Sydney To Hobart 2018

53 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Like the S2H compares to a AC pond race lasting the time it takes to eat lunch?

Like for example the Transatlantic compares to a S2H pond race lasting the time it takes to digest lunch?

It (the record) is actually currently held by a boat actually quite similar to ones that raced on S2H, and yes using only manual powered winches and hydraulics. The same boat might even have a chance on S2H, who knows. Btw it took a little longer than this couple hundred mile sprint, over five and half days in fact.

Here, no diesel fumes in sight:

IMG_3630.jpg

And the guys farting methane (is it many more than normal S2H?):

IMG_36741.jpg

Clearly a race about one fifth the distance should be doable, yes? Even with some extra tacking and gybing...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story. Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put though

I was on shore for my live interview show, and then live with the ABC Grandstand radio for the start.  Channel 7 has full rights to all live vision - so there was really no point going on the wat

I have received dozen emails/private messages about my tracker for this year. I have updated to new Windy version and I hope it will work on boxing day https://gis.ee/sh/

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, noaano said:

Like for example the Transatlantic compares to a S2H pond race lasting the time it takes to digest lunch?

It (the record) is actually currently held by a boat actually quite similar to ones that raced on S2H, and yes using only manual powered winches and hydraulics. The same boat might even have a chance on S2H, who knows. Btw it took a little longer than this couple hundred mile sprint, over five and half days in fact.

Here, no diesel fumes in sight:

IMG_3630.jpg

And the guys farting methane (is it many more than normal S2H?):

IMG_36741.jpg

Clearly a race about one fifth the distance should be doable, yes? Even with some extra tacking and gybing...

Oh dear, I don’t think this is going to end well. :P

Mr Sparrow to the white courtesy phone please? :lol:

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/boat/42_The-Engine.html

The Engine

We know what you’re thinking – if this is a sailboat race, then why do the boats need an engine? 

m101345_crop169014_1024x576_proportional © Amalia Infante / Volvo Ocean Race

Well, although the boats don’t use the engines in racing (it’s prohibited), they are an essential part of life on board – and they need to be pretty sturdy, able to withstand extreme speeds and violent motions more often associated with military aircrafts than sailboats.

The 2017-18 edition is the sixth race with Volvo Penta as official engine supplier, and in the Volvo Penta D2-75 with S-drive, each teams goes to sea knowing that their Volvo Ocean 65 is equipped with the best in the business.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wrong. Their diesel engine ran 24/7 to drive keel and other hydraulics. Winches only are manual. Your next desktop idea is what??

Well I was obviously not onboard. All news I read state:

The boat is sailing with only 17 crew and with all manual powered winches and hydraulics for this record attempt

I really don't know. Please enlighten us, good to learn new things every day.

Whatever their config was, does not make it impossible to sail a 100 footer fully in manual mode. More work for sure, but more work means more room for heroism/mistakes and better racing I thinks.

And you're right, I have never sailed one so this is just my speculation. Closest was a 85ft ancient old Maxi, and that certainly was fully manual and a joy to sail.

8 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

As I said

Don't keep us in suspense, link us to a source stating so and give us a few minutes of interesting reading!

I really don't have any more information than the quite many news pieces stating otherwise.

6 minutes ago, noaano said:

Don't keep us in suspense, link us to a source stating so and give us a few minutes of interesting reading!

I really don't have any more information than the quite many news pieces stating otherwise.

Scroll up ^^^^^

there’s a pretty picture and a link for you.  Or you could trying using google you moron. 

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/196687-sydney-to-hobart-2018/&page=34&tab=comments#comment-6453780

6 minutes ago, mad said:

there’s a pretty picture and a link for you.  Or you could trying using google you moron. 

Pardon my ignorance/moron-nes, but what does a car site have to do with transatlantic record being discussed?

And in VOR they did not run their engines 24/7, they in fact only used them to charge the batteries every once in a while. This I learned from Google.

