Show your boat not sailing

9 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

I saw some comment above that it was so some lift machine could get under the cradles.

But whatever the reason, bad bad idea. The insurers will not be pleased when they see that arrangement

Insurers around here would be more concerned if the cradles were not blocked to permit proper draining of decks and cockpits, resulting in freezing and water damage to the boat... leveling the cradle on blocks, or sitting the keel on blocks if using boat stands, is standard operating procedure in my part of the world.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In The Pool, Georgian Bay:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here.   

Here is my new one. Definitely not sailing in these pictures. It will be soon. It is my design based off the profile of a Monk designed sloop I restored in the 1970's. 

Posted Images

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

:o

Sounds like a warranty claim to me.

That must have been one rough ride, even with 30 odd tons under you.

Very rough, very slow, 35~45 over the deck for most of the trip, largest waves were in the 20 foot range.  The worst were the waves with no back.

5 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Insurers around here would be more concerned if the cradles were not blocked to permit proper draining of decks and cockpits, resulting in freezing and water damage to the boat... leveling the cradle on blocks, or sitting the keel on blocks if using boat stands, is standard operating procedure in my part of the world.

Same done around here. Our marina operator has started welding 8” sections of C beam on the cradle corners to eliminate need to block with timber. Still has to use 2x8 sometimes to shim for forward/aft or side to side for drainage, depending on the ground. 

In addition to having a few boats blown over last week, there was a boat fire in one of the storage compounds early morning yesterday that destroyed 2 boats and damaged 3. Under investigation by the fire marshal. 2020 just keeps on giving. 

6 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

As mentioned above, it allows the hydraulic trailer to 'escape' after placing the boat. Using hydraulic trailers lets the marina operator store the boats much closer together than would be possible when placing the boats with the Travelift. More importantly, blocking allows leveling the cradle on uneven ground and permits adjusting the boat's 'bow up' or 'bow down' trim so the cockpit drains properly. Some places 'skid' the cradles around the yard with a tractor; this is the only way to eliminate the blocks that I am aware of.

In the yard I frequent I -Beam "feet" on the corners of the cradle allow the big forklift to get under the cradles. They can fork boats up to about 10,000 Lbs.

Screw jacks on each strut of the cradle take care of levelling. The only wood used is heavy blocking under the keels.

A much better system IMO.

• Like 1

For those that don't understand the concept, our cradle just scrapes into the thing, we are as wide as it can handle. The red frame thing looks like a giant tuning fork from above and is back up onto the boat cradle, then locked and lifted.

You can see our cradle has mandatory welded on feet to elevate the cradle for the lifting rig. on the lifting cart you can see the grey flip in feet things hanging down at the bottom that will swing under our cradle, get locked in to lift everything.

How you ask does it lift it? Well the wheels get hydraulically pushed down relative to the red frame. so the frame and the boat go up and then everything can be moved. In our case it all gets towed behind a tractor trailer, in the other yard it just gets moved by a regular tractor.

carrier-01.jpg.8a879087f480b0d826e26cfc0c749dec.jpgcarrier-02.thumb.jpg.5751bc247646405455bd3db3c7454900.jpg

On November 21, 2020 at 6:29 AM, Bryanjb said:

Very rough, very slow, 35~45 over the deck for most of the trip, largest waves were in the 20 foot range.  The worst were the waves with no back.

Would have been way not fun on a lot of other boats. You're big, with a lot of lead, on a boat that is as good upwind as any. If you had a rough time, it was rough.

13 hours ago, bgytr said:

Our last trip of the season into downtown Baltimore.. pic from the boat, not of the boat (not sailing...)

20201121_01381small.jpg

These days, I wouldn't get any closer to Baltimore than that.

5 hours ago, Ajax said:

O cmon now...  we had a great time over the weekend, got some food at a couple federal hill locales, walked along the waterfront.. Bmore is a great city, let's hope the new leadership makes headway cleaning things up.

My son the cop and his GF were in B'More a year ago. They booked with a major hotel chain but when they got there they found the area was so sketchy that they changed hotels the next day.

