Sydney To Hobart 2018

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story. Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put though

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start.  Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the wat

I have received dozen emails/private messages about my tracker for this year. I have updated to new Windy version and I hope it will work on boxing day https://gis.ee/sh/

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, inebriated said:

looking like comanche is parking up, she's at 6.6 and oats is nearly at 10

here we go

What a shocker. After mediocre performance all day, WOXI gets one lane and the village idiot comes roaring back to life. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

You sound like you take MR's cock hard in the arse. Do you enjoy it?

Looks like we have a new plaything. So did you come up with that brilliant response all by yourself? 

45 minutes ago, Maw said:

Working on it JS.

It's all possible, and I remember many moons ago mountingf a S2H Tracker on our boat that was interfaced to the instrument system - long pre YellowBrick.  But that was a major level of added cost and complexity.  Perhaps these days wireless NMEA makes it more feasible.  YB Trackers are self-contained and simply report GPS data - COG, SOG and Position

1 minute ago, DickDastardly said:

It's all possible, and I remember many moons ago mountingf a S2H Tracker on our boat that was interfaced to the instrument system - long pre YellowBrick.  But that's a major level of complexity.  YB Trackers are self-contained and simply report GPS data - COG, SOG and Position

Surely apparent wind speed and direction wouldn't be that much of a stretch?

1 minute ago, paps49 said:

Much more expensive and complicated. A tracker is less than $100 and basically no installation needed.

2 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

It's all possible, and I remember many moons ago mountingf a S2H Tracker on our boat that was interfaced to the instrument system - long pre YellowBrick.  But that's a major level of complexity.  YB Trackers are self-contained and simply report GPS data - COG, SOG and Position

Yep, it's a series of small steps. Monitoring the complexity required to guarantee the quality doesn't exceed the ROI....

Image result for gill windmaster 3d ultrasound

• Like 1
1 minute ago, paps49 said:

It's not the variables that are the issue, it's the data connection.  No wind variables are possible without the tracker being interfaced to the instrument system.   And of course all boat instrument systems are different and so coming up with a universal solution at a workable price is a serious technical challenge.

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

While waiting the big boys to negotiate the glue, here is a Quiz. What is this guy doing?

IMG_20181227_140749.jpg

Berrimilla in the background.  A boat with a serious history. Including one memorable trip to Lord Howe where I was handed a guinness each time I came on for the morning watch.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Berrimilla in the background.  A boat with a serious history. Including one memorable trip to Lord Howe where I was handed a guinness each time I came on fo rthe morning watch.  

Only way to go to the Island.

Is he sighting the placement of the floating dock that, apparently is larger than the Opera house but not as aesthetically pleasing?

20 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

It's not the variables that are the issue, it's the data connection.  No wind variables are possible without the tracker being interfaced to the instrument system.   And of course all boat instrument systems are different and so coming up with a universal solution at a workable price is a serious technical challenge.

It is very doable. Existing instrument system data log is exported via interface in real time via satellite to Tracker server. Decoded and wacked in a dashboard on the tracker. Could show anything incl individual load cells if you wanted.

You could do away with tracker transmitter and have instant positional updates tack by tack. Get Stan Honey to knock up 3D imagery with laylines. 

The big issue is other competitors accessing it but something could be worked out.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

It is very doable. Existing instrument system data log is exported via interface in real time via satellite to Tracker server. Decoded and wacked in a dashboard on the tracker. Could show anything incl individual load cells if you wanted.

The big issue is other competitors accessing it but something could be worked out.

Sure. Easy Peasy. Just 10x money and time. And the boats probably don't want it. You go!

For the speculators, it seems Whitty will live to fight another day.

From Team Owner and Group Executive Chairman of Sun Hung Kai & Co, "It is very disappointing, after all the hours of preparation and boatwork put in by the team over the past few months... The Scallywag 100' showed immense potential at the start and managed to hold a very favourable position on the course - even with a borrowed A3 sail from the very generous InfoTrack Super Maxi team.

However, the structural failure of the bowsprit could not have been foreseen, and with over 500nm downwind to go, and no effective way to deploy our downwind sails, the decision was to retire and not take unnecessary risks with the boat and the crew. We are glad all the crew are safe and the rest of the 100' remains undamaged, and we had an uneventful return to port."

Thank you, everyone -- friends, family, sponsors and fans -- for your concern and words of support overnight. As you know, the Scallywags endure, adapt and will excel, and we never give up! The Scallywags will be back after our Caribbean and European campaigns in 2019, so stay tuned!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Ultrasonic?

Indeedy. The 3d bit to iron out the environmental vagaries, as the intended platforms oscillate due to sea state. The challenge is to remove the platform from the data to guarantee the data is real world and consistently accurate. The output doesn't have to output in "Real time" , ie: a few hundred ms, or even seconds, delay is not a killer.   

32 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

One of these on the stern will give basic apparent. At least give some idea whats going on.

https://www.instrumentchoice.com.au/Applications/Transport/work-health-safety/Anemometers/vortex-quot-flexwire-quot-portable-anemometer?keyword_k=?device_d=c?campaign_c=1466279182&gclid=Cj0KCQiA6ozhBRC8ARIsAIh_VC3eNXaL0rJL4aFr8se0-6an1JjX0P0vYygT-_DjvFkQ9pZDfM04TcwaAsRsEALw_wcB

26 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

Windy Tracker calling a big hole in the Derwent when the Maxis get there

I hope the race is not decided there. It's like roulette. Seen it so many times. If Comanche lose in the Derwent again, notwithstanding protest success last year, it would be tragic

• Like 1
3 hours ago, us7070 said:

that rhumb line has no actual significance to them anymore...

My feeling has always been that you are always on the rhumb line, you to the finish and do it as quickly s possible.  The original rhumb line is nothing but a reference and only represents the shortest course.

8 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

Ah, I guessing that was the idea. You could probably get angle of heel and sea state for free. Linky?

Hi Francis, 

Linky for the anemometer http://www.gillinstruments.com/products/anemometer/windmaster-range.html

Edit: DD mentioned the interfacing from data source to uplink, and that is a challenge. The 32hz sample rate of the anemometer is a lot higher than normal instruments, so you need to use and keep the bulk of the data locally, and data mine only the information needed to uplink.

The lots of data stored locally on the unit can be used post for a more detailed image of the overall,  post race analysis.

Privateer's position glued to the arse of the 50'+s and the 60'+ is worth a watch. She is currently best placed in that group on IRC and holds IRC 0 #1 spot over Alive.  If this 50/60+  grouping get a lucky break down the track, it may well be either the first or last one in this pack who comes out on top, being currently Alive or Privateer.

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

Privateer's position glued to the arse of the 50'+s and the 60'+ is worth a watch. She is currently best placed in that group on IRC and holds IRC 0 #1 spot over Alive.  If this 50/60+  grouping get a lucky break down the track, it may well be either the first or last one in this pack who comes out on top, being currently Alive or Privateer.

Yeah she is playing it smart. She has done well to stay close enough to Ichi Ban. 

5 minutes ago, Curious said:

I'm not up on the latest performance comparisons, but isn't Infotrac doing damn well considering the conditions? Fast running or light stuff, she's still up there.

That's a very good point. I like many are probably starting to think the Indian has found some secret pudding. But InfoTracks performance seems to indicate that what has saved both their arses is the multitude of angles they have had to squeeze in which has negated WOXI and BJ's straight line advantage in this lighter stuff. 

This has to keep going of course because of it settles into a drag race from here the fat boats are probably going to find it tough, unless their weather groove shows up.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

What puts her into IRC 0 ? The number of pro's onboard?

Near the top mark out of Sydney, WOXI hit a hole and the helmsman screamed header.  Does he know the difference between a header and a velocity knock cause it sure didn't look like it.  Is that the best a program of that magnitude can do to steer a boat out of the harbor?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Near the top mark out of Sydney, WOXI hit a hole and the helmsman screamed header.  Does he know the difference between a header and a velocity knock cause it sure didn't look like it.  Is that the best a program of that magnitude can do to steer a boat out of the harbor?

It just sounds so gay when you scream "velocity knock, velocity knock!!" No self respecting Aussie would ever do such a thing!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, paps49 said:

It just sounds so gay when you scream "velocity knock, velocity knock!!" No self respecting Aussie would ever do such a thing!

Agreed, but you look like a real dick when you chase it down 40 degrees.  So much for self-respecting sailors.  

• Like 2

Patrice has had a lovely few hours here. Really broke free of one of her closest rivals, the Rogers 46 'Smuggler' while also closing down on the top group of the '50s. 

Incredible race from top to bottom. 

2 minutes ago, ASP said:

Patrice has had a lovely few hours here. Really broke free of one of her closest rivals, the Rogers 46 'Smuggler' while also closing down on the top group of the '50s. 

Incredible race from top to bottom. 

they've done more than close down some of the 50's -  they're showing up the much fancied Teasing Machine among others. 

1 minute ago, Hold Fast said:

they've done more than close down some of the 50's -  they're showing up the much fancied Teasing Machine among others. 

Notice that I said: "the TOP group of '50s" 

2 minutes ago, ASP said:

Notice that I said: "the TOP group of '50s" 

if you mean itchy, they're on top of them on corrected. 

on current IRC, Patrice is doing so damn well that as a div 2 boat, they're 3rd overall, same time ahead of the current leading div 1 boat (Rags) on LH & IRC and under 20nm from the current leading div 0 boat (Privateer).

they're killing it

18 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Comanche has her mojo back and is slowly putting time on the other three. They certainly seem to have slain one of their demons.

Yep and she and WOXI have nearly identical COG's. They appear to be now in a 10k range from the NE. For tonight's tour down the Tassie coast it should strengthen a bit shortly, then maybe even close to 20k in the middle patch and first move N then move back to NE for Tasman approach. From what we have seen so far that won't be troubling the Indian. Then maybe a restart in Storm Bay?

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

She and WOXI have nearly identical COG's. They appear to be now in a 10k range from the NE. For tonight's tour down the Tassie coast it should strengthen a bit maybe even close to 20k in the middle patch and first move N then move back to NE for Tasman approach. From what we have seen so far that won't be troubling the Indian. Then maybe a restart in Storm Bay?

Indeed, they seem to be able to hold their own much further than previously.

56 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I’m guessing her power winches don’t hurt on this super long downwind....

4 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Nothing like introducing yourself with a bit of smack talk, saves time getting to know you.

Well if you are a misogynist c##t, ilike Dick Witt it's nice to meet you too... but  please don't sail with me, women are welcome on my boat.