Mastervolt_Li_Ion_VOR65_discharge_charge

And I don't even know why this is relevant at all, as VOR boats are not even close to 100 footers in question.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mate I could only find a black one...will that work??

Mads Phone.jpeg

Nice one Jack, my back is fucked and I’ve just coughed and spat red wine all over the place. Fucker!! 

:P

8 hours ago, mad said:

Maybe this will take the edge off the line honours side of it and people will start to follow the real race again. 

Absolutely. Unfortunately, that’s what yahoos like Hoppy can’t understand. The real race (handicap overall) is nonsense til well into the race. Too much changes for the overall to mean anything that early. The line honor race is easy to follow and makes for good entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less. 

17 minutes ago, Ozee Adventure said:

Wild Oats X (aka Ocean Respect) beat Wild Oats XI on corrected time. Fantastic job. 

Link for you. 

http://www.rolexsydneyhobart.com/standings/ms/?raceId=113&categoryId=506

Crew swap next year maybe? ;)

Edit to add 

Theres hardly anything in the quick google search I used, everything points to line honours. 

Maybe Randoms theory is correct?? Fuck! The rapture may be upon on us. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, noaano said:

Pardon my ignorance/moron-nes, but what does a car site have to do with transatlantic record being discussed?

And in VOR they did not run their engines 24/7, they in fact only used them to charge the batteries every once in a while. This I learned from Google.

Mastervolt_Li_Ion_VOR65_discharge_charge

And I don't even know why this is relevant at all, as VOR boats are not even close to 100 footers in question.

Google Comanche! 

Fuck sake, somebody get LB15 on the other line?? 

I’m supposed to be interfering with Jacks hot 40 year old mother in law this evening. Really don’t have time for this. 

(Sorry Jack, too much information?) :P

27 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Have you ever spent time in a Turkish prison dressed up as Julie Andrews??

I take it you have? Relevance of this is still a bit unclear to me though.

22 minutes ago, mad said:

Google Comanche! 

I did. What would be the right search term? 

"Comanche transatlantic record" just returns this as first hit:

And overall it delivered, enabling the team to tear across the Atlantic in record time, using only manual powered winches and hydraulics.

BTW I am quite aware she has engine driven hydraulics as well as an option. She is also able to steam under power without her sails.

No search term I managed to invent did return image of that nice Volvo Penta you linked though. Pity. I believe her engine is more silverish colour with some red markings than green.

And you could also hire Simon van Velthooven and co as crew, if you wanted.

self proclaimed peoples boat I think not, in fact I doubt any of the crew even sat down signed autographs for young kids or talked to people interested in sailing, sadly sailing has much work to catch up on other sports to grab people's imagination.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hoppy said:

Exactly, simpletons like you can only follow the maxis because its a brain off activity.

Following the small boat is such hard work, you have to look for boats in the same division who are close and racing each other. And for the big prize you have to factor in the weather forecasts and the relative positions of the boat to imagine what might happen. Then when the weather does not follow the script everything is turned upside down. 

Perhaps its better to pretend the small boats aren't out there and stick to discussing maxis for days after they have finished whilst you wait for the official Tatts result 

If you are not a millennial, then you at least think like one.  

That’s adorable. First off, not a millennial, so that insult doesn’t fly. Second of all, myself, like most good sailors can multitask. We see two races at the same time. One is entertaining to watch, while the second unfolds. Perhaps it’s because many of us, myself included, have sailed on boats that were both line honor contenders as well as handicap. 

I still remember the joy of partying in the bar after winning line honors in a 200+ boat fleet with a handheld VHF sitting right there listening for finish confirmations to see if we won handicap as well. We did. 

Both wins were a thrill. If you’ve never been there, maybe you wouldn’t get it. I’m guessing you don’t get it. 

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Wrong. Their diesel engine ran 24/7 to drive keel and other hydraulics. Winches only are manual. Your next desktop idea is what??

