Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

psycho tiller

Meanwhile my buddy is still en route to bda with no mast or prop and the winds have begun to fuck him again- he was making positive vmg but it looks like he’s southing again... no word on oatmeal rations, attempts to befriend the gang of sharks have hit some turbulence when one of the sharks overheard someone talking shit on one of the slower sharks... 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

you have now officially put more thought and research into her story than she has...

I notte so surre, selfe dellussione is fulle time gig, fillde withe harde desissiones and deteminatione.                 :)

56 minutes ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

The 1800 snickers idea is solid.

1 hour ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Maybe I’ll buy a fleabag boat and find myself a mute, borderline retarded boyfriend. Then reinforce it with 12 tons of ferro cement. Install a deep fryer oil-burning Diesel engine. Load it with 2 llamas, 1800 snickers bars, and a grand piano. Paint a portrait of Herve Villechaize on the main. Get myself towed to the Chukchi Sea, where I’ll dance naked on the bow to the SOS beat of Morse Code, flagging-down passing zeppelins.

Film at 11. 

Our you dricken againe my frende?

1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

Meanwhile my buddy is still en route to bda with no mast or prop and the winds have begun to fuck him again- he was making positive vmg but it looks like he’s southing again... no word on oatmeal rations, attempts to befriend the gang of sharks have hit some turbulence when one of the sharks overheard someone talking shit on one of the slower sharks... 

Oh man, how close is he?  Looking at windy.com again, anyone S of Bermuda trying to get north without engine or pointing ability is well and truly fucked until Saturday afternoon.  Then about 48 hours of S and SW winds of decent strength before it veers N again.   Of course this is just a forecast that will change.  Wishing him good luck.

Keeping with the original topic of this thread, hopefully your buddy put a "whole year" of provisions on board!  

8 hours ago, longy said:

Optical illusion - the rudder is turned hard stbd. The rudder blade centered is straight down below that "fin"

longy, on this one I'm gonna say nope. not an optical illusion. I knew I'd seen it before and it's in one of her "damage" videos. the rudder is in perfect alignment with the stub.

but yeah, I was only joking - she did say she increased the draft. Still, a very funky rudder design that absolutely looks wrong, like the design lets you do a spade rudder or the configuration shown.

Screenshot 2017-11-14 18.55.27.png

16 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

And "stand up, motherfucker! Stand up, and I'll put you and your fuckish buddy in the hospital!"

Afraid I’m not quite so elegant. Lose the use of syllables after a couple days on the tit. 

23 minutes ago, ryley said:

longy, on this one I'm gonna say nope. not an optical illusion. I knew I'd seen it before and it's in one of her "damage" videos. the rudder is in perfect alignment with the stub.

but yeah, I was only joking - she did say she increased the draft. Still, a very funky rudder design that absolutely looks wrong, like the design lets you do a spade rudder or the configuration shown.

Screenshot 2017-11-14 18.55.27.png

What our the dottes?  Ist that frome the sharkes?

15 minutes ago, Jammer Six said:

When I was younger, I used to just say "go get the rest of your squad."

All single syllable.

Nice.

I tend to lead with, “Not in the face!”

All single syllables...

On 13/11/2017 at 11:01 AM, SVTankGirl said:

When they learned there were no men aboard, their eyes filled with the sights of fresh meat and dessert.

I don't think it would be that fresh. And Japanese men don't normally have fatty deserts. 

1 hour ago, ryley said:

What are we arguing about again? She's got a standard S/J hull. See post 1337 & 1341. This hull has the strange extension to the skeg, same as 1337. You can see the vertical aft edge just under 'se' of the label. There's no draft change, there's no additional material added anywhere.

20 hours ago, sunseeker said:

The only Devil’s Triangle here is the one between her legs, and that is Satan’s hell hole. 

Lots of men have gone in there but very few have come out. It is a sharks clown car.

On 2017-11-13 at 4:49 PM, Whisper said:

Yes, there is at least 6 tons and two feet of bullshit.  In fact, their “press release” intended to clarify the epirb issue is almost hilarious.

But I thought Tanky’s humor was pretty obvious.

Has anyone found an actual purpose or function for all the dyneema wrapped and tangled around the spreader? 

You could always ask her on her FB page.  Lots of folks asking tough questions and calling total b.s.  

41 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Lots of men have gone in there but very few have come out. It is a sharks clown car.

The fleet sailed in on the 1st of June, and didn't come out 'till fall.

