Show your boat not sailing

1 hour ago, Hukilau said:

She's a beauty.  I was on a big Hanse at the Newport show a couple of years ago. I forget what model, but she was at least a 50.  Not sure what I was expecting, but I was kinda surprised at the value.  I am used to German cars; premium quality, premium price.  I think that was the first time I had ever been on a German-made boat and I guess I was expecting it to follow suit.  Struck me as more robust than the comparable Beneteau, but similar styling.  Congrats!

Thank you.  I agree with you.  The quality to value ratio is pretty high on the Hanse's. There are definitely areas that these manufacturers cut corners to keep the bean counters happy, but if you are aware of it and where they do it, you know what to upgrade over time.  But most importantly, the bones are solid, well designed and built.  I know the Euro styling is not everyone's cup of tea, but it will work well for my family while we live aboard all summer, and go on our adventures near and far.

We kinda had a baptism under fire on our delivery with big wind and waves, and she really handled it well.  I was down below when I was off shift, and there wasn't much creaking and odd noises other than the sound of the water slipping by the hull.  Who can't sleep to that.  :)

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In The Pool, Georgian Bay:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here.   

Here is my new one. Definitely not sailing in these pictures. It will be soon. It is my design based off the profile of a Monk designed sloop I restored in the 1970's. 

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Maui, the boat looks lovely. From your story about the owner, items 3, 6 and 10 must have been challenges. You are wise to put it behind you.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Thanks Bull.  We are stoked for next season already.  Gonna be a long winter.  :)

So, I have a related delivery story.  While we were headed towards Mystic, CT, we noticed this sailboat heading out towards Montauk, and was healing quite a bit, but was making good progress it seemed.  It was on a reach to maybe slightly close reach, 60deg to the wind.  It was a cat style boat, with a windsurfing boom like a Nonsuch.  Well, suddenly the whole top half of the mast folded over.  Broke in half.

large.1198165847_PhotoOct1633353PM.jpg.87cb8da422fd1e421b7f4d477b93b082.jpglarge.1925859899_PhotoOct1633353PM-2.jpg.4584fe5c1ee69da5015a281818a4e45a.jpg

We called in to the Coast Guard alerting them of the incident and to possibly send assistance.  We slowed down to be available incase we were needed.  About 15min after we called it, we hear the guy on the radio saying "PAN PAN".  "PAN PAN".   The coast guard responded and it was the guy who we just saw losing his mast.  The coast guard was on their way, but the guy didn't seem to want help but wanted them nearby incase, he was going to attempt to continue across the sound to Long Island where he said he was going to attempt repairs.  He was unable to take down the sail obviously, but, was still making headway.

The funny part of the story was, when the coast guard was asking how many people aboard and if he was alone.  This old guy responded, "it's just me and Louis, so, yea, I am alone."  We were like, did he just trash his wife over the VHF??  Or is Louis his dog?  Or maybe it was the boat name, but I don't remember him saying it was the boat name.   Pretty sure he will be sailing really alone next time if that was his wife.  :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 9:53 PM, MauiPunter said:

To say the previous owner was eccentric would be an understatement.   He is somewhat famous and a bit of an arsehole. Was in Fourtune Magazine. You wouldn't believe what happened at closing if I told ya but he is litigious as fuck and I am not going to talk about it.  I'm glad it's in the past and this beauty is all mine.  @Sail4beer experienced some of his assholeness when he was helping with my delivery.  I was kinda embarrassed but Sail4Beer took it in stride and was a champ.

Edit: Ok, Here is one story to help give you the flavor of what kind of asshole he is.   He delayed the closing on the boat for a week cause he wanted one last weekend on the boat for Labor Day.  I really didnt want to lose a week, but I gave in and said ok.  Fair enough.   Well, turns out, the fucker never even showed up to use his boat.  It sat on the mooring one more weekend for no reason other than to continue to fuck with me.   I think he was still pissed that he agreed and signed off on the price we finally negotiated down to and just wanted to put the screws to me to show me or something.  It was one of the weirdest purchase experiences have I have ever gone through.

Oh, and he left a deuce in the head for me that Sail4Beer found.   Nice guy.

Did you rename the boat?

Posting for a dad:) Somewhere on a fresh water sea.

Gotta shout out to my father for keeping up an impeccable maintenance schedule for his Frers 33, Hull #41. One summer day, I watched a Swan swim up and get into a heated confrontation with his reflection off the hull. 

P8080185.thumb.JPG.33fa5512dfa8db23bcd3e86b1f1bf857.JPG

• Like 9
5 minutes ago, Fisher said:

One summer day, I watched a Swan swim up and get into a heated confrontation with his reflection off the hull. 

