Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

psycho tiller

4 hours ago, RKoch said:

The pictures from the Ashland don't show any of that damage she's claiming...the forestay is intact, the bow pulpit doesn't look bent, the pole on back (radar? Wind generator?) is still there. And now she's claiming a 25-30 knot 'storm' is her 3 day Force 11 storm? 

25-30 knots is a Force 11 storm.

On a broad reach, I just thought it was a lot of fun.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, longy said:

Hey Tank Girl - please list the pro's who worked on your boat prior to departure. They'd welcome a call from me as I was very involved with sailboats out there for many years and still know most of the talent. I was a friend of the family that originally bought your boat new & got it out to Hawaii - would love to see some pics of the interior, I saw it just before it left San Diego heading for Hi, it was mostly 2x4's & plywood at that time.

Your mast video does show a bent spreader pin, could have been replaced with any similar diameter bolt from parts. And your amsteel lashing would do Capt Rimas proud!

Tank Girl is not Jen Appel. I'm pretty sure.

Is there any video of them actually sailing the nymph.?

5 hours ago, longy said:

Hey Tank Girl - please list the pro's who worked on your boat prior to departure. They'd welcome a call from me as I was very involved with sailboats out there for many years and still know most of the talent. I was a friend of the family that originally bought your boat new & got it out to Hawaii - would love to see some pics of the interior, I saw it just before it left San Diego heading for Hi, it was mostly 2x4's & plywood at that time.

Your mast video does show a bent spreader pin, could have been replaced with any similar diameter bolt from parts. And your amsteel lashing would do Capt Rimas proud!

Longy - Their names were Juan, Jose, Jesus, Ricardo...lots of Pedros.  Never got a last name.  First ones changed sometimes, too.  They can be found at any Home Depot.  

Otherwise, I assume you're joking?  Or confused?

2 hours ago, W9GFO said:

Nice of her to document the (lack of) damage that she is claiming.

I think I now understand how writers for The Onion must feel when trying to parody today's events.

I made up a silly meme about Rimas caulking a jib. I thought it pretty funny. You know, because even Rimas wouldn't caulk a jib.

That girl made a video and at the end she shows where she caulked her jib.

OK how do I make fun of that?

"... ten knot west current....sent us to the Devil's Triangle where we met blue water sharks..."

still delirious that disgusting "lady"

btw: no need to look at the "documenting vids": the very fact that she took them (up at the spreaders!) speaks for itself: lying, scheming b...!

I know dick about sailing, but the famous Northshore swells come from winter storms in the arctic, not typhoons. Not that a typhoon doesn’t throw out a nice swell, but they got that part completely wrong, even after careful thought and preparation.

Indisputable proof Matt Laur is a nuclear powered droid.

------------

'"Well what an adventure!! So glad you two are ok, Can't wait to here the next chapter of this story. Oh by the way were you ever able to get any readings on your trip out to sea? 2764.png

Jennifer Appel almost daily - there are all part of the video log I am going through

Jennifer Appel japan is not as radioactive at the nbc studio in nyc"

------------

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Those vids were meant for people who don't know anything about what she's "documenting." She's counting on repetitive lies to create her legend. The politician's ruse.

Nice, Jen should run for office. She'll fit right in.

15 hours ago, RKoch said:

The pictures from the Ashland don't show any of that damage she's claiming...the forestay is intact, the bow pulpit doesn't look bent, the pole on back (radar? Wind generator?) is still there. And now she's claiming a 25-30 knot 'storm' is her 3 day Force 11 storm? 

It's all rather mysterious, like the Devil's Triangle.

First pic appears to show wind gen pole ok, while the second one appears to show bow pulpit ok.

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5311.JPG

To quote her:

"However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, crushing the anchor roller, taking out the bow pulpit, bending the forestay bracket, ripping off the life lines and incurring structural damage to the deck to hull joint, we had no choice but to call a MAYDAY. They had already tagged the side and back of our boat, ripping the wind generator pole off of the deck, ripped the life ring and holder from the stern pulpit..."

