Jump to content

Show your boat not sailing


Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

image.png.f89065f0b88cc8d619a305a3d6a5786c.png
 

What I like most about this (other than the fact that I have a little red wagon) are the future crew racing RC boats.

Great looking boat, and nice wagon and crew!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In The Pool, Georgian Bay:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here.   

My 10-days-new-to-me Nordic 44, chilling on Ocracoke this weekend.

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Kris Cringle said:

Floating, but not sailing yet,....

 

Kris, do you pull your masts every winter, or were they getting varnished?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bull City said:

Kris, do you pull your masts every winter, or were they getting varnished?

Every fall, Bull. Each spring I give the spars a maintenance coat. That's good for 15 to 20 seasons. Then the spar needs 'wooding' and a new base of varnish built up. 

 

Mast down allows me to inspect all fittings, etc. Plus the standing rigging isn't in the weather prolonging all the parts life. And as I tarp the boat, no mast makes that easy and the boat stays dry all winter. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bull City said:

Where was that taken? What kind of ketch?

Plymouth Massachusetts, 1986 Shannon 43 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, OSPREY said:

 

19 hours ago, Bull City said:

Where was that taken? What kind of ketch?

 

In transit now taking Tara from Plymouth Massachusetts to Oriental North Carolina, her new home. Presently in Port Washington NY at the city moorings. Nice town great price on the mooring 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OSPREY said:

In transit now taking Tara from Plymouth Massachusetts to Oriental North Carolina, her new home. Presently in Port Washington NY at the city moorings. Nice town great price on the mooring 

Congrats! My boat is in Oriental right now having a new pod drive installed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On its mooring of 18 months in Panamarina in Panama on the Caribbean coast.

 

IMG_2209.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why my boat is not sailing: 

1763341687_Sparready2021.thumb.jpg.7902aa3136aff4cec307d6a00e5948ca.jpg

I'll save you asking. After 22 years of ownership, I asked myself, "Why haven't you replaced those wire winches?". I thought, 'well let me count the ways' ; , new dodger, repower, new sails (bought one at a time), new cockpit, transmission rebuild(always include new shaft and coupling, of course)',...and on and on.

 

And the boat fund always came after college fund, house fund, food fund, etc. It's been a great boat and not as needy as many that will one day be 60 years old. 

 

Maybe next year, (although the dodger is serving notice for a replacment). In the meantime, I've gotten used to them and just take the winch handle out when not cranking. So I greased them and they're clicking away like rattlesnakes. 

The spar gets picked up today and we can begin rigging. What a strange year this is. 

In the old days, we used to transport it ourselves (usually after school). 

1749538056_Drivingthemast.thumb.jpg.098b304167bcbe32e416d7dbb707f4a5.jpg

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

In the old days, we used to transport it ourselves (usually after school). 

humm , child labour  ..............

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, TheDragon said:

On its mooring of 18 months in Panamarina in Panama on the Caribbean coast.

 

IMG_2209.jpg

Have you been able to get back to her? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2021 at 10:01 AM, Elegua said:

Have you been able to get back to her? 

I bought her in November 2019 and we had a short San Blas cruise. After three months kitesurfing in Cape Town, I tried in March 2020, but the country shut down around me. If I did not have my daughter with me and my wife back home I would have stayed there and gotten by, but they closed the airport from then till October, so short of sailing to Florida I would have had to stick it out, not very painfully, in the San Blas islands as several of my friends down there did. I had rotator cuff surgery in October so was laid up for many months.

Then I was down for three weeks working on the boat and going to do a short San Blas cruise with my wife when last Thursday I woke at 1AM in doubled-up pain with a kidney stone. My fourth in four decades, last required an operation, so I bailed. Three buses, two planes, one car, lots of painkillers and 27 hours later I was back home. CAT scan in ER confirmed four kidney stones. I've since painfully passed two small ones that were in ureters, operation scheduled for Wednesday for a big one in bladder, and there is a nasty little lurker in a kidney.

I'll go back in November with my daughter to give her the promised San Blas cruise, and then in February to go through the canal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheDragon said:

CAT scan in ER confirmed four kidney stones.

