Don't leave Hawaii

Bedford

If you are approached to deliver an SC52 to Dago from Hawaii, don't. I was approached and it seemed OK at first. Then I did some digging and I wouldn't cross a duck pond in a Zodiac with this maniac. On top of that, the deal was that you get paid within a week of your arrival. Yea, right. I think he's blown the budget and will likely stiff the delivery crew. On the shake down sail, the scheduled crew saw this guy for what he is and walked away at the last minute. From what I gather from reliable sources this guy is an idiot. He's unsafe, amateur and super annoying. I won't mention names. If his name was Mark, I wouldn't tell you.

18 minutes ago, Nettles said:

Isn't that pretty much a straight uphill bang this time of year?

First few days might be lumpy, but isn't the game to just get north of the pacific high?

See windy.com

You CAN get lucky this time of year and find a slot between systems and get a boost back to the coast - and just as equally,  you could get mercilessly pounded approaching the coast.   Don't know the skipper,  was told of the trip by a dockside source that said they were casting about for crew - those sure are nice boats.

Meanwhile,  some GREAT friends of mine,  (and of many other Hawaii sailors) - have decided to move their young family away from Oahu, for career and other reasons - and I will miss the "86'ed"   crew very much,  but wish them well in new adventures. 

19 hours ago, Bedford said:

If you are approached to deliver an SC52 to Dago from Hawaii, don't. I was approached and it seemed OK at first. Then I did some digging and I wouldn't cross a duck pond in a Zodiac with this maniac. On top of that, the deal was that you get paid within a week of your arrival. Yea, right. I think he's blown the budget and will likely stiff the delivery crew. On the shake down sail, the scheduled crew saw this guy for what he is and walked away at the last minute. From what I gather from reliable sources this guy is an idiot. He's unsafe, amateur and super annoying. I won't mention names. If his name was Mark, I wouldn't tell you.

Sad, a maniac/idiot with an SC 52.
You could get half way and find him missing and then claim the boat as payment among the crew? Consult legal advice before you leave. :)

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Sad, a maniac/idiot with an SC 52.
You could get half way and find him missing and then claim the boat as payment among the crew? Consult legal advice before you leave. :)

Sounds familiar.  Oh yeah, And the Sea Will Tell, by the guy who prosecuted Charles Manson.  Only in that scenario, they were coming to Hawaii, not leaving it.

14 hours ago, carcrash said:

I remember 86'd when it was in Santa Cruz: its one of the very earliest SC27s. Maybe the only green one.

Still green,  but in VERY good condition - recent full re-do by very skilled team,  bottom taken down to gel-coat,  keel re-faired, bulkheads replaced, the really nice NKE instrument package, some new sails - somebody will get a very nice boat when this sells.

2 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

Still green,  but in VERY good condition - recent full re-do by very skilled team,  bottom taken down to gel-coat,  keel re-faired, bulkheads replaced, the really nice NKE instrument package, some new sails - somebody will get a very nice boat when this sells.

I sailed on 86'd for several years when she was based out of Alameda--great times!  Glad to hear she's still going strong. Funny timing...I was just in Oakland yesterday and was wondering what had become of her....

On 1/8/2018 at 3:57 PM, Bedford said:

If you are approached to deliver an SC52 to Dago from Hawaii, don't.

Too bad.  They are great boats, viciously fast and easy to sail in spite of their size.  When pressed downwind they're wet, not enough volume in the bow.  I crewed on one of the early ones in the nineties and it was the first monohull I did 25kn downwind on.

But a dick owner kills the deal as far as I'm concerned.

Archived