Two sailors and dogs rescued after 5 months

psycho tiller

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why would anyone take a photo of something that can be fixed in about 10 seconds? What was the purpose of this? Were you getting evidence to support your story and future book deal? Having taught some 8000 people to work a roller furler it is obvious what happened.

1/ By just letting the furler line smoke out it has wrapped around the forestay.

2/ in trying to fix it you have re run the line missing the last lead block.

3/ Saying it 'Jumped the track' shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

That's a pretty fair explanation.

8 minutes ago, Somebody Else said:
6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Why would anyone take a photo of something that can be fixed in about 10 seconds? What was the purpose of this? Were you getting evidence to support your story and future book deal? Having taught some 8000 people to work a roller furler it is obvious what happened.

1/ By just letting the furler line smoke out it has wrapped around the forestay.

3/ Saying it 'Jumped the track' shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

We're in "jumped the shark" territory.

1 hour ago, longy said:

better visibility & no chafe.

'Sailor' is one of the worlds two oldest professions and avoiding chafe is a big part of both. 

7 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

I'd bet on that theory.

Jib came out like a bullet with no tension on the furling line.

21 hours ago, longy said:

Your  "rigger" did not do a good job. Taking a grinder to your h/s chainplate is the last resort used when there is absolutely no other way to get the stay connected. It's a classic 'git 'er dun' move by someone who does not have the resources & knowledge to do it right. He/She is also responsible to get the furling line led properly. However, your description of the line "jumping the track" is nonsense. There is no 'track' for the line and it will never spool itself in nice tidy layers like a new spool of line at the store.

Depends there on grinding the head stay chain plate down. I am guessing the chain plate size on the boat was well over specced and he was limited on what size wire he could use to get it down the furler and that then dictates the swage fitting you can put on the bottom. Becareful what you say in this thread as Jen will take it as gospel. 

There were easily 5 - 6 alternate ways of attaching the h/s to the existing tang that did not involve the grinder. This issue should have been spotted on initial inspection of the job & planned for at that time.

On 12/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Jennifer said:

Clean also has the final paid invoices from the rigger - which lists removing the spreader and making modifications

Clean has the final paid invoices from the electrician - stating the VHF was working properly - and we all know it wasn't by admission of Christmas Island, Wake Island calling stations and the Navy

These were the two things that failed on Sea Nymph

DO I need to post them for you to believe me?  Or are they more believable coming from Clean?

You sent me the same shit you hav on your computer.  it is not particularly useful to the story, so i did not post it.  Feel free to post them if you feel like it is worth it.  

Looks like not much memory taken up on the GPS btw, and it may be corrupted.  A smart guy is working on it.

39 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You sent me the same shit you hav on your computer.  it is not particularly useful to the story, so i did not post it.  Feel free to post them if you feel like it is worth it.  

Looks like not much memory taken up on the GPS btw, and it may be corrupted.  A smart guy is working on it.

Her bullshit piles higher and deeper.

Also, why all the focus on the grinding of the chainplate?  It did not fail.  It is just another red herring.

Cant fix a bolt, you should limit yourself to coastal sailing

Cant enter a harbour, Kiribati, you should not even sail coastal, go back to pond sailing (or start there).

On 12/17/2017 at 3:58 AM, Jennifer said:

You should care about the rigging - it was brand new.  If it had not failed - this is a starboard spreader while on a port tack coming loose and the shroud pulling the seizing wire out - which is relatively disconcerting on a brand new installation - which caused us not to be able to get where I wanted to go and ultimately landed me here...

4) The newly rigged starboard spreader began to fail within the first week out to sea on a PORT tack. I made several attempts to rectify this during the course of the trip and was unsuccessful, but did manage patches that allowed us to continue to what I hoped would be a safe harbor to correctly fix the rigger's error.

Jennifer, 

Thanks for answering the jury rigging questions I asked you earlier.

I know you are angry at the rigger and you continue to point the finger at him. However, everyone (okay I guess most sailors) knows the reason you do a shakedown cruise before you take off (particularly on a bluewater passage) is just because it's new doesn't mean it's good to go. Boats are not a one size fits all. Just a couple of examples are PO's could have done mods that change things or certain hardware or parts that are older connected to new ones may fail or need readjustment once under a lot of load. Thus, new work needs breaking in - that is the nature of boats. Per your responses and all the work you have personally done to SN makes me believe you know this.

So why didn't you do a shakedown cruise first? The Hawaiian Islands are ideal grounds to do said shakedown (moderate to heavy seas and wind and lots of deep water marinas/anchorages to duck into).

Also, why did you leave for your voyage in storm conditions?

Lastly, why didn't you have insurance? After all, you say it is your home (one and only)?

Thanks for answering,

SC

On 12/9/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jennifer said:

Actually this is the first time I have seen the question -  [was the Sea Nymph seaworthy when abandoned?]

SO WOULD I

Sea Worthy in my opinion but too slow to outrun the typhoon at that point.

Something that is lookupable!  Accurate records are kept of all tropical disturbances worldwide.

Some background.  The *reason* for abandoning the Sea Nymph has been a moving target.  In chronological order:

• Saved by the Navy which intercepted  a rogue Taiwanese fishing vessel that was trying to kill them by sinking their boat through ramming maneuvers and deliberately unsafe towing procedures.
  • Unseaworthy because of damage by the fishing vessel, necessitating abandonment.
  • Seaworthy in the owner's opinion but  after inspection declared unseaworthy by the Navy, which *ordered* them to abandon ship.
  • Seaworthy upon abandonment,  but an imminent typhoon would surely  result in the loss of the Sea Nymph and all hands, necessitating the Navy order abandonment in order to save lives.

Let's just look at the last bullet item.  October Western Pacific records show only one active typhoon, Typhoon Lan, a whopper which hit Japan causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage; active from October 15th to 23rd.  Here's its track (the 11/15 - 11/23 datestamp is a typo, Lan occurred in October):

typhoon.jpg.e17958be63405b8efa2dd8c4425a6634.jpg

Appel was rescued approximately 900 miles southeast of Japan on Wednesday October 25th, plotted as the  dot.  Typhoon Lan made landfall early Monday morning, Oct. 23, in southeastern Japan and had exited Japan heading northeast, degraded from a typhoon a few hours later.  Here's the predictive chart showing the typhoon's track published Oct. 23rd:  typhoon2.jpg.428a7d315f6fa6da56b22071ba26ed10.jpg

By the time Appel was rescued on the 25th Lan had fizzled out near Russia.  Be aware timeline dates may be off by +- one day due to  International Dateline issues. 

Conclusion:  The Sea Nymph was never, and never had been, at risk from the only record typhoon in the Western Pacific in October of this year.  There was no need to "outrun the typhoon" because the Sea Nymph was 1000+NM  away from the typhoon at closest approach and not affected by it.  One can conjecture the Navy vessel had good weather Intel and would not *order* abandonment based on "the inability of the vessel to survive an impending typhoon."

So I call bullshit on the "can't outrun the typhoon" reason for abandonment.

40 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Something that is lookupable!  Accurate records are kept of all tropical disturbances worldwide.

Some background.  The *reason* for abandoning the Sea Nymph has been a moving target.  In chronological order:

• Saved by the Navy which intercepted  a rogue Taiwanese fishing vessel that was trying to kill them by sinking their boat through ramming maneuvers and deliberately unsafe towing procedures.
  • Unseaworthy because of damage by the fishing vessel, necessitating abandonment.
  • Seaworthy in the owner's opinion but  after inspection declared unseaworthy by the Navy, which *ordered* them to abandon ship.
  • Seaworthy upon abandonment,  but an imminent typhoon would surely  result in the loss of the Sea Nymph and all hands, necessitating the Navy order abandonment in order to save lives.

Let's just look at the last bullet item.  October Western Pacific records show only one active typhoon, Typhoon Lan, a whopper which hit Japan causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage; active from October 15th to 23rd.  Here's its track (the 11/15 - 11/23 datestamp is a typo, Lan occurred in October):

Appel was rescued approximately 900 miles southeast of Japan on Wednesday October 25th, plotted as the  dot.  Typhoon Lan made landfall early Monday morning, Oct. 23, in southeastern Japan and had exited Japan heading northeast, degraded from a typhoon a few hours later.  Here's the predictive chart showing the typhoon's track published Oct. 23rd:  typhoon2.jpg.428a7d315f6fa6da56b22071ba26ed10.jpg

By the time Appel was rescued on the 25th Lan had fizzled out near Russia.  Be aware timeline dates may be off by +- one day due to  International Dateline issues. 

Conclusion:  The Sea Nymph was never, and never had been, at risk from the only record typhoon in the Western Pacific in October of this year.  There was no need to "outrun the typhoon" because the Sea Nymph was 1000+NM  away from the typhoon at closest approach and not affected by it.  One can conjecture the Navy vessel had good weather Intel and would not *order* abandonment based on "the inability of the vessel to survive an impending typhoon."

You're just getting around to calling bullshit now? Her story was utter bullshit from the get-go.

54 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Yeah, I've been saying this, too.  My wife was in Okinawa and Guam from 10/13 to 10/24 and I followed the various storm forecasts and tracks beginning a week before she departed from home.  Using different forecast models and different apps, I tracked that stuff several times per day.  Jen and Tasha were never in danger of more than an ordinary gale, which is about what it takes to get that boat moving.

And you're right--all of her claims are moving targets.

"Broken forestay bracket," "blown backstay," "demolished anchor roller...."  You know damned well the dyneema wrapped around the backstay was not keeping forestay from sagging--that backstay was doing it's job admirably.

Lies, lies and more lies.

3 hours ago, artie_pitt said:

I love the $5 total amount raised after 22 days!

someone probably copy and pasted her update yesterday on the gofundme; she definitely has a PHD in BS.  That's Piled Higher & Deeper in Bull Shit!!

23 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

fixte                                             :)

I kind of thought that it would be so obvious that I was being sarcastic that I didn't need the font.  I mean who would be stupid enough to think I could be serious about that.  Oh, wait, I can think of a few...

6 minutes ago, soak_ed said:

I kind of thought that it would be so obvious that I was being sarcastic that I didn't need the font.  I mean who would be stupid enough to think I could be serious about that.  Oh, wait, I can think of a few...

Thryng macke it easey, manney misse the subtelle thiges.                                                          :)

Just a shoutout to let all know the S&J 45 is  no slouch assuming it wasn't bastardized by an aftermarket builder.  With a  stock SA/Displ of 13, very conservatively powered but worthy enough in blue water:

We love Enchantress. She's not only a good ocean sailor but does well in the light air of the Chesapeake. 
First a little history. The hull was designed under the IOR formula but just as the boat went into production the rule changed and Morgan was stuck with a boat it couldn’t sell. So it sold the mold to S&J which built the boats more or less to the buyer’s specifications – I gather some of the boats were actually finished by the buyers to save expense, However Morgan did actually produce a few of the boats, a couple complete and a few without rigging or interior finish. We have one of the hulls actually build by Morgan, same hull but in an aft-cockpit very low to the water sloop/cutter version -- it has a detachable staysail stay and running backstays.
The good news – she is a very good sea boat and sails like a witch (thus her name - Enchantress). She was build to sail at about a 20 degree angle of heel which significantly increases her waterline and speed – we’ve had her over 11 kts. Her 6 ft draft and 25000 displacement keep her from being thrown about in a seaway so she’s comfortable to sail. 
On the ocean we sailed with a 110 jib and full main – she has a nice big main and I like that) occasionally reefing for comfort. In the Chesapeake we use a 135 genny . 
More good news – IMHO she is one beautiful boat unlike the fat-assed 14-ft beam boats that abound in our marina (my wife calls them condominium boats). She also is very easily handled in fact we can back her into our slip which is no mean feat with a 46-ft boat without bow thrusters and a narrow fairway. 
But before you buy you need to be very careful. As our surveyor told us before he found out our boat was actually built by Morgan, because how these boats were finished was almost entirely up to the buyers some were very, very good and others would not be worth buying at any price. Our boat has a lead keel. Some of the S&J boats also had lead keels, some were ironand some concrete. You need to find out which. The rudders canbe a weak point but this is true of lots of boats. You will also need to pay particular attention to the area around the chainplates to make sure nothing is pulling loose. Also the keel join to the hull and the deck join to the hull.
After we got Enchantress home to the Chesapeake, I spend a couple of long winters refitting – not for safety but for comfort and cosmetics. My wife wanted a much better fresh water system and a flush toilet so I redid the plumbing. The wiring was okay for 1977 but did not meet current code and it had a fuse panel rather than breakers. I also more than doubled the size of the battery banks. I bought some Bluesea breaker panels and rewired the entire system. We also the floor was in bad shape so we had it replaced. Also the standard new cushions, sailcovers dodger and bimini. There are photos of Enchantress’ interior in my Sail Net photo gallery. 
Anyway, if your boat passes survey you would be getting a very good sailor and a comfortable boat that you would be happy with. 

Of course Jennifer may have bought a backyard built, concrete keeled dog with an inadequate single spreader mast, etc.  but to add 8.5 tons of hull reinforcement and 2/1/2 feet of keel depth seems counterproductive.  Witness her claim the boat could not sail in less than 15kn true windspeed.  Something's wrong there; my 1972 IORish 36 footer sloop with a SA/DSPL of 17 ghosts along fine in 4-8kn true wind @ 2-4kn all day upwind and down. And it rages comfortably in high winds with a reduced foresail, a lapper or mule,  150+ mile days until the sea state becomes troublesome.

It bugs me, the Sea Nymph looks acceptable as a long legged blue water cruiser, if not a racehorse.  Based on Appel's assertions the rig was too fragile to carry full sails in light air, 2/3 reefed under all conditions.  Well duh, that deep of a reef makes the boat an anchor in anything less than 15KN wind. No wonder her voyage was so slow.

44 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Just a shoutout to let all know the S&J 45 is  no slouch assuming it wasn't bastardized by an aftermarket builder.  With a  stock SA/Displ of 13, very conservatively powered but worthy enough in blue water:

We love Enchantress. She's not only a good ocean sailor but does well in the light air of the Chesapeake. 
First a little history. The hull was designed under the IOR formula but just as the boat went into production the rule changed and Morgan was stuck with a boat it couldn’t sell. So it sold the mold to S&J which built the boats more or less to the buyer’s specifications – I gather some of the boats were actually finished by the buyers to save expense, However Morgan did actually produce a few of the boats, a couple complete and a few without rigging or interior finish. We have one of the hulls actually build by Morgan, same hull but in an aft-cockpit very low to the water sloop/cutter version -- it has a detachable staysail stay and running backstays.
The good news – she is a very good sea boat and sails like a witch (thus her name - Enchantress). She was build to sail at about a 20 degree angle of heel which significantly increases her waterline and speed – we’ve had her over 11 kts. Her 6 ft draft and 25000 displacement keep her from being thrown about in a seaway so she’s comfortable to sail. 
On the ocean we sailed with a 110 jib and full main – she has a nice big main and I like that) occasionally reefing for comfort. In the Chesapeake we use a 135 genny . 
More good news – IMHO she is one beautiful boat unlike the fat-assed 14-ft beam boats that abound in our marina (my wife calls them condominium boats). She also is very easily handled in fact we can back her into our slip which is no mean feat with a 46-ft boat without bow thrusters and a narrow fairway. 
But before you buy you need to be very careful. As our surveyor told us before he found out our boat was actually built by Morgan, because how these boats were finished was almost entirely up to the buyers some were very, very good and others would not be worth buying at any price. Our boat has a lead keel. Some of the S&J boats also had lead keels, some were ironand some concrete. You need to find out which. The rudders canbe a weak point but this is true of lots of boats. You will also need to pay particular attention to the area around the chainplates to make sure nothing is pulling loose. Also the keel join to the hull and the deck join to the hull.
After we got Enchantress home to the Chesapeake, I spend a couple of long winters refitting – not for safety but for comfort and cosmetics. My wife wanted a much better fresh water system and a flush toilet so I redid the plumbing. The wiring was okay for 1977 but did not meet current code and it had a fuse panel rather than breakers. I also more than doubled the size of the battery banks. I bought some Bluesea breaker panels and rewired the entire system. We also the floor was in bad shape so we had it replaced. Also the standard new cushions, sailcovers dodger and bimini. There are photos of Enchantress’ interior in my Sail Net photo gallery. 
Anyway, if your boat passes survey you would be getting a very good sailor and a comfortable boat that you would be happy with. 

Of course Jennifer may have bought a backyard built, concrete keeled dog with an inadequate single spreader mast, etc.  but to add 8.5 tons of hull reinforcement and 2/1/2 feet of keel depth seems counterproductive.  Witness her claim the boat could not sail in less than 15kn true windspeed.  Something's wrong there; my 1972 IORish 36 footer sloop with a SA/DSPL of 17 ghosts along fine in 4-8kn true wind @ 2-4kn all day upwind and down. And it rages comfortably in high winds with a reduced foresail, a lapper or mule,  150+ mile days until the sea state becomes troublesome.

It bugs me, the Sea Nymph looks acceptable as a long legged blue water cruiser, if not a racehorse.  Based on Appel's assertions the rig was too fragile to carry full sails in light air, 2/3 reefed under all conditions.  Well duh, that deep of a reef makes the boat an anchor in anything less than 15KN wind. No wonder her voyage was so slow.

Maybe she didn’t know that sailing boats heel so always sailed reefed to keep it upright and not tip over the dungeon equipment!!

44 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Maybe she didn’t know that sailing boats heel so always sailed reefed to keep it upright and not tip over the dungeon equipment!!

9 minutes ago, strop said:

I think you are being a little dismissive of her sailing abilities. Here is another pic of her sailing and the boat appears to have a slight heal. But it may just be the camera angle.

Appel, who holds a degree in landscape architecture from Texas A&M University, once described herself 'a cougar who has been engaged four times but never married' 

1 hour ago, axolotl said:

This is partially true. Morgan designed the boat loosely to the CCA rule, not the IOR rule. But the boats weren't so type-formed in the early IOR days...Ted Turner was still racing American Eagle successfully then, before jumping into the 1-ton craze. The Morgan 45 wasn't a great sailer, but it wasn't bad. Biggest commercial issue was that it was more expensive and had less room than the Out Island 41, thus wasn't a good seller to cruisers, and racers wanted a fresher design. Basically, it was a dated design that came out about 5-6 years too late.  Article is correct that build quality varied widely on the owner-built Starratt/Jenks. 

Who the hell knows what Appel is babbling on about. She earlier stated that she identified areas needing reinforcement, thus the 6 tons of glass added. Except the boat appeared to float nearly on its lines, and not 10-12" deeper like 6 tons of added weight would indicate. No explanation of 2' deeper draft, which isn't apparent on photos out of water. Or why they couldn't enter a harbor at Christmas Is that cruise ships can enter. Also not explained is how she's qualified to engineer 'neccessry' reinforcement to boat, but was oblivious to poorly done rerigging work besides paying way too much. As far as I can tell, she's just regurgitating shit she read on the Internet, has no idea what it means or what she was doing, if this work was even done. I sense a whole lot of Dunning-Kruger.

29 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I think you are being a little dismissive of her sailing abilities. Here is another pic of her sailing and the boat appears to have a slight heal. But it may just be the camera angle.

Appel, who holds a degree in landscape architecture from Texas A&M University, once described herself 'a cougar who has been engaged four times but never married' 

No horizon makes it hard to judge heel angle. But at a guess I would say the backstay tension is tight. Just needs some dynema wrapped around it 

There is no logic to the cruiser's endlessly getting ready to set off "around" (the world, that is). Any boat MUST be re-rigged with larger cable! When we would show these clowns that the boat had already been up-sized 2-3 times already, and that there was no way to make the larger cable fit the mast tangs or the chainplates they would get upset with us. NOT one of these clowns ever up-sized chainplates or mast tangs. Just drill them out for larger clevis pins! It is easy to see this same mindset carry over to interior structural stuff - slather on cheap polyester resin & mat till it looks Cape Horn proof.

3 hours ago, longy said:

There is no logic to the cruiser's endlessly getting ready to set off "around" (the world, that is). Any boat MUST be re-rigged with larger cable! When we would show these clowns that the boat had already been up-sized 2-3 times already, and that there was no way to make the larger cable fit the mast tangs or the chainplates they would get upset with us. NOT one of these clowns ever up-sized chainplates or mast tangs. Just drill them out for larger clevis pins! It is easy to see this same mindset carry over to interior structural stuff - slather on cheap polyester resin & mat till it looks Cape Horn proof.

Doesn't really matter though. These are usually the 'I put 3 reefs in before dark regardless of the weather' types and think that a cruising boat must have a cutter rig. They read too many books. 

What Longy & LB said - Good grief, but I've seen that a lot over the years out here.  

Guy goes out on a big day,  get's overpowered and something rattles him and it's all-on:  Everything visible needs to be Massive (except some critical link somewhere) and no amount of reasoning about the actual tensile strengths, or weight aloft,  or anything will suffice.  "Just make it bigger.  Then drill a bigger whole...."    

What I just can't countenance is this theory that somehow the skipper is enough of a gearhead to go endurance roadracing  but cannot fathom how a stout one-spreader masthead rig works.   I mean,  it's pretty goddam basic. 

40 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

What Longy & LB said - Good grief, but I've seen that a lot over the years out here.  

What I just can't countenance is this theory that somehow the skipper is enough of a gearhead to go endurance roadracing  but cannot fathom how a stout one-spreader masthead rig works.   I mean,  it's pretty goddam basic. 

Agreed. Whatever the perceived spreader problem was, it was an easy fix. Also there has never been much chat about why the engine did not work, well nothing that made any sense.

Unkle Crusty

40 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

On 12/17/2017 at 2:21 PM, LB 15 said:

Like most things in your narrative it neither stands up to scrutiny by experienced sailors nor makes any sense. Poor you - apparently everyone you meet either wants to rip you off, lie about your history or sexually assault you. Everything that goes wrong in your life is someone else's fault. When asked direct questions you avoid answering, change the subject or deflect the conversation with some irrelevant BS. When caught out lying (giant attack sharks, only boat to survive the dragons triangle, 3 day force 11 ect ect) you claim you were simply mistaken. At first i thought you were simply disillusion but since you started posting here it is obvious that you are just a compulsive liar and an attention whore. 

Enjoy your 15 mins of fame.

20171023_112344 - Copy.jpg

In one of her Shutterfly pics, it's hard to see, but it looks like there is a fairlead attached to the aft stanchion on the port side of the pulpit.  And judging by the direction of the wraps above the drum, unless their direction reversed when she let it freespool, it appears the furling line should have been run down the port side and not starboard.

Also, if the boat owner wants to save rigging dollars by removing the sails and other easy bits, I think it's pretty common for the rigger to leave the furling line up to the owner so they can ensure the proper number of wraps in the drum when the headsail is replaced.  I'd like to see her rigging invoice.  Why won't she post it?  Why does she pretend like Clean has the only copy?  This is probably a DIY job done backwards.

21 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No horizon makes it hard to judge heel angle. But at a guess I would say the backstay tension is tight. Just needs some dynema wrapped it

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

In one of her Shutterfly pics, it's hard to see, but it looks like there is a fairlead attached to the aft stanchion on the port side of the pulpit.  And judging by the direction of the wraps above the drum, unless their direction reversed when she let it freespool, it appears the furling line should have been run down the port side and not starboard.

Also, if the boat owner wants to save rigging dollars by removing the sails and other easy bits, I think it's pretty common for the rigger to leave the furling line up to the owner so they can ensure the proper number of wraps in the drum when the headsail is replaced.  I'd like to see her rigging invoice.  Why won't she post it?  Why does she pretend like Clean has the only copy?  This is probably a DIY job done backwards.

This thread is getting deep down the page. Jen your time might be up. You only need 200 or somore pages to beat rimas thread at the moment. 

2 hours ago, strop said:

This thread is getting deep down the page. Jen your time might be up. You only need 200 or so more pages to beat rimas thread at the moment. 

I've contemplated Rimas's vs. Appel's Pacific voyage exploits and they're not comparable. 

Rimas has been at it since 2012, an unlikely microboat singlehander  with no visible means of support, who's always made it to shore and except for the Alaska debacle has not abandoned his boat(s),  in spite of their obvious unseaworthiness.

Appel, OTOH, lost her first boat *exiting her harbor* and #2 (Sea Nymph) in the Western Pacific in the last 2+- years.  She's spent coin and sweat equity on a moderately big boat (Coronado 30) and then a 45' behemoth with major Comms, gear, reinforcement, a crewmember and still  abandoned the boat.

Rimas is an old dunce with limited communication skills whose online presence and DeLorme texts are barely comprehensible.  Appel OTOH is a quick talker with trouble separating reality from fantasy, and apparently trying to work the media for fame and fortune, without success so far.

Who will first depart on their next colossal  voyage is a tossup. I'm betting Rimas, with his no funding no worries style.  Appel, whose style is big, strong, fully founded with watermakers, bulletproof scantlings, etc. I suspect she can't come up with the coin to make it happen.

Could be a fun bet.  Who casts off lines first, Rimas or Appel?  I'll take 5-1 odds it's Rimas, with a push if neither ever sail again.

Appel  and Reid Stowe make a better comparison; Stowe did 1000 days on Anne, built with is own hands, a 70' 60 tonner which was not abandoned in spite of some serious problems. Appel, 150 days offshore before throwing in the towel.  Sadly Reid is old and out of the game now, swallowed the anchor and is waiting for the inheritance from his father, albeit with some income from his pirate ship charter operation.  Appel's alleged plan was to "visit the 20,000 islands of the Pacific", certainly a multiyear voyage.

13 minutes ago, axolotl said:

I've contemplated Rimas's vs. Appel's Pacific voyage exploits and they're not comparable. 

Rimas has been at it since 2012, an unlikely microboat singlehander  with no visible means of support, who's always made it to shore and except for the Alaska debacle has not abandoned his boat(s),  in spite of their obvious unseaworthiness.

Appel, OTOH, lost her first boat *exiting her harbor* and #2 (Sea Nymph) in the Western Pacific in the last 2+- years.  She's spent coin and sweat equity on a moderately big boat (Coronado 30) and then a 45' behemoth with major Comms, gear, reinforcement, a crewmember and still  abandoned the boat.

Rimas is an old dunce with limited communication skills whose online presence and DeLorme texts are barely comprehensible.  Appel OTOH is a quick talker with trouble separating reality from fantasy, and apparently trying to work the media for fame and fortune, without success so far.

Who will first depart on their next colossal  voyage is a tossup. I'm betting Rimas, with his no funding no worries style.  Appel, whose style is big, strong, fully founded with watermakers, bulletproof scantlings, etc. I suspect she can't come up with the coin to make it happen.

Could be a fun bet.  Who casts off lines first, Rimas or Appel?  I'll take 5-1 odds it's Rimas, with a push if neither ever sail again.

