4 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Nothing is made up. I am reporting facts and the matter is most of the promises made by Dalton in his Final Presser in BDA have gone down the drain.

No you're not! What FACTS have you reported? What "Promises" do you speak of? Your problem is you push your opinion as fact, and when it goes against you, you say "Its my opinion so stop bullying me"

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was there for Sunday, not in the paid sections, but in the race village area and then along at Egypt Point.  There were tonnes of people there. Not sure what capacity they were hoping for, but

Well, I won't go into the "redefining TV" because it seems you're talking about an app and not broadcast TV. But there seems to be no real grounds for the claim that SailGP is "redefining sailing".

Will probably get hammered for trying to provide an objective report of the spectator experience for yesterday but here goes. First time seeing these boats live.  Bought the premium tickets for m

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Yet it’s okay to completely shit all over AC36 with made up crap?

So the AC36 Protocol 6.2 ( c) states that a challenging club "must be financially supported by a majority of its members on a pro-rata basis"

Larry Ellison's club is the Golden Gate Yacht Club.(GGYC)

If rumours are true Larry Ellison "financially supported" GGYC in a manner that was not "pro-rata".

If the above is true, as I have been led to understand, GGYC is therefore disqualified from entering AC36 due to the wording of the AC36 Protocol.

So the Defender and CoR have stopped GGYC playing their (AC36) game.

So how the hell is Larry Ellison wanting to still be involved with high performance yacht racing figure with "completely shit all over AC36".

Did the defender and CoR expect LE and Oracle to roll over and ask them to scratch their belly? Got that one wrong!

Even if it is not, what right do ETNZ and the Italians have to even think that someone else cannot run a sailing event just because they are running one.

I think you will find that the Euro100m cost of a viable entry has more to do with the low entry numbers than anything else. Just as the Dutch or Maltese or Stars & Stripes (only 10 days to go for them to brass up. Dalton stating a team could be "competitive" for Euro40m certainly didn't help as everyone knew that was a non starter.

The SailGP teams have had to find no budget, Japan wasn't going to enter, China would have no sponsor in time, Britain is in both, Australia couldn't find the AC budget, USA is in both, France couldn't find the budget last time round. 

So taking on board that information please explain how SailGP is completely shitting all over the AC? I am interested to hear.

Just 1 clear day to the New York event. Mark you with the New York weather as it is, it would be nice to have a clear day :-)

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Hilarious! That is not crap. It may yet come to pass. All the ranting by ETNZ about their own NZ Media has put them in a very bad spot.

So you're actually celebrating the possibility of less competitors?

You should get some joy in your life buddy.

5 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

So the AC36 Protocol 6.2 ( c) states that a challenging club "must be financially supported by a majority of its members on a pro-rata basis"

If rumours are true Larry Ellison "financially supported" GGYC in a manner that was not "pro-rata".

If the above is true, as I have been led to understand, GGYC is therefore disqualified from entering AC36 due to the wording of the AC36 Protocol.

So how the hell is Larry Ellison wanting to still be involved with high performance yacht racing figure with "completely shit all over AC36".

Did the defender and CoR expect LE and Oracle to roll over and ask them to scratch their belly? Got that one wrong!

Even if it is not, what right do ETNZ and the Italians have to even think that someone else cannot run a sailing event just because they are running one.

I think you will find that the Euro100m cost of a viable entry has more to do with the low entry numbers than anything else. Just as the Dutch or Maltese or Stars & Stripes (only 10 days to go for them to brass up. Dalton stating a team could be "competitive" for Euro40m certainly didn't help as everyone knew that was a non starter.

The SailGP teams have had to find no budget, Japan wasn't going to enter, China would have no sponsor in time, Britain is in both, Australia couldn't find the AC budget, USA is in both, France couldn't find the budget last time round. 

So taking on board that information please explain how SailGP is completely shitting all over the AC? I am interested to hear.

