FFBFF).

The Coast Guard did not issue any special marine information broadcasts for weather on May 3, 2017.

The National Weather Service in Honolulu did issue a "SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR THE ALENUIHAHA AND PAILOLO CHANNELS ... MAALAEA BAY ... AND WATERS SOUTH AND WEST OF THE BIG ISLAND". The 9:28am marine weather message predicted northeast to east winds 25 to 30 knts and seas of 7 to 10 ft. The marine weather message was broadcast again at 3:31 p.m. on May 3.

Thank you,
Joint Rescue Coordination Center Honolulu

While in Okinawa, on November 1, 2017 I sent out this Press Release to all the news outlets that had interviewed us on the USS Ashland to clarify the EPIRB issue. Read it for yourself since I am not aware of any outlet that put it out in full.

November 1, 2017
For public distribution and use:

The USCG Honolulu Sector receives many calls a day. They have limited resources for the enormous span of water their area covers. A fair amount of those calls are for people in the process of losing their boat and swimming in the ocean. While I do not deny that a broken spreader, blown backstay and non-functioning motor are all disabling situations - and we had all at the same time when we were at the Equator and 160 degrees West, our boat was still afloat; we had food, water and limited maneuvering capability due to fortifying the broken items at the mast. (Yes, I climbed the mast in open ocean to make hack patches so we could continue as any good sailor would.)

I have been on other boats that have dismasted, had motor problems, lost steering, taking on water, ripped sails and just about every problem a boater can have. (The more anyone does something the more experience they will have solving problems within the subject matter - whether it be a lawyer, doctor or sailor. Most people become better at their jobs over time through experience.)

I have seen broken boat pieces floating in the ocean. EPIRB calls are for people who are in an immediate life threatening scenario. It would be shameful to call on the USCG resources when not in imminent peril and allow someone else to perish because of it. Every sailor knows that. Land people do not; so please do not allow the spin of ignorance to cloud good judgement.

The Pahn Pahn distress calls that we made daily after we realized we could not return the last 726 nautical miles to Oahu from roughly 8 degrees North and 156 degrees West - that went unanswered and allowed us to reach Wake Island - were determined to be due to antenna issues that only allowed for a 1-2 nautical mile of reception. We thought we had about 200 miles reception and were notified of the discrepancy once aboard the Navy vessel. 

Had we known our calls were going nowhere - we would have used the EPIRB - but hindsight is 20/20. 

Please keep in mind that Wake Island could have towed us less than 3km into their turning basin and the fishing vessel/Navy rescue would never have happened. We would have replaced the broken rigging with the rigging replacements we had on board while in the safety of a harbor and gotten motor parts and a new antenna then would have continued on our journey with no press involved. 

We were close enough to the reef at Peacock Point to have discussions with`Big Island` on Channel 16 at Wake Island and they responded that they were aware we needed assistance. That factoid is actually pretty impressive because we had navigated over 2000 miles to reach a 7.4km island in the literal `middle of nowhere` at roughly 19 degrees North and 166 degrees East.

Pahn Pahn calls, which we made, are different than EPIRB or MAYDAY calls. Pahn Pahn calls let the USCG and other boats know that the vessel has issues but they are not immediately life threatening. There is a definite distinction but all three types of communications: MAYDAY, EPIRB and Pahn Pahn are varying types of distress calls.

As for other boats not seeing our flares... the other boats in the ocean missed the flares that were shot when the Titanic sunk, too.

(Ours were the smaller flares not the fireworks kind.) 

Even the Navy vessel did not see us until they were 4 nautical miles from us and at 4 nautical miles away, the USS Ashland was still unable to hear our radio transmissions. Our view of the horizon is 8 nautical miles on the deck of Sea Nymph. We could see the USS Ashland but the USS Ashland could not see us - we were too small and blended in to the ocean between the wave swells. (Believe it or not, the ocean is not flat and a 50 foot object can disappear from the horizon between waves, which the USS Ashland disclosed to us upon our arrival aboard.)

