• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, IMPROBABLE's tiller was 7', laminated of Kauri like the rest of her hull.  In breeze-on conditions under spinny, it took 2, even 3 drivers pushing and pulling on opposite sides of the tiller

Ok folks, here's a video intro to the Improbable story, and a new website is coming soon.  Sleddog, I hope you don't mind me taking license...;-)  

About to board red eye back to Maine.  Been a busy few weeks.  I probably have a week of Labor just in the windows, but I do like the way they turned out.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Needs more red.

Definitely.  That's coming later.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2021 at 9:35 PM, Haji said:

others won't notice it as much as I do...

Yup.  When I was messing with the font I wanted to use for the name graphics on my boat, I kept fussing over (ultimately) really minor things.

The graphic artist said "no one will ever look at this as closely as you are right now.  Including you".

She was right.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sledracr said:

Yup.  When I was messing with the font I wanted to use for the name graphics on my boat, I kept fussing over (ultimately) really minor things.

Is this not the character and essence of true sailors and particularly the greatest sailors to constantly tweak and adjust sail shape and set in pursuit of perfection?

6 hours ago, Lowly Crew said:

Is this not the character and essence of true sailors and particularly the greatest sailors to constantly tweak and adjust sail shape and set in pursuit of perfection?

Well, maybe.  Or perhaps we're just crazy.

• Like 2

About to board red eye back to Maine.  Been a busy few weeks.  I probably have a week of Labor just in the windows, but I do like the way they turned out.

IMG_20210921_080446396_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210921_111033524.jpg

IMG_20210921_111042414.jpg

IMG_20210921_165602958_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210921_165614485_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210921_174148865_HDR.jpg

• Like 13
3 minutes ago, Lowly Crew said:
6 hours ago, Haji said:

Well, maybe.  Or perhaps we're just crazy.

I thought it was a prerequisite for sailors to be crazy.

Ime am notte siurre ist a prequisite, butte it helpes...........             :)

• Like 1

Ok folks, here's a video intro to the Improbable story, and a new website is coming soon.  Sleddog, I hope you don't mind me taking license...;-)

• Like 17

Indeed, nicely explained. Lots of folks feel this way about their old boats, cars, planes, etc. Few carry such a project through.

I had a chance to purchase a well-maintained 1966 Hillman SuperMinx in Cape Town two years ago. This model was my first car back in 1976, but chickened out and bought a 1996 Toyota Tazz for the same price instead, far more reliable.

33 minutes ago, TheDragon said:

Indeed, nicely explained. Lots of folks feel this way about their old boats, cars, planes, etc. Few carry such a project through.

I had a chance to purchase a well-maintained 1966 Hillman SuperMinx in Cape Town two years ago. This model was my first car back in 1976, but chickened out and bought a 1996 Toyota Tazz for the same price instead, far more reliable.

Nostalgia can go too far.

In the case of a Hillman - way too far.

• Like 1

Humber was an English car brand.

Their most famous model was the Humber Super Snipe (really) which should tell you all you need to know. :D

The Humber 80 and the Hillman Minx were badge engineered versions of the same car - sort of a Pontiac/Oldsmobile thing

• Like 1
On 9/25/2021 at 4:41 AM, Haji said:

whoa - skegectomy!

image.png.7bfb68185715a594a84aff1c3796bb71.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DtM said:

Are you going back to the all red paint job?

Red topsides for sure.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

Good vid,  good vibe, best wishes to you & if there's any support from this end of those races that you could use,  let me know.   It would be awesome to see you guys out here.

Thanks! There's a long ways to go...but that's good to know. 

• Like 1

I was just starting to get into sailing seriously at about age 8 when Improbable was at its peak. I remember reading, no not reading, devouring my fathers Yachting Magazine the moment I got home from school the day it arrived each month. Made a big impression then, and getting to watch your rebuild is a fascinating way to have that experience again. The boat is just loaded with good karma. Thanks for all the updates, it’s a really entertaining and meaningful thing to follow. 