Ouch! You're a bag of rocks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheDragon said:

I bought her in November 2019 and we had a short San Blas cruise. After three months kitesurfing in Cape Town, I tried in March 2020, but the country shut down around me. If I did not have my daughter with me and my wife back home I would have stayed there and gotten by, but they closed the airport from then till October, so short of sailing to Florida I would have had to stick it out, not very painfully, in the San Blas islands as several of my friends down there did. I had rotator cuff surgery in October so was laid up for many months.

Then I was down for three weeks working on the boat and going to do a short San Blas cruise with my wife when last Thursday I woke at 1AM in doubled-up pain with a kidney stone. My fourth in four decades, last required an operation, so I bailed. Three buses, two planes, one car, lots of painkillers and 27 hours later I was back home. CAT scan in ER confirmed four kidney stones. I've since painfully passed two small ones that were in ureters, operation scheduled for Wednesday for a big one in bladder, and there is a nasty little lurker in a kidney.

I'll go back in November with my daughter to give her the promised San Blas cruise, and then in February to go through the canal.

Man that's and adventure....I've only ever passed a scab from a contused kidney. Most painful thing I ever experienced.  Cape Town kitesurfing seems a nice recompense for thwarted cruising. I had windsurfing SA friends that kept asking me to go and I stupidly never went. 

Hope you get a nice San Blas cruise with your daughter. Good on you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, llama said:

Definitely not sailing. Shit, not even rolling.

 

IMG_5678.JPG

Made some progress since that day. 

C4B957F9-9427-4EC6-97C2-CCEEB05F50BF.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dolphinmaster said:

Looks like a Beetle Cat with a tiny cabin.

And bench seats which are nice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The long rebuild is finally coming to the end...

 

841588069_WhatsAppImage2021-07-09at12_47_43.thumb.jpeg.9bb9d8622647b3fec7c92d83734f3179.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You say that like it's a bad thing

FB- Doug

An observation is not a judgement.  Curious what it really is.   A Beetle Cat was the 2nd boat I ever sailed alone, just don't remember fully whether they had the tiny cabin or flush deck.  Twas in the early 70's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dolphinmaster said:
13 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

You say that like it's a bad thing

 

An observation is not a judgement.  Curious what it really is.   A Beetle Cat was the 2nd boat I ever sailed alone, just don't remember fully whether they had the tiny cabin or flush deck.  Twas in the early 70's.

Sorry, couldn't resist  :rolleyes:

Beetles don't have a cabin, but IIRC they have a slightly bigger sister with bench seats that are like 3~4" above the floorboards and a tiny cuddy. I forget what it was called.

The catboat is the perfect type for around here... big sail for light air, shallow draft, lots of leg room, fun to sail. My father had a 22 footer in Oriental for years, a cheaper copy of a Marshall. I sailed Beetles and Rainbows all the time, as a kid. Didn't appreciate them back then, of course.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally here,

image.thumb.jpeg.0baddc64e3a1309aef799d77030436ec.jpeg
summer. 
 

As I pulled blankets off at 5am, pulled on pants, fleece, made a cup of coffee and went on deck to feel the warmth of the sunrise, should we be archiving mornings in Maine, on the water for future generations?

 

The dew on decks, the chill and the warmth of the sun on your back.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Trovão said:

The long rebuild is finally coming to the end...

 

841588069_WhatsAppImage2021-07-09at12_47_43.thumb.jpeg.9bb9d8622647b3fec7c92d83734f3179.jpeg

Will there be yellow again?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it might be an Oceanus 390, but I could be wrong. Just reading something on the side of the hull there…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely not sailing today.  (But that’s ok, we had a rocking sail last weekend, surprising ourselves how well the boat beat out of Nanaimo harbour channel in building 20 with a crap rolled up headsail and undersized old main [still, yes still, waiting for new, larger main to arrive...]...cautiously eyeing the lee shore behind us as we crawled out, and later hitting 7s going across Georgia Strait, which I’m good with for a 33’ steel hull.)

Today is painting day.  I installed a duct fan to take heat off the diesel heater chimney.  Paint first; then when it’s dry, some teak trim around the fan to pretty it up.  Hopefully it’ll keep my wife’s feet warmer when winter sailing —fall and winter are really just around the corner.  Well, it might not do a hell of a lot for onboard comfort, but it’s the thought and effort that counts anyway :-)

6FB24047-D7E5-406A-BDBC-F5E0A257B4C5.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 10:40 AM, IStream said:

Will there be yellow again?