Had we not had the benefit of the `help` from the longliner, we would have continued to progress across the Pacific Ocean to Japan or the Northern Marianas or possibly catching a westerly current north and west over the French Frigate Shoals and into the northern part of Hawaii.

Incidentally, those westerlies we were hoping to catch when we left Wake Island are the reason the North Shore of Oahu is the surfing mecca of the world in the wintertime. Pipeline, The Vans Triple Crown and The Eddie - http://www.surfline.com/…/data-crunching-early-major-swell…/

We knew if we could navigate Sea Nymph to Wake Island we could also navigate her back home with the right wind and swell in absentia of assistance.

However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, crushing the anchor roller, taking out the bow pulpit, bending the forestay bracket, ripping off the life lines and incurring structural damage to the deck to hull joint, we had no choice but to call a MAYDAY. They had already tagged the side and back of our boat, ripping the wind generator pole off of the deck, ripped the life ring and holder from the stern pulpit, breaking chocks and lifting cleats when attempting a side tie tow. We cut ourselves loose from the fishing vessel and they sent someone to climb aboard to reattach us. It wasn`t until we disclosed that the US Navy was coming to rescue us that they moved away from our vessel. Had the Navy not responded in a timely manner, the next `hit` would have done us in. Even the Navy was a bit surprised at how fast the fishing vessel took off when they saw the USS Ashland on the horizon, which did not allow for a proper hand-off procedure from a rescuing vessel.

We did a MAYDAY call for assistance only when it was absolutely necessary and help did arrive because the resources were available. We are grateful for that.

58 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

While in Okinawa, on November 1, 2017 I sent out this Press Release to all the news outlets that had interviewed us on the USS Ashland to clarify the EPIRB issue. Read it for yourself since I am not aware of any outlet that put it out in full.

November 1, 2017
For public distribution and use:

The USCG Honolulu Sector receives many calls a day. They have limited resources for the enormous span of water their area covers. A fair amount of those calls are for people in the process of losing their boat and swimming in the ocean. While I do not deny that a broken spreader, blown backstay and non-functioning motor are all disabling situations - and we had all at the same time when we were at the Equator and 160 degrees West, our boat was still afloat; we had food, water and limited maneuvering capability due to fortifying the broken items at the mast. (Yes, I climbed the mast in open ocean to make hack patches so we could continue as any good sailor would.)

I have been on other boats that have dismasted, had motor problems, lost steering, taking on water, ripped sails and just about every problem a boater can have. (The more anyone does something the more experience they will have solving problems within the subject matter - whether it be a lawyer, doctor or sailor. Most people become better at their jobs over time through experience.)

I have seen broken boat pieces floating in the ocean. EPIRB calls are for people who are in an immediate life threatening scenario. It would be shameful to call on the USCG resources when not in imminent peril and allow someone else to perish because of it. Every sailor knows that. Land people do not; so please do not allow the spin of ignorance to cloud good judgement.

The Pahn Pahn distress calls that we made daily after we realized we could not return the last 726 nautical miles to Oahu from roughly 8 degrees North and 156 degrees West - that went unanswered and allowed us to reach Wake Island - were determined to be due to antenna issues that only allowed for a 1-2 nautical mile of reception. We thought we had about 200 miles reception and were notified of the discrepancy once aboard the Navy vessel. 

Had we known our calls were going nowhere - we would have used the EPIRB - but hindsight is 20/20. 

Please keep in mind that Wake Island could have towed us less than 3km into their turning basin and the fishing vessel/Navy rescue would never have happened. We would have replaced the broken rigging with the rigging replacements we had on board while in the safety of a harbor and gotten motor parts and a new antenna then would have continued on our journey with no press involved. 