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 5:41 AM, Haji said:

Very, very special Bruce. The Alameda boat yard smells I loved are still with me from our days remaking Rumbleseat.  You are almost unchanged, the Bruce I’ve known since 1981. Of my tremendous collection of photos, one floated up last year: we are on Improbable with your Dad, curmudgeon Len, just sailed under San Mateo Bridge heading south, and some young fella I no longer recall with a beard;your longtime friend from Santa Cruz, Arnie Hammer was along for the sail that day.

I look forward to more Improbable on its upcoming website.

aloha, Mara

social media moniker: WaterThruSun 

• Like 3
On 10/24/2018 at 4:08 PM, wingssail said:

Loving all the old stories about this boat, the design, the folks who raced it back in the day, and Bruce's posts about the work going on now. Fantastic!

We lived in Shilshole in the 90's when Len was living there on Improbable with a pretty Tico girl. We had a lot of good evenings on Improbable with her cooking and Len's stories. 

The boat was jam packed with cruising stuff, including, as I recall,  a huge inflatable rolled up and jammed under the cockpit and a 25hp motor, (or maybe it was forward) but it still sailed like a daemon. We cruised together a few times and Improbable could always beat us downwind in a breeze. Len could even beat us single handing Improbable and he was a real fan of the powerful and fast acting double cylinder hydraulic autopilot he'd made so he could keep surfing all night on single handed offshore passages. He was a hard driving sailor.

I've often remembered fondly the times together with a great sailor who loved his life and his boat, and the photos of the white and red hull graphics really bring all those memories back.

Thank You,

Fred

Fred, Wonderful to read your memories of Len and Improbable and….his gal in the 80’s was Dora , who I thought from Mexico, either she’s actually Tica or Len replaced devoted- to-Len Dora. It’s special to me, to read granular depiction of Len’s love and his mastermind of sailing , which so inspired to his core his son, Bruce. 
…..not too highfalutin!
Thank you, Fred 

Bruce!! Tricked-out windows , honed expertise…from your lifetime love and dedication, hours gobbling up Latitude38 ad boat designs…you polished and developed so many skills.

Wow, when I impromptu responded to your clip u sent me here, I had no idea the reach.

Name drop: I too met flirty scoundrel Tompkins, racing mid 80’s, crewing out of St Francis YC, Olympic class sailors, double-handed J35’s, Mexorc. At last, Las Hadas…I  tired of scene , jumped ship, cab to PV, returned to SFBay, begging u to help me escape being crew in male macho ego scene.

Sooo much fun !!! chartered out of Virgin Gorda, two gals in G-strings…driving a C&C39.

SIDEBAR: back in the days when fat wasn’t the norm- Bruce , u used to take away my Hagendaz quoting, “you can’t eat that” , even today 40 years later, I hear your voice when I think to eat ice cream. No lie.  and you whipped me into shape by inspiring crunches six pack,and running miles. thank u for this too, Bruce. Body beautiful:  later after we split, practically living at SFBay Bay Club, I looked like the cover of In-Shape magazine . You changed my life, Bruce. 

…BVI: We had the pick of the litters of men. Because on All the other boats,  the women were a fella’s gal. Fun fun fun.

Bless  you, Bruce…memories… You took me out on your boss’s, custom ULDB Spindle; your boss was a gentleman with a heart of gold, Sven Svendsen, owner Svendson’s Boat Yard - we lived next door in Victorian on Lafayette. In the Alameda Estuary you taught me to back and fill a single screw, cut away rigging, work and use marine radio. Our one day lesson launched me into the world of flying to ports, bareboat skipper-ing.

one opening Day on the Bay I took out the Medical Director and nursing staff of our unit on a 38 foot bareboat charter out of Sleeezalito. no one knew how to sail on this overcrowded boat except my sister, who got mad when I was yelling from foredeck to fall-off cause we were about to hit the just-under-surface rock in front of Alcatraz. Bruce, you know Twink(Renee): she threw up tiller, ducked below deck…memories. 