Appel  and Reid Stowe make a better comparison; Stowe did 1000 days on Anne, built with is own hands, a 70' 60 tonner which was not abandoned in spite of some serious problems. Appel, 150 days offshore before throwing in the towel.  Sadly Reid is out of the game now, swallowed the anchor and is waiting for the inheritance from his father, albeit with some income from his pirate ship charters.

Dammit, You made me google Ried...  <_<

I'm sorry to to be such a perv, but based on the many photos online, don't her knockers look to be perfect melons and possibly augmented?

Chime in here, mother nature vs. the knife.

32 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Appel  and Reid Stowe make a better comparison; Stowe did 1000 days on Anne, built with is own hands, a 70' 60 tonner which was not abandoned in spite of some serious problems. Appel, 150 days offshore before throwing in the towel.  Sadly Reid is old and out of the game now, swallowed the anchor and is waiting for the inheritance from his father, albeit with some income from his pirate ship charter operation.  Appel's alleged plan was to "visit the 20,000 islands of the Pacific", certainly a multiyear voyage.

I'd also guess Rimas but not sure I'd bet on either.

I was with you until the end. Reid was weird but why does he get lumped in with the incompetent? He could sail. He just chose not to for a very long time and tried to pass it off as a spiritual quest or something. When he finally decided to sail again, he went straight toward his destination and arrived just like any sailor would.

I'm sorry to to be such a perv, but based on the many photos online, don't her knockers look to be perfect melons and possibly augmented?

Chime in here, mother nature vs. the knife.

I vote knife.  She needed something to fill those big man hands of hers.

9 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I vote knife.  She needed something to fill those big man hands of hers.

She is in pretty amazing shape for any age. Many 19 year olds would kill to have her bod. She is not my taste but credit were credit is due. Any way i don't think they make gaffer tape that strong.

14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

She is in pretty amazing shape for any age. Many 19 year olds would kill to have her bod. She is not my taste but credit were credit is due.

Ist the bigge thise, peopel go crazey fore bigge thise!                            :)

32 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

She is in pretty amazing shape for any age. Many 19 year olds would kill to have her bod. She is not my taste but credit were credit is due. Any way i don't think they make gaffer tape that strong.

Perhaps she’s fit and strong, but certainly not attractive.  People who know her facetiously say, “she’s a dude.”

For clarification, nobody is claiming she is anything other than a biological female.  They’re just saying she has unattractive masculine features.  That is their opinion.  I have no opinion other than she is unattractive, apparently dishonest and/or delusional, and lacks good judgment.

Purely an opinion about this person who thrust herself into becoming a public figure through her claim to have an attorney and PR person arrange for her story to be told while she was still on the Navy Vessel, her eagerness to be interviewed by television networks and Internet sailing sites, to post on  GoFundMe, here, and elsewhere.  My personal opinion is based on the conflicting and idiotic things she—not the media—has said and/or written.

No false statements of fact here—purely opinion.  Go away, defamation lawyers.

15 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Perhaps she’s fit and strong, but certainly not attractive.  People who know her facetiously say, “she’s a dude.”

For clarification, nobody is claiming she is anything other than a biological female.  They’re just saying she has unattractive masculine features.  That is their opinion.  I have no opinion other than she is unattractive, apparently dishonest and/or delusional, and lacks good judgment.

Purely an opinion about this person who thrust herself into becoming a public figure through her claim to have an attorney and PR person arrange for her story to be told while she was still on the Navy Vessel, her eagerness to be interviewed by television networks and Internet sailing sites, to post on  GoFundMe, here, and elsewhere.  My personal opinion is based on the conflicting and idiotic things she—not the media—has said and/or written.

No false statements of fact here—purely opinion.  Go away, defamation lawyers.

Few lawyers will do a Defo on the tick. They would want cash up front even before they look into the credibility of the client. I think you are safe mate. Anyway Appel vs 'Whisper'?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha. 

Per updates on Rimas thread, he was towed out of Saipan last week and headed for Guam. Usually a day or two trip, he might make it next week, assuming he doesn't drift downwind in the opposite direction as usual.

23 hours ago, axolotl said:

Well, I won and also lost. Rimas is now on the big blue bound for Guam(?), Appel, not so much. I won because I was right but lost because nobody took me up on my bet.

For those that are following this, the only international/US news following Appel in the last week according to Google was this video rehash from the dailymail.uk.  Essentially the dailymail has doubled down on their original report about Appel's history, dubious statements by her and others which cast her in a negative light.

Latest dailymail libel Fodder   For newbies, this is worth 3 minutes of your time

Libelous, I think not, and Appel will have a tough time pursuing them in a UK Court.  Appel's candle is blowing in the wind concerning all the folks she'd like to sue concerning the voyage of the Sea Nymph and probably this is the end for her as a sea voyager.   

I've run into her type several times in my life and an only say beware, hot, hysterical,  smooth talker, but ultimately a con artist who's working you for pecuniary gain and has trouble keeping facts straight.

I've run into her type several times in my life and an only say beware, hot, hysterical,  smooth talker, but ultimately a con artist who's working you for pecuniary gain and has trouble keeping facts straight.

I have not met her, but many people I know have said the same things you did.

The smooth talker, con artist, working us for $$, and trouble keeping the story straight is clearly evident from her interviews, her facebook page, comments in this thread and the deleted one, and, of course, the GoFundMe bullshit with its contradictory updates.

Jen, please correct our impressions of you and tell an honest tale.

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

I have not met her, but many people I know have said the same things you did.