We were close enough to the reef at Peacock Point to have discussions with`Big Island` on Channel 16 at Wake Island and they responded that they were aware we needed assistance. That factoid is actually pretty impressive because we had navigated over 2000 miles to reach a 7.4km island in the literal `middle of nowhere` at roughly 19 degrees North and 166 degrees East.

Pahn Pahn calls, which we made, are different than EPIRB or MAYDAY calls. Pahn Pahn calls let the USCG and other boats know that the vessel has issues but they are not immediately life threatening. There is a definite distinction but all three types of communications: MAYDAY, EPIRB and Pahn Pahn are varying types of distress calls.

As for other boats not seeing our flares... the other boats in the ocean missed the flares that were shot when the Titanic sunk, too.

(Ours were the smaller flares not the fireworks kind.) 

Even the Navy vessel did not see us until they were 4 nautical miles from us and at 4 nautical miles away, the USS Ashland was still unable to hear our radio transmissions. Our view of the horizon is 8 nautical miles on the deck of Sea Nymph. We could see the USS Ashland but the USS Ashland could not see us - we were too small and blended in to the ocean between the wave swells. (Believe it or not, the ocean is not flat and a 50 foot object can disappear from the horizon between waves, which the USS Ashland disclosed to us upon our arrival aboard.)

Had we not had the benefit of the `help` from the longliner, we would have continued to progress across the Pacific Ocean to Japan or the Northern Marianas or possibly catching a westerly current north and west over the French Frigate Shoals and into the northern part of Hawaii.

Incidentally, those westerlies we were hoping to catch when we left Wake Island are the reason the North Shore of Oahu is the surfing mecca of the world in the wintertime. Pipeline, The Vans Triple Crown and The Eddie - http://www.surfline.com/…/data-crunching-early-major-swell…/

We knew if we could navigate Sea Nymph to Wake Island we could also navigate her back home with the right wind and swell in absentia of assistance.

However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, crushing the anchor roller, taking out the bow pulpit, bending the forestay bracket, ripping off the life lines and incurring structural damage to the deck to hull joint, we had no choice but to call a MAYDAY. They had already tagged the side and back of our boat, ripping the wind generator pole off of the deck, ripped the life ring and holder from the stern pulpit, breaking chocks and lifting cleats when attempting a side tie tow. We cut ourselves loose from the fishing vessel and they sent someone to climb aboard to reattach us. It wasn`t until we disclosed that the US Navy was coming to rescue us that they moved away from our vessel. Had the Navy not responded in a timely manner, the next `hit` would have done us in. Even the Navy was a bit surprised at how fast the fishing vessel took off when they saw the USS Ashland on the horizon, which did not allow for a proper hand-off procedure from a rescuing vessel.

We did a MAYDAY call for assistance only when it was absolutely necessary and help did arrive because the resources were available. We are grateful for that.

Sounds like a Trump narrative.

The pictures from the Ashland don't show any of that damage she's claiming...the forestay is intact, the bow pulpit doesn't look bent, the pole on back (radar? Wind generator?) is still there. And now she's claiming a 25-30 knot 'storm' is her 3 day Force 11 storm? 

In her FV damage video the lifelines are not ripped off.

i can confidently say if there were Filipino guys on that fishing boat they'd jump to action and re-attach cut tie/tow lines.  Never tell a Filipino 'can not'.  They'll prove you wrong.  Might fuck up some stuff along the way, but damn well sure they'll figure out a way to do it.

The first storm was a massive three day down-draft.  Super Cell.  Mega Micro Burst.  Exosphere level thunder-heads.  

6 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

In her FV damage video the lifelines are not ripped off.

i can confidently say if there were Filipino guys on that fishing boat they'd jump to action and re-attach cut tie/tow lines.  Never tell a Filipino 'can not'.  They'll prove you wrong.  Might fuck up some stuff along the way, but damn well sure they'll figure out a way to do it.

The first storm was a massive three day down-draft.  Super Cell.  Mega Micro Burst.  Exosphere level thunder-heads.  

What the meteorologists call a "Blarney Storm".