Bruce, thank you for teaching me how to read the wind on the water.

ahh, bareboat charters; finding a pal to be 1st mate was the hard part. some one with the time and money. A few I took with,  had never sailed before. 

thank you Bruce, for the gift of loving sailing, and thus, thank you Len and Improbable for giving Bruce his love of being one with the wind and water.

there is much to life of Bruce Schwab. Extrapolate my brief time in Bruce’s life, I am imagining the thousands he has helped hone sailing skills, improve their boats -rigging, power, design, win races. He’s quite the tactician. I passed on his knowledge -give SFBay Tide secrets, back eddies, to women’s sailboard Assoc. Once upon a time.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

social media moniker: WaterThruSun 

yikes.  :D

1 hour ago, Kenny Dumas said:

The Orcas have gone too far!!

Hopefully the orcas will like something like this...

Paul Bogataj Improbable rudder & insert.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

I hid it all…sooo embarrassed typing away and hitting send . Que Sera sera. 

It's all good.  There is a gravity field around Improbable, that has changed the trajectory of many lives. Your memories are a good example. There are many, many others affected; you're not alone. 

And I didn't just mean ex girlfriends...;-)

Btw, Dora is from Costa Rica. Her devotion to my dad was astounding, she helped to look after him to the day he died.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Wow.  Share some details on that?

I hear tubercles are like croutons. Definitely need em for Orca trolling. Paging Amati…

I wish I could afford to build the design by Paul Bogataj.  But such a thin high aspect ratio blade requires expensive engineering, tooling, and a narrow rectangular shaft, etc.  

But we'll get as close as we can using a 3" round carbon shaft.  The blade will have to be thicker, but that's not too big a compromise.  It will still be SO much better and lighter and easier steering than before.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

damn. I must have been one of the lucky few who caught the original, lol. I was thinking about your post-Haji mini-bio all day, and while working on a boat too, improbably enough. It was great! Youth is to be lived! 

If we were all lucky enough to never grow up life would be better - just ask that "flirty old commodore" lol.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

I was referencing your social media (Twitter) since you posted your handle, not your post here.  lol.  :D :ph34r:

• Like 1

Hey Haji,Have really enjoyed following the project.You still have a couple of years to get Improbable back down to Australia for its 50th Anniversary of its only Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race Start and try and better it’s most credible 5th place overall.Insert from 1973 Official Race Program attached.

5621B498-EF4A-4DEF-9A0A-DE1793EDB9E9.png

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Haji said:

Hopefully the orcas will like something like this...

Paul Bogataj Improbable rudder & insert.jpg

Who is designing and fabbing this new spade? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

9D3C2B42-281E-4C21-AD7C-E315EEFC42E4.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Rotnest Express said:

Hey Haji,Have really enjoyed following the project.You still have a couple of years to get Improbable back down to Australia for its 50th Anniversary of its only Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race Start and try and better it’s most credible 5th place overall.Insert from 1973 Official Race Program attached.

5621B498-EF4A-4DEF-9A0A-DE1793EDB9E9.png

It would be awesome if Improbable could race Sydney Hobart again!  However getting all the work done and the boat to OZ is a financial challenge far beyond my means.  Making a Transpac or a PacCup in 3yrs will be tough enough.

59 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Wow, does Pretty Penny look good.

Paul Bogataj did the shape in that screenshot.  He did AC foils back in the IACC days.  He also did the foils & bulb on Ocean Planet.  

Neil Racicot (formerly at Betts) has been pitching in as well. Will be talking with Ted Van Dusen and Larry Tuttle about building the rudder shaft, and I'll build the blade myself onto said shaft.

However, for one stop design and engineering, I'd also recommend talking to Paul Beiker.  We works a lot with Betts and they do some amazing stuff together.  That's what I'd do if I had the $.

• Like 1
On 6/5/2018 at 5:27 PM, Left Shift said:

I spent an afternoon off Waikiki in 1973 with Bill Lee's girlfriend (at the time) teaching a few of us how to surf a sailboat properly.  We had done the Transpac on New World, the weird, wonderful Spencer 69' ultra-light schooner.  We had knocked off some 300 mile days so we kind of knew what we were doing, but really just wanted to go sailing on Improbable.  (Or was it Impossible?   It was a long time ago!)

