Jump to content

Show your boat not sailing


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In The Pool, Georgian Bay:

Not sailing last weekend in the Fox Island Thoroughfare, Penobscot Bay, Maine. Fall, best light for photos, is here.   

Here is my new one. Definitely not sailing in these pictures. It will be soon. It is my design based off the profile of a Monk designed sloop I restored in the 1970's. 

Posted Images

On 9/15/2021 at 7:01 PM, Cruisin Loser said:

Gold is nearly twice the weight of lead per volume, and is quite malleable, making it almost an ideal material for a keel. 

Since the keel weighs 10,500 lbs, it's little wonder rainbows seem to follow us around. 

Polish guy topped off his keel with gold before he took off out of here about 25 years ago. Melted down his lifetime supply, cut out some lead, put the gold in and some lead poured over the top, painted bilge paint over it and set out for his homeland.

True story

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Kolibri in Berkeley Marine Center getting the old Volvo MD7A yanked out and replaced with an ElectricYachts QuietTorque motor. 

IMG_4004_cr.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished the Dickinson solid fuel stove install. Just in time, as it was 5C (41 F) on this particular night! Not as pretty as some marine fireplaces (like on Kris's boat) but its cozy.

 

Dickinson Newport.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kolibri said:

Kolibri in Berkeley Marine Center getting the old Volvo MD7A yanked out and replaced with an ElectricYachts QuietTorque motor. 

IMG_4004_cr.jpg

Can you give some details? HP? Battery type? Watt Hours? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

Can you give some details? HP? Battery type? Watt Hours? 

ElectricYachts QuietTorque 10 motor, ~15Hp. Batteries will be either 4 ePropulsion E80s or 2 E175s. We need to get the diesel fully removed to do detailed measurements to see if the E175s will fit. The E80s will definitely fit based on my rough measurements with everything in the way. The E175's are preferred as it ends up being 350 AHr at 48V vs 320 AHr. Price differential is ~$20. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maldwin said:

  A couple of shots of my Ralph Stanley Friendship Sloop, now sold. 

508F82A7-8298-4B1B-8F4B-4BB13B45A130.png

DED329EC-4854-4A25-8A90-CEFD59CBDF09.jpeg

Near Stonington?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kolibri said:

ElectricYachts QuietTorque 10 motor, ~15Hp. Batteries will be either 4 ePropulsion E80s or 2 E175s. We need to get the diesel fully removed to do detailed measurements to see if the E175s will fit. The E80s will definitely fit based on my rough measurements with everything in the way. The E175's are preferred as it ends up being 350 AHr at 48V vs 320 AHr. Price differential is ~$20. 

I have one E80. So far, so good.

Did you use a "consultant" in the design of your set up? Will the battery "talk" with your throttle controller?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bull City said:

I have one E80. So far, so good.

Did you use a "consultant" in the design of your set up? Will the battery "talk" with your throttle controller?

I did a ton of research on what is out there and talked with reps from OceanVolt and ElectricYacths. OceanVolt was considerably more expensive and not based in the US. ElectricYachts provided some great system sizing engineering. They have also been doing a lot of testing with the ePropulsion batteries along with several installations using those batteries. The "data sync" mentioned on the ePropulsion website is most likely proprietary. The ElectricYachts controller monitors battery SOC, charge & discharge current, temp, etc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, Jim in Halifax said:

Finally finished the Dickinson solid fuel stove install. Just in time, as it was 5C (41 F) on this particular night! Not as pretty as some marine fireplaces (like on Kris's boat) but its cozy.

 

Dickinson Newport.jpg

We had a Force 10 equivalent on our Paceship 26.  Many pleasant memories 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Crash said:

It was a big ole moon last night, wasn't it?  Great pic.

I think it was actually full last night.  Helped illuminate my work up the mast - it was very bright - but I still needed a headlamp so that I could see perfectly where I was drilling and to not drop screws in the dark  :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Crash,

how goes out there in beautiful Cali.  Back from ME/NE a few weeks ago and now NB in Winter harbor in Baltimore, Port Covington.   Gorgeous solo sailing all summer “Down East”.    NB now outfitted with Quantum CF main, UK 105 jib, Quantum Code Zero (yummy sail :).

We need to sail together soon…DTB 2013 still my best memory with you and the guys!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...