• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

VOICEMEMO: UPDATE MARK #2 24-09-18 Hi all,  Another message from me on the boat Maverick. It have been incredibly heavy. I’ll talk you trough this bizarre storm from the start of it until now.

Incredible to see Gregor's boat still happily sending out position reports. Looks for all the world like it's trying to spell something ....

This very nice drawing of the 18 GGR boats that started today, was created by Jacques Taglang.

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Well, it wouldn't be a surprise given the nature of this event.  There have been a lot of examples of boats just bouncing off the 42° boundary that repeatedly look like they were called much closer than you would expect if relying on purely celestial navigation.  

3 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

I have to say, watching Istvan bouncing along the boundary recently reminded me of Mapfre in the first VOR SO leg! I was thinking "that's some fine celestial nav!"

However, he did run over (twice?) and cop a penalty which suggests otherwise :D

Don't forget the Donald has been ringing them up when inclined to warn them of their proximity to the electronic fence, particularly Suzi. 

It would appear that along the way some have joined into the HAM support net that others set up pre-race and information is now flowing freely including conveniently overhearing your tracker position broadcast. I wonder if the Donald is aware of this? Maybe not otherwise why his electric fence warnings?

There are some other strange communication things. Like upthread it was reported Cpt Coconut sent a text to HQ to have a message about something relayed back to him via Charleville Radio on HF. Now unless in the unlikely event he set up before hand a voice sched time with them there is no way he can call them on HF voice on a working frequency. Charleville don't monitor those voice frequencies anymore (except occasional short offshore Aust races) only those on DSC. Therefore there is a prospect he is paging them with a DSC enabled HF set, albeit one which has no GPS input?

I'm now waiting for it to be revealed some are out there not alone.

IMG_20181128_121537.jpg

9 hours ago, mightyhartley said:

Would not getting your position from a lighthouse in sight be rather...redundant??

There is more than one Lighthouse out there. From various comments there seems to be a lack of charts on some of the boats and those that took them in the first place have had some reduced to papier-mache due to leaving the hatch open.

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

1.44 slip the boat, get rid of barnacles and paint the hull ?

5.40 Susy tipping and public positions, so implies all know each others position ?

Once you've been caught with the hand in the cookie jar, best thing to do is hold the cookie up and say, "I thought they were for everyone".  Poor Kopar must have been sleeping when his "tip" was sent...right?

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

1.44 slip the boat, get rid of barnacles and paint the hull ?

5.40 Susy tipping and public positions, so implies all know each others position ?

This a getting more farcical by the week.

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

He said something about a future change in their knowledge of their positions to make it more exciting at the end??? No idea what he was implying ie more or less information??

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

No idea what he was implying ie more or less information??

Just now the RO and not Robin KJ did a FB vid and RO said they would take GPS positions off the tracker, not 100% a fix as you can extrapolate a position quite easily however at least admitting to want to do something about it. Whilst on the subject I wish people would stop calling it GPS position!! 

I don't get it why you all suddenly are so upset about the racers are getting their positions via HF from other sailors, lighthouses or whoever. They are allowed to communicate with anyone via VHF and HF radio about whatever they like, except receiving weather routing. When Tomy sailed in the Bay of Biscay a few days after the start of the race, he used his VHF to ask a passing Indian tanker if they could see him on the AIS/MarineTraffic and reply to him with his exact position. Even it did sound a bit strange, he did not brake any rules by doing so, as he did not use his sat phone. The sat phone they have on board is for safety purposes only - even the weekly calls to RO are to be considered as safety check ins, to ensure they are all right(mentally, physically and equipment wise) and their phone is working/charged.

56 minutes ago, LOK77 said:

I don't get it why you all suddenly are so upset about the racers are getting their positions via HF from other sailors, lighthouses or whoever. They are allowed to communicate with anyone via VHF and HF radio about whatever they like, except receiving weather routing. 

It simply begs the question why then are GPS banned? Why are competitors put at risk by being denied GPS enabled GMDSS two way distress communication? The answer it seems is a marketing stunt and one that is unraveling.

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

How is tracker position derived then.. magic???

You said it - it is the Lat/Long which has been derived from the GPS system, unfortunately whenever people see something like 54° 48.35 S, 083° 23.79 W  these days they immediately say it is a GPS position! I also feel the terms "Wind Generator" and "Water Generator" are misused if they are meant to be devices to generate electricity not wind or water. 

1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

You said it - it is the Lat/Long which has been derived from the GPS system, unfortunately whenever people see something like 54° 48.35 S, 083° 23.79 W  these days they immediately say it is a GPS position! I also feel the terms "Wind Generator" and "Water Generator" are misused if they are meant to be devices to generate electricity not wind or water. 

So much to worry about! 

Thus, for all these years "Telegraph" has been mis-used since there are no graphs involved?   

Wait a minute...Does a "Nuclear plant" involve plants with nuclei?  

How about when "Motorboating" really just involves lips, breath and tits? 

3 hours ago, LOK77 said:

I don't get it why you all suddenly are so upset about the racers are getting their positions via HF from other sailors, lighthouses or whoever. They are allowed to communicate with anyone via VHF and HF radio about whatever they like, except receiving weather routing. When Tomy sailed in the Bay of Biscay a few days after the start of the race, he used his VHF to ask a passing Indian tanker if they could see him on the AIS/MarineTraffic and reply to him with his exact position. Even it did sound a bit strange, he did not brake any rules by doing so, as he did not use his sat phone. The sat phone they have on board is for safety purposes only - even the weekly calls to RO are to be considered as safety check ins, to ensure they are all right(mentally, physically and equipment wise) and their phone is working/charged.

I'm not upset that the racers gain access to this data and I feel that most others here are the same.  What bothers me is that the RO has been very loose with rules,  enforcement, getting called out on such things.  I certainly was under the idea that the only way they knew position was from their own navigational tools, dead reckoning, and or the occasional ship.  This then put one flavor to the ... event.  Then we learn the racers can and do get at least one daily position report, Heede uses HF to get decent wx forecasts which certainly has helped him and that changes the flavor and intent.

Me, I'm glad they had access to that data and wish they had better forecasting available to them in real time.  No matter how hard you try, unless you rig a Rustler using a flux capacitor, you cannot go back in time and recreate the original.