Anyway, her teaching method was to stand behind you and as the boat lifted on a wave to slap you hard on the butt on the side the wave was coming from and say, "Feel that - feel that pressure?"  "Now work it and find the low spot"  Most fun instruction I ever had.  The slog back up hill to Ala wai was less fun.

Bill Lee always said it was faster to go through waves than over them.  

❤️ Topflight wave surf instruction. You lucky guy. Right place right time.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:05 PM, AlR said:

Peterson?  He didn't sail on Improbable.  How do you think it had a profound effect on his career?

Wowzers. Had. I idea how special the company and ride I was on w Bruce and his Dad. Love reading the tales.

16 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

Wish you hadn't hidden it all.  it was heartfelt and nostalgic and authentic.  Something this place needs more of.

• Like 1
On 9/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, carcrash said:

On our first cross country trip, left Los Angeles in July, to Maine, Florida, returned just before Christmas. We got hit by Hurricane Sandy when we were in Long Beach NY. The entire island was underwater. Out truck we parked on a bridge, so it was one of the very few vehicles not destroyed. But I put all out stuff in a garage, which collapsed, letting everything be soaked in the toxic water. We spent a week trying to clean stuff, but ended up having to literally back the truck up to a dump and push everything into the dump.

But by this time, we had been on the road for July, August, September, and October. So we knew what we actually needed. When we left LA, we took everything we could imagine we would use, but we just replaced what we actually DID use. Less than $500 for everything, including clothes.

We don't live like homeless, we don't use plastic or paper anything. Tablecloths, candles, glass, china, silver, two chairs, folding table, custom pillow top mattress (that is inside the cab of the truck, so it was not destroyed) with high thread count linens, feather pillows, down comforter, etc. Shovel instead of a head, this aint no typical RV, we generally camp in the wilderness, quiet, stars.

Class acts. Clean, shined , old school

• Like 1
16 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

Nothing to be ashamed of!  Please post the memories back up, if not uncomfortable for you, of course.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Haji said:

It's all good.  There is a gravity field around Improbable, that has changed the trajectory of many lives. Your memories are a good example. There are many, many others affected; you're not alone. 

And I didn't just mean ex girlfriends...;-)

Btw, Dora is from Costa Rica. Her devotion to my dad was astounding, she helped to look after him to the day he died.

I adored Dora, despite behavior she tolerated. Len’s role-modeling has had a profound effect.

I wish I had made it up to meet wonderful Rosalie, touch Improbable. Please treat her like the Queen I imagine she is, because she must be; she’s solid in your life.

22 minutes ago, Haji said:

Nothing to be ashamed of!  Please post the memories back up, if not uncomfortable for you, of course.

OK. If I can figure that out. I sorta thought I was just writing to u ,sort of.

Well, I can disappear in person cause I go by my first name or other middle name nowadays. in case I stumble into some one at John Wayne Marina or Muckleshoot from here.

and no, I wasn’t yelling at Twink to fall-off in front of Alcatraz. I typed wrong. I was tacking toward The Gate pointing at Tiburon yelling COME-UP!.  

Like you Bruce, but not as passionate or committed, I hope to sail with you all , long or short leg, on Improbable again. 

hey Maui Poker guy. Howdy. Yes, I am no longer Left of Left SF Pac Hts, North Shore Tahoe or North Shore Oahu Kahuku gal. 

I did quit using censoring TwitShit quite some time ago.

Pelosi family spawn Newsome lost his recall: Dominion Smartmatic software, Zuckboy (FBook nerd led by the nose by Cheryl Sandberg/crooked Larry Summers of Harvard Obama roundtable), drop boxes Stacy Abrams style, dead people voting, lots of reformed Dems living out of state got ballots. Tough to find anyone at any California poker table or inside a CA Costco who isn’t a Trumper, wants Biden impeached/ knows the sleeze-soul-selling cabal of Wiile Brown-Camel Toes Harris… McConnell, Austin, Milley ,Feinstein, Pelosi put in Gitmo for Treason…to name a few….crooked Wray Barr CIA DOJ FBI ( read Sydney Powell,federal judge book “License to Lie”. 
I did try to delete TwitShit account. 
***Bruce and I are not on the same page politically at all. Doesn’t matter to me. Bruce is still a mini God to me in how one might live their life.

