Santa Barbara to King Habor 2018

DaveK

I'm flying out there this Friday to hang out for a week and do the race next weekend on a friends Corsair Dash MkII. None of us on the boat have done this race so any tips about tactics, weather or what to bring would be helpful?? I'm used to my nice clear warm fresh water lakes so this will be quite a change of venue for me. Looking forward to it and hanging out around Santa Monica for a week!! I've heard there was a heat wave out there but I'm pretty used to that being from Texas.

Bring all your foulies, lunch and dinner.  It will be light at the start and build while shifting right all morning out to the Island.  Once around the big decision is when to cross the shadow this is really about watching and paying attention.  As this is probably the most critical decision I will have to let you figure it out on your own. After that is usually breeze on running down the coast I like coming into the points for the compression. Eventually you will get down the coast into the bay and wind will die.  If you don't finish by 10 or soo you will be out there for a while and maybe the night.

Have not looked at weather or routing yet this is an example of how most of these races go.  

Thanks guys!! I bought some foulies off ebay and have plenty of other shit like spray tops, microfleece, gloves, boots and so on. I know this 24' boat is gonna be a wet ride. I'm even bringing my crewsaver auto pfd. I've gotta pack my large suitcase for all this shit and have to check it anyways for the pfd. Not gonna dick with TSA on that. Wasn't sure how much food to bring but 1 case of water and 4 cases of beer should do. What exactly am I watching for to cross this wind shadow? And not familiar with buffalo gals? A pretty pic there doesn't come to mind.

There is usually more wind along the Malibu coast west of Pt. Dume, so smart money is to jibe early after passing Anacapa, and then boogie in toward the coast on port. Jibe again when you reach the layline to Pt. Dume., then stay either take a short jibe or stay on starboard into SM Bay, and jibe again when you are close to the layline for the KH entrance buoy.

A little over a week out.  A big Catalina Eddy forecast to develop. Looking like a big Jail at Anacapa Island.  After that, an Easterly breeze fills in, making the finish line directly upwind. Of course, this is subject to change!  I think there’ll be a lot of left over shrimp!

298E7660-57A3-41BA-B8EE-2924D4B27E0A.jpeg

EED2A7DC-D878-44B8-A6E8-CFB535425F2B.jpeg

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

A little over a week out.  A big Catalina Eddy forecast to develop. Looking like a big Jail at Anacapa Island.  After that, an Easterly breeze fills in, making the finish line directly upwind. Of course, this is subject to change!  I think there’ll be a lot of left over shrimp!

298E7660-57A3-41BA-B8EE-2924D4B27E0A.jpeg

EED2A7DC-D878-44B8-A6E8-CFB535425F2B.jpeg

Id rather have the 2nd map then the 1st one. I'm beginning to not like this Anacapa shit.

17 minutes ago, DaveK said:

Id rather have the 2nd map then the 1st one. I'm beginning to not like this Anacapa shit.

Almost every race around Anacapa up here in the SB Channel area has been a cluster fuck since last years SB2KH.

A few weeks ago 34 boats entered a race and only 2 finished.
A 42 mile race, the 1st boat finished at 1:30 AM Sunday and the second boat finished at 5:30am

Climate change has affected the race course dramatically.
Nothing is as it was.

Been floating around the rock for most of my life.  Have done more SB-KH raceS than I can remember. I have been around the rock in 0, and in 30.  It has nothing to do with “Climate Change”. We tend to call the more enjoyable races “Normal”. There is no such thing as “Normal”!  Up until last year, we had a nice run of enjoyable races.  Last year sucked!  High likelihood that this year will suck.  I remember many races through the decades that have sucked.  Each time it sucks, I ask myself why I keep doing the race.  Then I remember the good ones.  Twenty years ago, we drifted around the island, parked for over an hour.  When we eventually broke through, had 25kts wind, surfing at 17kts rhumb line to the finish line.  A boat that broke through just before us reached to Pt. Dume, they finished a hour and half after us.  

Repeat after me, “There is no such thing as NORMAL”!

We're bringing breakfast...and lunch. Watch out for kelp, at the start, around the backside of the islands, and at the finish...possibly elsewhere as well.

1 hour ago, bturl said:

If you're in the slow after in at Point Dume, aim outside of Redondo and come in on port.  We didn't but were on a 105 more than once.