They liked some areas of the city but won't be back.

14 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My son the cop and his GF were in B'More a year ago. They booked with a major hotel chain but when they got there they found the area was so sketchy that they changed hotels the next day.

They liked some areas of the city but won't be back.

Typical of any city, no?  Some good some not so good spots.

23 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A major chain hotel in a "not-so-good" spot?

I've never seen that.

I'm guessing you haven't traveled the I-95 corridor between Richmond and central Connecticut.

I've stayed in several that featured screaming drunken brawls in the wee hours, parking lot shootings, and business girls handing out condoms in the lobby.

Part of the fun and excitement of travel... they say it's educational....

- DSK

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A major chain hotel in a "not-so-good" spot?

I've never seen that.

maybe it wasn't not-so-good when they first established? or was a new/recent build?

On 11/24/2020 at 9:29 AM, Ajax said:

I recently spent a month on a work assignment in Baltimore.  There is a thread about it in GA.  

The waterfront area of Baltimore (shown above) is clean, safe, tourist-friendly and a nice place to hang out (although most things are shut down due to COVID).   There certainly are areas in Baltimore where I felt uncomfortable.  I think that is true of most major cities.  

I played tourist in the surrounding area by visiting small towns, historic sites and places that tourists generally go.  I found the whole area very pleasant and the people generally kind and friendly.   I expect my employer will send me back there in January.  I am not dreading returning by any means.  

So, let's see more pictures of boats not sailing.  My boat is covered in snow right now so not much to see.....

I like visiting Baltimore and I will continue to do so, but I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be a real obvious, to outsiders at least, delineation between "good" and "bad" parts of town. This seems to be a bit easier to sort out in some other big cities I've been to. 

1 hour ago, Slick470 said:

I like visiting Baltimore and I will continue to do so, but I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be a real obvious, to outsiders at least, delineation between "good" and "bad" parts of town. This seems to be a bit easier to sort out in some other big cities I've been to. 

I was walking along the street in search of coffee and up ahead (in front of a fast-food place) some crackhead was on the street accosting passers-by and yelling "BUY ME SOMETHING TO EAT.  I AM STARVING".  I took that as an indication I was heading towards the wrong part of town and turned around.....  

But, yeah, Baltimore is the 'city of neighborhoods'.  For an outsider, its not clear which are the good ones and which are not.  

51 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

I was walking along the street in search of coffee and up ahead (in front of a fast-food place) some crackhead was on the street accosting passers-by and yelling "BUY ME SOMETHING TO EAT.  I AM STARVING".  I took that as an indication I was heading towards the wrong part of town and turned around.....  

But, yeah, Baltimore is the 'city of neighborhoods'.  For an outsider, its not clear which are the good ones and which are not.  

Agree, I've had times when walking or driving around and suddenly realizing I'm in an iffy part of town, but then also realizing if I go another block I'll be past it.  

1 hour ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Nice boat. Friends had one and loved it. Basically the little brother of the Niagara 35.

I've been surprised at the quality of the build.  They even lined the closets with teak. 

Before our boat search, I had never heard of Aloha.  I knew of Mark Ellis though. 

20201130_181033.thumb.jpg.c0eaaa58c409527325ceb1080876c4ce.jpg

It's that time of the year again.  Parade on dec 12th. 

Doing this gives the wife a thrill, and gets me out of buying a present (other than useful on the boat presents).

20 strings, (14 led and 6 in candescent). Pulls 230 watts on the inverter. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Jules said:

I've been surprised at the quality of the build.  They even lined the closets with teak. 

Before our boat search, I had never heard of Aloha.  I knew of Mark Ellis though. 

aloha built a 27/28 foot perry design too.  a no non-sense, good quality, low volume builder i guess.

• Like 1

Installed my new Furuno DRS4W radar yesterday.  Pulling the old wire out from my ancient Raytheon raster screen radar was...painful.  Pretty sure they heard me yelling in the marina office.  The PO, God love him, ran that fucking wire everywhere.  

Not sure how this wireless iPad only radar will work out but I'm going to see.  Replaced my old weather-beaten 6' pole with a Seaview 8' pole.  Have to say that the Seaview pole I bought from them is beautiful.  

