Farrier bought by Daedalus

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Discussion is that until all this Daedalus nonsense is sorted (never going to happen in my professional opinion) they will sell you a boat if a genuine unused plan set has been secured. Multihulls Dir

So once we agree that even a performance, ocean voyaging catamaran without a super attentive sheet tending crew will essentially run with both hulls firmly planted in the water we can turn our attenti

Just to clear up all the chatter on this thread. The F-32 plans have the option to purchase or build your own beams and mount modules. Curved foils were external source as were the cases for any SR va

Posted Images

This was an email I got a vew days ago.

65a5261a-97d1-4231-a701-2c025b458e7c.png

The D80 becomes the D88

c19c2bdb-8a3c-4cc4-b71b-46a6f74c661c.jpg

While we’ve been quietly toiling away in the background, there have been some exciting developments at Daedalus Yachts, and more specifically with the new Daedalus D88.

That’s right, the D80 is now the D88, as the owner decided to take the boat to full commercial registration and that she will carry a red ensign.

Their plans to circumnavigate three times in five years while enabling extensive scientific research to be carried out onboard led them to this decision, and with the extra eight feet, they are able to carry a larger tender and more equipment such as extra diving gear and bicycles.

Engineering changes to take the D88 to DNVGL standards has taken some extra time, but we are on track for a launch in 2020 and are excited at the ever-changing developments and growth with the use of hydrogen fuel cells to create the ultimate long-range adventure machine.

For all inquiries please contact:

Michael Reardon

Founder

Daedalus Yachts

michael@daedalusyachts.com

0e339e0b-7604-4e16-ac7f-a3b5c1d77783.jpg

307feb22-3a22-4619-b8be-f34029c972ff.jpg

d214747b-3a56-4d7f-9a25-53f9207d44f5.jpg

417b4c69-39ca-44ae-89a0-9b3d7b362316.jpg

Plenty of spots to top off your hydrogen tanks cruising around the planet?

I guess I agree with Elon Musk when he referred to fuel cell as a fool cell power source.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, boardhead said:

Plenty of spots to top off your hydrogen tanks cruising around the planet?

I guess I agree with Elon Musk when he referred to fuel cell as a fool cell power source.

LOL. I so hope I am wrong but was and still am so sad to see Farrier Marine reduced to being wrapped up in what feels like smoke and mirrors of the parent company. They just announced some new design changes to the Farrier line and that they are closing the NZ shop. The last ties to Ian are cut. :mellow:

• Like 1

So once we agree that even a performance, ocean voyaging catamaran without a super attentive sheet tending crew will essentially run with both hulls firmly planted in the water we can turn our attention to other issues like keeping the crew warm and dry in inclement weather.

Turning the bow profile upside down so that green stuff comes cascading back along the weather deck rather than rising and deflecting it back where it belongs gets old, fast.

Reverse bows on offshore catamarans are a fad which will pass in favor of the next gee wiz idea.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Wess said:

They just announced some new design changes to the Farrier line and that they are closing the NZ shop.

Where did you see that announced? That would be really unfortunate. Guess I better order a set of bushings and the other little hard to find parts to go with those F-85SR plans I'd like to build some day...

Edit: Never mind, just read the other thread. What a shame.

• Like 1

Any catamaran that sports two wind generators (and yes I have a wind gen) and two sat terminals and is putting them on a brand new design is worrying about the wrong things.

This boat does 36knots in 24 knots of breeze...…….36 knots is hauling tail feathers, I mean seriously hauling the mail...…….if this is on foils, handled by a computer...….I'd ONLY want Linus Torvalds writing that code.....………..great, great website, ton's of really cool images...……...go around the world for real...….then you need a real boat.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, soma said:

Which boat? Certainly not the D88...

"In terms of performance, the D80 is expected to reach 36 knots of boat speed in true wind conditions of 24 knots. Helm positions both out on deck and inside the saloon makes this an all-round sailor/cruiser no matter what the conditions at sea are. The yacht is being built entirely from carbon fibre from the keel up and will have an air draft of 38 metres. Underneath the waterline, the boards which draw 5 metres can be raised to allow for a draft of a mere 0.9 metres when entering smaller marinas."

This is the new parent company of Farrier Marine.  Can't imagine what Ian was thinking. 