37 minutes ago, WaterThruSun said:

I adored Dora, despite behavior she tolerated. Len’s role-modeling has had a profound effect.

I wish I had made it up to meet wonderful Rosalie, touch Improbable. Please treat her like the Queen I imagine she is, because she must be; she’s solid in your life.

Rosalea wants to know if you're talking about her, or the boat .;-)

2 minutes ago, Haji said:

Rosalea wants to know if you're talking about her, or the boat .;-)

Oh silly, Rosalia of course. It’s a given you treat Improbable like a Queen. 

• Like 1
Just now, WaterThruSun said:

Rosalea 

I’m out of time for now trying find the hide comment undo button or contact sailanarchy help.

I can’t even figure out how to find the replies. Sheeesh. Probably best. I just typed a dooosie.

On 6/5/2018 at 11:23 PM, Ginko said:

At what time was thrvtransom hung rudder removed ?

drawing is original configuration by Mull.

IMG_1801.JPG

I remember 80’s Bruce obsessed then with faring keels, boat design. In his blood. Improbable !

5 minutes ago, WaterThruSun said:

I’m out of time for now trying find the hide comment undo button or contact sailanarchy help.

I can’t even figure out how to find the replies. Sheeesh. Probably best. I just typed a dooosie.

It was a great collection of memories.  Can't make that stuff up. Even if the years jumble things up a bit.  

1 hour ago, Haji said:

Wow, does Pretty Penny look good.

Paul Bogataj did the shape in that screenshot.  He did AC foils back in the IACC days.  He also did the foils & bulb on Ocean Planet.  

Neil Racicot (formerly at Betts) has been pitching in as well. Will be talking with Ted Van Dusen and Larry Tuttle about building the rudder shaft, and I'll build the blade myself onto said shaft.

However, for one stop design and engineering, I'd also recommend talking to Paul Beiker.  We works a lot with Betts and they do some amazing stuff together.  That's what I'd do if I had the $.

Thank you for letting us/me in on your journey. I really am enjoying your thread and this passion project. You are doing what I wish I had done.  The detail and care you are doing shows the love. I know these refreshes are not for the faint of heart and is challenging when managing one’s family, limited time and energy. I like that you are taking on the blade build yourself with A smart, sensible and cost effective approach with some good folks who know the right way to do it. Both the Mulls of similar designs I have had go up wind like freight trains sailing within 25 degrees outpointing most modern boats with an older skeg foil and sail blade. I never experienced a death roll on them so I can’t comment but have noticed hums and wake differences at near planning speeds between the different rudder designs. I hope you get an increase in speed you are working toward.  I look  forward to hearing how the significant changes in rudder will make your Improbable handle and go.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Black Jack said:

Thank you for letting us/me in on your journey. I really am enjoying your thread and this passion project. You are doing what I wish I had done.  The detail and care you are doing shows the love. I know these refreshes are not for the faint of heart and is challenging when managing one’s family, limited time and energy. I like that you are taking on the blade build yourself with A smart, sensible and cost effective approach with some good folks who know the right way to do it. Both the Mulls of similar designs I have had go up wind like freight trains sailing within 25 degrees outpointing most modern boats with an older skeg foil and sail blade. I never experienced a death roll on them so I can’t comment but have noticed hums and wake differences at near planning speeds between the different rudder designs. I hope you get an increase in speed you are working toward.  I look  forward to hearing how the significant changes in rudder will make your Improbable handle and go.

BlackJack, impressive range of knowledge, history, friends. RockStar sailor.

1 hour ago, Haji said:

Bruce, U are super pc savvy. Text or type here how to retrieve a Hide,  s’il vous plait. 

11 minutes ago, WaterThruSun said:

Bruce, U are super pc savvy. Text or type here how to retrieve a Hide,  s’il vous plait. 

Beats me, but I'm checking with the Sailing Anarchy grand poobah. Will report back.

4 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

I did quit using censoring TwitShit quite some time ago.

Pelosi family spawn Newsome lost his recall: Dominion Smartmatic software, Zuckboy (FBook nerd led by the nose by Cheryl Sandberg/crooked Larry Summers of Harvard Obama roundtable), drop boxes Stacy Abrams style, dead people voting, lots of reformed Dems living out of state got ballots. Tough to find anyone at any California poker table or inside a CA Costco who isn’t a Trumper, wants Biden impeached/ knows the sleeze-soul-selling cabal of Wiile Brown-Camel Toes Harris… McConnell, Austin, Milley ,Feinstein, Pelosi put in Gitmo for Treason…to name a few….crooked Wray Barr CIA DOJ FBI ( read Sydney Powell,federal judge book “License to Lie”. 
I did try to delete TwitShit account. 
***Bruce and I are not on the same page politically at all. Doesn’t matter to me. Bruce is still a mini God to me in how one might live their life.

Did you make it to DC on Jan 6th for the Capitol tours? :D

• Like 2
19 hours ago, WaterThruSun said:

..and no, I wasn’t yelling at Twink to fall-off in front of Alcatraz. I typed wrong. I was tacking toward The Gate pointing at Tiburon yelling COME-UP!.  

thank you for clearing that up - I was indeed baffled. political leanings left or right not so much - but avoiding that rock to windward of the island. yes that matters!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Black Jack said:

ooph. what a beauty. I thought long and hard about this one last time it was looking for a new captain. and yeah, one of the very few negatives I could think of was dragging that skeg around. I hadn't heard of Improbable before this thread, but knowing Pretty Penny made her instantly recognizable.

PS: if that was you lifting the anchor that morning at China Camp a while ago - I was the lunatic shouting hello. Its hard to see that beauty sailing around without hailing her name.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, sledracr said:

Wish you hadn't hidden it all.  it was heartfelt and nostalgic and authentic.  Something this place needs more of.

Bless you. Thanks.

hmmm. Who is the asswipe ??? that somehow in my quest to figure out this site, labeled me a “kiss ass”. Du kentz mich nich. [ sp Deutch: YOU DONT KNOW ME]. Moments ago  I stumbled on a place where this site dissects readership. My friends like me cause I say what’s on my mind regardless of how hurtful or kind. What ever I have typed is from the heart. I don’t do social media as a popularity contest. It’s where I let it hang-out. 

30 minutes ago, floater said:

thank you for clearing that up - I was indeed baffled. political leanings left or right not so much - but avoiding that rock to windward of the island. yes that matters!

So many funny fun witty worldly savvy peeps knocking around on this thread… who ever labeled me kissass, stick this in your pipe. 

11 minutes ago, WaterThruSun said:

So many funny fun witty worldly savvy peeps knocking around on this thread… who ever labeled me kissass, stick this in your pipe. 

All are welcome here.  Nostalgia ties us all together.

15 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Did you make it to DC on Jan 6th for the Capitol tours? :D

Yeah sure, you goofball, I was one of innocent standing in front of capital watching - doing zip, then later hauled away by USA Gestopo, kept in solitary confinement this past ten or so months without access to an attorney, beaten, denied healthcare, hygiene. Incredible powers I possess to be able to materialize a way to send you this from 24/7 isolation solitary confinement lockup, where sitting congressmen /woman came to jail to check on our well-being have been denied access by our hunta regime commies running the country presently. And no, I didn’t move to gettr.com to type any of these rants like zillions on TwitShit have done. Too easy a way for the Stalin-copycats in power to round-up to FEMA camps the lot of them. 

and I hope u are doing well, fellow poker-playing sailor. Really.

34 minutes ago, WaterThruSun said:

I think somebody should introduce you to the editor..