Just 1 clear day to the New York event. Mark you with the New York weather as it is, it would be nice to have a clear day :-)

That sure is a lot of words for a fundamental misunderstanding... Forourselves was suggesting a4e was shitting all over ac36, not that SGP was - how could it...

btw 6.2 doesn't exclude GGYC, it just stops clubs being held hostage... It all comes down to definition of 'supported'

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I didn't say SailGP was shitting on AC36. It was that idiot @dg_sailingfan that was moaning about how he couldn't understand why people were questioning SailGP, because he thought it was a "great event" but for him its okay to completely shit on AC36 with all his made up conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Hilarious! That is not crap. It may yet come to pass. All the ranting by ETNZ about their own NZ Media has put them in a very bad spot.

Its old news and the teams themeslves debunked it.

5 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The only Team who wants more Challengers is Defender ETNZ because of money. More Challengers = More Funding, More Infrastructure for AUCK among other things.

For LR, Ineos and NYYC/AM the two remaining Late Entries are huge Distractions.

I compare it to US Presidential Politics.

While one Party Nominee has already locked up the Nomination and can go full attack mode on the other Party's Frontrunner that Frontrunner of the other Party is still fighting to lock the Nomination of his own Party and is distracted by it and can't turn to the General Election.

Team NZ needed 3 challengers. They got it early.

They're only a distraction if they let themselves be distracted.

US politics? Where they have a wanna be celebrity TV show host as a President? Sure...what ever.

If ever you wanted to see A4E's appalling cognitive and reasoning skills in broad daylight, just witness their account, assessment and 'understanding' of the US politics... lordy...

11 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

The only Team who wants more Challengers is Defender ETNZ because of money. More Challengers = More Funding, More Infrastructure for AUCK among other things.

I think you should dwell on this for a while, search really deep down and ask yourself how Team NZ benefit from additional infrastructure being built. Really, really deep down. Deeper. No, wait, before you hit reply, go deeper. And search your barren soul and think how this might benefit the team, and then fuck off. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, rh3000 said:

That sure is a lot of words for a fundamental misunderstanding... Forourselves was suggesting a4e was shitting all over ac36, not that SGP was - how could it...

btw 6.2 doesn't exclude GGYC, it just stops clubs being held hostage... It all comes down to definition of 'supported'

I would welcome your alternative definition to "must be financial supported by the majority of its members on a pro-rata basis" 

"pro-rata" from the Latin - literally, according to the rate

6.2starts with RNZYS will not accept a challenge from a yacht club that does not  meet the requirements …….

6.2 c is a requirement. If GGYC is not financial supported pro-rata by it's membership then, according to the Protocol, a challenge from GGYC would not be accepted.

How pray tell does this differ from "being excluded"?

14 hours ago, Forourselves said:

I didn't say SailGP was shitting on AC36. It was that idiot @dg_sailingfan that was moaning about how he couldn't understand why people were questioning SailGP, because he thought it was a "great event" but for him its okay to completely shit on AC36 with all his made up conspiracy theories.

Fourourselves, sounds like you are the victim of a written 'soundbite' I apologise for both that and my reaction.

I have just seen so many examples of people saying in many different ways that if someone doesn't want to play in the AC36 they shouldn't have the right to play their own game.

It is not SailGP's fault that people find it more attractive or compelling than the will they/wont they reporting on whether the remaining AC hopefuls make it to the start line or not.

Watching sailing is usually more compelling than reading about whether someone has raised enough cash for a down payment on an event.

Just stirring the pot, genuinely interested in getting some definitive opinions.

If I am wrong, (been that before many times) I will hold my hands up and say so (done that before) but I cannot see how refusing to accept entries from clubs that are not just ordinarily funded across the membership (pro-rata) - they clearly had a target (or two)

And the ultimate irony of it all is it was a Kiwi challenge that started it all with Michael Fay's Mercury Bay Yacht Club DoG challenge run from a beat up Ford Zephyr.