I'd love to see this work out...through the lens of a webcam feed about 10 miles away: " Hydrogen is generated onboard and the energy is stored in BMW lithium battery banks. "

Hell no do I want raw H2 sitting inside a battery...wording on that needs some work. Fortunately that isn't what is happening (they are burning hydrogen to make electricity to charge the batters when the hydrogenerator isn't up to the task). Using a PEM stack to regenerate H2 has some serious shortcomings, not the least of which is poisoning of the stack and systems have proven this works over the long term...its really neat technology if that minor issue can be solved...

On 9/3/2019 at 4:03 PM, LouLou said:

It's great that you're interested in what's happening with our big brother, the D88, and perhaps your questions about refueling will be better answered by visiting the website and learning about the hydrogen regeneration system. It's amazing stuff; no fuel stops (or hydrogen!) stops required. www.daedalusyachts.com

The outline description of this groundbreaking technology is enticing but the lack of finite, real world, data is totally unconvincing such that the chances of a satisfactory and practical outcome would way too much of a gamble for me.

Wind and sun power sources only will enable a circumnavigation in this vessel but in what time frame?

Anyway, I wish you luck and await more detail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 6:46 AM, Wess said:

SNIP

Best boat for learning... UFO!

SNIP

Not disagreeing but I have not seen anyone say this before.  I use to sail a OD back in the day, a Southeaster.  It was basically an overgrown, over canvassed pram at 15+ feet home built out of plywood with a wishbone on the main sail.  Could almost keep up with a Flying Duchman.  Also have a little experience with beachcats, but never enough to flip one.  At my age I am chicken of the sea.

I looked at some UFOs before I bought my just purchased Prindle 18-2 but was concerned about how easy it would be to get up to speed on a foiler.  Any comments about how realistic it would be for someone like me to start from scratch on a UFO.  

mi56southeaster2.jpg

4 hours ago, boardhead said:

Expensive party!

why would that be expensive..... I doubt that there are more than 20 F boat owners present …

Ian donated some very cool shirts for all Fboat owners and crew during one of the last Trimaran Nats in Pensacola couple years back. Tech Polos with lots of embroidery, even had the names of the boats on them..  Class Act !  

• Like 2

I got nothing Tom. Love the boat (UFO) and have learned more on it than any other boat I have owned. Except may be Laser. But this thread ain’t about that... so...

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, THOR said:

where is lou lou now ?   C'mon lady  its time to organize that party in Annapolis

They ain't coming to the show AFAIK Thor.  At least they don't show up as an exhibitor. 

23 hours ago, Wess said:

They ain't coming to the show AFAIK Thor.  At least they don't show up as an exhibitor. 

bad mistake ….. with a little good will to Farrier ( and Corsair ) customers they could built something which would be a very valuable resource for them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, THOR said:

bad mistake ….. with a little good will to Farrier ( and Corsair ) customers they could built something which would be a very valuable resource for them.

Maybe they will invite the Farrier crowd to their factory. I'm sure showing off their big cat and production line for the F22s will be inspirational! 

4 hours ago, eric1207 said:

Some disturbing news about the old Farrier website with all its detailed information and helpful hints gone dark without warning....

That does not seem a good idea if anyone wants to maintain value in the Farrier / F Boat brands.

I'm not sure impetuous.  I just googled f boat and its the same bland website as before.  Can you provide a link for this luddite?  On the link in my previous post a sleuth did find on the wayback web archive thing the fboat owners page with its amazingly helpful info about inspecting and caring for fboats.  That is a relief.  

Looks like it's been slightly improved but all the old owners info and news archive still seems to be there. I have a full mirror of the old site as of a month ago if anyone finds something missing.

• Like 3

Just being a realist, things never seem to go well when a niche company driven by a single person gets sold. Ian was kind of an arrogant ass, but he was a perfectionist. Daedalus has already changed their story since buying Farrier. That scares me. Who knows, maybe they do a great job. 

Edit: and to be fair, sometimes things just get better!  

1 hour ago, eric1207 said:

I'm not sure impetuous.  I just googled f boat and its the same bland website as before.  Can you provide a link for this luddite?  On the link in my previous post a sleuth did find on the wayback web archive thing the fboat owners page with its amazingly helpful info about inspecting and caring for fboats.  That is a relief.  

Here you go.... https://f-boat.com/

1 hour ago, andykane said:

Looks like it's been slightly improved but all the old owners info and news archive still seems to be there. I have a full mirror of the old site as of a month ago if anyone finds something missing.

Have they removed or changed any content on the old site?  What about urls of old pages?  Do they still work or has this update created dead links and lost search engine position?

Good work on the mirroring by the way.  Do you have it on a server where we all can see it?

