Jump to content

Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months


psycho tiller

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

So she did but given Jennifer's misapplication of various boating terminology, I think it doesn't pay to scrutinize her words too closely.

Do you mind! You are only picking on her because of her gender. You must really hate women mate...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "bolt" you have highlighted is actually a clevis pin. That whole joint looks dodgy.

The bolt she may be trying to back up is on the spreader, under all the lashing, you can see the locking nut.

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HILLY said:

The "bolt" you have highlighted is actually a clevis pin. That whole joint looks dodgy.

The bolt she may be trying to back up is on the spreader, under all the lashing, you can see the locking nut.

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

Yeh I knew someone would pick me up on that. I was trying to keep things simple. I had also seen the other bolt. Which one it was is what I am trying to clarify as it’s hard to tell from the video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, strop said:

I appreciate the fact that Jens on here and giving us a chance to ask the questions. I will help clear up the case

I like the optimism.

I was assuming she knew a pin from a bolt so was talking about the bolt. As I said upthread, the only purpose I saw for all the lashing is to avoid spreader stretch. Because, you know, things under compression stretch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

Jen,

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet  

as a new poster there is a longstanding tradition here.  I know you care about tradition 

have you shown us yer ti....?

ah never mind.  No need  you are grandfathered  

 

The Devil's Triangle was a bit blurry in those picks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 12:58 PM, Jennifer said:

What is the real reason that you didn't stop in Kiribati )(Kirimati)? You have given several answers - boat too big (it isn't - by a long shot), denied entry (not believable), didn't want to go in at night (nonsensical - just wait till the next day) and some other reason concerning something with shipwreck in the name.

http://images.nationmaster.com/images/motw/australia/kiritimati_island_77.jpg

I believe this chart is in fathoms - the one I had on the boat also noted a two knot current on both sides of the island at North West Point and South West Point  going from east ot west - the only viable entrance I could see on my chart was south passage but I did not feel comfortable with much rhode if the wind/current changed - since the interior is only one fathom - and we have already established that one fathom is not enough - we did not have a chart specific enough to view the coral heads

It was night and Tasha did get turned around going east instead of south - so doing donuts until dawn was not really an option I was comfortable with

We were told by the calling station on chanel 16 not to enter the lagoon and that they did not have any protected waters where doing a rigging patch would be safe - we were told to move on.

.and while we are at it - where exactly is the large commercial airport here?

Jennifer, I'm assuming we're talking about your Kiritimati (Christmas) Island flyby in the Kiribati Republic, in the Line Islands.  

Your offshore assessment with limited charts is accurate. As COMMS ( the calling station on chanel {channel} 16) indicated, the lagoon is way too shallow for even small boats to safely enter.  And they have history of shunning private yachts who wish to enter (not the lagoon, the paperwork).  All small yachts anchor in the protected area just below London north of the Cook Island Passage.  There's no shipyard that could do mast repairs, etc.  Fuel, food (consumables) are available but pricey.  All this info is available online or in a south seas cruising guide. I understand you didn't have those resources.

But, here's what blows my mind.  Did you know the US and Britons detonated 30 Megatons of nuclear bombs over Kirimati in 1958-1962?  I know you are interested in recording background radiation and wonder if during your Kiritimati Island encounter you detected high levels of radiation?

Oh, and on the above chart the airport is at the "large shed" annotation.  I tried to exactly locate in in an above post but you must have missed it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HILLY said:

The "bolt" you have highlighted is actually a clevis pin. That whole joint looks dodgy.

The bolt she may be trying to back up is on the spreader, under all the lashing, you can see the locking nut.

clevis pin.png

clevis pin new.jpg

   The clevis pin is what she indicated as failed in her audio. There is another pin 3" or so aft doing the same thing. The pin does not seem bent at all, but does not seem to be normal to the two mast bracket ears. Perhaps the pin is undersized? The bold outboard holds the ss spreader base in the aluminum spreader, and is under no load, unless one is pulling the spreader away from the mast. These are stock LeFiell parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jennifer said:

when the navy approached, I was under the impression that with their extra parts and hands we were going to fix the boat - I wasn't actually planning to leave it because they asked if it could be fixed and sent people to assist

Before the Navy showed up, before any sailor had set foot on your boat to assess the damage your own video has you saying "this is all of our stuff we are taking with us to the Navy". 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, axolotl said:

But, here's what blows my mind.  Did you know the US and Britons detonated 30 Megatons of nuclear bombs over Kirimati in 1958-1962?  I know you are interested in recording background radiation and wonder if during your Kiritimati Island encounter you detected high levels of radiation?