Like I say, just stirring ;-)

SS

1 hour ago, DHFiend said:

Looking out the window and down on the course - looks to be 8-15 blowing down the river... Big patchy puffs rolling down from Hudson Yards.

First race in 2 1/2 hours....

This should be messy, still sort of looking high teens (15-18 N-NW) at the bottom of the race track but really looking like a lot of big holes up north. Looks to be as light as 5.....

Hopefully this will be better than the last time they tried to race here....

17 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

12 minutes to start of live broadcast?

Great Britain already out due to capsize!

Is that a buy the app, streamed from their site link?  Not available for me. 

45 minutes ago, ProaSailor said:

Not available there either. 

Edit, 

Not available in the UK apparently. <_<  Is this a push to make everyone get a VPN setup? A lot of stuff seems to be more geo blocked than a year or 2 ago. Not just AC, general news at times. 

^bummer. I didn't know you could get geo blocked on YouTube. I went to Facebook, said technical difficulties, so I followed the yt link worked fine. 

1134 viewers all told, and then folks watching on the app. App has 1k+ downloads as of today. So add in another 1k for iOS, and an optimistic 3k of views.

America's Cup yt had 15k views on race 7  of the match in 24 hours.

Glad no one was hurt today, was a bit loose as rrrrandy would say :D

8 minutes ago, barfy said:

^bummer. I didn't know you could get geo blocked on YouTube. I went to Facebook, said technical difficulties, so I followed the yt link worked fine. 

1134 viewers all told, and then folks watching on the app. App has 1k+ downloads as of today. So add in another 1k for iOS, and an optimistic 3k of views.

America's Cup yt had 15k views on race 7  of the match in 24 hours.

Glad no one was hurt today, was a bit loose as rrrrandy would say :D

YouTube started geo blocking earlier than most. 

Any body got any tips on a VPN app for IPads?

43 minutes ago, mad said:

YouTube started geo blocking earlier than most. 

Any body got any tips on a VPN app for IPads?

Blocked also in France ..

I watched the SF race on below site (if i remember well) :

http://livetv.sx/enx/

don't see sailgp listed this time, but it appears below for tomorrow :

https://www.jokerlivestream.com/sailgp-vs-new-york-usa-live-stream-705052.html

Stupid geo blocking. Good way to grow a sport that barely anyone is watching. No I don't want the app. I don't want to watch this on my fucking phone. I want this on my desktop and cast to my TV. As usual Russell has his head jammed way up his arse. Such an idiot.

• Like 3

They can go and fuck themselves, clicked and started a spamming shitfight with updates that led to geoblocking anyway.

That isn't sailing.  Sailing has been hijacked by Corporations.  Last time I even try to watch that shit.

Larry is a cunt.

4 hours ago, Qman said:

That was ridiculous.  I can’t believe how dumb that is as a sailing venue.   

The craziest part is that if they simply moved the course a kilometer down the bay, there wouldn’t be buildings blocking the wind, and it would be blowing steady.  There is a huge park there, and you can still view the action from the bottom of manhattan.  It must not be a case of permitting access because there already had the Red Bull air races there and the Gotham multihull regatta is there 4th of July weekend (which is a great event for anyone in the northeast btw.).  Just foolish decisions for background of the media product instead of good racing.  Better yet host it inside of sandy hook where there is usually a sea breeze and flat water for these boats.

• Downvote 1
35 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

The craziest part is that if they simply moved the course a kilometer down the bay, there wouldn’t be buildings blocking the wind, and it would be blowing steady.  There is a huge park there, and you can still view the action from the bottom of manhattan.  It must not be a case of permitting access because there already had the Red Bull air races there and the Gotham multihull regatta is there 4th of July weekend (which is a great event for anyone in the northeast btw.).  Just foolish decisions for background of the media product instead of good racing.  Better yet host it inside of sandy hook where there is usually a sea breeze and flat water for these boats.

Interesting comment...

