Another Interesting Home Built Steel Boat

9 hours ago, woahboy said:

Hmm, I've never heard of that philosopher. I'll have to look them up some time.

All my own work. 

The original post read: "Cool guys don't waste time arguing with moronic cunts 'cos they harsh your buzz, man."  I cleaned that up and added the  "Fuck 'em" for clarity, punch and modern relevance. 

Philosophy requires a certain elegance and precision of expression.

• Like 3
  • Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m wondering why he didn’t just buy a shipping container and bash the corners in a bit. 

I'm 3 1/2 hours by sailboat to Bellingham from the Islands, I will ask around when I am in Bellingham to launch and pick up my boat first of the week and see if I can junior detective any pertinent in

It is fractally fucked, any little sub bit is fucked in a manner similar to the whole.  I hope he puts the air cooled VW engine in.

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Happy said:

All my own work. 

The original post read: "Cool guys don't waste time arguing with moronic cunts 'cos they harsh your buzz, man."  I cleaned that up and added the  "Fuck 'em" for clarity, punch and modern relevance. 

Philosophy requires a certain elegance and precision of expression.

the above excellent prose is why I waste time looking at this forum -

• Like 1

This thread reminded me of the bloke I met as a youngster who'd been building a steel 53' Roberts for over 15 years.

He had the frames and some longitudinals in place, a pile of rust shaped like a hull. In his house he had filing cabinets full of drawings for interior layouts and the brigantine rig he wanted.

His wife told me he loved the idea of building a boat, but was useless, lazy, and scared of the sea.

• 1 month later...

Keel cooler like a workboat.   I think single hose clamps on unflanged pipes shows confidence.

5 minutes ago, Lark said:

Keel cooler like a workboat.   I think single hose clamps on unflanged pipes shows confidence.

You beat me to the update, it’s a slow moving train wreck that I can’t stop watching. 

Any bets on his launch date? 

I think he’ll launch with the interior rough finished and before the simple rig is added,     The first video was 18 months ago, so as early as next fall.   We really need a reporter for the occasion.   

15 hours ago, mad said:

You beat me to the update, it’s a slow moving train wreck that I can’t stop watching. 

12th of Never.

FKT

19 hours ago, mad said:

Between this guy building the boat, and this guy doing the “Naseesha Sessions”, YouTube has all the entertainment you need :-) (a young UK Muslim kid who gives advice from the prophet on all aspects of life, including, here, acceptable sexual positions.  I’m flipping between the two channels this morning - this one randomly popped up in my “suggested videos” list for some reason! :-) )  What would he say about this boat, I wonder? 

I guess my post above came out of “left field”, as they say in the U.S., and may leave some readers scratching their head. I should explain.  What (surprisingly) struck me was the similarity of these two people —the boatbuilder and the young theologian/scholar-quoting guy (the latter of which was a random YouTube “find”): they’re both incredibly earnest and each is utterly convinced of his rightness.  Which leads to humour. :-)

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Between this guy building the boat, and this guy doing the “Naseesha Sessions”, YouTube has all the entertainment you need :-) (a young UK Muslim kid who gives advice from the prophet on all aspects of life, including, here, acceptable sexual positions.  I’m flipping between the two channels this morning - this one randomly popped up in my “suggested videos” list for some reason! :-) )  What would he say about this boat, I wonder? 

I’ll save that one for later. 

On 5/18/2019 at 10:21 AM, Lark said:

This guy's got some crazy ideas.  His home made cutlass bearing is nuts. Basically just glued some rubber strips in a tube.  What could go wrong.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Religious zealots would be funny if they weren't so dangerously fucked up.

They ARE funny.

However the ones that want to impose their dangerously fucked-up-edness on the rest of us should be deprived of oxygen

They don't "believe in" science anyway so this should be fine with them

FB- Doug

47 minutes ago, Blitz said:

This guy's got some crazy ideas.  His home made cutlass bearing is nuts. Basically just glued some rubber strips in a tube.  What could go wrong.

Watch from the beginning to truly enjoy    :P

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

If it looks right, it is right. Right?

I like the closed loop cooling system with no expansion tank or obvious way to monitor the fluid method...

And why the weird shaped fuel tank? 

6 hours ago, Blitz said:

Nah. He's got that one right. If you read the story of the invention of the CUT LESS bearing in the mining industry, and the formation of the CUTLAS bearing company, you will see that's all they are.

He may have to replace it more often, but that's probably expected.