11 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Appel keeps calling the standing rigging halyards - a little confusing.  

Totally confusing.  Starting at 2:00 in that vid, there is a very clear shot of an intact and apparently unbent bow pulpit, which she described in writing as having been "taken out" by the fishing vessel tow.

I chalk the whole thing up to an exaggeration or, more politely, a different perception of events.  One person's towering 100' waves is another person's more realistic 20' waves, one person's it was "taken out" is another person's "oh, it got dinged slightly."  (But it does appears perfectly intact in the vid.)  I can't make heads or tails of any of it.

May be an example of the "Rashomon Effect":  completely different, conflicting interpretations of the same event (from the famous 1950s Akira Kurosawa film, "Rashomon":  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashomon_effect )

7 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think I spotted the problem with the mainsail. Halyard is run to clew, not head.

Standard storage location for the main halyard if you have a soft vang setup.  Keeps the boom from crashing to the deck if the topping lift fails.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Am I blind? What's wrong with the pin?

There's probably 2 pins. Don't see a problem with the visible one. Don't know if there's a problem with the hidden one, but it could have been easily replaced by a bolt, even one borrowed from the non-operational motor. I don't think the lashing is doing anything...it may be 'staged' to make it seem like a problem.

7 hours ago, SVTankGirl said:

Longy - Their names were Juan, Jose, Jesus, Ricardo...lots of Pedros.  Never got a last name.  First ones changed sometimes, too.  They can be found at any Home Depot.  

Otherwise, I assume you're joking?  Or confused?

She claimed to have hired "experts". They do not hang out at Homey Depo.  I spent years in the marine industry on Oahu, and as stated know any experts that might have been hired. I could with a few phone calls to the island verify any pro level work done to the boat. Your list of mexican names & allusion to HD just indicates your lack of knowledge of the scene in the islands.

So a brief look at the latest video shows spare aft masthead halyard rimas'd around the backstay , doesn't have any tension on it, lower end dangling free, not seen whether it actually tied off to anything, not visible chafe. Expert rigger cant measure, there is an extra toggle above both B/S turnbuckles, any good rigger would have removed those as just another failure point. Bow fitting in good shape, delrin anchor roller missing on side - could/probably just u/v damage. Bow chock looks OK, other than another rimas job of caulking.

Picture of boat hauled out on facebook shows stock underbody profile, no massive modifications.

10 minutes ago, longy said:

She claimed to have hired "experts". They do not hang out at Homey Depo.  I spent years in the marine industry on Oahu, and as stated know any experts that might have been hired. I could with a few phone calls to the island verify any pro level work done to the boat. Your list of mexican names & allusion to HD just indicates your lack of knowledge of the scene in the islands.

Is there a sarcasm button I don't see on this forum?  I will press that in the future if so.  Perhaps that would help?

1 minute ago, SVTankGirl said:

Is there a sarcasm button I don't see on this forum?  I will press that in the future if so.  Perhaps that would help?

I think Longy still has you confused with the Sea Nymph motor mouth.

I suspect that Jen's 'expert' help was just someone who knew more than her, which is a very low bar. They may not have been a professional, in fact I doubt they were. All her statements and claims should be taken with a large grain of salt. Most of them are gross exaggerations, if not outright fabrications.

4 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

No shit.  Longy does not appear fluent in sarcasm.  Me?  I learned English as a second language.  Sarcasm is my native tongue.

7 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

More BS on the keel extension...

I was wondering the same thing watching her snorkel vid pre Navy rescue.  I don't know anything about her boat, but I expected something more dramatic for a two foot extension.  

I also find it odd the videos that she's taking her time to post.  Birds sitting on a rail.  Ten second shot of dolphins.  'Waves' which aren't even breaking.  The snorkel one.  Inventory of minor scuffs and scrapes.  

I don't know who said this...You have the right to exist in any fantasy you want.  You don't have the right to expect my participation.

