Pit Bulls Behaving Bad Again: Biggly Part III

Dogs really do need rules, it makes them happier to know where they stand and what to do in any given situation. If left to their own instincts, they'll "defend" their owners in all sorts of innocuous situations and cause big trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Parents were watching the dog for some friend." Exactly: The parents created the situation.  I feel for them, I truly do, but they were NEGLIGENT.  If I let my fucking 4 year old anywhere NEAR a

I had this dog that seemed like a typical family pet. Right up until it bit a little girl in the face who came over to play with my kids.  Couple of small wounds, healed easily. Fortunately the parent

Why do you insist that it's the breed that's the problem, rather than irresponsible idiot owners who train their dogs to be aggressive?     It's not the dog's fault - put responsibility where it

Posted Images

Pits as rescue dogs may be a bad idea. There's a reason it's a rescue. And that's not at all to say it's the dog's fault. People choosing pit puppies know they're getting a handful. That those folks quit on the dog says plenty. Few dog owners are savvy enough to take on that risk.

5 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Pits as rescue dogs may be a bad idea. There's a reason it's a rescue. And that's not at all to say it's the dog's fault. People choosing pit puppies know they're getting a handful. That those folks quit on the dog says plenty. Few dog owners taking that risk are savvy.

fify

• 4 months later...

there is no better guard dog than a well trained pit (although a poorly trained pit is a helluva guard too!)

PS- ITS HAPPENED AGAINI

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/12/texas-teen-dies-after-pit-bull-attacks-while-trespassing-yard/1986074001/

A 16-year-old boy died after being attacked by three dogs while trespassing in a backyard  in suburban Dallas.

Police officers responded to the scene in Irving, Texas, around 5 a.m. Saturday morning after being alerted of a "suspicious circumstance."

When officers arrived at the home, they saw the three pit bulls mauling the boy, according to a statement. Officers jumped the fence to shield him from the attacks.

One officer was bitten, which led to officers firing at the pit bulls. One of the pit bulls was injured and later euthanized.

"She did what she’s supposed to do,” Guillermo Lorenzo, who owned the home and the dogs, later said of the euthanized dog to WFAA-TV.

The boy was rushed to Dallas' Parkland Memorial Hospital but died as a result of the dogs' attacks.

Dogsitting death: 14-year-old Massachusetts boy killed by pack of dogs he was tending

The teen did not live in the home, according to a statement from the Irving Police Department, and it was unclear why he was in the backyard. 

Lorenzo told investigators that the boy was trespassing.

"Nobody has the right to be in this yard," Lorenzo told WFAA-TV.

The officer who was bitten has since been treated and released. The surviving dogs were taken to an animal shelter.

Contributing: The Associated Press. Follow Joshua Bote on Twitter: @joshua_bote

2 pit bulls kill 29 cats at Alabama animal shelter

By STORM GIFFORD
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
JUL 27, 2019 | 12:14 AM

2 pit bulls kill 29 cats at Alabama animal shelter
Two pit bulls mauled 29 cats at a Dothan, Ala., animal shelter. (Rafael Ben-Ari/Getty Images/iStockphoto)

A gruesome scene awaited employees at an an Alabama animal shelter, where they discovered 29 cats mauled to death at their workplace.

Sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning, two pit bulls were able to free themselves from their pens and pressed hard enough against the chain-link fence of the cat enclosure to enter, explained Dothan Animal Shelter director Bill Banks.

“Those dogs forced their way out of a pen,” Banks told TV station WTVY. "Then, they pushed hard enough on galvanized bars to knock them out of their clamps.

Officials at the shelter were unsure if the pit bulls would be euthanized after being found roaming around the site.

The outrage within Dothan, a southeastern Alabama city of approximately 68,000 residents extended all the way up to the mayor’s office.

“We are all saddened and surprised by the event that took place,” mayor Mark Saliba told CNN. “The safety of our animals is the top priority at the shelter.”

Dothan City Commissioner Beth Kenward called the mauling a “horrible" act.

“These dogs were able to eat their way out, for lack of a better term, and attack these cats,” lamented Kenward.

She then pinned blame on the outdated shelter, thinking the city should have done something about the facility years ago.