I just ordered the rail standoff kit as well.  Thought I could get away from it but that extra two feet of pole just too much I think to not have something else holding it in place.  Going to attach it to the solar panel bars on top of the bimini.  That is the plan anyway.

PXL_20201201_235157937.thumb.jpg.e20cd016dc4f60c111f2153acb4c4edd.jpg

PXL_20201201_235233256.NIGHT.thumb.jpg.953ce4574ee7146a72de673e9856e192.jpg

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

Installed my new Furuno DRS4W radar yesterday.  Pulling the old wire out from my ancient Raytheon raster screen radar was...painful.  Pretty sure they heard me yelling in the marina office.  The PO, God love him, ran that fucking wire everywhere.  

Not sure how this wireless iPad only radar will work out but I'm going to see.  Replaced my old weather-beaten 6' pole with a Seaview 8' pole.  Have to say that the Seaview pole I bought from them is beautiful.  

I just ordered the rail standoff kit as well.  Thought I could get away from it but that extra two feet of pole just too much I think to not have something else holding it in place.  Going to attach it to the solar panel bars on top of the bimini.  That is the plan anyway.

PXL_20201201_235157937.thumb.jpg.e20cd016dc4f60c111f2153acb4c4edd.jpg

You're all set for the Med with your passerelle 

7 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

Hard to tell from the photo but if that's your radar reflector and it's on the same plane as the dome, I'd suggest moving it out of the line of fire. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IStream said:

Hard to tell from the photo but if that's your radar reflector and it's on the same plane as the dome, I'd suggest moving it out of the line of fire. 

Or lose it entirely and put a good reflector somewhere up the rig.

4 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Or lose it entirely and put a good reflector somewhere up the rig.

I read a bunch of tests and reviews and apparently the best performing reflector is still the ordinary Davis, round tetrahedron thing.

33 minutes ago, Whinging Pom said:

Very interesting but the article is 15 years old and one of the best products (tri lens) seems to be discontinued. Heck, even the Plastimo diamond which was a highly recommended "budget" reflector isn't sold anymore.

Bummer.

12 hours ago, Elegua said:

You're all set for the Med with your passerelle 

Right?  When I flip the boat around in the slip and put the cover on for winter (running a bit late this year, the weather has been incredible), we use that exactly as a passerelle.  The boy has already fallen off once and killed his phone in the process.  I laughed so hard, it was easy getting him another one.  That and insurance...

• Like 1
12 hours ago, IStream said:

Great call.  Once I got it hooked up, I left and had a beer at Cloudburst.  Been working since.  I'll move that deflector this weekend.  Thanks!!  Probably would have not caught that!

3 minutes ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

Great call.  Once I got it hooked up, I left and had a beer at Cloudburst.  Been working since.  I'll move that deflector this weekend.  Thanks!!  Probably would have not caught that!

I'll probably be down on E dock all weekend rewiring my windlass and replacing my washdown pump. Give me a shout if you need a hand. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Beer fueled Mayhem said:

That thing is only there for Swiftsure.  I am not completely sold on the effectiveness.  I read the articles but...maybe I'll haul the boy up the mast.  Actually, he should haul me up.  I weigh less.

I don't think wrapping yourself in tinfoil and having your son haul you up the mast will qualify as a radar reflector.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, IStream said:

Nice. Is that a 42?

387. All that would fit in the slip (Dana Point, and they have rules, many rules....).

SWMBO really liked the aft cabin, so it became the boat. Old boat was an 1980 C-30, so a pretty good step up in comfort and speed. Heck, this one has intact gelcoat! (the C-30's deck was worn through to the glass in spots...)

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Thanks. In an oddly masochistic way I'm looking forward to the repair.

Ouch. What boat us that?  Looks like an IP of some sort.  Good lock with the repair.  

Cheers 

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

Here's your opportunity to glass in a substantial knee for the chains and get rid of that shitty glassed in design.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Here's your opportunity to glass in a substantial knee for the chains and get rid of that shitty glassed in design.