29 minutes ago, longy said:

So a brief look at the latest video shows spare aft masthead halyard rimas'd around the backstay , doesn't have any tension on it, lower end dangling free, not seen whether it actually tied off to anything, not visible chafe. Expert rigger cant measure, there is an extra toggle above both B/S turnbuckles, any good rigger would have removed those as just another failure point. Bow fitting in good shape, delrin anchor roller missing on side - could/probably just u/v damage. Bow chock looks OK, other than another rimas job of caulking.

Picture of boat hauled out on facebook shows stock underbody profile, no massive modifications.

As I understand it from her video, her main bitch about the rig is that the spreader does not perfectly bisect the angle of the shroud.  The only damage I saw in the video was perhaps the port fairlead missing on the bow.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:17 PM, Team Subterfuge said:

That appears to be Appel (because sailors would be wearing an orange lifevest and the climber is not) climbing the mast after the Navy boarded their vessel.  Seems strange that she would be climbing the mast after the rescue and, it is evident that she could climb the mast, why not fix the allegedly damaged spreader months ago?

Remember, she was in such horrible shape she was about to die: " "Had they not been able to locate us, we would have been dead within 24 hours," ah.... yeah.  They looked like they were really about to die.  Right!

2 minutes ago, GauchoGreg said:

Remember, she was in such horrible shape she was about to die: " "Had they not been able to locate us, we would have been dead within 24 hours," ah.... yeah.  They looked like they were really about to die.  Right!

I think her story is now shifting to not being able to get away from typhoon W26 in time.

16 minutes ago, W9GFO said:

I think her story is now shifting to not being able to get away from typhoon W26 in time.

Yet it was only blowing 20 kts at its closest point to her.  I followed that storm closely because my wife was in Okinawa and Guam at the time for business.  It was never a threat to the Sea Nymphomaniac.

7 hours ago, SVTankGirl said:

I find it disturbing someone would confuse me with The Blonde One.  I feel the need to defend myself.  Last boat, since sold, but I'm keeping the name for the next.

IMG_8105.PNG

You go, SVTG -- those of us paying attention know that you are not Manhands McBlondersen.

12 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Yet it was only blowing 20 kts at its closest point to her.  I followed that storm closely because my wife was in Okinawa and Guam at the time for business.  It was never a threat to the Sea Nymphomaniac.

And yet you editorialize that your wife was in these horrid places for business........why do you tell us it was for business?........how is that important to your tale about your wife?.....what are you not telling us...... what do you fear.........what are you hiding ?   something is not right here.    Why do you also focus on  ".....omaniac" ?    Does this tie to the web of lies you are creating about your wife ?   Vee have vays of making you talk............

19 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

And Tank Girl, the convention here of late is to use this color comic sans or cursive fonts to indicate sarcasm. And that doesn't work with the denser folk.

I findeit helpfulle to.  Ish hase a rettorticalle questione fontte to; Niew Times Romane in redd I thick.                   :)

On 11/12/2017 at 7:10 AM, USA190520 said:

Yep- plan is to get as Far East as possible by 9pm then start thinking about a tack to the North.... avg sog is up to 4kts... COG is still 135, losing bearing on bda at the moment but as I was just told, “she points like an Irwin, best twa is >70°”. 

Enough of this sea-going Kardashian-style freak show.

USA - any update on your buddy's approach to Bermuda.  Windty.com showed wind S of the island to be 110 to 120 this morning.

2 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

And Tank Girl, the convention here of late is to use this color comic sans or cursive fonts to indicate sarcasm. And that doesn't work with the denser folk.

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

I findeit helpfulle to.  Ish hase a rettorticalle questione passeive aggresieve fontte to; Niew Times Romane in redd I thick.                   :)

fixte - I juste remebbered                       :)

35 minutes ago, CruiserJim said:

Enough of this sea-going Kardashian-style freak show.

USA - any update on your buddy's approach to Bermuda.  Windty.com showed wind S of the island to be 110 to 120 this morning.

They’ve tacked over to stbd and were northing yesterday, today they’ve been able to get some east in as well- still 100mi out- but now heading roughly towards bda... 