Most of the time, you will get a light Southerly as you get deep into the bay. If you are outside, you will end up soaking down in light breeze, this is the slowest point of sail!  I have never seen this work!  

On 7/17/2018 at 12:44 PM, DaveK said:

Thanks guys!! I bought some foulies off ebay and have plenty of other shit like spray tops, microfleece, gloves, boots and so on. I know this 24' boat is gonna be a wet ride. I'm even bringing my crewsaver auto pfd. I've gotta pack my large suitcase for all this shit and have to check it anyways for the pfd. Not gonna dick with TSA on that. Wasn't sure how much food to bring but 1 case of water and 4 cases of beer should do. What exactly am I watching for to cross this wind shadow? And not familiar with buffalo gals? A pretty pic there doesn't come to mind.

it ain't transpac...just stuff to stay dry on the small boat...lunch and dinner for sure...goggle Malcom Mclaren

On 7/20/2018 at 7:14 PM, silent bob said:

Most of the time, you will get a light Southerly as you get deep into the bay. If you are outside, you will end up soaking down in light breeze, this is the slowest point of sail!  I have never seen this work!  

On 7/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, sumpin said:

it ain't transpac...just stuff to stay dry on the small boat...lunch and dinner for sure...

....................and breakfast and second lunch!

We went out yesterday for a play sail with Timo42 and 6 other people on the Dash. It was really good to get out and see what real waves are like compared to how I sail. It was blowing 15 and with all those people onboard, we were doing 7 up and down with just jib and main only. With the kite or screecher, we should should see 12 easy. So given that we get maybe 6 hours of decent winds, we should make good progress. That island does make me wonder a bit. Good sail Timo! And nice to meet ya!!! Fun times!!

On 7/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, silent bob said:

Been floating around the rock for most of my life.  Have done more SB-KH raceS than I can remember. I have been around the rock in 0, and in 30.  It has nothing to do with “Climate Change”. We tend to call the more enjoyable races “Normal”. There is no such thing as “Normal”!  Up until last year, we had a nice run of enjoyable races.  Last year sucked!  High likelihood that this year will suck.  I remember many races through the decades that have sucked.  Each time it sucks, I ask myself why I keep doing the race.  Then I remember the good ones.  Twenty years ago, we drifted around the island, parked for over an hour.  When we eventually broke through, had 25kts wind, surfing at 17kts rhumb line to the finish line.  A boat that broke through just before us reached to Pt. Dume, they finished a hour and half after us.  

Repeat after me, “There is no such thing as NORMAL”!

Anacapa is Chumash for  "Ever Changing" or "Always Changing"

1 hour ago, Meat Wad said:

Anacapa is Chumash for  "Ever Changing" or "Always Changing"

Jalama is Chumash for “Changing Winds”. Anacapa comes from the Chumash word Ennepah or Anyapakh, meaning "mirage island".

32 minutes ago, silent bob said:

Jalama is Chumash for “Changing Winds”. Anacapa comes from the Chumash word Ennepah or Anyapakh, meaning "mirage island".

OWN3D wooohooooo

I really need to get on the water

Getting conflicting forecasts.  Looking better, but not great. Most of the reliable forecast agree on a dead area from Pt. dume to the West end of Catalina for most of Friday evening until Saturday morning. Looks like there will be pressure from the South coming in around sunrise on Saturday morning. 

Im staying at my sisters and she lives on top of some big ass hill in Topanga Canyon off saddle pass road. the weather got drastically stagnant and fuking hot up there today. I think I’m either gonna sleep on the boat or buddies condo since sister doesn’t have AC. But this little heat wave certainly flattened out what wind we had yesterday and I hope this isn’t what we are gonna deal with this weekend.

6 hours ago, DaveK said:

Im staying at my sisters and she lives on top of some big ass hill in Topanga Canyon off saddle pass road. the weather got drastically stagnant and fuking hot up there today. I think I’m either gonna sleep on the boat or buddies condo since sister doesn’t have AC. But this little heat wave certainly flattened out what wind we had yesterday and I hope this isn’t what we are gonna deal with this weekend.

Think I'm getting tickets to the 7pm shrimp dinner...just sayin...

18 hours ago, silent bob said:

I guess you can translate old languages a million ways.
I was told by a local chumash that it meant what I wrote. Because the Island looks different at different times of the year.
I've lived here since and 1970 and seen it look like it was a few miles away to looking like a mirage.

Not going to get much of this:

PZZ650-242230-
East Santa Barbara Channel from Pt. Conception to Pt. Mugu CA
including Santa Cruz Island-
853 AM PDT Tue Jul 24 2018

W winds 15 to 20 kt. Combined seas 3 to 5 ft. Patchy fog.

W winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 2 to
4 ft. Patchy fog.
Just this:

PZZ655-242230-
Inner waters from Point Mugu to San Mateo Pt. CA including Santa
Catalina and Anacapa Islands-
853 AM PDT Tue Jul 24 2018

S winds 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W
2 to 3 ft and S 3 ft. Patchy fog.

S winds 5 to 10 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. Mixed swell W
2 to 3 ft and S 3 ft. Patchy fog.

Ran some routes.  Not looking quote as bad as it seems but have little faith in anything currently.  Will see how it develops over the next few days currently 3 different models have from 10-18 hours.  It does seem pretty clear if you do not finish by midnight it gets ugly which is normal. The questions seems to be will we see a light NE or a decent 7 knot south breeze. 

I'm racing the family rv which rates 144 so we need breeze otherwise we're bobbing in Santa Monica Bay Saturday morning with a seeker up searching for breeze.  Still, rounding Anacapa with a fleet of nearly 100 boats with a group of good friends on board is one of my yearly way points.  

Have fun everyone,

Jayavarman

Psyche's Song, #97704

23 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

For routing fans NDFD will be your friend!

I haven't used their GRIB's.  Do you have to use their degrib program to download them?  I am using GFS, ECM and the hi-res Predict WInd. Always interested in a new source.  I look at the NOAA site but have never used them for GRIB or routing just text forecast and current conditions

No matter which forecast you look at, getting clear of SB will be of the upmost importance. I looks really light
Then It is not windy enough to really go for anything but hull speed and keep moving in the right direction.
SM Bay looks ugly.

Well, the good news is that the deliveries up to Santa Barbara will be warm and flat!  GFS is still calling for a dead spot.  Went surfing at El Porto the other day, water temp is 74°, just keep an eye out for the Great Whites!  Too early to blame Donald Trump?

6C52A007-5E57-432E-AAC1-BF937EFD6592.jpeg

16 hours ago, fan said:

I haven't used their GRIB's.  Do you have to use their degrib program to download them?  I am using GFS, ECM and the hi-res Predict WInd. Always interested in a new source.  I look at the NOAA site but have never used them for GRIB or routing just text forecast and current conditions

You can get the files through saildocs and then open with any grib reader.  Exp has a tab for it. Also, COAMPS is great for near shore.  

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Do we have many different starts for each class? And is Multihull last? I’m not even sure when the skippers meeting is. 

There will probably be only one ORCA start, and it’s usually first.  This will be published on “Attachment A”.  

There will probably be only one ORCA start, and it’s usually first.  This will be published on “Attachment A”.  

Thanks, I finally read SI's and attachment A isn't a clickable link yet.

I'm guessing something is wrong with the tracker or things are so bad...................................http://www.sailtracker.net/tracker/sb2kh2018

AIS, from https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-119.4/centery:34.2/zoom:10

It is 5:07pm  PST and I only see one boat with AIS clearing the island.......no delays. and only boat names.

Entries by boat name https://www.sbyc.org/files/2018_07_26_SB-KH_Entry_by_boat_V4.pdf

26 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

I'm guessing something is wrong with the tracker or things are so bad...................................http://www.sailtracker.net/tracker/sb2kh2018

AIS, from https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-119.4/centery:34.2/zoom:10

It is 5:07pm  PST and I only see one boat with AIS clearing the island.......no delays. and only boat names.

Entries by boat name https://www.sbyc.org/files/2018_07_26_SB-KH_Entry_by_boat_V4.pdf

I Sea a Bunch of Tracks !!!

3 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

3 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

I Sea a Bunch of Tracks !!!

using several  different browsers on a computer, no matter what I do, I get nothing from http://www.sailtracker.net/tracker/sb2kh2018

6 minutes ago, Mulligan said:

Check the boats or “all” then hit the update button.  It takes a minute for everything to come up.

9D59A0CB-90E9-4753-ACF1-50266804993A.jpeg

My whole screen shake back and forth, this is the worst tracker I have ever seen.

Took my bot out and did a swim at Anacapa. Some racers were clearing the arch around 5ish, we were under spin doing about 10kts headed for channel islands.  Breeze was maybe 8-10ish and steady when I left around 6:30.  Sure was a nice afternoon, best part was little mama feeding big daddy in our nice warm house before live p.d. started instead of floating around in the murk all night.

SBYC and KHYC have gone backwards in their tools. who the hell is jerryv.x10host.com? some club member got some crappy server in his garage?? 
The worst tracker and the viewer for results..........................are so old school.
SBYC used to use Sailwave, please go back or use Yacht Scoring.

40 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

SBYC and KHYC have gone backwards in their tools. who the hell is jerryv.x10host.com? some club member got some crappy server in his garage?? 
The worst tracker and the viewer for results..........................are so old school.
SBYC used to use Sailwave, please go back or use Yacht Scoring.

Compton Yacht Club just got Lectricity and InterWebs a couple years ago. Jerry used to do scoring Constipated Mathematician style, he’d sit down and work it out with a pencil. We’d be lucky to find out results by Labor Day. It’s still one of the nicest clubs to have a cocktail and watch the sunset and most of the people are nice.  

Went from front of the pack in class to 8th after getting kelped at Anacapa, can't really floss with a wing keel, and backing down is slooow. Ah well, next year.

Yeah we just DNF’d ourselves at around midnight. Had 20 miles to go and zero wind. Might have made 2 knts vmg and we certainly are the smallest slowest boat in our class so we thought why kill ourselves out here for another 12 hours. Still took us 5 hours to motor in. Good experience though and had a nice breeze till 8pm. A lot different from my lake racing. When we say fuk it, it takes 15 minutes to get in. The motor up in total fog was also quite interesting just using iPads to navigate. 

Well the forecasts were clearly wrong.  We went with what we saw instead of what we were supposed to see.  It was the right call just ask Destroyer, Vespa or Mr. Bill.  Got the shit fouled out of us at the start which put us a good 1/4 mile back right off the bat.  We manager to catch back up to some but not all of our fleet by fighting low the entire crossing.  Got ahead of Warrior (the other J125) and up to Horizon then the Farr 11 came up to us and we had to jibe away into the Island.  This was a bit brutal made worse by some kelp on the sail drive.  As someone above said backing down is slow but we did it anyway and were glad we did.  However once this was over we were back behind Horizon and Warrior and some others again.  Managed to make some decent gains to get back up to them by picking a good line along the Island.  We were one of the first to put our bow up and cross through to the other side in towards shore.  Sailed along pretty even even with the Andrews 40 until the breeze got up over 16 then we sailed down and away from them on the step.  Actually saw 20 for a few minutes. Manage to close up on Warrior.  We played back and forth jibing in and out with us trying to get close enough an din position to be on their breeze.  Finally on the last jibe around dark we managed to be close enough to have some affect.  We sailed along on what would prove to be our layline all the way from shore. They did a good job of staying low and clear ahead for an hour or so.  Finally we were able to force them to come up to us to protect. So there we were about 8 feet apart tight reaching us trying to get on their breeze and them to get bow out.  We got them eventually with all of us fully hiked and they came up behind us and played on our weather hip.  We got about two boat lengths on them an did a change down from A2 to A1 they closed and almost got over us but not quite.  We protected then slowly extended to about a 10-15 length lead when the south shift came and brought Horizon in from the outside.  We changed to Code 0 Horizon to a Jib and we just kept pulling further ahead but didn't think we would get our time.  Crew did a great job on Code 0 to A1 change right as we came up to the turning bouy with Code 0 furled and down in time for us to jibe into the finish.  We thought we had it until we saw the boat finishing behind us was the Andrews 40 not the Horizon.  So we ended up second in class and second over all finishing before midnight.  I was an amazing night sky, great sail and great group of people to race with. We had ups and down and never gave up or got down just kept racing. Thanks to Viggo for bringing us all together looking forward to the rest of the schedule over the next few months.

Congrats to Carbon Footprint, Fast Exit, Mexican Divorce and Mental Floss II for winning their divisions. All are DryUV customers and were wearing the FASTEST SHIRTS AVAILABLE.  Coincidence?  I think not. :-).

Archived