J/99 anyone have info beyond the teaser?

14 hours ago, JBOATTROUBLEMAKER said:

I am in your shoes. Family that hates sailing and one member (myself) who is absolutely obsessed. I would never consider a J11s (to neutered and rare) so the 99 and 97e are basically the only other options I would have.

Have you raced thunder in any local offshore races? I couldn't find you in the PHRF/IRC NE registry. 

We have a 97. Great allround boat but too much rocker to plane easily. Otherwise perfect for DH, full-crew and cruising. We operate ours with a AP furlable jib with one reef on a facnor fd, c0/j0 and two A-sails.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has been awesome!  Better than we hoped.  We have done something like 34 races this season and almost all of it DH.  We even do short buoy races DH without issue.  Much prefer longer races where we

Trying to schedule a test sail just after Christmas. Stay tuned for a Q&A session :-)

For me it would be straight keel, single rudder, tiller and water ballast. Hank on headsails and an asymmetric setup. A furling J0 plus hanked J2+R should see you well setup for most conditions. A nic

Posted Images

On 9/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Roleur said:

It has been awesome!  Better than we hoped.  We have done something like 34 races this season and almost all of it DH.  We even do short buoy races DH without issue.  Much prefer longer races where we can stretch our legs though.  My wife & I sail our boat (always) and we find it to be particularly easy to sail short-handed.  That said, we live in a mostly light air location, so the powered up 111 is very fun.  If we lived in a windy location I would favor something like a J/99.  Assuming it happens, we are planning to race around Vancouver Island (Van Isle 360) next year DH and then we are signed up for Pacific Cup 2022 DH.  One of the things that has surprised us is how easy it has been to get the boat going well.  We've certainly put in some time this year trying to get things dialed, but it has all gone well.  We even won a buoy race regatta (7 races) that were in the 30-90 minute range.  DH against all fully crewed boats (mostly 5-15 kts).  

We have had a few good breezy days (20-30) and with 4 people we found we were going fine uphill against faster boats (Aerodyne 43, two Farr 39MLs).  Top speed so far (5 months) is 16.7 kts with my wife driving and the A3 up, trying to hold a high lane to the finish of a 100 miler.  We've been fortunate to get to do 3 overnight races this summer.  A 65 miler and two 100 milers.      

For us it is the perfect boat.  That may not be the case for everyone, but we feel like we hit the nail on the head with our decision.  Heading out to mess with the boat now.  We have two different races this weekend at different venues.  One on Saturday and another on Sunday.  

118393586_3099304423520192_8609591021194

Never have children

• Like 1

Anyone having direct experience on how the J/99 fares against the Italia Yachts 998 ? They are similar boats in size and concept. Here in Italy it seems the IY is faster on handicap (not surprising since the IY is known to be an ORC bandit) but also boat for boat, which is less obvious, and regardless of wind strength. Being the J/99 lighter, I'd have assumed it would be generally faster. This does not appear to be the case.

3 hours ago, Furkolkjaaf said:

Anyone having direct experience on how the J/99 fares against the Italia Yachts 998 ? They are similar boats in size and concept. Here in Italy it seems the IY is faster on handicap (not surprising since the IY is known to be an ORC bandit) but also boat for boat, which is less obvious, and regardless of wind strength. Being the J/99 lighter, I'd have assumed it would be generally faster. This does not appear to be the case.

Size yes - concept no! My guess is that this would come down to wind range and course. IY998 has been doing extremely well in the light stuff (especially up/down) but the J/99 is a better fit for transquadra or conditions in UK/France,

If you want to beat the IY998 I recommend the J/112E :D 

3 hours ago, Blur said:

Size yes - concept no! My guess is that this would come down to wind range and course. IY998 has been doing extremely well in the light stuff (especially up/down) but the J/99 is a better fit for transquadra or conditions in UK/France,

If you want to beat the IY998 I recommend the J/112E :D 

Interesting...no direct experience myself. You mean light air W/L ? Quite common conditions over here.

On 9/30/2020 at 9:50 PM, GHarring19 said:

I love it - Other than the UK where the boats seem to be struggling, J99s are succeeding in the US and Continental Europe.

Please God let there be one design races in 2022!!!

