Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

psycho tiller

3 hours ago, casc27 said:
5 hours ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

But Con Tiki voyaging isn't the same thing as Kon Tiki voyaging. One has a gofundme, the other doesn't.

My mistake...I thought it was a spelling error, not an ideological one.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..maybe t. heyerdahls name should not be besmirched by being mentioned in a JA context! he was a legend in his own time, a man larger than life, an innovative thinker if ever there was one, truly a man that "ran where others dared not to go", an inspiration for millions of youngsters like I was one

3 hours ago, tane said:

..maybe t. heyerdahls name should not be besmirched by being mentioned in a JA context! he was a legend in his own time, a man larger than life, an innovative thinker if ever there was one, truly a man that "ran where others dared not to go", an inspiration for millions of youngsters like I was one

I preffere to thick TH wase notte afraide folloe Oakumes Razorre and keepe thinges sippelle, simplicitey canbe innovatione.                         :)

On 12/13/2017 at 7:26 PM, LB 15 said:

Jen you really should just fold your tent and go back to anonymity.

Awwww - I keep trying - but then laughing at some of the things the SA regulars post - it just sucks me back in.

Besides, Its so much more fun to say something, have one of you carpal tunnels twist it, read the threaders who got their panties in a wad from reading the twisty "facts", going a few posts deeper to see someone who has a clue correct the error and I get to sit back and get a good laugh.

The only planes we jump out of have been retrofitted for skydiving - but hey, I can tell nobody actually went to the place I mentioned to read that part without flying off the handle...

20 pages and counting is really entertaining... when is Clean gonna post the gps track

1 hour ago, Jennifer said:

Awwww - I keep trying - but then laughing at some of the things the SA regulars post - it just sucks me back in.

Besides, Its so much more fun to say something, have one of you carpal tunnels twist it, read the threaders who got their panties in a wad from reading the twisty "facts", going a few posts deeper to see someone who has a clue correct the error and I get to sit back and get a good laugh.

The only planes we jump out of have been retrofitted for skydiving - but hey, I can tell nobody actually went to the place I mentioned to read that part without flying off the handle...

20 pages and counting is really entertaining... when is Clean gonna post the gps track

When are you going to give answers on the questions that have been asked? We are all just going around in circles like sharks in the living room 

On 12/14/2017 at 12:09 PM, LoHo said:

I am a sailing newbie, but I wonder why one would drift aimlessly rather than sail the rig until it broke?  Damaged is not the same as incapacitated.  I don't think I'd quit sailing because it might break the mast or whatever; I think I'd quit sailing when I'd broken the mast.  I don't think I'd drift in a largely intact boat unless that is what I wanted to do.

Welcome new guy.

You just won the "State the Blatantly Obvious" award.

Hey everyone, this guy just figured it out.  Thread over...

1 hour ago, strop said:

When are you going to give answers on the questions that have been asked? We are all just going around in circles like sharks in the living room 

she wont. i tried to give her the benefit of not being the complete moron i thought she was , because she came here ready to tell the tale. most likely even she doesn't know what in the fuck she was doing , it's probably a get famous scam , hence why her patna ain't talkin . she doesn't know how to sail , she doesn't know how to fix a god damn thing , and wastes everybody elses time and resources to fix her fuck-ups . but she is entertaining .

38 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

she wont. i tried to give her the benefit of not being the complete moron i thought she was , because she came here ready to tell the tale. most likely even she doesn't know what in the fuck she was doing , it's probably a get famous scam , hence why her patna ain't talkin . she doesn't know how to sail , she doesn't know how to fix a god damn thing , and wastes everybody elses time and resources to fix her fuck-ups . but she is entertaining .

{Content redacted} Take it to PA.

20 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Well don't say I didn't warn you.  You know that 'infamous'  and 'famous'  are not the same thing right?  You are giving all sex workers a bad name.

22 hours ago, Jennifer said:

Did you or did you not skydive out of a DC-10? If so, which one?

Put up or shut up.

1 minute ago, BillDBastard said:

Tough talk from the Eastern Shore.

You know bullying women is no longer in vogue, right?

Sorry you are offended.

"Could you kindly point us towards the DC-10 you parachuted out of for our education and entertainment or refrain from expressing your thoughts in this forum in the future"

OK or do you need a fainting couch?

57 minutes ago, longy said:

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane & jumping off a perfectly good sailboat - what's her next jump??

She jumped the shark a long time ago.

1 hour ago, longy said:

Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane & jumping off a perfectly good sailboat - what's her next jump??

Well, I am sure she just hasn't got to the part of the tale where she sailed to the edge of the flat earth and jumped off. Give her a minute though, it'll happen.

WL

1 hour ago, longy said:

Supposedly crashed and ejected (JUMPED OFF) from a perfectly good motorcycle, which obviously fried her brain waves.  So, I guess she is 3 for 3

I noticed nobody went to the Quincy World Freefall Convention - which used to be in Illinois - where I pointed ya - starting in the 1990's since Don has been very efficient at changing the types of planes he likes to have at the venue for up jumpers - but instead this thread went to California and Perris Valley

I've been honoring my agreement and waiting on Clean to post the things he got when we had the interview - and he hasn't so let's see if you guys and gals can stay on point while I post a few things and pose a few serious questions

(Since I plan to reference these posts to other media - and I know you like bashing - try to stay on point with your answers lest another "slow person" think you are serious and screw up and quote you to the land lubbers therein raising more issues than the sailing community might need at this point)

SO... I sent a few pictures to Harken to get their answers about some of the rigging with respect to the rigger's roller furler installation.

Question #1 -

Would you please take a look at the roller furler installation that was done on Sea Nymph and let me know if your rigging installers regularly grind down the toe plate to fit the toggle in place.