The smooth talker, con artist, working us for $$, and trouble keeping the story straight is clearly evident from her interviews, her facebook page, comments in this thread and the deleted one, and, of course, the GoFundMe bullshit with its contradictory updates.

Jen, please correct our impressions of you and tell an honest tale.

You call Appel a liar and con artist - and all sorts of other derogatory names, and then ask her to answer your questions.  After the things you have said about Appel, why would she answer your questions?  Also, what could she possibly say that would you would believe, even if it were true.  At some point you will need to accept that there are things that are just unknowable and that you are not going to get the satisfaction you demand.

25 minutes ago, Team Subterfuge said:

You call Appel a liar and con artist - and all sorts of other derogatory names, and then ask her to answer your questions.  After the things you have said about Appel, why would she answer your questions?  Also, what could she possibly say that would you would believe, even if it were true.  At some point you will need to accept that there are things that are just unknowable and that you are not going to get the satisfaction you demand.

no , he called her a liar and a con artist , which it appears the rest of the world thinks as well. i don't see all sorts of other derogatory names in that sentence , so please stay on task and don't embellish to enhance your argument . 

what i do see is, a ton of bs , that she should answer for , or just go away forever . we wouldn't even be discussing this if she didn't come in here and spin her tale of crap and make it even worse on herself. at least she has you here to defend her honor .

16 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

I question your reading comprehension skills.  But aside from that, she likes to defend herself and, every time she does, the story changes.  It’s entertaining.

Jenn posted on her original Gofuckyou that she was taking her story to SA where she could finally set the facts straight with regards to her voyage. Said she wanted us to understand what happened so she could go after the media and say that the worst clumps in the marine head validated her story.

Sorry. Her story flushed through and were hanging on as usual.

I almost posted this on her GoFundMyIdiocy page:

Nice update, but confusing:

“We were NEVER lost at sea.”  Ok, then why is your series of YouTube videos entitled, “Two Women Lost at Sea?”

“I own the mistatements about the storm.”  You told Sailing Anarchy that your “Force 11” assessment was based in part on anemometer readings, which means they registered in the Force 11 range.  Are you now saying that was a lie?

“I own the misstatements about the tiger sharks.”  On Facebook, you claimed you could see the sharks well enough to positively identify them as tiger sharks, but they were too dark to photograph.  Then you told Mr. Clean it was too dark to see them at all.  And now you think they were black and white air-breathing monsters with vastly different silhouettes from sharks?  And you blame your changing stories on the media?

What typhoon was bearing down on you?  The only one in October was already 1000 nm NW of you and beginning to fizzle when you were rescued.

The Navy found your vessel to be unseaworthy and ordered you to abondon ship?  If so, then why did you post videos of everything you were taking on the Navy vessel before they had arrived to assess your vessel?

While on the USS Ashland, “I thought I had an attorney and PR person doing their jobs.”  But you’ve been telling people you were not seeking media attention.  Interesting.

How many additional paragraphs would you like to address?  I won’t even get into the gear aspects of your story or the damage claims debunked by your own videos.  Or the difference between “multi-island long term sailing adventure in paragraph 1, versus “our primary destination” in paragraph 11.

No, the media is not to blame for any of this.  Rather, your stories seem to evolve everytime someone questions you about something that does not make sense.

Will you be able to recover your $5.00 seed money when this page is eventually removed?

Yup, it's over.  Media coverage of Appel is below the crease now; her attempt to set the record straight in SA resulted in a cacophony of careful research debunking her claims, and not a few salacious posts.  I doubt she'll be posting here again.

So it's time to put this tale to bed.  I do have a few post abandonment questions though.  The Navy deposits her in Japan, with what appears to be several hundred pounds of gear taken off the boat, then a few days later she's in New York on network TV,  dogs, gear, computer(s) with over "1mb of videos", invoices for fraudulent repair work, etc. Curiously she & Tasha hang in New York State somewhere for a few weeks for the  Clean interview.

Who paid for the JAP-NYC flight and accommodations, and where are they now?  Clean implied he picked them up at a hotel,  not a long term solution.  Just curious concerning how Appel/Fuiava are rebuilding their lives.

10 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

If there’s a chance I can get some of that cash in my account I’ll claim it!

It could almost buy a beer.  Or maybe half a ream of really cheap copy paper she could practice folding origami boats with.

22 hours ago, Team Subterfuge said:

Are you one of her...ahh...'Clients'? Does she have a few Pics from your...ahh..meetings?

It might be hard to explain to the wife why you were tied naked to an A frame with a feather in your ass I guess. 

You might be one of the few men who have entered the Dragons triangle and lived deny the tale.

On 12/18/2017 at 7:54 AM, sailorcherry said:

Jennifer, 

Thanks for answering the jury rigging questions I asked you earlier.

I know you are angry at the rigger and you continue to point the finger at him. However, everyone (okay I guess most sailors) knows the reason you do a shakedown cruise before you take off (particularly on a bluewater passage) is just because it's new doesn't mean it's good to go. Boats are not a one size fits all. Just a couple of examples are PO's could have done mods that change things or certain hardware or parts that are older connected to new ones may fail or need readjustment once under a lot of load. Thus, new work needs breaking in - that is the nature of boats. Per your responses and all the work you have personally done to SN makes me believe you know this.

So why didn't you do a shakedown cruise first? The Hawaiian Islands are ideal grounds to do said shakedown (moderate to heavy seas and wind and lots of deep water marinas/anchorages to duck into).

Also, why did you leave for your voyage in storm conditions?

Lastly, why didn't you have insurance? After all, you say it is your home (one and only)?