4 hours ago, sail(plane) said:

is this it?

large.appel.jpg.7b513ddd1f6251c34d442d1760e0146a.jpg

That route is highly unlikely, given 5 months Appel would have to had averaged 4kn to make 90 mile days continuously.  Given the sad state of her rigging and statements  that soon after the Force 11 storm they only used a reefed main and partially rolled up jib at most, and  used a kiteboard kite in the latter stages of the voyage one could assume her headway was more like 0-2kn.  Impossible, a well sailed S&J 45 is still a heavy under canvassed pig, especially with the single spreaders short boom spars, and 6 tons of fiberglass added to the hull doesn't improve things.

Oh, I get it now, this route is a sarcastic joke.  But it does beg the question, based on Appel's statements about raising land near several remote archipelagos (ignore the "Devil's Triangle" fix) her route could be reconstructed for a better idea of her actual route.   I suspect it's closer to 4,000 to 6,000 miles than some grand tour of the Pacific.

I suspect they spent a while anchored at an uninhabited atoll. Never cleared in, so they don't want to admit they were there. Poor sailing skills, couldn't get back to Hawaii, ended up drifting west.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:33 AM, Blue Crab said:

Am I blind? What's wrong with the pin?

if the pin is the issue, why is her half assed repair outboard of it?If that pin failed her knots (lots!) would fall off too

35 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You could always ask her on her FB page.  Lots of folks asking tough questions and calling total b.s.  

Maybe it's time for a little field trip! Who's in?

i might try and book a domination session.

31 minutes ago, ZeroTheHero said:

if the pin is the issue, why is her half assed repair outboard of it?If that pin failed her knots (lots!) would fall off too

Maybe because her 'repair' isn't as big a fabrication as her story.

2 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Maybe because her 'repair' isn't as big a fabrication as her story.

Yes, that's just a bunch of random spectra wound around for no reason. That's going to do squat to get her spreader back to the correct angle, which is her ostensible reason for doing it. Not that it needs it, looks pretty normal in the pictures.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, that's just a bunch of random spectra wound around for no reason. That's going to do squat to get her spreader back to the correct angle, which is her ostensible reason for doing it. Not that it needs it, looks pretty normal in the pictures.

According to her video she says the spreader repair used "48ft of amsteel".

4 hours ago, mookiesurfs said:
5 hours ago, Peanut Butter said:

I need to get out more.

Film at 11. 

The 1800 snickers idea is solid.

Good Watch Snacks are key.

20 minutes ago, Ishmael said:
58 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Good Watch Snacks are key.

I'm addicted to Clif bars on night watch. Choccy bars, not so much. 

Me neither. Too much chocolate makes my stomach feel nasty.

1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

I wouldn't bet money on it, but my guess is that the mess is supposed to hold the upper on to the spreader or at least supposed to give that impression.  I can't see what's going on under those spreader boots. Maybe they forgot the seizing wire? Departing Honolulu they'd have been on port and there was a period of fresh to frightening so that leeward spreader would have been bouncing around.

I see more pointless pics going up at the moment from The Blonde One.  A pic shows the waves made from a shark sans the waves and shark.  I've been reluctant to share my own story and evidence drifting in counter clockwise semi concentric rings one time in the Satan's Circle area.  I now feel empowered.

IMG_8112.JPG

27 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

I see more pointless pics going up at the moment from The Blonde One.  A pic shows the waves made from a shark sans the waves and shark.  I've been reluctant to share my own story and evidence drifting in counter clockwise semi concentric rings one time in the Satan's Circle area.  I now feel empowered.

IMG_8112.JPG

Is this a Rorschach Test?

I see Big Foot giving the finger to Jen whilst riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster.

Probably more truth in that than any of her other tales.

7 hours ago, axolotl said:

That route is highly unlikely, given 5 months Appel would have to had averaged 4kn to make 90 mile days continuously.  Given the sad state of her rigging and statements  that soon after the Force 11 storm they only used a reefed main and partially rolled up jib at most, and  used a kiteboard kite in the latter stages of the voyage one could assume her headway was more like 0-2kn.  Impossible, a well sailed S&J 45 is still a heavy under canvassed pig, especially with the single spreaders short boom spars, and 6 tons of fiberglass added to the hull doesn't improve things.

Oh, I get it now, this route is a sarcastic joke.  But it does beg the question, based on Appel's statements about raising land near several remote archipelagos (ignore the "Devil's Triangle" fix) her route could be reconstructed for a better idea of her actual route.   I suspect it's closer to 4,000 to 6,000 miles than some grand tour of the Pacific.

Well, it is a joke, but as far as the route, I followed blow by blow Jens tale posted by tankgirl(?). I couldn't check on fb if it was changed by the poster for comic effect, that's why I'm asking: is this what jen is saying? Never mind if it is possible, but is this the latest version of the story? 

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I don't think it would be that fresh. And Japanese men don't normally have fatty deserts. 

They check the fat content before buying fish so the Samoan was likely the fresh meat, the white woman was dessert (with a fish box over her head).