• Like 1
Just now, jack_sparrow said:

How is Heede's weather info better than the others ?

Did y'all not talk about how he (may have) set up some sort of HF network and was able to get more accurate forecasts thus was better able to position him to take advantage of it?   I'm too lazy to look back x pages, but I remember you and LC mentioning something like that and that other racers did not do this and were thus  at a disadvantage.

Perhaps I misunderstood.

17 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Did y'all not talk about how he (may have) set up some sort of HF network and was able to get more accurate forecasts thus was better able to position him to take advantage of it?  

Yes he has a French one. Seems there is a English one doing same thing that someone set up. I suspect Heedes is better thought out though. Slatts is Dutch and certainly has access to good weather knowing to the hour it seems when things get ugly approaching the coast.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:22 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Courtesy of RO. Interesting book read about Cheers a Proa that Tom Follet skippered in the 1968 Observer Single Handed Transatlantic Race in 1968 coming in third. I'm not sure I would jump in her today let alone in 1968. We have had some rescues in this race but I don't think betters one in this race where a doctor parachuted from a plane to attend to some guy who was very ill.

The interesting bit is Cheers has been completely restored and sailing again in Port Saint Louis south of France, and has been designated as a “monument historique” and now protected by the French Governement.

https://www.amazon.com/Project-Cheers-Jim-Morris/dp/1523961163/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464298984&sr=1-1&keywords=Project+Cheers

Some background to Cheers and some great pics of it being built in the Caribbean.

https://cheersdicknewick.com/

Film of 1968 OSTAR which not filmed on a GoPro.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2056184064438128&id=967989813257564

cheersbookcoverpic-sm.jpg

17 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Could this be your reply from this mornings update about 8:50

I reckon that is as near as it is going to get.  Whoever looks after GGR's website has read the message but I have not had a reply.  Facebook says "GGR typically replies within the hour" or words to that effect so I guess I'm not going to get a direct response.  :)

18 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Could this be your reply from this mornings update about 8:50

45 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I reckon that is as near as it is going to get.  

I thing the Donald regards this thread as "Satan's Island".

1 hour ago, Joakim said:

Mark has reduced the distance to VDH by more than 100 M during the last two days. Mark has sailed 331 M during the last 48h and VDH only 228 M. Was that expected after getting around the Horn?

Yes, a compression here is expected

#GGR2018 Entrants are navigation using a sextant. They can receive any information over the HF SSB radio that is free to the public (except ROUTING) GGR does not co-ordinate or manage any HF Radio scheds. Entrants are free to join any existing maritime network or organize their own HAM radio net if they are a licensed HAM operator. Occasionally Entrants have been given other entrant positions from the GGR LIVE TRACKER as they are interested in where they are in the flee etc. That makes some followers believe they are not navigating with a sextant anymore (which is NOT the case) and it may be against the spirit of the GGR. HF radio is encouraged for use as it was in 1968 for safety and logistic reasons. None the less to save any confusion the following new rule to the GGR comes into force on Dec 1st. 1f642.png:)

NOR 3.1.3.3 GPS Positions from GGR Tracker and AIS Marine Traffic.

GPS co-ordinates of GGR entrants from the GGR LIVE tracker or AIS Marine Traffic are forbidden to entrants. Penalty 48hrs 1st offence. Disqualification 2nd offence.

25 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

None the less to save any confusion the following new rule to the GGR comes into force on Dec 1st. 1f642.png:)

All entrants shall remain lost, even if they are not lost they shall pretend they are lost. In the event any entrant believes they are no longer lost they shall go down below and shut their eyes for 2 days. Anyone caught peeking will give themselves a Chinese burn 1st offence. 2nd offence write out 5,000 times "Hail Donald King of Grace" on flax using an feathered quill dipped in Mercurochrome, then put in a bottle and thrown overboard. When the bottle is found racing may recommence.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

He said something about a future change in their knowledge of their positions to make it more exciting at the end??? No idea what he was implying ie more or less information??

What? That's complete horseshit, just making it up as he goes along 

49 minutes ago, spyderpig said:

GPS co-ordinates of GGR entrants from the GGR LIVE tracker or AIS Marine Traffic are forbidden to entrants. Penalty 48hrs 1st offence. Disqualification 2nd offence.

Very odd and specific wording.  It only excludes two sources. 

I get my position info from the race direct from YB's API which is not mentioned  :)

I suspect, again, that Don has absolutely no clue how the tracking technology works.....  Ditto telecommunications/IT in general.  It is not unreasonable that he should have somebody on the team to advise him. He is at the level of incompetence where he is so. Iignorant that he is unknowingly incompetent.  

27 minutes ago, littlechay said:

I get my position info from the race direct from YB's API which is not mentioned  :)

I suspect, again, that Don has absolutely no clue how the tracking technology works.....  Ditto telecommunications/IT in general.  It is not unreasonable that he should have somebody on the team to advise him. He is at the level of incompetence where he is so. Iignorant that he is unknowingly incompetent.  

Ah...the four stages of learning
Unknowing incompetent

Knowing incompetent

knowing competent

unknowing competent.

I guess Susie got her little "tip" soon after I pointed out she was only 11 nm from the forbidden zone.  Since then she's had a steady slight movement away.  Uku had to have cleaned his bottom, because he seems to be holding steady on "the british" for now and it is still at least 8 more days of this limitation to sailing a "race".

Someone posted this quote from the NOR section 9.3 ("Risk") a couple weeks ago, and I've been thinking about it's implications lately...

"The entrant also accepts and agrees that the organisers are non-expert in the running of such events and he/she does not rely on any aspect of the advice opinions or rules of the Golden Globe in making the decision to attempt this Race."

What I mean by implications is...  It seems Don doesn't claim to be an expert and would argue that we shouldn't be expecting the management of this event to be on par with major events like VOR, Vendee Globe, Route de Rhum, etc.  And he was clear with the competitors about that, at least to some extent.  It seemed there was an acknowledgment that there would be some degree of "figuring out as we go along".   It seems that this was really more about the adventure and nostalgia and experimentation with a throw-back concept, rather than trying to be an expertly managed world-class offshore racing event.  While plenty of things have occurred that produce valid concern (particularly if sailor safety is impacted), my thoughts about this have caused me to try to cut Don some slack when things seem inconsistent and/or he seems to have failed to anticipate scenarios, etc.  To me the major question about whether or not it's irresponsible is a matter of whether or not those organizational failures are beyond what the sailors themselves anticipated.