Not if I want keep the admiral happy...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Trovão said:

Not if I want keep the admiral happy...

Still, that was a good look for a trimaran like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that don't get up before dawn. 

4:58am, the sun breaks over the eastern horizon.  

466689373_NorthHavenanchorage4-58.thumb.jpg.7cab7384a88083b5f1d43c6ba0aa2c75.jpg

5:38 and it's still the witching hour. 

1908288206_NorthHavenanchorage5-38am.thumb.jpg.f18ccbe3cc18e5050f4eb86dc554b4ee.jpg

North Haven village to our west still sleeps. 

1314118723_NorthHavenanchorage5-33am.thumb.jpg.0d70c0924fafd8ac2d6ec1637ed8313e.jpg

8:00 it's over and sentry's take their positions(outside the head): 

1377424209_NorthHavenanchorage8-00am.thumb.jpg.19f0702f88af906d436f58a46c61763b.jpg

As it turned out, the lobster boat races took place this morning. A dozen or more 'racing' fishing boats came by. Some had flags, some did not. Two political party flags. More important was that most went through the anchorage at reasonable speed before cracking their 1000hp engines open. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, dolphinmaster said:

An observation is not a judgement.  Curious what it really is.   A Beetle Cat was the 2nd boat I ever sailed alone, just don't remember fully whether they had the tiny cabin or flush deck.  Twas in the early 70's.

It’s a Sturdee Cat. Tough little boat. Edson Schock design. Originals were wood with canvas on deck. 14’4” with a 7’ beam. Draws 10” with board up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, llama said:

It’s a Sturdee Cat. Tough little boat. Edson Schock design. Originals were wood with canvas on deck. 14’4” with a 7’ beam. Draws 10” with board up. 

Nice!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2021 at 8:26 AM, pironiero said:

Whats this boat? that top window is so cool...

thats right, Benetuau 390 oceanis. yes I liked the windows but they crack easy and most owners will put "no step" signs on them. very $$ to replace.I found a photo of my boat with a former owner who raced it solo to hawaii. 

TransPac-transpac2000-free_spirit0.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So not sailing photos: Kids on the $1 sailboat. NAMO came with an older Yamaha (I think) 2 stroke outboard that they can't kill. 

Son young Tom at the helm, daughter MJ in the middle with her new 'friend', Tom (as if we need another Tom). Harry is there somewhere and new Toms dog, Tony (named after Anthony Bourdain). 

My wife and I both think US kids need to up their game in clothing, even when engaged in casual rec. What do you think? 

1801385768_NAMOTomMJTom.thumb.jpg.f9b8c6fb35388e6d3b84b203205aca02.jpg

We were drifting in the harbor. Last weekend was windless. 

301417380_NAMOXmasTT.thumb.jpg.3a54ef8c77985a65bcc4640cea957195.jpg

They actually raised sails. The beauty of a simple boat and the optimism of youth. They  drifted backwards with good sail trim, for some reason. 

It nice to get out in the harbor, wind or not. Indian Island lighthouse on the left. Lens looking straight SOUTH, that's Owls Head on the right horizon. Ajax was somewhere out there on his way back to Rockland (out of the right side of frame). 

93666701_NAMOTomMJTomfar.thumb.jpg.404f5c785723b4c24b1408cf646b3907.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

LED bulb test session...just completed replacing all bulbs that don't require going up the mast. 

IMG_3729_cr.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2021 at 12:50 PM, Kris Cringle said:

For those that don't get up before dawn. 

4:58am, the sun breaks over the eastern horizon.  

466689373_NorthHavenanchorage4-58.thumb.jpg.7cab7384a88083b5f1d43c6ba0aa2c75.jpg

5:38 and it's still the witching hour. 

1908288206_NorthHavenanchorage5-38am.thumb.jpg.f18ccbe3cc18e5050f4eb86dc554b4ee.jpg

 

Kris, your photos are crying out for a wider audience.

Calendar? coffee table book? Posters?  Framed prints and reassuringly obscene prices?

Whatever the medium, get them out there!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, chester said:

we must see more pic T

not much to show lately - just the boring cicle of bog/sanding/bog/sanding... repeated ad nauseam

now, at least the waterline is defined, for the antifouling paint...