Here you go.... https://f-boat.com/

Hmmmm.  I'm not seeing what I'm used to with that link.  When I used to google fboat I'd get something like this (courtesy of that Wayback thing I mentioned previously).  Of course I could just be screwed up and not getting it.  Generally, computers/internet baffle me if I get off track.  I'm good with the wayback and the IO group if this website change turns out to be a fail.

I can understand out off a business point off view that you not support the old models on your site but I can't understand that all the pictures and video's about the F22 are not there or have death links. There is only text referring to picture that are not there. I can understand you make a fold with publishing but this situation is now almost a week, if this is the new quality of Farrier than that is not a good sign. With Ian this never happend.

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, mowgli said:

if this is the new quality of Farrier than that is not a good sign. With Ian this never happend.

That is an excellent point.

People are looking at anything that will give them some idea of future quality.

If the new company cant replicate a working web site, without a lot of it getting lost ,what is the chance of them being able to build a boat as detailed and complex as a folding trimaran. 

It is very much in their own interest to demonstrate beyond doubt that they can excel in the small stuff if they want to instill faith that they will be able to handle the big stuff.

I would like to see them carry on Ian's legacy but he isn't an easy act to follow.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, LouLou said:

Its really about time that you people cut us some slack.

Hah!  It's really about time that you understand the Farrier user base.  This is a fuck up.

19 minutes ago, LouLou said:

the amount of information there was staggering

Not anymore.  That treasure trove of history and technical details has been decimated by removing pages and breaking links from other web sites and from this forum.   NO RESPECT at all for this kind of boneheaded move.

For example: https://f-boat.com/pages/background/TT720.html

Many (all?) from this 19 page thread:

And from other threads too - you trashed them all! 

https://f-boat.com/pages/News6/F-32SRFlying.html

Let's hope @andykane publishes his copy of the site.  It won't fix the broken links to pages now missing from f-boat.com but maybe the content isn't lost?

@LouLou, you are way out of your league.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LouLou said:

If everyone would settle down a little and actually have a good look at the website before throwing accusations of losing this that or the other, it would be greatly appreciated!

As you all know the amount of information there was staggering and the website was a tangled mess so we have been working to simplify and clarify things WITHOUT losing any of the information contained within. 

This has been an arduous task and we are still going through the process of recreating a whole lot of links, many of which didn’t work due to their age.

Its really about time that you people cut us some slack. We’re not a big corporation with a massive staff, nor do we have the budget to throw big parties, and we figured the best way forward to save the brand, the boat, and Ian Farrier’s legacy would be to try and build the boat for a better price than spend money we don’t have on peripherals.

Interesting approach.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, LouLou said:

If everyone would settle down a little and actually have a good look at the website before throwing accusations of losing this that or the other, it would be greatly appreciated!

As you all know the amount of information there was staggering and the website was a tangled mess so we have been working to simplify and clarify things WITHOUT losing any of the information contained within. 

This has been an arduous task and we are still going through the process of recreating a whole lot of links, many of which didn’t work due to their age.

Its really about time that you people cut us some slack. We’re not a big corporation with a massive staff, nor do we have the budget to throw big parties, and we figured the best way forward to save the brand, the boat, and Ian Farrier’s legacy would be to try and build the boat for a better price than spend money we don’t have on peripherals.

wow..... just wow …

I think I need to show my people how its not done on social media …..

I need to check my links as some of them are getting old, they might not work anymore ????

2 hours ago, LouLou said:

Lou Lou did you look your self at the website, if you look at the entry F22 https://f-boat.com/f-22/specifications/  the one you want to sell there is almost only text and no pictures. Some text point to a picture that is not there. It is so easy to copy some old pictures from the old site and put them on the new.

Loulou you could have told us you were updating the website thereby preventing all this anger and angst.  We are happy to cut you some slack, but when you delete 30 odd years of carefully, minutely, catalogued valuable information for 100s of loyal loving boat owners, without warning, what do you expect??????  I agree, this was a bonehead, amateur move without much thought about your loyal base of potential customers.  BTW I had little trouble finding the info I was seeking on the old site, if I can do that, most anyone can. 

I hope you're able to eventually prove otherwise, but Mogli and Hatter reflect my first impression:  

if this is the new quality of Farrier than that is not a good sign. With Ian this never happened.

That is an excellent point.  People are looking at anything that will give them some idea of future quality.

If the new company cant replicate a working web site, without a lot of it getting lost ,what is the chance of them being able to build a boat as detailed and complex as a folding trimaran. 

