Sydney To Hobart 2018

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story. Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put though

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start.  Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the wat

I have received dozen emails/private messages about my tracker for this year. I have updated to new Windy version and I hope it will work on boxing day https://gis.ee/sh/

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AND999 said:

Triton heading north at 2kts... 

image.png.5c110e363729a7d63b9536660300dc64.png

foul current?

Once had a compass saying we were headed south as the GPS said we were headed north at 2 am.

Put a flashlight on the water and spied a lobster pot. We were going backwards due to strong current even though we had enough zepher to keep the boat pointed in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

foul current?

Once had a compass saying we were headed south as the GPS said we were headed north at 2 am.

Put a flashlight on the water and spied a lobster pot. We were going backwards due to strong current even though we had enough zepher to keep the boat pointed in the right direction.

Good point, there are a few others to the east doing the same at the moment... looks very sticky around Frantic, teasing Machine etc

but C only put .1 mile on all 3 in 10 minutes even though going 15 knts faster.

And WOXI is sailing almost rhumb line now. 

Sooner or later C is going to have to gybe...

Was that a bit of a windshift to the west in the last twenty mins??  Its so bloody hard to tell ... and so bloody late to be staying up trying to follow it!!

The next couple of hours will be nailbiting!!!

1 minute ago, us7070 said:

radar shows that rain/squall activity moved over the boats maybe 30 min ago.., and there is more coming in a while.., so the boats are probably experiencing pretty variable conditions

Makes sense. 

Currently 15 - 20kts from the North abeam the 100's at Maria Is and 5-10kts at the corner/Flinders Is from the North West. The southerly change looks to be running a bit late which may explain why the close down up north was slow coming and letting the leading 50's through.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ASP said:

Can someone explain to me how a J122 is the second slowest rated boat in Div 3? IRC racing at its finest. 

There is another J/122 rated slower in Div 4, but not sure your point. Too slow, too fast, or wrong division?

1 hour ago, us7070 said:

radar shows that rain/squall activity moved over the boats maybe 30 min ago.., and there is more coming in a while.., so the boats are probably experiencing pretty variable conditions

Sounds right. Though it boggles the mind a little bit that Comanche can ramp up to 35kts in a thundersquall after sitting and drifting slowly. That's gotta be a hell of a wake up for everyone onboard. 

not stunning...

waterline

1 minute ago, vtsail said:

Comanche down to 3 knots...

catching crap on appendages? or just that sticky in lighter air?

man that corner is gonna turn into a parking lot LOL

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:

man that corner is gonna turn into a parking lot LOL

Yep looking like a restart.  WOXI is going to run into the same air soon and slow down but has a better angle.  Going to come down to who gets the new breeze fist.

4 minutes ago, BDPhoto519 said:

I enjoy seeing this thread explode with comments every time WOIX starts to show a glimpse of advantage, then go back to the silence of the same few commentators once the Indian starts charging again.

GO THE FUCKEN' GUN RUNNER...

2114980895_GunRunner.1..thumb.PNG.59210a05b46936495b531902836dd079.PNG

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BDPhoto519 said:

I enjoy seeing this thread explode with comments every time WOIX starts to show a glimpse of advantage, then go back to the silence of the same few commentators once the Indian starts charging again.

That boat isn't racing!!!!!

16 minutes ago, JL92S said:

Has the tracker shat itself for anyone else?

All working here.

More worried LH is looking a bit anti-climatic at the moment with WOXI getting a jump on the others. Maybe BJ can catch up.

A 5 hour Derwent park up would at least allow some sleep before work...

8 minutes ago, us7070 said:

comanche having a hell of a time - SOG 3-4kts mosty over last several updates, with woxi at 10, and almost 5 miles ahead

makes me wonder if there is a problem...

Blackjack ahead of them too

Was wondering about that too.

12 minutes ago, us7070 said:

comanche having a hell of a time - SOG 3-4kts mosty over last several updates, with woxi at 10, and almost 5 miles ahead

makes me wonder if there is a problem...

Blackjack ahead of them too

Yeah, it's a huge problem called a giant ass to drag through the ocean.

6 minutes ago, us7070 said:

tasman island showing southerly 8-11kts.., they should be faster than 3kts in that...

probably they just found a hole w no wind

She's not known for light air performance at any angle.

5 hours ago, bayboy said:

Many at Customs tonight or bit quite?

She was pretty quiet... almost dead,  it'll be different tonight! I'm on a media boat now,  just waiting for the media to show up so we can go for a look!

7 hours ago, LionessRacing said:

You estimating that as the all up annual cost, prorated for the number of races,  or just the race pre-start to finish, including crew wages, benefits, travel, gear and lodging

Oats’s annual budget was discussed at a talk as being about $3-4m a year

3 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Just looked at the tracker. It’s not a good morning for all you WOXI haters. Suck shit you ball garglers. 

i think comanche screwed up the approach - their line in was further N.., and it looks like they sailed into a light patch close to tasman island.

maybe the southerly was lifting up over the bluffs or something... but it took them a while to get going again...

probably should have bitten the bullet and taken the hit to get a bit S earlier than they did - would have cost less