1922573949_WhatsAppImage2021-07-23at12_04_14.thumb.jpeg.5ca96d893cc530fbe349f78b3be07f5f.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

50+ year old Albacore.   Almost all components, standing rigging and running rigging original.  Purchased about 6 years ago for $250.  

albacore.jpg

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

Cool boat. What is she?

1974 Vic Carpenter Custom

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cyclone said:

The sailboat never made it into the water last summer. Things are better this year.

5F86A920-94B9-4236-9711-F47666014214.thumb.jpeg.181bb66f9b721dc3cd69bc318a13d32a.jpeg

Trimaran?  Please tell us more

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bugsy said:

50+ year old Albacore.   Almost all components, standing rigging and running rigging original.  Purchased about 6 years ago for $250.  

albacore.jpg

Was that an Alcort boat?

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the Puffer, a 12' boat.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our boat not sailing, next to Francis Lee some years ago.

DSC_0686.thumb.jpg.24e7d46543bfe3322e17b6260aff56d1.jpg

She won't be sailing for a while since I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Our boat not sailing, next to Francis Lee some years ago.

DSC_0686.thumb.jpg.24e7d46543bfe3322e17b6260aff56d1.jpg

She won't be sailing for a while since I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Need to start paying your bookie, man. Gangland BC is polite, but they know what a hookeroon is for.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Diarmuid said:

Need to start paying your bookie, man. Gangland BC is polite, but they know what a hookeroon is for.

This would have been Gangland Alberta, except it was going down unlit stairs in an unfamiliar house. So, Stupidland BC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Our boat not sailing, next to Francis Lee some years ago.

DSC_0686.thumb.jpg.24e7d46543bfe3322e17b6260aff56d1.jpg

She won't be sailing for a while since I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Sorry to hear that Ish...  Hope you get some time on the water. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must need a vacation. Getting the boat ready on Saturday (for a Sunday am departure), I changed fuel filters, dashed into the fuel dock and topped off the 80 gallon tank, loaded blocks of ice, blew over to the public docks and filled 3 water tanks, cleaned decks, etc. etc. I could do this in my sleep (that is a bad attitude,...). 

 

All done motor out and decide to make a full speed run out into the harbor to be sure fuel filters are set, turn around and and back into the harbor, motor up to my mooring, hook it, I'm all done and set for AM departure. Then I hear the engine alarms go off from the bow. Wtf? 

 

Engine quit. That never happens, ever with this beloved engine. I installed it, I raised it,...

 

Well, air in the fuel lines right? Open the bleeders on the injection pump. Ah, air...Wait a minute, that looks like milk coming out. WTF, that's water, white water running out of the bleeder! 

 

OMG, I did the unthinkable, the stupidest thing you can do on a boat: When I put the hose into the third tank, I put it in the fill for the 80 gallon diesel tank. I was crushed by my mistake. I just gave my beloved Nissan diesel a good bath, internally.  

 

Don't panic, research, think, plan, fix it. Be optomistic: It's fresh water, what could that harm (don't ask this question on Sailng forums, you'll get alot of bad info with no experience, except maybe from this one). 

Sunday

1-Remove hose from standpipe to Racor, fresh water flow out into bilge. Of course, 80 gallon tank was almost full (thank god) so about 3 gallons of fresh come out before it turns pink-ish. STOP draining. 

2- Remove fuel sender from tank top. Insert 1/2" x 3'  PEX stiff tubing connected to drill pump. Go to lowest bulkhead in tank bottom of V. Start pumping into 5 gallon pail. Fill 1 pail 3/4 full and start to see pink. Swap pail for second and continue. Quickly turns all orange (mental note: stand pipe is about 3-5 gallons 'high'). Continue pumping and moving stiff PEX along corner of aft-low tank. 2 5 gallon pails almost full. Pour/funnel into 6 gallon jerry cans. 

3-Remove both filter elements. 

4- Hand pump fuel through system through the fuel injector opening bleeders until water is pushed out by fuel. 

5- Remove intake to ice box sump, exit to galley sink and pump top of bilge off into jerry can. This worked pretty well to skim off the top floating fuel. Put a new bilgesorb pillow in the deep bilge. 

5- Fill dinghy with tanks, bags of used paper towels, my sorry ass, go home and drink wine. 

Monday: Pick up filters (one obscure came from Bangor at noon after a 7:30, install. Note: It was a good thing to not install them before flushing with diesel. Both housings had copious water (bottom) from various piping, hoses, pumps etc. 

6-New filters installed, bled, open supply lines to injectors and pack with paper towels. Crank engine a little. Go below, look inside paper towels, water,... Do it again, check, again, a little pink, again. Tighten the lines on the injectors, glow plugs, crank. No go. 'Of course not, you filled it with water asshole, be patient',...

4 tries later, it begins to fire. A few seconds later it evens out and runs just like it did on Saturday morning. 

I ran it for half an hour eyeing the separator bowl. Flawless, much to my relief. Before leaving, I drained off the water seperator. Not a drop of H20. We're going on vacation! 

 

Oh one last thing before I leave the boat. Where is that can of engine paint? I have to paint a little round thing. 

 

Fuel fill.heic

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that was certainly a trip to the confessional! (if you were raised Catholic) Or airing your dirty laundry (if you were raised Calvinist).  You're a better man than me Tom, putting the story up on CA. Excellent description of how to go about purging your diesel system of water though. Enjoy your vacation now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, well, many of us have been there, done that, Kris. I might have been happily chatting with the fuel attendant while opening the fill plate.  It seems that putting a gallon or two of fuel in my water tank is more expensive that putting water in your fuel tank...  New tank, new lines, 40 gallons of what is now 'waste water' for special pump truck and appropriate recycling....   This could all have happened to 'a friend'...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Our boat not sailing, next to Francis Lee some years ago.

DSC_0686.thumb.jpg.24e7d46543bfe3322e17b6260aff56d1.jpg

She won't be sailing for a while since I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Sounds like it's time for one of these Ish - very traditional for sailors.

Antique 19th Century Civil War Leather & Wood Prosthetic Amputee Pirate Peg  Leg | Peg leg, Prosthetic leg, Prosthetics

Eye patch optional.

Sorry for your troubles & missing the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Sounds like it's time for one of these Ish - very traditional for sailors.

Antique 19th Century Civil War Leather & Wood Prosthetic Amputee Pirate Peg  Leg | Peg leg, Prosthetic leg, Prosthetics

Eye patch optional.

Sorry for your troubles & missing the season.

I would need the right peg option. However, I'm going with meat as long as I can.

The season was looking kinda iffy anyhow with smoke and water shortages all over, but I would have preferred to have the choice. Thanks for the thoughts. It's very smoky here, BTW.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

...  I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Ouch.

Sorry to hear it, hope you get back up on the pins and feeling better.

FB- Doug

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I must need a vacation. Getting the boat ready on Saturday (for a Sunday am departure), I changed fuel filters, dashed into the fuel dock and topped off the 80 gallon tank, loaded blocks of ice, blew over to the public docks and filled 3 water tanks, cleaned decks, etc. etc. I could do this in my sleep (that is a bad attitude,...). 

 

All done motor out and decide to make a full speed run out into the harbor to be sure fuel filters are set, turn around and and back into the harbor, motor up to my mooring, hook it, I'm all done and set for AM departure. Then I hear the engine alarms go off from the bow. Wtf? 

 

Engine quit. That never happens, ever with this beloved engine. I installed it, I raised it,...

 

Well, air in the fuel lines right? Open the bleeders on the injection pump. Ah, air...Wait a minute, that looks like milk coming out. WTF, that's water, white water running out of the bleeder! 

 

OMG, I did the unthinkable, the stupidest thing you can do on a boat: When I put the hose into the third tank, I put it in the fill for the 80 gallon diesel tank. I was crushed by my mistake. I just gave my beloved Nissan diesel a good bath, internally.  

 

Don't panic, research, think, plan, fix it. Be optomistic: It's fresh water, what could that harm (don't ask this question on Sailng forums, you'll get alot of bad info with no experience, except maybe from this one). 

Sunday

1-Remove hose from standpipe to Racor, fresh water flow out into bilge. Of course, 80 gallon tank was almost full (thank god) so about 3 gallons of fresh come out before it turns pink-ish. STOP draining. 