Oh, and on the above chart the airport is at the "large shed" annotation.  I tried to exactly locate in in an above post but you must have missed it.

Thank you for the info on anchoring below London.

Kiribati was 23.7cpm - actually quite low for an ambient over water but we did not go to land - which in my data collection experience - would have had a 'probable' different reading

Thanks for the info on the airport - we didn't see any 700 series planes taking off or landing.  I have jumped out of them for fun - so I am pretty sure I know what they look like.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 5:00 PM, kent_island_sailor said:

Wow - photographic memory there :rolleyes:

No last name, no boat name, maybe in a three year time span, maybe not.

 

That’s an easy one to check though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Before the Navy showed up, before any sailor had set foot on your boat to assess the damage your own video has you saying "this is all of our stuff we are taking with us to the Navy". 

TK - I will answer the question you asked but to get a solid answer there is a lot more information required

yes.

The second conversation should be posted as well as the initial call.  Both would probably change many perceptions since the media ignored the reason why we called for help and the Taiwanese Government probably doesn't want any of it heard.  (PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS UNTIL THE RECORDED CALLS ARE AVAILABLE AND POSTED - I will go no further to answer this aspect without the recordings.  They speak volumes.) 

To add to the short 'yes' answer:  A snippet goes like this - we were told we had less than one hour to get clothes for up to two months to board the Navy vessel and remain with them during their "exercises".  When, at an undisclosed time, we would reach an undisclosed port, the SV Sea Nymph should have been recovered and we would rejoin her.

The snippet is not what actually occurred... as everyone knows.

The Navy said they were given coordinates 60 nautical miles from where they actually found us.  I do not know who gave them the coordinates.  It was not me and I was under the impression the FV had stated the position.  The interview on the deck of the USS Ashland confirms the initial erroneous position given.  

When the Navy did arrive - and before anyone set foot on the boat they called and asked us if the vessel could be repaired.  I responded affirmatively.  So, we were under the impression at the "blowing kisses time" that SV Sea Nymph would get a new antenna and some extra hands to help with the spreader and backstay while we bounced around.  I wasn't nearly as worried about the motor (they couldn't get it started anyway) since it is a sail boat and that motor won't go as fast as the sails and our estimated fuel distance was a little over 200 miles - which would not have gotten us to a protected harbor out of the anticipated path of the typhoon at that time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That’s an easy one to check though. 

do it - you will probably find more than you want - ask how many people have been fined or jailed in the past ten years in Hawaii for SAR calls they felt were unwarranted. 

from the beating I have taken in the media - whether deserved or undeserved - I have a new soft spot for people who aren't around to defend themselves

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

do it - you will probably find more than you want - ask how many people have been fined or jailed in the past ten years in Hawaii for SAR calls they felt were unwarranted. 

from the beating I have taken in the media - whether deserved or undeserved - I have a new soft spot for people who aren't around to defend themselves

No - how about the ONE person you said you KNOW. As for the rest, I am quite confident the number is zero. A hoax Mayday will get you in big trouble, but just being scared will not otherwise we would need new jails to hold everyone. Please do tell us which Boeing airplanes you jumped out of as well. (this really shouldn't be hard to do ;) )

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Which planes exactly did you jump out of?

Since the irreplaceable log book is still on the boat (it was my home) this may be a shorter list than what I did in the almost 20 years I was an active skydiver or held a coach rating.... 

king air, queen air, bell 212, bell 210, (someone had a video of a helo jump from Quincy that I had never seen on this post somewhere - kudos for that memory), 727, dc10, twotter (twin otters), cessna (sleep on the way to altitude), porters, (even jumped the pilatus porter that was used in the drop zone movie with the bomb-bay doors), casa, c130, skyvan, ... and more - day jumps, night jumps, water jumps - Jumped all over in the US, a bit in Canada and parts of Mexico

Go find the Quincy World Free Fall Convention info where I had flown a MIG21 and was interviewed for local tv - think that one was done in 1998 - Quincy, IL doesn't happen anymore - but it was like Burning Man for skydivers way back when

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

On the larger issue - I still haven't the slightest clue how these two got from A to B, what they thought they were going to do, and what exactly was wrong with their boat.

Kind of this.

Vague references of an order of events with no dates. Incomplete descriptions of damage with poor or non-existent photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You people are amusing. After all this discourse with Jen, after all the media coverage, after Clean's 8 hour attempt attempt to ferret out the real story, you're all still left scratching your heads. Isn't it painfully clear by now you'll NEVER get the real story? You're trashing Jen for not being coherent and forthcoming with accurate data, wake up folks! She's playing you masterfully! She's twisting you in knots and frustrating you with her ramblings and diversions. Who knows what really happened? Maybe she and Tasha just sailed to a nearby island and hung out for 5 months. Whatever, you ain't getting it from her!