• Like 1
On 10/11/2021 at 9:25 AM, floater said:

ooph. what a beauty. I thought long and hard about this one last time it was looking for a new captain. and yeah, one of the very few negatives I could think of was dragging that skeg around. I hadn't heard of Improbable before this thread, but knowing Pretty Penny made her instantly recognizable.

PS: if that was you lifting the anchor that morning at China Camp a while ago - I was the lunatic shouting hello. Its hard to see that beauty sailing around without hailing her name.

It was me. Anytime you want to come for a sail pm me.

Pretty Penny's sister Lickety Split had a skegectomy... The redesign was done by Gary mull himself.  The spade rudder came a few years later - about 1990. The new rudder is/was almost 6 foot and rounding up was said to have become a thing of the past.

696566713_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_36_28PM.png

I am working on finding out if she is still around or was chopped up last year. It would be a shame to lose a quality boat like that.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Black Jack said:

It was me. Anytime you want to come for a sail pm me.

Pretty Penny's sister Lickety Split had a skegectomy... The redesign was done by Gary mull himself.  The spade rudder came a few years later - about 1990. The new rudder is/was almost 6 foot and rounding up was said to have become a thing of the past.

696566713_ScreenShot2021-10-12at8_36_28PM.png

I am working on finding out if she is still around or was chopped up last year. It would be a shame to lose a quality boat like that.

will do!

I scrounged around a bit for Lickety myself and ran across this thread. It would seem that you and Haji have more in common than would appear even at first glance: 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Captain Jake said:

I found this photo of my Dad's truck moving Improbable on the back of the photo was written "USA bound 1/71" the photo was taken in Auckland, New Zealand.

USA Bound 1-71_Original.jpeg

This one of only two shots I've ever seen with the transom rudder.  Thanks Jake!

• Like 1
On 9/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, SloopJonB said:

Needs more red.

Definitely.  It's on the agenda I assure you.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:51 PM, SloopJonB said:
On 11/7/2021 at 12:47 PM, Haji said:

Definitely.  It's on the agenda I assure you.

And so is this...

Screenshot_20211111-213938.png

• Like 1
On 11/7/2021 at 9:06 PM, Somebody Else said:

Amended for your edification.

Will amend the amendment.  Photo taken Christmas Day, 1973 at Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, 24 hours before start of S2H.  Under the boat aft finishing wet sanding are owner Dave Allen (brown shorts) and son John. Under the bow, L-R are Bone (Steve Taft), sleddog, and Kiwi (aka Ron Holland.) Also in the crew were Ben Mitchell and son Benny.  Commodore did not sail the '73 S2H.

Kiwi's  tactics at the time were difficult to understand, but sounded like "we'll crack off and go for it."  Bone, also the ship's doctor aboard IMPROBABLE, was telling us his solution to encountered difficulties, "take 2 reds and go to bed."

• Like 4
On 11/12/2021 at 1:08 AM, sleddog said:

Will amend the amendment.  Photo taken Christmas Day, 1973 at Cruising Yacht Club of Australia, 24 hours before start of S2H.  Under the boat aft finishing wet sanding are owner Dave Allen (brown shorts) and son John. Under the bow, L-R are Bone (Steve Taft), sleddog, and Kiwi (aka Ron Holland.) Also in the crew were Ben Mitchell and son Benny.  Commodore did not sail the '73 S2H.

Kiwi's  tactics at the time were difficult to understand, but sounded like "we'll crack off and go for it."  Bone, also the ship's doctor aboard IMPROBABLE, was telling us his solution to encountered difficulties, "take 2 reds and go to bed."

Great stuff. Btw, I found this YouTube vid of the 73 S2H, that has a few clips of Improbable in it!

On 9/17/2021 at 11:02 PM, T sailor said:

Perfection is the enemy of progress.  Law of diminishing returns and all that….  
fortunately to most eyes it will look perfect, especially when admiring from the dock or boat further away…. Great thread, keep it coming!

On 9/18/2021 at 2:33 AM, SloopJonB said:

One of the first things I was taught about boats is that they should look good from 10 feet away, not one foot.

Rest in Piece Charlie

• Like 1