• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a bit of a repeat of some previous posts because it is such a long & sad story - but it's finally over. I finally got the trans back sealed properly. Got it installed, ran it on the h

I just finished rebuilding the boom. It came apart fairly easily and I got the hardware either restored or replaced as required. All the slop is out of the gooseneck and all the nasty wire rope outhau

I'm no longer boatless. I finally managed to get this Nelson/Marek 1/2 Tonner bought today after nearly 5 months of trying. Now I just have to get it 100 miles down the coast to home. It has reputedl

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I need the advice of the brain trust.

I'm currently rebuilding my spinnaker pole - disassembled everything, cleaned, sanded and painted everything with zinc chromate and trim black, polished up the stainless bits and I'm nearly ready to reassemble it.

One of the piston springs was corroded to bits & pieces and seized solid  while the other one was very good. They were steel, not stainless so I had a replacement on hand.

My question is; what, if any, sort of lube should I put on the springs and the buried part of the piston shaft?

My concern is if I use a dab of white lithium it may end up staining my chutes.

Is it better to just let them run metal on metal Or is a dab of lube O/K?

Just now, sailingbeme said:

Just out of curiosity,  what's the diameter of your spin pole? Half tonner/30' correct? 

Correct.

2 1/2" X 11'

We use this on the control surface bearings in the gliders.  It resists dirt build-up, which is what you need on a spin pole, and wipes off easily when the time comes.   I have been wanting to try it on the sailboat.  

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/09-25900.php

It says it is designed for "sliding mechanisms" and it is food safe.  Don't get any ideas.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Diamond Jim said:

Is zinc chromate primer still available?

Yes although it's not as good as it used to be. A lot fewer solids in it but it still works to tie to the aluminium.

I put primer over it now to make up for the thinness of the current stuff.

2 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

We use this on the control surface bearings in the gliders.  It resists dirt build-up, which is what you need on a spin pole, and wipes off easily when the time comes.   I have been wanting to try it on the sailboat.  

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/pnpages/09-25900.php

I think I have a can of that somewhere.

• 1 month later...

:(:angry:

I was hoping to have a number of things to report but I have just ended several really depressing days of unremitting failure.

I bought some nice S/S Herreshoff cleats at the recycler a while back to introduce mooring cleats to the boat which until now has never had any.

I needed 4 but bought 6 cause they were cheap. I made up backing plates and a drill block to ensure true holes in the deck.

Drilled & countersunk the holes, got everything ready to go and discovered that the base spacing of one of the cleats was slightly different than the others - not noticeable unless you looked really close but enough to mismatch everything..

Guess which one I used as my template for everything. Now I have to fill 1/2 the holes, make 4 new backing plates, a drill block and redrill - and it's due to rain.

Next I was mounting new chocks for my freshly rebuilt spinnaker pole. Got everything laid out neatly, drilled the holes with an alignment block, countersunk everything and then fumbled one of the chocks over the side.

Managed to find a close mate at my boatyard so back to cleaning it up and painting again but it's holes are a different pattern so more filling & drilling..

Just got back from mounting my "new" Harken 2 speed self tailers. Everything went well, backing plates lined up etc. etc. Put down the goo, got everything tightened down and put the drums back on - they don't rotate properly - there is a point in the rotation where the drums sort of clunk and stick a bit. If I lift the drums while rotating it doesn't happen - almost like a shim is missing.

I'll have to strip them again and ensure everything is correct internally before I call Harken.

Not the best week I ever had but at least that's the 3 that bad things come in.

That sucks. I really hate it when everything fucks up because it's your fault.

Best decision I made lately was to have someone else replace my exhaust elbow. I would probably still have been down there unless my wife noticed I was missing.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

That sucks. I really hate it when everything fucks up because it's your fault.

Best decision I made lately was to have someone else replace my exhaust elbow. I would probably still have been down there unless my wife noticed I was missing.

Yeah, after a winter of more or less continuous boat repairs, I am thinking it would be nice to pay someone to do this stuff every now and then.   

Sorry about your shit week in boat repair, SJB, but on the bright side, spring is in the air and we will all be going sailing soon.  We are heading to the Silva Bay "outstation" this weekend for shakedown cruise to find out what is still broken.  Still haven't tuned the rig properly, I was up working on  the spreaders again today and finally got them sorted, but we only have 10 miles to go so we will only be sailing if the wind gods are kind.