Jen, have you considered a career in politics?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wristwister said:

You people are amusing. After all this discourse with Jen, after all the media coverage, after Clean's 8 hour attempt attempt to ferret out the real story, you're all still left scratching your heads. Isn't it painfully clear by now you'll NEVER get the real story?

Yes. Jen is a story teller. As she says, she is living the fantasy. That means that her experiences must be very special, if they weren't it wouldn't be a fantasy life now would it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Before the Navy showed up, before any sailor had set foot on your boat to assess the damage your own video has you saying "this is all of our stuff we are taking with us to the Navy". 

 

More nautical weirdness. Rimas school of rigging! Original topping lift is abandoned, left hanging loose under boom. Tail of topper is macrame'd around boom, frivolous attempt to use it as an outhaul, tail left hanging. Original outhaul cheek block now used as t/l, poorly cleated. Despite tales of sailing with reefs in, no tension (or order) to reef lines. And why is a red toweel wrapped around the boom & sail? In 5 months of having the boom over the cockpit the crew havent moved it outboard or learned to duck?????  The only reasonable thing visible in this scene is the sail has a decent flake job on it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Jennifer said:

Photos do not show a bent spreader. - you are right... it is a bent spreader bolt that allowed for too much fore/aft play - which then allowed the shroud to come out of its position and the seizing wire was no longer properly intact

did you open the seacocks to flood the boat - naw - even if they fail - if you look at the video from underwater - you can see the bunts I put in the "holes"

did the standing rigging fail - the backstay came unravelled - pictures are on the shutterfly account - you can't miss the 5/8" amsteel halyard wrapped around the backstay in the sunset pictures - it made a huge improvement - more than the ~200+lf of 1/8" amsteel I originally used to fortify the back of the mast to the stern tangs

So,   complete bullshit from beginning to end,  then.

If a PIN  ( not a goddamn threaded BOLT to chew up the spreader for fucks sake) was displaced (rare)  you REPLACE the darn thing and re-seize the shroud - an easy task for someone that supposedly friggin' WELDED aloft !!!   I've done some fairly creative fixes underway and I can't imagine trying to weld from a bosun's chair !

You bunged the seacocks from the OUTSIDE ?!?!?    Clearly you don't have a clue.  Nor do you give the least concern for fellow mariners.  You left your drifting liability out there to harm others because you were so delusional as to think somebody was going to take you BACK to your mess ?     This is so crazy it defies belief.   NOBODY is going to piss away the expense to lift you back aboard a boat you couldn't handle in the first place.   All you have done is put others in danger.

You say:  "backstay came unraveled' -  I don't see broken strand,  but if you did have one,  why not run a parallel strand of the Amsteel ?   It's good and strong.  NOTHING is gained by wrapping something around a damaged backstay like a tetherball !  This is as simple a mechanical arrangement as there is - basic triangulation,  easily addressed in the calm conditions shown in the video.

It is simple as this:  you and your boat were completely unprepared for a passage.  Had you cruised the boat around the Hawaiian islands for a season you would possibly have become aware of the extent of your shortcomings,  but it doesn't seem like anything like logic would have any effect on you.    

Bonus bullshit:

adding 2 feet to the draft of the boat   -  complete fiction.  If you did a repair to 2 feet (in length) of the keel,  I'd believe that,  but that you extended the depth of the keel fin by 2 feet ?    My ass.   Why would you have done so ?   Amateur Naval architect ?   You expected the boat was now going to point like a 12- meter ?   and... Ballast ?   I mean - practically how would you DO this in a yard ?   have them block the keel 2+ feet off the ground ?   ( anyone familiar with hulls would not do this - it would pop the stands into the boat's bilge ) - or did you dig a ditch under the keel (same effect on the hull)  - -   and THEN to go and blame a lack of safe havens on this modification ?    idiocy writ large.

You claim competency at mechanical reasoning but can't keep a 1-spreader rig functional ?

more bonus bullshit:   Motorsport - raced in "WERA and AMA"  - what classes,  tracks and years ?     Aaron Yates last rode professionally in the US in  2005-2008 - I know the class,  do you ?   There weren't any females that qualified on those grids as far as I can tell.   There is no shame to just liking to ride fast (if you can do so safely) and attending track days - just don't try to tell people you raced in AMA. 

Just stop lying.  If you can.   If you can't,  then.... Just STOP.   Stop it.   You are fooling no one here.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 7:50 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

Jenn - you need to study Tristan Jones:

Arthur Jones, pen name Tristan Jones (8 May 1929 – 21 June 1995) was a British mariner and author. He spent most of his life at sea, first in the British Royal Navy, and then sailing in small yachts for various purposes, including self-appointed adventure trips. Starting in 1977, he wrote sixteen books and many articles about sailing and his adventures, including several memoirs. His writing, while highly entertaining, often mixes fact and fiction. In his memoirs, he invented a fictional childhood and youth.

He actually did what you are trying to do, i.e. make a living by slinging bullshit stories about sailing. He succeeded where you are failing for a few reasons. He really had a lot of sailing experience to draw from, he rarely had any witnesses around to contradict him, and this was before the internet. It wasn't easy to disprove things that supposedly happened long ago and far away. So in short, you have a much more difficult task ahead of you with this career.

Also note the internet provides a ready source of nude women doing various things on video, so the hang upside down look at my vagina thing only provides so much additional interest.

Thanks for that.  I started reading his main book at the urging of a friend but decided the author seemed like a bit of an ass.  Which is not in itself a reason to stop reading something...

Link to post
Share on other sites

  Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt she will directly address any technical q's raised by this group. The two page "rebuttal" was mostly about personal history, most of which had no relevance. The belief that the Navy was going to 'repair' her boat to her demands is ludicrous. Even IF they had some knowledge of a sailboat onboard, they definitely wouldn't be stocking yacht size/spec equipment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The mystery is what she has to sell.

My guess is one of two things - gross incompetence, she just floated around until she go tired of being out there and saw a boat to call or some sordid hostage fantasy thing with her "crew" girl that was unknowledgeable enough about sailing she would likely go along with anything for awhile. 50/50 on if she had some end goal of media fame from the start or that occurred later on.

Reminds me a bit of a movie I saw ages ago on cable where a couple (or 4 people?) were passengers on an old wooden cabin cruiser in the Bahamas for a vacation trip. The captain kept them way out in the out out islands away from any civilization and kept coming up with new "disasters". The one I remember is he is steering the perfectly fine boat and in response to being asked why they don't go to XXX town, he says something like "You want me to run danger channel with a bad cutless bearing? Arghh, she'll be on the reefs for sure and the sharks will come for us"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, longy said:

  Unfortunately, I sincerely doubt she will directly address any technical q's raised by this group. The two page "rebuttal" was mostly about personal history, most of which had no relevance. The belief that the Navy was going to 'repair' her boat to her demands is ludicrous. Even IF they had some knowledge of a sailboat onboard, they definitely wouldn't be stocking yacht size/spec equipment.

Dude, don't you know the USN is a floating repair shop and virtual West Marine at sea?  Of course those big ships stock 3' mast top VHF whip antennas, PL-259 connectors, coax, clevis pins to fit the spreader, 12v. starter motors for small diesels, backstay de-unravellers, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  I could only get a few paragraphs into her screed - it was just too looney,  obsessing over media stories getting their details wrong - when most of the info came from....they themselves - you don't think most outlets RESEARCHED any of this stuff do you ?

Misguided folks bumble into boating all the time - but it takes an exceptionally deluded skipper to attempt to sail a long passage without ever having done a trip or two as crew for a competent skipper - you know,  to LEARN what the whole 'in charge' gig is all about. 

Here is one for you guys - she supposedly has the 'speed bug' as evidenced by the RC-51 (not a bad machine,  but much more trouble and quirkyness than it's worth - sound familiar?)  - but couldn't bother crewing aboard any of the three dozen or so active racing boats that sail out of the harbor she was at EVERY FRIDAY - let alone crew to other islands and lend a hand with repairs,  where a lot of sailors get a pretty good basic boating education,  for free.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whisper said:

Dude, don't you know the USN is a floating repair shop and virtual West Marine at sea?  Of course those big ships stock 3' mast top VHF whip antennas, PL-259 connectors, coax, clevis pins to fit the spreader, 12v. starter motors for small diesels, backstay de-unravellers, etc.

  IIRC she claimed it was a CELL antenna??? Does the USN have those too??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on people, didn't you read Jen's post above about skydiving from no fewer than 13 different airplanes, including a DC-10? You need to jump all over that as a diversion to the lost-at-sea BS. Play the game right!