P8080185.thumb.JPG.33fa5512dfa8db23bcd3e86b1f1bf857.JPG

Those fuckers are mean. :D

38 minutes ago, bmiller said:

That's what I'm talking about!!!

What is it?

It's a Waarschip 725. They are small wooden quarter tonners from the 70's. They are abound in the Netherlands but I was fortunate to pick up a beautifully well maintained one. 

20191016_104949.jpg

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Matagi said:

It's a Waarschip 725. They are small wooden quarter tonners from the 70's. They are abound in the Netherlands but I was fortunate to pick up a beautifully well maintained one. 

20191016_104949.jpg

I have never seen a Waarschip boat i didn't like.  i love that they are committed to ply/epoxy, i like the functional and asthetic  of their designs, i like that they continue to design and build small boats;  i don't like that they are almost exclusively in Europe.  I guess i wish they built centre boaurds/lifting keel...they don't seem to but hey: 6.2 metres of goodness

Waarschip 21 CR

• Like 5

Winter layup projects began last weekend with the rub rails. The fwd tip of the starboard rail busted off because the lift strap was a little too far forward, and while moving us to the yard, the strap bore against the tip until it popped off a piece. The rails have some decay at the ends, and the port one had some repair in the center, which looks like it may have been rot fixed by the builder/PO. We figured it would we would eventually want to replace them, just not expecting it this year. At least our bottom job held up well (especially for being rather rushed and it being my first time doing it), so at least I probably don’t have to do that whole thing again. This may push us to repaint the topsides (at least waterline to the deck), though, since we are going to have these off. 

At least I hope we will have them off. I removed all the nuts from the through bolts (every six inches for the 16ft length), and the rails barely budged. I’m thinking a series of shallow angle wooden wedges I can progressively drive between the rail and hull to break the sealant. Then I’m going to need to mill some new ones, probably in quartersawn white oak, which will do a cold bend pretty well. I’ll probably introduce some pre-bend to make my life easier later. The stainless caps on these rails were no joke. They were on the order of 3/16” thick. I’m glad my Dad was able to help me that day, because I’m sure I would have ended up bending one under its own weight while trying to remove them on my own. 

E3D4E756-1919-4EBB-9E83-5567ACAA7EEC.thumb.jpeg.46f381f55996fd98f430673e7cb5b963.jpeg

E28AF4D9-7341-495E-A4A4-E128511D4987.thumb.jpeg.54d7e5060b8f806156a582bd7faf9d9d.jpeg

FF39A3ED-1D34-4257-831D-75F4CDB7E51D.thumb.jpeg.1f57ef70af6b41c6ea4330b572250768.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks!

Pearson 303...

Yeah. A sedate 3.5 ksb, but that's one attribute (among others) that makes her a fine singlehander.

7 Chicago Solo Macs and  Solo Super Mac & Back under her keel...

Attempted a second SM&B this June but got a DVT in Lake Huron so had to abandon and spend some Quality Time at the ER in Alpena.

At least the last sail of the season was a nice one.

Helluva a year!

20201030_165054.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, sidmon said:

Thanks!

Pearson 303...

Yeah. A sedate 3.5 ksb, but that's one attribute (among others) that makes her a fine singlehander.

7 Chicago Solo Macs and  Solo Super Mac & Back under her keel...

Attempted a second SM&B this June but got a DVT in Lake Huron so had to abandon and spend some Quality Time at the ER in Alpena.

At least the last sail of the season was a nice one.

Helluva a year!

Awesome! It's all about getting out on the water and with the COVID crap being able to easily single hand is a bonus. Pearson's are some great boats. Enjoy!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Lot of junk on the trunk but a Baba buried under there?

only a dinghy and solar panels...jeez...trying to stay in control

Valiant 42

28 minutes ago, IStream said:

Not to criticize, but you are new here...How tall is that fucking arch? And why the taller yet standoffs below the panels?

Dunno, didn't measure it. Just bought this. Factory arch. PO installed extensions they actually go up and out, it looks worse from under. All that coming off. I can mount panels without all that shit. Also, the boat has 9 various antennae on it. Cell x 2, Satellite, WiFi, GPS x 2, VHF, Satellite TV, SSB so there is rail for that.

23 minutes ago, IStream said:

It's satisfying to take shit off a boat.

Totally.

I took several dumpsters of shit off of and out of my Columbia 43 while prepping it for trucking.

I took off and sold so much shit and COTB from my Fortune 30 that I cut my net cost for the boat down to low 4 figures - for a boat ready to head offshore after provisioning.

