Jump to content

Show your boat not sailing


Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Elegua said:

 

 

ACtC-3cAwEaN0M7RTUF52QYbGZ5S6NZf5Et9cRPv

 

 

Damariscove Island?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

g

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In The Pool, Georgian Bay:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here.   

Posted Images

Yes. No other boats and settled weather.  I’m told a rare-ish occurrence. Anchored outside until I rowed in, talked to the caretakers, and got enough nerve to bring the boat in and turn it around. Spent one night, which was well enough, as a SW’er blew pretty hard the next day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bull City said:

@Willin' DId you zone out with your finger on the Return key?

Nah, I just thought what I said was really important and deserved a lot of space!

 

Ooooooops! I'm using a wireless keyboard through my laptop as a few of the laptop keys went dead. Sometimes I don't notice if it's resting on a key while I'm busily proofreading and correcting my spelling. Now I've got one more thing to proofread for.

I'll try to do better. Thanks for the heads up

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rstone said:

Congratulations, you bought a sweet boat. Hawaii bound?

Hawaii bound in ~June of 2022. I need to finish up a work project in the Bay Area first where I'm living part time. I'm in the process of moving to Haleiwa, HI right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rstone said:

Has she already been transported to San Francisco? Bet she'll be missed in and around Bass Harbor.

_20200825_104446.JPG

Was that Halcyon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rstone said:

Has she already been transported to San Francisco? Bet she'll be missed in and around Bass Harbor.

_20200825_104446.JPG

Yes, I bought Halcyon and had her transported to the SF Bay area then renamed her Kolibri. Just had an awesome sail with my daughter today. The Morris Annie is a wonderful boat. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

What kind of boat is that? Year?

She’s a 1977 Tartan 38, an S&S design. The hull is out of the same mold as the Tartan 37 but with a deep keel and taller rig. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IStream said:

Hah!

Is that tri in the background doing any better?

Sailing a hotter angle: straight for the marina bar. ;) "Multis are all about apparent wind. Apparently there's no wind. So let's have a drink."

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 2:12 AM, Kolibri said:

Yes, I bought Halcyon and had her transported to the SF Bay area then renamed her Kolibri. Just had an awesome sail with my daughter today. The Morris Annie is a wonderful boat. 

Did you at least kill the Macoui, or performed any other absolutely mandatory ritual in effect in your part of the world?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, leuk said:

Did you at least kill the Macoui, or perform any other absolutely mandatory ritual in effect in your part of the world?

Absolutely!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ajax said:

Brutal.

 

As a Chesapeake sailor, I can sympathize.

Ditto as a (former) Western Long Island Sound sailor. Much better out here on the East End. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 9:28 AM, rstone said:

Halcyon ex Ecumene.

Believe Hull #4

Correct. Hull #4. Morris built 16 and Loomis built a few more. Last time I lived in Hawaii I owned a Frances 26 built by Victoria Yachts instead of Morris.  With moving back to Hawaii I couldn't pass up this Annie. I love Chuck Paine's designs. Here's a picture of my old Frances anchored off the leeward coast of Oahu.

 

image.png.d914d502c3904aecefd2d2322778e7cb.png

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rstone said:

Nice! I'd be interested to know how many hulls Morris fitted out or completed. My guess is 10 maybe 11. 

Not really sure how many were completely finished by Morris. Watching YachtWorld for the last 15 years (since we moved back to CO from HI with plans to eventually return to HI) I saw two that were "owner finished" come up for sale. I was also keeping a close eye open for the Linda, Ocean Series 32, and Leigh. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the last year or so Hull #1 finished out by Chuck and Hull #3 completed by Jean Beaulieu were on the market.                                                   A friend owns #2. You now have #4 and I have #6. These three were completed by Tom Morris and company. Somewhere I have photo copies of Halcyon bring refitted/painted at the Morris yard in fall/winter 2001-02. 

Screenshot_2020-08-31-22-01-48.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rstone said:

In the last year or so Hull #1 finished out by Chuck and Hull #3 completed by Jean Beaulieu were on the market.                                                   A friend owns #2. You now have #4 and I have #6. These three were completed by Tom Morris and company. Somewhere I have photo copies of Halcyon bring refitted/painted at the Morris yard in fall/winter 2001-02. 

 

Beautiful! I look forward to seeing more photos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, Sean said:

She’s a 1977 Tartan 38, an S&S design. The hull is out of the same mold as the Tartan 37 but with a deep keel and taller rig. 

I never heard of that. Very nice. Is it a one-off? NO What is the draft? 6'9"

Carry on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Bella Sera, on her way from Kentucky Lake to us on the Chesapeake Bay last year about this time. Her nearing the end of a bit of a refit. Her the day we splashed but before we'd bent on the sails.