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, wristwister said:

Come on people, didn't you read Jen's post above about skydiving from no fewer than 13 different airplanes, including a DC-10? You need to jump all over that as a diversion to the lost-at-sea BS. Play the game right!

I can believe skydiving from a DC-9, but could not find anything about a DC-10. And possible from a 727 Also. Maybe she is DBCooper?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Great White said:

I can believe skydiving from a DC-9, but could not find anything about a DC-10. And possible from a 727 Also. Maybe she is DBCooper?

 

That would explain how she could come up with $100,000 to throw into a 45' 4ksb.  <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wristwister said:

Come on people, didn't you read Jen's post above about skydiving from no fewer than 13 different airplanes, including a DC-10? You need to jump all over that as a diversion to the lost-at-sea BS. Play the game right!

Someone asked her about her skydiving experiences, and she responded; fair enough.

I don't doubt she's jumped out of all of those planes; the (now defunct) Quincy World Free Fall Convention featured skydiving from all sorts of exotic planes.  I question whether she actually *piloted* (she wrote "flew") a single seat MIG 21 which would require serious jet airplane chops, more likely she was back seat in one of the rare two seat trainers where a ride in the late nineties cost $2,500-12,000USD depending on flight time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Someone asked her about her skydiving experiences, and she responded; fair enough.

I don't doubt she's jumped out of all of those planes; the (now defunct) Quincy World Free Fall Convention featured skydiving from all sorts of exotic planes.  I question whether she actually *piloted* a single seat MIG 21 which would require serious jet airplane chops, more likely she was back seat in one of the rare two seat trainers where a ride in the late nineties cost $2,500-12,000USD depending on flight time.

There was a two-seater at a QWFC.

Also, there are references online to Jennifer winning some regional WERA races many years ago.

So, she has a history of skydiving and road racing.  I'm more interested in her 5-month gps track.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, wristwister said:

See Jen, it's working! We've got them so wrapped up in your skydiving tales, they're ignoring all the inconsistencies in your sailing tales.

Your welcome!

We know we'll never get a true word out of her, this is just a pass-the-time-while-the-server-boots thread now ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

We know we'll never get a true word out of her, this is just a pass-the-time-while-the-server-boots thread now ;)

I disagree, we will get some true words but it will be impossible to identify them. She has trouble answering direct questions without making a joke or attaching a story first. Kind of like arguing with one of my kids. They will focus on and expand a small detail that you got wrong (because decoding what they say can be very difficult and prone to errors) while ignoring the the bigger questions. 

I think, and she has pretty much indirectly confirmed during Clean's interview, that she is a grossly incompetent sailor. She got spooked by things that were completely benign, probably "fixing" some which then made the situation worse. She comes up with reasons why things are happening that are just bizarre. Like the sharks' living room, dragon's triangle and sea animals looking after her welfare. She sees the pulpit slightly bent (looks fine to me in the video) and calls it "taken out". Same with the lifelines which she said were ripped out, but you can see them in the video and they look fine - there are many other examples.

From what I can tell she was afraid to raise the main fully because there was some rigging making noise. Fair enough, that is a decent reason. The rest of the story is her making weird decisions, most of which come from not understanding the world around her "we're not sure if all typhoons are tsunamis". So many times she references what someone has told her. She learns from anecdotes and does not seem to feel the need to pursue the issue any further - but considers herself competent and empowered. She's a poster child for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 12:58 PM, Jennifer said:

Please find this quote for me including the sentence preceding it - "Why did you say that you increased the draft of your boat by two feet"

 

Did you, or did you not claim to have increased your boats draft by two feet? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longy said:

  IIRC she claimed it was a CELL antenna??? Does the USN have those too??

Several times this cel antenna issue has come up. She was trying to point out that a cel phone won't work without an antenna - just like here vhf won't work without an antenna. A strange reference these days because cel phone antennas are internal now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is evidence that Jen did road race a bike in 1991 I think. There is also evidence to suggest she won 6 of 9 races. Probably in the novice class against other novices. No way would she be competitive with the likes of Yates. But she did run around the track in the company of other riders. That is more than most riders manage to achieve. Falling off happens. Whether she was a squirrel or not, would have to come from other riders who were out there with her. New term for squirrel I think is squid.

Unkle Crusty

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Whisper said:

Dude, don't you know the USN is a floating repair shop and virtual West Marine at sea?  Of course those big ships stock 3' mast top VHF whip antennas, PL-259 connectors, coax, clevis pins to fit the spreader, 12v. starter motors for small diesels, backstay de-unravellers, etc.

I think you're being sarcastic but an amphib ship like that is indeed carrying all of those things, or is quickly capable of making substitutes if so inclined. There are easily 25 diesel engines of all sizes on that ship, between the ship's equipment and all the embarked Marine landing stuff it is likely carrying. Miles of steel cable for cranes and blocks to lift and drag things around. An impressive machine shop and electronic repair shop. Every manner of VHF antenna, cable, and connector. Industrial sewing machines.

Now, are they going to sit around bobbing and fixing every derelict boat that they pass? No. They're also equipped with a lot of ordinance and a bunch of guys eager to use it. I'm really surprised they didn't sink the Sea Nymph once it was determined that it wasn't going to be quickly fixed. (I would not be surprised if they did that, but didn't tell the passengers.) It is unseamanlike to leave a hull adrift like that and turn it into some other navigator's problem at an inconvenient time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tenders said:

I think you're being sarcastic but an amphib ship like that is indeed carrying all of those things, or is quickly capable of making substitutes if so inclined. There are easily 25 diesel engines of all sizes on that ship, between the ship's equipment and all the embarked Marine landing stuff it is likely carrying. Miles of steel cable for cranes and blocks to lift and drag things around. An impressive machine shop and electronic repair shop. Every manner of VHF antenna, cable, and connector. Industrial sewing machines.

Now, are they going to sit around bobbing and fixing every derelict boat that they pass? No. They're also equipped with a lot of ordinance and a bunch of guys eager to use it. I'm really surprised they didn't sink the Sea Nymph once it was determined that it wasn't going to be quickly fixed. (I would not be surprised if they did that, but didn't tell the passengers.) It is unseamanlike to leave a hull adrift like that and turn it into some other navigator's problem at an inconvenient time.

Good to know.  I wasn’t familiar with the nature of the ship and it seemed improbable to me that it would be stocked with ordinary small sailboat stuff.  Allow me to remove the sarcastic smirk I wore when I posted that comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

She has trouble answering direct questions without making a joke or attaching a story first. Kind of like arguing with one of my kids. They will focus on and expand a small detail that you got wrong (because decoding what they say can be very difficult and prone to errors) while ignoring the the bigger questions.

I thouht onley my wife didde stuffe licke that.......               :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tenders said:

I'm really surprised they didn't sink the Sea Nymph once it was determined that it wasn't going to be quickly fixed. (I would not be surprised if they did that, but didn't tell the passengers.)

That's what they have done in other cases and I'm surprised too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Did you, or did you not claim to have increased your boats draft by two feet? 

she said it like 9 times on TV, it's everywhere and NOW shes back tracking it? Im just gunna mute her. How long until Clean nukes the thread again to protect her?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, wristwister said:

Come on people, didn't you read Jen's post above about skydiving from no fewer than 13 different airplanes, including a DC-10? You need to jump all over that as a diversion to the lost-at-sea BS. Play the game right!

She also was a surfer that robbed banks

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 2:39 PM, axolotl said:

Your offshore assessment with limited charts is accurate. As COMMS ( the calling station on chanel {channel} 16) indicated, the lagoon is way too shallow for even small boats to safely enter.  And they have history of shunning private yachts who wish to enter (not the lagoon, the paperwork).  All small yachts anchor in the protected area just below London north of the Cook Island Passage.  There's no shipyard that could do mast repairs, etc.  Fuel, food (consumables) are available but pricey.  All this info is available online or in a south seas cruising guide. I understand you didn't have those resources.

When last I was there the lagoon was plenty deep for small boats. Indeed, yachts occasionally worked their way into the harbor behind London because it's is very protected. Most don't because the flies can be annoying and there can be issues being so close to town  Also, the lagoon is full of coral and it requires good light and care or local knowledge to transit it to the harbor. So it's not popular with the yachties. The offshore anchorage is vast and easy to approach. It would have been a good place to stop for help. 

FWIW, there is an airstrip that sometimes has scheduled commercial flights. I wouldn't call it an airport. Parts and people can be imported. Indeed, the first time I was on Christmas I flew there to help fix a yacht and deliver it back to Oahu.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Thread Killer said:

Did you, or did you not claim to have increased your boats draft by two feet? 

Well, she did claim to have added 6 tons of fiberglass and steel - which would almost do it.:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11.12.2017 at 7:50 PM, Thread Killer said:

Yes. Jen is a story teller. As she says, she is living the fantasy. That means that her experiences must be very special, if they weren't it wouldn't be a fantasy life now would it? 

breathtaking guys your effort to believe in the rationality ("a" rationality) of the story! "devils triangle/sea" & "the tiger sharks episode" tell us everything there is to know. there IS no truth to be gotten at, looking at the very first vid from onboard the navy vessel should tell you that! we shouldn't ask J.A., maybe a psychatrist could shed more light on the whole "tale"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2017 at 1:42 PM, Uncooperative Tom said:

I like the optimism.