One thing I really like about this event, for better or worse, is that it gives me a valid personal question of "Could I do this?  If so, how would I do?  Where would I be in the fleet?"  I think I could achieve the budget (but not the time).  If I assumed the time, would I commit myself adequately to preparation?  I don't have the short-handed experience or enough knowledge about the steering devices, celestial navigation, and at-sea repair techniques to do it yet, but I'd like to know more about those things and could use training / prep time to do it.  I do have some decent amateur offshore sailing experience and I believe myself to be an above average amateur sailor.  So...  if I found the time to prepare properly, and I wasn't unfortunate enough to be capsized and dismasted in one of these little things, I'd like to think I'd be past Hobart by now, but I really have no idea.  I guess my point is that, for a typical "guy with a desk job and a sailing hobby", there's an appeal to this that's different from the alternatives of writing a check to do a Clipper leg or taking out a second mortgage to shoot for a Transpac, Sydney-Hobart, Newport-Bermuda, or similar campaign.  And ultimately, I think that and the nostalgic element are Don's goal, regardless of the flaws in execution.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Someone posted this quote from the NOR section 9.3 ("Risk") a couple weeks ago, and I've been thinking about it's implications lately...

"The entrant also accepts and agrees that the organisers are non-expert in the running of such events and he/she does not rely on any aspect of the advice opinions or rules of the Golden Globe in making the decision to attempt this Race."

What I mean by implications is...  It seems Don doesn't claim to be an expert and would argue that we shouldn't be expecting the management of this event to be on par with major events like VOR, Vendee Globe, Route de Rhum, etc.  And he was clear with the competitors about that, at least to some extent.  It seemed there was an acknowledgment that there would be some degree of "figuring out as we go along".   It seems that this was really more about the adventure and nostalgia and experimentation with a throw-back concept, rather than trying to be an expertly managed world-class offshore racing event.  While plenty of things have occurred that produce valid concern (particularly if sailor safety is impacted), my thoughts about this have caused me to try to cut Don some slack when things seem inconsistent and/or he seems to have failed to anticipate scenarios, etc.  To me the major question about whether or not it's irresponsible is a matter of whether or not those organizational failures are beyond what the sailors themselves anticipated.

One thing I really like about this event, for better or worse, is that it gives me a valid personal question of "Could I do this?  If so, how would I do?  Where would I be in the fleet?"  I think I could achieve the budget (but not the time).  If I assumed the time, would I commit myself adequately to preparation?  I don't have the short-handed experience or enough knowledge about the steering devices, celestial navigation, and at-sea repair techniques to do it yet, but I'd like to know more about those things and could use training / prep time to do it.  I do have some decent amateur offshore sailing experience and I believe myself to be an above average amateur sailor.  So...  if I found the time to prepare properly, and I wasn't unfortunate enough to be capsized and dismasted in one of these little things, I'd like to think I'd be past Hobart by now, but I really have no idea.  I guess my point is that, for a typical "guy with a desk job and a sailing hobby", there's an appeal to this that's different from the alternatives of writing a check to do a Clipper leg or taking out a second mortgage to shoot for a Transpac, Sydney-Hobart, Newport-Bermuda, or similar campaign.  And ultimately, I think that and the nostalgic element are Don's goal, regardless of the flaws in execution.

Well, giving up about a year of your life, being essentially incommunicado, is probably a lot more expensive than that second mortgage Transpac in the big picture.  And that "expensive" Transpac has a 99+% chance you'll get there and back in one piece rather than the 50% (so far) chance of not ending up with a broken boat in Capetown - or losing it all and getting a free helicopter ride - that this "event" seems to offer you.   

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Well, giving up about a year of your life, being essentially incommunicado, is probably a lot more expensive than that second mortgage Transpac in the big picture.  And that "expensive" Transpac has a 99+% chance you'll get there and back in one piece rather than the 50% (so far) chance of not ending up with a broken boat in Capetown - or losing it all and getting a free helicopter ride - that this "event" seems to offer you.   

Good thoughts.  I'm not actually considering doing "the next edition".  Just saying this offers some unique appeal, FWIW.

Personally I don't understand how it validates anything - people circumnavigate on their own all the time. Every year folks leave from Cape Town to Perth - fewer do Auckland - Cape Horn, but people still do. 

You do it on the boat you prepare on your own terms, the weather forecasts of your own choice - the risks you accept/mitigate on your own terms.

What's Don providing that makes it more genuine? He imposes more arbitrary rules than any other offshore event. He owns your story so you can't even retell it on your own terms. If you were into the adventure you can do it without him - if you want to write it down for your grandkids you can do it without him, if you're looking to do a documentary you can do it without him.

• Downvote 1
7 hours ago, littlechay said:
8 hours ago, spyderpig said:

Chay - I suspect all this nonsense is the answer to your question fired at the RO a few days ago. The bastard is listening!

2 hours ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Chay - I suspect all this nonsense is the answer to your question fired at the RO a few days ago. The bastard is listening!

You have only just worked that out. I have have been laying word and subject traps here since the Atlantic. The average turn around time from him is 3.5 days.

On the weekend a secret NOR amendment will come out mandating another lap. Once Heede is past Cape Town the Donald will cancel it. That only leaves Slatts to deal with, which my guess is Don announcing his boat has been found abandoned along with an illegal laptop revealing a history of him Googling how to spoof a YB tracker, this is despite pap pictures of Slatts appearing in this thread of him with a glazed look buying weed in Amsterdam. She will arrive to much fanfare including 5 attempts to recreate that iconic image of RKJ starring aft for Don to capture on glass plate, on canvas and in bronze. Both she and Don will be knighted to recognise their great effort of avoiding make believe SO ice, she and Don will marry and move into Heede's apartment as he is starts his 3rd lap. A lifesize cardboard cutout of RKJ will be best man and the other Robin will give Suzi away in exchange for her mast as an illegal backup for his next edition attempt. They will honeymoon in a cardboard box they call RKJ, sitting atop an ant heap in the middle of the Gobi Desert to help Suzi get over her saltwater phobia. They will have a child, a baby girl and call it Joshua. On the eve of her 21st birthday her father will finally release onboard analogue images of this race for the world to wonder over, mainly wondering why her mother was the only entrant.

Now I betcha he reports shortly that Suzi is experiencing really weird nightmares. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

On the weekend a secret NOR amendment will come out mandating another lap. Once Heede is past Cape Town the Donald will cancel it. That only leaves Slatts to deal with, which my guess is Don announcing his boat has been found abandoned along with an illegal laptop revealing a history on Googling how to spoof a YB tracker, despite pap pictures of Slatts appearing in this thread of him with a glazed look buying weed in Amsterdam. She will arrive to much fanfare including 5 attempts to recreate that iconic image of RKJ starring aft for Don to capture on glass plate, on canvas and in bronze. Both she and Don will be knighted to recognise their great effort of avoiding make believe SO ice, she and Don will marry and move into Heede's apartment as he is starts his 5th lap. A lifesize cardboard cutout of RKJ was best man and the other Robin will give Suzi away in exchange for her mast as a backup for his next edition attempt. They will honeymoon in a cardboard box they call RKJ, sitting atop an ant heap in the middle of the Gobi Desert to help Suzi get over her saltwater phobia. They will have a child, a baby girl and call it Joshua. On the eve of her 21st birthday her father will finally release onboard analogue images of this race for the world to wonder over, mainly wondering why her mother was the only entrant.

Now I betcha he reports shortly that Suzi is experiencing really weird nightmares. 

Fuck that's funny, you couldn't make that shit up ... hang on ... what? ...

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

What I mean by implications is...  It seems Don doesn't claim to be an expert and would argue that we shouldn't be expecting the management of this event to be on par with major events like VOR, Vendee Globe, Route de Rhum, etc.

That was me making a point about some RO craziness that I have now forgotton as it has been surpassed. I have come to the conclusion to have the SI's make sense, you have to first get really drunk and read quickly before sobering up.

14 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You have only just worked that out. I have have been laying word and subject traps here since the Atlantic. The average turn around time from him is 3.5 days.

On the weekend a secret NOR amendment will come out mandating another lap. Once Heede is past Cape Town the Donald will cancel it. That only leaves Slatts to deal with, which my guess is Don announcing his boat has been found abandoned along with an illegal laptop revealing a history of him Googling how to spoof a YB tracker, this is despite pap pictures of Slatts appearing in this thread of him with a glazed look buying weed in Amsterdam. She will arrive to much fanfare including 5 attempts to recreate that iconic image of RKJ starring aft for Don to capture on glass plate, on canvas and in bronze. Both she and Don will be knighted to recognise their great effort of avoiding make believe SO ice, she and Don will marry and move into Heede's apartment as he is starts his 3rd lap. A lifesize cardboard cutout of RKJ will be best man and the other Robin will give Suzi away in exchange for her mast as an illegal backup for his next edition attempt. They will honeymoon in a cardboard box they call RKJ, sitting atop an ant heap in the middle of the Gobi Desert to help Suzi get over her saltwater phobia. They will have a child, a baby girl and call it Joshua. On the eve of her 21st birthday her father will finally release onboard analogue images of this race for the world to wonder over, mainly wondering why her mother was the only entrant.

It might be my turn to say "man, just put down the bottle and get some sleep.  That was some stream of consciousness there."

On 11/28/2018 at 9:52 AM, DtM said:

Don't hold your breathe waiting for a response.

Well I got a response. An open and honest one too. Kudos to Don. 

Hi there....none are getting them daily but some are getting them occasionally and all entrants share their own positions on chat sessions every day if their HF is working. some are getting tracker positions often and this is allowed under the Notice of Race but not intended .....all HF comms are free except for routing...so anything that is public information is free. GGR has been considering taking the GPS co-ordinates off the tracker for the past two months but it has proven impossible so we have now stopped the practice ...all the best. Don

Drunk posting. I’ve done it before with the same type of run-on musings that JS posted. Lol

Keep up the fun. It is currently the most interesting thing in this race. Go Susie, go!

7 hours ago, littlechay said:

Well I got a response. An open and honest one too. Kudos to Don. 

Yeah his operative words being "allowed under the Notice of Race but not intended" and  "GGR has been considering taking the GPS co-ordinates off the tracker for the past two months"

So missed it and didn't cotton until around 3 months after the race started. There has been a lot of this made up on the go stuff, some ignored, some covered up and some modified like this. Good lesson for anyone writing their own RoR and ignoring Offshore Regs and the history how they have evolved through trial and error and in some cases tragedy. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Woods Rider said:

Drunk posting. I’ve done it before with the same type of run-on musings that JS posted. Lol

I object to the inference I was drunk posting that drivel, I was simply in entertainment mode as going technical about this race is a shallow field for anyone wanting to plough it.

If I was drunk I would have added Don insisted his nuptials with Suzie were broadcast live exclusively on HF, despite putting up the whole wedding thing on Instagram.

It is easy to drift over bullshit things like these competitors are reinacting a 1968 marketing frontier and posters like myself using scarcism to question the RO and this races bottom line.

For instance. I look at statistics of both crewed and SH races around the world since 1968 where for this remember race in its first 50th edition having 3 competitors or a significant number still going at the time plucked out of the SO and costing millions of bucks That simple statistic defies fucking imagination and simply means this GGR thing is cashing every cheque available from tax payers to benefit the offshore racing community to prosecute a nonsense race.

The RO of this race is on the record of saying World Sailings Offshore Regs don't apply and sprouting that is a feature of this race. I have a lot of admiration for the RO trying to replicate someone climbing Mt Everest wearing only thongs and a pair of shorts, but that thinking is nonsense.

The RO's clearly deoesn't give a flying fuck about competitors and so changes RoR midstream aka the Peche incident to keep his marketing dream alive. Begs the question if superficial also applies to competors. Like if Susie thinking her self as a serious SH sailor what is she doing chasing this and not part of the Fig fleet or instead of this nonsence being on a Class 40 and doing the Route de Rumb?

The reality is the GGR is in essence an expensive amateur fraud routine and other than for the aging maths teacher topping off his already to die for CV or say a Dutch rower are both envied by no-one in the real world of both precision and serious offshore sailing.

More to the point this GGR shit sucks up valuable resources and dollars better employed elsewhere to prosecute all forms of offshore racing.