1 hour ago, Loose Cannon said:

If they race in New York it's to make a show within the city and attract non sailors. If they wanted perfect conditions they would be in Bermudas and would race dry laps.

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

If they race in New York it's to make a show within the city and attract non sailors. If they wanted perfect conditions they would be in Bermudas and would race dry laps.

T&A, blood and gore, and meth cooking moms attract the non sailing public.

Watching jitter bugs prolly doesn't. As in the 1100 viewers of the live feed.

And yur most likely not able to objectively decide what attracts a non sailor TC.

• Downvote 1
17 minutes ago, barfy said:

T&A, blood and gore, and meth cooking moms attract the non sailing public.

Watching jitter bugs prolly doesn't. As in the 1100 viewers of the live feed.

And yur most likely not able to objectively decide what attracts a non sailor TC.

They want drama and capsize within the city to attract new-yorkers and local medias, video is for another audience, sailing fans.

Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billspringer/2019/06/20/futuristic-hydrofoiling-catamarans-return-to-nyc-for-the-first-time-since-the-americas-cup-world-series/#6bc5c1b934ff

Pix:

https://pix11.com/2019/06/21/international-sailing-races-cruise-into-new-york-city/

4 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

I think you can see all the races here for those who could not yesterday.

The crew are really excellent to race in these incredibily difficult conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/SailGP/videos/441921736605038/

Even the replays are geoblocked in France, replays on facebook and the app : only 7 days after the races, lol ...

(due to canal +, the paid tv with the rights, more than sailgp organisation I guess)

34 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Even the replays are geoblocked in France, replays on facebook and the app : only 7 days after the races, lol ...

(due to canal +, the paid tv with the rights, more than sailgp organisation I guess)

Yes, probably. The problem is that Team France will never be able to grow a sufficient popular fan base as far as it is blocked to the general public.

Canal + is owned by Vivendi, who is owned by Bolloré, who helped Macron get president. So, as far as the french don't get rid of their oligarchy it will be difficult have real free and competitive TV. In fact TV is now a minor media, but Canal+ blocks Youtube.

So, either you watch it thanks to dg_s or you try to change your IP and you get it live.

Perhaps one day we have the guillotine back to Place de La Concorde and we watch it live ;)

Wind was nuts, thinking most  race committees would have called off the races all together, glad they didn't though.

Japan was so smooth, well deserved those two wins.

I'm glad for the folks employed and the economic opportunities - but can't you partisan hacks just take a break from trying to shit on each other? SailGP is its own thing. America's Cup is its own thing. They're not occupying or trying to occupy the same limited real estate. If you love foiling cats - enjoy the foiling cats. If you love the metaphoric nature of the Cup? enjoy that.  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

I would gladly do that Miffy but @Forourselves started this digging & shitting about SailGP before it all started. If you go back to the first few pages of this Thread he was the one constantly throwing shit at it because he felt threatened that it would rival the America's Cup. As long as he keeps digging, throwing cheap shots at SailGP I will do the same with the AC.

Bullshit. I didn't post on this page for a long time, but there you were, every day posting crap about the AC. 

25 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I'm glad for the folks employed and the economic opportunities - but can't you partisan hacks just take a break from trying to shit on each other? SailGP is its own thing. America's Cup is its own thing. They're not occupying or trying to occupy the same limited real estate. If you love foiling cats - enjoy the foiling cats. If you love the metaphoric nature of the Cup? enjoy that.  

Correct. And for me it's fast sailing boats, so fast cats with SailGP and hopefully fast monos during the AC.

46 minutes ago, Miffy said:

"They're not occupying or trying to occupy the same limited real estate" But this thread is.

2 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Yes, probably. The problem is that Team France will never be able to grow a sufficient popular fan base as far as it is blocked to the general public.

Canal + is owned by Vivendi, who is owned by Bolloré, who helped Macron get president. So, as far as the french don't get rid of their oligarchy it will be difficult have real free and competitive TV. In fact TV is now a minor media, but Canal+ blocks Youtube.

So, either you watch it thanks to dg_s or you try to change your IP and you get it live.

Perhaps one day we have the guillotine back to Place de La Concorde and we watch it live ;)

The thing is, I'm not against paying for contents, but what really pisses me off is the "all subscription based" mindset around paid content.

if sailgp had offers like "5 or 10 euros" for a race, or 50 euros for the season, pay once then it's done, would be ok for me.

(canal + is doing the same for wimbledon)

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

T-C,

Just saying

Overall Leaderboard

# 1 Australia 140

# 2 Japan 139

So if Japan wins they are tied.

How come ? 2 win for the aussies against one for "japan " right ?

43 minutes ago, yl75 said:

The thing is, I'm not against paying for contents, but what really pisses me off is the "all subscription based" mindset around paid content.

if sailgp had offers like "5 or 10 euros" for a race, or 50 euros for the season, pay once then it's done, would be ok for me.

(canal + is doing the same for wimbledon)

Yup. Totally ass. Maybe for pro tennis,but a fledgling circuit needs views. Dumb as shit.

Training: teams got one day, dumb. It's a two boat race until these guys get time on water.

Those are my beefs, always have been. Racing was ok, nate showed his 49er chops and dominated. Couple teams showed some big improvements and some gains in the snakes and ladders.

11 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Other than Burling I think Nate was the best helmsman in Bermuda. Not surprised he's making gains. 

Totally.

I do remember being totally impressed when slingers jumped in a borrowed moth at the world's and finished top 5? a couple years ago, beating a few entz'ers who had full support, including deeno. But not that next level nate and burling show at times.

8 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Awesome. Showcasing shit yachting.

If your intent was to say “Hey this sport exists!” then fine, but to buy some of the best sailors in the world and make them do this shit is like having F1 drivers racing clown cars on a monthly basis and pretend it’s not all for fun. 

I got nothing against Dean Barker - he poured his heart out for NZ in San Francisco and the subsequent falling out was ugly. But he's kind of a silver spoon big boat skipper and I don't think any amount of money can get a big boat guy to be competitive at moths. 

In many ways there's this underlying tension in the scene where you have some preppy Americans whose main introduction into the sport is being the child of some wealthy parents or yacht club founding member. And then a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies who are generally proper lads who'll sail anything that is fun. 

Deano is like the Kiwi version of the rich kid, but isn't the complete jackass because back then in NZ you wouldn't be able to get away with a jackass attitude. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Miffy,

Looks like your Appeal to both Camps, the Camp of the AC and the Camp of SailGP didn't work. @Ex-yachtie comes in here and throws shit at the Event.

But I'm glad you tried!

Takes one to know one I guess. Once SailGP has been running for 132 years I’ll admit that it’s the better event. 

Just finished watching day 1. Well yes, interesting days yachting. Not sure it's quite what the organizers want it to be, but they can't control the weather. I think the AC75 would have been pretty hairy in those conditions.

I live in New York so went down to Brookfield Place today to watch the "racing".  I saw the big AC72 foiling cats in 2013 and they were spectacular.  I didn't go to Bermuda but watched it avidly on TV and thought it looked great, so I was excited to see the AC50s in the flesh.  The whole event was sad.  The AC50s really do look like little plastic hobie cats.  The "crowd" was a small bunch of baffled mall shoppers who stumbled onto to event by accident while walking their dogs and pushing their strollers.  The over-loud, over-excited commentary blasting out of speakers along the waterfront tried to make it sound like overtime at the Superbowl, which was completely at odds with the largely disinterested audience.  The races were so short that there was no tactics, let alone strategy, so the general vibe was "what the hell was that about?".  This wasn't much of a showcase for sailing or sailors or anything really.  "Stadium sailboat racing" is a dud.  I'm glad the kiwis are racing bigger boats on longer courses in the actual sea next AC.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, Yankie said:

The over-loud, over-excited commentary

The bogan Aussie with his mangled English is dreadful - cringe worthy and embarrassing.

