The debate over assault weapons

17 hours ago, jocal505 said:

You did not, Dogballs. Pics or it didn't happen. 

Let's review: the invitation was for you to bring your precious, and to join up with the NFAC, a trending, vibrant, omniporesent militia, cut to your own specs.

No, those idiots seem to think pointing guns at other people is OK as long as you mount a flashlight on the gun. That's very far from my own specs. Seems kinda immature and volatile to me. How about you?

Now, getting back to the subject you raised before this deflection,

I did.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:23 AM, jocal505 said:

AW wounds are significantly worse than other firearm wounds. Is that "ludicrous," or not?

Is it ludicrous if this is the AW in question?

SWVictoryFlower.jpg

Simple question. Obvious answer.

You can't and won't answer it because gungrabbiness/TeamD.

That's my favorite kind of question.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tom, please recall that most of us stopped being polite to you after you humorously called for the regulation of Dodge Challengers like the one used in the Charlottesville murder.  It's crypto-Na

So race baiting is calling you out for your own history of racist posts, Joe? Or is the "race-baiting" the part where everyone reads your words and ascribes a racist intent to it, even if that wa

And keep the guns locked up or in your possession.  Kids have friends who come over.

Posted Images

On 11/16/2021 at 11:25 PM, Seriatim Tom said:

Is it ludicrous if this is the AW in question?

SWVictoryFlower.jpg

Good job. This will do, my friend. Now, bring it, with all your mojo, to Grandmaster Jay, and the NFAC. I'm not sure, but I suspect there is no enrolment or muster involved. 

NFAC_07-18-05.25.10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It’s nice to see reasonable gun control laws upheld.  Much more is needed.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article256224537.html

The panel of judges on Tuesday noted that, in the past half-century, large-capacity magazines have been used in about three-quarters of gun massacres with 10 or more deaths and in 100% of gun massacres with 20 or more deaths. Furthermore, the judges wrote, more than twice as many people have been killed or injured in mass shootings that involved a large-capacity magazine as compared with mass shootings that involved a smaller-capacity magazine. “California’s ban on large-capacity magazines imposes only a minimal burden on the exercise of the Second Amendment right. The law has no effect whatsoever on which firearms may be owned; as far as the challenged statute is concerned, anyone may own any firearm at all. Owners of firearms also may possess as many firearms, bullets, and magazines as they choose,” the court wrote in its opinion, spearheaded by Judge Susan P Graber.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article256224537.html#storylink=cpy

On 11/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, Olsonist said:

image.thumb.png.841bb2b8186b4270ddc3397e7e2f8c88.png

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Court-upholds-California-ban-on-high-capacity-16663410.php

Oh deer. Tom will be so upset. He'll probably pick up stakes and move to Florida.

There's a thread where that case is under discussion, so I commented there.

But since you're here, I'm still wondering what point you were trying to make with this post?

On 9/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, Olsonist said:

It also absolves individuals of the LIABILITY FOR USE by others. So if your roommate steals your keys and bypasses your 'secure gun storage' and uses your gun to holdup a liquor store, you're totally good. But if your roommate steals your keys and runs over a little old lady with your car, well that's what you have liability insurance for.

Seems to me to have something to do with gun owners' responsibility for the actions of criminals, but I'm not quite sure what the overall point is. Please explain.

13 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I thought this kind of shit was illegal.

Your ignorance is showing again. Or still. Not sure which.

Fully automatic weapons are only for the rich ever since Saint Ronald closed the registry in 1986.

But he didn't close it "Canadian style," where the guns are confiscated once the registry is closed.

You just can't register any MORE, but the couple hundred thousand of them already out there in 1986 are grandfathered in and can be owned, sold, and bought (by rich people only due to the restricted supply, but there's nothing racist or regressive or troubling about that.)

But at least you managed to find common ground with Trump.

Trump: Throw Rep. Thomas Massie out of Republican Party

NO CIVILIAN should ever own a weapon like this. In the wrong hands, it would be catastrophic!

That guy is lucky he's talking to non-readers and other ignorami.

Readers know there are hundreds of thousands of legal machine guns in the US in private hands and we know all about the many resulting catastrophes!

(We carefully hide them so no one can find out about them. Don't tell anyone.)

1 hour ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

That guy is lucky he's talking to non-readers and other ignorami.