I would also like to know why the line kept jumping track while in use.

ANSWER RECEIVED: 

The line should not be winding up on top of the unit like that.  The line is lead thru the guard assembly correctly.  I will attach the manual for that furler so you can see how it should be lead.  Thanks

http://www.harken.com/uploadedfiles/Product_Support/PDF/4414.pdf

REPLY TO ANSWER:

I understand how to line it... The question is what are the reasons it jumps track?

The other question you did not answer... Is it normal for a rigger to grind the plate instead of getting a larger toggle?

Is there a benefit to this?

ANSWER RECEIVED:

The line is jumping because it is not lead correctly thru the guards.  How a rigger does that part is up to the rigger.  Thanks

I now pose to the SA Forum Community the same questions....

#1 Is it normal for a rigger to grind down a toe plate to install a roller furler instead of getting a larger toggle of the same strength as a too tight one? 

#1a) Is there a benefit to having the smaller one?

#2 Why, if the line was installed by the rigger correctly does it jump?

Please see the same pictures I sent ... for your answers.

OK - you only get two pictures and I had to reduce their size from the hi def version for this site

20171023_112344 - Copy.jpg

Jennifer, thanks for being here. 

I have some questions I would appreciate you could answer for me.  I have a feeling others here are interested in the answers as well.

I don't care about your rigging problems or any of the other technical issues.  Most of them are just BS and indicate your lack of knowledge and experience.  What I want to know is where were you on your voyage?  Why don't you comment on this?   The condition of your boat, the physical appearance of you, your companion and your dogs, and your story leave many questions that you haven't addressed.  It is obvious that nobody on the boat was in distress (human or animal), and that the boat was fundamentally sound.  It is obvious that you weren't sailing the entire time.  It is questionable if you were even drifting during much of this time.  So the main question is, where were you and what were you doing?   How much of it was motoring, how much was sailing and how much was aimlessly drifting?  Were you holed up in some remote location for some time?   From the state of the boat at the time of your rescue, it is obvious you could have sailed but chose not to.  Why?

Your story has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. You have the answers, why aren't you telling us?  I don't need a GPS track or anything else, all I want is for you to be honest about what you were doing and where.  You can certainly provide that information, why aren't you doing so?   When you get a question you don't like, you answer with some non- sequitur bull shit.  Why?  What is the real story?  Where were you and what were you doing there?  Why do you feel a need to confabulate, lie, exaggerate and otherwise obfuscate?  Do you have some kind of mental illness?  

If you can answer these questions, I would appreciate it.  If you don't answer or spew more of the usual BS, that tells me a lot as well.   You better hurry, your 15 minutes of fame have almost expired.

OK - you only get two pictures and I had to reduce their size from the hi def version for this site - naw, I am not a techie

awww... crap... now I had to post on facebook

go to facebook (jennifer appel) or shutterfly (sunrises sunsets pacific ocean) to see them -

but please answer here

3 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

OK - you only get two pictures and I had to reduce their size from the hi def version for this site - naw, I am not a techie

awww... crap... now I had to post on facebook

go to facebook (jennifer appel) or shutterfly (sunrises sunsets pacific ocean) to see them -

but please answer here

Thanks.  Just as I thought. You haven't answered shit.  That tells me all I need to know.  

3 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I have some questions I would appreciate you could answer for me.  I have a feeling others here are interested in the answers as well.

I don't care about your rigging problems or any of the other technical issues.  Most of them are just BS and indicate your lack of knowledge and experience.  What I want to know is where were you on your voyage?  Why don't you comment on this?   The condition of your boat, the physical appearance of you, your companion and your dogs, and your story leave many questions that you haven't addressed.  It is obvious that nobody on the boat was in distress (human or animal), and that the boat was fundamentally sound.  It is obvious that you weren't sailing the entire time.  It is questionable if you were even drifting during much of this time.  So the main question is, where were you and what were you doing?   How much of it was motoring, how much was sailing and how much was aimlessly drifting?  Were you holed up in some remote location for some time?   From the state of the boat at the time of your rescue, it is obvious you could have sailed but chose not to.  Why?

Your story has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. You have the answers, why aren't you telling us?  I don't need a GPS track or anything else, all I want is for you to be honest about what you were doing and where.  You can certainly provide that information, why aren't you doing so?   When you get a question you don't like, you answer with some non- sequitur bull shit.  Why?  What is the real story?  Where were you and what were you doing there?  Why do you feel a need to confabulate, lie, exaggerate and otherwise obfuscate?  Do you have some kind of mental illness?  

If you can answer these questions, I would appreciate it.  If you don't answer or spew more of the usual BS, that tells me a lot as well.   You better hurry, your 15 minutes of fame have almost expired.

First, I gave Clean all of this - giving SA the opportunity to have it first - but it has never appeared and I told him I would let him put this out.

You should care about the rigging - it was brand new.  If it had not failed - this is a starboard spreader while on a port tack coming loose and the shroud pulling the seizing wire out - which is relatively disconcerting on a brand new installation - which caused us not to be able to get where I wanted to go and ultimately landed me here...

and in some form or other I think all of this has been posted in this or the other thread...

1) Our planned voyage, that everyone I knew was aware of, was a multi-island long term sailing adventure.  It was NOT a one way trip to Tahiti.

2) We were NEVER lost at sea.  I have attached the confidential GPS locations that were sent to the US Coast Guard to this e-mail. You have my permission to print our gps locations to your readership provided it remains proprietary. 

3) We were NOT ADRIFT.  I do want sailors to know we did have some sail area or jury rig at all times wind was present.