One design with different keels and water ballasts?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Nubben said:

One design with different keels and water ballasts?

One Design is tough when the boats are racing under a variety of rules, that penalize/support certain attributes.  As J has to sell the boat in multiple markets to compete under multiple rules, and in many cases, Euro IRC optimization driving configuration as "severely" as it does, its not surprising to "offer" multiple versions.  Plus there is the whole short handed ocean racing /Trans Quadra thing going on and gaining traction. Nothing stops the formation of an OD class in a nation/region, and narrowing to a single configuration for OD racing in that nation/region.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me it would be straight keel, single rudder, tiller and water ballast. Hank on headsails and an asymmetric setup. A furling J0 plus hanked J2+R should see you well setup for most conditions. A nice oversized A2, A1.5 and something for heavier airs should cover most bases

• Like 3

Jefa Autopilot drive can be permanently installed in the factory and that works 100% - we’ve tested it well!

I’d put Harken Performa winches on the coach roof, as the soft skirt on the standard ones has chewed halyards on us. 

A style thing, but backstay cleats on the floor either side of mainsheet cleat is more ergonomical than normal route if actively trimmed.

Make sure kite halyard sheeves at mast top are strong enough for Code 0 tension, if that‘s the intention.  Don’t assume, 

Prepare to upgrade most blocks.

Worth getting a topping lift sheave in the mast, comes in handy for staysails even if going a-sail only.

Optional oven is a great choice. 

Think out the layout of instruments and hatches on bulkhead at front of cockpit very very carefully.  You can fit it all in: plotter at height you won’t kick, opening hatch for halyard tails etc Etc if planned carefully.

if you need two tacklines then ask them not to fit standard unit to front of sprit.

She sails best upright.  Big mainsail reefs and small J3s If double handed !!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know the overall length with fixed bow sprit?  I’m in the process of selling my Tartan 3500 and hoping to bring hull 007 to Washington state.  Thinking I’ll need a bigger slip than my current 35’

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Big Timber said:

Anyone know the overall length with fixed bow sprit?  I’m in the process of selling my Tartan 3500 and hoping to bring hull 007 to Washington state.  Thinking I’ll need a bigger slip than my current 35’

The sprit is 4', so seems like 36.6'

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't measured but I sort of assumed the LOA included the sprit. Bow and stern are pretty plumb, LWL is only 29', and LOA is 33', 4' difference would account for the sprit, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, evandinsmore said:

I haven't measured but I sort of assumed the LOA included the sprit. Bow and stern are pretty plumb, LWL is only 29', and LOA is 33', 4' difference would account for the sprit, no? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think because the sprit is "removeable" overall length is likely as Roleur says at 36.6 with sprit inplace, and 32.5 without.  There is a fair amount of overhang aft that is not  submerged at rest when in design trim accounting for the LWL being shorter than LOA

Despite the plumb bow, at the dock the first foot of the bow is out of the water...

122121067_207736370701709_80069903406112

• Like 1
On 2/14/2021 at 8:27 AM, Big Timber said:

Love that shot.  Thinking of doing a solid color wrap on mine with Prism graphics as well.

I thought the wrap on 007 was pretty cool already.  

77129200_10157772549748064_2379908371613

• Like 1

In March I'll be helping a friend get up to speed in his new J/99. Yay :P

Any polars, target speeds or other resources I need to know about?

4 hours ago, Blur said:

Please share your experiences and observations for the rest of us. Also, I thought you were getting a chance to sail a J/99 a while ago but I haven't seen your thoughts.

6 hours ago, danstanford said:

Please share your experiences and observations for the rest of us. Also, I thought you were getting a chance to sail a J/99 a while ago but I haven't seen your thoughts.

Nope. I was early with test sails of the J/111, J/88, J/70 and J/121... Now I'm way off pace :D

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Blur said:

Nope. I was early with test sails of the J/111, J/88, J/70 and J/121... Now I'm way off pace :D

Do you feel like you weren't given an opportunity on purpose? I know I would be afraid that any boat would suffer in a comparison to the might J/111. 