Bella on truck.jpg

Bella Sera on the hard.jpg

Bella_Sera_splashed!.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WindnCs said:

Our Bella Sera, on her way from Kentucky Lake to us on the Chesapeake Bay last year about this time. Her nearing the end of a bit of a refit. Her the day we splashed but before we'd bent on the sails.

Bella on truck.jpg

Bella Sera on the hard.jpg

Bella_Sera_splashed!.png

Yes I do Bull! Here's a pic from last week, third time out in her.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WindnCs said:

Yes Bull we do.

 

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Da, I have drone. 

I'm toying with the idea. There's a drone topic in Gear Anarchy. Maybe y'all could weigh in? How do you learn to fly one?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bull City Ok first, I have the "Spark" which is DJI's entry level drone. It has a 16 minute flight time and can only handle 22mph of wind.

That means that I only fly it on very calm days in an anchorage (over land is a different matter). Even the Spark has collision avoidance sensors. These make take-off and landing on a sailboat pure hell.  The sensors see you, the mast, the rigging, the lifelines and it squawks and balks. The short flight time makes this even scarier. Once I'm clear of the boat, all is well until I start running out of battery.

Your instinct is to use the controller and watch the drone with your eyes. You simply can't do this. Eventually, you lose sight of the drone. Watch the screen with the controller and "be the drone."  There are shitloads of Youtube videos on how to fly drones but practice is really the only way. Start out over land, do not buzz eagles and osprey. They WILL destroy it.

I've never had the balls to launch the drone and have it follow me while I'm sailing. The flight time is too short for my drone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Spark drone is pretty nice but so small that it is hard to catch whilst the boat is moving.  And like Ajax says, the drone can "see".  I shut all that sensor shit off when I fly.  I have Kevlar gloves for whoever catches it as well.  Those carbon fiber blades can do some damage...

I launch the drone downwind and clear of all obstructions.  When recovering while sailing, I'll hove-to  Pretty fast to do, especially when the battery is running out.  

I have lost one drone when I smacked into the radar that is on a pole off my stern.  You would think I'd hit the standing rigging, but no...I hit the biggest thing up there.  It made this awful sound and plunged into the water.  Now that I lost one, I am less afraid.  The replacement is a used model and I have all the controllers and batteries so...not as expensive to replace. 

I have my fishing net as a backup if I can't recover by hand.  I'll use it like they use to trap the old WWII planes.  Not sure if the motors will get damaged by the net but I'll find out eventually I suppose.

It is nerve wracking to fly though.  Practice makes it a little less so but...still.

Definitely fly the drone like you are doing a flight simulator.  You WILL lose track of it and get disorientated by trying to watch it instead of looking with it.

Wear glasses while catching it also in case you hit something and the carbon-fiber blades splinter and become shrapnel.

I've see some bigger drones that have handles or sticks glued to the under-body to help catch them as well.  The Spark is a little too small for that I think.

392752dc-d1a7-4354-831a-b0e26fa32692.thumb.jpg.0856fd44def1384a48173916e9243c8e.jpg

b8f425d8-0bac-4fc7-b61f-f6faa75d1709.thumb.jpg.4e410967755bfe71ad1a6c85e91e0b28.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2020 at 8:08 PM, Bull City said:

 

I'm toying with the idea. There's a drone topic in Gear Anarchy. Maybe y'all could weigh in? How do you learn to fly one?

 

Drones are pretty easy to fly, all-be-it not from the boat necessarily. My suggestion is to get a reasonably inexpensive one first and get used to flying that one before going big. I fly a DJI Spark which has a 1080P camera and that works fine. When I crash this one into the water I'll get a 4k one. This one might be a good one to start with, it has some cool features, and you can set it up to do some actions on it's own. I run the Marine Division at Crutchfield and I get to use a lot of the gear, hit me up if you have any Qs Bull!!  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_964MAVMINI/DJI-Mavic-Mini.html?tp=69855

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WindnCs said:

Drones are pretty easy to fly, all-be-it not from the boat necessarily. My suggestion is to get a reasonably inexpensive one first and get used to flying that one before going big. I fly a DJI Spark which has a 1080P camera and that works fine. When I crash this one into the water I'll get a 4k one. This one might be a good one to start with, it has some cool features, and you can set it up to do some actions on it's own. I run the Marine Division at Crutchfield and I get to use a lot of the gear, hit me up if you have any Qs Bull!!  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_964MAVMINI/DJI-Mavic-Mini.html?tp=69855

i like how you say "smartphone not included" 'cause you know some asshole will try to pike you if ya didn't

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WindnCs said:

I know Chester pretty funny huh!? Because someone will!

 

both my daughters worked in a local family style restaurant in their mid-teens...the regularity with which people tried to game the bill was flabbergasting!  "you ordered the food, you ate the food, now pay the bill"...sheesh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The recent drone shot in the southern Lau group gifted me  wont upload for some reason.

This is a cool spot though, Duff reef in the northern Lau. Big lagoon full of bommies, big sand cay/islet and one palm in one corner.

FB_IMG_1508362636976.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah.downgraded the image a bit... A mate just gave me this last week. Justin on Lolalei.

Taken in 19 in the Southern Lau, Yangasa. Very cool spot, you really have to creep in around the bommies but once in its nice.

Fulaga in the background.

Yangasa,_Justin_B.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

When our boat isn't sailing, it's often cooking.

If you ever so lightly saute (don't burn!) chopped fresh garlic and basil leaves in sizzling hot olive oil, then drizzle the hot mixture over freshly cooked pasta - tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella balls, then dust with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, add dressed fresh local greens, you'll be amazed what the hot oil mixture does to these simple ingredients. 

788146289_Cilieginimozzarellaballsandtomatoesonpasta._.thumb.jpg.18894ef2562da051573c15886c49575e.jpg  

 

For the record, I didn't do the cooking and in fact, we didn't have fresh basil (dried in a pinch), but I could do it (anybody can). 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, Kris Cringle said:

When our boat isn't sailing, it's often cooking.

If you ever so lightly saute (don't burn!) chopped fresh garlic and basil leaves in sizzling hot olive oil, then drizzle the hot mixture over freshly cooked pasta - tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella balls, then dust with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, add dressed fresh local greens, you'll be amazed what the hot oil mixture does to these simple ingredients. 

788146289_Cilieginimozzarellaballsandtomatoesonpasta._.thumb.jpg.18894ef2562da051573c15886c49575e.jpg  

 

For the record, I didn't do the cooking and in fact, we didn't have fresh basil (dried in a pinch), but I could do it (anybody can). 

Somes Sound? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 9:05 AM, Kris Cringle said:

If you ever so lightly saute (don't burn!) chopped fresh garlic and basil leaves in sizzling hot olive oil, then drizzle the hot mixture over freshly cooked pasta - tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella balls, then dust with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, add dressed fresh local greens, you'll be amazed what the hot oil mixture does to these simple ingredients. 

Kris, you could do that to a dog turd and it would be good. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, leuk said:

It looks glorious. What a beauty! What is it?

2016 Hanse 505.  Just bought from a guy in Long Island, had the refit done in Safe Harbor Pilots Point Marina in Westbrook, CT and then last weekend sailed her up to Boston.  Had wicked sail.  We covered 165nm in under 20 hours, averaging around 9kts the whole way.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IStream said:

Beautiful. And HIPAA-compliant!

But don't let me aboard or those underwater pimp lights will mysteriously stop working.

They are kind of hilarious.  I never would have ordered them, but my 8yr old loves to stare into the water and watch the fish and squid, so, I guess it will be a fun addition.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IStream said:

Beautiful. And HIPAA-compliant!

But don't let me aboard or those underwater pimp lights will mysteriously stop working.

Kids are mostly the reason why we can't have nice things, and I'm not only thinking about their maintenance cost and the resulting filmsy nice things budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I are letting our crappy old furniture and wall paint go to hell while there are still kids in the house. What's the point of replacing it? It'll just get trashed again...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

What did you have to "refit" on a 4 yr. old boat?

1. fixed, filled, sanded, primed, painted the hull.
2. replaced some teak deck boards
3. completely reconditioned the teak.  It was a disaster.  The previous owner did not take care of the boat at all.
4. fixed weeping oil on saildrive unit
5. replaced a port shroud
6. all the floor boards removed and the bilge cleaned.
7. replaced a dripping raw water pump connector.
8. installed deck deck lights on spreaders.
9. replaced steaming light with steaming/deck light
10. boat needed a major cleaning on all surfaces, inside and out.

The boat almost looks brand new now.  There is still a couple items that need attention which I will do over the winter.  These issues helped me drive the price down.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some of the photos from the hull and deck work. The guys said it took three passes on the teak to get it back to normal.

 

large.IMG_6538.JPG.9ea9674f20723b53e7e2f76e6fbd4682.JPGlarge.IMG_6561.JPG.6cfee124709003e5e82770e1f6ef1036.JPGlarge.IMG_6572.JPG.87a75b861da73f5cb4150530e6d633d2.JPGlarge.IMG_6573.JPG.1f4596cfa0a56e7173e8a3160d46b4d0.JPGlarge.IMG_6579.JPG.487526d770d712825c639869917aaeca.JPGlarge_16.jpg.4363c8d2e0387bc407456d8412f62919.jpglarge_17.jpg.8e935589e0fde88ae3de656d686629c6.jpglarge_19.jpg.99f1277e25f51063ed62a20f8b9e63da.jpglarge_20.jpg.5e8eb1a53a6a2160670f764fcb38681f.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites