1976 Dufour 24 - Anyone know about this boat

woahboy

There is a '76 Dufour 24 in my area that looks to be in fairly good condition. Having trouble finding reliable information online, though. Anyone here familiar with this boat? 

The Japanese guy in the slip next to me has one. He sails it solo and 2-up, sometimes with his kids all over south SF Bay practically very weekend during the summer.  It's not as fast as my S2 7.9 except in really light air, but it's not  THAT much slower.  Besides the fun factor per dollar is high, here.  His boat has an outboard, but I know some came with inboard diesels.

Thank you for all of the replies. This one has an outboard. If I decide to purchase it perhaps a restore thread? 

24 minutes ago, monsoon said:

It looks very...........................French.

I read somewhere where only a half of a dozen or so made it over here. Now I wonder what the heck it's doing in the middle of north Texas?

It's an old quarter-tonner that got turned into a family racer-cruiser.  In that way, it's not that different from umptyizzle  other 23-25 foot racer-cruisers of it's era.  Seitaros' has a pretty nice interior. It sails just fine. No, I wouldn't take it solo across the North Atlantic.  No I wouldn't expect to beat a Melges 24 on a deep power reach.  If you look it over closely and make sure there aren't any big-bill issues in there, then it's a perfectly fine boat for daysailing, overnights and club racing.

6 hours ago, woahboy said:

Thank you for all of the replies. This one has an outboard. If I decide to purchase it perhaps a restore thread? 

Indeed!

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Indeed!

And Ill be sure to ask you for help. Really liked your rebuild thread. Very inspiring.

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

It's an old quarter-tonner that got turned into a family racer-cruiser.  In that way, it's not that different from umptyizzle  other 23-25 foot racer-cruisers of it's era.  Seitaros' has a pretty nice interior. It sails just fine. No, I wouldn't take it solo across the North Atlantic.  No I wouldn't expect to beat a Melges 24 on a deep power reach.  If you look it over closely and make sure there aren't any big-bill issues in there, then it's a perfectly fine boat for daysailing, overnights and club racing.

1 hour ago, Alan H said:

I’m just looking for something that SWMBO and Me will enjoy fixing up and sailing. The aforementioned has never been sailing in her life. 

My first "Charge" as a 17 year old was a 1975 Dufour 28.   Different boat but same era.  Well built and ergonomics ahead of its time.  Love those Dufours of that generation.  Should serve you well assuming it holds no surprises.

On 4/18/2018 at 11:51 AM, woahboy said:

I say go for it. Everyone loves a good 4ktsb rehab thread. I've done a few of them myself.

I don't know anything about older Dufours, so I'd find it interesting.

On 19/04/2018 at 2:29 PM, sail69 said:

My first "Charge" as a 17 year old was a 1975 Dufour 28.   Different boat but same era.  Well built and ergonomics ahead of its time.  Love those Dufours of that generation.  Should serve you well assuming it holds no surprises.

The Dufours of that era (70s) are generally well designed and very well built. Of special mention are the bigger 30' Arpege ones.

The present state would depend from owner to owner.

• 4 months later...

Sorry so long to post anything new. Have been looking at this but am wondering does anyone know what type of core the deck has? No bad spots but just curious. It's still available and I am waiting for the seller to lower the price even further. I don't have any photos to post but if you look at the CL ad you can see where there has been leakage throughout. And a whole lot of mildew.

2 hours ago, woahboy said:

Sorry so long to post anything new. Have been looking at this but am wondering does anyone know what type of core the deck has? No bad spots but just curious. It's still available and I am waiting for the seller to lower the price even further. I don't have any photos to post but if you look at the CL ad you can see where there has been leakage throughout. And a whole lot of mildew.

Linky?

4 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Definitely needs a cleanup, and another colour of paint. Nothing looks unfixable, however.

00x0x_dHZb485nqpD_1200x900.jpg

We’ll see how the red cleans up. If not was thinking commodore blue.

$1,895? Here's a link to one that appears to have been well cared for with a 9.9 Evinrude electric start, newish sails, $5,500, but no trailer

https://semiahmoomarina.com/dufour-24-sailboat-5500/

For the one you're looking at, I would figure new sails, new cabin cushions, OB, so you're easily over $5,500.

If the trailer is in decent shape, $1,895 might be a decent deal. If there are any core or blister issues, not so good. $1,100, subject to a survey, would leave you with more money to spend on stuff!

If you buy her, please promise you'll put on a barrier coat. She's probably pretty dry now.

Fall is a nice time to start a renovation project!

On 9/16/2018 at 12:15 AM, Ishmael said:

It doesn't matter how the red cleans up. A nice dove grey might be nice.

+1

Also, there are some nice topside paints which give a good looking finish, even by an amateur. Talk to Jamestown Distributors.

43 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Here's a link to one that appears to have been well cared for with a 9.9 Evinrude electric start, newish sails, $5,500, but no trailer

https://semiahmoomarina.com/dufour-24-sailboat-5500/

That boat looks very well-loved.  Only one pic, but if she is genuinely as tidy as she seems, then she'd be a lovely pocket cruiser even at full price

Thank you, Bull. Gorgeous example. Unfortunately it’s a mite far away from Texas. 

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

+1

Also, there are some nice topside paints which give a good looking finish, even by an amateur. Talk to Jamestown Distributors.

Thanks again, Bull. I’ll do that.

1 hour ago, woahboy said:

Thank you, Bull. Gorgeous example. Unfortunately it’s a mite far away from Texas. 

I understand, I was only bringing it up as a point of comparison. HOWEVER, if you think about it... a nice, clean, well cared for Dufour 24 for $5000 +/-, plus transport, might be a better deal than one in poor condition, needing lots of elbow grease and sails, cushions, OB, etc. It's pretty easy to get a transport estimate.

I think the Dufour 24 would make a really nice racer/cruiser.

P.S. in my H-Boat quest, I opted for a sound boat in RI, needing cosmetics, vs a local boat that had some core issues. I'll never know whether I made the right call, but I'm happy.

Just wish I had done the barrier coat.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I didn't act fast enough and it appears that the Dufour has been sold. I came across another "affordable" boat in the local craigs list. 
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/starwind-27-sailboat/6716285997.html

It's designed by Jim Taylor. I'm not familiar with him but it did get reviewed by our esteemed Mr. Perry.
http://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/starwind-27/

Sailboat data mentions that it was built by Chrysler Marine. Other than that I can't find anything about the build quality. Oh, as the ad states the inboard has been removed. Perhaps be easy to mount an outboard. I appreciate all of the good replies I have been receiving.

I'd suggest befriending the local dockmasters and marina owners, and inquiring about abandoned boats.  Around here there are MANY boats that have not had any attention for years, and are sitting rotting where they are.  Periodically the marinas crush boats (not even attempting to salvage anything but the lead) and haul them off.  I know of at least 5 boats on our small creek that could be taken off the marina's hands with a stroke of a pen.  I forget his name, but he's a frequent poster on here, runs a boat repair shop near Lake Travis. (Anyone?) He'd be a resource. 

1 hour ago, GMiller said:

I'd suggest befriending the local dockmasters and marina owners, and inquiring about abandoned boats.  Around here there are MANY boats that have not had any attention for years, and are sitting rotting where they are.  Periodically the marinas crush boats (not even attempting to salvage anything but the lead) and haul them off.  I know of at least 5 boats on our small creek that could be taken off the marina's hands with a stroke of a pen.  I forget his name, but he's a frequent poster on here, runs a boat repair shop near Lake Travis. (Anyone?) He'd be a resource. 

Paging @Gouvernail

10 hours ago, woahboy said:

Sailboat data mentions that it was built by Chrysler Marine.

Whoa! Too bad about the Dufour. Chrysler makes shitty cars and made shitty boats. Wheel on 27' is well, kind of pretentious. It looks tubby. Don't do it. Runaway! You'll thank me.

21 hours ago, woahboy said:

Well, I didn't act fast enough and it appears that the Dufour has been sold. I came across another "affordable" boat in the local craigs list. 
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/boa/d/starwind-27-sailboat/6716285997.html

It's designed by Jim Taylor. I'm not familiar with him but it did get reviewed by our esteemed Mr. Perry.
http://tayloryachtdesigns.com/designs/starwind-27/

Sailboat data mentions that it was built by Chrysler Marine. Other than that I can't find anything about the build quality. Oh, as the ad states the inboard has been removed. Perhaps be easy to mount an outboard. I appreciate all of the good replies I have been receiving.

Don't rush. There's a gazillion boats out there.

And whatever the Internet says, Chrysler did not build Starwinds. They were built by a motorboat company that wanted in on the sailing boom in the early/mid 1970s. Nor were Chrysler sailboats uniformly shitty.

FB- Doug

Thank you for the replies. May have to go and have a look at it. From the photos it appears to be pretty clean. 

Archived