4) The newly rigged starboard spreader began to fail within the first week out to sea on a PORT tack. I made several attempts to rectify this during the course of the trip and was unsuccessful, but did manage patches that allowed us to continue to what I hoped would be a safe harbor to correctly fix the rigger's error.

5) I never made a MAYDAY call.  I made pon pon calls when we failed to successfully return to O'ahu, hoping an experienced waterperson in the area might be able to give me a hand fixing the spreader and backstay so that we could continue our journey at speed.

6) The fishing vessel did not 'intend to help us' as reported by the media.  They were the reason I called for help. I have never seen a bilge fill so quickly.  When I cut away, they backed into us and sent people over the rail to keep us attached.  Should one have the fortitude to locate a copy of the initial SAR call or the return call when I said, "if you don't get somebody here immediately, we aren't going to make it", the researcher will find a completely different story about our encounter than what has been touted.

7) I am grateful the Navy came to assist us.  We were in serious trouble from item #6.  The Navy brought a new 4' antenna to attempt to rectify the communications issues, determined the motor could not be started and deemed the boat 'unseaworthy' because we could not get out of the way of either of the typhoons bearing down on us [in our currently rigged state].

8) I own the misstatements about the storm.  It was scary and also the most fun I ever had sailing that boat.  (Hard to print something saying I am having fun, even when our rescued bodies are healthy and in shape with smiles, if the spin is - lost at sea and struggling to survive.)

9) I own the misstatements about the tiger sharks.  I did see tiger sharks during the day but it has since been explained to me by shark experts that the animals we encountered at night were most probably orcas.

10) While on the USS Ashalnd, other than US Coast Guard or media conversations, we had limited outside contact.  I thought I had an attorney and PR person doing their jobs.  While in Japan Quarantine, I had even less contact with the outside world than on the Navy ship.  I was on the Today show within a few hours of landing from a 24 hour series of flights after leaving Japan Quarantine.  Nothing during the ocean voyage went as planned nor since our return to the United States.

11) We should all be able to agree that if the new rigging had remained intact, (as evidenced by our navigational ability to circle Christmas Island or locate 7.4km  Wake Island), we would have made our primary destination on time and none of the following events would have occurred.

12) We should all be able to agree that if the communications devices hooked up by the electrician were properly operational, this story would have turned out quite differently.

13) One may wonder why I haven't spoken up sooner or more eloquently.  I was emotionally distraught from the fishing vessel encounter, elated to be saved, embarrassed for saying things I should not have said to the press and decimated by the subsequent loss of my home. 

a) I have had to deal with an individual who has knowingly continued to perpetrate a hoax theory and non-use of an EPIRB story to raise questions of credibility in the media even though the US Coast Guard had knowledge of our gps locations prior to the media being unleashed by the Navy.

B) I am dealing with a Daily Mail reporter who failed to check facts to write a libelous article citing a convicted felon in the State of Georgia as their sole source of my sailing ability and private personal history.  It is the reason his parents moved him to Hawaii as a minor.

c) To add insult to injury, I have been dealing with a rigger who has lied to his insurance company.  For those who have never had the unfortunate position of hiring a professional who has refused to accept responsibility for their actions which ultimately cause you severe harm, I submit the following communications for your edification.  Please use it to learn from my mistakes.

Clean also has the final paid invoices from the rigger - which lists removing the spreader and making modifications

Clean has the final paid invoices from the electrician - stating the VHF was working properly - and we all know it wasn't by admission of Christmas Island, Wake Island calling stations and the Navy

These were the two things that failed on Sea Nymph

DO I need to post them for you to believe me?  Or are they more believable coming from Clean?

On 15/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, Jennifer said:

yay. Finally getting some answers. As for your question about the grinding down on the forestay. Yes I have done it on a few boats to make bits fit. Do you have any photos of the stb spreader end? This is the first case I have ever heard of siezing wire coming undone. I am curious to see how it happened. 

2 minutes ago, strop said:

yay. Finally getting some answers. As for your question about the grinding down on the forestay. Yes I have done it on a few boats to make bits fit. Do you have any photos of the stb spreader end? This is the first case I have ever heard of siezing wire coming undone. I am curious to see how it happened. 

grinding down on the forestay - I was pissed off because he didn't ask first and waited until I went to lunch to do it and while you agree - I have heard the opposite

-----------------

photos of the stb spreader end - on youtube videos show how I put it back together - it didn't cross my mind at the time to take a camera up the mast and hold on with one hand to document it while we were bouncing in 10' waves when I needed to make the patch

----------------

I am curious to see how it happened - spreader shaking

OK, thanks for the info.  So everybody is lying or failed to do their job.  Only you, your friend and the dogs know what really happened out there, yet you aren't telling us anything.  You are a victim of other's stupidity and incompetence. Got it.  

One final question.  You personally added 6 tons of ballast to your keel.  You did it so well that the modified keel with 12,000 pounds of additional weight is virtually indistinguishable from the stock keel. Well done!  Where did you get the depleted uranium?   You had a professional rigger repair/replace rigging on your boat.  Is there any reason, being the highly skilled sailor and boat builder that you are, that after major work on your boat in preparation for an extended cruise in the South Pacific, that you didn't go on a shakedown cruise to ensure everything was in order before you set out for the middle of nowhere?

4 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

grinding down on the forestay - I was pissed off because he didn't ask first and waited until I went to lunch to do it and while you agree - I have heard the opposite

-----------------

photos of the stb spreader end - on youtube videos show how I put it back together - it didn't cross my mind at the time to take a camera up the mast and hold on with one hand to document it while we were bouncing in 10' waves when I needed to make the patch

----------------

I am curious to see how it happened - spreader shaking

Well I guess we really only have your word for it. I have shaken the shit out of a lot of rigs in all sorts of weather and never had the issues you have had. 