It is very much in their own interest to demonstrate beyond doubt that they can excel in the small stuff if they want to instill faith that they will be able to handle the big stuff.

Loulou, I hope you are able to reestablish everything from the old site.   

All the best wishes for a bright Farrier future.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LouLou said:

There was a crazy amount of info on there, I think even more than most people realize.  So I have to thank you for making the effort to keep it available!

If it's not already on your radar, I would really encourage you set up a full set of url redirects so all those many links from across the internet over the past 20 years stay live and bring people to the relocated content. This will also let Google know where to find the updated content: right now, even searching for something like "Farrier f22 specs" brings up a link to https://f-boat.com/F-22Specs/index.html which leads to a page not found error. Not what you want!

• Like 1

Ian was a great designer and I love his boats.  But truth be told he did not always play and work well with others.  I visited the old site many times and have to say it could use an update.  Back in the day I developed web sites and if anyone thinks this is the first time a new site had a broken link they need a reality check.  While I like to party as much as anyone putting on a party is not free; as my Dad use to say 'every time someone gets something for nothing someone else gets nothing for something".

I just came over from the thread questioning if foiling was real sailing and have to say some of the posts there about luddites could apply here.  I am a big Ian/fboat fan but also understand that time marches on.  The new Corsairs are what I consider reasonable evolution of the original fboats.  Does anyone thing the original Trailertri 18 could compete in todays market.  Maybe the new Farrier Marine will fall by the wayside; maybe not.  But all this ashes and sackcloth stuff seems over the top to me.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Tomfl said:

if anyone thinks this is the first time a new site had a broken link they need a reality check

It's not just a broken link, most (all?) of the content is GONE.  So all links to the old content on all web pages, forums and search engines are dead.  That's a reality check.

6 hours ago, ProaSailor said:

It's not just a broken link, most (all?) of the content is GONE.  So all links to the old content on all web pages, forums and search engines are dead.  That's a reality check.

Even in Oregon you should still remember the disaster the first Obamacare web site was and they poured hundreds of millions of dollars into it.  From what I understand the new Farrier operation does not have a lot of long green to spend and I doubt a shiny new web site is at the top of their list.  Standard advice for not liking a web site is to not go there.

oldmanyells.jpg

• Downvote 1

Just to counter the flame fest here; I've been looking for an F boat and came across a corsair that did not have a bowsprit.  I emailed the Fboat to see if they manufactured them or new of anyone that could could make one. They responded to me within a day or so and while they didn't produce them they offered to try and dig up some plans. I thought it was pretty cool they still seem to look after their base

Sheesh, this is much ado about nuttin now that Loulou has explained that they are revamping the website and eventually all the content will return.  I'm happy to give them some time to do that.  All the angst could have been avoided simply by letting us know whats up.  A sentence on the IO forum and the Farrier home page would suffice.  

Tom, I don't think old man is yelling at a cloud here.  There was a lot of helpful, meaningful and very important content that disappeared overnight with no warning to the many many people who love Ian's boats and his amazing willingness to answer questions right up to his untimely death.  It truly was a shock to me, and kind of a gut punch that I would no longer have access to that info.  I'm not a techie guy but I imagine the scale of the interactive Affordable Health Care website, with maybe10's of millions of customers, was massively more complex than Ian's info-only Fboat site.

I have been looking forward to Farrier Marine continuing and being successful with the F22 and any other boats they come up with.  I wish them all the best.

6 hours ago, Tomfl said:

From what I understand the new Farrier operation does not have a lot of long green to spend and I doubt a shiny new web site is at the top of their list. 

They have access to a huge boost in cash flow by doing something crazy like selling plans for home built boats.  Plug it as a limited one time only offer and I'd be shocked if the take up was less than 1000 sets.  Most would never get built, but a lot of people would pay just to have the option of building later.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

They have access to a huge boost in cash flow by doing something crazy like selling plans for home built boats.  Plug it as a limited one time only offer and I'd be shocked if the take up was less than 1000 sets.  Most would never get built, but a lot of people would pay just to have the option of building later.

T H A T  .... is a good idea. 

9 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

1000 plans sounds optimistic to me but what do I know, I'm not close to the home builder scene.  I agree though, good idea and surely a lot would be sold.  Unfortunately Ian won't be there to answer questions INDIVIDUALLY! for the builders and I doubt Daedalus wants or even can to do that.  However there is so much knowledge out there from previous builders, especially thru the IO forum.  Any issues that come up would get answers there.

