Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m wondering why he didn’t just buy a shipping container and bash the corners in a bit. 

I'm 3 1/2 hours by sailboat to Bellingham from the Islands, I will ask around when I am in Bellingham to launch and pick up my boat first of the week and see if I can junior detective any pertinent in

It is fractally fucked, any little sub bit is fucked in a manner similar to the whole.  I hope he puts the air cooled VW engine in.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TwoLegged said:

The comments below the line are a trainwreck.

A horde of fans/enablers shouting down anyone who dares question the work

Thanks, I’ll take a look. :P

Edit, some thr comments read more like an SA forum discussion. :lol:

• Like 1

I didnt look too hard, but did he put any rat holes in the frames for water flow in the bilges ?

I think using the free house building engineered wood for the boat is a good idea.

You'de hate to see something you paid for sink.

• Like 1

I'm still of the opinion that he's going to have difficulty finding a yard willing to risk launching it..he might end up doing a Hot Rod. And it looks to me like a capsize looking for a place to happen. Hope he doesn't invite guests aboard. 

Well, if he restricts the guest list to just those fools who have been cheerleading on Facebook then Darwin might have a profitable day.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, RKoch said:

I'm still of the opinion that he's going to have difficulty finding a yard willing to risk launching it..he might end up doing a Hot Rod. And it looks to me like a capsize looking for a place to happen. Hope he doesn't invite guests aboard. 

Even with the 10 bags of concrete for ballast?  What could go wrong.

The biggest problem could be that it WONT capsize straight away.

It will probably happen after a series of tame trial motoring, and  then he will take it out in a bit of wind with a few friends ...

The worst problems always happen a few months into production ......

• Like 1

There seems to be some sort of mixup in thread titles.

Shouldn't THIS thread be the one titled

What does this item have in common with a boat?

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, dorydude said:

I'm impressed by the "storage for long things". Such detailed planning is great to see.

I must have missed the episode when he told us where the engine was going, cos it doesn't look obvious at this stage..

I think the type of engine and it’s place are still to be decided, it’s been discussed somewhere here. 

Nail Guns are VERY appropriate for this boat, along with manufactured flooring and untreated pine with no limber holes.

This 'edifice' is either going to be another half sunken wreck along the coast somewhere, or quite a good playhouse for the local kids.

In either case, you wouldnt want a lot of money and  time invested.

10 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I'd prefer a heavier gun.

Something like a 155mm artillery gun.  With a W48 shell

That would certainly do the trick and once the mountaintop was gone, you could build a nice new shop.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Dnomyar said:

That's him building portholes with the lip of the window facing inwards to the interior of the boat.

Normally that would be a concern where a hit from a wave would push the window into the boat, but in this case... 

8 minutes ago, sculpin said:

Normally that would be a concern where a hit from a wave would push the window into the boat, but in this case... 

Yeah, in this case they will pop in as the boat rolls over

On 7/20/2018 at 10:12 PM, Dnomyar said:

and  then he will take it out in a bit of wind with a few friends ...

Ok, what are you smoking?

This guy and friends are like him and boatbuilding skills

On 8/15/2018 at 9:17 AM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I can't post comments to youtube from the office, but, I'd love it if someone asked why he didn't block the project to level before he began, and when he's planning to leak test his welds. 

In an episode I saw he woke up to find it had rained over night and the "hull" was holding water. "Ohey, let's get going again".

• Like 1

If it doesn't work out as planned he can always turn it into a Winnebago. He does seem to be pretty adept with automobiles. 

a-rusty-old-vintage-motorhome-with-an-as

On 8/15/2018 at 2:12 AM, Lark said:

To build anticipation for the glorious launch date somewhere in the distant future.   

Anyone want to take a bet on how many more updates before he thinks about a launching trailer??

19 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

only the best people

Now where have I heard that before? Hmmmmm......

19 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

only the best people

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

In case he can drive it to NY on the shakedown cruise...

2EB5E34E-719C-47C8-A1E7-3469BC633763.jpeg

Ship Recycling in..... Sounds like a countdown.

• 1 month later...

The wonderful thing about this build is that apart from the sheer insanity of building a "boat" this way, the builder himself sounds quite normal and rational.

This makes it stand out from the many daft builds where the creator evidently has many screws lose.  

I disagree, Legs. Putting on my amateur psychiatrist hat, his flat affect and "often wrong, never in doubt" inward focus are both red flags. If they arrested him for a spate of grisly murders in the vicinity, I can't say I'd be surprised. I'm glad he's got a hobby that may keep him at least partially occupied. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, IStream said:

I disagree, Legs. Putting on my amateur psychiatrist hat, his flat affect and "often wrong, never in doubt" inward focus are both red flags. If they arrested him for a spate of grisly murders in the vicinity, I can't say I'd be surprised. I'm glad he's got a hobby that may keep him at least partially occupied. 

I expect a video of "how I cut my leg off" any day now.

His analytic skills on plexi are interesting.  Never had much problem with it myself, just go slow.

Looks a bit thin for the size, good thing that the chances of this "boat" being hit by a big wave are zero.

And I like how he wears shorts while using the grinder, he must have no nerve endings left on his legs.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bump.   Still a long way from launch.   It may float on its lines, but stability handling and ability to keep the keel have yet to be addressed.   

On 3/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like he's deep into the esoteric calculations but he hasn't learned anything about actually designing a boat.

Or building one for that matter.

Did anyone else notice the green can of wood preservative in one of the videos?  If its as nasty as the "good old stuff" I have and he uses it inside he will surely die on his first night aboard, that is, if it doesn't turtle first.  That stuff is toxic enough just using it outside. 

What a waste of effort and time and money.  I think I saw his tabulation of something like $7900 so far in materials (that he hadn't scavenged from "inventory" laying around the house), and there will be more money spent before its "done".  Imagine the real boat you could buy for that.  I am so sorry for people like this.  He could be sailing all this time instead of all the silly mucking around in that coffin.  Sheeesh.

On 1/2/2018 at 2:06 PM, Ed Lada said:

He might be OK as long as he doesn't mind measuring VMG with a calendar.

Funny thing is, it's not that improbable that he can make 50% of "optimal" VMG if he just gets some basic tuning right.

On the other hand, I just watched him work for an entire day to build a motor mount from scrap, he'll still need (probably purchased) rubber to go inside his welded/fabricated part.  If you total his hours invested, I'm sure he's 2x+ from optimal on that measure.  Which could be just fine - some people waste more time/money on "entertainment" and get less than nothing to show for their investment at the end of it all.

2 hours ago, MangoCats said:

Funny thing is, it's not that improbable that he can make 50% of "optimal" VMG if he just gets some basic tuning right.

On the other hand, I just watched him work for an entire day to build a motor mount from scrap, he'll still need (probably purchased) rubber to go inside his welded/fabricated part.  If you total his hours invested, I'm sure he's 2x+ from optimal on that measure.  Which could be just fine - some people waste more time/money on "entertainment" and get less than nothing to show for their investment at the end of it all.

Yeah, I'm sure he is mostly doing it for fun.  He has tinkered around on other projects.  The fact is the boat won't stay afloat for long anyway, so it's good he is enjoying the build.  It's about the journey not the destination.  Or maybe he is truly delusional and thinks he really will sail off somewhere.  Time will tell.

3 hours ago, MangoCats said:

some people waste more time/money on "entertainment" and get less than nothing to show for their investment at the end of it all.

He's a perfect example of that - years of time, effort and money for a negative output.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

He's a perfect example of that - years of time, effort and money for a negative output.

I wonder if he is making money from the Youtube posts though ?

I mean, Flat Earthers make enough to justify the effort.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, Ed Lada said:

Yeah, I'm sure he is mostly doing it for fun.  He has tinkered around on other projects.  The fact is the boat won't stay afloat for long anyway, so it's good he is enjoying the build.  It's about the journey not the destination.  Or maybe he is truly delusional and thinks he really will sail off somewhere.  Time will tell.

I haven't investigated him, but the general feel is Canadian, probably inland Canadian - if he sticks with the smaller lakes he should be able to have a good time with it.

Maybe he’ll get smart and put ama’s on it.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

Has this one been posted? 

1880646507_Boatsculpture.thumb.jpg.cf3e16eab2ef1434b2949630064e5cd6.jpg

That is awesome!  But what I really want to know is what is on the other end of that tow chain off the transom?  I'm guessing a dinghy made from Jersey barriers.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Hukilau said:

That is awesome!  But what I really want to know is what is on the other end of that tow chain off the transom?  I'm guessing a dinghy made from Jersey barriers.

It’s a quanset hut that’s been turned upside down and a mast stuck in it. Engeniois! Is that a word?

6 hours ago, Dnomyar said:

Haven't seen it. Where is the Link ?

Looks more like a sculpture than anything useful.

I'm not sure the origin. I think I took the image off Sailing and Cruising Scotland FB page. Nice group on there. It's a wonderful piece of art for sure. The artist must be known and have other work. 

29 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

I'm not sure the origin. I think I took the image off Sailing and Cruising Scotland FB page. Nice group on there. It's a wonderful piece of art for sure. The artist must be known and have other work. 

is it tom maclean

Whale6_3584863b.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12176836/Former-SAS-trooper-73-aims-to-cross-Atlantic-in-a-whale-named-Moby.html

• Like 2
15 hours ago, dylan winter said:

One has to wash up every day prior to helming this boat, less one gets launched in a sneeze!

- Stumbling

On 11/6/2018 at 12:46 AM, Lark said:

He’s recognizing the potential for stress cracks in the square corners, not much else is new.  

This link seems to have jumped to the latest.  The plate distortion and addition of the hull plating I n the engine area are a disaster to behold! :P

1 minute ago, mad said:

But the launching is going to be epic entertainment 

Yes, it's hard to patiently wait for the great event. But I fear the 'boat' will not survive transport before falling to pieces. 

Assuming it makes it to the ramp intact, I don't think there's be enough buoyancy to generate much drama. I suspect it'll drop to the "design" waterline and just keep on dropping until it touches solid earth.

4 hours ago, monsoon said:

Yes, it's hard to patiently wait for the great event. But I fear the 'boat' will not survive transport before falling to pieces. 

The launch will surely be exciting.   We really need a reporter on scene.   'Rusty Junk' seemed to handle the jacking surprisingly well.  I didn't hear tortured metal groaning at all.   I recall the keel and bolts looked undersized to do more then hold the keel against the static force of gravity (based on my redneck spec system, having seen thousands of pictures if not as many real keel bolts), but he doesn't plan on adding the keel until after transport.  I think we'll see her swim and sail slowly downwind at least once.   He keeps plugging away.  If he's unable to get access to a lift he'll build his own out of a couple surplus telephone poles and a billboard he finds along the highway.   

4 hours ago, IStream said:

Assuming it makes it to the ramp intact, I don't think there's be enough buoyancy to generate much drama. I suspect it'll drop to the "design" waterline and just keep on dropping until it touches solid earth.

I’ve got 10 on it gently rolling over and capsizing. 

• Like 1

Someone we know is egging him on:

image.thumb.png.b588d83f542f96d089a65e8be075bb37.png

Fuck you Dylan, from now on I'll keep my own embarrassments to myself . "Remarkable" is such a weasel-word. (Look where meh tongue is..)

On 4/5/2019 at 7:18 PM, Priscilla said:

11EE993D-3858-4DBA-8750-DFCAC08AD0AB.thumb.jpeg.8e1f1f315817b914db338840892e2411.jpeg3F3267FC-BE0F-47CD-8895-129688B63831.thumb.jpeg.e4057d100ba52a4f3a68b0316808bdb0.jpeg

I think this could also be on the LONQR thread.:P

• Like 1
On 4/5/2019 at 10:49 PM, seabell said:

Someone we know is egging him on:

image.thumb.png.b588d83f542f96d089a65e8be075bb37.png

Fuck you Dylan, from now on I'll keep my own embarrassments to myself . "Remarkable" is such a weasel-word. (Look where meh tongue is..)

encouragement where encouragement is due - he is a man of energy and drive

if people leave me nice comments on my films I always respond

if they tap me a few bob then I write them a nice email

the rude shit (and there is lots of it) gets deleted

Dylan

PS the rude stuff comes from three main groups of people - Trumpists -Scottish nationalists - and owners of two strokes

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1