That all said this GGR thing was probably worth the experiment to help guide serious offshore race programess so they don't fade away.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I object to the inference I was drunk posting that drivel, I was simply in entertainment mode as going technical about this race is a shallow field for anyone wanting to plough it.

If I was drunk I would have added Don insisted his nuptials with Suzie were broadcast live exclusively on HF, despite putting up the whole wedding thing on Instagram.

It is easy to drift over bullshit things like these competitors are reinacting a 1968 marketing frontier and posters like myself using scarcism to question the RO and this races bottom line.

For instance. I look at statistics of both crewed and SH races around the world since 1968 where for this remember race in its first 50th edition having 3 competitors or a significant number still going at the time plucked out of the SO and costing millions of bucks That simple statistic defies fucking imagination and simply means this GGR thing is cashing every cheque available from tax payers to benefit the offshore racing community to prosecute a nonsense race.

The RO of this race is on the record of saying World Sailings Offshore Regs don't apply and sprouting that is a feature of this race. I have a lot of admiration for the RO trying to replicate someone climbing Mt Everest wearing only thongs and a pair of shorts, but that thinking is nonsense.

The RO's clearly deoesn't give a flying fuck about competitors and so changes RoR midstream aka the Peche incident to keep his marketing dream alive. Begs the question if superficial also applies to competors. Like if Susie thinking her self as a serious SH sailor what is she doing chasing this and not part of the Fig fleet or instead of this nonsence being on a Class 40 and doing the Route de Rumb?

The reality is the GGR is in essence an expensive amateur fraud and other than for the aging maths teacher topping off his already to die for CV or maybe a Dutch rower are envied by no-one in the real world of offshore sailing.

More to the point this GGR shit sucks up valuable resources and dollars better employed elsewhere to prosecute all forms of offshore racing.

That said it was probably worth the experiment.

Ouch.

At this point I think she has shown she is as serious as that guy out in front for not only is she still in this...thing...but so far she's kept her boat in relative one piece.  There are many roads that can lead to Rome and maybe she choose the one she could afford, get sponsorship for so as to have something on her CV, as well and making a name for herself, when she goes around hand out looking for help in getting to Fig or Rumb.  Hell, maybe she's angling to try and get on a VOR boat and saw this as her ticket.

Whatever her motivation for joining this keystone cop movie, I would not disrespect her accomplishments to date.  She is an accomplished single handed sailor for the simple fact that she's sailed 2/3's the way around the planet in a pig boat by herself, faced knock downs, boat issues, calms navigating mainly by non electronic means and sits fourth in a race. Even as this race is close to a joke, those sailors (down to Tapio) are inspirations to many others who dream or just support.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

Ouch...

Maybe "Ouch" but this race is what it is in terms of negative impacts it propogates towards RTW sailing in the public eye = sponsor funding opportunities.

PS. BTW the GGR are not unique, but simply the most recent of RO grave robbers on the RTW racing scene. For instance history is already showing Volvo probably fucked crewed RTW racing by puting their marketing ideals ahead of the sport itself.

tumblr_p6rea1QmYk1why0fzo1_1280.jpg.2c63747a7a327e63339f8e6054945d03.jpg

Interesting post from Dick Koopmans on MS Facebook page.  It obviously riled Don as there is quite a long discussion. Worth heading over for a look. 

https://www.facebook.com/270899573350375/posts/592680897838906/

UPDATE DICK KOOPMANS #12

Mark will be at Cape Horn this weekend! He has been there before. He told me before the start, he will feel nearly at home then and just needs to sail the last leg. He also told me that this last part took longer than he then thought. So he will be happy but he also knows it is still a long way to France. There will be a NW gale during the rounding. The gale will be there for about 8 hours. In time its manageable but it is close to shore and some dangerous waves can develop. I expect Mark to hand steer for most of the time if the sea state asks for it. After the storm he will have a short period of headwinds and then he can set the spinnaker I hope. Mark has gained a lot of miles on Jean Luc. This was expected but his average speed will drop after Cape Horn. The winds will be more from aside and in general he will get some headwinds. This is good for the race. Marks sail sets are relative good for this last part and I think that if he changes his sails regularly for optimum speed, he will be half a knot faster than Jean Luc. Jean Luc still has his mast problem so he might sail half a knot slower. With a predicted daily average of around 120 miles for Mark and 105 miles for Jean Luc, Mark will be home after 7314/120=61 days and Jean Luc will be home in 6164/105=59 days. (Distance from tracker today)
Jean Luc will lose a day in his “penalty box” so that makes them finish within a day! All on paper and without too much reliability but you see it is still a race.
Uku and Susie need 155 miles daily to be there on the same date.  This is much faster than their average and not realistic. But Jean Luc can lose his mast and also Mark can have damage before the finish. Therefore Uku and Susie can still both be on the podium.
Earlier I mentioned Nehaj from Susanne in the Longue Route. She is behind Mark but makes around the same speed. In my last voice message to Mark I mentioned her to keep him focused. She might be in contact with Mark by HF radio because she seems to know lots of details about his cold wet and leaking boat. The 40 ft aluminium v-shaped boat of Susanne is 100% watertight and fitted with a heater. She will sail in much more comfort than most GGR boats but that is the difference between a race and a challenge. 
There is some discussion about the positions from the GGR tracker send to the ships by HF radio. Looking at the accurate routes around the forbidden areas it looks as if nearly all boats use this now and then. Although this was not the idea for the GGR, it is not fair to change the rule halfway and forbid it. The boats in front have an extra advantage with it. I proposed GGR to let it start for all boats after passing Cape Horn. Then it would be equal sailing for all boats from start to finish. Another comment on rules is the 18 hr penalty on Jean Luc for using his Iridium phone. If it is compulsory to have two working Iridium phones onboard, you cannot expect not to use them when you know that your partner and family are very concerned about your safety. Especially if you are in a real dangerous sea with mast problems or other problems. In 1968 there were no trackers, Internet and reliable weather forecasts and reports. People at home had no specific reason to worry. Now they see all the dangers and even get them in bold capital letters on the GGR Facebook page.  If you stick to these rules just do not put a tracker on Internet and do not post any reports from the boats other than by HF radio. But for publicity it seems to be no problem to bend the rules.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe "Ouch" but this race is what it is in terms of negative impacts it propogates towards RTW sailing in the public eye = sponsor funding opportunities.

