Jump to content

A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words


Recommended Posts

Awesome pics. Duval looks pretty much the same as when I was stationed there for 6 months in 1971. Looks like the turtle kralls have gone the way of the dodo though.

My two main hangouts back then were Capt. Tony's (rumored to be where the original Sloppy Joes was) where I was in love from afar with the hot blonde barwench,  and Dos Amigos, across the street from the kralls. Just down the street was a restaurant called the Fleet Reseve where you could get a killer fried grouper sandwich and a draft beer for 75 cents.

Oh yeah, draft beers were 15 and 25 cents at a dive bar called the Raceway out on Stock Island. And once a month El Mocambo's down on Big Coppit Key would have strippers on Saturday nights.

Ooops, spelling error. Turtles kraal. Diana Kralls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Awesome pics. Duval looks pretty much the same as when I was stationed there for 6 months in 1971. Looks like the turtle kralls have gone the way of the dodo though.

My two main hangouts back then were Capt. Tony's (rumored to be where the original Sloppy Joes was) where I was in love from afar with the hot blonde barwench,  and Dos Amigos, across the street from the kralls. Just down the street was a restaurant called the Fleet Reseve where you could get a killer fried grouper sandwich and a draft beer for 75 cents.

Oh yeah, draft beers were 15 and 25 cents at a dive bar called the Raceway out on Stock Island. And once a month El Mocambo's down on Big Coppit Key would have strippers on Saturday nights.

Saw a girl get a quarter into the grouper’s mouth over Capt Tony’s on Friday night. Turtle Kraals was our HQ for many years. It is being remodeled and will be given a new corporate name followed by “At Turtle Kraals”. Sad. Across from that is the Half Shell raw bar. Great spot. Schooner Wharf Bar always has decent live music. Heard an amazing version of the Dead’s “Deal” last night that closed out a great night. Good times. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I have no problems with Bernie's dress. Why does it matter? A million years ago when I was teaching in what was likely the toughest school in Canada we had a moronic principal who insisted we wear ties, which of course would provide a convenient handle in an altercation. It was something about the dignity of the profession and the way we would inspire the kids. We ended up with clip-on ties for safety sake. Not sure how dignified we were. Clothing norms have and are changing as they should be.

Ever hear the expression "Dumbing down"?

It's ironic that I, who rarely wears anything but jeans & T-Shirts should be the one who thinks extremely formal occasions demand formal clothing.

Bernie looked more at one with the insurrectionists than with the group on the dais.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Saw a girl get a quarter into the grouper’s mouth over Capt Tony’s on Friday night. Turtle Kraals was our HQ for many years. It is being remodeled and will be given a new corporate name followed by “At Turtle Kraals”. Sad. Across from that is the Half Shell raw bar. Great spot. Schooner Wharf Bar always has decent live music. Heard an amazing version of the Dead’s “Deal” last night that closed out a great night. Good times. 

I gotta call Sol....  lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Malcolm X was a bit paranoid but he was intelligent and insightful. Definitely worth reading.

And this particular quote is spot-on

- DSK

He wasn't paranoid, they were out to get him...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2021 at 2:02 PM, SloopJonB said:

Sorry, just no class.

Even Trump wore a (ill fitting) suit, not golf clothes to his inauguration.

Class!? Remember that Trump was supposed to return class to the White House. How'd that work out?

 Bernie has more class in a pimple on his ass than Trump has in his entire family tree.

 Bernie's smart. He dressed for the weather.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

I'm a little surprised he didn't proclaim himself the Alternative President and hold an Alternative Inauguration.

- DSK

Only a matter of time, with the rate that Joe’s undoing all Donnie’s bullshit when is Donny gonna say that’s it, enough is enough!

Surely he still got a base that will go to his rally’s and like getting infected....right?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Seal_of_the_Vice_President_of_the_United

EsnVlvjXYAA0Szv?format=jpg&name=large

 

A curious similarity. I wonder if he's going to start giving out Alternative Medals of Freedom. 

If you pay the right amount....sure.

Just because he’s an ex president doesn’t mean he can’t give out medals right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

If you pay the right amount....sure.

Just because he’s an ex president doesn’t mean he can’t give out medals right?

No problem, just visit FormerPresidentGiftShop.com and register your American Express gold card and both sides of your driver's license. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Seal_of_the_Vice_President_of_the_United

EsnVlvjXYAA0Szv?format=jpg&name=large

 

A curious similarity. I wonder if he's going to start giving out Alternative Medals of Freedom. 

Kinda like the Space Force and Star Trek logos.

And, Melania lifting Michelle's speech.

He is incapable of originality.

Same with his wife.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the DJT logo I see the outline of a Star of David.  Oy vey.  He's a mensch?

I sure hope that the 'office of the former president' sets up a 'merch' tab on its website.  I would love to buy some (made in China) "Trump 2024" hats.  What?  Only $25 each?  I'll take two.  Sure is great to support DJT and a great place to send my money.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bugsy said:

On the DJT logo I see the outline of a Star of David.  Oy vey.  He's a mensch?

I sure hope that the 'office of the former president' sets up a 'merch' tab on its website.  I would love to buy some (made in China) "Trump 2024" hats.  What?  Only $25 each?  I'll take two.  Sure is great to support DJT and a great place to send my money.  

He's a mensch?

 Mom would say Trump's a mamzer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hobie1616 said:
50 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Ivana was pretty hot, back in the day.

 

In an interstate rest stop kinda way.

Ever meet Ivana in person? The photos don't do her justice, plus she seems genuinely nice... might just be hi-dollar finishing school, I dunno. My wife talked to her more than I did, she was the honorary chairperson of some charity regatta we went to back in the early 1990s. IMHO she could have done better for herself than Donald. But I admit first and brief impressions can be deceiving.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2021 at 12:35 AM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I don't go to funerals. Waste of time. The main person it's about is dead. 

Ol Pappy Sol had the same policy. Only memorial I ever saw him attend was his own and he was in a fucking cardboard box (we don't have Ralphs in FL) about ready for a ride out to the Gulf Stream. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 9:35 PM, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

I don't go to funerals. Waste of time. The main person it's about is dead. 

You don't go for the dead person.  You go for the survivors.

My mother's best friend died, and I decided not to fly back home for the funeral, since I didn't know her that well.  It was a decision I regret it to this day.  It was over 30 years ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, benwynn said:

You don't go for the dead person.  You go for the survivors.

My mother's best friend died, and I decided not to fly back home for the funeral, since I didn't know her that well.  It was a decision I regret it to this day.  It was over 30 years ago. 

Grief is a personal thing and circumstances matter. One of my sailing mentors and honorary fathers died and I did not go to the memorial service for him that his family put together. I also did not visit him in the embarrassment he clearly felt when he was losing his mind and control of his body in the last two years of his life. Before he got to that point, I answered all his calls and invites to join him to go to jazz shows at his jazz club of which is a member for 40 years in Santa Cruz when he felt up to it and the show was worth it. He could not drive and his bitch wife would not take him not that he really wanted to listen to her bitch about the tight venue and marginal chairs etc. So, in the last couple years he could not drive I would pick him up and we would have dinner at a local restaurant and then walk to the show. He would have a rare beer with dinner and another at the club. He could not walk very well and needed a little guiding. The floor manager of the club always took me aside and gave me praise and encouragement because he knew my friend could no longer navigate the venue without help and he was a loved longtime member and they liked to see him. We always had nice conversations about the jazz and his life and family. His last years at home were not pleasant with his wife and his kids did not interrupt their lives at all to make time to see him. I had my time with him from the time I was 17 until he died when I was 57. Most if it sailing and racing or at jazz shows or when I took his philosophy classes in college. We also played music together. My relationship was with him not with his family. He made it clear that if we could not do the things we did for 40 years that there was no reason for us to spend time. I still have a solid walnut dresser he used for most of his life which gave me, not one of his sons. I think about him every time I use it.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris in Santa Cruz, CA said:

Grief is a personal thing and circumstances matter. One of my sailing mentors and honorary fathers died and I did not go to the memorial service for him that his family put together. I also did not visit him in the embarrassment he clearly felt when he was losing his mind and control of his body in the last two years of his life. Before he got to that point, I answered all his calls and invites to join him to go to jazz shows at his jazz club of which is a member for 40 years in Santa Cruz when he felt up to it and the show was worth it. He could not drive and his bitch wife would not take him not that he really wanted to listen to her bitch about the tight venue and marginal chairs etc. So, in the last couple years he could not drive I would pick him up and we would have dinner at a local restaurant and then walk to the show. He would have a rare beer with dinner and another at the club. He could not walk very well and needed a little guiding. The floor manager of the club always took me aside and gave me praise and encouragement because he knew my friend could no longer navigate the venue without help and he was a loved longtime member and they liked to see him. We always had nice conversations about the jazz and his life and family. His last years at home were not pleasant with his wife and his kids did not interrupt their lives at all to make time to see him. I had my time with him from the time I was 17 until he died when I was 57. Most if it sailing and racing or at jazz shows or when I took his philosophy classes in college. We also played music together. My relationship was with him not with his family. He made it clear that if we could not do the things we did for 40 years that there was no reason for us to spend time. I still have a solid walnut dresser he used for most of his life which gave me, not one of his sons. I think about him every time I use it.

I get it.  Thanks for sharing this. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, saxdog said:

He's a mensch?

 Mom would say Trump's a mamzer.

A Putz

A schlub

A gonnif

A schmuck

A yutz

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

McTaliban, just what the world has been waiting for.

 

Dear USAnians, get a fucking grip, will you?!

52 years ago your nation landed on the moon, and now everything is about conspiracy fairies and unicorns?

Are you fucking kidding us?!

Stop it! It's not fucking funny!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grog said:

McTaliban, just what the world has been waiting for.

 

Dear USAnians, get a fucking grip, will you?!

52 years ago your nation landed on the moon, and now everything is about conspiracy fairies and unicorns?

Are you fucking kidding us?!

Stop it! It's not fucking funny!

 

The moon landing was a dupe stite fike. 
 

try the veal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Image may contain: text

There is a member of the North Carolina legislature who has held his seat, from a thinly populated rural county, for about 25 years now. He's introduced a bill to make the Bible into "supreme NC law" every session. He was a Democrat earlier in his political life but entered the legislature as a Republican. It's unlikely he will lose an election for this seat.

- DSK

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

There is a member of the North Carolina legislature who has held his seat, from a thinly populated rural county, for about 25 years now. He's introduced a bill to make the Bible into "supreme NC law" every session. He was a Democrat earlier in his political life but entered the legislature as a Republican. It's unlikely he will lose an election for this seat.

- DSK

I'd love to see them arguing how many angels on the head of a pin, etc. He apparently hasn't read it enough to realize it is internally totally inconsistent. Of course, that has never stopped the religious whack jobs before. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

The moon landing was a dupe stite fike. 
 

try the veal

No, it was not.

It was the result of courage, commitment and determination, backed by science, maths and that "Sir, this is impossible! - I know, let's do it." attitude.

It was what inspired the whole world for decades and even made us buy KISS records and McDonald's cheeseburgers (You still owe us for those though!).

It was what made the USA great.

 

That's a lot to live up to after that failing NYC small time grifter.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Grog said:

No, it was not.

It was the result of courage, commitment and determination, backed by science, maths and that "Sir, this is impossible! - I know, let's do it." attitude.

It was what inspired the whole world for decades and even made us buy KISS records and McDonald's cheeseburgers (You still owe us for those though!).

It was what made the USA great.

 

That's a lot to live up to after that failing NYC small time grifter.

 

Try the veal is roughly the equivalent of purple font. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I'd love to see them arguing how many angels on the head of a pin, etc. He apparently hasn't read it enough to realize it is internally totally inconsistent. Of course, that has never stopped the religious whack jobs before. 

I am of the opinion that the inconsistencies are by design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

To let the initiated know it is a heaping pile of goat dung?

To enable the people that use it to wield power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grog said:

It was the result of courage, commitment and determination, backed by science, maths and that "Sir, this is impossible! - I know, let's do it." attitude.

Grog has this right.  The USA used to lead the world in just about everything.  

We worried about media manipulation, covert wars and how society was being misled.  Remember "Manufacturing Consent"?   

Now you have The Muppets storming your capitol.  It is a fall from grace.   The USA still leads the world in many, many things but not like before.   Certainly not as a shining example of democracy or a demonstration of the benefits of a well educated populace.   

C'mon USA.  Pull it together.  You can do it.  

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

Grog has this right.  The USA used to lead the world in just about everything.  

We worried about media manipulation, covert wars and how society was being misled.  Remember "Manufacturing Consent"?   

Now you have The Muppets storming your capitol.  It is a fall from grace.   The USA still leads the world in many, many things but not like before.   Certainly not as a shining example of democracy or a demonstration of the benefits of a well educated populace.   

C'mon USA.  Pull it together.  You can do it.  

The Best Americans are doing just fine, as long as the masses storm the gates of the Capitol and not their ivory towers. Expect them to continue dividing the masses by using their media to keep half of the unwashed hating the other. Even if they stopped now, 30 years of bullshitter media and an alternate reality is not going to go away anytime soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bugsy said:

Grog has this right.  The USA used to lead the world in just about everything.  

We worried about media manipulation, covert wars and how society was being misled.  Remember "Manufacturing Consent"?   

Now you have The Muppets storming your capitol.  It is a fall from grace.   The USA still leads the world in many, many things but not like before.   Certainly not as a shining example of democracy or a demonstration of the benefits of a well educated populace.   

C'mon USA.  Pull it together.  You can do it.  

^ This.

Except the Capitol was stormed by Duck Dynasty, not the Muppets.

Kermit, Miss Piggy and Bert & Ernie are all a fuck of a lot smarter than those Trumpers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

On a similar note, it's amazing how many important battles seem to take place in national parks.

- DSK

"Often there is no more than a little plaque to reveal that, against all gynecological probability, someone very famous was born halfway up a wall.”
Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites