Favourite Boat pic?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father (in his late 70s) hoisting the mizzen as we led the middle sea race on handicap through the straights of Messina in the middle sea race.

Posted Images

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, alphafb552 said:

Always found this classic to be very evocative of the 'style and grace' of days gone by, while still showing the excitement and pure adrenaline of sailing in heavy weather

6be6a649a8814c7f3c496fd96231ee5f.jpg

I see no lifelines, no tethers, no Topsiders, and a helmsman who somehow stays attached to the deck!

(That Ralph Lipshitz was able to capitalize on the "style" part, whatever--but more power to him haha).

4 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I see no lifelines, no tethers, no Topsiders, and a helmsman who somehow stays attached to the deck!

(That Ralph Lipshitz was able to capitalize on the "style" part, whatever--but more power to him haha).

Ralph Lishitz? That's Charles Nicholson ( he of Camper and Nicholson, designer of J-classes Velsheda, Shamrock V, Endeavour and Endeavour II) on board Candida somewhere in the thirties...

• Like 4
Just now, alphafb552 said:

Ralph Lishitz? That's Charles Nicholson ( he of Camper and Nicholson, designer of J-classes Velsheda, Shamrock V, Endeavour and Endeavour II) on board Candida somewhere in the thirties...

I was referring to the leveraging of that evocative style period by Ralph Lauren. Charles was living in the moment there, not worried about style...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, fastyacht said:

I was referring to the leveraging of that evocative style period by Ralph Lauren. Charles was living in the moment there, not worried about style...

right, forgive me but I associate Ralph Lauren with 'fashion', not necessarily with style... :D

• Like 1
Just now, alphafb552 said:

Good thing I said 'not NECCESARILY' then! :D:D

My brother had a "second" from Marshall's where the head of the polo player was missing. He used to wear that shirt with a certain amount of ironic pride.

3 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

(haha. I'm wearing a pair of his brand of trousers right now :P)

95 percent of my golf shirts, have Ralph's Polo Pony over my heart!  And I have a pair of slim, stretchy MIchael Kors jeans originally tagged at 90 bucks on the Marshall's Clearance Rack for 20!  And these jeans and similar ones from Weatherproof are the only jeans I have ever found that are a perfect fit over my bony chicken legs and skinny ass!! LOL!

4 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

right, forgive me but I associate Ralph Lauren with 'fashion', not necessarily with style... :D

He makes his money from fashion but he's loaded with style.

image.thumb.png.44c37261e1667f13a8aa9e999b44a68e.png

2 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Hey Sloop, how about some current photos of Mo Bettah?  Are you quarantined so much you can't get to West Van?  

I live 5 minutes from the boat but I haven't been working on it so nothing to report.

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Anyone know if they survived the re-entry?

This pic Reminds me of late 80s early 90s warpaint anti foul ad . Boat was Icefire a mummery 53 ? , smashing to windward in about 40 knots leaving Hobart for return to NZ .

have searched high and low but can’t find it 

9 hours ago, bridhb said:

They survived. The reason, I believe, they don't have another reef or two in is they thought they'd drop the rig if they tried coming into the wind to reef. 30+ knots boatspeed also comes to mind. I reckon this photo (deservedly) probably features in previous pages of this thread.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 44forty said:

This pic Reminds me of late 80s early 90s warpaint anti foul ad . Boat was Icefire a mummery 53 ? , smashing to windward in about 40 knots leaving Hobart for return to NZ .

Icefire & sister Ozfire weren't that big.

43 or 45'  somewhere in that range.  Quick downhill for the day but only average on the wind.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Not as wrong as sailing a boat without a fridge & oven which doesn't plane to windward!

well said. i sure as hell am not buying a boat without a watermaker and a hot shower in the cockpit that wont plane to windward.

On 5/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, bridhb said:

Had that Wild Thing pic over my desk forever.    Believe it was in a Sail calendar.  Get lost daydreaming about what was going on aboard.  Great one.

One of my favorite boats.  Props to Jeff Uhl for the pic.

Orlanda, Farr 59 in Hawaii 1984.  Full main, no.4 jib.  The world's biggest fractional one-tonner.

I took her from SF via Panama and Antigua to Italy, then to Cowes for the 85 Fastnet.  Lovely boat.

Orlanda (Italy) 1984 Pan Am Clipper Cup - UHL STUDIOS HAWAII

• Like 3
On 5/3/2020 at 3:59 AM, SloopJonB said:

He makes his money from fashion but he's loaded with style.

image.thumb.png.44c37261e1667f13a8aa9e999b44a68e.png

3 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

well said. i sure as hell am not buying a boat without a watermaker and a hot shower in the cockpit that wont plane to windward.

Too bloody right....err..well, except the watermaker.  

Beneteau_Cup18_Jules_VidPicPro.com-5186.thumb.jpg.8deaee782341074c755b82a30ec8a9c9.jpg 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

One of my favorite boats.  Props to Jeff Uhl for the pic.

Orlanda, Farr 59 in Hawaii 1984.  Full main, no.4 jib.  The world's biggest fractional one-tonner.

I took her from SF via Panama and Antigua to Italy, then to Cowes for the 85 Fastnet.  Lovely boat.

Orlanda (Italy) 1984 Pan Am Clipper Cup - UHL STUDIOS HAWAII

Watched her all that series from afar... (that's afar - not a Farr....).  Lovely looking boat

• Like 1
On 5/3/2020 at 9:02 AM, 44forty said:

Not this one?

588E2356-AF7B-4B97-8E8C-D77B16DF2A00.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wal' said:

Watched her all that series from afar... (that's afar - not a Farr....).  Lovely looking boat

Orlanda was probably the only 59 foot race boat with a hot fresh water bidet in the owner's aft head.

• Like 2
On 5/3/2020 at 11:55 AM, PhilipNZ said:

I can't decide, both taken during the Coastal Classic but a year apart

I'll always love her

SDR3.jpeg

sundreamer 2001.jpeg

Was this the one that ended up upside down on a reef in the pacific somewhere? 

• Like 1
On 5/2/2020 at 6:37 AM, billy backstay said:

Trent%20David%20and%20Michael%20are%20ai

my all time favorite.  Rumor is Scot posted it here last December, after seeing it on Scuttlefuck!! LOL

There was a North Sails ad from the late '80's / early '90's of a 470 launching of a wave (probably from the Seoul Olympics) showing about the same amount of hull.  I had that hung on my dorm wall for a long time.

• Like 1

Love this night time photo of Sweet Okole off Diamond Head in an early 80's Transpac.  It was posted in another thread here.

As someone commented at the time, besides the boat itself, the crew illustrates something that was great about sailing in that era - bare feet , shorts, and non-matching t-shirts.

I believe this old IOR warhorse handily won her division in the last edition of the Pacific Cup.

sweet_okole.jpg

• Like 4
16 hours ago, greasy al said:

Not this one?

588E2356-AF7B-4B97-8E8C-D77B16DF2A00.jpeg

That just might be it ?  Was it a in a warpaint Ad ?  I seem to remember  the pic as being more bow on  , taken from a higher altitude and the whole rig was visible 

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Love this night time photo of Sweet Okole off Diamond Head in an early 80's Transpac.  It was posted in another thread here.

As someone commented at the time, besides the boat itself, the crew illustrates something that was great about sailing in that era - bare feet , shorts, and non-matching t-shirts.

I believe this old IOR warhorse handily won her division in the last edition of the Pacific Cup.

sweet_okole.jpg

Eric Baumhoff, Steve Baumhoff, Cliff Stagg, Chris Corlett, Dean Treadway who else? 

3 hours ago, Expat Canuck said:

There was a North Sails ad from the late '80's / early '90's of a 470 launching of a wave (probably from the Seoul Olympics) showing about the same amount of hull.  I had that hung on my dorm wall for a long time.

Would love to see that pic, if you can find it....!!

On 9/4/2018 at 3:12 AM, Sail4beer said:

To port.

Come on, this is a Sailing site!;)

From some of the comments i have seen over the years i am not so sure everyone on the forums is a sailor but yes, to be nautically correct to port and to windward and worst of all - ahead. :(

22 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

That’s a Davidson 55 Starlight Express

That was used for a Musto ad?..... Did the 50th Anniversary S/H on it

23 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Was this the one that ended up upside down on a reef in the pacific somewhere? 

No, this was Sundreamer, the designers own boat. The wrecked one (Stratosphere) was built first 

On 5/3/2020 at 9:52 PM, TUBBY said:

Icefire & sister Ozfire weren't that big.

43 or 45'  somewhere in that range.  Quick downhill for the day but only average on the wind.

45 foot. Super quick once you cracked off, but entirely the wrong shape to go upwind. And with two of the smallest steering wheels in history, so leverage was an issue...

5 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

I was in that race....nasty crossing of the Gulf Stream heading to Great Issac light ...Miami ~Nassau race 1976 

Looks nasty.  That's one photo that as a kid that I remember staring at for quite a while.

One of my favorite pics (that I cant find - HELP) is I think from the IOR 50 foot circuit days.  There was a collision and one of the guys in the back of the cockpit has been flung up into the air as a result.  It would suck to be him, but the moment frozen in time is amazing.

HELP!
MS

19 hours ago, 44forty said:

That just might be it ?  Was it a in a warpaint Ad ?  I seem to remember  the pic as being more bow on  , taken from a higher altitude and the whole rig was visible 

I think the photo you're looking is in Bennett's "Ocean Classics" - but "Ozfire" had just rounded Tasman Isl headed for Hobart. I'll post a picture when I get home from work.

5 hours ago, bgytr said:

image.png.056366b07a56fca831e8709ad0a35840.png

Experienced a mini version of that on the delivery trip home from RVYC to West Van on our "new" Quarter Tonner.

It was my wife's first time sailing and she was sitting on the rail with the other rail meat off Point Atkinson when a wave (much smaller than that) slapped the hull right under her and soaked her to the waist. :D

On 5/5/2020 at 7:24 AM, 44forty said:

Is this the one? Icefire, Sydney Hobart 1992 near Tasman Island. 

20200506_075250.jpg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, ALL@SEA said:

Is this the one? Icefire, Sydney Hobart 1992 near Tasman Island. 

20200506_075250.jpg

Yeah that’s the bugger , or taken on the same day . If I ever see the ad in an old NZ boating mag I will post it .

i was a factory rat at salthouse back then and the foreman was on the crew . I think he said they had just left Hobart and were on the way home to NZ when the pic was taken ? 

• Like 1

Confusing pic - the boat looks hard on the wind but the sea state looks like it's coming from almost dead astern.

31 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Confusing pic - the boat looks hard on the wind but the sea state looks like it's coming from almost dead astern.

thats how hard it is blowing! wow thats a day on the water

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

East Coast of Tasmania, that don't call it Storm Bay for nothing.

Sea is always crap even in no wind.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, BravoBravo said:

That Cal-40 surfing into Nassau was a favorite for a long time and still is

When I was racing in college, one day at Raritan (where Rutgers New Brunswick and Trenton State hosted as I remember it) there was a Cal 40 on the hard. I walked my press-ganged 420 sailors around that boat and told them that this was on of the great ocean racers of C. William "Bill" Lapworth, all the way from California. I am not sure all of them understood what all the fuss was about.