Readers know there are hundreds of thousands of legal machine guns in the US in private hands and we know all about the many resulting catastrophes!

(We carefully hide them so no one can find out about them. Don't tell anyone.)

You are a cutesy mess, Tom. You are not worth reading now.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, Olsonist said:

image.thumb.png.841bb2b8186b4270ddc3397e7e2f8c88.png

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Court-upholds-California-ban-on-high-capacity-16663410.php

Oh deer. Tom will be so upset. He'll probably pick up stakes and move to Florida.

Big Temporary is not so big now. The stream of Benitez ' opinions is, simply put, poorly developed, and not very mature, IMO.

Bonta noted that the court's majority said every mass shooting with 20 or more deaths in the last 50 years involved large-capacity magazines, as did about three-quarters of those with 10 or more deaths. More than twice as many people were killed or injured in mass shootings with high-capacity magazines than those with less firepower, the court said.

(…)

Gun groups estimated that more than a million high-capacity magazines may have legally flooded into California during a one-week window before Benitez stayed his ruling pending appeal. The three-judge 9th Circuit panel upheld Benitez’s ruling and kept the stay in place.

(...) 

Benitez also barred the state from enforcing a voter-approved law that would have prohibited gun owners from possessing magazines holding more than 10 bullets. The practical impact was that those who already possessed weapons with such magazines would have had to turn them in.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, jocal505 said:

Gun groups estimated that more than a million high-capacity magazines may have legally flooded into California during a one-week window before Benitez stayed his ruling pending appeal. The three-judge 9th Circuit panel upheld Benitez’s ruling and kept the stay in place.

More than a million unfortunate boating accidents reported in the last week in California.

On 12/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Ishmael said:

I thought this kind of shit was illegal.

Stopping the ongoing catastrophe of private machine gun ownership could get interesting.

I thought there were only a few hundred thousand of them but was wrong:

Through May of 2019, there are 699,977 registered machine guns in the U.S.

Prices are wildly varied but my guess at an average is $10k or so. These people have lawyers and will not politely accept the usual practice of declaring their ownership of their property a public nuisance and demanding it be surrendered.

They're going to want to go the Aussie/Canadian way and get paid.

Let's see: 700,000 guns times 10k each. Govt size numbers wreck my brain before the second cup is finished. It's a big number.

On 11/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, jocal505 said:

Good job. This will do, my friend. Now, bring it, with all your mojo, to Grandmaster Jay, and the NFAC. I'm not sure, but I suspect there is no enrolment or muster involved. 

NFAC_07-18-05.25.10.jpg

Looks like a "well regulated militia" to me. They are ALMOST mostly in step.  Their marching could be a bit more "regulated" to my eye - but close enough for gov't work.  

I gotta laugh every time someone suggest they just casually go door to door in America and ask for all their guns or that we'll just drive by and throw them in a pile..... 

Gun confiscation team unloads at the top of the street:

"Tom, you got house 456, go take their guns 'cause according to records they have 6 AR-15s, 3 AK-47s, a .308, a 30-06, a 50 cal, 5 shot guns and more pistols than I can name. You got that, right?"

"Oh, don't forget to say please!"

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2020/07/27/louisville-protests-nfac-leader-explains-accidental-discharge/5520115002/

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The leader of the Black militia that marched in Louisville on Saturday said the accidental discharge that hit three people before the group's march happened because a group member dropped his weapon after passing out from the heat."

Louisville protests: NFAC leader explains accidental discharge

Rock stars in the world of Americanos gun nutters...

55 minutes ago, Keith said:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2020/07/27/louisville-protests-nfac-leader-explains-accidental-discharge/5520115002/

"LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The leader of the Black militia that marched in Louisville on Saturday said the accidental discharge that hit three people before the group's march happened because a group member dropped his weapon after passing out from the heat."

\Louisville protests: NFAC leader explains accidental discharge

Rock stars in the world of Americanos gun nutters...

Edit: so says a canadian!!!

BS - guns don't fire by themselves.....

even when dropped!!! 

It's been that way for a looooooong time!

21 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Edit: so says a canadian!!!

BS - guns don't fire by themselves.....

even when dropped!!! 

It's been that way for a looooooong time!

Sometimes ya just cant fix stupid...

This story is from The American, "Louisville Courier Journal"

5 hours ago, Ishmael said:

California takes a page from Texas' book.

As if further proof were needed that Gungrabbiness Uber Alles is the guiding TeamD principle.

Unlike gun nuts, who rushed to defend TX abortions before anyone, Gov Newsom is perfectly willing to accept the silly TX scheme and throw women wanting abortions under the bus if it means some gungrabbing can occur. Because TeamD!

14 hours ago, Liquid said:

I gotta laugh every time someone suggest they just casually go door to door in America and ask for all their guns or that we'll just drive by and throw them in a pile..... 

I would laugh if I saw that suggestion too, but have never seen it. Maybe you can share the source of laughter?

What really happens is, a registry is closed and continued possession of anything unregistered will get you a felony.

Predictably, gun owners don't buy the argument that we're responsible for the actions of criminals and choose to keep the guns and risk the felony. That's why CT has scores of thousands of felons with assault weapons right now, vastly outnumbering their prison population.

• 4 weeks later...

Battlefield .22's and Self Defense

The Long Rifle (“LR”) .22 rimfire round, the most common today, effectively tripled the power of the original .22 Short. As self-contained ammunition advanced, more powerful rounds were developed that had the .22 rimfire’s quick loading advantages, but the .22 LR remained a popular choice for self-defense. A wide-range of small and affordable handguns were available in the caliber and in many rural homesteads, a .22-cal. rifle served triple duty by putting meat on the table, eliminating varmints and dissuading two-legged predators.

The .22 LR has found modern military and law-enforcement applications, especially where noise or over penetration are a consideration. The quietness of the round when suppressed meant it was used by intelligence agencies, like the U.S. Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and British Special Operations Executive (SOE) during World War II. Long-range U.S. bomber crews in the same conflict were issued Stevens 22-410 rifle and shotgun combination guns as survival weapons. Full metal jacketed ammunition was supplied to the flyers, just in case they had to use the .22 LR for defensive purposes.

Military and law enforcement use of .22 LRs continued after the war. U-2 pilots carried a suppressed High Standard .22-cal. pistol. In the 1970s, the British Army issued .22-cal. Walther PPs (designated the L66A1) to their soldiers in Northern Ireland for self-defense while off-duty. The Israelis have used the .22 LR in several law enforcement and military applications. Their air marshals famously carried Beretta Model 71s in .22 LR and successfully used them in several incidents against heavily-armed terrorists attempting to hijack an airliner. The Israelis also modified a version of the ArmaLite AR-7 survival rifle into a “personal defense weapon” for their F4 Phantom pilots.

Definitely suitable militia weapons and thus deserving of the highest level of second amendment protection, at least for readers of the entire second amendment.

Question for the gun guys, a bit off topic, apologies ...

Cleaning up, tossing crap, came across a couple boxes of centerfire 38 automatic ammo. No need for it, it was my dad's handgun, which was then stolen, and I am not a handgun guy. I obviously don't want to throw away live rounds, so I ask several of my friends if anyone can use it. Nada. Incredibly, not one of my friends owns a .38, it's all 9mm and bigger.

So the question ... what happened to the 38? When I was a kid it seemed to be the most common size, with every cop and paranoid homeowner an owner. Why did the 38 seem to go the way the dodo?

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Question for the gun guys, a bit off topic, apologies ...

Cleaning up, tossing crap, came across a couple boxes of centerfire 38 automatic ammo. No need for it, it was my dad's handgun, which was then stolen, and I am not a handgun guy. I obviously don't want to throw away live rounds, so I ask several of my friends if anyone can use it. Nada. Incredibly, not one of my friends owns a .38, it's all 9mm and bigger.

So the question ... what happened to the 38? When I was a kid it seemed to be the most common size, with every cop and paranoid homeowner an owner. Why did the 38 seem to go the way the dodo?

I'll go with higher capacity and better accuracy of modern slide action, semi auto pistols.

8 hours ago, Autonomous said:

.38 ACP, not 38 Super? First one is rare, second one is unusual. Per the description I assume not .38 Special.

I think it isn't the Special. I'll dump the boxes off at the sheriff's office or local gun shop, let them deal with it.

8 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I'll dump the boxes off at the sheriff's office or local gun shop, let them deal with it.

You just made your family a lot safer   . . 

12 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

You just made your family a lot safer   . . 

I dunno, there is no longer a gun for it, it's just the ammo.

I still have two rifles, (including a Dragoon similar to the one that Simo Hayha repelled the Soviets in the Winter War) but I don't keep ammo for them in the house for safety. I'm not really a gun guy ... given the choice between guns or dirt bikes/snowmobiles/skateboards, the guns just don't interest us too much here.

21 hours ago, mikewof said:

I think it isn't the Special. I'll dump the boxes off at the sheriff's office or local gun shop, let them deal with it.

I took some flood damaged ammo to the sheriff's office here. Except the lady behind the bulletproof glass in the actual office wouldn't let me just leave it there. She had to call a cop off the road to come get it. So I wound up hanging around in the parking lot for half an hour before handing over the ammo. Waste of my time and his and tax money. Next time I think I'll just toss it in a fire.

1 hour ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

Waste of my time and his and tax money. Next time I think I'll just toss it in a fire.

you poor unfortunate snowflake  

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

you poor unfortunate snowflake  

You think Cliff's ammo with no gun is a danger to his family and I'm the snowflake?

I just think that letting me leave it in the lobby and having someone come from the back to grab it would be sensible, but I guess snowflakes are scared of boxes of ammo, so...

On 1/9/2022 at 11:58 AM, mikewof said:

centerfire 38 automatic ammo

This is a bit confusing, Mike.

What does it say on the box ? ( IE 380ACP ?)

You can simply pull the bullets, and dump  the powder in your yard.

9 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

snowflake

Feel free to STFU, professor, until you can stand up.

3 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

This is a bit confusing, Mike.

What does it say on the box ? ( IE 380ACP ?)

You can simply pull the bullets, and dump  the powder in your yard.

Good idea, I guess I could save the powder for the next time there is no fire danger, and make some homemade firework fountains with aluminum shavings.

Boxes shows 95 grain metal case, L380AP, not spl, right?

3 hours ago, Lochnerian Tom said:

You think Cliff's ammo with no gun is a danger to his family and I'm the snowflake?

I just think that letting me leave it in the lobby and having someone come from the back to grab it would be sensible, but I guess snowflakes are scared of boxes of ammo, so...

They likely just didn't want to take responsibility for it Normy ... kinda like a homeless person or an old dog with one eye.

I like Mike's idea ... when I was a kid I made my own black power for homebrew fireworks. It wasn't great quality, but I had a lot of fun with it.

! ! !    B A N G   ! ! !

...oh fukk.....

L680AP  found this;

L380AP - Remington UMC .380ACP 95GR FMJ 50rds 047700067506 | gun.deals

If you have calipers, measure case length.

case length (in)
380 ACP  .680in
9mm    .754
38 Super.900

https://reloadammo.com/reloading-380-auto/

After you pull the bullets & save the powder , remember the primers.

I put a foamy earplug into a 9mm case (no powder) as an experimental         "nerf boolitt "  once, and aimed it at the garage door. 

WOW !! ,  _nearly_ as loud as my 115gr load.

My wife came out and chewed my ass.

;)  put a drop or two of oil in each case to inert the primers.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:40 PM, Mike in Seattle said:

I put a foamy earplug into a 9mm case (no powder) as an experimental         "nerf boolitt "  once, and aimed it at the garage door. 

WOW !! ,  _nearly_ as loud as my 115gr load.

My wife came out and chewed my ass.

Heh. You deserved it. My dad used primer-only .22 rounds to kill squirrels that were after his fruit trees. There was a hawk that knew about this policy and would follow him around, waiting.

My Beeman air rifle has fiber cleaning pellets. You stuff about 5 of them into the barrel and fire to give it a final wipe after cleaning. They weigh almost nothing and have lots of wind resistance, so will only fly a short distance and won't hit anything with much force.

Not wanting to clean up the fiber pellets, I decided to contain them by shooting at the vinyl siding on my house. Went right through, now a duct tape patch imprisons the pellets.

s

4 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Not wanting to clean up the fiber pellets, I decided to contain them by shooting at the vinyl siding on my house. Went right through, now a duct tape patch imprisons the pellets.

i was reading away, and encountered the white trash element 

I am confident that Tom would use masking tape that would match the color of his siding.

The foamy earplug was green when I put it in the case, 

, but black & burnt looking when I picked it up.

,,  but NO hole in the garage door,,

:P  so Heh,  yer own self.

2 minutes ago, Mike in Seattle said:

I am confident that Tom would use masking tape that would match the color of his siding.

It was silver duct tape over grey siding, so pretty close. It eventually became threadbare and I put a piece of "100 mph tape" on. Aluminum, but apparently not as good as the stuff my dad used to use to repair his car. Checking in this morning, I see that the metal has peeled and it's just clear plastic now. Time to go back to the silver duct tape. Thanks for the reminder.

Underneath the plastic, the whole place is sheathed in now-extinct Dade County hard pine. This old house is worth a lot more in pieces but I like it this way.

Hey, at least Joe is willing to call me "white" trash, not the immature and volatile kind.

2 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Hey, at least Joe is willing to call me "white" trash, not the immature and volatile kind.

Here's a serious request. Tell us about the payback for six years of race-baiting, because there must be one.  Please explain your attraction to this pattern. Thanks, Dogballs.

Well, the actual cartoon in play is some guy, blasting away at his building's Dade Pine vinyl siding, like a jackass, with one his firearm toys, then resorting to duct tape as a repair... then tossing out some signature race-baiting. YMMV. @Pertinacious Tom

On 1/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, Mike in Seattle said:

I'm a bit confused why they would issue a suppressed pistol to U2 drivers.

Because if they ejected, a U2 pilot most likely would be in territory he/she wasn't supposed to be in or anywhere near.  And not somewhere that would be easy to send a rescue helo to come get them, unlike a "normal" combat zone.  Think North Korea, Russia, China, etc.  

So they would be expected to evade capture for a significant amount of time on the ground.  So having a suppressed pistol makes sense in that context if you think about it.  You might need to pop that one soldier that got too close to your hidey hole without alerting his buddies for miles.  You might also use it to hunt rabbits and squirrels and such to eat - again without alerting the countryside.  Lots good of reasons for it.

1 hour ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

Mmmmm...raw squirrel. So.....tasty!

I'd be a lot less grossed out just throwing down some earthworms myself, and the squirrel wouldn't get the living shit blown out of it.

14 hours ago, Burning Man said:

Because if they ejected, a U2 pilot most likely would be in territory he/she wasn't supposed to be in or anywhere near.  And not somewhere that would be easy to send a rescue helo to come get them, unlike a "normal" combat zone.  Think North Korea, Russia, China, etc.  

So they would be expected to evade capture for a significant amount of time on the ground.  So having a suppressed pistol makes sense in that context if you think about it.  You might need to pop that one soldier that got too close to your hidey hole without alerting his buddies for miles.  You might also use it to hunt rabbits and squirrels and such to eat - again without alerting the countryside.  Lots good of reasons for it.

But the most important thing is to remember to not eat fuzzy caterpillars

- DSK

15 hours ago, bstrdsonofbtl said:

Mmmmm...raw squirrel. So.....tasty!

If you're hungry enough after anough days of not eating - then raw squirrel tastes..... not terrible.  

On 1/20/2022 at 3:35 PM, Burning Man said:

Because if they ejected, a U2 pilot most likely would be in territory he/she wasn't supposed to be in or anywhere near.  ,,,,

Thanks, I guess that makes sense. 

I'm aware of U2 drivers (Gary Powers) getting shot down over Russia.

, and Major Rudolf Anderson killed over Cuba.

China claims five from Taiwan. 

, so a followup question would be, 

? why not sup22 for the sled drivers too ?

On 1/16/2022 at 4:35 AM, Pertinacious Tom said:

Time to go back to the silver duct tape. Thanks for the reminder

Do us all a favor, Tom ?  Find a sharpie marker the same shade of gray as your siding and color the silver tape to match.  

It will make Joe feel better.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:01 AM, 3to1 said:

I'd be a lot less grossed out just throwing down some earthworms myself, and the squirrel wouldn't get the living shit blown out of it.

3bait, eating earthworms is why you are lion bait.

Squirrel gets headshot.

4 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

Thanks, I guess that makes sense. 

I'm aware of U2 drivers (Gary Powers) getting shot down over Russia.

, and Major Rudolf Anderson killed over Cuba.

China claims five from Taiwan. 

, so a followup question would be, 

? why not sup22 for the sled drivers too ?

Do us all a favor, Tom ?  Find a sharpie marker the same shade of gray as your siding and color the silver tape to match.  

3bait, eating earthworms is why you are lion bait.

Squirrel gets headshot.

yea sure, whatever ed gein. 'be veewy kwiet...'

20 hours ago, Mike in Seattle said:

But that would be a reason to do the opposite.

Poor guy, it says "moderate, informed gunowner" under his name but he's none of those things and doesn't even know what a firearm is. An air rifle isn't one, but relying on Joe for gun advice would be like relying on Olsonist to explain liability law. Just no accurate info to be found.

1 hour ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

But that would be a reason to do the opposite.

Poor guy, it says "moderate, informed gunowner" under his name but he's none of those things and doesn't even know what a firearm is. An air rifle isn't one, but relying on Joe for gun advice would be like relying on Olsonist to explain liability law. Just no accurate info to be found.

You shot a hole in your own building? Vinyl siding?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/us/san-jose-gun-law/index.html

"(CNN)San Jose, California, is getting closer to adopting a first-in-the-nation law to address gun violence by requiring all gun owners to pay a fee and carry liability insurance.

The Silicon Valley city's council is due to vote Tuesday on the ordinance, whose dual-pronged approach aims to reduce the risk of gun harm by incentivizing safer behavior and to ease taxpayers of the financial burden of gun violence."

Well this is moving in the right direction....

5 hours ago, Keith said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/us/san-jose-gun-law/index.html

"(CNN)San Jose, California, is getting closer to adopting a first-in-the-nation law to address gun violence by requiring all gun owners to pay a fee and carry liability insurance.

The Silicon Valley city's council is due to vote Tuesday on the ordinance, whose dual-pronged approach aims to reduce the risk of gun harm by incentivizing safer behavior and to ease taxpayers of the financial burden of gun violence."

Well this is moving in the right direction....

They've got some funny ideas about liability of gun and car owners for the actions of criminals out in Cali.

It also absolves individuals of the LIABILITY FOR USE by others. So if your roommate steals your keys and bypasses your 'secure gun storage' and uses your gun to holdup a liquor store, you're totally good. But if your roommate steals your keys and runs over a little old lady with your car, well that's what you have liability insurance for.

This idea seems cut from the same cloth. And really the same fabric of all gungrabbing. Hold peaceful gun owners responsible for the actions of criminals.

That's why peaceful Canadians have to give up their battlefield .22's, isn't it?

So several mass murders drive the mayor to "DO SOMETHING", and yet the only thing he can come up with is to further burden law abiding gun owners with a requirement that will have ZERO effect on mass murders.  Got it.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/27/1076049808/san-jose-passes-law-requiring-gun-owners-to-get-liability-insurance

MARTIN KASTE, BYLINE: After three mass shootings in three years and a jump in the murder rate in 2020, San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo says he felt he had to do something, but what?

KASTE: Parades believes the point of this requirement is just to create new financial and bureaucratic burdens for legal gun owners. And his group and others are going to court to challenge the law before it can take effect in August. Also, as a practical matter, Paredes says you can't get insurance for the kind of gun violence that most people care about.

PAREDES: There isn't an insurance company anywhere in the world that will offer an insurance policy to protect somebody who misuses a firearm.

KASTE: City officials say they're not requiring anyone to get insurance for intentional harm with a gun, just for accidents or negligence. People often have that coverage already with their homeowner's or umbrella liability policies. So how much difference will this new requirement make? William Rosen is managing director of state policy and government affairs at Everytown for Gun Safety. He calls this insurance requirement "creative".

Yeah, "creative" in how much can we fuck with law abiding gun owners who are not committing mass murders.  

Jeff, I'm sure that you'll agree that we have an epidemic of what Tom would refer to as self murders. But I think I have a solution which would bring that number down substantially, maybe even to zero.

When a kablamist wants to off themself, they're gonna get it done. We could try woo woo things like better veterans care but that's kind of expensive socialist stuff. So instead of hopelessly trying to solve what is really a non-problem, just tell them to report to a nearby gun range and say these magic words, the thrill is gone. Then they walk to the back of the range and they become a live target.

Now I know what you're thinking, that that'd be murder, that you'd just be exchanging self murder for, you know, murder murder. But I'm way ahead of you. What you do is you give them a knife and then it's self defense. Problem solved. No more self murders, legit self defense numbers go through the roof. It's all good. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Olsonist said:

Jeff, I'm sure that you'll agree that we have an epidemic of what Tom would refer to as self murders. But I think I have a solution which would bring that number down substantially, maybe even to zero.

When a kablamist wants to off themself, they're gonna get it done. We could try woo woo things like better veterans care but that's kind of expensive socialist stuff. So instead of hopelessly trying to solve what is really a non-problem, just tell them to report to a nearby gun range and say these magic words, the thrill is gone. Then they walk to the back of the range and they become a live target.

Now I know what you're thinking, that that'd be murder, that you'd just be exchanging self murder for, you know, murder murder. But I'm way ahead of you. What you do is you give them a knife and then it's self defense. Problem solved. No more self murders, legit self defense numbers go through the roof. It's all good. What do you think?

Works for me.  Where do I sign up?  

Honestly, my only real tweak to that would be to give him a loaded gun instead of a knife.  If he's way out being an imminent threat with the knife by being at the back of the range, it's still murder murder if I shoot him.  IF he's waiving a loaded gun around, then that is a different proposition.  Legitimate self-defense because he could get lucky.  

“When the amendment was passed … you couldn’t buy a cannon … and so there’s no reason why you should be able to buy certain assault weapons,” said Biden.

Actually, people could and did buy cannons and there was a bit of a conflict over them at Lexington and Concord. Noted constitutional author James Madison sent private vessels armed with cannons to attack British shipping and the British Navy as part of a war. I think he called them peaceships.

The reason we should be able to buy battlefield .22's and other such weapons of war today is the same as it was then: they're suitable militia weapons that are part of the ordinary military equipment.

On 1/28/2022 at 10:11 PM, Olsonist said:

When a kablamist ANYBODY wants to off themself, they're gonna get it done.

Fixed.

You're making it way too complex.

Buy them a one-way airline ticket to Japan, and a one-way bus ticket to the Aokigahara Forest.

Beto O'Rourke flip-flops again on confiscating battlefield .22's as polls show him trailing Texas Gov. Abbott

"I’m not interested in taking anything from anyone," O’Rourke said to reporters in Tyler, Texas. "What I want to make sure that we do is defend the Second Amendment. I want to make sure that we protect our fellow Texans far better than we’re doing right now."

The flip appears to be driven by the polling numbers, and comes just a few months after O’Rourke full-throatedly backed mandatory takings for AR-15s and battlefield .22's.

I guess his plan for poling the electorate wasn't polling all that well.

19 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

Beto O'Rourke flip-flops again on confiscating battlefield .22's as polls show him trailing Texas Gov. Abbott

I guess his plan for poling the electorate wasn't polling all that well.

That's one way to Reign him in.  

10 hours ago, Burning Man said:

That's one way to Reign him in.  

Grabbers are undeterred by almost anything.

Systematic violation of the rights of minorities by the cops? Not a problem.

Indoor militias? Sure.

Armed with muskets for the rest of time? Yep.

Trump abusing his authority? No biggie.

One wonders what might go too far for a principled TeamD politician. Turns out, low poll numbers.

Tom will be along shortly, all verklempt that a corporate person was held to account for selling military grade bang bang to civilians.

image.png.560127ab22602357a0e6d45cbdfc2568.pnghttps://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/nyregion/sandy-hook-families-settlement.html

Dog will console him by saying that a settlement is not a judgment. Tom's grief will be unchanged. It will be as if an innocent family member had been killed.

• Like 1

Oh good! You're back to talk about liability.

I'm still wondering what the point of this stupid opinion that gets liability law all wrong was?

I mean, it was stupid and you showed a complete lack of understanding of liability law, but those things aside, there must have been some point about the responsibility of car and gun owners for the actions of criminals.

What was that point?

• 2 weeks later...

I guess Olsonist will be along shortly to explain his point.

Meanwhile, back on the topic of

On 2/15/2022 at 12:02 PM, Olsonist said:

military grade bang bang

38 Senators, including both of yours, think that includes this assault weapon:

SWVictory22silver-flower.jpg

I'm fine with that interpretation because of my view that the second amendment protects military weapons that would be suitable for militia purposes. The more that are defined that way, the better!

Some people don't think it looks all that battle-ready, but I think it's at least as capable of stopping a nincomcouper as something constitutionally protected like Dick Heller's 9 round .22 revolver. That's a legit militia function. Yes, even outside the home, though that has yet to be established by SCOTUS.

• 2 weeks later...

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/597227-states-move-to-roll-back-firearm-permits-over-police

"States move to roll back firearm permits, over police objections"

"Legislators in half a dozen states are considering measures to roll back requirements that gun owners obtain permits and training before carrying concealed weapons, as Republican politicians race to show their support for gun rights ahead of primary and midterm elections this year. 

But as the bills progress through state House and Senate chambers, they are running into new and increasingly vocal opposition from an unexpected source: Law enforcement organizations who say allowing more people to carry weapons would add to an already-troubling spike in gun crimes."

“It is going to promote lawlessness. I think that there will be people who carry weapons concealed for the purpose of being vigilantes. I think that it is not very well thought out for very high populated counties such as Hamilton County,” Hamilton County (Ohio) Sheriff Charmaine McGuffey said in an interview. “To vote for people to be able to concealed carry without a license, without any training, without any documentation, it makes it exponentially harder for law enforcement to prevent gun crimes.” 

After all the shootings in America, Your government thinks this is a good idea? 

amazingly stupid.

• Like 1

It looks like the Ukrainian militia is performing admirably.  Even though they were not as  "Well Regulated" as the militias in the US are.  I mean it's not like they all got together and trained once a month like the gun grabbers demand of our militias in order to be called a "militia".  

Maybe this example will finally put to bed once and for all that even in countries without a codified 2nd Amendment, the "militia" is ALL of the people when crisis calls them to serve.  

43 minutes ago, Burning Man said:

It looks like the Ukrainian militia is performing admirably.  Even though they were not as  "Well Regulated" as the militias in the US are.  I mean it's not like they all got together and trained once a month like the gun grabbers demand of our militias in order to be called a "militia".  

Maybe this example will finally put to bed once and for all that even in countries without a codified 2nd Amendment, the "militia" is ALL of the people when crisis calls them to serve.  

Well, it's not like they all went home and got their AK-47's, and I'm pretty sure concealed carry of handguns is not a thing there. Specious argument. 

1 hour ago, Burning Man said:

Uh huh. And they all got their weapons from gov't armories, not their own "fun rooms"

And without heavy weapons like portable anti-tank and anti-air missiles, they'd be wanking in the snow.

- DSK

8 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

Uh huh. And they all got their weapons from gov't armories, not their own "fun rooms"

I doubt that's true in Russian controlled areas. Governments have a problem with insurgents having weapons. We had our own little squabbles about that very subject at Lexington and Concord, where the government was trying to take some cannons and put them in an armory where those nasty People couldn't get them.

13 hours ago, Liquid said:

It's heinous idiocy and I have my CCL.

A CCL really only serves one purpose: to identify a citizen who is even less likely than a cop to commit a violent crime (and thus is even safer to allow to exercise a right to bear arms.)

The scare tactics Keith is using are old and tired, having been trotted out in the 1980's when FL started identifying non-violent people in this way. What happened instead of their dire predictions? Unbelievably (to them) people like you didn't murder people.

I don't share their idea that gun ownership means you want to kill people because that's all guns can do. But it is the reason they don't want you to carry and the reason they don't want any of us to own battlefield .22's and other such weapons of war.

16 hours ago, Pertinacious Tom said:

A CCL really only serves one purpose: to identify a citizen who is even less likely than a cop to commit a violent crime (and thus is even safer to allow to exercise a right to bear arms.)

The scare tactics Keith is using are old and tired, having been trotted out in the 1980's when FL started identifying non-violent people in this way. What happened instead of their dire predictions? Unbelievably (to them) people like you didn't murder people.

I don't share their idea that gun ownership means you want to kill people because that's all guns can do. But it is the reason they don't want you to carry and the reason they don't want any of us to own battlefield .22's and other such weapons of war.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/597227-states-move-to-roll-back-firearm-permits-over-police

Why do you hate all the American news reported about the dangerous firearm deaths and the wild wild west firearm rules within America?