PS. BTW the GGR are not unique, but simply the most recent of RO grave robbers on the RTW racing scene. For instance history is already showing Volvo probably fucked crewed RTW racing by puting their marketing ideals ahead of the sport itself.

tumblr_p6rea1QmYk1why0fzo1_1280.jpg.2c63747a7a327e63339f8e6054945d03.jpg

Don't pull any punches with that image....

I agree with the viewpoint (I'll not touch the third rail of VOR).  I just wanted to stress the separation between the sailors and the event, Susie in particular since you mentioned her.  Are they complicit in "robbing the grave" or marks, conned by the sailing version of a snake old salesman?  I feel the latter and it was not till the loose application of rules and punishments that maybe got some thinking this was not what was originally sold to them.

I look at Heede's approach to this thing.  As y'all said, he came prepared and he was smart to maybe see the con and play it back.  I take it as he used his vast experience to play the game.  A sailor like Susie, to me, was the opposite, she got the sponsorship and certainly came in prepared from an equipment stand point (DHL, we get there or we pay should be their motto), but her inexperienced in the ways of the con allows(ed) her to be used by the RO to enhance the show.  She can learn a lot from the event outside of the sailing.

The premise of this race should not be ignored for as someone said some posts back, it does bring the idea of amateur RTW racing within reach.  The execution of this race....I think a inland Sailing club could have done a better job...not with standing, if done right, with solid rules, more vessel options, certainly better marketing and media, could be a success.

14 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Interesting post from Dick Koopmans on MS Facebook page.  It obviously riled Don as there is quite a long discussion. Worth heading over for a look. 

https://www.facebook.com/270899573350375/posts/592680897838906/

UPDATE DICK KOOPMANS #12

Mark will be at Cape Horn this weekend! He has been there before. He told me before the start, he will feel nearly at home then and just needs to sail the last leg. He also told me that this last part took longer than he then thought. So he will be happy but he also knows it is still a long way to France. There will be a NW gale during the rounding. The gale will be there for about 8 hours. In time its manageable but it is close to shore and some dangerous waves can develop. I expect Mark to hand steer for most of the time if the sea state asks for it. After the storm he will have a short period of headwinds and then he can set the spinnaker I hope. Mark has gained a lot of miles on Jean Luc. This was expected but his average speed will drop after Cape Horn. The winds will be more from aside and in general he will get some headwinds. This is good for the race. Marks sail sets are relative good for this last part and I think that if he changes his sails regularly for optimum speed, he will be half a knot faster than Jean Luc. Jean Luc still has his mast problem so he might sail half a knot slower. With a predicted daily average of around 120 miles for Mark and 105 miles for Jean Luc, Mark will be home after 7314/120=61 days and Jean Luc will be home in 6164/105=59 days. (Distance from tracker today)
Jean Luc will lose a day in his “penalty box” so that makes them finish within a day! All on paper and without too much reliability but you see it is still a race.
Uku and Susie need 155 miles daily to be there on the same date.  This is much faster than their average and not realistic. But Jean Luc can lose his mast and also Mark can have damage before the finish. Therefore Uku and Susie can still both be on the podium.
Earlier I mentioned Nehaj from Susanne in the Longue Route. She is behind Mark but makes around the same speed. In my last voice message to Mark I mentioned her to keep him focused. She might be in contact with Mark by HF radio because she seems to know lots of details about his cold wet and leaking boat. The 40 ft aluminium v-shaped boat of Susanne is 100% watertight and fitted with a heater. She will sail in much more comfort than most GGR boats but that is the difference between a race and a challenge. 
There is some discussion about the positions from the GGR tracker send to the ships by HF radio. Looking at the accurate routes around the forbidden areas it looks as if nearly all boats use this now and then. Although this was not the idea for the GGR, it is not fair to change the rule halfway and forbid it. The boats in front have an extra advantage with it. I proposed GGR to let it start for all boats after passing Cape Horn. Then it would be equal sailing for all boats from start to finish. Another comment on rules is the 18 hr penalty on Jean Luc for using his Iridium phone. If it is compulsory to have two working Iridium phones onboard, you cannot expect not to use them when you know that your partner and family are very concerned about your safety. Especially if you are in a real dangerous sea with mast problems or other problems. In 1968 there were no trackers, Internet and reliable weather forecasts and reports. People at home had no specific reason to worry. Now they see all the dangers and even get them in bold capital letters on the GGR Facebook page.  If you stick to these rules just do not put a tracker on Internet and do not post any reports from the boats other than by HF radio. But for publicity it seems to be no problem to bend the rules.

Me thinks a nerve was struck.  I think Marco nailed it by calling Don out on the hypocrisy regarding rules and punishment.

JL VDH only used his phone as he was retiring form the event...but changed his mind.

L VDH DID NOT retire from the race at any time. 

So Don, which is it?  You cannot "change your mind" if you have not retired, yet you clearly commented that "he was retiring"< but later say "did not retire".  That's mealy mouth talk to CYA, because you can't have both.

Looking ahead, Heede may pick up a good ride for a few days while Slats takes it on the nose for a similar time then have to cross a hole.  I figure there will be compression extension going north, but I doubt Heede will nurse his mast.  He's pretty much said as such by commenting he continues on till he crosses the line or it breaks.

18 hours for reassuring family members he is okay.....that's low, damning, and arbitrary showing the pettiness of this RO.  I hope Heede takes the idea suggested here to plan a crossing and back such that he can just stay below the line but position the boat in the best spot to go north again thus giving a wonderful finger to the RO.

1 hour ago, bucc5062 said:

So Don, which is it?  You cannot "change your mind" if you have not retired, yet you clearly commented that "he was retiring"< but later say "did not retire".  That's mealy mouth talk to CYA, because you can't have both.

FWIW...  My guess is that he meant...  VDH was intending to retire, so he went ahead and used his phone, and then became more optimistic about the mast before proceeding to actually retire, and changed his mind without actually retiring at any point.  I think "He was retiring" was a poor choice of words when he meant to say "He was intending to retire", or something along those lines.

3 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Don't pull any punches with that image....