A loveable curmudgeon-genius passes after decades of organically developing a reference library online.

Could anyone have anticipated an unreceptive response from the loyalists? 

Look, I'm a huge fan of Ian and his boats... and his website grew up over time, layered up organically, with some links breaking along the way, some fixed, some not. Cutting that content over to a new base URL would be a challenge in and of itself without relative links and good HTML design from the beginning (unlikely to have been perfectly implemented) ... ramping to CMS or modern code would be harder still.

What's needed is a fan with a huge amount of time and strong skills to port the old content across and volunteer to scan the entire interwebs for broken links with which new cross links might be made... any volunteers for this herculean, thankless task?

Alternatively, folks could be patient and see what happens....

Randii

• Like 2
3 hours ago, teamvmg said:

T H A T  .... is a good idea. 

I agree, but I doubt if they would sell more than 50... There are still quite a few unused plans around and several people stockpiled when Ian announced the end of plan sales. 

There is a massive difference between Ian saying I’m stopping selling for a while to focus on f22 development and the current owners saying buy now last chance ever.  Truth is I’m sure plans (some used some not) are already being sold.  So they might as well provide a legitimate path and make some money off it.

On 10/4/2019 at 5:13 PM, eric1207 said:

1000 plans sounds optimistic to me but what do I know, I'm not close to the home builder scene.  I agree though, good idea and surely a lot would be sold.  Unfortunately Ian won't be there to answer questions INDIVIDUALLY! for the builders and I doubt Daedalus wants or even can to do that.  However there is so much knowledge out there from previous builders, especially thru the IO forum.  Any issues that come up would get answers there.

...and the fact that the plans are really comprehensive

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 1:50 AM, eric1207 said:

Loulou you could have told us you were updating the website thereby preventing all this anger and angst.  We are happy to cut you some slack, but when you delete 30 odd years of carefully, minutely, catalogued valuable information for 100s of loyal loving boat owners, without warning, what do you expect??????  I agree, this was a bonehead, amateur move without much thought about your loyal base of potential customers.  BTW I had little trouble finding the info I was seeking on the old site, if I can do that, most anyone can. 

I hope you're able to eventually prove otherwise, but Mogli and Hatter reflect my first impression:  

if this is the new quality of Farrier than that is not a good sign. With Ian this never happened.

That is an excellent point.  People are looking at anything that will give them some idea of future quality.

Loulou, I hope you are able to reestablish everything from the old site.   

All the best wishes for a bright Farrier future.

What is the status of fixing up the web site?

And is there any F22 production ramping up?  I heard that NZ team is completing the last one built there, and then packing up the moulds for shipment to USA.

I could use a F22 rudder setup once they get that set of moulds operable....

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, The Mad Hatter said:

What is the status of fixing up the web site?

The site is still rubbish, a lot off text referring to pictures that are not there for the old models. Only the information for the F22 is correct.

What will an F-boat cost outside the US after import duties and the Trump tax what most countries use.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a post on the f-boat forum quoting Michael Reardon saying its not true and the company has not folded.  Either way I would not do business with these folks.  Where there is smoke...

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, LMI said:

There is a post on the f-boat forum quoting Michael Reardon saying its not true and the company has not folded.  Either way I would not do business with these folks.  Where there is smoke...

LMI do you know for a fact that there are reasons to believe Farrier International is going under?

Given the strength of the order book I would find that surprising. On the other hand their backers have other projects that might drag them down and the rebuild of the website has not been a demonstration of excellent execution.

ANY ONE buying any boat not yet built should take due care about the risk of the supplier going bankrupt – so many well known name boat builders have, some of them multiple times.

Given that, it’s very easy to build up rumours that can become self-fulfilling. There are others competing in the space that might be happy to encourage such rumours.

If people have facts or actual observations by all means share them.

Anyone buying an unbuilt boat, treat it like the risky business transaction it is. That doesn’t mean don’t do it but don’t just sign the paperwork you are offered in exchange for providing a deposit. The f22 deposits to get in the que where not that big so not worth a lot of due diligence but when the time comes to writing bigger checks...treat it as if you are investing in the business or loaning money to it...

9 hours ago, KC375 said:

Anyone buying an unbuilt boat, treat it like the risky business transaction it is. That doesn’t mean don’t do it but don’t just sign the paperwork you are offered in exchange for providing a deposit. The f22 deposits to get in the que where not that big so not worth a lot of due diligence but when the time comes to writing bigger checks...treat it as if you are investing in the business or loaning money to it...