Simply pulling off the majority of the COTB raised the stern 4"

8 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

They all come to an end. 

760592558_Sailflakingfall2020.thumb.jpg.ef72d1a61251f6baac7b1a3371310c18.jpg

It's the final curtain when the kick-ass comes down. Done. 

2075024327_Pullingmizzen20202.thumb.JPEG.99e4ade37c0341dc217ffe0caed2da0f.JPEG

That's sad.

We still have to go out and switch out the summer genoa for the winter one.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, IStream said:

Not to criticize, but you are new here...How tall is that fucking arch? And why the taller yet standoffs below the panels?

To get the panels closer to the sun! Duh!

Just now, Bugsy said:

^^  What is flying off the backstay?  Maybe my life is sheltered but I have no idea what that is.  

Nice looking and properly Bristol-fashion boat!  

I believe it is a riding sail to keep the boat pointed into the wind while anchored. It prevents hunting around.

• Like 3
On October 31, 2020 at 10:54 AM, IStream said:

It's satisfying to take shit off a boat. Mine had five heads when I bought it. I'm down to four and look forward to ripping out two more at some point.

5 heads? 70'er?

42 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

5 heads? 70'er?

A 50'er, which makes it even more absurd. Four cabin/four head charter configuration plus "crew quarters" in the bow with its own toilet and tiny sink. I yanked all that out the instant I got the boat, converted the bunk into a workbench, and mounted a vise where the sink used to be. 

11 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

The bog paper consumption must be prodigious.

I don't think having more heads on a boat causes an increase in overall usage. :D

Just reduces any potential wait time.

I grew up in a house with one bathroom but now I have 3 1/2 - I don't crap any more frequently because of it.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 11:06 PM, Elegua said:

Darn - lost opportunity. 

A couple of French guys going transatlantic noticed water spewing up the floorboards. Apparently it was pretty quick - just enough time to get in the raft - and they didn't report hitting anything. I can think of only two holes that big. 

yNYCLVOV66LT95c1Erk_AvJqRjlKo6AaXayuArUY

i am angry and jealous, these fucking guys were able to buy a nice boat were not able to fucking maintain it afloat, that doent take fucking much and here i am, sitting in russia, every fucking  piece if shit dead boat costs at least three fucking times   as ficking much  as in every fucking other country, and tthis is not the fucking end, to sail you need to register your boat and pay half the price you bought it and thatts not all, afterr all of thios clusterfuck you need to pay for license and if you decide not to your fucking boat will be confiscated and destroyed in matter of days if some government guy will not decide to keep her to himself

FUCK ME 

32 minutes ago, Elegua said:

If you flush all at the same time, does the boat implode? 

No, but that's four Vacuflush systems all cranking away at the same time so the ammeter does a little jig for a bit.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:31 PM, Willin' said:

Damariscove Island?

g

fuck you, buddy

5 hours ago, Bugsy said:

^^  What is flying off the backstay?  Maybe my life is sheltered but I have no idea what that is.  

Nice looking and properly Bristol-fashion boat!  

Riding sail is correct, fashioned from the boom cover. As a 6000lbs 32fter with very little lateral resistance when the foils aren’t in buried in the water it can sail at anchor like nobodies business. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pironiero said:

fuck you, buddy

Always happy to piss off, annoy or otherwise cause emotional discomfort, noob. Shall I post the pics of my dick between your wife's tits?

Swore off this thread after the lighting strike and repairs meant we could not sail, but OK, just one from one of the many cruises this year...

IMG_5883.jpg

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, IStream said:

I realize you have negative associations with this thread, but it is intended as a happy place...

Fair enough. But our happy place is on the boat, underway.  Or at anchor.  We did have a great cruising season and we haven't given up yet.  Now all the cruising gear gets taken off, the tanks emptied and we day sail all winter in "sport" mode LOL. Anyway two more from two other cruises.IMG_5342.jpg.855aacf782f8be5256b71ea16d698a43.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

• Like 5
On 11/2/2020 at 10:16 PM, Alberta said:

In cruising configuration at Santa Cruz Island. 

44D44416-DEDC-4511-9238-45B4F654A881.jpeg

It appears to be not on fire. The island. Which for California is a nice change. (I'm still bawling over the acreage of Nat Forest and wilderness lost in CO and WY this Fall.)

10 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

That looks like an amazing ride... thanks! Lots of good details to study here!

FB- Doug

Glad you like it. Here are a couple more from what has to be one of the only Figaro 3 cruising trips.

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:
1 hour ago, Alberta said:

Glad you like it. Here are a couple more from what has to be one of the only Figaro 3 cruising trips.

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

It must be nice having two diving boards in warm water.

