Affordable racing tris vs. cats (<35ft)

18 minutes ago, Dead air said:

That boat is an absolute weapon in under 10kts

Well, not much help, though, for the OP.  He sails in San Francisco Bay that has "big wind and moderate chop" and also isn't interested in looking offshore for a boat.  I know that thread drift is common on anarchy sites...

Goes pretty well in bigger breeze as well, but it schooled the rest of the 8.5 multihull fleet at last years nationals in the light (day two which was 15-20kts saw the cats back at the front of the fleet). Likely not quite as comfortable in chop as a unmolested Farrier F82R as there is less rocker in the floats, but a foot longer and more sail so will be quicker overall.

Its a great boat and someone is going to get a bargain....

Looks like an awesome boat...!  And yes, likely a good deal too.

Maybe this is the "traditionalist" side of me, but I prefer to give a boat a chance to stay local.  Otherwise, I'm sure this tri would do nice enough in SF bay -- while it's mostly moderate to windy here, there are enough light patches on any given day that a good light airs boat could still perform well so long as the heavy airs are not overly slow.  We do after all have Mama Tried, another 8.5M here as well...

The amas and rudders on this should make it fast in a blow - if you can handle it.... with the daggers in the amas - curved boards is an option - and maybe T-foils on rudders - canting rig - then some practice ...

And a big checkbook to pay for the new rudder foils, curved daggerboards, float design and rebuilding. That's before you work out how the loads paths are going to go for the canting rig adjustment. (Which is even harder on this as the mast base is higher than the forestay attachment so your rig rake turns to custard unless have some flash forestay length adjustment) not saying it can't be done, but you are generally better off spending the money on sails and concentrating on sailing the boat on short leg round the cans racing

well depends of the price and the shipping cost - how much is left to the 50 or 75K? 

Seems like that boat is rather fast as it is.... 

But with its configurations - two rudders -two daggers- fast big amas-  there is a lot of options - without too much rebuilding.

If you have to ask...

To me that looks like a roll on/roll off deal. Let me just say I'm keeping a close eye on it. While de-mountable rides are stiffer and nice, having a folding system opens up a lot of possibilities. I'm guessing this will go for the cost of the sail inventory.

I have an F28R.. which is similar in size.  It would not fit in a 40ft container without taking the beams/floats off. I decided against dismantling to avoid anything being damaged.

It had to go in an open 40ft rack due to it being oversized width.

1 hour ago, can-UK said:

I have an F28R.. which is similar in size.  It would not fit in a 40ft container without taking the beams/floats off. I decided against dismantling to avoid anything being damaged.

It had to go in an open 40ft rack due to it being oversized width.

Would the trailer fit?

On 2/15/2018 at 7:13 PM, can-UK said:

This turned up on facebook today.. though the price hasn't been listed yet.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1546764972

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 12.12.16.png

It will be very interesting to see what this sells for..... reserve of $35000 is still very cheap..... anyone know what the cost would be to ship to Sydney

31 minutes ago, multihuler said:

Jesus,  nobody has any balls anymore, take a risk, NZ dollars!  I would go $15k if i could figure out how to bid!

Trade Me auctions tend to have a flurry of activity at the end of the auction, interested parties will set their maximum bids and wait and see.  I am not sure if it still happens but the auctions used to be extended for 30(?) minutes if there are multiple bidders.

March 1st should see a big jump in price

Good deal ($80K) on a F-25C up in Seattle with basically brand new sails: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/farrier-25c-race-trimaran/6496222856.html.  A bit too high for my budget, but I suspect this is going to make one multihull sailor mighty happy...

In the meantime, less than 48H left on bidding Hurts Like Heaven, an even better deal (I suspect): https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1546764972.   TradeMe is limited to residents of NZ or AUS, so I figure I'm going to be watching this one from afar -- otherwise I'd be sinking my teeth in with a decent offer...!

You should get the Seattle boat.  There are two F25Cs already in the Bay and I'm sure they'd like a third for a mini one design class.  BTW, the two F25Cs recently were the only boats to complete the 3BF in what must have been a tough race (and finished within sight of one another).  You see how easy it is for me to spend someone else' money!!

1 hour ago, String Theory said:

Not too worried about the lack of backup at the price I paid, Pete.  I have confidence in the build and looking forward to picking it up the weekend after next :-)

Ask Dean if he fixed the small centre board case leak

I only sail on Hurts once... The first race after the case was installed, we bailed the entire race around Waiheke

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Future MOB said:

Anyone know what this boat is? 35' cat sounds fun, can't tell if the aft portion is hard deck?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/35-beach-catamaran/6520813505.html

I'm tempted to call, but I'm afraid I might buy it. Maybe not a great bay boat, but could be good in SoCal?

The Ad says a "Banks 35".  Not sure which one -- looks like a newer build (ad says 1989) of a 1970s design.  Were popular up in PNW if you look at this site:

http://bcmultihulls.blogspot.com/

(Banks 35 are: Limelight V, Solar Heat)

Folks up in PNW may be able to tell us more.  To me it looks like a longer version of a Stilleto -- light but pretty low on the water.

1 minute ago, String Theory said:

Thanks Rushman.  Will do :-)

It was awhile ago... Perhaps 2013

The hole in the trailer support so the centre board could drop down and the mast could raise... I had nothing to do with that if there is a problem :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I"m finding myself going through a very similar exercise to the OP, with very similar requirements, and therefore have read this and the associated threads intimately.

In order to get something half-decent I have concluded that I probably need to sell my leadmine, therefore my wife is looking for something with a bit of accommodation for weekend trips, which rules out things like the Diam 24 and Multi 23.

I'm also into longer races (e.g. Swiftsure, Van Isle 360, R2AK) and  therefore slightly partial to trimarans due to the perception that they are slightly more forgiving that cats like the R33.

As such I am seriously considering the F-25C in the classifieds and the Antrim 30+ in SF has also captured my attention. Interestingly they appear to rate about the same.

Does anybody have any insight into these two particular boats?

1 hour ago, gspot said:

I"m finding myself going through a very similar exercise to the OP, with very similar requirements, and therefore have read this and the associated threads intimately.

In order to get something half-decent I have concluded that I probably need to sell my leadmine, therefore my wife is looking for something with a bit of accommodation for weekend trips, which rules out things like the Diam 24 and Multi 23.

I'm also into longer races (e.g. Swiftsure, Van Isle 360, R2AK) and  therefore slightly partial to trimarans due to the perception that they are slightly more forgiving that cats like the R33.

As such I am seriously considering the F-25C in the classifieds and the Antrim 30+ in SF has also captured my attention. Interestingly they appear to rate about the same.

Call me.

Stephen Marcoe

Number in classifieds, antrim 40

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rocnoggin said:

2003 Corsair 31 RS $20K in Florida.  I contacted the owner and they said the boat is in great shape, the price is real, hubby got a job in Canada and they're moving.  It's getting down to the wire and they need it sold NOW.  She sent me a bunch of pics and it looks good.  I'd buy it if I had the money!

https://m.sailboatlistings.org/view/696_99/

How are you supposed to pay the $20K? Wire transfer? I bet they want to ship the boat to you and you have 7 days to inspect the boat and if you don't like it the shipping company will send it back!  

15 hours ago, rocnoggin said:

2003 Corsair 31 RS $20K in Florida.  I contacted the owner and they said the boat is in great shape, the price is real, hubby got a job in Canada and they're moving.  It's getting down to the wire and they need it sold NOW.  She sent me a bunch of pics and it looks good.  I'd buy it if I had the money!

https://m.sailboatlistings.org/view/696_99/

@rocnoggin also pushing this boat in another thread

That thread summed up by Mowgli

mowgli

• Anarchist
  •  
  • mowgli
  • Members
  • 387 posts
  • Interests:Boat building, Trimarans

This is a scam and you are stupid if you think this is real.

•  
  • 2 months later...

Posted by Mitihuler

At 3000 lbs a r33 is not that heavy, at 700sq ft of sail to weather ( with a small jib) she has a great weight to hp ratio, add a 600 sq ft screecher or a 1100 assy spinnaker and you have a serious contender. I promise to stop pitching the R33 but there isn't another boat that can be bought at that price boat that sleeps 4, fits on a telescoping trailer in two hours and sails at -65.

As a Naval Architect that supports the US in the acquisition as well as the service live extension of naval ships and craft and also the proud owner of the the first R33 1D CAT 9, I can attest that after sailing many multihulls (skippering my R33 to 2 years as High Point champion and holding the un broken record in Maryland's Governors Cup race of 5h-46m since 2006, two years skippering G32 "Flipper" in back to back High Point championships as well as trying to tune the new Stiletto "Cheshire Cat" to be competitive in 2019) I find the R33 the most promising design. The boat is 14 feet wide flies a hull in 7 knots of wind and to me it is the closest thing in my old age when flying a hull as  having sex. The boat dragged its anchor, ran aground and was repaired by a well known beach cat racer Tony Ahrens and would be racing by now if my wife wasn't threatening divorce if I spend any money on her.

32 minutes ago, Hydrolance said:

Posted by Mitihuler

SNIP
The boat is 14 feet wide flies a hull in 7 knots of wind and to me it is the closest thing in my old age when flying a hull as  having sex.

SNIP

Are you sure you are doing sex right?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, gspot said:

On 9/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, MultiThom said:

Get the F25C.  I don't know about either of them.  I do know Erin is a fast boat, but it likely isn't worth 50K more than the F25C.  

Just to close the loop on this I wound up partnering with a buddy on a local F82R, which incidentally has enabled me to keep my lead mine for cruising or as a racing mothership hotel - for the time being at least.

All this talk about good racing tris and good prices and my nice 2008 Sprint is still sitting in Bob and Iras yard. I think it is the lowest priced example of the kind......Dang things is still for sale...and, yes, I've placed two paid ads here in the past and got zero from them (a couple Nigerian offers tho). I can't believe it's not moving for the price (just lowered to $27,500, 2008 Sprint at Bob and Iras - Brand new Sailpro engine, good trailer, etc). 

Maybe a nice pic will tempt.....take me out of my misery or I will be tempted to haul it down here to Sarasota and park it on the bay. 

sprint3.jpg

sprint5.jpg