18 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

The latest wings are a completely new design by SailGP.  Different planform shape, new structure, new control system (both in concept and implementation), and made in four segments so they can be varied in size depending on the forecast winds.  

who designed them? 

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was there for Sunday, not in the paid sections, but in the race village area and then along at Egypt Point.  There were tonnes of people there. Not sure what capacity they were hoping for, but

Well, I won't go into the "redefining TV" because it seems you're talking about an app and not broadcast TV. But there seems to be no real grounds for the claim that SailGP is "redefining sailing".

Will probably get hammered for trying to provide an objective report of the spectator experience for yesterday but here goes. First time seeing these boats live.  Bought the premium tickets for m

Posted Images

3 hours ago, PJB said:

Personally i'd be sad at the demise of SGP - if indeed it happens but .....

i can't help noticing there is one usually persistent contributor with strong views on the SGP who is MIA. He appears to be contributing to other threads ok. Where is he  ? An opposing view is important !

Not sure if you're talking to Me or not, but I have strong (and consistent) views on SailGP.

15 minutes ago, accnick said:

SailGP design team, led by Mike Drummond. That should be a familiar name to those here from NZ.

Familiar to C-Class fans, that's for sure.

Didn't we do a cocktail hour with him in VLC?

21 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

I noticed he was checking out Smacks profile the other day - he's a member here. 

You pay more attention to that kind of stuff than I do, obviously. But I'm glad Mike follows my hilarious hijinks and surprisingly valuable insights. I mean lots of people do - but some matter more than others.

Cheers Mike. You're doing a helluva job!

Now, back the the threads that matter.

12 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

I'm glad Mike follows my hilarious hijinks and surprisingly valuable insights.

Mike sent me a PM asking what I knew about you. He's looking for new hires. I said no one on this forum knows more about racing sail boats than Smackers - he'd be a good fit for your organisation.

• Like 2

Specifically he is looking for people who sailed a cruising catamaran in the Gulf of Mexico three times, to help provide valuable input for new GP50 features.  The Ph.D. really sealed the deal, along, of course, with spamdaddy's prodigious and erudite observations on racing technique, design, and event marketing. 

• Like 2
Just now, Forourselves said:

Already mentioned earlier by Clew.  Doubt that she got her marching orders, more likely she got indeed other plans, like the TOR. Or possibly she has fallen out with Bruno Dubois after some  Dongfuck affair. Or she just has had enough of RC and his circus.

There are some French posters here who could actually ask her...

The 1.8 billion people "connecting with it online" bit could be anything from seeing a tweet or FB post to watching full regattas.  Unique individuals or not is another question. 

Consistency from season to season, well so far one team with potentially a billion fans is out and the nationality rule changed to 80% for the developed teams. 

Also he describes teams being traded to new owners when the old one dies or loses interest. That kinda could mess with nation against nation fanbases when you sell your Auusies to Dubai or wherever but oh well, the NFL manages with city against city. Of course all those Raiders players weren't  FROM Oakland...I suspect nation vs nation will go and teams will have names like Ineos Rebels, Gaszprom Giants, etc.

With the first woman gone, lost my interest in France although Timothe is quite charismatic. I liked China, they are gone at least Chinese I wanted to watch develop. I care less and less. Will watch if I remember to, I guess.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Priscilla said:

Sir Russell Coutts takes success in stride, setting lofty goals for second season of SailGP

I'm curious about the details of his "ownership" model. What exactly will the teams own - the physical assets - boat and wing? Or is it just the right to participate? A somewhat intangible asset. With the Gp management still overseeing the event and having the ability to change things at a whim, how will that affect the perceived value of owning a team? You're effectively buying something you have no control of. Not sure how enticing that will be to prospective owners. I'm sure Russell has a package in place that answers most of these questions, and it's not as like he's ever done anything dodgy in his sailing/business career........

10 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

The 1.8 billion people "connecting with it online" bit could be anything from seeing a tweet or FB post to watching full regattas.  Unique individuals or not is another question. 

Consistency from season to season, well so far one team with potentially a billion fans is out and the nationality rule changed to 80% for the developed teams. 