I was assuming she knew a pin from a bolt so was talking about the bolt. As I said upthread, the only purpose I saw for all the lashing is to avoid spreader stretch. Because, you know, things under compression stretch.

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And why does this matter??? The "damaged" spreader is on the stbd side, so not under load. There remains a static compression load from the upper shroud, but there is never a 'stretch' loading. One could sail on port tack with NO stbd spreader at all!

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

I had wondered if what they were looking at was a lose upper shroud on the starboard side. And no cause for drama.

Unkle Crusty

Whearre the fuck ist tensionmometiere when we neede herre?                                      :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2017 at 6:36 AM, RKoch said:

CCA style hull, WL is short, maybe 30'.

I think if it's a regi error, it's prob nearly impossible to correct thru beauracracy, so it's stuck since original owner. Might have been an intended error for cheaper regi? It's not like anyone was ever going to actually measure the boat

My first boat was a Cal 27.  I bought it and transferred the slip to my name. The city marina required it to be measured, even though it was the same boat in the same slip.  I protested but they made me bring it over to the harbor master for measurement.  Idiots there gave me a new “shorter” overall length and that reduced my fee by $15 per month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, longy said:

And why does this matter??? The "damaged" spreader is on the stbd side, so not under load. There remains a static compression load from the upper shroud, but there is never a 'stretch' loading. One could sail on port tack with NO stbd spreader at all!

So the spreader stretching meme isn't going to catch on, huh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

You should definitely take this question with you when you attend your first navigation class.

Link to post
Share on other sites

   Please explain who/what convinced you to use "5/8" amsteel" for a halyard????  With 52,500 lbs min break strength it could almost pick up the boat - and there is no such thing visible in your video of the stern of the boat. At close to $5.50 or so a foot, that's some serious money

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity. Posting here will not end well. Do you really think you can bullshit the people on here?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2017 at 2:16 PM, W9GFO said:

I thought Hawaii was rabies free, meaning that coming from Hawaii there is no need for quarantine.

Islands that are rabies free don’t care where you are coming from, animals must be tested or quarantined or both.  They leave nothing to chance.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity. Posting here will not end well. Do you really think you can bullshit the people on here?

 

It is port tack to the big island all through summer and then at least half way to Kiritimati. After that it depends when the northern trades disappear. If you are far enough East when the wind changes you might make it in close hauled on port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Whearre the fuck ist tensionmometiere when we neede herre?                                      :)

From the spinlock tension thread.... 

9AF0CCAC-9C8D-4BB7-A558-71F5DAC97A1F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, savoir said:

It is port tack to the big island all through summer and then at least half way to Kiritimati. After that it depends when the northern trades disappear. If you are far enough East when the wind changes you might make it in close hauled on port.

My post wasn't particularly about that post. It was about everything she says. Her 15 minutes are up. It only goes one way from here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the Ed & crew aren't big Latitude38 fans,  but... if you get the chance,  see this months letters - after their dismal review of the misadventures of these two by the magazine,  a few comments were printed,  all fairly rational -and thus negative about the skills, judgement and stability of the pair. 

No surprises there...then I notice the first short letter they printed was from Webb Chiles !    Now,  a nicer, more low-key and accomplished sailor you would hard-pressed to find anywhere, and if HE thinks they are unskilled kooks,  that covers it for me - his closing comment that this trip amounted to cruelty to animals !

Ouch. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

I know the Ed & crew aren't big Latitude38 fans,  but... if you get the chance,  see this months letters - after their dismal review of the misadventures of these two by the magazine,  a few comments were printed,  all fairly rational -and thus negative about the skills, judgement and stability of the pair. 

No surprises there...then I notice the first short letter they printed was from Webb Chiles !    Now,  a nicer, more low-key and accomplished sailor you would hard-pressed to find anywhere, and if HE thinks they are unskilled kooks,  that covers it for me - his closing comment that this trip amounted to cruelty to animals !

Ouch. 

 

This is one of the enduring mysteries. The girls and *especially the dogs* didn't look at all like they had been confined onboard for that long.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, TonyFromSheepsheadBay said:

A DC10.   Yeah sure. And  I can see Russia from my house .

Probably a typo on her part, she meant the DC-9 based in Perris, Ca.

5463.jpg.d69814209834c35a11a7527b5a37b032.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Probably a typo on her part, she meant the DC-9 based in Perris, Ca.

5463.jpg.d69814209834c35a11a7527b5a37b032.jpg

 

Nah, she mentioned both in the same post.  And typos rarely substitute two digits for one; while zero is next to nine, that one is way across the other side.  She meant DC10.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a sailing newbie, but I wonder why one would drift aimlessly rather than sail the rig until it broke?  Damaged is not the same as incapacitated.  I don't think I'd quit sailing because it might break the mast or whatever; I think I'd quit sailing when I'd broken the mast.  I don't think I'd drift in a largely intact boat unless that is what I wanted to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

Nah, she mentioned both in the same post.  And typos rarely substitute two digits for one; while zero is next to nine, that one is way across the other side.  She meant DC10.

 

I'm sorry, typo is the wrong word.  Brainfart on her part, not a typo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

My post wasn't particularly about that post. It was about everything she says. Her 15 minutes are up. It only goes one way from here.

Yeah, but now if you want a holiday in Kiritimati you will know how to get there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, axolotl said:

Probably a typo on her part, she meant the DC-9 based in Perris, Ca.

5463.jpg.d69814209834c35a11a7527b5a37b032.jpg

 

yes we should cut her some slack. its not like she has ever spoken bullshit before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoHo said:

I am a sailing newbie, but I wonder why one would drift aimlessly rather than sail the rig until it broke?  Damaged is not the same as incapacitated.  I don't think I'd quit sailing because it might break the mast or whatever; I think I'd quit sailing when I'd broken the mast.  I don't think I'd drift in a largely intact boat unless that is what I wanted to do.

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging. Sprouts. Cheese. Rotting Mahi in the rigging. Chickens. Buttery smashed taters. Practicing the 1,000 yard stare. (Apparently) Bending Q Tips. Free tows. Meeting friendly rescuers. Spoiled oats when water somehow penetrates a paper bag. Best of all, no worries and almost no budget!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whisper said:

Ah, you mean she was bullshitting again.

No, I'm saying her claim of skydiving out of a DC10, which appears impossible  on the InterWebs, if ever posted by her was a remembrance mistake on her part and she's skydived out of a DC-9, maybe other commercial jets and probably some other exotic jet powered jump airplanes.

Bullshitting is making up stuff or denying obviously true stuff with an alternate explanations.  This "what planes has she jumped out of " is is a diversion. I'm more interested in the particulars concerning her voyage,  the boat preparations prior to departure, system failures, the Navy rescue. stuff like that, where she has obviously bulshitted in the past but has admitted to some inaccuracies (Force 11 Storm, the shark attack, etc.).

The reason I'm still here is the actual person (Appel) has had the balls to post here prolifically.  I'll gloss over her wandering  responses and  center on specific  tidbits:

  • She states Clean has copies of the mast repair invoice(s), other bills, etc., a treasure trove of GPS Coords in some quizzical format which is apparently undecipherable and much more hard copy which will explain her voyage.
  • Because Appel had a few hours to abandon ship, she apparently  salvaged gobs of thumb drives, documents, cellphones, handheld GPS's and corroborating stuff.
  • She claims the US Navy has recordings of all contacts with her boat and the Taiwanese tow vessel and will vindicate her concerning the tow and ultimate abandonment.

So, show me the money shot!  When will Clean, Appel, and the US military publish their shit and clarify Appel's voyage?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging.

Sure, except Thor Heyerdahl knew where he was going and got there...

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, axolotl said:

 

The reason I'm still here is the actual person (Appel) has had the balls to post here prolifically. 

Not seeing any balls here. 

Pictured: A naked Appel dangling from a ceiling contraption in a seductive dance

Link to post
Share on other sites

axolotl above mentions boat preparations and system failures.

We know that the boat prep did not include an auto helm or self steering device.

And we can only assume the diesel inboard got them out of the harbour, but soon failed.

The mast probably would have held up sails even without properly functioning spreaders.

The communication system was not up to snuff. But somehow the fresh water supply lasted.

My conclusion is a crew with insufficient experience for the task at hand. Even tho there may be a history of some minor achievements.

I agree with whoever said they have had their 15 minutes.

Unkle Crusty

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LoHo said:
13 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

There's much to like about the Con Tiki style of voyaging.

Sure, except Thor Heyerdahl knew where he was going and got there...

Well, sorta, though Rimas has always managed a smoother arrival.

But Con Tiki voyaging isn't the same thing as Kon Tiki voyaging. One has a gofundme, the other doesn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites