Maximum Sail Area

PinkSpinnaker

I have a simple question, at what point does more sail area become a detriment to boatspeed.  Let’s say that you’re on a reach, would it be faster to have all of your sails up, maximum sail area and a maximum amount of slots, is that faster than a simple reacher and mainsail?  This question is mainly referring to reaching and downwind, not when Sailing on the wind

713634E3-AB10-458C-8CF6-5EA9DFAD0091.jpeg

The more power the faster you go . 

Naturally the boat must be designed to carry the power and the helmsman must be able to keep the boat under the sails.

when do  you reach the edge is a good question...at some point you must slow down, you must remove power.

More sail area is faster, as long as it's efficient. If the sails blanket each other, or overlap is so large that the leech is adding drag, then more isn't faster. That's what testing and practice determines.

For the same total sail area, there will be an optimum configuration.  Depending on boat length, its likely to be kite/code+main or kite/code+main+staysail.. not lots of sails.

The reason people fly lots of sails in the slot is because of ratings rules. The staysails are 'free' - being classed as headsails under most rules.

As others have pointed out above - more is always faster until the boat (or crew) can't handle it.  Too much heel, too much rudder, etc.

Look outside your typical yacht to get your clues:  Older unlimited 18ft skiffs ran huge (as big as possible) rigs. Usually limited by technology (mast weight), righting moment (crew), etc.

On December 31, 2017 at 2:50 PM, thistle3466 said:

I have a simple question, at what point does more sail area become a detriment to boatspeed.  

22 square metres is the total wing area  on the current fastest boat in the world, the Vestas Speed Rocket2, no slots.

Ok, totally irrelevant but it always starts with that one little simple question...

The answer is that it depends. That photo of spookie above looks like mid peel to me(so not a typical setup), FRO->A5 with the J3 and Genoa staysail still there from the FRO set up. 

Look at Comanche and big Multis for another big indicator as to what is fast..part of the reason those boats were built with the rig so far back was to increase possible sail area in front of the mast. Also a reason why WOXI chopped 10ish feet off the stern and tossed that extra length into a new bow, moves the rig aft. 

My experience while tight-beam reaching on a number of boats is that a genoa staysail makes the helm a lot more balanced and easy to drive. 

Archived