Can you elucidate? Always willing to consider different ideas.

56 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

Something like this.

image.png.41c05dd1a977fddb9a212fe3b7fd3e80.png

If you search on "chainplate knee" and check the image files you'll see lots of variety.

I despise metal embedded in glass, particularly metal that is a maintenance item.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

Your original failure was due to "crevice corrosion" which happens when SS is in an anaerobic environment-- precisely what glassing in the chainplates creates. I had the same failure on my Soverel...  didn't glass in the replacements ;)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, justsomeguy! said:

What vintage is yours?

Mine is a 1985.  Its spent all its llife in fresh water, so far.  We plan to change that in a few years

Very long story told very short....Ever since a family trip to Costa Rica our family adventure vehicle of any sort has been adorned by a bit of mojo in the form of an "Adventure Monkey". Here's the latest mascot aboard Kolibri.

boat_monkey.JPG

• Like 6
On 12/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, justsomeguy! said:

I just finished cutting out all my chain plates and the back stay. I hope you have more fun doing it then I did. 

40BFA703-B69C-4B15-9528-8D9A5F9272F6.jpeg

11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Please tell us you're not going to reinstall them that same horrid way.

Please.

I have spent a year mulling this over in my head. If I bolt the chain plates to the outside it changes the look of the boat too much, and yes aesthetics are important. I had also considered Installing knees like the photo but it would really ruin the pilot berth on the starboard side which is one of my favorite features on the boat and other issues. I also worry about insurance problems if I start changing the original design. Bottom line they have lasted 50 years and the last 20 were not with much maintenance. If they last only half as long with new ones then it won't be me that will be replacing them. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Albin Vega  "LUCKY" anchored in Davis Bay inside Decatur Head Washington State in 2 fathoms.  Just south of a half-tide rock that attracts the seals.  July 2019.  Took a walk over to the excellent little store in the middle of the island.tgV1uVRjpEZKg7ZDpuwlCJRN-mYKQuZPIRrFmCBWYx8gV6ZlKBdVuyw_MvDLolupAOSYp4atE_Kym-cpniKhuFwT8hnW2_7vcvsZWEmRGORsZHyUM3-i5_6oBf16-09RZUtQivkcpTs3vJ7In_Z_6oSJY2FCXkKq09wiQSSk8udQwqqWY5rGvh0jJb6aHNPEe94ksxLTmZPepIA95fLw2-09uh4Jc3iMqwdo_7YlBTbkpu3afLYBQMW0itsHh8pbmvOEAt3V84QQvsTMWAIMZ0ij07mYj92ejTg8OKcFjEPWmlevYeFuonsaKwCp1gFUmWdz2Ma2X9gwiwxdTLCe92AkRxsYCOsVYTP7y6WLStFbpcUlvzStR6wR8hTEkMSyiXhCsyogFv3hzvlwGWDO-MYDL_6NTa0e4GLxHCA3W5ZpRkRuIkUHDa9eoyZCV2GGqeieJeBZJAgPT54-2v905ounLySS9rl3HUGKH1zYmESoKzxPE72aI6_LAwy8RJtHjEE4It3WwXHsHQj44lZxIAw9KyNVrlmq_f8Di16KF01cxzSClrU3zFy6TgBsb3LeCA8HyG_uytKtv9PsXJovzGuCoYA5OM2P-RxMKbRgLo3YPPS5zoE3QmeKF_h_DVHJpHsJYbRiG0sZdXAfY-vcktXUO0gLMpNK5g-q7Bi3qgl7EsUWnG98KB4WXmQy=w423-h239-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, chester said:

aloha built a 27/28 foot perry design too.  a no non-sense, good quality, low volume builder i guess.

Yep. Perry designed the Aloha 26, also marketed as the 27, 8.2 and 271.

26' 9" LOA.

The last two were built by Dana Hunter Boatbuilding in Tatamagouche NS who bought the mould after Ouyang Yachts went under and were called the Parks 27. To this day I can access all of the templates stored inside said mould. Kind of handy to have.

We're alongside at the former Dundee Marina in Cape Breton, NS.

