Sydney To Hobart 2018

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story. Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put though

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start.  Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the wat

I have received dozen emails/private messages about my tracker for this year. I have updated to new Windy version and I hope it will work on boxing day https://gis.ee/sh/

Posted Images

Just now, despacio avenue said:

It is unfortunate that there is no coverage of the Comanche/Black Jack battle. I see helicopters flying around; aren't they taking video?

Abc have a chopper in the air. We may get a look in a few minutes 

Sad to see what Comanche has been reduced to. Shes only 4 years old. Before she came to Australia she was the fastest, most powerful sail boat in the world. She was dominant, she was beating all other boats she raced against and was breaking records everywhere she went. Now she's struggling to hold onto boats 10+ years her senior. She needs to go back to doing what she does best, big breeze racing, breaking records, Trans Atlantic races, not Sydney Hobarts.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Sad to see what Comanche has been reduced to. Shes only 4 years old. Before she came to Australia she was the fastest, most powerful sail boat in the world. She was dominant, she was beating all other boats she raced against and was breaking records everywhere she went. Now she's struggling to hold onto boats 10+ years her senior. She needs to go back to doing what she does best, big breeze racing, breaking records, Trans Atlantic races, not Sydney Hobarts.

She never faced any other supermaxis before coming to Australia. And I believe has only  beat Infotrack boat for boat in the S-H.

3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Still is arguably the fastest and most powerful boat in the world.... in some conditions, just not an all rounder. Commanche had the highest speeds when the wind was up.

Comint to Australia didn’t change that.

12 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Get a fucking clue.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

What records are left can she conceivably break? She was always a rather extreme design that made her dominant in the right conditions, but plagued with a bunch of compromises. She can win line honors in races like Fastnet and Sydney Hobart if the conditions are right - but in races like Middle Sea, she's not balanced enough of a boat.

7 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Well Done to Oats no doubt on this win, proves at 14 years of age and a few mod's she has still got it to win, and good call by BJ to come up Eastern side to get the wind over Comanche.

More like a testimony to grandfathered tungsten bulbs and motorsailers...

1 minute ago, Bill E Goat said:

Black Jack highlighting WOXI didnt have their AIS turned on, not protesting but just saying

Special Regulation 4.09 (a): An AIS Transponder shall be carried and be switched on, such that it is receiving and transmitting.

Rulz is Rulz.

One hour penalty coming up!

24 minutes ago, bayboy said:

Well Done to Oats no doubt on this win, proves at 14 years of age and a few mod's she has still got it to win, and good call by BJ to come up Eastern side to get the wind over Comanche.

Full credit to them - great decisive victory in another gentle year.

But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rohanoz said:

Full credit to them - great decisive victory in another gentle year.

But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

Like an old broad with access to a plastic surgeon.  Congrats to them on a great race.  

37 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Back to regular programming...Alive and Wild oats X 1&2 overall, how accurate is windy? What is the local outlook?

WIndy looks to be on the light side ATM. Currently showing 2 knots in Norfolk bay, I reckon it is 5+ knots.

Local forecast: http://www.bom.gov.au/places/tas/hobart/forecast/detailed/

SE Breeze should build in the Derwent until late afternoon.

Go the girls!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, overlay said:

Jee sus, we have been through this before with the HF not working  before passing Green Cape dramas.

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

With 10 min updates for the tracker, what possible advantage did they gain?  They sailed a great race and fuck silly protests.

17 minutes ago, Rohanoz said:

......But to say it is a 14year old boat is a stretch...  New bow, new stern, new rig(s), new appendages - I think the only bits remaining from the original boat are the keel and the crew.  (And other than the yearly questionable blowups leaving the harbour, the crew are a big key to this puzzle I'd say)

Agree, but the really significant change for me was moving the rig back in the boat by cutting off some of the stern and putting it back on the bow. Much bigger foretriangle and less pitching and nosediving.

1 minute ago, Sidecar said:

Agree, but the really significant change for me was moving the rig back in the boat by cutting off some of the stern and putting it back on the bow. Much bigger foretriangle and less pitching and nosediving.

It is quite noticeable between oats and BJ positioning of the rig

18 minutes ago, Sidecar said:

Go the girls!

The biggest delta between these two has been around 5 mile. Great race and a good match up of superstar girls versus a bunch of relative unknowns (except Wouter) but who know their boat backwards. They both are going to need breeze though to keep Ichi off the top shelf.

23 minutes ago, overlay said:

Jee sus, we have been through this before with the HF not working  before passing Green Cape dramas.

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

I detest people on this forum that know nothing about sailing, the race and the boats, and you are one of the worst.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, bayboy said:

The only thing 14 years old is probably the nameplate.

Otherwise it is a great boat for most years in the S2H race but what has she proven otherwise?

32 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Who says it wasn't on?  May not have been functional but shit breaks every day.  

On the the way to the start line?

30 minutes ago, overlay said:

The precedents been set.

FLICK THE CHEAT.

You can always lodge a 69 Protest with WS and RC concurrently against the RC's decision not to enforce their SI's and bringing sport into disrepute. Though you might need to think about life in Witness Protection.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The biggest delta between these two has been around 5 mile. Great race and a good match up of superstar girls versus a bunch of relative unknowns (except Wouter) but who know their boat backwards. They both are going to need breeze though to keep Ichi off the top shelf.

I would expect the boats behind Alive and WOX to have the better breeze this afternoon if they get to the Derwent in time.

Still, Go the girls! A podium for them will do a lot for offshore sailing overall......

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

With 10 min updates for the tracker, what possible advantage did they gain?  They sailed a great race and fuck silly protests.

nobody is going to protest them..., and i think we can all agree it would be a dick move to do so.

but why don't they just make it easy on everyone and follow the rules?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, us7070 said:

nobody is going to protest them..., and i think we can all agree it would be a dick move to do so.

but why don't they just make it easy on everyone and follow the rules?

It would be a better look for sure.

• Like 1

Each of the super Maxis were in a position to win at different times during the race. Tactics and positioning won the race and WO XI  are masters at this race.  I wouldn’t write off any of the boats especially Comanche. The way she power reached to the lead after the first turning mark at the heads was impressive to me.  I was happy to see that because my 18’er has a relatively fat rear also.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think the four of them blitzed it, particularly IF and the Indian during the lighter and square shit down the coast.

Agreed Jack, they are both more dangerous all round boats than they were.

Quote from the paper re M3's dismasting.

"M3 Team Hungary's sailing master Bret Perry said the incident happened in 25 knots around sunset the first night of the race. Perry said a spinnaker was being trimmed and got an override on the winch which locked the sheet on. In a gust, the boat suffered a knockdown with the mast laid over and on the water. The spinnaker filled with water, the boat came up, went over again and the mast snapped" 

3 minutes ago, Kermit said:

AIS should be on, it's a safety feature.

also, given the closeness of the racing in this race.., if one boat can jibe away with the other boats not knowing about it for 10min.., but no one else has that ability.., that's an advantage...

like i said above  - it would be dick move to protest and no one will.., but it's also not that cool to be putting your competitors in a situation where they have to sit around and debate whether a particular infraction deserves a protest. this one is pretty obvious.., and the debate wouldn't have been a long one.., but why screw around? just follow the rules - probably 99% of the boats managed it...

• Like 1