SJB, while it's good to know you're mortal, I am sorry for your troubles. I can see several lawsuits you may want to consider. Call me.

- Rudi, lately of Mar-al-Lago

image.png.6a140696627a37ef5cc52ccccba96e0a.png

22 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:(:angry:

I was hoping to have a number of things to report but I have just ended several really depressing days of unremitting failure.

I bought some nice S/S Herreshoff cleats at the recycler a while back to introduce mooring cleats to the boat which until now has never had any.

I needed 4 but bought 6 cause they were cheap. I made up backing plates and a drill block to ensure true holes in the deck.

Drilled & countersunk the holes, got everything ready to go and discovered that the base spacing of one of the cleats was slightly different than the others - not noticeable unless you looked really close but enough to mismatch everything..

Guess which one I used as my template for everything. Now I have to fill 1/2 the holes, make 4 new backing plates, a drill block and redrill - and it's due to rain.

Next I was mounting new chocks for my freshly rebuilt spinnaker pole. Got everything laid out neatly, drilled the holes with an alignment block, countersunk everything and then fumbled one of the chocks over the side.

Managed to find a close mate at my boatyard so back to cleaning it up and painting again but it's holes are a different pattern so more filling & drilling..

Just got back from mounting my "new" Harken 2 speed self tailers. Everything went well, backing plates lined up etc. etc. Put down the goo, got everything tightened down and put the drums back on - they don't rotate properly - there is a point in the rotation where the drums sort of clunk and stick a bit. If I lift the drums while rotating it doesn't happen - almost like a shim is missing.

I'll have to strip them again and ensure everything is correct internally before I call Harken.

Not the best week I ever had but at least that's the 3 that bad things come in.

Oof, rough week.

Might it be easier to open up the holes in the cleat bases so they can accommodate the wonky spacing of the bolts? 

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

SJB, while it's good to know you're mortal, I am sorry for your troubles. I can see several lawsuits you may want to consider. Call me.

- Rudi, lately of Mar-al-Lago

image.png.6a140696627a37ef5cc52ccccba96e0a.png

Thanks, but I don't want my deck stained.

• 1 month later...

After redoing all the work noted upthread I went to the boat to start cleaning out tools & supplies in order to start equipping it for the summer.

My dock neighbour advised me that the previous day a powerboat had crunched into my bow hard enough to bring him up from below deck. Upon checking I discovered the forward leg of my pulpit had a couple of kinks in it. No note but he told me which boat it was. I advised the details to the marina office and they contacted him to contact me.

Upshot was that he claimed he left a note taped to the rail and was agreeable to my plan for compensation.

The pulpit was badly scarred from 40 years of wire halyards so I had it on the list for polishing. The lifelines were finished and needed replacing as well so this just moved those jobs up the list.

I had my S/S guy repair and polish the pulpit and just finished installing it and the freshly polished stanchions yesterday. They look like new now. I also ran across a serendipitous buy of 1X19 wire at a good price for the lifelines although I have to wait a bit for it to be delivered due to Covid restrictions.

Does this situation qualify as good luck or bad?

Or is it just a wash?

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Does this situation qualify as good luck or bad?

Or is it just a wash?

Definitely good luck: You got to have some needed stuff done for free, and you were lucky that your neighbor saw who did it. If you feel guilty, buy your neighbor some good beer (or offer to varnish his bull rail). On the other hand, it could also be God making up for woes described in your April 1st post.

• Like 1

Definitely good luck. I would advise double-checking the provenance of the 1x19 wire. Maybe not so critical for lifelines as for standing rig, but some of the cable coming out of China tests well below spec. Some of it is great! Some isn't. 

Sort of like galvanized anchor chain right now. There's really good, there's really bad, and there are outright counterfeits claiming to be Acco that ain't.

3 hours ago, Diarmuid said:

Definitely good luck. I would advise double-checking the provenance of the 1x19 wire. Maybe not so critical for lifelines as for standing rig, but some of the cable coming out of China tests well below spec. Some of it is great! Some isn't.

It's a fellow anarchist that's providing it.

Surely that's as good as an unconditional guarantee?