A future goal is to create a multimillion-dollar shelter from a private-public partnership on at least a three-acre land parcel, reported WTVY.

god damn it, its happened again.  being the parent of young children and from the detroit area originally, this one really hits home.  end this madness now. :(

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2019/08/19/girl-9-mauled-death-3-dogs-detroits-west-side/2056943001/

A 9-year-old girl was mauled to death by three dogs Monday on Detroit's west side, police said.

Detroit police investigators are at the scene where dogs mauled a girl Monday in Detroit.Buy Photo

Detroit police investigators are at the scene where dogs mauled a girl Monday in Detroit. (Photo: Max Ortiz / The Detroit News)

The girl, believed to have lived on the next block, was attacked in an alley near Central and Smart at about 4 p.m. Monday, said Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood, a spokeswoman for the Detroit Police Department.

Neighbors tried to stop the animals, one throwing a brick.

"They were not stopping," until then, said Edward Cruz, a neighbor who hurled the brick after hearing screams in the alley. He rushed out to find the three large dogs attacking the girl.

"I had to step in."

Cruz said the dogs, which police described as pit bulls or pit-bull mixes, ran off.

The girl, who has not been identified, and her brother had been riding bikes in the alley, Officer Dan Donakowski said.

She was taken to Children's Hospital of Michigan, where she was pronounced dead, said Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell.

Detroit police investigators are at the scene where dogs mauled a girl Monday in Detroit.Buy Photo

Detroit police investigators are at the scene where dogs mauled a girl Monday in Detroit. (Photo: Max Ortiz, The Detroit News)

Deborah Golden recounts the dog attack.

Deborah Golden recounts the dog attack. (Photo: Max Ortiz / The Detrpot Mews)

Deborah Golden, who lives down the street and heard the cries for help, saw that the girl was unresponsive and lying in a pool of blood with severe injuries to her throat, she said.

With a crowd gathered around the girl, Golden started CPR and instructed one of the girl's relatives to stanch the blood with a T-shirt until emergency personnel arrived.

"You’re not going to wait even a second," she said.

In a statement late Monday, the Detroit Health Department, which oversees the city's animal control unit, said: "It is our understanding that after the attack, two of the dogs were retrieved by their owner. We are currently at the dog owner’s home awaiting a court order to enter the property and seize the animals."

The status of the third dog was unclear. Detroit Fire EMS said one of the three dogs appeared to have been shot by a neighbor. WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) reported that dog was killed. Police and animal control representatives did not immediately confirm its death.

Golden said she noticed at least one of the dogs in the attack roaming free days earlier, and other neighbors had complained about the animals.

"The kids have a right to play," she said as other neighbors watched police investigating across the street. "You’ve got to keep these damn dogs in the house."

Edward Cruz of Detroit talks to a Detroit police officer moments after a 9-year-old girl was attacked by dogs.Buy Photo

Edward Cruz of Detroit talks to a Detroit police officer moments after a 9-year-old girl was attacked by dogs. (Photo: Max Ortiz, The Detroit News)

The owners of those animals should be charged with murder.

Manslaughter at a minimum.

Lorenzo should also be charged with being a psychopathic cunt.

• Like 1

murder. the owner of this dog is likely going to prison for life.  another family destroyed.  when will these foolish pit owners learn?

fuck pitbulls, ban these monsters now.

out of 30,000 dog species, tell me why a pit bull is the right dog for you?

• Like 1

Totally agree - people have those dogs as personality crutches. They are nothing but a raised middle finger to society by weak losers.

That said, 30K breeds is a tad overstating it - where did you get that number? The AKC recognized about 1% of that number of breeds.

17 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

murder. the owner of this dog is likely going to prison for life.  another family destroyed.  when will these foolish pit owners learn?

Why do you insist that it's the breed that's the problem, rather than irresponsible idiot owners who train their dogs to be aggressive?    

It's not the dog's fault - put responsibility where it belongs. 

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Why do you insist that it's the breed that's the problem, rather than irresponsible idiot owners who train their dogs to be aggressive?    

A pit bull is a dog that requires someone knowledgeable in how to train and handle it. Most, not all, owners don't seem to be.  

I believe there is a certain "perception" that you are a badass if you own one, at least for some people. It a way to prove something. Not sure what. But most pits I have seen are not handled well and the owners seem indifferent. There are exceptions to every rule though.

WL

• Like 1
2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Because they are uniquely strong and persistent. Why do you insist that a breed that has so many savage deaths and attacks on it's record should continue to be regarded as a suitable pet?

Or is it just a "tool"?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How many people bother to train any dog beyond house training? How many people know how to train their dogs to be aggressive? Or gentle? Dog owners as a group are apparently incapable of even training their dogs to heel and thus get pulled around the neighborhood. We've all seen this our whole lives. 

But when it comes to mauling and killing smallish people, it's untrained/unsupervised pits in the news, time after time.  I've been to the local shelter many times. It's Pit City. Gotta be a reason. 

17 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:
18 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

How many people bother to train any dog beyond house training? How many people know how to train their dogs to be aggressive? Or gentle? Dog owners as a group are apparently incapable of even training their dogs to heel and thus get pulled around the neighborhood. We've all seen this our whole lives. 

But when it comes to mauling and killing smallish people, it's untrained/unsupervised pits in the news, time after time.  I've been to the local shelter many times. It's Pit City. Gotta be a reason. 

A big part of that is news bias. It's a lot easier to report a pit bull than to do more research and find out what kind of dog it really was.

A lot of people own dogs who shouldn't.... that certainly includes people who seek out a pittie because they think it will make them look like a bad ass, and have little/no ability to train them. But almost any breed of dog bigger than the toy ones can inflict a fatal mauling on a person, given the wrong circumstances.

Not all dog owners are the same.

- DSK

• Like 2
On 8/23/2019 at 1:51 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

the breed is a big problem.  idiot dog owners will exist as long as dogs of any breed exist.

you see, 99% of dog breeds (ie nearly all dog breeds aside from Pits, and a handful of others) when in the hands of idiot dog owners, do not result in a 9 year old being ripped to shreds as she tries to enjoy her afternoon.  thus, these vicious beasts need to be eradicated. 

get it?

• Like 1
On 8/23/2019 at 4:52 PM, SloopJonB said:

Because they are uniquely strong and persistent. Why do you insist that a breed that has so many savage deaths and attacks on it's record should continue to be regarded as a suitable pet?

Or is it just a "tool"?

Those traits don't make the dog aggressive or mean - it's the OWNERS that encourage those behaviors - and it's the OWNERS that do so that are the problem.   I've been around dogs all my life, and I'm no expert trainer, though 20 years ago, I *did* spend $1500 and two weeks vacation to study under a gentleman who trained and bred champion field-trials Labs.  My experience has been that like people, most dogs will do what's expected of them, regardless of breed. 

Seems like those of you on the opposite side of this intend to blame an owner's personal irresponsibility on the dog.  It's not the pup's fault.   I've been frightened more by aggressive/protective Chessies, and believe it or not, regular poodles than I have any other breed. 

On 8/23/2019 at 1:51 PM, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Many Pitts are great dogs.   Purebred dogs are selected for personality quirks, as any retriever or terrier owner knows.   Pitts have a couple that make them very dangerous if a conflict occurs.   Not only do they have incredible jaw strength, they don't quit.  A Shepherd bites, stops half way through, gets scared it did the wrong thing, and drops the limb.   The bite wound is serious, but nothing compared to what a dog of that size is physiologically able to achieve.   A Pitt bites until the bone breaks, then regrips and bites again.   

The other issue is their owners.   They share a lot in common with firearm owners.   They feel insecure and scared in their homes and don't trust law enforcement to keep them safe.  They cannot afford a gated community or security company.    They substitute dangerous dogs.    They are white trash and gangsta wannabees, so they don't get the respect the guy with a few thousand dollars of guns does.   The dog is working even when they are not home, unlike the gun.   

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Lark said:

Not only do they have incredible jaw strength, they don't quit.  A Shepherd bites, stops half way through, gets scared it did the wrong thing, and drops the limb.   The bite wound is serious, but nothing compared to what a dog of that size is physiologically able to achieve.   A Pitt bites until the bone breaks, then regrips and bites again.

Agree with everything Lark said but wanted to share a story.

I dated a woman that had a wonderful male pit and a female German shepherd.  Although the pit was 3 and had been in the house since a pup, the GS (also raised there from a pup) was the Alpha when I met her at 1.5.  One night, we gave them each a thigh bone from some kind of large animal. It was probably 10" by maybe 2" in diameter.  I was engrossed in a book and they were each on an arm of a sectional gnawing away and after about an hour, I look at the GS that was next to me and notice that she's already put a little bit of a hollow in the bone.  I look over at the pit and he's looking at me with a stupid look on his face.  I couldn't understand why he wasn't working on his bone and then noticed that he was surrounded on the sectional by crumbs of bone...it was gone.  