On 2/18/2021 at 2:08 AM, Blur said:

We have an owners Google Group where we share info re: tuning, sails, etc. but I haven't seen anything in the way of polars or target speeds. Still figuring the boats out ^_^

3 hours ago, danstanford said:

Do you feel like you weren't given an opportunity on purpose? I know I would be afraid that any boat would suffer in a comparison to the might J/111. 

I had tickets and planned to visit Paul Heyes in the UK to sail #1 in January 2019... but the owner decided he wanted to save his sails (maybe when he heard about me), so that was canceled the week before.

And then we just into a really busy season with the J/111. 

I can see where each model fits, and it's fun to figure out both the differences as well as the similarities. Really looking forward to sailing the J/99 so I can make a complete comparison chart :P And I still think the J/111 is pretty spot-on for what we're trying to do with the team.

5 hours ago, Blur said:

I had tickets and planned to visit Paul Heyes in the UK to sail #1 in January 2019... but the owner decided he wanted to save his sails (maybe when he heard about me), so that was canceled the week before.

And then we just into a really busy season with the J/111. 

I can see where each model fits, and it's fun to figure out both the differences as well as the similarities. Really looking forward to sailing the J/99 so I can make a complete comparison chart :P And I still think the J/111 is pretty spot-on for what we're trying to do with the team.

Peter, I am looking forward to the feedback if you can share it. 

Having read through the forums here it looks like some are considering the J/99 not as successful in some areas as originally hoped but there is basically none of them available here in North America so something must be working well! I would move up from my J/88 if I could buy a used one at something approaching a reasonable price but there just aren't any out there. 

Dan 

4 hours ago, danstanford said:

Peter, I am looking forward to the feedback if you can share it. 

Having read through the forums here it looks like some are considering the J/99 not as successful in some areas as originally hoped but there is basically none of them available here in North America so something must be working well! I would move up from my J/88 if I could buy a used one at something approaching a reasonable price but there just aren't any out there. 

Dan 

What is “reasonable”?  There is one in Fla listed at $265,000.

8 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

What is “reasonable”?  There is one in Fla listed at $265,000.

Considering list price is around $ 190k to start brand new, I think I could outfit one with the few options I want, instruments, and good sails for that or likely less than that. So for me ordering new would make more sense and it would be here which is a long way north of Florida. 

When the supply is low while the demand is high, sale prices go through the roof. It is all in the timing and how much dealers are willing to discount the asking price.

In 1997 I purchased a 1993 J/105 for $67,000. In 2000, at the height of the low supply for used boats, I sold it for $105,000.

In 2000 and ordered a brand new J/105 for $100,000 and sold it in 2004 for $110,000.

In 2020 I purchased a 1993 J/105 for $25,000 and sold it a few months later for $39,000.

Now I am looking to buy another J/105. Does anyone know of one that is for sale?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 12:25 AM, Rainy Day Sailor said:

So I own a tartan 101 which rates 75 and is nearly the same boat.  Much of what GHaring19 said I agree with.  I think the use of the inhaulers is critical.  Too much and you choke the sail by closing the slot, to early you don’t accelerate.  In light winds do you put some on, avoid using them, or in haul quite a bit once the boat accelerates? You have to get this dialed in to have success.   Finding polars  is very helpful for sure. Having two solid sailors on board helps a great deal as well then try and fill the remainder of the crew with regulars. Our boat loves crew weight on the rail, so when it’s windy you pay the price going upwind if you are shorthanded.  If someone with little experience is trimming the jib things go bad quickly.  Light air with the small non overlapping headsail is death in phrf when you face boats with giant head sails like a 109 or Express 37 or j 35.  You need multiple head sails as well. We just got a light wind head sail which we are excited about.  This all takes time.  Give this boat more time and I think it will get results.  We have had some success even against another j99 that just splashed this summer.  However, racing is quite different under covid so making comparisons is not really fair.  Again, give the crews and boat some time and it will end up working out.  You can’t just show up with a cool new boat and go against older boats with very experienced and dedicated crew and expect to do well.  You have to put the time in to get your boat dialed in.  Just my thoughts.  

btw these style of boats are a blast to sail and cruise with a family.  We’ve made some great memories in our 3 years of ownership. 

Rainy, Can you elaborate on the light wind head sail? Is it an overlapping sail flown from the normal tack? 