I agree with the viewpoint (I'll not touch the third rail of VOR).  I just wanted to stress the separation between the sailors and the event,

Bucc you write replies by the tonne, yet I'm starting to think that maybe you don't read between the lines to what you are replying to. 

I will therefore be blunt.

For most, pre race,  particularly in knowledgable Europe from the beginning viewed the GGR as a two horse race between Heede and Peche with Slatts #3 as a disrupter. I got the impression early on Peche having not lived in France but Australia for 15 or more years pre race and his RTW experience being crewed was a point of difference between the two in some people's minds.

Evidence of that implied RO favoritism or something and my view the rules have been bent by the RO to favour certain competitors are as follows.

Peche's boat was one of all but the few measured by the RO and deemed not to comply by way of changes to internal Rustler fitout and so incurred a weight penalty in the form of having to carry an extra battery. As a comparison Tapio took his production S&S reduced it to 90% of the hull only, threw away the rest and rebuilt it keel up including a new deck and a plethora of big internal changes including extra bulkheads etc. Yet he passed the RO's measurement criteria without a penalty. Pre race that decision msking by the RO pricked my attention that something wasn't quite right.

My next inkling of the RO having a favourite or something  between Heede and Peche or maybe not warming to Phillipe's blunt communication style, came from the stop over in the Canaries where Peche was the first boat in. The RO bagged the shit out of Peche's go light rig approach (same as Slatts but not Heede) and of hanked foresails and his Vane selection etc. 

Peche ultimately was DSQ'd by the RO on the approach to Cape Town over use of his Sat Phone to organise a pitstop. Both Kopar (before in Atlantic with detail Peche was unaware of and penalty outside SI's) and Heede (afterwards in the Pacific and still penalty outside SIs) did exactly the same thing but both only incurred a time penalty, not in the SI's and not offered to Peche.

Up until Peche's DSQ I posted things like run miles and detailed weather analysis here on this thread. For example you may recall Bucc at around the juncture of Peche's DSQ that I insisted that Suzie if she did not get south quick smart she would be fucked, but that was contry to your view she go east to cover those on the inside. She said in Hobart not ploughing south was a huge mistake and  my guess is she would be going around the Horn now and up Heedes arse if not for making that.

Anyway after the Peche DSQ I ceased investing any time in posting race info here on account in my view this was no longer a race but a contrived event. Everything that has transpired since has reinforced my view that this race is being overseen by a RO motivated by self interest and with little regard to competors. That is no different than Volvo as the RO of the VOR post Whitbread. Maybe it is some sort of RO disease?

That viewpoint above by the way has no bearing on my view of the outcome. If the maths teacher is the first over the line, then that is quite frankly a superb achievement by any measure. 

3 hours ago, littlechay said:

Interesting post from Dick Koopmans on MS Facebook page.  It obviously riled Don as there is quite a long discussion. Worth heading over for a look

Thanks Chay. The chickens are now coming home to roost and issues identified in this thread long ago...long overdue some commentators stepped up. He makes a very good point about this tracker positional rule change only impacting on those still  in SO and electric fence to contend with. Heede already around CH and outside of Slatts worry now.

38 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Bucc you write replies by the tonne, yet I'm starting to think that maybe you don't read between the lines to what you are replying to. 

I will therefore be blunt.

For most, pre race,  particularly in knowledgable Europe from the beginning viewed the GGR as a two horse race between Heede and Peche with Slatts #3 as a disrupter. I got the impression early on Peche having not lived in France but Australia for 15 or more years pre race and his RTW experience being crewed was a point of difference between the two in some people's minds.

Evidence of that implied RO favoritism or something and my view the rules have been bent by the RO to favour certain competitors are as follows.

Peche's boat was one of all but the few measured by the RO and deemed not to comply by way of changes to internal Rustler fitout and so incurred a weight penalty in the form of having to carry an extra battery. As a comparison Tapio took his production S&S reduced it to 90% of the hull only, threw away the rest and rebuilt it keel up including a new deck and a plethora of big internal changes including extra bulkheads etc. Yet he passed the RO's measurement criteria without a penalty. Pre race that decision msking by the RO pricked my attention that something wasn't quite right.

My next inkling of the RO having a favourite or something  between Heede and Peche or maybe not warming to Phillipe's blunt communication style, came from the stop over in the Canaries where Peche was the first boat in. The RO bagged the shit out of Peche's go light rig approach (same as Slatts but not Heede) and of hanked foresails and his Vane selection etc. 

Peche ultimately was DSQ'd by the RO on the approach to Cape Town over use of his Sat Phone to organise a pitstop. Both Kopar (before in Atlantic with detail Peche was unaware of and penalty outside SI's) and Heede (afterwards in the Pacific and still penalty outside SIs) did exactly the same thing but both only incurred a time penalty, not in the SI's and not offered to Peche.

Up until Peche's DSQ I posted things like run miles and detailed weather analysis here on this thread. For example you may recall Bucc at around the juncture of Peche's DSQ that I insisted that Suzie if she did not get south quick smart she would be fucked, but that was contry to your view she go east to cover those on the inside. She said in Hobart not ploughing south was a huge mistake and  my guess is she would be going around the Horn now and up Heedes arse if not for making that.

Anyway after the Peche DSQ I ceased investing any time in posting race info here on account in my view this was no longer a race but a contrived event. Everything that has transpired since has reinforced my view that this race is being overseen by a RO motivated by self interest and with little regard to competors. That is no different than Volvo as the RO of the VOR post Whitbread. Maybe it is some sort of RO disease?

That viewpoint above by the way has no bearing on my view of the outcome. If the maths teacher is the first over the line, then that is quite frankly a superb achievement by any measure. 

Sir, I know we got history, but in this thread I've been as close to quiet as a door mouse and deferential as well for I acknowledge the skills and talents of folks like you and LC.  I'm kind like WTF because I agree with you so did you not read that?  Even now, you make valid points that I agree with so sir, take a moment.  I'm not going to bow down before you, but I certainly respect the vast knowledge you seem to carry.

Jack, I have an opinion and back in the Southern Atlantic I took one and was wrong.  There have been a couple where I was close to right and that is the nature of following this thing.  You can be as blunt as you want on the event, for I'll walk lock step with you.  I'l  still make my guesses on short term efforts, most times I'll be wrong, can you get that I'm not the enemy?