Thanks for answering,

SC

Jennifer,

I get why you don't want to spend too much time on here. But would you please answer my questions? I am genuinely curious about the whole scenario/story. Many others are and as we all know this is the most honest place for it to be told 

Cheers,

SC

On 12/21/2017 at 4:24 AM, RKoch said:

Per updates on Rimas thread, he was towed out of Saipan last week and headed for Guam. Usually a day or two trip, he might make it next week, assuming he doesn't drift downwind in the opposite direction as usual.

Does anyone have contact with Rimas?  If so, suggest Palau as a downline stop.  There are many pluses for yachties here.  Compact area.  Easy to anchor.  Clearance ain't cheap in or out. I'm not sure how they'd react if someone was dead broke.

Speaking of that, there's a great story about a guy who cruised without papers and basically no cash.  His name slipping my mind at the moment, but he came to Palau and went over to The Philippines.  I believe he started from South America??  I'll ask a mate his name tomorrow and post.  I think some of you would be interested in his experiences.  

6 minutes ago, SVTankGirl said:

Does anyone have contact with Rimas?  If so, suggest Palau as a downline stop.  There are many pluses for yachties here.  Compact area.  Easy to anchor.  Clearance ain't cheap in or out. I'm not sure how they'd react if someone was dead broke.

Speaking of that, there's a great story about a guy who cruised without papers and basically no cash.  His name slipping my mind at the moment, but he came to Palau and went over to The Philippines.  I believe he started from South America??  I'll ask a mate his name tomorrow and post.  I think some of you would be interested in his experiences.  

Here is some of the story - 

http://www.atomvoyages.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=97%3Aalbertotorroba-1&catid=86&Itemid=491

While reviewing Appel's "Void-Ho"esque  Organic Farm YouTube  video I came across this curious claim:

proton.jpg.3bd70c666822e53673c31e44e9db05dd.jpg

The first operational Proton Therapy Center in the US is the James M. Slater Proton Treatment and Research Center  in Loma Linda, California.  The engineering design report for the facility was published in 1987 and construction was completed in 1990.  Appel was an undergrad in Landscape Architecture at Texas A&M; she matriculated in 1987.  I find it highly unlikely that Loma Linda University hired an undergrad from Texas A&M to "work on" the multimillion dollar research center during construction. 

Jennifer, can you expand on your involvement with the JMSPTRC,  specifically the date(s) and the nature of your work there?  It seems contradictory, given your severe case of radiophobia.

On 12/20/2017 at 1:59 PM, axolotl said:

On Facebook, someone is claiming to donate a refurbished yacht.  She's taking the bait.

The person behind some poorly edited cruising videos and an awful sailing podcast has just sued longtime sailing journo and cruiser Charlie Doane for 'slander'. The story is hilarious, as is Doane's response to the clearly frivolous lawsuit. 

On 12/19/2017 at 1:19 PM, Great Red Shark said:

All the other bullshit aside, this is the thing that I could never understand.  They could cannibalize watermaker parts to keep one working, they had enough power to keep Jen's toys running for half a year, but they couldn't sort out a single spreader attachment.  It never even came down on the deck.  Fuck's sake.  

But none of that makes this a big story.  Just another in a long, long, long line of people who shouldn't have left yet, if ever.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:22 PM, MR.CLEAN said:
The person behind some poorly edited cruising videos and an awful sailing podcast has just sued longtime sailing journo and cruiser Charlie Doane for 'slander'. The story is hilarious, as is Doane's response to the clearly frivolous lawsuit. 

Very interesting. I suggest peep read the linked statement. Seems pretty clear-cut. 

My observation as a non-legal expert. Mr. Wilson has a crappy blog and posts lame videos (I attempted to watch a couple). They are so bad, he's probably not getting the donations he expected. So he's trying to hitch his pos slow boat to more successful online presences in order to generate income through frivolous lawsuits. Thus, he outs himself as a complete asshole...but we knew that already from his brief presence on SA. Hope he's tossed out of court and has to pay damages for his frivolous suits.

Im not sure that Appel is trying to perpetuate a fraud. She is a serial exaggerator,  a looney tune, and a poor sailor with a strong element of Dunning-Kruger. Certainly she deserves blowback on her outlandish claims. But Wilson appears to be the real fraudster.

On 12/22/2017 at 3:22 PM, MR.CLEAN said:

If I call him a douchebag, will that be construed as a false statement of fact? Or merely an astute personal opinion of someone trying to be a public figure?

57 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:
The freak behind the world's most poorly edited cruising videos and the shittiest sailing podcast on the web has just sued longtime sailing journo and cruiser Charlie Doane for 'slander'. The story is hilarious, as is Doane's response to the clearly frivolous lawsuit. We will be following this story in depth and have learned quite a few things about the incredible douchebag that is Linus Wilson...keep an eye on the front page.

Um, slander is spoken, libel is written or published.  One would think an ace attorney would know the difference.

6 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Um, slander is spoken, libel is written or published.  One would think an ace attorney would know the difference.

Clean was citing Doane, who was citing Wilson. That's why 'slander' has ' '. Wilson wrote up his suit himself, and apparently didn't have any legal advice.

12 minutes ago, axolotl said:

Are you suggesting a blogger/podcaster who purports to hold a Ph.D. from Oxford should be able to distinguish the two?

I’ve heard him try to ask questions, and I’ve read his writing.  I’ve also noted the sloppiness of his research.  I question his purported education.

Dude tried to “friend” me on Facebook.  No thanks.