I had assumed it just wasn't possible to get more than the standard jib due to sheeting to the tracks though I have read some stuff about larger jibs tacked on the pole. 

Curious for sure.

Dam 

On 3/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, danstanford said:

Rainy, Can you elaborate on the light wind head sail? Is it an overlapping sail flown from the normal tack? 

I had assumed it just wasn't possible to get more than the standard jib due to sheeting to the tracks though I have read some stuff about larger jibs tacked on the pole. 

Curious for sure.

Dam 

Dan,

Pretty sure he is talking about a non overlapping "class" sized jib built out lighter weight material, and shaped to optimize power in light air.  In other words lets say max jib size is 110%.  You'd have a light air 110 that is pretty full, a medium air 110 that is a little flatter, and a heavy air sail that might be smaller, say 100% and much flatter.  You might also want some Code  sails to fly off the sprit when reaching in lighter air.  Those have now begun to get "specialized/optimized" as well...here's the North Chart for Code type sails:

New Code Sails - Helix, Code Zero, Code 65, Code 55 | North Sails

• Like 1

I wouldn't set too much store by that chart, it's creating a crossover where you really don't need one outside grand prix racing & doesn't specify whether it's a FR0 or MH0. In any case I would expect to be able to sail significantly hotter with a normal zero in the mid teens wind range and then only use in chicken chute mode above (?) 25 TWS.

50 minutes ago, Snowden said:

I wouldn't set too much store by that chart, it's creating a crossover where you really don't need one outside grand prix racing & doesn't specify whether it's a FR0 or MH0. In any case I would expect to be able to sail significantly hotter with a normal zero in the mid teens wind range and then only use in chicken chute mode above (?) 25 TWS.

So if the question is around light wind situations, does that affect your analysis? On Lake Ontario after 5:30 in the afternoon there are lots of evenings with very light breezes. It seems that the boats with large overlapping genoas do better here than non-overlappers upwind. The chart indicates the Code 65 is effective up to about 45 degrees true which would perhaps give sufficient VMG to be effective, no? 

This is W-L by the way with a variety of boats grouped into fleets based on PHRF handicaps. 

Dan

3 hours ago, danstanford said:

So if the question is around light wind situations, does that affect your analysis? The chart indicates the Code 65 is effective up to about 45 degrees true which would perhaps give sufficient VMG to be effective, no? 

My experience is limited to ‘IRC code zeros’ that have a big mid girth to measure as a spinnaker - these sails don’t really work for VMG upwind even if you don’t have an overlapping jib. It’s possible that under some other rating system you can build something that does work in that range but I would be a bit skeptical. 

My comment was more about the shape of the blob above 10 TWS, which creates a ‘gap’ for a second code zero that only a sailmaker could see ;-)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, danstanford said:

So if the question is around light wind situations, does that affect your analysis? On Lake Ontario after 5:30 in the afternoon there are lots of evenings with very light breezes. It seems that the boats with large overlapping genoas do better here than non-overlappers upwind. The chart indicates the Code 65 is effective up to about 45 degrees true which would perhaps give sufficient VMG to be effective, no? 

This is W-L by the way with a variety of boats grouped into fleets based on PHRF handicaps. 

Dan

A Code 55/65 would be measured as a jib in PHRF and carry a massive penalty. Wouldn’t be worth it, as the boat is fully powered up in 6-7 knots TWS, but you would carry the rating penalty through the entire wind range.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, danstanford said:

Dan

W/L is not the domain of code sails.  Code sails are reaching sails, and more useful on point to point distance racing.  Plus as EV points out, would be rated as a Genoa and penalized accordingly.