It must be hot there - it looks like the diving boards melted.

• Like 2
On 11/9/2020 at 5:47 PM, IStream said:

I'm hoping this was a planned action!

it started so, but went downhill pretty fast.

this is the result of a previous owner trying to save some $ by hiring cheap labor and using cheap materials.

now it is being redone properly (and not quite cheap...).

On 11/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Trovão said:

it started so, but went downhill pretty fast.

this is the result of a previous owner trying to save some $ by hiring cheap labor and using cheap materials.

now it is being redone properly (and not quite cheap...).

Good...I think. I'm glad to hear it wasn't a collision. I've always admired your boat.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ajax said:

Good...I think. I'm glad to hear it wasn't a collision. I've always admired your boat.

Thanks. I can only guess the reason for one of the previous owners to replace the original high-quality plywood with the very poor quality one I'm replacing now - maybe IT WAS a collision, although I've been told the boat has suffered some severe grounding, that resulted in a broken centerboard, when trying to enter an uncharted river bar in heavy seas, so maybe the damage happen then.

Anyway, it is being properly fixed now, for my piece of mind - I don't want to be sailing (specially with my wife) in a boat that I keep guessing what will break next...

2 minutes ago, blunted said:

Not sailing 2020

I went for night club lights this year om the Bimini and they were awesome, esp in disco mode.

All tucked in now for the winter.1899045867_notsailing-01.jpg.1fd32fdd9cfbbec52f90b4eace90380e.jpg

Installing a stripper pole next season?  :D

• Like 1

shrink wrapped for the winter.  Ironically, this was done during a week in late October when we had four straight days in the 70's.  Back to seasonal cold and rain now...

fall 2020.jpg

Well yesterday we snuck out for some frostbite sailing here in Toronto. The forecast had been calling for a front all day and finally at about 3:15 in the afternoon it blew in with a sharp crisp front just as we were pulling the RIB out of the harbor. Small Chaos in the boat park / parking lot as a number of trailers went prison break on us. One managed to mow down the parking control gate and amble across the street into the neighbors yard without causing a crash, another took out the second lane parking gate and got hung on the parking island thankfully before making it to the street. No major drama but entertaining to watch them try and get away.

We however fared better than Outer Harbor Marina about 1NM from us.

We also hope for the best for a kite boarder who got caught out and is not in good shape in the hospital. He was sailing close to where these photos were taken.

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.81cd352b7b5c5e54eccf7d9b4933d723.JPGIMG_0311.thumb.JPG.de5665317af902aac9467d7a005abba4.JPGIMG_0312.thumb.JPG.2892de964d591593127417ba5a9bfd28.JPGIMG_0313.thumb.JPG.329b4ff5574449a57cd3828d751ef775.JPG

@editor

57 minutes ago, blunted said:

Well yesterday we snuck out for some frostbite sailing here in Toronto. The forecast had been calling for a front all day and finally at about 3:15 in the afternoon it blew in with a sharp crisp front just as we were pulling the RIB out of the harbor. Small Chaos in the boat park / parking lot as a number of trailers went prison break on us. One managed to mow down the parking control gate and amble across the street into the neighbors yard without causing a crash, another took out the second lane parking gate and got hung on the parking island thankfully before making it to the street. No major drama but entertaining to watch them try and get away.

We also hope for the best for a kite boarder who got caught out and is not in good shape in the hospital. He was sailing close to where these photos were taken.

IMG_0314.thumb.JPG.81cd352b7b5c5e54eccf7d9b4933d723.JPGIMG_0311.thumb.JPG.de5665317af902aac9467d7a005abba4.JPGIMG_0312.thumb.JPG.2892de964d591593127417ba5a9bfd28.JPGIMG_0313.thumb.JPG.329b4ff5574449a57cd3828d751ef775.JPG

@editor

well that fucking sucks!  i just read in the Star that the storm caught out some kite boarders and one got hurt.

55 minutes ago, blunted said:

IMG_0312.thumb.JPG.2892de964d591593127417ba5a9bfd28.JPG

Same happened over at our marina at Fifty Point (Hamilton) in one of the storage compounds. Front came through with a bang. 
Can see from those pics at OuterHarbour that the above cradle blew right off the blocks placed under it. The blocks are so the hydraulic trailer beams can be slid out from below. 

1 hour ago, blunted said:

@editor

Ouch! I hope the kiter recovers.

Still...those boats are in better shape than most those taken over by youtubers for cruising. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ajax said:

Every year I scratch my chin and think "Gee, should I haul out for the winter or leave it in?"

I won't doubt myself anymore.

Until something freezes, breaks, and the boat sinks......