Also he describes teams being traded to new owners when the old one dies or loses interest. That kinda could mess with nation against nation fanbases when you sell your Auusies to Dubai or wherever but oh well, the NFL manages with city against city. Of course all those Raiders players weren't  FROM Oakland...I suspect nation vs nation will go and teams will have names like Ineos Rebels, Gaszprom Giants, etc.

With the first woman gone, lost my interest in France although Timothe is quite charismatic. I liked China, they are gone at least Chinese I wanted to watch develop. I care less and less. Will watch if I remember to, I guess.

Same boat here pretty much, probably will watch "if I remember" simply because it's boats on the water, well sort of.

Going forward, can we minimize the Raiders talk, & the Steelers, & the fucking Patriots? 

Growing consensus seems to be that this will be the final season of GP50 as there is no way the teams will be able to raise the money except the Brits with INEOS. Hard to see why LE would want to continue to subsidise just as a way to get back at TNZ for beating him in Bermuda. He has made his point and in the process created a fleet of truly spectacular catamarans and supported a large part of the NZ marine industry. 

18 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Growing consensus seems to be that this will be the final season of GP50

This is how I think it will play out. Season 2 proceeds with Slingers dominating yet still unable to find a buyer for his team. Russell does a hard sell on Larry to get season 3 underway despite not achieving the full ownership goals he's envisioned. Half way through season 3 Larry gets the shits and pulls the plug. Russell and Larry have an acrimonious fallout and Russell laments what could have been if only more people had bought into his vision.

The Gp fleet end up in the Caribbean as charter boats with soft sails, run by Smackers who of course totally fucks things up, whereas the boats are put up for auction then scrapped when nobody wants them. Smackers ends up in court for the rest of his life being sued by everyone for misrepresentation and endless bullshit.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

you never planned to watch it, unless it was in NZ .

• Downvote 2
7 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

you never planned to watch it, unless it was in NZ .

Yur off base cuz. NAC is American I reckon, and was very interested in the first season. Pay attention before making trivial slags, enough of that here already.

10 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

I'm curious about the details of his "ownership" model. What exactly will the teams own - the physical assets - boat and wing? Or is it just the right to participate? A somewhat intangible asset. With the Gp management still overseeing the event and having the ability to change things at a whim, how will that affect the perceived value of owning a team? You're effectively buying something you have no control of. Not sure how enticing that will be to prospective owners. I'm sure Russell has a package in place that answers most of these questions, and it's not as like he's ever done anything dodgy in his sailing/business career........

He's selling the costs ....... clever!

15 minutes ago, nav said:

He's selling the costs

Looks that way. The Owners will pay crew salaries, the majority if not all of the logistics, as well as chipping in for development. They'll earn by selling logo space on the wings and hulls. SGP management will pocket from the broadcast rights and subscriptions, plus a management fee I guess. They may even try to list if it has value. This is why they're pushing the viewer numbers, hit rates etc. Those will need to be big if this is to be viable, but I'm very skeptical of this model working with this kind of product. Sail boat racing is still so niche compared to motor sport, soccer, NFL etc where that model works.

16 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

There is no income from broadcast,  just big big costs!

Yes, a million per event apparently. Helicopters, drones, on water crews, and post production etc. To be honest I'm not sure how they're going to leverage this thing into revenue.

28 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Yes, a million per event apparently. Helicopters, drones, on water crews, and post production etc. To be honest I'm not sure how they're going to leverage this thing into revenue.

Yup, its how long the almost richest man in the world wants to play now at throwing cash away. Can't see it really just to keep Russell happy. Russell has plenty stashed away so no need to feel sorry for him. Boat builders in Warkworth have done alright as well as have several hundred in the yachting industry. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, barfy said:

Yur off base cuz. NAC is American I reckon, and was very interested in the first season. Pay attention before making trivial slags, enough of that here already.

i wasn't talking to you.

I am sure you have a very clever point but it escapes me.

BTW I have never been to Auckland or even North Island. And Barfy is correct that I am American. I've been a big fan of SGP teams but not the management decisionmaking.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:09 PM, NeedAClew said:

The 1.8 billion people "connecting with it online" bit could be anything

No, it's all OTV, which no one uses for any purpose because it has no relationship to reality.  He's using the same metric as the one that produced the "36 Billion Audience" number for a world cup a few years ago.

On 1/25/2020 at 8:47 PM, winchfodder said:

He has made his point and in the process created a fleet of truly spectacular catamarans and supported a large part of the NZ marine industry. 

What was the point again?

• Like 1
Just now, Bentley the Badger said:

Got a minute? Want a laugh? Give this is watch... I'm genuinely lost for words.

:o:lol::D:):unsure::o   :wub:

Metoo...

Maybe they will succeed if they turn the Circus into a Game !

6 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Metoo...

They already have.  The game is called "Watch us spend as much money as we can before this ship sinks."  Most of us have seen it played before.  And before that.  And before that.

2 hours ago, Bentley the Badger said:

Oh dear God. So the target audience need never have seen an ocean or a boat irl, just get excited by the e-sports aspect. Watch it at the newstand, at work, in the bar, on the subway.  Especially in dark urban settings.

I hope the teams understand they need to provide bow stuffs, capsizes, near misses and such since just racing is false advertising, lacking spills thrills and crashes.

But if you want to buy tix for SanFran  there is 20% off thru 5 pm PST Wednesday  via US Sailing offer code  SFSGP20

1 hour ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Metoo...

They already have, tried to anyway. They advertise a multiplayer game but tried the download and could not find the SGP option and it crashed.  Needs work if that is going to be the revenue engine via in app purchases.

20 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Oh dear God. So the target audience need never have seen an ocean or a boat irl, just get excited by the e-sports aspect. Watch it at the newstand, at work, in the bar, on the subway.  Especially in dark urban settings.

I hope the teams understand they need to provide bow stuffs, capsizes, near misses and such since just racing is false advertising, lacking spills thrills and crashes.

But if you want to buy tix for SanFran  there is 20% off thru 5 pm PST Wednesday  via US Sailing offer code  SFSGP20

At this rate they might not even finish this season. That promo video shows desperation. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Watch it at the newstand, at work, in the bar, on the subway.  Especially in dark urban settings.

Funnily enough, they didn't show people who read about it a couple of days later because they don't want to sign up to a subscription service and have been geo-blocked from watching it any other way!

lol I saw more women and people of color from underrepresented locales than all of SailGP & AC34/35.

I'm thinking of some poor sod working at a container welding factory without eye pro & respirators casually pulling out his cellphone to look at... not basketball or soccer - but... SAIL GP!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Miffy said:

lol I saw more women and people of color from underrepresented locales than all of SailGP & AC34/35.

I'm thinking of some poor sod working at a container welding factory without eye pro & respirators casually pulling out his cellphone to look at... not basketball or soccer - but... SAIL GP!

Probably an increase in industrial accidents due to riveting action :)

2 hours ago, nav said:

That's a fantagasm all right.....but I think they missed at least 2, maybe 3 demographic groups

I guess when you're going to boast that 256 Million people watch your event, you can't just stick to overweight white guys.

Well, while it lasts...sweet story from my news feed on Inspire in NSW. Kids excited to see green grass, never been sailing, expecting to die...loved it. NSW has been hammered.

https://www.lakesmail.com.au/story/6602645/world-champion-sailors-key-lesson-for-absolute-beginners-photos-video/

I hope that team gets sponsors.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, Bentley the Badger said:

RC told me none of that was staged.  It was a compilation of true reactions that just happened to be caught on video.  100% authentic!  

• Like 2

As SomeoneDeartous will no doubt expand upon, this shows just one facet of the true genius that is the SGP management. The foresight to have operatives posted around the world (or maybe just in one city's ethnic neighborhoods?) to capture the spontaneous tension, excitement, joy that SGP brings to even a first time viewer. 

The genius. The vision. The expense.  

34 minutes ago, efrank said:

RC told me none of that was staged.  It was a compilation of true reactions that just happened to be caught on video.  100% authentic!  

As SomeoneDeartous will no doubt expand upon, this shows just one facet of the true genius that is the SGP management. The foresight to have operatives posted around the world (or maybe just in one city's ethnic neighborhoods?) to capture the spontaneous tension, excitement, joy that SGP brings to even a first time viewer. 

The genius. The vision. The expense.  

Thanks. Lare Bear, The Coutts, and I were hanging out, sparked one up, and Bam the plan unfolded.

• Like 1

This video is hilarious. I just love how invested all the ethnically-diverse global fans are in the outcome of the races... It's so deeply cringe-worthy...

It's like a bought off-the-shelf, ready-made, stock-footage [insert your sport here] promo.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, KoW said:

This video is hilarious. I just love how invested all the ethnically-diverse global fans are in the outcome of the races... It's so deeply cringe-worthy...

It's like a bought off-the-shelf, ready-made, stock-footage [insert your sport here] promo.

I've been in those rooms before. here's how the conversation goes:

Russell: "I am having real trouble getting anywhere near our asking price from these venues in Europe, San Fran, and the UK."

[Comms director] Christy : "What's the sticking point, Mr. Coutts?

Russell: "They keep saying that the public won't accept spending their tax money on a rich privileged sport with no women and no minorities."

Christy: "Well, they're kind of right."

Russell: "Sure, but we teach young black fellas to sail too!"

Christy: "I don't know if the 33 people of color you've put on a boat for ten minutes are going to cut it"

Russell: "I wish we could just do all the events in Russia, Miami, and Houston.  They prefer our whiteness!"

Christy: "If we do that, we can't ever go back to scandinavia or cowes though."

Russell: "What about spectators? Do we have any video of minorities watching SailGP that we can promote the hell out of to prove our intersectionality?"

Christy: "There was that guy in Bermuda, but he was..."

Russell: "DON'T SAY THAT WORD EVER AGAIN"

Christy: "Let me go and find some black people on Shutterstock. Matt, can you make a video showing people of color watching SailGP"

Matt: "That'll be extra"

• Like 4

That guy in Bermuda. Love you, dude.

Just saw SGP USA promo video. It starts with voice over of JFK talking about the sea, from  an America's Cup referential sound bite. That is pretty crass imho. Just breathtakingly crass. For those that have context. Most of their targets don't. If they ever do one with MLK may they all rot in hell.

BTW, Spain does not seem to feature "presenting partner" lololoolollool

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I've been in those rooms before. here's how the conversation goes:

Russell: "I am having real trouble getting anywhere near our asking price from these venues in Europe, San Fran, and the UK."

[Comms director] Christy : "What's the sticking point, Mr. Coutts?

Russell: "They keep saying that the public won't accept spending their tax money on a rich privileged sport with no women and no minorities."

Christy: "Well, they're kind of right."

Russell: "Sure, but we teach young black fellas to sail too!"

Christy: "I don't know if the 33 people of color you've put on a boat for ten minutes are going to cut it"

Russell: "I wish we could just do all the events in Russia, Miami, and Houston.  They prefer our whiteness!"

Christy: "If we do that, we can't ever go back to scandinavia or cowes though."

Russell: "What about spectators? Do we have any video of minorities watching SailGP that we can promote the hell out of to prove our intersectionality?"

Christy: "There was that guy in Bermuda, but he was..."

Russell: "DON'T SAY THAT WORD EVER AGAIN"

Christy: "Let me go and find some black people on Shutterstock. Matt, can you make a video showing people of color watching SailGP"

Matt: "That'll be extra"

now that is funny.

• Like 2

It does.  Not that I'd turn him down if Grant called me to do a couple months work.  I could get the time off, the managing partner is a Melges sailor, but there's no way that cheap sumbitch would pay my rates

• Like 1

Well SGP has produced a coffee table book. Have not seen them hawking it so must be a gift for rich friends. Hope it's profitable in terms of sponsor dollars. Or will we see them on Amazon used for 99 cents?

Librarian of SGP.jpg

To misappropriate the vernacular of my teenager, that video is a work of remarkable cringeyness. 

I do wish them the best though. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants there to be an entertaining series of close and fast sailboat racing in culturally interesting and wind-appropriate locations, more modern than 18 foot skiffs but also financially sustainable and which occurs more often than the AC. I still think the M32 series that Mr Clean commented for in Scandinavia was awesome and with the right venues and more crew experience SailGP could be even better. But how to get there????

5 minutes ago, Foiling Optimist said:

But how to get there????

Better management and business plan?

LE actually does maintain interest and investment in distressed properties that he can turn around, like Indian Wells, hotels. 

SGP might be turnable.

Better management and business plan?

LE actually does maintain interest and investment in distressed properties that he can turn around, like Indian Wells, hotels. 

SGP might be turnable.

i would say substantially more time on the boats for the sailors would help their cause.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Not photoshopped. I think they do not know it's a joke.

the guy who produces those books does a nice job. Not sure how many buyers there are, but if its anything like my VOR book, it's worth having around.  Even if it's two times 0.99!

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

the guy who produces those books does a nice job. Not sure how many buyers there are, but if its anything like my VOR book, it's worth having around.  Even if it's two times 0.99!

Dongfeng produced excellent books after each of their VOR campaigns. Both were intended as give aways to supporters, backers and helpers as souvenirs and to the best of my knowledge never went on to public sale. A lot of work and excellently done. Would be curious to see the quality of the SailGP books having seen some of their other promo work -  including this latest video which I don't even know how to start describing. When you compare it to the VOR videos of even 10 years ago it is (sadly) somewhat lacking

18 hours ago, efrank said:

My first reaction was of disbelief. It just didn't look like a sailing audience. If Russell said so..! Having said that I don't understand the negativity towards Sail GP? The front page by the ED is typical of someone trying to shoot the sport down. No matter what you think of SailGP why bash someone who is trying to take sailing mainstream? Don't get it..............:wub:

15 minutes ago, basildog said:

If they use that ad here in Aus it will be targeting a non existent audience.   I don't believe we have that many people of colour here.

Yup bloody amazing how the unrelenting national pursuit of racially discriminatory policy can alter the colour of the indigenous landscape.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, terrafirma said:

My first reaction was of disbelief. It just didn't look like a sailing audience. If Russell said so..! Having said that I don't understand the negativity towards Sail GP? The front page by the ED is typical of someone trying to shoot the sport down. No matter what you think of SailGP why bash someone who is trying to take sailing mainstream? Don't get it..............:wub:

You...do know that was tongue in cheek?

Or perhaps I'm not fully appreciating the dryness of your sarcasm.

I can't begin to consider what quantity of cash was wasted on that ad. Until each one of these boats is covered wall to wall with sponsor stickers, sustaining a slew of individual ad revenue streams about 100 clients thick, this event is at risk. Stop marketing and start selling out. Sell out completely and then build more capacity to continue selling out. These boats need to look like nascar cars or the insides of baseball stadiums.

DRC

Yankee stadium advertizing.jpg

8 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

The SailGP Design Team.

My bad Basiliscus.  It looked an awful lot like one of the concept drawings I saw during the BDA runup and I stupidly assumed it was the same design. 

I stand corrected.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:39 AM, KoW said:

New  'FOOTAGE' product for Shutterstock?

On 1/31/2020 at 9:39 AM, KoW said:

You mean RC didn't just capture it all himself, on his cellphone, during a night out on the streets, y'know, like you do...?

7 hours ago, NeedAClew said:

Whatever fools did that SGP video, can their asses and go with whoever did this one 

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6073375299001/

NASCAR Wives, debunking old stereotypes about NASCAR not being loving and inclusive, the importance of rabid loyalty to your driver, dealing with danger...

Have I really just watched something on Fox News? :wacko::blink:

Thanks @NeedAClew, very well done teaser and interesting strategy for NASCAR. 

Well, this actually WILL crank up some interest in the e-gaming world

https://www.sail-world.com/news/226235/Third-eSailing-World-Championship-season-launched

Especially the e-sailing for cash prize of $10K that RC cleverly pried out of Virtual Regatta. There are in-app purchases.

Now I don't know if the gamers will go watch the actual real regattas or what the overlap between e-sailors and water based sailors is, but that should work. IF the game works for the real gamers. Does not work on my devices.

Notice of race link and e-sailing link has bad certs so did not open it.

Correction: the prize may be overall VR contestants not just SGP. 

On 2/2/2020 at 1:36 PM, NeedAClew said:

Whatever fools did that SGP video, can their asses and go with whoever did this one 

http://video.foxnews.com/v/6073375299001/

NASCAR Wives, debunking old stereotypes about NASCAR not being loving and inclusive, the importance of rabid loyalty to your driver, dealing with danger...

Why is she drinking out of a vase?

C6E13CE0-BF0E-4162-A1FB-5BD6F5CAB304.jpeg