IMG_0410.JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The sun is setting: Anchor set (check), halyards tied off the mast (check),..."OW!", SLAP! Get the screens! 

From Canada to the Bahamas, most places we've sailed have some kind of flying-biting bug, that come out at night. 

My last couple of coastal cruisers had crappy bug screens. Broken plastic port screens and Velcro stick on(that no longer stuck) around the companionway. 

My current came with chunky bronze screens in the house side ports that are unbreakable. The overheads have wooden screens with bronze screening that may be original (built in Denmark where the boat was finished).

They give the illusion of keeping out a morning in Maine dew (but they do not). Two overhead gives lots of ventilation and the hatches are reversible if rain threatens. 

1993939401_Hatchwayscreenmorningdew.thumb.jpg.e29ac3da35e5956d1fec0dcb48abccc8.jpg

The best arrangement is the companionway. There is a sliding screen panel beneath the ceiling that is captive. A slot, aft, allows a panel to fit in and slide aft. 

731941881_Screensuppersliding_.thumb.jpg.114c732820d1e0eb3aa33628eaaf4337.jpg

Then two more hefty wooden frames fit into the vertical slots in the companionway. Those in, the entire companionway opening is ventilated and you can spend a bug-free, hot night, even in the most infested areas on the coast. 

2035722248_Screenstop_.thumb.jpg.5e059dd9daeb964cf2ee16d6a3683847.jpg

Do you need screens where you sail? What do you use? 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

The sun is setting: Anchor set (check), halyards tied off the mast (check),..."OW!", SLAP! Get the screens! 

From Canada to the Bahamas, most places we've sailed have some kind of flying-biting bug, that come out at night. 

My last couple of coastal cruisers had crappy bug screens. Broken plastic port screens and Velcro stick on(that no longer stuck) around the companionway. 

My current came with chunky bronze screens in the house side ports that are unbreakable. The overheads have wooden screens with bronze screening that may be original (built in Denmark where the boat was finished).

They give the illusion of keeping out a morning in Maine dew (but they do not). Two overhead gives lots of ventilation and the hatches are reversible if rain threatens. 

1993939401_Hatchwayscreenmorningdew.thumb.jpg.e29ac3da35e5956d1fec0dcb48abccc8.jpg

The best arrangement is the companionway. There is a sliding screen panel beneath the ceiling that is captive. A slot, aft, allows a panel to fit in and slide aft. 

731941881_Screensuppersliding_.thumb.jpg.114c732820d1e0eb3aa33628eaaf4337.jpg

Then two more hefty wooden frames fit into the vertical slots in the companionway. Those in, the entire companionway opening is ventilated and you can spend a bug-free, hot night, even in the most infested areas on the coast. 

2035722248_Screenstop_.thumb.jpg.5e059dd9daeb964cf2ee16d6a3683847.jpg

Do you need screens where you sail? What do you use? 

I'd love to see more detail on your screens.

So I have a three-level plan. First layer is those drape over bugbuster screens. The second layer is a mosquito coil in the cabin and in the cockpit footwell. The last and most entertaining, is two zapper tennis rackets.  Some evenings, if we are at anchor, we will have a contest to see who can get the most.  Scores of something like 56 to 42 are not unheard of in some anchorages. 

• Like 1

I thought you had your ports covered with some sort of paper illustrations but then I realized that is real life seen through them.

Wow!.

image.png.70c01fec3e0ecdd374e2e4e093912da3.png

• Like 1
On 2/10/2021 at 9:42 AM, Elegua said:

I'd love to see more detail on your screens.

So I have a three-level plan. First layer is those drape over bugbuster screens. The second layer is a mosquito coil in the cabin and in the cockpit footwell. The last and most entertaining, is two zapper tennis rackets.  Some evenings, if we are at anchor, we will have a contest to see who can get the most.  Scores of something like 56 to 42 are not unheard of in some anchorages. 

Those are the only photos I can find. We use citronella candles that come in a metal bucket. Like the organic repellants we have onboard, I don't think the candles work. :) But they're sort of a nice placebo. I had to google Zapper tennis rackets. Do they work? We get those annoying little biting flies occasionally and I wish for a fly swatter. Can you take flies out fo the air or is that advanced use? I might try one of those. 