27 minutes ago, Yankie said:

"Stadium sailboat racing" is a dud.

The concept that sailing can be a close viewing spectator sport is laughable. It's always been done at a distance - they're yachts for fucks sake, not go-karts. Russell is such an idiot.

43 minutes ago, Yankie said:

I live in New York so went down to Brookfield Place today to watch the "racing".  I saw the big AC72 foiling cats in 2013 and they were spectacular.  I didn't go to Bermuda but watched it avidly on TV and thought it looked great, so I was excited to see the AC50s in the flesh.  The whole event was sad.  The AC50s really do look like little plastic hobie cats.  The "crowd" was a small bunch of baffled mall shoppers who stumbled onto to event by accident while walking their dogs and pushing their strollers.  The over-loud, over-excited commentary blasting out of speakers along the waterfront tried to make it sound like overtime at the Superbowl, which was completely at odds with the largely disinterested audience.  The races were so short that there was no tactics, let alone strategy, so the general vibe was "what the hell was that about?".  This wasn't much of a showcase for sailing or sailors or anything really.  "Stadium sailboat racing" is a dud.  I'm glad the kiwis are racing bigger boats on longer courses in the actual sea next AC.

You clown are no more Yank than I am but you are part of the kiwi troll squad. BTW, clown sock puppet, do you prefer Burling or Tuke ? :D

20 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

The concept that sailing can be a close viewing spectator sport is laughable. It's always been done at a distance - they're yachts for fucks sake, not go-karts. Russell is such an idiot.

How old are you, over 80 ? You have not been in SF watching the AC72 screaming in front of you on the shore ? Ever heard of the ESS ? Have you had a look at the public on the shore in New York ? Who is the idiot here, Russell or you ? 

Ha ha - that's funny.  A genuine insult from the mighty Tornado-Cat about my humble racing day commentary.  I'm honored!  I'm not sure whether I'm more a Yank than you - how much of a Yank are you?  It will break my little Yank kids' hearts now that their daddy has been exposed as a deep cover plant by the notorious "kiwi troll squad".  I've got absolutely nothing against a sailing series that isn't the AC.  Just because there's a soccer World Cup every 4 years doesn't mean there shouldn't be other soccer tournaments too.  I just wanted to have a nice late-afternoon watching cool boats having exciting races.  But instead the highlight was the Bermuda tourism tent giving out free popsicles.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tornado-Cat said:

How old are you, over 80 ? You have not been in SF watching the AC72 screaming in front of you on the shore ? Ever heard of the ESS ? Have you had a look at the public on the shore in New York ? Who is the idiot here, Russell or you ? 

As a member of the "public on the shore in New York", we were all thinking three things: (1) will that guy please stop shouting - absolutely nothing is happening that is worth shouting about, (2) is this kind of promotion for a new summer hobie cat rental like the row boat rental up at Pier 25? (3) is the Bermuda stand still giving out popsicles?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tornado-Cat said:

How old are you, over 80 ?

53, which according to my dodgy maths makes me under 80.

You have not been in SF watching the AC72 screaming in front of you on the shore ?

Nope.

Ever heard of the ESS ?

Yep.

Have you had a look at the public on the shore in New York ?

Sounds a bit like stalking, so I'm going to say no.

Who is the idiot here, Russell or you ?

Hmmm, that's a tricky one.....I'll get back to you later.

Come on TC, Sailgp has failed to live up to the hype.

15 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

it's to make a show within the city and attract non sailors

How can they expect to do that when even sailors go 'this is silly and nonsense'.

6 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

The bogan Aussie with his mangled English is dreadful - cringe worthy and embarrassing.

He posts here, I'm sure he'll take you valued feedback on board...

Currently watching day 1 race 1, fuck me what shit show, they really couldn't have picked a worse venue for these boats. Stadium sailing is such a cunt of an idea.

• Like 1