I believe they turned the engine off for enough time required to set the 24-hour record. Don't need power to cant the keel if it's locked at max cant for 24 hours straight...

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

I'm happy for you... You weren't sailing the S2H just an armchair expert like the rest of us, but clearly trying to follow anything but the LH was beyond you. 

Sorry I wasn’t sailing. It’s kind of a bitch to get a boat over from the U.S. unless you’re filthy rich. 

No problem with the armchair insult. Its fucking cold here, so boats are packed up for winter. Unfortunately, not consistently cold enough for ice boats yet. Stuck with armchair sailing. 

Still curious on your logic behind the millennial insult. I’d really like you to explain that one because it doesn’t make any sense when compared to anything I’ve posted. 

42 minutes ago, ASP said:

I believe they turned the engine off for enough time required to set the 24-hour record. Don't need power to cant the keel if it's locked at max cant for 24 hours straight...

And didn't use the hydraulic halyard winch.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Sorry I wasn’t sailing. It’s kind of a bitch to get a boat over from the U.S. unless you’re filthy rich. 

No problem with the armchair insult. Its fucking cold here, so boats are packed up for winter. Unfortunately, not consistently cold enough for ice boats yet. Stuck with armchair sailing. 

Still curious on your logic behind the millennial insult. I’d really like you to explain that one because it doesn’t make any sense when compared to anything I’ve posted. 

I hate quoting myself, but fuck it. 

Hoppy, have you ever done any real offshore race?  Not looking for a story. Yes or no?

Edit:  and I don’t mean tagging along in the cruising division. 

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The seperation between them and Alive never went more than around 5nm whole race. Deserve their #2 spot.

Awesome result, and I won't say well deserved because that would be patronising to a hardened pro crew, but a great outcome for women's offshore sailing.

And a call out to Infotack.  An awesome result for a design concept that is really well outta date (and may never have been anything other than a compromise anyhow) and easily the weakest of the 100s in light conditions.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

GREAT RACE ..GREAT MEMORIES

@SCANASoff Cape Raoul so should finish before daybreak ahead of some lighter plastic boats in same class. I encourage everyone to go look at their Buffalo track. A ballsy move for a ploughing shitter that got them to nearly single digits at one stage. Hats off.

All the Podiums look now done and dusted. 

Apart from feeling pretty chuffed for my RP trifecta prediction (Alives IRC and ORCi a standout), great to see Privateer a 50' get #3 in IRC Div 0 ahead of all the 100's and 60's bar two to reward them for their huge effort in a big boat race and journey a long way from home. @Couta and the Voodoo lads #3 overall and #1 in Div1 should not be discounted as just big boat as they must have worked their rings off. They had lots of snakes and ladders to get that, where they luckily got a ladder at the end and Ichi got a snake.

Apart from the big dick bonfire a superb race that will leave some great memories. 

It’s still 1975 / 1985 on Trumpcard! We didn’t have any internet or tracker so we took the weather we got on 26th and went wide baby! Good times on the timber bus. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

It’s still 1975 / 1985 on Trumpcard! We didn’t have any internet or tracker so we took the weather we got on 26th and went wide baby! Good times on the timber bus. 

Scanas, you sailed the pants off poor little Trumpcard. It was great entertainment watching the tussle between you and Midnight Rambler.

Congratulations!

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Maw said:

Scanas, you sailed the pants off poor little Trumpcard. It was great entertainment watching the tussle between you and Midnight Rambler.

Congratulations!

Midnight ended up beating us over the line & on IRC. Full credit to them. Those guys knew what to do, esp across storm bay!

We put a reef in before Tasman & a panel on the main separated, went to 2nd reef & a 2nd panel separated. We also opened up some bad cracks on the boom, which we nursed! 

We took a dig into the coast & considered setting the trysail but electeted to push on with two reefs on the main & two panel’s separated which we ran to near the finish when we shook it all out in light airs!  

Great race, great crew / huge effort for QLD owners who do this race!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ASP said:

Does Alive have a canard and WOX daggerboards? A pretty significant difference as far as upwind performance goes I would imagine..?

Yes correct it’s one of the few differences to the boats. Oats more lead on the bulb, different interior and larger code zero

16 hours ago, ASP said:

I was under the same impression also for the Transatlantic record, but was corrected to be wrong.

Clearly this is was not the case though and apparently if you are not a bit of a moron like me and google enough with the right (secret) search terms you will find out this nice picture showing they used a pesky Volvopenta D2 bolted to a couple of two by fours running 24/7 to run their coffee and popcorn machines - and had for some unknown reason Spanish insurance company decals to boot. Clearly the record could have been impossible without this. Those in the know have yet to share their sources for this though, but sure they will when the time is right.

Whole original point was the wish to transition from motorsailing to manual powered sailing, but that point was lost long time ago.

10 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

There's a huge thing being missed here in all the WOXI nonsense and it's that Couta and Co. deserve serious props for winning IRC1 

Absolutely!  Plenty of people are now eating crow about the Voodoo boat choice. 3rd in your first crack at it is pretty damned respectable!

• Like 2

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story.

Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put thoughts and rough ideas into this group for consideration and feedback...I've been very upfront about our thoughts and had some valued responses. This group is an amazing source of information for those that are prepared to take the risk!!

I won't mention names, but right from our outset with the Cookson 12 training platform, there has been great knowledge shared here...and we have benefitted from the experience of the group.

The rationale of choosing an R/P in the 60-70 ft range has been absolutely vindicated...our amateur (mates, family & has beens) program made us a tight team. Adrienne C as navigator was a perfect compliment to our outfit - that woman is the best - generous with her knowledge, professional, friendly, committed as a team player....most importantly a great communicator prepared to share that experience and mentor....cant say enuff about her value to a crew!

Anyway....to all the SA honorary Voodoo croo members out there....thanks so much...it's been an awesome ride...and who knows, maybe we'll get to do it again in the Transpac.

Happiest New Year... stay safe

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

• Like 25
22 minutes ago, Couta said:

OK...so I've nearly sobered up... and want to say a few things to the SA team that have followed the Voodoo story.

Firstly  - Thank you for your support and input! From the outset I've put thoughts and rough ideas into this group for consideration and feedback...I've been very upfront about our thoughts and had some valued responses. This group is an amazing source of information for those that are prepared to take the risk!!

I won't mention names, but right from our outset with the Cookson 12 training platform, there has been great knowledge shared here...and we have benefitted from the experience of the group.

The rationale of choosing an R/P in the 60-70 ft range has been absolutely vindicated...our amateur (mates, family & has beens) program made us a tight team. Adrienne C as navigator was a perfect compliment to our outfit - that woman is the best - generous with her knowledge, professional, friendly, committed as a team player....most importantly a great communicator prepared to share that experience and mentor....cant say enuff about her value to a crew!

Anyway....to all the SA honorary Voodoo croo members out there....thanks so much...it's been an awesome ride...and who knows, maybe we'll get to do it again in the Transpac.

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Congratulations on a really well executed race and impressive program.  Much respect.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Couta said:

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Couta,

Well done to both You and Your Crew,  mate. This can be one of the hardest races in the world and with some owners spending big dollars on smaller boats and campaigns  you have done very well. 

And thank you for including the SA family in your journey and keep us posted on you plans. 

Pulpit 

Congratulations Couta and also to the entire Voodoo crew, that was one of the best races to watch in years!

Sparing a thought for those doing the delivery home, look after each other and stay till New Years, the forecast looked fresh and on the nose last time I looked.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jackolantern said:

There's a huge thing being missed here in all the WOXI nonsense and it's that Couta and Co. deserve serious props for winning IRC1 

Well fucking said!  Especially as Couta has been willing to share the story with us here.  

Congratulations to them all. 

3 hours ago, Couta said:

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Huge kudos to your Voodoo team Couta.  Job Well Done!

• Like 1

Just about to head off on the delivery back to Sydney with WOX. Having competed with the TP52 Celestial. 

What a great race for my first Sydney to Hobart. We sailed well, but made a few tactical errors, and blew an A4 on the first night. Luckily we had chosen to take a spare in our selection, but it was obviously our 'second'. 

We managed to beat all the other TP52s on corrected, and i am not sure we could ask much more than that.

Definitely a good year to be in the 60+ft range. Excellent choice by @Couta. Well done! 

I am reliably informed I have not really done the race... As the conditions were not true 'Hobart Race' conditions... <_<:rolleyes:

There does seem to be an infatuation with the number of times you have races... So hopefully I will be back. 

I will be offshore in the next few hours so wishing you all a happy New Year... You bunch of c*nts! (I have been learning the local language). 

• Like 9
11 hours ago, Potter said:

I am reliably informed I have not really done the race... As the conditions were not true 'Hobart Race' conditions... <_<:rolleyes:

Don't worry they always say that

11 hours ago, Potter said:

There does seem to be an infatuation with the number of times you have races... So hopefully I will be back. 

Caught the bug! I'm hoping to go back for my 5th for the 75th!

18 hours ago, Potter said:

We managed to beat all the other TP52s on corrected, and i am not sure we could ask much more than that.

I think you’re forgetting about one. 

And as long as you sail a TP in Oz Ichi are the level you need to aim for. As annoyingly high as it is. 

Congrats on your first Hobart. It was my 2nd. Hopefully I’ll get more as long as they are all downwind like the last 2 years. 

On 12/31/2018 at 10:20 AM, Couta said:

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Well done you guys performed in the Hobart race when it mattered.Good crew and good boat notwithstanding you had limited time on the boat. I suspect you'll only get better from here

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Nothing more to say here but congrats and respect to all on board ......  Loved the Box boy's mullets.

• Like 1

Couta out!!

Voodoo

8th - Line Honours

3rd - IRC O'all

1st - IRC Div 1

3rd - ORCi O'all

1st - ORCi Div 2

Gday Couta, Well done mate. I caught up briefly with Lucas (BoxBoy / Migalo) in Hobart but didn't run in to you.

I look back to that regatta we did a couple of years ago on Moonspinner (now Patriot) and realise what an honour it was to sail with such a talented bunch, half of whom are now with you on the mighty Voodoo. Results like you have listed here don't come without a hell of a lot of hard work and a hell of a lot of skill, teamwork, determination (and a modicum of luck). Heartiest congratulations to all concerned, looking forward to catching up soon.

SPORTSCAR heading home on the Tassie Ferry , mid Bass Strait right now.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2018 at 10:18 AM, Bill E Goat said:

Well done to Gun Rubber, smallest boat in the fleet and winning the Corinthian Division, not sure how that differs to PHS, those guys deserve a bigger boat

image.png.2d63f998320257cd28a340df7836e6b4.png

I believe Gun Runner is in the Army Inventory as Maritime Armoured Transport Unit: One, troops, for the use of.

On 12/29/2018 at 2:00 PM, SloopJohnB said:

Everyone stayed for the  King of the Derwent, then there was a regatta at Nubeena (just around from Port Arthur), then the Crayfish Cup at Triabunna (inside Maria Island)... those were the days, well, so I've heard - I'd have just been a kid when those events begun to die.

and the Hobart Auckland race.

Did the Crayfish Cup one year and left with 72 dozen Cascade beer onboard a one tonner.

Crayfish Derby at Triabunna, not Crayfish Cup. Some legendary antics there over the years. 

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

I believe Gun Runner is in the Army Inventory as Maritime Armoured Transport Unit: One, troops, for the use of.

Is the Armoured part referring to flares, or are the crew carrying??

Call:Starboard!!

Reply: Loaded...

56 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

Gday Couta, Well done mate. I caught up briefly with Lucas (BoxBoy / Migalo) in Hobart but didn't run in to you.

I look back to that regatta we did a couple of years ago on Moonspinner (now Patriot) and realise what an honour it was to sail with such a talented bunch, half of whom are now with you on the mighty Voodoo. Results like you have listed here don't come without a hell of a lot of hard work and a hell of a lot of skill, teamwork, determination (and a modicum of luck). Heartiest congratulations to all concerned, looking forward to catching up soon.

SPORTSCAR heading home on the Tassie Ferry , mid Bass Strait right now.

Ta SPORTSCAR, I was just getting an update from Adrienne at her navstation when the call from Patriot came thru that they'd lost their rudder....real shame for Recliner and the team, but I know they'll be back, better than ever next year. That boat - as you know - is a wolf in sheep clothing...Anyway, next event on the card for Voodoo is Geelong, where we'll no-doubt get a chance to do more bar-karate and tell tall-tales-but-true...all with the standard intro: "No shit, there we were..." Cheers mate! 

3 hours ago, sailorgirl218 said:

Just logging in after a massive few weeks....

I will have a read. 

Howdy SG - you must be exhausted after covering everything over the last few weeks, but when you get a chance, can you give the SA crew a bit of an understanding about why the coverage of the S2H just gets worse each year....I was keen to get a look at the start of our race, so when i got a chance I looked up the TV coverage and....it was shittier that I can ever recall. Each year I do a fair impression of "old man shakes fist at cloud", in frustration at the myopic focus on Maxi/sydney centric entries but this one plumbed new depths. From a sailors point of view it's almost unwatchable - so if it's for the non-sailors, it successfully paints our sport as completely elitist! And to top it off it's looking like there's an attempt to shut down and discourage alternative, informed and relevant media. I also understand that any comment you make might act against your interests...so much for free speech!

Anyway - really keen to hear your thoughts.

Maybe it should be a thread topic...."What would an ideal S2H event coverage look like?"

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Couta said:

Ta SPORTSCAR, I was just getting an update from Adrienne at her navstation when the call from Patriot came thru that they'd lost their rudder....real shame for Recliner and the team, but I know they'll be back, better than ever next year. That boat - as you know - is a wolf in sheep clothing...Anyway, next event on the card for Voodoo is Geelong, where we'll no-doubt get a chance to do more bar-karate and tell tall-tales-but-true...all with the standard intro: "No shit, there we were..." Cheers mate! 

Cheers Couta, hopefully we will be sailing the Patriot back to Melbourne with her new rudder over that long weekend so we may not get a chance to catch up there this year. Innovation Composites did an outstanding job making up a temporary rudder and she's back in Sydney awaiting a more permanent fix.

Recliner  was understandably pretty down for a while but he's is in much better shape a week on from the incident. I took him for a sail with my mate PJ on the Archambault 40RC in the King of the Derwent yesterday and that seemed to lift his spirits. The Patriot mob had a great time in Hobart and are looking forward to an even greater time following the 75th next year. Agree re the wolf comment- cant wait to show it off for real.

Hey Sportscar, what was the story with Patriot’s rudder? Also agree it’s a great boat, I sailed on her in Brisbane when she was bought over from the states. 

6 hours ago, Couta said:

Howdy SG - you must be exhausted after covering everything over the last few weeks, but when you get a chance, can you give the SA crew a bit of an understanding about why the coverage of the S2H just gets worse each year....I was keen to get a look at the start of our race, so when i got a chance I looked up the TV coverage and....it was shittier that I can ever recall. Each year I do a fair impression of "old man shakes fist at cloud", in frustration at the myopic focus on Maxi/sydney centric entries but this one plumbed new depths. From a sailors point of view it's almost unwatchable - so if it's for the non-sailors, it successfully paints our sport as completely elitist! And to top it off it's looking like there's an attempt to shut down and discourage alternative, informed and relevant media. I also understand that any comment you make might act against your interests...so much for free speech!