2kts.... I don’t envy them 

3 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

They’ve tacked over to stbd and were northing yesterday, today they’ve been able to get some east in as well- still 100mi out- but now heading roughly towards bda... 

2kts.... I don’t envy them 

Ugh.  The wind forecast doesn't look great, stays light and does a 360 over the next 24 hours.  Then back to NE for a while.  Hope they can get close before then.  

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

No shit.  Longy does not appear fluent in sarcasm.  Me?  I learned English as a second language.  Sarcasm is my native tongue.

I'm concentrating on bullshit here, sarcasm would be too high a bar. One would need to know the reality to understand the sarcasm.

The jib that got patched with Gorilla glue? Poor sail has no UV cover, sewing thread & edges of foot tape rotted. Most would use a hot knife to repair.

6 hours ago, axolotl said:
13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I think I spotted the problem with the mainsail. Halyard is run to clew, not head.

Standard storage location for the main halyard if you have a soft vang setup.  Keeps the boom from crashing to the deck if the topping lift fails.

Ya but I'm trying to make up a funny meme here and them attempting to raise the sail with halyard to clew came to mind.

I can't make fun of them for caulking a jib because they actually did it.

8 minutes ago, longy said:

I'm concentrating on bullshit here, sarcasm would be too high a bar. One would need to know the reality to understand the sarcasm.

The jib that got patched with Gorilla glue? Poor sail has no UV cover, sewing thread & edges of foot tape rotted. Most would use a hot knife to repair.

Yes, there is at least 6 tons and two feet of bullshit.  In fact, their “press release” intended to clarify the epirb issue is almost hilarious.

But I thought Tanky’s humor was pretty obvious.

Has anyone found an actual purpose or function for all the dyneema wrapped and tangled around the spreader? 

5 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Has anyone found an actual purpose or function for all the dyneema wrapped and tangled around the spreader? 

To prevent it from stretching, of course. Spreader stretch is a serious problem and spreader shrinkers are expensive equipment, as any world cruiser knows.

A good low budget solution is a low stretch line.

18 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

To prevent it from stretching, of course. Spreader stretch is a serious problem and spreader shrinkers are expensive equipment, as any world cruiser knows.

A good low budget solution is a low stretch line.

Maybe so, but all you really need is a sky hook and a few drops of blinker fluid.

Such a waste of Amsteel!

29 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Ya but I'm trying to make up a funny meme here and them attempting to raise the sail with halyard to clew came to mind.

I can't make fun of them for caulking a jib because they actually did it.

A couple times I've had to do a pretty creative spinnaker repair with materials at hand, including monofilament fishing line, wire, duct tape, etc.

Two points of order:

Point 1
Man Hands is actually Dan Rossen of Newport Beach. The adams apple and gnarly hands are dead ringers.

dan_rossen_232px.jpg.985737bb4674030b64772e5fc373c9a0.jpg

Point 2
The hostage hails from Pago Pago, Samoa! I thought that husky build looked like one of Rima's Mormon gals! She was in Hawaii looking for the father of her children as that was his last known whereabouts prior to his concierge service into Saipan. Note the crackerjack marlinespike seamanship? Obviously they studied together!

6 hours ago, SVTankGirl said:

We have a sarcasm font we sometimes use if you are concerned about the audience's ability to discern it properly.

3 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Two points of order:

Point 1
Man Hands is actually Dan Rossen of Newport Beach. The adams apple and gnarly hands are dead ringers.

dan_rossen_232px.jpg.985737bb4674030b64772e5fc373c9a0.jpg

Point 2
The hostage hails from Pago Pago, Samoa! I thought that husky build looked like one of Rima's Mormon gals! She was in Hawaii looking for the father of her children as that was his last known whereabouts prior to his concierge service into Saipan. Note the crackerjack marlinespike seamanship? Obviously they studied together!

I see the similarity but I've sailed a few miles with Dan and he could sail the boat even after an attack by sharks with bionic hearing and squalls that blow straight down. Also not the press release type 

8 hours ago, Whisper said:

How long before her fb page is overrun by hecklers?  It’s public at the moment.

There is someone asking a few probing questions there.  I don't really care, except that the story seems pretty ridiculous, and she's either flat out lying, or exaggerating, and I'd kind of like to hear how she explains things,  if she bothers to answer.

The Devil's Triangle is calling...

22 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

There is someone asking a few probing questions there.  I don't really care, except that the story seems pretty ridiculous, and she's either flat out lying, or exaggerating, and I'd kind of like to hear how she explains things,  if she bothers to answer.

The Devil's Triangle is calling...

The only Devil’s Triangle here is the one between her legs, and that is Satan’s hell hole. 

From Appel's FaceBook press release:  "As for other boats not seeing our flares... the other boats in the ocean missed the flares that were shot when the Titanic sunk, too."

Not true:  "Meanwhile, the SS Californian, which was the last to have been in contact before the collision, saw Titanic's flares but failed to assist."

From Appel's FaceBook press release: "However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, [  .  .  ]"

Not true.  A stock Starrett & Jenks  45 weighs 15 tons.  And Appel's claim of adding 6 tons of fiberglass to the hull is highly unlikely, given the amount of time she had to work on the boat prior to embarking.

Tahsa's getting a little bit snarky on FaceBook:  "Tasha Fuiava Jen, you need to get some sleep...
First, a couple of them spoke broken down English -but you were on the bridge (on the radio) so ya probably didn't notice.
Secondly, we're not sure if all typhoons are classified as tsunamis.
But ha hah ha, sharing =]"

13 minutes ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'd love to go see her speak to a room full of nothing but sailors.

I saw Zac Sunderland speak at a yacht club a few months after his voyage.  It was not pretty.  He stumbled a lot on sailing jargon and obviously wasn't the sharpest tack in the carpet.  He said he held the record for youngest to circumnavigate at the time of his voyage.  Not true, the WSSRC did not ratify his voyage (engine use and other problems),  although the ASA did.   He also spent considerable time promoting his plan to singlehand the Northwest Passage and asking for donations.  I don't think he got any  .  .  .

Appel, on the other hand, would be hilarious to hear, assuming the moderator(s) didn't just throw softballs.

2 hours ago, axolotl said:

From Appel's FaceBook press release: "However, once the 100 ton steel fishing boat towing Sea Nymph backed into our 25 ton fiberglass vessel, [  .  .  ]"

Not true.  A stock Starrett & Jenks  45 weighs 15 tons.  And Appel's claim of adding 6 tons of fiberglass to the hull is highly unlikely, given the amount of time she had to work on the boat prior to embarking.

We have pics of the keel when she launched after the final “hull modifications.”

It is stock.

On 11/12/2017 at 5:04 PM, SVTankGirl said:

The Pahn Pahn distress calls that we made daily after we realized we could not return the last 726 nautical miles to Oahu from roughly 8 degrees North and 156 degrees West - that went unanswered and allowed us to reach Wake Island - were determined to be due to antenna issues that only allowed for a 1-2 nautical mile of reception. We thought we had about 200 miles reception and were notified of the discrepancy once aboard the Navy vessel. 

Had we known our calls were going nowhere - we would have used the EPIRB - but hindsight is 20/20. 

I find her communication problems explanation curious.  Apparently the "antenna issues" were the 4' whip antenna at the masthead failed, which implies a VHF antenna.  She's also stated they had a "ham" (or possibly SSB) transceiver aboard, which typically uses the backstay as an antenna.  Also a Sat-Phone, which includes an integrated antenna in the handset.  One would assume they also had a handheld VHF.

VHF transmissions typically reach out 25 miles or so with a masthead antenna and typically receive much further when communicating with the USCG because they have high power beam antennas located on headlands.  Except in tropospheric ducting conditions, where VHF can travel thousands of miles, quite rare in the waters the SEA NYMPH traversed.  But, thinking your VHF has a 200 mile range typically, that's insane.

HAM/SSB is the blue water sailor's com-link of choice, except if you can afford INMARSAT or equivalent.  HAM/SSB is good for thousands of miles but it takes some skill to operate and a serious antenna setup.  I doubt Appel's daily calls were through her alleged HAM/SSB transceiver, especially considering such transceivers gobbles up some serious amperage which requires a good onboard electrical system.

A Sat-Phone is a bit dodgy,  there's times when an Iridium/GlobalStar linkup will fail due to local constellation coverage (which will become available in 30 minutes or so later), although around the equator InmarSat should 100% linkup if your antenna has a clear view.  Many days of attempting a link should result in a link.  The problem with Sat-Phones is you gotta pay and keep your subscription up or it no workie.  Appel claims the Sat-Phone never worked; I suspect there was a problem with her handset or the billing subscription was suspended.

Therefore it's most likely the scenario Appel posits is that she broadcast a daily VHF Pan-Pan but heard no response. Well duh,  you're not going to reach anybody if your antenna is missing.  There's so many things wrong here.   In the remote Pacific Ocean there's nobody to hear you, and nobody to hear.  When near major VHF shore stations or other boats your VHF can *receive* strong signals even with a compromised antenna which cannot transmit.  And in populated areas the VHF transmissions are incessant, the USCG securite' announcements, fishing boats, yada-yada, you'll know if your VHF is having reception problems.  It's the CB radio of the ocean.  A cheap safety item is a  backup antenna for your ship VHF if your antenna goes bollocks or the mast gets shorter.  Pounding 25w into a 14" antenna can get results.

Appel claims communication with folks at Christmas Island and other near shore VHF encounters; sounds like she had a handheld 5w VHF, which are only good for a few miles. Her expertise concerning radio communications is suspect.

5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

I'd love to go see her speak to a room full of nothing but sailors.

41 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thisse mitte be easiere/                                      :)

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

I find her communication problems explanation curious.  Apparently the "antenna issues" were the 4' whip antenna at the masthead failed, which implies a VHF antenna.  She's also stated they had a "ham" (or possibly SSB) transceiver aboard, which typically uses the backstay as an antenna.  Also a Sat-Phone, which includes an integrated antenna in the handset.  One would assume they also had a handheld VHF.

VHF transmissions typically reach out 25 miles or so with a masthead antenna and typically receive much further when communicating with the USCG because they have high power beam antennas located on headlands.  Except in tropospheric ducting conditions, where VHF can travel thousands of miles, quite rare in the waters the SEA NYMPH traversed.  But, thinking your VHF has a 200 mile range typically, that's insane.

HAM/SSB is the blue water sailor's com-link of choice, except if you can afford INMARSAT or equivalent.  HAM/SSB is good for thousands of miles but it takes some skill to operate and a serious antenna setup.  I doubt Appel's daily calls were through her alleged HAM/SSB transceiver, especially considering such transceivers gobbles up some serious amperage which requires a good onboard electrical system.

A Sat-Phone is a bit dodgy,  there's times when an Iridium/GlobalStar linkup will fail due to local constellation coverage (which will become available in 30 minutes or so later), although around the equator InmarSat should 100% linkup if your antenna has a clear view.  Many days of attempting a link should result in a link.  The problem with Sat-Phones is you gotta pay and keep your subscription up or it no workie.  Appel claims the Sat-Phone never worked; I suspect there was a problem with her handset or the billing subscription was suspended.

Therefore it's most likely the scenario Appel posits is that she broadcast a daily VHF Pan-Pan but heard no response. Well duh,  you're not going to reach anybody if your antenna is missing.  There's so many things wrong here.   In the remote Pacific Ocean there's nobody to hear you, and nobody to hear.  When near major VHF shore stations or other boats your VHF can *receive* strong signals even with a compromised antenna which cannot transmit.  And in populated areas the VHF transmissions are incessant, the USCG securite' announcements, fishing boats, yada-yada, you'll know if your VHF is having reception problems.  It's the CB radio of the ocean.  A cheap safety item is a  backup antenna for your ship VHF if your antenna goes bollocks or the mast gets shorter.  Pounding 25w into a 14" antenna can get results.

Appel claims communication with folks at Christmas Island and other near shore VHF encounters; sounds like she had a handheld 5w VHF, which are only good for a few miles. Her expertise concerning radio communications is suspect.

God, I love this place. The depth of expertise on any subject imaginable never continues to knock me off my chair.

And I’m not being sarcastic for once.

19 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

More BS on the keel extension...

uh hello. this looks like around 2' to me ;) I don't see *that* in the original drawings :P 

(nobody said she extended it downward)

18A04486-16A8-482F-95C9-7A0413E7E75A.jpeg.cea5d261a717a2f62a24c7a11caaa5f7.jpeg

I think Morgan added the bustle after the first few 45s. That might be standard Starratt Jenks underbody...I don't recall. 

PS... Note the sloppily furled and uncovered mainsail. Her seamanship skills are akin to Rimas.

1 hour ago, ryley said:

uh hello. this looks like around 2' to me ;) I don't see *that* in the original drawings :P 

(nobody said she extended it downward)

18A04486-16A8-482F-95C9-7A0413E7E75A.jpeg.cea5d261a717a2f62a24c7a11caaa5f7.jpeg

Yes, she claimed she dropped the draft from 6.5’ to 8.5’.

Also, the drawings are for a Morgan 45. Hers is a Starratt-Jenks, based on the Morgan 45.  That bustle behind the rudder is present on several S-J boats listed on Yachtworld.

Also, the bustle does not weigh 6 tons.

Edit:  Sorry, I see some of you addressed these points as I was typing.

Better view of another Starratt. I also found some pics without a bustle. Seems to be a modification Starrat added to the mold. I assume to add some volume aft to compensate for greater weight aft.

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Better view of another Starratt. I also found some pics without a bustle. Seems to be a modification Starrat added to the mold. I assume to add some volume aft to compensate for greater weight aft.

image.jpg

Bottom line:  There was no 6 tons of glass and no keel extension.  Just more lies.

RKoch is right about the bustle being added by Starrett Jenks. I was all hot for their 'kit boat' concept when they started advertising and I remember the options and variations well. If you look at that aft view of NIGHTSHIFT you can see that the original taper to the hull above the rudder is quite abrupt. The delta shaped fairing you see on the Starrett Jenks was in response to that and I think there was an option to add a spade rudder that aligned with the new bustle. One could leave the original rudder as a keel trim tab (in vogue at the time) or just glass it in and let the more responsive aft spade rudder do the job. I had a friend in St John who is an excellent cabinetmaker who finished out a kit SJ 45 to very high standards and he sails it well with plenty of trophies on his mantel to show for it. Sadly, I think that boat was sunk in Hurricane Hole during IRMA. 

34 minutes ago, Swabbie said:

I would like to go on record and say her fenders are undersized.  I dont think anyone has pointed that out yet and I want the credit for it. 
But she may be using the paddleboard as a fender also  

They're a little low too, but that's probably to protect the hull from shark attacks.

A funny tidbit from her Facebook page:

“No storm huh?  This is raw satellite data
  Those white things are 'storms' over water. We were south of Maui and west of the big island going Southeast past south point and right into it.”

7B664BE0-3DA2-41D1-A4C9-ADF0E14C4337.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Whisper said:

A funny tidbit from her Facebook page:

“No storm huh?  This is raw satellite data
  Those white things are 'storms' over water. We were south of Maui and west of the big island going Southeast past south point and right into it.”

7B664BE0-3DA2-41D1-A4C9-ADF0E14C4337.jpeg

That whole discussion on FB is pretty bizarre. I like how the Asian community is up in arms about her comments about the fishermen who were trying to help her.

Fisherman aren't trained responders, nor are they under any obligation to tow her boat. Sailboats are usually damaged when coming alongside a larger boat at sea. She's just completely ignorant. If she's requesting assistance at sea, then subsequent damage is her responsibility. 

3 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

You’re right. 

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11.