There is not a lot of pressure on a well-balanced prop shaft, the shaft tends to self align under power anyway (as per those Asian longtails)

They used to use wood FFS !  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs4guRhwCXQ

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Crikey a see through cabin sole and  all purpose remote control.

After watching Capitane Chaos and his fugly steel  POS this is a welcome relief.

The power of the human mind never fails to impress.

Wow. Someone who knows what he is doing, but more importantly, a guy who has the money as well.

Dnomyar is right.  There is no comparing the two projects from a budget standpoint.   Likely the Gustav trawler also uses conventional components and methods.  How boring.

The Rusty project reinvents essential components of moderate expense, even though failure is likely to be fatal to the boat and possibly crew.   It ignores a thousand years of marine construction lessons and relies on joinery reminiscent of historic riverboat remains I saw in Kansas City.   The Arabia was built inexpensively by landsmen, intended to run briefly on flat water before it would inevitably be lost to accident.

Steamboat-Arabia-preserved-stern-section-640x475.jpg

I wouldn't daysail Rusty Junk further off shore then I can confidently swim or sleep onboard without a bilge watch.   As a demonstration project in post apocalypse marine engineering, I quite like it.   As a hobbyist, its fun to compare standard or historic solutions to the Imagineering this enterprising guy comes up with.   Its a Disney boat, perhaps not intended for the real world.   

2 hours ago, Lark said:

Dnomyar is right.  There is no comparing the two projects from a budget standpoint.   Likely the Gustav trawler also uses conventional components and methods.  How boring.

The Rusty project reinvents essential components of moderate expense, even though failure is likely to be fatal to the boat and possibly crew.   It ignores a thousand years of marine construction lessons and relies on joinery reminiscent of historic riverboat remains I saw in Kansas City.   The Arabia was built inexpensively by landsmen, intended to run briefly on flat water before it would inevitably be lost to accident.

Steamboat-Arabia-preserved-stern-section-640x475.jpg

I wouldn't daysail Rusty Junk further off shore then I can confidently swim or sleep onboard without a bilge watch.   As a demonstration project in post apocalypse marine engineering, I quite like it.   As a hobbyist, its fun to compare standard or historic solutions to the Imagineering this enterprising guy comes up with.   Its a Disney boat, perhaps not intended for the real world.   

Looks Goofy to me.

10 hours ago, Lark said:

As a hobbyist, its fun to compare standard or historic solutions to the Imagineering this enterprising guy comes up with.   Its a Disney boat, perhaps not intended for the real world.   

For what it's worth, it seems that anyone who chooses to build a cruising boat from home (given today's used boat market) is significantly more into the tinkering than the cruising. I wish this guy the best but really hope he doesn't stray too far from shore.

1 hour ago, AmericanVagrant said:

I wish this guy the best but really hope he doesn't stray too far from shore.

I don't think you need to be concerned about that.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well that was a waste of 5 minutes - I kept skipping ahead.

Pity he didn't put his energy into something that actually had a chance of working out well. I admire his drive but he has really shitty fab skills and worse judgement.

FKT

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 12:28 PM, mad said:

Talk about a complete, total waste of GOD’s Precious Recources. 

It's OK. I checked with God, and He said that it's mostly junk, and it will make a good fish habitat about a mile offshore after the Diesel fuel fire has burnt out all the noxious interior.

6 hours ago, Santana20AE said:

Talk about a complete, total waste of GOD’s Precious Recources. 

What’s this God thing you speak of??

Could this God entity maybe supply me with a nice 40-50 cruising speedster (something like a stretched J125 with a starck interior maybe). Promise I'll call it the raising God awareness.

On 7/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, AmericanVagrant said:

And the sheaves. Rubber rollers with what appears to be plated mild steel bushings.

Corrosion, friction and halyard loads staring at this guy in disbelief: "Are we a joke to you?"

If I remember correctly he's going for a junk rig, so at least the loads should be manageable.

And will it float right-side up long enough for corrosion to become an issue? I have my doubts 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the giant poop emoji sculpture continues to be extruded onto this builder's driveway. I'm glad he appears to be seeing it through, and I hope he gets to sail it some at least.

I thought he was going to put a VW engine on deck and run a pulley to a prop shaft? That's what he said at least, and it would have been fun to see. Now it looks like a regular old diesel sitting there. Oh well, maybe he'll put an Arneson surface drive made out of a recycled weed wacker on it.

I don't think his hacker mojo was working too well with the engine choices. A real hacker might've used a large straight shaft mud drive, the prop driven by an old electric bus drive motor which is in turn powered by a a diesel compressor engine mounted in the bow powering a dyno made from the other old electric bus drive motor, both taken from a bus purchased at auction for fifty bucks and being lived in off-grid near Vegas. The smell of ozone, like at the bumper cars, would be been worth it by itself.

With the straight shaft setup, he could swing the mud motor shaft around and use it as a bow thruster or side thruster. Many missed opportunities. I think he's getting lazy, but it's a big project. Standard off the shelf solutions need to be used now and then I suppose.

image.png.3de826de4e1c56cca81a468760dec937.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

You'd think he could at least have gotten a straight log to use as a mast.

This whole thing reminds me of a 12 Y.O. boy throwing a "boat" together - but on steroids.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You'd think he could at least have gotten a straight log to use as a mast.

This whole thing reminds me of a 12 Y.O. boy throwing a "boat" together - but on steroids.

What about the wind shakes (splits) throughout the spar?  This is looking more and more like an Art Installation, designed to simply look like a boat, or the idea of one. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, PaulK said:

What about the wind shakes (splits) throughout the spar?  This is looking more and more like an Art Installation, designed to simply look like a boat, or the idea of one. 

Based on the keel attachment, I don’t think the splits will be severely stressed.   The mast is calculated to provide adequate flotation to prevent turtling and should right the boat on the way down.   It will never be stressed by hitting the mud.

I admit to being amazed he single handedly got the mast from the ground to vertical without dropping the porch roof.  Maybe he will amaze me again?    

On 4/7/2019 at 6:10 PM, Lark said:

Hey,   My 18 footer uses a two stroke evinrude.   It just won’t die.   It had one mechanical in the 90’s, otherwise it starts on the second pull every single time.   The range sucks but it’s enough to maneuver around the powerboats at the ramp.   When the Tohatsu fuel sipping pocket cruiser pusher can come close to the reliability of that old polluter I’ll replace it.   That would require running without fail for the rest of the century, to offset its current dismal record.   In the meantime my 2 stroke polluter is also the backup in the garage for those times ethanol and modern technology fail.    The carbon footprint and environmental impact of repairs, trips to the mechanic and all the wonder chemicals I have to add to the ‘clean’ motor surely offset it’s more modest pollution.   Give me your best shot.   :D.

Last night my brother and I were watching yacht reviews and I threw up your Portsmouth video as a counterpoint to the 60 footers he drools over.   Then we switched to Will Ferrell.   But your video was cool.   

Our Evinrude 8HP Yachttwin, two stroke is pretty much the same story.  Always starts though sometimes it takes three pulls.  After suffering with a modern 4 cycle outboard on the Santana, going though a carb re build every year, being cantankerous to start and a knuckle buster to boot, I have decided that i have owned my very last outboard.  Wishing they could again restart the production run of small two cycle engines.  

But there is a problem with the Yachttwin.  Lifting the engine on the outboard bracket will hasten my switch to an inboard diesel.  The hardest part of sailing is raising and lower the outboard.  Sooner than later, it will have to go.  

The Santana, being a lake boat, a trolling motor does the trick and is far more reliable than the 2.5 horsepower outboard.  

28 minutes ago, Santana20AE said:

Our Evinrude 8HP Yachttwin, two stroke is pretty much the same story.  Always starts though sometimes it takes three pulls.  After suffering with a modern 4 cycle outboard on the Santana, going though a carb re build every year, being cantankerous to start and a knuckle buster to boot, I have decided that i have owned my very last outboard.  Wishing they could again restart the production run of small two cycle engines.  

But there is a problem with the Yachttwin.  Lifting the engine on the outboard bracket will hasten my switch to an inboard diesel.  The hardest part of sailing is raising and lower the outboard.  Sooner than later, it will have to go.  

The Santana, being a lake boat, a trolling motor does the trick and is far more reliable than the 2.5 horsepower outboard.  

I’m grateful a shop (now out of business) downsold me to the Sailmaster 6.   10 pounds lighter then the Tohatsu 8 as I recall, its much lighter then old motors.   It takes a lot of throttle in gale winds, but otherwise has more then adequate power and good range for coastal hops on Erie or Michigan when the wind fails.    Now that I’ve learned to disconnect the fuel line and run the carb out of ethanol tainted gas EVERY use, it seems to run more often.  My builder also included a 8:1 block and tackle motor mount of his own design, so I’ve got it made.

If the evinrude 4 is lost an electric motor would push the light 18 footer just fine.   It just sees inland lakes now.   Paddles are an invitation for the never ending stream of powerboats to cut in front of you, especially if lightning is visible.   I’m surprised 2.5 hp worked for your boat, I got blown backward leaving the dock in 20-25 mph with the four HP at full throttle pushing the R 22.   The shaft wasn’t extra long, but I thought I was underpowered too.    If there wasn’t an empty slip to back into I would have hit the wall.   Probably a lot of boats of this range have 9.8hp motors because the owner had a similar scare.   

My question - how is he going to get it back out of the boat???

That thing is fractally fucked.  Any randomly chosen individual piece will show the same level of fuckedness as the rest of it.

On 8/5/2019 at 8:40 PM, Lark said:

I’m surprised 2.5 hp worked for your boat, I got blown backward leaving the dock in 20-25 mph with the four HP at full throttle pushing the R 22.   The shaft wasn’t extra long, but I thought I was underpowered too.    If there wasn’t an empty slip to back into I would have hit the wall.   Probably a lot of boats of this range have 9.8hp motors because the owner had a similar scare.   

A Santana 20 has a displacement of 1350 lbs dry and has an exceptionally easily driven hull form.  We can get 2.5 to 3 mph with the trolling motor.  (On good days)   The 2.5 Honda was more than enough.  

The 8 Evinrude struggles to get the S2 above 3.5 knots.  Two factors, the S2 is fairly heavy with a displacement of 4250 empty and the Evinrude is definitely not producing the power it should be.  Reliable though.  

Now for the Santana, Super light air boat, but when the winds pick up, she digs a hole in the water and tres to hide in it, stern first.  So, when the winds are blowing 20 to 25, the Santana stays home.  

• Like 1

I thought the mast was a practice go, and not the real thing.

I could be easily wrong... haven't really been paying attention.

If it is, then a chainsaw removal is easy peasy.

So the mast head assembly, which he was barely able to get installed with the boat on the hard, is supposed to just pop off and come down to him so he doesn't have to go up? What? He's going to carry a thirty foot pole around to poke the mast head off and it's going to float down to him? That janky mast cap and sheeve thingy isn't going to get stuck up there on day one? He should make a set of telephone pole climbing spikes to attach to his Nikes asap.

On another fail point, doesn't a free standing stick put significantly more load on the partners? Will the tin can deck hold up to that?

On 8/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, PaulK said:

It won’t last 5 minutes as a freestanding junk rig, but he’s got a little bit to do before that. :P

35 minutes ago, lasal said:

So the mast head assembly, which he was barely able to get installed with the boat on the hard, is supposed to just pop off and come down to him so he doesn't have to go up? What? He's going to carry a thirty foot pole around to poke the mast head off and it's going to float down to him? That janky mast cap and sheeve thingy isn't going to get stuck up there on day one? He should make a set of telephone pole climbing spikes to attach to his Nikes asap.

On another fail point, doesn't a free standing stick put significantly more load on the partners? Will the tin can deck hold up to that?

The first hoist and some wet weather and that thing will compress on in place nicely. Which will save him killing himself by dropping it on his head servicing it. 

38 minutes ago, lasal said:

I hope the guy lands a girlfriend out of his efforts at least. He's handy around the house,

The Red Green qualification - "If the girls don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy."

And he definitely aspires to a Red Green level of workmanship.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, AmericanVagrant said:

Interesting that he's sealing it up now rather than fitting the cabin first. I'm genuinely impressed by the guy's determination

I'm saddened by his determination since it flies in the face of reason. Being determined to do something terribly poorly is not to be admired.

• Like 2

^ This.

I really don't like people who admire and encourage this sort of waste of human energy, capital and dreams under the mistaken view that "at least he's doing it".

Hot Rod and the FH were probably the worst examples but this guy is closing in on him.

Put that effort, drive and money to better use by building something right - then I'll admire it.

There was some symbolism in this thread popping back up the CA page at the same time Jeanne Socrates wrapped up her amazing journey. It's a reminder from the universe that there are only a limited number of great things in sailing and we must stand ever ready to heckle the infinite amount of total nonsense that exists in our sport.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

^ This.

I really don't like people who admire and encourage this sort of waste of human energy, capital and dreams under the mistaken view that "at least he's doing it".

Hot Rod and the FH were probably the worst examples but this guy is closing in on him.

Put that effort, drive and money to better use by building something right - then I'll admire it.

While I think I know where you are coming from I will counter with another project.

Our garden.

My wife, every year grows vegetables, herbs and other stuff.  (no, not that stuff)

Drive, money and done right?  Yes, yes and no.  Some stuff grows, some does not, and some the squirrels get.

Does she enjoy the pursuit?  Yup.  Is it a success?  questionable.  Human energy, Yes, tons.

Should I encourage this waste of human energy?  I am married, so you know how this will play out if I don't.

And drowning is a real concern whenever the hose gets left on.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Windward said:

While I think I know where you are coming from I will counter with another project.

Our garden.

My wife, every year grows vegetables, herbs and other stuff.  (no, not that stuff)

Drive, money and done right?  Yes, yes and no.  Some stuff grows, some does not, and some the squirrels get.

Does she enjoy the pursuit?  Yup.  Is it a success?  questionable.  Human energy, Yes, tons.

Should I encourage this waste of human energy?  I am married, so you know how this will play out if I don't.

And drowning is a real concern whenever the hose gets left on.

Drowning is a real concern here too, once our boat builder launches his giant Baby Ruth into the pool.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lasal said:

Drowning is a real concern here too, once our boat builder launches his giant Baby Ruth into the pool.

Yup...  I tried to tie the nautical theme all together.   B)

7 minutes ago, lasal said:

He’ll be fine, just rather disappointed ..........It’ll just gently roll over on launching and go no further. 

1 minute ago, Windward said:

Yup...  I tried to tie the nautical theme all together.   B)

The gardening theme works well too, especially as our boat builder almost lost an arm and a carport unstepping his tree.

The nonskid is going to hold a nice amount of birdshit in the rubber bits. But it might work ok while looking and smelling terrible and then pealing off in sections. So there is that.

• Like 1
On 9/8/2019 at 3:16 PM, monsoon said:

I'm saddened by his determination since it flies in the face of reason. Being determined to do something terribly poorly is not to be admired.

True, I don't admire and wouldn't encourage his pursuit or putting the product of his efforts into service. But nonetheless I remain impressed about the shear will it takes to get up day after day, week after week to toil away at the project. He doesn't seem to mind wasting his time and it certainly doesn't appear that he's burning much money.

I'll wait to harbor my admonishment for if/when this pollutes the environment or puts someone other than himself into harm's way. Until then it's just a dumb thing someone is building in their yard.

37 minutes ago, mad said:

He’ll be fine, just rather disappointed ..........It’ll just gently roll over on launching and go no further. 

It might roll over on the interstate first. But I hope to see it out on the water.

1 hour ago, dylan winter said:

I admire the man for his determination

So do I.

Doesn't stop me thinking he's an idiot who will be very unhappy with the end product though - assuming he actually expects to have a well functioning sailboat, anyway.

With the same amount of determination and maybe a couple thousand dollars to a designer for a stock plan, he'd expend the same amount of effort (or less) and have something that actually worked.

Shrug. All education has a cost. I'm thoroughly enjoying the end result of my education/labour.

FKT

On 9/10/2019 at 8:51 AM, mad said:

Yes, as the water leaks in at the badly welded seams.

We really need an unbiased video camera to accompany the trip, for posterity, of course.

• 1 month later...

I don't follow this thread closely because this guy gets my blood pressure up. That said, I do check in every few months just to see if he's drowned yet. Any bets on when this thing will launch float splash?

OK, I've just caught up through the last several pages of this highly entertaining thread. As I was scrolling through, I repeatedly had the urge to scream "Doesn't this guy know that his telephone pole mast has deep spiral cracking all the way from the base to the tip?". But then I saw his last video, got it taken care of with saw dust and bondo. My confidence in this build is now fully restored.

2 hours ago, wristwister said:

OK, I've just caught up through the last several pages of this highly entertaining thread. As I was scrolling through, I repeatedly had the urge to scream "Doesn't this guy know that his telephone pole mast has deep spiral cracking all the way from the base to the tip?". But then I saw his last video, got it taken care of with saw dust and bondo. My confidence in this build is now fully restored.

And 1" fiberglass tape stuffed into the cracks.  Stuffed.  Into.  The.  Cracks.  Holy mother of god.  He smacks it with a hammer and says "It's pretty strong".  Quite the dreamer.

10 hours ago, mad said:

Ok, just for once I’m lost for words after seeing the mast repair/upgrade.......what ever the fuck you call it. :blink:

Most of us would call it a waste of human effort.