2- Remove fuel sender from tank top. Insert 1/2" x 3'  PEX stiff tubing connected to drill pump. Go to lowest bulkhead in tank bottom of V. Start pumping into 5 gallon pail. Fill 1 pail 3/4 full and start to see pink. Swap pail for second and continue. Quickly turns all orange (mental note: stand pipe is about 3-5 gallons 'high'). Continue pumping and moving stiff PEX along corner of aft-low tank. 2 5 gallon pails almost full. Pour/funnel into 6 gallon jerry cans. 

3-Remove both filter elements. 

4- Hand pump fuel through system through the fuel injector opening bleeders until water is pushed out by fuel. 

5- Remove intake to ice box sump, exit to galley sink and pump top of bilge off into jerry can. This worked pretty well to skim off the top floating fuel. Put a new bilgesorb pillow in the deep bilge. 

5- Fill dinghy with tanks, bags of used paper towels, my sorry ass, go home and drink wine. 

Monday: Pick up filters (one obscure came from Bangor at noon after a 7:30, install. Note: It was a good thing to not install them before flushing with diesel. Both housings had copious water (bottom) from various piping, hoses, pumps etc. 

6-New filters installed, bled, open supply lines to injectors and pack with paper towels. Crank engine a little. Go below, look inside paper towels, water,... Do it again, check, again, a little pink, again. Tighten the lines on the injectors, glow plugs, crank. No go. 'Of course not, you filled it with water asshole, be patient',...

4 tries later, it begins to fire. A few seconds later it evens out and runs just like it did on Saturday morning. 

I ran it for half an hour eyeing the separator bowl. Flawless, much to my relief. Before leaving, I drained off the water seperator. Not a drop of H20. We're going on vacation! 

 

Oh one last thing before I leave the boat. Where is that can of engine paint? I have to paint a little round thing. 

 

Fuel fill.heic 131.02 kB · 3 downloads

 

 

As Ish once said to me - "Don't you just hate it when everything fucks up because it's your fault"?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that, Ish. Hope it knits well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kris Cringle said:

I must need a vacation. Getting the boat ready on Saturday (for a Sunday am departure), I changed fuel filters, dashed into the fuel dock and topped off the 80 gallon tank, loaded blocks of ice, blew over to the public docks and filled 3 water tanks, cleaned decks, etc. etc. I could do this in my sleep (that is a bad attitude,...). 

 

All done motor out and decide to make a full speed run out into the harbor to be sure fuel filters are set, turn around and and back into the harbor, motor up to my mooring, hook it, I'm all done and set for AM departure. Then I hear the engine alarms go off from the bow. Wtf? 

 

Engine quit. That never happens, ever with this beloved engine. I installed it, I raised it,...

 

Well, air in the fuel lines right? Open the bleeders on the injection pump. Ah, air...Wait a minute, that looks like milk coming out. WTF, that's water, white water running out of the bleeder! 

 

OMG, I did the unthinkable, the stupidest thing you can do on a boat: When I put the hose into the third tank, I put it in the fill for the 80 gallon diesel tank. I was crushed by my mistake. I just gave my beloved Nissan diesel a good bath, internally.  

 

Don't panic, research, think, plan, fix it. Be optomistic: It's fresh water, what could that harm (don't ask this question on Sailng forums, you'll get alot of bad info with no experience, except maybe from this one). 

Sunday

1-Remove hose from standpipe to Racor, fresh water flow out into bilge. Of course, 80 gallon tank was almost full (thank god) so about 3 gallons of fresh come out before it turns pink-ish. STOP draining. 

2- Remove fuel sender from tank top. Insert 1/2" x 3'  PEX stiff tubing connected to drill pump. Go to lowest bulkhead in tank bottom of V. Start pumping into 5 gallon pail. Fill 1 pail 3/4 full and start to see pink. Swap pail for second and continue. Quickly turns all orange (mental note: stand pipe is about 3-5 gallons 'high'). Continue pumping and moving stiff PEX along corner of aft-low tank. 2 5 gallon pails almost full. Pour/funnel into 6 gallon jerry cans. 

3-Remove both filter elements. 

4- Hand pump fuel through system through the fuel injector opening bleeders until water is pushed out by fuel. 

5- Remove intake to ice box sump, exit to galley sink and pump top of bilge off into jerry can. This worked pretty well to skim off the top floating fuel. Put a new bilgesorb pillow in the deep bilge. 

5- Fill dinghy with tanks, bags of used paper towels, my sorry ass, go home and drink wine. 

Monday: Pick up filters (one obscure came from Bangor at noon after a 7:30, install. Note: It was a good thing to not install them before flushing with diesel. Both housings had copious water (bottom) from various piping, hoses, pumps etc. 

6-New filters installed, bled, open supply lines to injectors and pack with paper towels. Crank engine a little. Go below, look inside paper towels, water,... Do it again, check, again, a little pink, again. Tighten the lines on the injectors, glow plugs, crank. No go. 'Of course not, you filled it with water asshole, be patient',...

4 tries later, it begins to fire. A few seconds later it evens out and runs just like it did on Saturday morning. 

I ran it for half an hour eyeing the separator bowl. Flawless, much to my relief. Before leaving, I drained off the water seperator. Not a drop of H20. We're going on vacation! 

 

Oh one last thing before I leave the boat. Where is that can of engine paint? I have to paint a little round thing. 

 

Fuel fill.heic 131.02 kB · 4 downloads

 

 

Wow.  So sorry to hear.  It's one of my biggest fears.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

Wow.  So sorry to hear.  It's one of my biggest fears.

Was one of my biggest fears too. Can't explain it. I think I'm glad I wasn't using a table saw that day. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All the Broads hire boats have..

2-76705.thumb.jpg.c4c7b6dc2b9f5181253f63e9dd000e66.jpg

and another marked water.... Doesn't stop them putting the hose in the wrong one though..

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ishmael said:

She won't be sailing for a while since I am currently in hospital in Calgary with a broken leg. The same one I broke last time, also the one that had a knee replacement. Poor abused leg. Haulout on August 3 cancelled. Currently looking at options for getting home to Victoria. Bah humbug.

Ish, I am really sorry to hear this. I broke my leg skiing when I was 19. It was bad enough at that tender ago; I cannot imagine it at our age. You have my sympathy. I am using the sincere font.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2021 at 10:04 AM, Bull City said:

Was that an Alcort boat?

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking of the Puffer, a 12' boat.

My memory is that there used to be a 12' aluminum boat called a Petrel.  Is that the same thing as a Puffer?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Petrel was a 14' riveted aluminium boat. A friend had one - one of the first I sailed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

My memory is that there used to be a 12' aluminum boat called a Petrel.  Is that the same thing as a Puffer?  

 

51 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

The Petrel was a 14' riveted aluminium boat. A friend had one - one of the first I sailed.

You can relive those days:

http://www.aerocraft-boats.org/boats/1602/index.html

image.png.415fbe668a0e2f809d6e124da0bf7233.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Bull.

Apparently the vendor of Dell's boat lied about the LOA.

We also never got remotely close to planing in the thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

the 12 Petrel was my first sail boat.  the foam under the riveted sole was waterlogged...it took 4 of us to lift it onto a trailer  :o.  had that replaced, painted it,  wrenched together a kmart trailer and enjoyed it for about 3 years!  made by Alcan back when companies like that were "vertically integrated"

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, chester said:

the 12 Petrel was my first sail boat.  the foam under the riveted sole was waterlogged...it took 4 of us to lift it onto a trailer  :o.  had that replaced, painted it,  wrenched together a kmart trailer and enjoyed it for about 3 years!  made by Alcan back when companies like that were "vertically integrated"

Alcan made the Petrel at their Algoods subsidiary in the (now) trendy East Junction / Stirling Road area.  They brokered a gig to provide boats to sailing schools and camps, hence the proliferation of the boats across the country.

Alcan also diversified into the houseboat market, many different sizes built at Alloy Manuf. in Montreal.

Alcanboats-front2.jpg.988fec82d4d4e503d33bd04498c8a0af.jpg

 

Cheers!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, Bull City said:

I have a 9' Grumman aluminum dinghy... essentially an aluminum Dyer Dhow.  I also have a 9' Dyer.  The Dyer weighs about 100 lbs, maybe a little more.  The Grumman weighs about 35 lbs and is a work of art with aircraft style rivets on the outside of the hull.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites