Offshore 1

Larry's AC50 Circus

The cup is nationality for 20% of team and residency for the rest? So they'd qualify under the residency rule. 

I thought Sail GP rule was nationality, however. But really I have n idea other that what I recall from the early press conferences.  Parko and Goobs haven't been resident long enough in the UK to get citizenship (6 years, or 3 if you have a spouse that is British). 

5 hours ago, wind_apparent said:

Usa was showing some speed at least.   

they'd do great in the quarter mile straight line version of SGP

• Like 1

6 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Not sure what the point was in having an island in the middle of the course.

Forced boats to take a side depending on which gate they used and removed options to get clear air.

Definitely not a good way of running windward leeward course. 

Shark Island is their big for-fee shore spectator and award ceremony site.

Did not watch live, replays squirrelly but Twitter news indicate the value of money in a training-time-handicapped regatta. 

Also USA said they clocked fastest at 47 something iirc. But shows how meaningful instantaneous "speed" is. Not very in terms of finishing. Hmmm...I sense an analogy there but it's funnier for a female audience.  ;)

• Like 2

On 2/26/2020 at 6:58 PM, NeedAClew said:

If Ben kicks Slinger's ass we know the Ineo$ money and training time worked well.

Well well well....

https://sailgp.com/news/sailgp-announces-robust-broadcast-coverage-season-two/

• SKY Sports (UK and Ireland): The new home of SailGP in the United Kingdom and Ireland, SKY Sports will broadcast live event coverage in addition to regular highlights programming throughout the season.
  • TBS BS (Japan): The broadcaster will showcase SailGP to a new audience in Japan with a highlights program following each event to complement live coverage on existing partner DAZN.
  • TV 2 (Denmark): With the first Copenhagen event taking place in September and a new team from Denmark, TV 2 Sport will feature the global championship for the next two seasons, including both live coverage and highlights. In addition, the second day of the Copenhagen 2020 event will be broadcast live on the main TV 2 network.
  • Claro Sports (Central and Latin America): Claro Sports has been added as the exclusive broadcast partner in Central and Latin America, with the Olympic broadcast rights holder providing significant live and delayed coverage across its linear sports channels.
  • Sport24: Broadcaster will provide live and delayed coverage throughout the season on its leading in-flight and cruise line systems.

Additionally, CBS has extended its deal with SailGP following a successful first season that will see continued coverage in the United States and Canada on CBS Sports Network, with two one-hour broadcasts of the San Francisco and New York events on CBS.

Canal+ Sport (France and other French-speaking territories) and FOX Sports (Australia) will continue providing live and delayed coverage, while racing fans in Sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and Southeast Asia regions are able to follow live racing on SuperSport, FLOW Sports and FOX Sports. Live coverage of SailGP continues to be available with partners in New Zealand (Sky Sport), Turkey (BeIN Sport) and Israel (Sport1 / Sport2).

4 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Also USA said they clocked fastest at 47 something iirc. 

WHAT??!?! NOT FIFTY!!?!?!? WHAT A PILE OF SLOW UNWATCHABLE SHIT THEN!

:D

6 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

they'd do great in the quarter mile straight line version of SGP

I watched... and was struck by the poor aero on the F50s compared to the AC50s - more camera gear and pods, fairings much larger, and they returned to large foil posts and agricultural ones at that. Also no fairings around the foil cavities, just big rough open pits. Ben must have jumped in and thought 'what the fuck is this shitbox?'

Of course without the cyclors config the aero is probably always going to be worse...

12 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

WHAT??!?! NOT FIFTY!!?!?!? WHAT A PILE OF SLOW UNWATCHABLE SHIT THEN!

:D

Dean was helming.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Well SGP finally made it to the NZ news. #photobombyawl!

1409428327_ScreenShot2020-02-29at8_30_08AM.png.309067e82ba444d0133f2e201726ab16.png

That is one hell of a strange bridge in the background, looks like an opera house or something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Well SGP finally made it to the NZ news. #photobombyawl!

1409428327_ScreenShot2020-02-29at8_30_08AM.png.309067e82ba444d0133f2e201726ab16.png

Arden playing to her domestic audience in election year.  Laughable to Aus ears.

15 minutes ago, trt131 said:

Arden playing to her domestic audience in election year.  Laughable to Aus ears.

Australians voted for Scott Morrison. Who gives a shit what they think?

• Like 2

On 2/27/2020 at 3:14 PM, barfy said:

Yup.

I'd still back Nathan over slinger, just needs a fair break..or shit not to break.

Ben under USA imho. He's done nothing notable lately other than hit docks.

"Ben under USA imho. He's done nothing notable lately other than hit docks."

You want some hot sauce to help you chew and swallow those unpalatable words!

Sir BA served notice on Friday that with a good boat he will be a force to be reckoned with in the AC. First outing for Ben and his seasoned crew in a new class, with sweet FA practice,and they kicked arse.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

First outing for Ben and his seasoned crew in a new class, with sweet FA practice,and they kicked arse.

Hardly a new Class for the team and hardly no practice in this type of boat, but they did kick arse.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wind_apparent said:

There is no t in team. #flip it 

is there a reason your being a dick again

has someone upset you

or is it a more personal thing

is there something we can do to help you

or

do we just report the excessive spamming to stop it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Formula One on water? More like a 3 lap speedway race. With a roundabout in the middle of the track.

And with woeful commentary that, if we were lucky, told us what we just saw!

1 hour ago, KiwiJoker said:

"Ben under USA imho. He's done nothing notable lately other than hit docks."

You want some hot sauce to help you chew and swallow those unpalatable words!

Sir BA served notice on Friday that with a good boat he will be a force to be reckoned with in the AC. First outing for Ben and his seasoned crew in a new class, with sweet FA practice,and they kicked arse.

And if he hasn't got a good boat in the AC, he ain't worth shit. Nobody to blame but himself.

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

And if he hasn't got a good boat in the AC, he ain't worth shit. Nobody to blame but himself.

Do you think he should have hired a french designer Sbd ? ;)

Just now, Tornado-Cat said:

Do you think he should have hired a french designer Sbd ? ;)

If that's where the bleeding edge is, then yes, TC.

But I hear the Italians are pretty good too. ;-)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

If that's where the bleeding edge is, then yes, TC.

But I hear the Italians are pretty good too. ;-)

^ Yep, their soft sail designer, Gwénolé Bernard, is excellent,  perhaps they should have replaced their head structural engineer though. :)

14 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

^ Yep, their soft sail designer, Gwénolé Bernard, is excellent,  perhaps they should have replaced their head structural engineer though. :)

Plenty of resin and carbon fibre in the supply chain. No need to panic, just yet.

and its live on day 2

credits rolling

i can see why he would be intrigued by alpha males

4 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

i can see why he would be intrigued by alpha males

that's nasty

Weird that they haven't registered the trademark yet for 'powered by nature'.  They use ™ instead of ®, which means no reg.  Skimping on the IP lawyers?

• Like 1

And there's a few minutes of completely dead air with fake wave noise background.  Interviews with crews but the producers can't pick it up. 

Just now, MR.CLEAN said:

And there's a few minutes of completely dead air with fake wave noise background.  Interviews with crews but the producers can't pick it up. 

Yeah odd

does he get a slight reprieve for using Italian hand language

They are saying Ben may try and keep Australia out and let Japan through. Boundary penalty Australia

graphics and overlays are a bit hit and miss

who programed them

have you ever noticed how peaceful the sound of waves can be

over 2 mins between first and last in an 11 min race say there are problems with this one design class

penalty light not going out stuffed the aussies ( yet another software / control glitch )

7 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

software issues ... go figure

Still not fixed since AC35? Sounds like Oracle ;-)

It's proving very hard to watch for so many reasons. The final should never be sailed like it was no matter who was at fault. It's simply not a spectacle unless we get some close racing and lead changes. There was some bad looking video before todays racing within the Aussie camp with reference to Jason Waterhouse not being on his game too. 

11 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

What’s the odds of Ben pulling the pin before the end of the series. 

Certainly no practice for the Big One.! 

You posters are making fun of the best sail racing show in the world. Actually, the girl was also calling it The Show. Did anyone watch it right to the finish of the non-match race? 

4 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

You posters are making fun of the best sail racing show in the world

Sorry Fiji I was unfortunately watching the FailGP were you watching another regatta.

9 hours ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Australians voted for Scott Morrison. Who gives a shit what they think?

Seem like jacinda is more popular over there than he is too. 

Also, what politician isnt playing to their domestic audience every time they open their mouth? 

Just now, Priscilla said:

Sorry Fiji I was unfortunately watching the FailGP were you watching another regatta.

I was watching the ShitGP show, as the real show was supposed to have No Options to watch it. Donald must have Twittered that it was not in the interest of Larry's litigation to geo-block ten (10) Fijian aficionados, and Wussell reluctantly agreed to unblock me, wiping off $10 million of the company's net worth in the process.

26 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Seem like jacinda is more popular over there than he is too. 

Also, what politician isnt playing to their domestic audience every time they open their mouth? 

Only with the snow-flake lefties and they lost the unlosable last election.  SCOMO will win the next again too.

Really wanted this event to succeed as I like action sailing. But just watched a replay of the last generation of keel boats in an AC final and despite their slow speeds they remain close and this builds anticipation if you like. After watching today I can't help feel it could be a preview of the Americas Cup? When one team is a way advanced over the other in control and speed it makes for huge separation and a boring spectacle. The challenger series may prove to be exciting with some luck? Jimmy vs Ben vs Dean humm.... #Americascup 

You'd have to say that Kiwi match racing skipper Phil Robertson has delivered a bloody impressive maiden performance in the opening regatta of SailGP's second season. I didn't see today's racing  but clearly the Kiwi had a great two days that included three second places. That's if you don't count the nine points he was docked after his boat's collision on Day One with  Billy Besson's Team France. Robertson was standing in for Team Spain's skipper Jordi Xammer.

Britain's Ben Ainslie was the runaway winner with 47 points. Tom Slingsby, Team Australia, was second with 42, and  fellow Aussie Nathan Outerbridge on Team Japan came in third with 39 points. Robertson scored 31 points. Without the nine point penalty, Robertson would have scored 40, placing him third overall with Outerbridge and putting the young newcomer team only two places out of second.

Y

22 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Formula One on water? More like a 3 lap speedway race. With a roundabout in the middle of the track.

like a 3 lap speedway race

What a great line.

Colourful chaos on the water, at starts and marks at least, complete with the chances of collisions or capsize.

Considering how shit many of you think it is and frequently tell us, you all tuned in for the second series.. 

the lady doth protest too much.. 

15 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

That's if you don't count the nine points he was docked after his boat's collision on Day One with  Billy Besson's Team France.

im wondering why he tacked early before the boundary right of way came in  .. was it ( yet another ) software or hardware glitch

surely if a boat within x boat lengths of the boundary and that cjhanged the right of way rule it should have sounded an alarm and or lit a lamp of some description so both boats know that

or was the program glitch more of a bad program parameter requirement fail ( ie they never thought of doing anything like that )

4 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

you all tuned in for the second series..

first series .. second day

i can see how you might be confused though .. everything else to do with organizing it is

and i would watch any foiling race .. i like speedy sail boats

im not so impressed with shit organization and false advertising though

48 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

You'd have to say that Kiwi match racing skipper Phil Robertson has delivered a bloody impressive maiden performance in the opening regatta of SailGP's second season. I didn't see today's racing  but clearly the Kiwi had a great two days that included three second places. That's if you don't count the nine points he was docked after his boat's collision on Day One with  Billy Besson's Team France. Robertson was standing in for Team Spain's skipper Jordi Xammer.

Britain's Ben Ainslie was the runaway winner with 47 points. Tom Slingsby, Team Australia, was second with 42, and  fellow Aussie Nathan Outerbridge on Team Japan came in third with 39 points. Robertson scored 31 points. Without the nine point penalty, Robertson would have scored 40, placing him third overall with Outerbridge and putting the young newcomer team only two places out of second.

Y

Maiden performance? He has a whole season under his belt driving the Chinese boat in 2019

Match racing where you can do your penalty before the start? Life Jim, but not as we know it

you can bet you will never hear what really happened from official channels

im also betting all participants and media have gag orders on any organizational glitches

or in other words .. everything you would expect from an oracle software package .. raced on water with sail boats

52 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

first series .. second day

i can see how you might be confused though .. everything else to do with organizing it is

and i would watch any foiling race .. i like speedy sail boats

im not so impressed with shit organization and false advertising though

It’s the second year of racing.  

if it was so shit the first time, as Clean and others have said it’s amazing they are tuned in to this years events 

Do I care about the snarky shitty no press pass politics? Nope, do I like seeing big crazy as fuck boats racing, yes.  End of. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Really wanted this event to succeed as I like action sailing. But just watched a replay of the last generation of keel boats in an AC final and despite their slow speeds they remain close and this builds anticipation if you like. After watching today I can't help feel it could be a preview of the Americas Cup? When one team is a way advanced over the other in control and speed it makes for huge separation and a boring spectacle. The challenger series may prove to be exciting with some luck? Jimmy vs Ben vs Dean humm.... #Americascup 

They'll just adjust Ben's handicap then right? ;) Easy as....

Spite Cup, recycling dumbed down, used up, AC cast-offs

Have not watched may succumb to replay because Mr Clew recorded it.

But reading online, seems to be that part time gig work teams (startup SGP budget) are not as tight as fulltime team (fully funded SGP team whose members are an AC team).   Makes sense.  Bad for Australia sponsor hunt, I fear. 

More likely if RC gets a verrry lucrative alternative offer with a new time horizon. 

Watching Day1 replay live on CBSSports. 8 min in no racing yet. Currently seeing ad cluster for snowmobile action show, braces, alfalfa romeo, something I missed maybe another car. Lots of talking by some English guy. 

5 hours ago, phill_nz said:

im wondering why he tacked early before the boundary right of way came in  .. was it ( yet another ) software or hardware glitch

He tacked well before because he had a small boat in front of them, This boat was part of a line of watching boats. I don't know if the software had a glitch or the spectator boats did not respect the boundaries.

Small boards, more wind, bit of chop. Sydney very pretty.

"Alpha males guns blazing." Uh huh. 

Camera direction bad. Can't get sense of course. Then they cut to onboard cam and just as you see a good shot with close boats they cut to a single boat. Fire whoever is doing this.

Mr Clew started snoring. For reals. Now ad for servepro, geico, army national guard, adoption (ran three times in a row). They have done well getting advertisers. But direction sucks. Back somewhere in race, no context. They just run ads over race leaving huge gaps. Plus no thrills. Oh yes, Phil bashed Billy. Whew.

If app is not more compelling than this, they are dead. Did FB and YT have this same boring, disjoint feed?  They are replaying smash and talking to Slater and not commenting on the race at all.

"You can't take your eyes off this inaugural race for a single second." Says English guy. Well, yeah, the camera did for ads and stuff.

Mr Clew snores on.

• Like 5

Just one last word. The INEOS boat is steady like a rock on its foils both straight and in maneuvers. Flying like a dream. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JALhazmat said:

Considering how shit many of you think it is and frequently tell us, you all tuned in for the second series.. 

the lady doth protest too much.. 

The people that hang out in this forum will always be interested.  That doesn't make it good racing. 

It's a real shame that as a showcase for yachting, it's such a poor sporting spectacle.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

Agree PR was doing great - consistently at the front throughout the event. I'm sure this a story to the boundary incident, but doubt we'll hear PR's contract allows him to diss his employer SGP, instead they'll want him to come up with some contrived locker-room narrative.

PR and Spain did great. Spain has the new and improved wing, I think, but even so he really shows he is a match racing champion...and a good coach. 

This season I think the racing is probably more interesting than the incompetent video direction and camera choices show it to be. Certainly not showcasing the event.  They need to address that. 

59 minutes ago, david r said:

Somtimes it looked like england had a speed advantage.

Good choice of line and picking  where wind was. Smooth operators.