Incredible jaw strength doesn't even describe it.  I thought GSs had strong jaws, they are wimps when compared to a pit.

That said, I was much more comfortable with her pit than the GS.  BUT, the pit has so much more potential for harm.   

Most dogs are BB guns, a pit is a .45, once it goes, it kills.  They are one of the most focused, intense and intelligent bred dogs for the primary purpose of killing.

Yea some people can train them well, but thats certainly under 5% of the dog owning populace.  That leaves a lot of .45's wandering around ready to go off at any moment, especially like the case of the Detroit Tragedy.  No child anywhere on the planet should be taken down by killing pets.  More than one increases the killing instinct.  It doesn't matter how much love the owner thinks they have instilled in their perfect little pits.

Dont know why i feel like i should comment here and take shit for my opinion, but i've had several pits (and other breeds as well including a 13 lb mutt)...They are incredibly strong and persistent and if you treat them in a way that makes them scared/aggressive they do have the physical ability to fuck up most anything.  Theyre not the right dog for a lot of people, but a lot of them are excellent dogs.  Most of the myths about pits are very untrue.  The only truth is that they are wildly strong animals (and yes, they are animals...if people treat them like a baby/child that's harmful) and a wildly strong animal has the ability to act animalistically.  Our current dog (80 lb pit/boxer/mastiff) was severely abused as a puppy by people raising him to fight and he's terrified of most things.  Perfect dog at home or on the boat where he feels safe, but he's never off leash and we don't let him near other dogs/people or especially little kids unless it's in a controlled way.  It took about a year of constant/focused training to get him comfortable and safe.  I do have to say, he's on the upper end of sketchy pitbulls, but we've never even come close to a dangerous situation and with a lot of work he's totally cool now.  We spend 2-3 hours/week on training and he gets to run/walk 7-8 miles/day. 

A lot of people shouldnt have dogs at all for their sake, the dog's sake and the people/animals around them.  And of the remaining portion of people, a lot shouldnt have strong dogs (like pits, rotts, shepherds, wolf breeds etc).  In the same way a lot of people on this earth shouldn't have children because they're neglected/raised to be dangerous shitheads...A well trained pitbull is an amazing dog.  A well trained dog of any breed is a great dog.  A dog neglected/abused/trained to kill of any breed is dangerous, the same dog that's 80 pounds of solid muscle can kill but it doesnt come out of nowhere.   

• Like 2
6 hours ago - A suspect in eastern North Carolina set his dog on deputies as they approached his home on Sunday, media outlets reported. ... Law enforcement officials in Pitt County were arresting Stanley Tyson, 27, on domestic violence-related charges when the dog, described as a pit bull, charged ...
11 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Seems like those of you on the opposite side of this intend to blame an owner's personal irresponsibility on the dog.  It's not the pup's fault.   I've been frightened more by aggressive/protective Chessies, and believe it or not, regular poodles than I have any other breed. 

Your experience is unique or I've missed all those stories about Chessies and standard poodles mauling people. Can you offer anything other than cautious optimism? Like stats?

On 8/24/2019 at 8:05 AM, Steam Flyer said:

A big part of that is news bias. It's a lot easier to report a pit bull than to do more research and find out what kind of dog it really was.

News bias. Good one.

Gotta cite for that? That's like saying all dogs look alike. Amirite? 

4 hours ago, Blue Crab said:
6 hours ago - A suspect in eastern North Carolina set his dog on deputies as they approached his home on Sunday, media outlets reported. ... Law enforcement officials in Pitt County were arresting Stanley Tyson, 27, on domestic violence-related charges when the dog, described as a pit bull, charged ...

I remember an episode of Law & Order that had a better solution.

A gangster with a pit on a chain leash was being confronted prior to being arrested. The dog was snarling and lunging at the end of his leash.

One of the cops showed the gun in his hand and said "If Spuds moves, you're history". :D

9 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Your experience is unique or I've missed all those stories about Chessies and standard poodles mauling people. Can you offer anything other than cautious optimism? Like stats?