13 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Those sharks are going to have to eat and they're going to have to train their young on how to pop a sailor out of a boat, so they'll be back.

Try to get word to them to watch just after the momma shark makes her run. The babies are sometimes careless and small. The tail will come up close enough to just grab it and swing lil' sharky aboard. Yum yum.

11 hours ago, Great White said:

According to her video she says the spreader repair used "48ft of amsteel".

That sounds prudent. Most cruisers recommend at least 40' to prevent spreader stretch. She's well within spec on that one.

12 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I see Big Foot giving the finger to Jen whilst riding on the back of the Loch Ness Monster.

I see boob's.  Is there something wrong with me?

35 minutes ago, Blitz said:
12 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I see boob's.  Is there something wrong with me?

I would rather have seen boobs. I think there's something wrong with your verb conjugation.

OTOH that's a really funny pic.... +1   B)

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

I would rather have seen boobs. I think there's something wrong with your verb conjugation.

OTOH that's a really funny pic.... +1   B)

FB- Doug

Good thing I went into engineering and didn't become an English teacher.

14 hours ago, 12 metre said:

You certainly need an eye exam...  you missed the Loch Ness Monster riding the motorbike (retrofitted with 6 tons of fiberglass) to make a underwater vehicle suitable for recovering lost atomic bombs (THAT IS WHAT THE GEIGER COUNTER WAS FOR).

The comms were not working, as the whip antenna was missing the whip, which was in the dungeon.

... In seriousness I must thank you all.. This was the gift that kept on giving.. Better then Hot Rod...  Truly fantastic.. It would be a great comedy movie....

Just a bummer that unknowing people think that an 'adventure' can happen to two experienced mariners (as the blow back is NOT so sexy and is not in the main stream media)  caught sailing in near the 'devils triangle'.

And after 6 days of struggles with no mast and no prop and easterly winds hampering progress,  the swan 44 is within 5 miles of bda, under tow and headed to safety- no interviews, no today show no book deals...

2 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

And after 6 days of struggles with no mast and no prop and easterly winds hampering progress,  the swan 44 is within 5 miles of bda, under tow and headed to safety- no interviews, no today show no book deals...

No vidio?  Thast buellshite man!                         Glad they our safe!                                            :)

3 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Simple... Because one must learn newspeak...  If you can rephrase it as the following:

The MASTER of the vessel has her on a lead heading to a safe harbour...

Now.. does that not sound BETTER?  (and with appropriate visuals.. he could be interviewed by our fellow 'boater' Mr. Lauer.

27 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Oh please. Knock it off with the drama. The rig probably came down clean, so it’s not like he had to deal with a bent spreader pin!  That’s when shit gets real!

4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Oh please. Knock it off with the drama. The rig probably came down clean, so it’s not like he had to deal with a bent spreader pin!  That’s when shit gets real!

Bastardo!   I juste getteng overte the non flu, flu licke simptoms, kinda couffe.  Stille plentey soure and you mackes me laffe.  A poxxe on alle youre ancestorres!

44 minutes ago, USA190520 said:

Excellent, well done.  If someone writes up an account online somewhere, please post a link.   Hopefully they enjoy a Dark ,n Stormy or two. 

1 hour ago, USA190520 said:

They should have macrame'd 48' of Amsteel around the rig to save it. 

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Bastardo!   I juste getteng overte the non flu, flu licke simptoms, kinda couffe.  Stille plentey soure and you mackes me laffe.  A poxxe on alle youre ancestorres!

Glad I could add to your misery!  I’m in the same boat. Just now getting over a cough that was causing almost black out levels of pain. Laughing was horrible, sneezing was so bad I had to lay down because I knew I’d feint, which I did. It was a fun ride!  

18 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Only 6 days? No dogs? No attempted murder by rescuing fishermen. And no bent spreader pin/sagging spreader tip? You weren't really expecting any interviews were you? Good seamanship is boring.

Seriously, good on your pals for making it to port.

Never had a problem with fishermen. In Turkey had them come back from night fishing, tie up inside of us, secure our boat and not wake us up.

In the Red Sea, they came alongside asking for food, cigarettes and whisky. Gave them food,  no whisky coz we'd already drunk it, no ciggies coz we don't smoke. All offered help if we needed it and all offered us fish.

Going from Dubai to India through Straits of Hormuz, we got frightened by an Iranian dhow. I was on watch, Rob was sleeping. They were interested in lone woman on small boat. They came close making drinking signs. I (Rob says I'm an idiot :-D ) shouted at them "That's really kind, but no thanks". They tried to get much closer so I woke Rob up, then a U.S. Navy helicopter over flew a tanker coming up behind us, which changed course towards us, the helicopter then flew straight at us, circled the dhow which headed behind us and back on course for Iran. We didn't see any guns, so don't think they were pirates. They were just curious about such a small boat and didn't realize they were a danger to us and could cause a lot of damage. Gave us a scare though.

All this is my way of saying BS to the murderous fishermen story.

Tricia

apart from the appel-BS:

this is anecdotal evidence too:

had bulletholes in the main & mast & nightmares for a while from an encounter near Ras Kasar in the Red Sea...t'was in 93, but the memories remain...

I don't conclude from this encounter that approaching boat generally have unfriendly intentions, but neither should you from your friendly encounters that all stories telling otherwise are BS...

13 hours ago, USA190520 said:

Great to hear they're safe US. 6 days..man that's tough.  

No books, but respect from like minded souls. 

1 hour ago, RKoch said:

Duh. 9 knots is about 2.5 knots over hull speed. Of course cleats and chocks won't handle that. 

I think that is her point.

Appel may be crazy but she is not stupid.  She has said some things the clearly demonstrate some knowledge - completely lacking in Rimas.  (But her perception of reality and reality clearly did not converge at any point.)

The idea that the fishing boat wanted/did side-tie tow Appel's boat at or above hull speed would be frightening - especially in any swell.   

Also, who would tow anybody at sea?  It would takes days to get anywhere at a safe towing speed and the boat probably would get torn apart in the process.

3 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Appel may be crazy but she is not stupid.  She has said some things the clearly demonstrate some knowledge - completely lacking in Rimas.  (But her perception of reality and reality clearly did not converge at any point.)

The idea that the fishing boat wanted/did side-tie tow Appel's boat at or above hull speed would be frightening - especially in any swell.   

Also, who would tow anybody at sea?  It would takes days to get anywhere at a safe towing speed and the boat probably would get torn apart in the process.

So we’re taking her word for the 9-knot tow?  Like the 10-knot current?  Force 11 3-day storm?  Destination of Tahiti with dogs who could never have cleared?  Six tons of added glass and two feet of added draft?  Compromised rigging, including “blown” backstay and “broken” forestay?  Yada yada yada?

Have you seen the Taiwanese government has called bullshit on her attempted murder claims?

23 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Appel may be crazy but she is not stupid. 

She claimed the tow was the scariest 24 hours of her life. The only evidence of possible damage sustained during the tow is a busted fairlead, a broken plastic anchor roller and a couple of scuff marks on the side of the hull. The damage she has claimed (pulpit taken out, lifelines ripped out etc.) is clearly shown not to be damaged in her video - where she points the camera at things and says they are damaged. 24 hours is plenty of time to have used that same camera to document the tow in progress, willing to bet that no video of the tow will surface.

About the huge attack sharks:  She posted this under her one shark pic that shows a smallish thresher:

“Zachary Charles Smith those hung out with us for a few days but that is not what got us at night... Those guys and gals didn't want to be photographed or shot.  Smart ones”

So she lacked visual contact to identify the specie and size of the attack families?

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

So we’re taking her word for the 9-knot tow?  Like the 10-knot current?  Force 11 3-day storm?  Destination of Tahiti with dogs who could never have cleared?  Six tons of added glass and two feet of added draft?  Compromised rigging, including “blown” backstay and “broken” forestay?  Yada yada yada?

Have you seen the Taiwanese government has called bullshit on her attempted murder claims?

As I said, Appels perception of reality and reality do not converge.  My point was just because a person is crazy, does not make them ignorant.

3 hours ago, Whisper said:

About the huge attack sharks:  She posted this under her one shark pic that shows a smallish thresher:

“Zachary Charles Smith those hung out with us for a few days but that is not what got us at night... Those guys and gals didn't want to be photographed or shot.  Smart ones”

So she lacked visual contact to identify the specie and size of the attack families?

Threshers use those great big tails when hunting, slashing them at schools of smaller fish to corral and stun them. So maybe they were what was slapping the boat, as small fish were likely hanging around under a slow drifting object.

Still...a thresher doesn't look anything like a tiger, even though the tiger's stripes fade as they get older.

4 hours ago, Whisper said:

Clearly Ninja sharks not tigers.:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

My point was just because a person is crazy, does not make them ignorant.

Okay, but why make that point here? JA appears to be profoundly ignorant about boats. It is embarrassingly obvious that she has no idea what she's talking about.  She's got the crazy and the ignorant.

5 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

As I said, Appels perception of reality and reality do not converge.  My point was just because a person is crazy, does not make them ignorant.

Agreed.  Appel's a different breed than Rimas,  she's more cognizant about super-basic sailing skills.  But that's not saying much. Reid Stowe has both of them beat by miles.