12 hours ago, Ludovic said:

It's flotation device

Good idea.

Looks like ton of fun.  Enjoy and post more pics when you get them.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have a US Portsmouth Handicap number for the VX EVO?

We have one registered for the Mug Race in Florida, 38+ miles up the St. Johns River with perhaps 100 boats from small to cruising, slow to foiling.

We use DPN as the wind will change during the up to 12 hours that it takes to sail the course.

One manufacturers rep suggested 88. Sounds about right for the big rig. What say you???

Dave Ellis

Race Committee Portsmouth Guesser

2 hours ago, K9u20 said:

A VX Evo raced in the Mug Race in 2018 with a Portsmouth Rating of 83. Don’t know how they did.

Forgot about that. Nice fellow. He finished with two of the Raiders. 

There was a non-spinnaker Raider that finished well ahead. Won the 88-boat fleet on handicap by 25 minutes over second place, a cruising boat. Guess who.

Weird wind year that had the catamarans becalmed at the halfway point. eh eh.

Dave Ellis

After comments from several sources, we are going with an 84 handicap for the EVO. 

This skipper has had three years to hone his skills in the boat since the 2018 Mug Race where he had an 83. So a little bump should make him happy, eh.

Hey Rod, Is the ballasted centerboard a  dead concept?? Still might be some old guys like me looking for some extra stability. Might broaden the appeal.

Not much has changed, we are expecting a shipment of boats in October and the tooling for the keel base has not been refined yet. The prototype keel is perfect as a blade, but the securing part of the deal is not finished and is crucial to avoid pendulum effect of the bulb at the daggerboard trunk. 

I'll report as soon as we have more progress.

Yes , you can see on the pic a D-One, an RS 500 and an RS 700, and a vx evo of course.

Downwind the Vx EVO goes as fast as the D-One. 

One the other hand, up wind,  D-one is more efficient.

But, my VX evo is more stable ! (and so mutch elegant ;) )

On 11/8/2017 at 5:06 AM, Rodfavela said:

So  I finally got my act together and jumped on the Evo to race. # of them have gone through the shop since September, but got sold before I can actual go out and race it.We loaded the truck, hooked the dolly/trailer combo and hit the road South to Canyon Lake for the 2017 Wurstfest Regatta. I raced it on Portsmouth and it was light air racing both days. 

The boat is great, stable and very darn quick. I have not sailed it in medium or even heavy air yet, but so fat  it is way beyond my expectations.

Here are some shots:

IMG_8115..jpg

does it have a keel or no?

• Like 1
On 4/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, Ludovic said:

Yes , you can see on the pic a D-One, an RS 500 and an RS 700, and a vx evo of course.

Downwind the Vx EVO goes as fast as the D-One. 

One the other hand, up wind,  D-one is more efficient.

But, my VX evo is more stable ! (and so mutch elegant ;) )

Thank you!

I do need to say I  agree on the "elegant" part :)

On 4/13/2021 at 7:40 PM, sailwriter said:

After comments from several sources, we are going with an 84 handicap for the EVO. 

This skipper has had three years to hone his skills in the boat since the 2018 Mug Race where he had an 83. So a little bump should make him happy, eh.

any results to help with the question??

Was possibly smart not to start this edition of the Mug Race.

At the start, those who happened to be on the west side of the river-wide start line soon got a puff and a big port tack lift and were GONE. By the time the folks who had gone right or middle at the start got to the first big bend in the river, the left group was out of sight around the next bend, two miles away. And it got worse, as the front group kept what wind there was for longer.

I was sailing a salvaged Hunter 170. Handicap 92.7. It took until 6:00 PM to get to the midway gate bridge. Finished after 13 hours, an hour after the sundown time limit. (And I had won this event in 2018 on a Raider.)

So, if the EVO had been to the left, good. Right? 40 of the 78 boats didn't finish. 

This week-end I have been sailing next to a brand new VX EVO in Germany. The relatively long hull makes it look great and sail pretty fast in light winds! :)