Jump to content

Recommended Posts

For the 50th running of Transpac, the Barn Door Trophy wil be opened up to Canters and Foilers .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We 

Well - that was a lot of fun.  Yes, Gamble was the smallest boat on the fastest line. My favorite question was, "who in the hell did you piss off to get put on THAT line?." Quite a few people won

For arguments sake. 

Posted Images

Saturday night TPYC elected its Board of Directors for the 50th edition of the TransPac Yacht Race. We welcome Stephen Ashley, Bill Crispin,  Kimball Livingston and Gino Morelli to the 2018/2019 TPYC Board and thank  retiring Board Members Jon Andron, Roby Bessent, Ross Pearlman, Drew Satriano and Ben Smith for their help to organize a great 49th edition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, A-NU-START said:

And it's a different Disney. Keep up. 

Roy Pat has been on each of the canters.  And the implication is the rule is being changed simply because Disney wants one.  So, the comment is not only stupid, but incorrectly implies the run is being changed for him.  Why would it not have been changed in 05, 07 or 15?  And weren't canters eligible in '05 anyway, which is why Morning Glory is on the Barn Door?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Any 125's already committed to 2019? It would be awesome to get 4 or 5 boats out for Transpac. Hamachi will more than likely be coming down to where it's warm and you go downwind all the time. Probably California Offshore Week then TPAC. Any other events we should consider for Spring/Early Summer in California? 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2018 at 6:35 PM, ASP said:

Any 125's already committed to 2019? It would be awesome to get 4 or 5 boats out for Transpac. Hamachi will more than likely be coming down to where it's warm and you go downwind all the time. Probably California Offshore Week then TPAC. Any other events we should consider for Spring/Early Summer in California? 

 

 

You should come down in March for the Newport Beach to Cabo race.  The J/125 is a great boat for this downwind sprint.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

To date with just under eleven months to go we have 45 entries! 

It's shaping up to be  a great 50th running. I'm looking forward to seeing a significant percentage of the racers at Long Point Race Week next week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Replay of a historical battle between Kialoa V and Atalanta?  I don’t know the history, but I suspect those two went head to head many years ago?  Am I right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to crew for someone to check this item off my bucket list.  I am 36, a lifelong sailor, and am in great shape. Started sailing in Optimist at age 4 and have never stopped. Over 20,000 offshore miles on both crewed and single-handed boats. In addition, I am a physician and can serve as a boat's medic. Please contact me at pompano.phoenix@gmail.com

PS

Yes I also posted on the Transpac website classified section. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

The NHYC Cabo race (March 15th to 21st) is a great race to prepare your boat and crew for TransPac 50. The early entry $100.00 discount ends October 31st. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2018 at 6:25 PM, Roleur said:

Replay of a historical battle between Kialoa V and Atalanta?  I don’t know the history, but I suspect those two went head to head many years ago?  Am I right?

Early '70s.  When Atalanta was the "Blue Pig" and Huey Long had his private stateroom aft.  

The dual was really between Windward Passage and Kialoa.  With Stormvogel and Ondine pushing water behind those two.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Early '70s.  When Atalanta was the "Blue Pig" and Huey Long had his private stateroom aft.  

The dual was really between Windward Passage and Kialoa.  With Stormvogel and Ondine pushing water behind those two.  

Might be you've got your boats and years mixed up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked in the Notice of Race and it does not show the date for the Awards party, just listing this as Friday.  I am guessing the 26th? Can anyone confirm this?   Need to be on a boat in England on August 1.  Is the Aloha send off party on the 6th of July a big deal or is it a can-miss?  Any tips on the Hawaii side?  Hotel or Airbnb?  Don't miss spots?  Wife and two kids under 10 will be there to meet the boat in Honolulu.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the Awards presentation will be on Friday the 26th. The Aloha send off is fun and it's right after the skippers meeting. But, mostly it's a chance to meet the competition, see the boats that will be at Rainbow Harbor, eat some good horderves from Gladstone's and watch some great Hula Dancing. The majority of the fleet and the parties will be at Ala Wai Yacht basin post finish. There are a number of great hotels within walking distance. For the kids the Hilton Hawaiian Village might offer the most entertainment. But, it is usually quite crowded. I've preferred to stay at the Modern. Although they have changed their focus to condominiums. The Ala Moana is a decent option. You might also check out the Prince. If you're looking budget there are a couple of hotels right across the street that are less expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 7:15 PM, fromtas said:

Might be you've got your boats and years mixed up.

Maybe.  I can always be corrected.  1973 Transpac is what I was thinking of.  Atalanta was originally Huey Long's Ondine and painted baby blue.  Pretty much parked it up in that race.  As did the boat I was on.  Catalina threw a big shadow that year.