I'm not sure you sailed last season but if you did, did you notice the lack of mosquitos? Even at night, I stopped using the screens regularly. I suppose it was the drought that (I think) we're still in.

We don't find mosquitos too bad in the bulk of our sailing grounds, probably because it's mostly islands. But there are pockets, especially inland and up creeks where they can be pretty thick at dusk. That had me thinking, how bad are they up the St. George? 

1 hour ago, Kris Cringle said:

Those are the only photos I can find. We use citronella candles that come in a metal bucket. Like the organic repellants we have onboard, I don't think the candles work. :) But they're sort of a nice placebo. I had to google Zapper tennis rackets. Do they work? We get those annoying little biting flies occasionally and I wish for a fly swatter. Can you take flies out fo the air or is that advanced use? I might try one of those. 

I'm not sure you sailed last season but if you did, did you notice the lack of mosquitos? Even at night, I stopped using the screens regularly. I suppose it was the drought that (I think) we're still in.

We don't find mosquitos too bad in the bulk of our sailing grounds, probably because it's mostly islands. But there are pockets, especially inland and up creeks where they can be pretty thick at dusk. That had me thinking, how bad are they up the St. George? 

We used a citronella candle until I kicked one over and got wax all over the teak. Coming from Asia, we tend to use mosquito coils. 

The tennis racket zappers work really well. Before they imported them into the US, we used to bring them as gimmick/gifts. Just swing away, especially at dusk when they are backlit against the sky, and you can get anything. The sense of satisfaction when you hear your tormenter pop and sizzle is grand.  It serves as entertainment with our sundowners. Bluebottles, wasps, gnats, mosquitos or any flying bug are all fair game.  Note, if going after bigger prey, like a large hornets, flying beetles you may have to pin them down to finish them off. You want a the biggest racket you can find, with less, as opposed to more, guards over the electrodes. Some of the US sold ones have these guards that make it harder to get the larger insects. 

I did notice fewer mosquitos last Summer. Generally I've found the level of mosquitos highly variable. I've had evenings in Merchant's Row where I wondered if we might be carried off and then evenings up the Sheepscott / Cross River where we encountered almost none.  Winter Harbor was one of the worst we've encountered. Regardless of location,  as soon as the boat is bedded down the screens and anti-mosquito defenses go up. 

I'd say they are just average to less than average in most places on the St George.  

• Like 1

Zappers are very good against mossies.  With two torches you can pin the little bastard in the beam and take them out.  Think searchlights and anti-aircraft fire.  Zappers not so good with flies, when an old school fly swat works well.  When going through the Riviere Salee in Guadeloupe made the discovery that a mosquito's max speed is thee knots.  Speed up and leave them behind.

• Like 1

We have framed screens to replace the top two companionway drop boards. 

We also have six opening hatches in the cabin top, plus two opening ports from the quarter cabin to the cockpit. All have screens. The hatch screens are hinged on one side. 

The forward hatch has its own dodger, so the hatch can stay open even offshore in moderate conditions.

The 4 Dorade boxes also have screens in the downtubes, as well as "wafer valves" to shut them entirely. 

A boat without screens in Maine or Nova Scotia in the summer is really just an abattoir for its inhabitants. 

And no, we didn't notice any particular lessening of numbers at Frenchboro, Buck's Harbor, Holbrook, McGlathery, IAH, Center Harbor, Or Perry's Creek. 

We have two styles of tennis racket zappers. One has fine mesh with a plastic lattice cover, the other has open wires with no cover. The fine one is good for mosquitoes, the bare one is better for wasps and horseflies, since they just bounce off the cover on the fine one without getting zapped.

8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We have two styles of tennis racket zappers. One has fine mesh with a plastic lattice cover, the other has open wires with no cover. The fine one is good for mosquitoes, the bare one is better for wasps and horseflies, since they just bounce off the cover on the fine one without getting zapped.

Pics? Links? Please?