There's an additional worry with such things.  There are many ways to corrupt good construction.  Many things are not obvious after a build.  Resin preparation, glass quality, voids or fillers....all sorts of things can be done to just "get it done so we get paid".  Did they hit the target weight (by leaving out reinforcements?)?

One fact - not sure what it means though - is that Louise Clark appears to have left the company and started with another per her social media page.  She was "LouLou" here and oddly has wiped out all her SA posts (which were all Farrier related).

Man, I have had two friends that lost 6 figure $ sums when boat builders pulled the plug and went under.  Sure hope this is not a third in that string.

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Wess said:

One fact - not sure what it means though - is that Louise Clark appears to have left the company and started with another per her social media page.  She was "LouLou" here and oddly has wiped out all her SA posts (which were all Farrier related).

Man, I have had two friends that lost 6 figure $ sums when boat builders pulled the plug and went under.  Sure hope this is not a third in that string.

Boats are expensive enough without getting ripped off. Time for some serious show us what you got.

Small start ups have to prove there worth first, picking up a legend and riding on an established reputation can lead to a false sense of worth.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, boardhead said:

Boats are expensive enough without getting ripped off. Time for some serious show us what you got.

Small start ups have to prove there worth first, picking up a legend and riding on an established reputation can lead to a false sense of worth.

Don't jump to conclusions too quickly.  Rob D has a long history with Farrier and Ian and is positioned to know what is what.  I think most would describe him as a honest and candid guy.  He is quoted as saying the company is not folding.  Lots of tea leaves but if Rob is saying positive things that's a pretty good sign.  I hope... no dog in it for me but have friends that would be negatively impacted if Farrier folded (pardon the pun).

4 hours ago, Wess said:

This Louise Clark? Sounds about right...

Louise Clark (Author of The Cat Came Back) - Goodreads

Sounds like Louise is just going with the FLOW for now...

One of the planned events was a Thursday night lobster bake for 250 people, held in one of the shipyard’s large green buildings. But during the day, the participants didn’t have any races or sailing obligations. Some sailors took advantage of the free day to stroll around town, including Louise Clark, who had just gone shopping for food at the Belfast Co-op. She said she was flown in from her home in the south of France to work as a crewmember on the 60-foot catamaran Flow during the annual cruise, which started in Newport, Rhode Island.

Louise Clark

https://www.linkedin.com/in/louise-clark-98351059/

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I just hope that Ian's family got a boatload of cash from the deal, but also I was thinking that Ian's heart attack flying back home has something to do with this. This is so sad on so many levels.

I did give up the side is still unfinished after a half year and no updates. I don't know why Ian did sell it to this firm, they never did launch a boat.

• Downvote 1

Ian did not sell. The sale happened well after his passing and was a path chosen to get some return to the Farrier family, with an intended healthier future for the brand in the US. The worldwide situation we are all addressing is not helping that future.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

So are you saying Daedalus is dead?  And that any hope of production f22 with it.?  That is sad.

Definitely did not say that, just slowed down by the current cluster. 

On 7/1/2020 at 6:41 PM, plywoodboy said:

Ian did not sell. The sale happened well after his passing and was a path chosen to get some return to the Farrier family, with an intended healthier future for the brand in the US. The worldwide situation we are all addressing is not helping that future.

Ian had established a commercial relationship with these folks before he died. Everyone I knew in the business could not understand why given the dude’s history. Ian’s death just expanded that existing relationship or at least that is what I was told and I think the press release said. And that is the part that nobody can understand... Why did Ian ever get in bed with them given the history. Now the flip side of that is there is nobody most would trust more than RD once Ian passed and he stayed and has defending them which says something positive. No matter what it’s hard to argue anything positive has come out of this relationship unless the only alternative was a faster death of what was a great and highly respected company. 

• Like 1

When you say company, worldwide everyone agrees Ian was highly respected ( legendary really)  designer , nice guy etc but as for getting boats out the door as a production builder it seemed a bit less than stellar (post Corsair) it seemed, even when there were people queuing up.

• 8 months later...

I had gone by Daedalus last Aug while out on a drive and they were shutdown at that time due to covid. Spoke with can't remember his name but had French accent and he said they were hopeful for starting back up in the fall but as we all know the covid drug on longer than initially thought. After I get the car back together I'll take a shakedown drive over there it's only 30 minutes away and see what's going on if anything.  

IMG_6827a.jpg