Kialoa and WP were engaged in multiple battles on the major league circuit back then.  Ondine was never a great performer or on a par with those two, but Long sailed it hard.  Cornelius Bruynzeel out of South America had Stormvogel as the 4th major player.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2018 at 10:38 AM, GauchoGreg said:

Great to see that the new owner of Merlin is bringing her back across the country to race the Transpac....

Our position is that if you have Merlin and don't do Transpac you WILL go to hell.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, ASP said:

Alive RP66 is coming up

Plus at least one Aus based TP52.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, ASP said:

Any 125's already committed to 2019? It would be awesome to get 4 or 5 boats out for Transpac. Hamachi will more than likely be coming down to where it's warm and you go downwind all the time. Probably California Offshore Week then TPAC. Any other events we should consider for Spring/Early Summer in California? 

 

 

Looks like a great J125 fleet coming together for both Cabo and Transpac.  Can't wait it is going to be a lot of work and a lot of fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The recent fairly heavy rainfall, preceded by the extreme fires in Norcal and SoCal caused me to go back through my log books and look at weather going into Trans Pacs '97 and '99 and Pac Cup '98 .  All three years were marked with higher wind speeds than the wind matrixes used for each event.  I believe that 2015 was also above the norm, but I missed that year so don't have any real recording of it. However, all of those years had a fairly moderate or even strong El Nino preceding or during the year the races were held. 

In reading research I came across this piece written in September of this year.  Very interesting read.

I'll just leave it here:

https://weatherwest.com/archives/tag/el-nino

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

The recent fairly heavy rainfall, preceded by the extreme fires in Norcal and SoCal caused me to go back through my log books and look at weather going into Trans Pacs '97 and '99 and Pac Cup '98 .  All three years were marked with higher wind speeds than the wind matrixes used for each event.  I believe that 2015 was also above the norm, but I missed that year so don't have any real recording of it. However, all of those years had a fairly moderate or even strong El Nino preceding or during the year the races were held. 

In reading research I came across this piece written in September of this year.  Very interesting read.

I'll just leave it here:

https://weatherwest.com/archives/tag/el-nino

 

Look no further than Pac Cup 2016. Didn’t you do that one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I reckon the Voodoo croo are keen to do....it'll be a case of looking at the logistics and getting together with a few of the other Aussie crews that are planning to go. First issue is shipping options to the US West Coast - anyone here got some clues?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couta

You should get in touch with John Sangmeister one of the co-entry chairs. If there is enough interest from Australia Seven Star could schedule a run.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I reckon the Voodoo croo are keen to do....it'll be a case of looking at the logistics and getting together with a few of the other Aussie crews that are planning to go. First issue is shipping options to the US West Coast - anyone here got some clues?

I have experience shipping that exact boat from Perth to CA.    Had to ship to SoCal, not SF.    Drop me a PM for more.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2018 at 5:00 AM, solosailor said:

I have experience shipping that exact boat from Perth to CA.    Had to ship to SoCal, not SF.    Drop me a PM for more.

Thanks Solosailor - I'll take you up on that once I've dealt with the small matter of this years S2H race! Cheers!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

For anyone interested in getting a strong contender for the Santa Cruz 50/52 class, I've just heard that Allure is available at a really great price. The only two times that we got second on Horizon was to Allure in first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read that Alive is also talking about entering.  We currently have 89 entries without these three rocket ships from down under. It's going to be one great race!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, hoppy said:

Up to 92 entries now https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eid=4758

As I mentioned in another thread, the official shirt should motivate  more owners to enter.

M485412519.SKY-1_2400x.jpg?v=1545327673

 

At the moment there are only 2 Aussie flagged entries. Kialoa 2 and Kosatka which is a V70 with RUS1 sail number but an Aussie flag and owned it appears.

Kosatka is currently chained to the dock in Sydney... Not sure if that'll affect their start schedule or not!

 

HW

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Transpacific Yacht Club celebrates its 90th birthday today. And, we're up to 97 entries for the 50th race.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 6:19 PM, hoppy said:

Up to 92 entries now https://yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eid=4758

As I mentioned in another thread, the official shirt should motivate  more owners to enter.

M485412519.SKY-1_2400x.jpg?v=1545327673

 

At the moment there are only 2 Aussie flagged entries. Kialoa 2 and Kosatka which is a V70 with RUS1 sail number but an Aussie flag and owned it appears.

Crap, now we have to paint Merlin blue again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd enter but only "outboards in wells" meet the TP rules.    I have two water tight bulkheads, a proven overbuilt hull and Hawaii vet but since I don't have a hole in my boat for my outboard like a Hobie 33/Henderson 30 I'm not allowed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hobie's are Transom hung. I believe the issue is you need to be able to charge your batteries from your outboard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Azzura 310.  I've asked before.....   no bueno as they are "firm on the motor rule" per the tech committee.   I meet the other requirements such as inboard tank, etc.  Hobies are not transom hung as that is not allowed (8.6.2).   They have a well just inside their stern.

Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I can read the applicable rule is in US SER 2.7.1

A boat shall have a mechanical propulsion system that is quickly available and capable of driving the boat at a minimum speed in knots equivalent to the square root of LWL in feet (1.81 times the square root of the waterline in meters) for 10 hours.

Originally the Hobies had a transom well. But, several now have open transoms. The Hobie I sail on has a transom hung O/B. Captain Sluggo is also an open transom. So, I can't see how they would have a well. But, they are entered.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tom O'Keefe said:

From what I can read the applicable rule is in US SER 2.7.1

A boat shall have a mechanical propulsion system that is quickly available and capable of driving the boat at a minimum speed in knots equivalent to the square root of LWL in feet (1.81 times the square root of the waterline in meters) for 10 hours.

Originally the Hobies had a transom well. But, several now have open transoms. The Hobie I sail on has a transom hung O/B. Captain Sluggo is also an open transom. So, I can't see how they would have a well. But, they are entered.

 

Captain Sluggo is a well, similar to the Henderson.  You can see it on their Facebook page.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, solosailor said:

Azzura 310.  I've asked before.....   no bueno as they are "firm on the motor rule" per the tech committee.   I meet the other requirements such as inboard tank, etc.  Hobies are not transom hung as that is not allowed (8.6.2).   They have a well just inside their stern.

You would have been "allowed" to race Pac Cup, and didn't. Why whine about Transpac, when you have no intention of racing anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, solosailor said:

Read the 8.6 rules in the NOR......   very specific about the outboard requirements.

Solo you're right, it is very specific.  I stand corrected.

17 hours ago, saboteer said:

Captain Sluggo is a well, similar to the Henderson.  You can see it on their Facebook page.  

Thanks for the education. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, multihuler said:

Just in case I can get her ready in time I could use crew for the assembly, shakedown, and for the San Francisco Bay to Los Angeles leg

2018092095101852.jpg

20190224_132551.jpg

20190213_123355.jpg

You just need rich parents and young unemployed friends.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, multihuler said:

I just have a ultra fast trimaran, and I can easily raise $7k, paying $20k for a eight day race is over my head.

It's over most people's heads.  And that $20K is probably a low estimate.  I looked at it and decided not to put a match to $50,000.  

Done it before and may do it again, but I don't trust this economy anymore.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Our economy has always been make believe, how easy is it to balance the cooked books with a 2 Billion dollar deficit?

My only concern is to have crossed off enough on the bucket list to call life successful. There are no do overs and my kid only gets a boat with new halyards when I am gone. 

I still believe $20k will get 4 sailors to Hawaii.

Ps, I am working on it.6715865.jpg.df972f51e92aee60c8ce424f20b632b1.jpg

 

 

20190304_174715.jpg

It's the "stay there a while and then get the boat back" where the dollars start sneaking up.  And I was dealing with 6 more people than you.

Have fun and good luck!!!!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 4/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, The yacht killer said:

Just seen that big bottom girl Comanche is going over for the race interesting. 

Comanche is sitting in Darling Harbour with the rig out.  Getting ready for shipping ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

A two boat Australian assault on the Transpac this year with both a heavy and light race maybe covered off?

Last weekend the N2E (a drifter) with "Alive" a RP66 getting a bunch of mono silverware and was winner of the 2018 S2H. Might also be a case of two US cast offs coming back to bite. Alive originally commissioned and sailed out of Newport as "Stark Raving Mad"

alive.jpg

Awards_social_GRAN8822.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

A two boat Australian assault on the Transpac this year with both a heavy and light race maybe covered off?

Last weekend the N2E (a drifter) with "Alive" a RP66 getting a bunch of mono silverware and was winner of the 2018 S2H. Might also be a case of two US cast offs coming back to bite. Alive originally commissioned and sailed out of Newport as "Stark Raving Mad"

alive.jpg

Awards_social_GRAN8822.jpg

Yes both ends of the spectrum covered. Pity Scallywag wasn't going, I'm enjoying her escapades of late.! This is the race the Big Indian was built for weather permitting. She owns the record but now is electric off course. One of my favourite races.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Yes both ends of the spectrum covered. Pity Scallywag wasn't going, I'm enjoying her escapades of late.! This is the race the Big Indian was built for weather permitting. She owns the record but now is electric off course. One of my favourite races.

I believe Skallywag is doing the Transatlantic instead

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone care to pick the elapsed time difference for this race between RIO100 and Comanche with the typical Pacific High in place?

1: Light - 0-10 Knots

2: Med  - 10-15 Knots

3. Strong - 15-25 Knots

Link to post
Share on other sites