Nope - just personal experience.   The stats you'd cite still point more to the people who raised the dogs turning them into a problem than the breed itself being the problem. I agree with those who stated that many weak people get these dogs and make them mean as a means to increase their own self-esteem, but again, that's not the pup's fault. 

Disclaimer, I have owned 3 very large dogs and babysat 3 more from time to time.  Newfies, shepherd/rottie mixes, lab/shepherd mix, Saint B mix, etc.  IMHO the breed matters a lot.  Basic temperament.  A dog can be protective without being aggressive.  Ours would give a low bark and look at you funny as they stand between the owner and the stranger, but Newfies aren't going to chase down someone and crush their neck.  Little dogs bark constantly but they are very unlikely to inflict a lethal injury.  Stitches maybe, antibiotics likely, but unless someone is stupid enough to stick their face near the dog's teeth, it's a laceration on the leg/arm.  Like the difference between getting shot with a paintball gun versus a firearm. Sure, there are bad owners, but a nut with a paintball gun has a different risk than a nut with a firearm.

• Like 1

Nope - just personal experience.   The stats you'd cite still point more to the people who raised the dogs turning them into a problem than the breed itself being the problem. I agree with those who stated that many thetweak people get these dogs and make them mean as a means to increase their own self-esteem, but again, that's not the pup's fault. 

How do they make them mean, G? Other than the Michael Vicks of the world, my guess is folks bring pit mix pups home (mix as in free or almost free pups; pure bred Staffordshire pups being cost prohibitive) teach them to shake hands, maybe, and that's that. 

8 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

How do they make them mean, G? Other than the Michael Vicks of the world, my guess is folks bring pit mix pups home (mix as in free or almost free pups; pure bred Staffordshire pups being cost prohibitive) teach them to shake hands, maybe, and that's that. 

Lemme know if this is a serious question - 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Lemme know if this is a serious question - 

Yeah, it was. Call me naive but I don't believe most po folk families with kids bring  a dog home and teach it to be aggressive.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, it was. Call me naive but I don't believe most po folk families with kids bring  a dog home and teach it to be aggressive.

I think that you'd be surprised.  Do you think that the dogs that are brought home as pets, raised in the house acclimated to people, are the ones who are making headlines?   Or - is it more likely the dogs that are taught to fight, chained up outside, half starved, poked/prodded to evoke an aggressive reaction?  You're on the OB?   Drive east about 50 miles, 

I'll caveat that ANY dog will bite if it thinks it's threatened, shoot, I scared my wife's 14 yr old pug when I woke her up on the sofa last night and SHE snapped at me.  I also get your point w/r/t how different breeds inherently behave when they decide to bite - I just don't think that statistics support that the breed itself is the sensational problem that several of the folks in this conversation and in the media are making it out to be. 

• Like 2

I scared my wife's 14 yr old pug when I woke her up on the sofa last night

So you've been married less than 14yrs?  If you've been there for the duration, you woke up 'our' dog.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

So you've been married less than 14yrs?  If you've been there for the duration, you woke up 'our' dog.  

That blessed pup snores so much that the only time I get a night's sleep is when I'm deployed.   My wife says the pug loves me, I think it loves the fact that it's kept me up at night for the past 14 years.   ;-) 

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I think that you'd be surprised.  Do you think that the dogs that are brought home as pets, raised in the house acclimated to people, are the ones who are making headlines?   Or - is it more likely the dogs that are taught to fight, chained up outside, half starved, poked/prodded to evoke an aggressive reaction? ...

Sure the abused dog is more likely but I think the reason we're hearing about so many pit attacks is because our communications have improved exponentially in our lifetimes. As this continues, I think the "Nanny Dog" apologists, and other bleeding hearts will be hard-pressed to deny the nature side of the nature/nurture discussion. IIRC, the "German Shepard" started out as Alsatian Wolfhounds.

"You're on the OB?   Drive east about 50 miles, " This from the guy who voted for Mickey Mouse for pres.

1 minute ago, Blue Crab said:

Sure the abused dog is more likely but I think the reason we're hearing about so many pit attacks is because our communications have improved exponentially in our lifetimes. As this continues, I think the "Nanny Dog" apologists, and other bleeding hearts will be hard-pressed to deny the nature side of the nature/nurture discussion. IIRC, the "German Shepard" started out as Alsatian Wolfhounds.

"You're on the OB?   Drive east about 50 miles, " This from the guy who voted for Mickey Mouse for pres.

WTF does that have to do with the price of Tesla's in Greenland?   I was suggesting that there are plenty of opportunities for you to see what I'm describing for yourself if you cared to do so.  Ya know what?  Never mind - you know all ya need to on this topic, and I apologize for wasting your time with an alternate perspective. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:
20 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

WTF does that have to do with the price of Tesla's in Greenland?   I was suggesting that there are plenty of opportunities for you to see what I'm describing for yourself if you cared to do so.  Ya know what?  Never mind - you know all ya need to on this topic, and I apologize for wasting your time with an alternate perspective. 

Unfortunately there are dog fighters and fighting dog breeders here in eastern NC.

They've gotten busted more frequently over the past few years, but the culture is going underground instead of changing. One of the things I've done is try to help our local shelter avoid letting dogfighters "adopt" dogs to use as bait.

Sometimes one of them has an accident. Some years ago, one of them accidentally set off a hand grenade at a clandestine dog fight ring. Every once in a while a gun fight breaks out too. Amazing "sport."

- DSK

10 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

oooooooooh, you meant drive West. Why didn't you say so? I use the boat heading East. I literally can't drive E on wheels if I get my usual parking spot.

I think your vote suggests an inability to understand or even make an effort to understand things not black or white. 

10 minutes ago, Blue Crab said:

I think your vote suggests an inability to understand or even make an effort to understand things not black or white. 

Hey, hey, hate the sin, not the sinner.  I don't always see eye to eye with Chessie, but I don't think he is a bad guy.

Back on topic, I pity the fool that tries to mess with me and mine.  Don't let them fool you for one moment, these ruthless killers will make mincemeat of of any intruder.  Or at least they'll knock them over and kill them with slobber and puppy breath.

Pals.jpg

Pals2.jpg

2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I scared my wife's 14 yr old pug when I woke her up on the sofa last night and SHE snapped at me. 

You don't know enough to let sleeping dogs lie yet you expect us to respect your opinion about savage dogs?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Unfortunately there are dog fighters and fighting dog breeders here in eastern NC.

They've gotten busted more frequently over the past few years, but the culture is going underground instead of changing. One of the things I've done is try to help our local shelter avoid letting dogfighters "adopt" dogs to use as bait.

Sometimes one of them has an accident. Some years ago, one of them accidentally set off a hand grenade at a clandestine dog fight ring. Every once in a while a gun fight breaks out too. Amazing "sport."

- DSK

Yepper. Good on you for the pound deal. I'll checkout the Carteret shelter.

20 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

It was time for bed - couldn't carry her in to the bedroom w/out waking her up. 

Very confused in MI.  The dog snores and keeps you awake and you carry her into the bedroom?  You make Fred Flintstone look like Einstein.  

• Like 1
Just now, Cal20sailor said:

Very confused in MI.  The dog snores and keeps you awake and you carry her into the bedroom?  You make Fred Flintstone look like Einstein.  

Confused?   You're in MI, it's probably the H2O.   ;-)

My wife adores the Pug - I adore my wife - my wife wants the pup to sleep in the bedroom with us, as she's too old and decrepit, and no longer able to get herself up or down anymore. 

48 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

Jeebus - I just realized that I said something really dumb - if BC's on the outer banks - ain't no way for him to drive east.  I meant Eastern NC, and for him to drive WEST for 50 miles to any of the little towns in the vicinity.   Sorry for the goof folks. 

That's the way I took your statement..... apart from maybe it was a suggestion to take a long drive on a short bridge.......

Actually 50 miles west puts him in some of the booniest boonies east of the Mississippi

;)

- DSK

2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

My wife adores the Pug - I adore my wife - my wife wants the pup to sleep in the bedroom with us, as she's too old and decrepit, and no longer able to get herself up or down anymore. 

Got it, given a choice between you or the pug, your wife would choose...

Now I'm confused.  All of these pronouns.  Is the wife old and decrepit?  Does the pug snore or your wife?  Who can't get it up, you or the dog???   I wanna know what's going on here.

• Like 2
Just now, Ed Lada said:

Now I'm confused.  All of these pronouns.  Is the wife old and decrepit?  Does the pug snore or your wife?  Who can't get it up, you or the dog???   I wanna know what's going on here.

Are you sure you do????  ;-) 

The pug is 14 - and can't move very well anymore - she needed an ACL repair after she jumped off the sofa last year, so we don't let her do that anymore.  

My wife adores the pug, the pug snores ( as does every flat faced pup I've ever met ) and my wife likes having the pug in the bedroom.  I adore my wife, so I put up w/the snoring dog, and if it bugs me badly enough?  I get up and go to one of the spare rooms.  I suspect that if I fall asleep first - I probably keep the pug awake w/MY snoring.

• Like 1

Are you sure you do????  ;-) 

The pug is 14 - and can't move very well anymore - she needed an ACL repair after she jumped off the sofa last year, so we don't let her do that anymore.  

My wife adores the pug, the pug snores ( as does every flat faced pup I've ever met ) and my wife likes having the pug in the bedroom.  I adore my wife, so I put up w/the snoring dog, and if it bugs me badly enough?  I get up and go to one of the spare rooms.  I suspect that if I fall asleep first - I probably keep the pug awake w/MY snoring.

OK, thanks, I think I got it.  It's like one of those 'Who's on First' situations, right?

I do like Pugs and snoring has never bothered me.  French Bull dogs are pretty cool too.  My male Lab snores pretty loud sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pit Bull mauls 4-year-old boy to death 

A 4-year-old boy was mauled to death in a dog attack Tuesday night in Hazel Park. (suburb immediately north of Detroit) police said. 

His 14-year-old sister called 911 at about 6:45 p.m. to report her mother was trying to stop a male pit bill from attacking him at their home on East Woodruff, authorities said in a statement.  The family had been fostering the 60-pound canine, according to the release. 

Investigators learned the mother cut the animal with a knife to defend her son. 

When police officers responded to the scene with the Hazel Park Fire Department and saw the dog "actively attacking" the 4-year-old, they used Tasers to free him, authorities wrote.  The pit bull ran out of the house. The boy, who sustained serious wounds to his neck and body, was rushed by ambulance to a hospital and pronounced dead. 

His 38-year-old mother also was hospitalized for treatment of dog bite injuries that were not believed to be life threatening.

More: https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2019/10/30/dog-mauls-4-year-old-boy-death-hazel-park/2504951001/  

On 8/22/2019 at 7:30 PM, MikeR80 said:

I must be lucky, I've not met a single aggressive pit bull.  The only bad behavior the last one exhibited was to slobber all over my knees. I know they exist and this is due to the owners of those specific dogs.  I would not own one, as I know what they can be capable of.  And, I know my capabilities as an owner. I need an easy pooch. I do not need nor do I have time to be an owner of a breed like that.  But, if you take the time, you can have a good one.  People just need to be realistic about their capabilities when it come to having a pet.  Getting an animal for a status symbol is entirely the wrong reason to have a pet. 

And yes, I have a dog, bunch of fish too. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, linaszuk said:

I must be lucky, I've not met a single aggressive pit bull. 

When you do you likely won't be around to tell us about it.

That's the whole point.

• Like 1

I have Never seen a gopro video by anyone fucking with a Crock/Gaytor that was mauled/killed

must be OK beasts

7 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I have Never seen a gopro video by anyone fucking with a Crock/Gaytor that was mauled/killed

must be OK beasts

point taken, but did you read the rest of my post where I mention that owners need to be realistic. Pit bulls are not to be taken lightly.  As stated, I've been fortunate just getting slobbery knees.  I am in no way diminishing the power of these dogs nor the responsibility the owners have for them. These are a breed that can be dangerous if raised or trained incorrectly or just outright neglected.

Pitbulls_2.png

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

the parents of the children mauled to death 

quite a few of them should be in prison because of either creating the situation that led to the mauling or not watching their kids when big dogs are around.  

• Like 2

True but I've heard of lots of cases where the dogs were running free and jumped a fence or the like.

The bottom line is there is no reason for the breed to exist - it's not like there's a shortage of breeds out there.

11 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

quite a few of them should be in prison because of either creating the situation that led to the mauling or not watching their kids when big dogs are around.  

The mauling death I reported in post #172 and MikeR80 in post #180 are one in the same.  The parents of the 4-year old were not the owners  of the dog.  FYI:

"...It all happened inside the family's home on East Woodruff, which is just a few blocks from the police station. According to a family statement, they were watching the dog for some friends and were not made aware of any previous signs of aggression regarding the dog..."