Can you go into more detail the issue with the backstay?

17 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

OK, thanks for the info.  So everybody is lying or failed to do their job.  Only you, your friend and the dogs know what really happened out there, yet you aren't telling us anything.  You are a victim of other's stupidity and incompetence. Got it.  

One final question.  You personally added 6 tons of ballast to your keel.  You did it so well that the modified keel with 12,000 pounds of additional weight is virtually indistinguishable from the stock keel. Well done!  Where did you get the depleted uranium?   You had a professional rigger repair/replace rigging on your boat.  Is there any reason, being the highly skilled sailor and boat builder that you are, that after major work on your boat in preparation for an extended cruise in the South Pacific, that you didn't go on a shakedown cruise to ensure everything was in order before you set out for the middle of nowhere?

your friend - thanks for getting that correct - we are not lesbian lovers

------------------------

yet you aren't telling us anything - I'm confused - what answer did you not understand?

------------------------

You are a victim of other's stupidity and incompetence. Got it.   -  your words

-------------------------

that after major work on your boat in preparation for an extended cruise in the South Pacific, that you didn't go on a shakedown cruise to ensure everything was in order before you set out for the middle of nowhere? - who says we didn't?

In fact, it was after the shakedown that he changed the starboard spreader a second time (and only the starboard spreader because the port one was fine even under load) and gave me the green light

Of course Jennifer, thanks.  Your story and excuses smell even worse than the cabin of you boat must have smelled like after being occupied for months by 2 people and 2 dogs.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:49 PM, Jennifer said:

Which one of you geniuses has figured out the run between Oahu and big island and big island to Christmas island is entirely a PORT tack... 

Jenn, you have to stop blaming the rigger. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the installation of the roller furler and it would be an easy fix to re-run the line properly in the barrel if YOU knew anything about rigging yourself, which would have been a good thing...

The spreader would have also been an easy fix since you are in good shape and again, you didn’t have the skills to do the repair. Not blaming you for inexperience, just pointing it out. 

You should have taken the newly rigged boat out for a shakedown cruise to make sure all systems were working properly.

I will give you this though, you do know how to pack a parachute properly and you have the ability to stand up to criticism. I hope you get something out of this other than a bruised ego.

1 hour ago, soak_ed said:

I WILL TRY AGAIN TO BE MUCH MORE SPECIFIC

I don't care about your rigging problems or any of the other technical issues. 

YOU SHOULD - THEY ARE THE REASON I AM HERE INSTEAD OF SAILING

Most of them are just BS and indicate your lack of knowledge and experience.  

THAT IS YOUR OPINION

What I want to know is where were you on your voyage?  

PACIFIC OCEAN - I AM NOT BEING A SMART ASS - THAT IS WHERE WE WERE - NOBODY DISPUTES THAT EXCEPT LINUS WILSON (are you sure you didn't get sucked in to believing Linus' BS hoax theory?  I BELIEVE IT WAS Latitude38 OR WAVETRAIN THAT SQUASHED THAT.)

Why don't you comment on this?   

I HAVE

The condition of your boat, the physical appearance of you, your companion and your dogs, and your story leave many questions that you haven't addressed.  It is obvious that nobody on the boat was in distress (human or animal), and that the boat was fundamentally sound. 

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT - WE WERE NOT IN DISTRESS UNTIL WE MET THE FISHING VESSEL

IF YOU BELIEVE THE MEDIA SPIN THAT WE WERE LOST AT SEA AND UNHAPPY - THEN I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY YOU ARE CONFUSED

It is obvious that you weren't sailing the entire time. 

WHEN THERE WAS NO WIND - WE COULD NOT SAIL

It is questionable if you were even drifting during much of this time.  So the main question is, where were you and what were you doing?   

IT APPEARS YOU DO NEED THE GPS TRACK TO UNDERSTAND HOW WE COVERED MORE THAN 9500 NM

How much of it was motoring,

NONE

how much was sailing  

WHEN THERE WAS WIND

and how much was aimlessly drifting?

WHEN THERE WAS NO WIND

Were you holed up in some remote location for some time? 

NO

From the state of the boat at the time of your rescue, it is obvious you could have sailed but chose not to.  Why?

I SAID EARLIER AND WILL SAY AGAIN -- WE WERE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BOAT BECAUSE THE NAVY DECLARED THE BOAT UNSEAWORTHY ...

OUR INABILITY TO GET OUT OF THE PATH OF THE ONCOMING TYPHOONS / COMMS FAILURE

Your story has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese.

THE MEDIA'S STORY HAS MORE HOLES THAN A PIECE OF SWISS CHEESE

You have the answers, why aren't you telling us? 

I HAVE BEEN - ARE YOU LISTENING, READING?

I don't need a GPS track or anything else,

APPARENTLY YOU DO

all I want is for you to be honest about what you were doing and where. 

IS THIS LINUS?   

3) We were NOT ADRIFT.  I do want sailors to know we did have some sail area or jury rig at all times wind was present.

Got any jury rig pics?

What was your average speed under jury rig?

1 minute ago, Uncooperative Tom said:

Got any jury rig pics?

What was your average speed under jury rig?

THEY ARE IN THE VIDEOS (more than 1mb uploads) - the kites, the dolphins, wake island all show different configurations

average speed would have been a bit over 2 kts if you average the time and take into account wind and non-wind days

Your  "rigger" did not do a good job. Taking a grinder to your h/s chainplate is the last resort used when there is absolutely no other way to get the stay connected. It's a classic 'git 'er dun' move by someone who does not have the resources & knowledge to do it right. He/She is also responsible to get the furling line led properly. However, your description of the line "jumping the track" is nonsense. There is no 'track' for the line and it will never spool itself in nice tidy layers like a new spool of line at the store.