Frankly, at this point if the top 5 make over the line it is more a testament to their skill and commitment then anything that applies to this event.  I would love to see Susie in the Fig, hell, in a VG, but I figure she'd need need those first two to get the feel of a speed boat in action.  Were I rich, I'd sponsor her in a moment, not because she's female, but that she's shown a moxie at 27 that not many have and I'd like to see if she's got depth.  If nothing else, that is the potential good thing that come from this mess.  A young new talent and man, is that now what we need in long distance racing?

• Like 4

Looks like Slats is getting in close to shore...  with that wind direction, I'm guessing he might be getting a little protection in there?  I'm wondering if he might leave Hermite to starboard and then gybe over to get around Hornos...  to limit exposure to the heaviest conditions.  Would that be viable?

The weight of an extra battery? Good grief, was than an AA or D cell? Even 50kg of LA wouldn't have any effect on these slugs.

The odd thing is that we can attribute the lunacy of the rules and their enforcement to a single blubbering idiot. But the competitors went in with their eyes either wide open or closed tight - either way, they're culpable, too.

2 hours ago, bucc5062 said:

Jack, I have an opinion and back in the Southern Atlantic I took one and was wrong. 

I seldom post on a PC and so that incident sort of flopped in off the fingers because it occured in same time scale. Sorry totally irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Looks like Slats is getting in close to shore...  with that wind direction, I'm guessing he might be getting a little protection in there?  I'm wondering if he might leave Hermite to starboard and then gybe over to get around Hornos...  to limit exposure to the heaviest conditions.  Would that be viable?

Definitely doable. Paso Norte is easy and the passage down between the islands and around Isla Hall is OK, but depends on what charts he has. There is a  nasty rock awash that is usually visible and Cathedral Rocks (pic attached) are picturesque. The Chileans might object to somebody taking an inside passage as they are not big on allowing the right of innocent passage. 

2051202755_2008-03-14at10-32-35.thumb.jpg.6268a76af8365384b2437991d7fcec3a.jpg 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, littlechay said:

Definitely doable. Paso Norte is easy and the passage down between the islands and around Isla Hall is OK, but depends on what charts he has. There is a  nasty rock awash that is usually visible and Cathedral Rocks (pic attached) are picturesque. The Chileans might object to somebody taking an inside passage as they are not big on allowing the right of innocent passage. 

2051202755_2008-03-14at10-32-35.thumb.jpg.6268a76af8365384b2437991d7fcec3a.jpg 

That is beautiful but those rock look very unforgiving.

1 hour ago, spyderpig said:

Good to see Heede really taking it easy

image.thumb.png.be3ca29da28cfa3d9b15a408f4395cf2.png

Nicely hooked into the Falkland current.  It provides a good boost for slow boats.  Can be difficult to find the best flow so this is possibly another example of his excellent preparation and forecasting network. 

31 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Nicely hooked into the Falkland current.  It provides a good boost for slow boats.  Can be difficult to find the best flow so this is possibly another example of his excellent preparation and forecasting network. 

He is nicely placed in a strong current.  Almost like he can sense it :-)  Even still, remove the best current (1.6 for color) and he's still hauling the mail.

15 minutes ago, bucc5062 said:

He is nicely placed in a strong current.  Almost like he can sense it :-)  Even still, remove the best current (1.6 for color) and he's still hauling the mail.

Yea;  he's on it.  Knows that MS is coming and can't take it easy.  Hope his lashings hold ! 

17 hours ago, littlechay said:

Yea;  he's on it.  Knows that MS is coming and can't take it easy.  Hope his lashings hold ! 

He is enjoying the outcome of a small intense low to the SE at the moment but some models suggest that is going to get squeezed north west and may rollover the top of him. If so and he gets stuck on its eastern flank then it will get very sporty and head on into he and the current, not nice, albeit not for long.

He is in a bit of a catch 22 now. Ease west to stay on its western flank to avoid that ...but then he might end up in a bit of a dead zone once it has dissapeared, compared to being further east and be then watching Slatts get bigger in the rear mirror.

Difficult call while looking at those lashings.

6 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

He is enjoying the outcome of a small intense low to the SE at the moment but some models suggest that is going to get squeezed north west and may rollover the top of him. If so and he gets stuck on its eastern flank then it will get very sporty and head on into he and the current, not nice, albeit not for long.

He is in a bit of a catch 22 now. Ease west to stay on its western flank to avoid that ...but then he might end up in a bit of a dead zone once it has dissapeared, compared to being further east and be then watching Slatts get bigger in the rear mirror.

Difficult call while looking at those lashings.

Oh to have a picture of what he's done there.  it would certainly make for lively debate.

Stepping Windy forward the low that starts tight looks to start expanding as it moves east and give him room to work eastward as it goes by.  From the looks of it he would want to be east of the rhumb line by 5 days or get stuck in that light zone to the west, as you point out.  Seems that Slats has the tough time with just a day or so of downwind sailing then its either beam, forward or he turns more east to get both current and get around a big light zone 5 days out.

An interesting calculation would be at what point would Heede still have enough distance (time) such that Slats cannot get past him.  If Slats is inside 18 hours and wins by a POS call by an arbitrary RO...fuck this race.

Interesting routing by Sinclair...  I wonder if he'll be stopping (or even retiring) in Adelaide, or if he's just sailing through there for some fun and/or the emotional relief of seeing land.  At first I thought he was going up there to get the shift before gybing for Hobart, but he kept going and is now in the light stuff.

3 hours ago, Applespider said:

There’s a comment on the GGR page that he’s stopping in Adelaide and then carrying on as Chichester. 

Not just stopping but hauling out cleaning and anti-fouling .

8 minutes ago, littlechay said:

Not just stopping but hauling out cleaning and anti-fouling .

Can he stop for a night in decent hotel and a restaurant meal or 2?

4 minutes ago, mad said:

Well if the yard doesn't allow staying aboard whilst on the hard he'll have to I suppose ;) It is his home port so perhaps he can go home, see the mistress, etc.. 

2 hours ago, mad said:

Chichester had a 6 week stopover in Sydney having both repairs and modifications done to Gypsy Moth IV. No doubt he also partook in some nocturnal activities before Lady Chichester arrived. The Donald might have to arrange a knighthood for Capt Coconut to encourage him to depart.