A code sail fills the gap in light air when even if the boat is fully powered up in 8 its, as soon as you crack off on a reach, you’re no longer fully powered up.  And the broader the reach (till you can fly a reaching asym chute) the less powered up you are. 

again, if you’re racing up & down, W/L sausage-fests, a code buy you nothing...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.northsails.com/sailing/en/2019/06/north-code-sails-defined/amp

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 10:15 PM, Crash said:

Dan,

Pretty sure he is talking about a non overlapping "class" sized jib built out lighter weight material, and shaped to optimize power in light air.  In other words lets say max jib size is 110%.  You'd have a light air 110 that is pretty full, a medium air 110 that is a little flatter, and a heavy air sail that might be smaller, say 100% and much flatter.  You might also want some Code  sails to fly off the sprit when reaching in lighter air.  Those have now begun to get "specialized/optimized" as well...here's the North Chart for Code type sails:

New Code Sails - Helix, Code Zero, Code 65, Code 55 | North Sails

Our light wind jib is not overlapping but it was built as large as possible. In fact with too much back stay it will rub against the spreaders.  This isn’t a problem because the sail is only rated to 13 knots.  Not TWS, but the gusts.  We have had to change the sail out in several races because of this.  However, the sail gets the boat moving in 1 to 3 knots, but 0-2 we get passed by boats with drifters and overlapping head sails.  And yes the sail is built with lighter material and has a bit deeper draft.  For our usage, I don’t think a code sail is justifiable.  We hardly ever reach while racing and we do have an A3.  I have to say if my Budget was bottom less I’d have one.  If you live where the racing is done in light winds this sail is very good and you should look into it.  Our regular #1 starts working well in 5 to 6 knots, but I’d take this sail over it in that wind strength.  The boat seems much more powered and you can point a bit higher.  Hopefully this helps, good luck.  

• Like 1

Any US East Coast J-99s putting together a East Coast schedule? USA 31 Thunder is in for BIRW, considering Edgartown, AYC Spring Series looks thin - be interested to hear what others may be doing. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, GHarring19 said:

Any US East Coast J-99s putting together a East Coast schedule? USA 31 Thunder is in for BIRW, considering Edgartown, AYC Spring Series looks thin - be interested to hear what others may be doing. Thanks!

Come on down for the AYC Spring and stay for the Edlu.  Are you sailing 2up or fully crewed.  I am sailing a Sunfast 3300 mostly 2up in ORC races and crewed when PHRF is the only option.  (Crewed for us is 4 people.)

On 3/8/2021 at 7:13 AM, Rainy Day Sailor said:

Our light wind jib is not overlapping but it was built as large as possible. In fact with too much back stay it will rub against the spreaders.  This isn’t a problem because the sail is only rated to 13 knots.  Not TWS, but the gusts.  We have had to change the sail out in several races because of this.  However, the sail gets the boat moving in 1 to 3 knots, but 0-2 we get passed by boats with drifters and overlapping head sails.  And yes the sail is built with lighter material and has a bit deeper draft.  For our usage, I don’t think a code sail is justifiable.  We hardly ever reach while racing and we do have an A3.  I have to say if my Budget was bottom less I’d have one.  If you live where the racing is done in light winds this sail is very good and you should look into it.  Our regular #1 starts working well in 5 to 6 knots, but I’d take this sail over it in that wind strength.  The boat seems much more powered and you can point a bit higher.  Hopefully this helps, good luck.  

Come up to Seattle for Race to the Straits in 2 weeks.  There are already 2 J/99's entered.

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, GHarring19 said:

Anyone have the numbers from J Composites on base mast settings? I thought they were up at one point but now I cant seem to find them again. 

image.thumb.png.b8aaec1d9a08df04dfa17f4d815d6571.png

"Please note that these are recommended all-purpose numbers for 18-20 knots of wind. Every set-up will be a little different depending on the sail designs, sail sizes and local conditions."

There were two J99 in the 2021 ORC Europeans in Italy, I don't know the individual Teams but one bet the IY9.98 and even a IY 11.98 both are designated ORC designs.

Interestingly enough one is Named DK and the other 2.10, I assume one has the find and the other the standard keel option.

Not that I have heard of a DualKeel jet

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-20 um 22.39.06.png

• 3 weeks later...

Saw my first J99 in the wild today, and they even race in our division, so it’ll be interesting as the season goes on. Really nice looking boat. Unfortunately, they had to bail out on the first leg of the first race of the day, but something was obviously wonky, so no fault of their own. It’s never fun to try a new boat for the first time in 20-30 knots. It’ll be interesting as the year goes on because we only rate 3 seconds a mile from them in PHRF with a Benny 10R. 

Anyone know what happened to J/99 Finale at A2N?  I see that they never finished and the weather was great.  They were slipped next to me before the race, boat looked great.