Maybe it should be a thread topic...."What would an ideal S2H event coverage look like?"

Ok first up in my opinion sailing is not and will never be a spectator sport.

I got home and watched the start coverage and i was ok with it. The general public wants to see who gets out of tge harbour first and so did i. Rags100 showed great pace and witty on fire i hope they clean up in the Caribbean. Anyway they had jimmy spithill still in the arm brace injury no doubt that was from carrying his day rate and his lunch in one prada man bag not a backpack as per superpro crew protocol. Jimmy called all the boats that they crossed to him for black sheep and others bigger and smaller until he saw the last boat around the harbour heads turning Mark.

There's onboard coverage 

Again I'll say it. No one cares about anything but who is winning and who broke. Day 1.

After reviewing the footage there has to be changes to the exclusion zones to the sea maks. The spectator fleet inside  the harbour was insane and along with the 100s carving up the breeze the helicopters etc then past the sea mark boats everywhere someone is going to die.

Anyway have a moan and complain but if you'd been online and following the cyca standings and tracker you wouldn't be complaining about the 1hr tv coverage. 

Have a great day !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bayboy said:

Did Trumpcard used to be a red boat?

Yes, red with white writing. There is a FB page Trumpcard Sailing which has some early pictures of the boat. 

• Like 1
On 1/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, Couta said:

Still digesting everything, giving myself some time to breathe and catching up on sleep. 

Will come back to the good (and bad) within this thread when I can :)

• Like 2

My post from the RSH protest thread, why should the grumps get all the larfs.

In loving memory of Clark and Daw

We welcome this evening Mr Richard the skipper of the winning power boat.

Hello Brian.

Mr Richard, may we call you Dick?

Sure Brian, most people do.

So you won the race again this year Dick.

Yep we did Brian, 10th time.

I thought it was 9?

Only because of that mongrel Ginger Megs!, It’s really 10, I count 10.

Yes Dick we will come to that later.

This year there seemed to be a problem with your AIS registration.

Not at all Brian registration with the Australian Institute of Sport not required this is a power boat race.

Dick I was referring to your safety equipment the AIS transmitter/receiver.

Oh that thing, it was turned on the whole time.

How do you know that Dick.

Don Juan told me, everyone heard him.

Did you at any point go and see for yourself?

Shit no Brian, Dons room stinks of garlic and Gitanes, no one goes in there.

Ok then but you say it was turned on but it was not transmitting?

Correct Brian, it got de coupled.

Surely you mean fried?

No Brian I know what I said, it was de coupled. Big Eon needed to microwave his pre start brunch so he pulled the plug.

I see and how did it get fixed so quickly in Hobart?

We re shoe’d it Brian.

Surely you mean re booted Dick?

I know what I said Brian, I’m getting a bit tired of you putting words in my mouth.

Ok then how did you fix it?

Well Brian a bunch of us were sculling Bubbles from our smelly shoes and got a bit tipsy. Don Juan went below to get his Gitanes, realised what must have happened and plugged it back in.

I see, and you got into some trouble last year too at the start did you not?

Not at all Brian, that uppity little prick Ginger Megs snuck up on us, no one knew he was there!

I see so what did you do Dick?

We blocked the little prick so he couldn’t get past Brian what a stupid question!

And what did he do Dick?

That’s obvious Brian he had to turn away sharply and go somewhere else.

And what might have happened if he had not done that Dick?

Most likely Brian his front would a fell off!

Thank you Mr Dick.

Always a pleasure Brian.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

@paps49You have now moved to the "attention seeking whore" category...welcome. 

Why thank you Jack. I was pretty chuffed with it and thought why waste it just on the cranky socks, bots, et al in the protest thread. I also posted it to the RSH FB page but I doubt it will get past the Admins. You never know, maybe someone over there has a sense of humour.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1