26 minutes ago, Jennifer said:

hold up - is someone suggesting that I shouldn't be upset about brand new rigging that failed to meet expectations?

Would any of you not be upset if you purchased something and it didn't work?  or caused you harm?

Any competent sailor and many less-than-competent ones know what a shakedown cruise is for. Even if I knew nothing about rigging, I'd do the shakedown, discover the problem, be upset, get the rigger to correct it, and do another shakedown long before setting out for the big water. You jumped right to the big water, so like it or not the responsibility is yours. 

2 hours ago, Jennifer said:

I WILL TRY AGAIN TO BE MUCH MORE SPECIFIC... Blah, blah, BS, BS, BS, blah, blah, blah...

Just as I thought, thank you.

No, I am not Linus, I am Ed.

The issue with the rigger if any, needed to be resolved prior to the voyage. Who knows what was said or done. It will not get resolved here.

I get more confused the more I read.  The explanations regarding the previous boat crash, the spreader, the engine no go, the roller furling, the back stay, the VHF and much more, have not helped to clarify much, IMO.

To further my knowledge I will try and find out what a pon pon is. I am still fuzzy about the tow and leaving the boat.

Call me confused but mildly entertained. Unkle Krusty

15 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

The issue with the rigger if any, needed to be resolved prior to the voyage. Who knows what was said or done. It will not get resolved here.

I get more confused the more I read.  The explanations regarding the previous boat crash, the spreader, the engine no go, the roller furling, the back stay, the VHF and much more, have not helped to clarify much, IMO.

To further my knowledge I will try and find out what a pon pon is. I am still fuzzy about the tow and leaving the boat.

Phoneticly correct, but Mispelling of, "Pan-Pan" emergency radio call, one level below "Mayday"

27 minutes ago, Unkle Crusty said:

Yeah, her competence and seaworthiness can be summed up with her evolution from “pahn pahn” to “pon pon.”

Seriously, what VHF owner/user does not know how to spell and use pan-pan?

Sécurité,

pan-pan,

Mayday.

Her willingness to believe other commenters about the orca story is also astounding.

It is pretty difficult to be in the presence of orcas without knowing it.  It takes very little light to make out the contrasting markings, the giant dorsal fin and, the horizontal flukes.  And, you don’t need a quiet ocean to hear all the unmistakable heavy breathing they do.

I SAID EARLIER AND WILL SAY AGAIN -- WE WERE ORDERED TO LEAVE THE BOAT BECAUSE THE NAVY DECLARED THE BOAT UNSEAWORTHY ...

I'm having timeline problems with your statement.   In your "Sea Nymph Rescue Damage ©" video you pan to the cockpit which is filled with duffels, etc., and comment "Here's all  the stuff we're taking with us to the Navy.", yet the video clearly shows an empty ocean surrounding your vessel.  Did the Navy declare your vessel unseaworthy and order you to prepare to abandon ship during the radio conversation you had with them *prior* to  their arrival on scene,  boarding and inspection of the Sea Nymph?  Seems unlikely.

And, in the video interview onboard the Navy vessel in port you stated "Had they not been able to locate us, we would have been dead in 24 hours." , inferring that the incompetent towing effort by the fishing boat would ultimately sink the Sea Nymph resulting in death by drowning, or more nefariously,  murder by the fishing vessel's crew.  Yet by the time the Navy arrived, the fishing vessel had given up on the tow and was long gone; the death by towing scenario no longer existed and you were adrift under bare poles in a calm sea.  Given that circumstance, had the Navy not been able to locate you, the Sea Nymph would have been in  roughly the same condition as prior to your encounter with the fishing vessel, albeit now with some broken chocks and bow roller, scuff marks on the hull and a broken wind generator.  Surely you could have survived 24 hours or possibly months longer.

The problems the Sea Nymph had, damaged spreader & backstay,  no radio comms, no engine, all developed early on in your voyage, yet you were able to navigate 9,000(?) miles safely until the Navy encounter.  None of those problems made the Sea Nymph inherently unseaworthy,  just less than bristol.  Food, water and floating on her lines, able to navigate, crew in good health equals seaworthy.  The record is filled with sailboats who self rescued with much more serious problems (dismasted, no rudder, major hull  damage, limited stores, crew sickness/injury).  I strongly suspect the Navy would not *order* the Sea Nymph be abandoned over the protestations of the vessel's owner given the Navy's and your video's evidence of its condition upon abandonment.

Also in the onboard Navy interview you  said "We would very much like to recover the vessel."   Why attempt to recover a vessel  which allegedly  the Navy (and/or the owner) has declared "unseaworthy?"  Since then there's been no record of any attempt to do so on your part.  The Sea Nymph's position  was precisely known, and a position transmitter could have been left on the boat, the sails  and boom stowed below, hatches battened,  helm locked down,  confirm bilge pumps and power supply (solar)are operational, commercial salvage  options explored, etc.  I imagine your wish would  be for the Sea Nymph to drift unaided  until close to an inhabited shoreline, then towed into a harbor (see Rimas Meleshyus for the protocol).  A realistic way to have saved the Sea Nymph would have been to tough it out for another month or so and self rescue by navigating to the nearest harbor which could accommodate her unusual draft.

Presently, if the Sea Nymph is recovered by an opportunistic salvage operation they will own the Sea Nymph free and clear, not you.  You abandoned the vessel, it is no longer yours.  It's wishful thinking some Samaritan will tow it in, give you a call, and ask you to come pick it up.  I think you realize this, and stated in the Navy video "If not, we would like to build the unsinkable, unbreakable boat [and depart next May]."  The chutzpah is astounding; didn't you just spend two years adding 8 1/2 tons of reinforcement to the Sea Nymph, which when last seen was unsunken, unbroken and occupied by crew in good health?  If not the Sea Nymph,  then what boat is more appropriate for your voyaging tastes?  And isn't it possible you could buy a suitable boat instead of build it?  Maybe one more fleet of foot, with a sturdy double spreader rig which doesn't shake so alarmingly?  I doubt you'll be casting off the dock lines with such a boat next May on a voyage into the South Pacific  .  .  .

21 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Her willingness to believe other commenters about the orca story is also astounding.

It is pretty difficult to be in the presence of orcas without knowing it.  It takes very little light to make out the contrasting markings, the giant dorsal fin and, the horizontal flukes.  And, you don’t need a quiet ocean to hear all the unmistakable heavy breathing they do.

The Orca’s could hear them from miles away if I’m correct about their sense of hearing

1 hour ago, Unkle Crusty said:

To further my knowledge I will try and find out what a pon pon is.

Here you are:

PON PON

English translation:

What if everyone around

Decided to go skipping all across the town?

And what if they collided in the city streets

And everyone held hands and looked up into the sky, now?

If everyone would look around from where they stand

And open up and learn to give and take a chance

Then that will be the hope to chase away my cries

So don't worry and move forward with your head held high, -igh -igh

PON PON let it out

C'mon, let the crazy show

Because if you don't

Life would be so dull, you know

Headphones on my ears

Rhythm's got me jammin' here

WAY WAY open road

Gotta make it on my own

PON PON can't you see

Boundless possibilities?

DON DON hear that beat?

Sounds like it's your heart to me

POI POI make a change

Throw bad history away

Slow and steadily

Ah-ah, you make me happy

Every day PON

Every time is PON

Jump on a carousel and don't let go

Every day PON

Every time is PON

We cannot stay like this, but even so

PON PON let it out

Because if you don't

Headphones on my ears

WAY WAY open road

Gotta make it on my own

What if everyone around

PON PON can't you see

Boundless possibilities?

DON DON hear that beat?

POI POI make a change

Throw bad history away

Slow and steadily

Ah-ah, you make me happy

Every day PON

Every time is PON

Every day PON

Every time is PON

Jennifer: I'd ask AGAIN for pictures of the logbook of the voyage, but I suspect I'll be ignored/avoided again, "Mr Clean has those details" being a staple dodge, maybe Mr Clean has stopped giving a shit and is letting you hang yourself in the forum, or more likely is doing something far more important- like having a beer, or maybe a nap.

My guess(and it's only a guess) is that you're holding back any real details for an exclusive book/movie deal. Why else would you keep dodging questings and reapeatedly repeatedly repetedly avoid posting any details of value.

Why would anyone take a photo of something that can be fixed in about 10 seconds? What was the purpose of this? Were you getting evidence to support your story and future book deal? Having taught some 8000 people to work a roller furler it is obvious what happened.

1/ By just letting the furler line smoke out it has wrapped around the forestay.

2/ in trying to fix it you have re run the line missing the last lead block.

3/ Saying it 'Jumped the track' shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Like most things in your narrative it neither stands up to scrutiny by experienced sailors nor makes any sense. Poor you - apparently everyone you meet either wants to rip you off, lie about your history or sexually assault you. Everything that goes wrong in your life is someone else's fault. When asked direct questions you avoid answering, change the subject or deflect the conversation with some irrelevant BS. When caught out lying (giant attack sharks, only boat to survive the dragons triangle, 3 day force 11 ect ect) you claim you were simply mistaken. At first i thought you were simply disillusion but since you started posting here it is obvious that you are just a compulsive liar and an attention whore. 

Enjoy your 15 mins of fame.

10 hours ago, Jennifer said:

(Since I plan to reference these posts to other media - and I know you like bashing - try to stay on point with your answers lest another "slow person" think you are serious and screw up and quote you to the land lubbers therein raising more issues than the sailing community might need at this point)

WTF does this word salad mean? Is this some kind of threat? Do you plan to extend your victim narrative in other media? Good luck with that. 

Jen,

I do not believe you are capable of evaluating starboard spreader or leeward shroud behavior on a port tack, nor backstay behavior.  Why?  Because you constantly display your ignorance every time you open your mouth.

What am I talking about?  Pan-pan, furling line issues, your dyneema “patches,” the sharks, current, force 11, epirb penalties, 6 tons of fiberglass, claims of 8+ draft when we have pics of your bottom paint on the last splash, Navy “orders” to abandon ship due to unseaworthiness of a boat they had not yet seen, and the mythical 24/7/365 port tack.  And lets not forget the dates and paths of those typhoons you were so afraid of.

Nothing you say makes any sense.  I’ve never been offshore for more than a week without the winds shifting and/or reversing for a day or so.  In 5 months you must have experienced that.  Did you remain on port tack despite wind conditions?  Perhaps that explains your idiotic track (as you have described it).

Why did you tighten the shrouds?  That was probably a huge mistake.  How do leeward wire shrouds typically behave? Do you know?

No, Jennifer, I think you are so ignorant that you don’t even know how little you know.  That is the only explanation I can find for your ridiculous stories and subsequent explanations.  You don’t seem to understand that experienced sailors can see right through your BS.

Oh, and I love your psychic abilities to ascertain the intentions of sharks, dolphins and Taiwanese fisherman.  I was a commercial fisherman, and I can tell you they have far more important things to do than take a sailboat hostage.  Towing is a HUGE inconvenience that they would not undertake unless they believed, based on your statements, that they were assisting you.

On 12/15/2017 at 5:23 AM, Uncooperative Tom said:

But Con Tiki voyaging isn't the same thing as Kon Tiki voyaging. One has a gofundme, the other doesn't.

What? Are you kidding?

No one -- but NO ONE -- lays down a heavier grift like academics out for research funding!
Academics give each other awards for the efficacy of their grifting -- I mean Grant Proposals.
You think Thor Heyerdahl laid down a single cent of his own money on his expeditions?
No man. He flogged his theories and game plans to whomever would listen and hit them up for cash.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:52 PM, Jennifer said:

... when is Clean gonna post the gps track

I don't think the stored track on the Garmin hand-held will offer any new insights. Those units don't save very much data and the oldest stuff just scrolls off the end of the list. There might be some sort of forensics that can be done--like a special mode that law enforcement can access--but I don't think so.

I don't understand what Clean's problem with the data dump is; I've downloaded 3 generations of Garmin hand-helds onto Mac and PC. It just takes a cable and freely available software.

23 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

I don't think the stored track on the Garmin hand-held will offer any new insights. Those units don't save very much data and the oldest stuff just scrolls off the end of the list. There might be some sort of forensics that can be done--like a special mode that law enforcement can access--but I don't think so.

I don't understand what Clean's problem with the data dump is; I've downloaded 3 generations of Garmin hand-helds onto Mac and PC. It just takes a cable and freely available software.

Did you listen to Clean in the interview audio? I think he is likely still stoned and that is interfering with his ability to decipher the gps data situation.

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

Yeah, her competence and seaworthiness can be summed up with her evolution from “pahn pahn” to “pon pon.”

Once again the nasty and incompetent media types mis-quoted her.  She was simply asking if they had any Grey Poupon. 

Edit, my bad...the "pahn pahn" and "pon pon" are actual Jen quotes

4 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Still wanna know what freaking DC-10 has people jumping out of it :lol:

* hint for non-pilots: Jumping out of jet airplanes can be quite dangerous. The only jet airplanes I know of used for parachuting have *rear exits* like the 727 and DC-9.

I think she “clarified” and said she meant a DC3.  As if a Gooney Bird could be mistaken for a jumbo jet.

8 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Jenn, you have to stop blaming the rigger. There doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the installation of the roller furler and it would be an easy fix to re-run the line properly in the barrel if YOU knew anything about rigging yourself, which would have been a good thing...

The spreader would have also been an easy fix since you are in good shape and again, you didn’t have the skills to do the repair. Not blaming you for inexperience, just pointing it out. 

You should have taken the newly rigged boat out for a shakedown cruise to make sure all systems were working properly.

I will give you this though, you do know how to pack a parachute properly and you have the ability to stand up to criticism. I hope you get something out of this other than a bruised ego.

What do you mean nothing wrong with the installation of the furler? I saw two things and there were probably three things but I couldn't see any grinding on the tang.

And as far as blaming the rigger, who else do you blame? I have done pretty much every aspect of boat prep for anything from short-course racing to ocean passages but when I have come against problems or installations I don't feel confident repairing or installing myself, I hire a professional. You take a leap of faith, trusting someone else with your safety.

(1) The fairlead closest to the drum is not positioned properly to prevent the furling line from over-riding the drum. This is critical to any furling set-up. It is so critical that many brands have a fixed fairlead attached directly to the non-swiveling part of the assembly. Like this:
Hooter6.JPG

In any event, the furling line needs to enter and exit the drum at 90-degrees to the axis of rotation. It's hard to see in the photos, but the lead looks too far aft which would cause the furling line to over-ride the drum at the top of the drum. The responsibility for the proper installation and positioning of the final fairlead falls squarely on the hired professional.

(2) This is a judgement call but the furling drum is too high off the deck. The farther the drum is away from a fixed fairlead, the more difficult it is to get a fairlead positioned so it can prevent the furling line from over-riding the drum.

Experienced sailors will recognize those problems with the furler and be able to fix it underway with no compromise to safety or the value of the boat. But the dirty little truth that no one admits is that furlers are not magic sail-handling devices. There are methods for proper operation and there is a learning curve. Furlers are great labor-saving devices but they still take some knowledge and strength to operate problem-free.

(3) Assuming the tang was ground down to fit a smaller shackle, that is a hack solution. Horrible solution. Pay the extra $50 for a more appropriate shackle! Removing metal from a critical piece of hardware is not good.

Re: the spreader: None of us has seen the spreader installation without that rat's nest of line covering up everything. I reserve any comment on whether or not it could be fixed underway until we see it without the line covering everything up. But again, a job performed by a professional carries some expectation of being performed correctly. If the same guy who hacked up that furler installation did the spreader job, I have seen enough to warrant a careful inspection of all his or her other work.

Re: shakedown cruise: Yes. Every boat should have several shakedown trips and lists should be made and problems attended to. That presupposes that the people on the shakedown cruises know what they're looking for. More often than one might deem ideal, boats leave without such experienced preparations. Sometimes it's time constraints, sometimes it's lack of awareness about what should be looked at. Whatever; inadequate shakedowns are de rigueur in the cruising and racing world. And due to the general robustness of yachts, more often than not, inadequately prepared boats successfully complete voyages.

5 hours ago, Whisper said:

Seriously, what VHF owner/user does not know how to spell and use pan-pan?

Sécurité,

pan-pan,

Mayday.

Please: "m'aidez"

19 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:

Please: "m'aidez"

attachment.php?attachmentid=2951578&stc=

And from officially bilingual Canada, with apologies for the weird formatting:

The radiotelephone Alarm Signal consists of the continuous alte
rnate transmission of two audio tones of different pitch for
a period of at least thirty seconds but not
to exceed one minute. The sound of this
tone is similar to that used by some
ambulances.
The Alarm Signal is used by Canadian MCTS Centres to alert ships:
i)
that a mayday relay broadcast is about to follow; or
ii)
that a Tsunami warning, which shoul
d be preceded by the Urgency Signal
(PAN PAN) is about to follow; or
iii)
that the transmission of an urgent cy
clone warning, which shoul
d be preceded by the Safety Signal (SÉCURITÉ), is
about to follow.
The Alarm Signal transmitted by the coast ra
dio station will normally be sent for a
period not exceeding thirty (30) seconds
and will be followed by a ten
(10) second continuous tone.
The
Distress Signal
consists of the word “MAYDAY"

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why would anyone take a photo of something that can be fixed in about 10 seconds? What was the purpose of this? Were you getting evidence to support your story and future book deal? Having taught some 8000 people to work a roller furler it is obvious what happened.

1/ By just letting the furler line smoke out it has wrapped around the forestay.

2/ in trying to fix it you have re run the line missing the last lead block.

3/ Saying it 'Jumped the track' shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yup, nothing to see here.  Harken furlers are first rate, and this setup with a ridiculously long toggle with no visible fairlead choke sheave for the furler line doesn't look right.

But that's just me.  I've sailed on many sloops where the "furler" system (badly installed Fancor, bare wire furling systems) actually  hindered the safety of the boat, unable to furl in high winds, unable to peel to a smaller sail when needed, stuck with a rolled up genoa with its windage, etc.

Personally, the ability to drop the foresail and replace it with a better suited foresail is critical.  For Appel, apparently not.

Jen, I’m glad you’re conceding the “force 11 farce, but you’re still not being honest.

In the thread Clean deleted, you claimed you based your statement on wind generator sounds, charging amperage, and ANEMOMETER READINGS, among other things.  Now you claim you were just scared and it was the most fun sailing you did in that boat.  (Let me tell you something—force 11 sailing is not fun).

So, you lied about the anemometer readings?  Yes, you did.

In other places, you relied on a small craft advisory as prood of your “storm.” You even posted a sat pic of some benign clouds, claiming each white spot was a “storm.”  You worked pretty hard to dupe the world about your “force 11.”

You have been very dishonest with us, yet you blame the media for all the holes in your story.  Get a clue, Jen—your outright lies destroyed your credibility—nobody else did that to you.

5 hours ago, Franza said:

Jennifer: I'd ask AGAIN for pictures of the logbook of the voyage, but I suspect I'll be ignored/avoided again, "Mr Clean has those details" being a staple dodge, maybe Mr Clean has stopped giving a shit and is letting you hang yourself in the forum, or more likely is doing something far more important- like having a beer, or maybe a nap.

My guess(and it's only a guess) is that you're holding back any real details for an exclusive book/movie deal. Why else would you keep dodging questings and reapeatedly repeatedly repetedly avoid posting any details of value.

Not to mention her stating something about copyright with respects to her gps track...

Something to clarify, the reason for getting a tow was to get out of the way of an approaching "typhoon". Was there actually a typhoon, or was it a tropical depression? I thought it was 26w that was mentioned but that doesn't look like it would have affected her. 

12 hours ago, Jennifer said:
.  Should one have the fortitude to locate a copy of the initial SAR call or the return call when I said, "if you don't get somebody here immediately, we aren't going to make it", 

So its your word against that of the US Navy.

picard-facepalm.jpg

13 hours ago, Jennifer said:
While on the USS Ashalnd, other than US Coast Guard or media conversations, we had limited outside contact.  I thought I had an attorney and PR person doing their jobs.  

Who the fuck hires an lawyer and a PR person as soon as they are rescued? FMD.

triple.face_.palm_.jpg

6 hours ago, axolotl said:

Here you are:

PON PON

English translation:

What if everyone around

PON PON let it out

Because if you don't

Headphones on my ears

WAY WAY open road

Gotta make it on my own

PON PON can't you see

Boundless possibilities?

DON DON hear that beat?

POI POI make a change

Throw bad history away

Slow and steadily

Ah-ah, you make me happy

Every day PON

Every time is PON

Every day PON

Every time is PON

PON PON let it out

Because if you don't

Headphones on my ears

WAY WAY open road

Gotta make it on my own

What if everyone around

PON PON can't you see

Boundless possibilities?

DON DON hear that beat?

POI POI make a change

Throw bad history away

Slow and steadily

Ah-ah, you make me happy

Every day PON

Every time is PON

Every day PON

Every time is PON

This place just got even weirder!!

its as if they’ve let all the lunatics out for Christmas:lol:

Nothing during the ocean voyage went as planned nor since our return to the United States.

Like anyone believing a single claim you have made?

main-qimg-a35af10f8d87a3bf953f4dee9141e4df

I have had to deal with an individual who has knowingly continued to perpetrate a hoax theory and non-use of an EPIRB story to raise questions of credibility in the media even though the US Coast Guard had knowledge of our gps locations prior to the media being unleashed by the Navy.

Oh do you think that is why you have zero credibility? Your credibility was finished the second you started flaping that motor mouth of yours.

200_s.gif

B) I am dealing with a Daily Mail reporter who failed to check facts to write a libelous article citing a convicted felon in the State of Georgia as their sole source of my sailing ability and private personal history.  It is the reason his parents moved him to Hawaii as a minor.

That's quite the lawyer you have hired. Did he advise you to make defamatory statements on an public forum to counter allegedly defamatory statements? Did he learn his great photo shopping skills in the big house? Or are you claiming this isn't you?

IMG_5298.JPG

image.jpg